Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer is in part one. . .don't own them just miss them so here is the long awaited part of Hell to Pay.
I have to thank Niceole for the insights and suggestions that made this piece what it is. . .she has become my muse in a sense. . .Rated PG-13, Spoilers this season, J/MPF




Hell To Pay
part XI
by Trisha






Broots ran the check again. Then a third time. How the hell did he miss that? God! Miss Parker was going to kill him for missing something so obvious. Carter slipped past the police and made it to the compound that his brother lived on with other members of the militia.That was a given. What he had missed was that this militia group was Centre backed for training assassins. Did Carter's brother have any knowledge regarding Centre activities such as Jarod? Glancing over his shoulder, Broots began to access the militia's computer mainframe, any and all information regarding the centre would be of vital importance. He needed to find out who their contact at the Centre was, then he would have something to pass along to Miss Parker. He needed to make sure that there were no trails leading back to the Centre. He routed all the information from this search to a database on the web. Searching for the Centre's prized Pretender had taught Broots a thing or two about secrecy. Never ever let the enemy know what you know. The sound of voices in the hallway alerted him to the dangerous position he would be in if found with this case sensitive material in his possession. Quickly accessing the latest leads that the Centre had on the Major and clone, Broots released his breath as the Chairman, his son and Mr. Cox entered the room. Lyle's importance in the Centre seemed to end when his father returned with what seemed to be his right hand man-Cox. Ever since the birth of the baby, the demise of Mutumbo, and Brigette's betrayal and subsequent death in childbirth, Mr. Parker had gained a great deal of respect from triumvirate members.

"So, Broots, what's the latest regarding the Major and the clone?" Mr. Lyle asked, that sadistic smile on his face.

"Nothing, Mr. Lyle," he stammered and he tightened his shoulders as they came to stand around him. Ever since he had been cornered by Mr. Cox in the men's room, being in the same room with the man, caused Broots to break out in a cold sweat.

"Well keep looking," the Chairman said," Where's Angel?"

"Returning later this evening, Mr. Parker," the voice was that of Sydney's.

The ringing of a cell phone interrupted the gathering, as Lyle pulled it out of his jacket pocket. His facial features twisting in anger at whatever had been revealed to him on the other end.

"If you will excuse me, it's important," Lyle turned and walked toward the elevator.

******

Parker had returned to the hospital with the keys to Jarod's apartment and the address written out on a sheet of paper for Nicholas. Strolling down the corridor she was greeted by Detective Fellows.

"Detective," she smiled.

"Miss Parker," he returned the grin, and watched her walk into the ICU unit. She turned around and looked him in the eyes.

"I have to return to work for a few days but then I'll be back and hopefully with news regarding Carter's whereabouts. He's going to pay for what he did."

One tough lady, he thought as he watched her turn back toward the double doors, and not one he'd want to met in a dark alley.

As she opened the door to Jarod's room, Nicholas got out of the chair he had been occupying and excused himself. Jarod was sleeping, and in some ways he looked worse than when she left him, his head and shoulders were slightly elevated, and his face pale, instead of flushed. He opened his eyes and it took him awhile to focus, but once he did a small smile graced his features.

"Hi," he said.

"How you feeling?" What a silly question, she thought, once the words left her mouth.

"Truthfully?"

"From you, I'd expect nothing less," she returned the smile.

"I hurt. All over," he said with delibrate slowness.

"You know that I have to go back to the Centre," a frown crossed her brow as she watched his body tense at that," I said, I have to go back, not you."

He eased somewhat and she took a seat beside him on the bed, her hand on top of his, blue eyes boring into his brown ones.

"Who's the Magician, Jarod, and don't tell me its you? I unscrambled the letters, what I don't understand are the numbers."

"The Magician," he started to move his head, when a wave of dizziness took hold. He blanched and drew a sharp breath, not before he closed his eyes. He never increased the pressure on her hand, but she saw his other hand clench the sheets, tightly. Parker waited for it to pass, then asked again.

"Who's . . ."

"Someone in the Centre," he said as he tried to rise up from the bed," I remember that much. Parker, is Brigette dead?" She nodded her head, in the affirmative.

"Oh no, you don't," her hands rested lightly on his shoulders, pushing him back on to the bed," I've got to get going. You need to rest. Nicholas is going to keep you company until I return."

"Parker, wait," it was just above a whisper. She looked at his face. Waiting.

"Talk to Sydney about everything. No secrets, okay? You can trust him."

She gave his hand a squeeze.

"Get some rest. Get better, Jarod. I'll be back in a few days, promise."

"Then you have to promise me-no secrets. Talk to Sydney." He tightened his hold on her hand.

"If the Centre had this room wiretapped, I'd be a dead woman. Here I am holding hands with the man I'm suppose to bring back, for Christ's sakes." She looked him into his eyes, "But since you always seem to help me when I need it, I promise. Okay."

He relaxed and then released her hand.

"Good. Come back, soon." He closed his eyes and soon his breathing pattern was a steady rhythm that told her he was asleep. She left the room, a million questions swirling around her in her head. All of them, unanswered. Who was the Magician? And what was this person's involvement in Thomas' death? Hadn't that been settled months ago, when Brigette confessed to killing him. Orders not from the triumvirate but from inside the Centre. Maybe this Magician was the one that ordered the killing of Thomas. Seemed her return to the Centre was twofold. Find out the identity of the Magician and if there was a score to settle, she'd settle it. The other was to discover any information about Wayne Carter.

As Parker started to exit the double doors of the hospital, she glanced out and caught sight of a familiar black Lincoln sedan. Centre issue. Stepping back into the alcove, she reached behind her back for her phone.

"This is Sydney."

"What the hell is a Centre car doing here?"

" Broots discovered that Carter's brother belongs to a milita unit in North Carolina."

"Great! And?"

"It's backed with Centre monies, Parker. They train assassins there. Lyle got a call about three hours ago. If you saw a Centre car, it's Lyle. Broots tapped into the militia's mainframe and downloaded their records. Lyle's their contact."

"Damn! If he finds Jarod or myself here. . . ."

"I've called Captain Scott and told her that Lyle is a reporter for an out of town paper. Believe me, he won't get any information other than the fact that Wayne Carter is an escaped fugitive."

"So how does that protect Jarod?"

"Seems that Detective Snow isn't talking to anyone. Would compromise the trial, once Carter is caught Dectective Snow will testify. He'll meet with Lyle but. . ."

"Meet with Lyle! Are you crazy?"

"Parker, what name was Jarod using on this pretend?"

That question caught her off guard. The name, Jarod was using for this pretend. Collins. Detective Jarod Collins is what it said on his chart. Not Dectective Snow. A chuckle escaped her lips.

"Parker!"

"Snow huh, as in snow job, Syd."

****

After talking to Captain Scott, Parker learned that Lyle had paid the woman a visit, trying to glean any information he could regarding Carter's whereabouts and his residence. Captain Scott informed Lyle that the officer involved in the shooting was under protective custody for safety reasons, but that she would arrange a meeting once she verified his creditals with the newspaper he represented. As for his residence it was only accessible to authorized personnal, press excluded.

Parker's intution told her that Lyle was not to be trusted, that he would not leave the area so easily. Another call to Broots, and hospital records where dummied as to the injuries Detective Snow had received. Returning to the hospital's foyer, Parker stabbed a manicured finger on the elevator's up button, waiting impatiently for the doors to open. On the ride up to the ICU unit Parker comtemplated her actions. One word summed it up-Magician. She needed that information and Jarod was the only one that had any idea as to that person's identity and agenda. When she walked into Jarod's room, he was awake and more alert than earlier, the antibiotics working their magic. It hit her just how glad she was to see that he was doing well, yet a pang of jealous accompanied the feeling. Nicholas and he had been engaged in an animated conversation that suddenly stopped when she entered.

"Has it been a few days already?" he quipped," Man, I'm sicker that I thought."

"Smart ass! You're looking better."

"So the reason for the return visit?" he quiered.

"Lyle's in town," she replied, her whispered words echoing in the small room, loudly.

"And?"

"Has your fever returned?" she approached the bed and reached out a hand for his forehead.

"Captain Scott already called. Go back to Blue Cove, Parker, I'll be fine."

"Tell me something I believe," the sarcasm dripping.

"Believe me, I have an entire police force looking out for me and a fine babysitter, here in Nicholas." he grinned as he took her hand in his.

"So now I'm a glorified babysitter, am I?" Nicholas laughing.

"I'm still not convinced," she eyed the two men suspiciously.

"We could sign an oath in blood," Nicholas said looking from Jarod to Parker.

"Oh God, you've corrupted him already. What will I tell Sydney?" she smiled as she headed for the door.

"The truth, Parker. You promised," his tone urgent.

Parker paused in the doorway and studied the two men and then shook her head as the door closed behind her.




Feedback please ! Ractrish@aol.com