Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer is in part one. . . .spoilers to come. . . . .be warned. . . . .PG-13
Andrew is my invention. . .






Hell To Pay
part XII
by Trisha






Parker eased her tired body into the seat on the plane, and closed her eyes. Leaving Jarod alone with Nicholas was one thing but with Lyle snooping around and the fact that Carter was connected to the Centre bothered her.

She should be bringing him back to the Centre in shackles, instead of letting him recuperate in a hospital bed, but the fact that he learned more about Thomas's death was the one of the many reasons she wasn't turning him in. The only problem was that she really didn't want to analyze all the other reasons why. Fear of the truth prevented her from admitting the real reasons, not only to herself but even to him. He wasn't sitting on this plane, handcuffed, because . . . .an incessant beeping from a passenger's pager interrupted her train of thought, bringing her back to the realization that she had almost lost him. It was too much to deal with at the moment, it wasn't like he could defend his actions or his thoughts over the last few days, hell he hadn't been lucid half the time. He probably didn't even remember saying those two words to her. Two words she wanted to forget, only because those words were becoming synonymous with death when connected to her. Damn him, she thought until she glanced at the card that informed the passengers of the inflight movie and smiled. Ever After, what the hell she thought? She had enjoyed seeing it with Debbie, and she slipped the earphones into her ears.

***

Lyle stormed out of the police station in a huff, Andrew at his heels.

"I don't need you breathing down my neck, so back off," Lyle sneered at the sweeper.

"YOU dragged me on this little expedition, sir. I was suppose to be in North Carolina testing the latest group of recuits."

"The recuits can wait. I need to find that moron, Carter. If those ledgers fall into the wrong hands, the entire operation is doomed. It'll be very hard to take control of the Centre without loyal followers, Andrew. Renewal wing is but a temporary vacation. Death, Andrew, is permanant. I need those damned ledgers. I have no idea what possessed Caleb to send those ledgers to his brother."

"He was worried about the crack down by the feds and you know that. After what happened in Georgia, earlier this year, he didn't want to take any chances. Sending them to his brother was the smartest thing he could have done. Dumbest thing was Wayne going postal. . . .didn't he realize that justice would have been served."

"He lost his daughter, Andrew. He snapped . . . .it happens. I wonder if he's developed a taste for blood now. Once you kill someone the urge to do so again gnaws at you until you act on it," Lyle looked over at the sweeper, who was nodding his head in acknowledgment.

"So what do we do now, Mr. Lyle? We'll only draw attention to ourselves if we stay here. And from the reception we received from that Captain Scott, I'd say that leaving is for the best. We don't need to draw anymore attention to this than there already is."

"Very true. And I don't need the lab-rat to show up and discover those ledgers, or God forbid my sister," his voice was castic," Home to Blue Cove, Andrew."

***

She exited the plane and made for the rental booth, knowing that Broots wouldn't let her down and that a car would be waiting for her. Entering the airport teminal, she was greeted by Syndey instead.

"Syd?"she looked around waiting for the the second stooge to show up.

"So, how was he?" his voice low and full of concern.

"Showing signs of improvement, his cocky attitude was beginning to emerge when I left. He still has trouble remembering things in chronological order but he's mending," she broke off the conversation, then looked Sydney directly in the eyes," We need to talk, Syd. Do we have time before heading into the lion's den?"

"I'll make time, Miss Parker."



TBC



Feedback please ! Ractrish@aol.com