Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Destiny

By: Gemini-M

Chapter 7

"No Love, no friendship can cross the path of our destiny without leaving some mark on it forever." Francois Muriac

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Author's Note: A warning, this chapter contains a major character death and lots of angst. Please, please don't hate me if I make you cry. I'm going to need more Kleenex myself. Well, I hope you all have enjoyed my story as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Again, my Thanks to mfkngst, ICD, suspensewriter, Crazyrussiangal, and zeilfanaat for your wonderful reviews. I'm sorry if I forgot anyone else. Also a million thanks to Jaccione for all her help. An unknown author wrote the second quote in this story.

Inside the Nursery


Broots held the little boy close to him and tried to remain as calm as possible for the child's sake, but his heart was racing and his mouth was so dry he could hardly speak.

"A...Angelo, wh...What are we going to...do?" Broots whispered.

The little boy looked with curiosity at the nervous man holding him and asked, "Where are my mom and dad?"

Broots looked at Angelo with panic and when Angelo did not reply, he finally met the little boy's eyes and smile slightly. "Ah...ah...your mommy and daddy will be back real soon." Broots murmured softly. "They have to talk to some men outside, so we have to be very quiet. Do you think you can do that?"

The little boy nodded at Broots and then looked at him suspiciously. "Why are you scared?"

Broots looked at the boy with wide-eye shock. This kid was way too smart to be fooled. How was he going to explain the reason why he was shaking like a leaf? "Oh... I'm not scared; I'm...ah...just a little cold." Broots replied smiling.

"No you're not cold, you're scared. I can feel it." The little boy looked at Broots straight in the eyes with defiance. "Why did you lie?"

Broots froze at the child's question, and for an instant, he could have sworn that he was looking into Jarod's eyes. This little boy was very special and obviously had inherited both parents' gifts. No wonder the Centre had kept him a secret all this time.

Before Broots was able to answer the boy's question, Angelo approached and said with a big grin, "Adam wants to play game?"

Adam immediately forgot about his interrogation and jumped to Angelo's arms. While playing with Angelo's red locks he giggled happily, "I like games."

Angelo put Adam on the floor next to the air vents and signaled Broots to approach. "Adam, we play hide and seek OK?" Angelo looked at Broots and winked "You go hide with Broots and I seek."

The little boy nodded his agreement with delight as he started to jump around. "Can Mommy and Daddy play with us too?"

Broots looked at Adam while putting a finger to his lips. "Sshh...sshh, we have to be very quiet OK?" As he tried to contain the tears that were threatening to fall he continued, "I'm sure that you Mom and Dad would love to play with us later, but now we will play with Angelo."

As Broots looked at the little boy's face, he dreaded to think about what was happening a few feet away, outside those doors. The two people he considered his best friends could possibly lose their lives in order to protect their child. He could not let them down. He owed them so much. Jarod had saved his life and had helped him get his little girl back. He would never be able to repay him for that. On the other hand, Miss Parker had been there for him and his daughter whenever they needed her. He admired and feared her at the same time, but she was a true friend. He always would have a special place in his heart for this outstanding woman.

"OK, lets go hide!" Adam said smiling happily, as he raised his arms up to Broots.

Broots was suddenly pulled from his thoughts with the child's enthusiastic call. He gave Adam a big smile and scooped him up in his arms, while the little boy giggled with joy. "OK Adam lets go find ourselves a good hiding place."

Angelo removed the vent cover and allowed Broots to place the little boy in the opening before he tapped Broots on the shoulder. When Broots turned around, Angelo gave the nervous techie an unexpected hug. "Broots, good friend." Angelo looked at Broots with confidence. "Take care of Adam. Find way out."

"Angelo, what if I get lost?"

"Broots smart, find way out."

"Angelo, what about Jarod and Miss Parker?" Broots asked with concern for his friends.

"Angelo help Jarod and sister. You go and keep boy safe." Angelo replied as he pushed Broots towards the opening. "Must go now."

While Angelo covered the vent, Broots whispered, "Good luck Angelo, and be careful."

Adam waved goodbye to his funny little friend with the wild hair. Angelo smiled sadly and waved back while he covered his eyes and started to count for his pretend game with the little boy.

As soon as Broots and the boy were out of sight, Angelo ran across the room and checked on his friends on the other side of the door. Nothing had changed. It was up to him to help them. Frantically, Angelo looked around the room for something he could use as a distraction and finally his eyes fell upon an object. Once he was armed with his weapon, he stood by the door waiting for the right moment to make his move. As he waited, Angelo closed his eyes and found himself reminiscing.
He recalled meeting Jarod and Miss Parker for the first time. "His name is Angelo, he doesn't talk much." He remembered, Miss Parker giving him his first box of Cracker Jacks with the toy surprise he loved so much. The three of them had become best friends and had learned to survive. Now they were more than friends, they were like brothers. Jarod had kept in contact even after his escape, and now his sister had learned to trust them. Finally, she was also free from the evil that ruled this hidden world. This would be their final battle together, and they had to win. His friend and sister had found the boy and the boy needed his mom and dad. Angelo kept telling himself, they have to be alright for the boy.

Angelo could feel the anger burning inside his veins like never before. He would not let anyone hurt his friend and sister. They were his only family and he would fight for them to the very end.


The hall outside the Nursery

Lyle and Willy stood their ground and continued to point their weapons at Jarod and Miss Parker. Lyle was confident that he had the advantage. Willy was an expert sharpshooter and Jarod would not risk getting Miss Parker killed. Nevertheless, Jarod was very clever and could be a very dangerous man when pushed to the limits of his sanity.

"Jarod, I suggest that you come peacefully and nothing will happen to Miss Parker." Lyle smiled in a mocking manner. "Our father does not want to see Miss Parker hurt.

"THAT BASTARD IS NOT MY FATHER" Parker replied coldly.

"Well, according to the DNA tests, he is your FATHER." Lyle smiled wickedly.

"Those results were tampered with and I have the evidence." Jarod stated calmly.

Jarod's remark infuriated Lyle. How had Jarod learned about the false DNA results given to Miss Parker's colleagues? His father was right, Jarod had become a nuisance and he was more trouble than what he was worth. His usefulness as a Pretender had ended. Now it was time for the new generation of Pretenders to take over.

Parker gasped. "Jarod, why didn't you tell me?"

"I just recently obtained data from Angelo that confirmed my suspicions." Jarod whispered without taking his eyes from his adversaries. "But you already know who it is."

"What?" Parker said surprised.

"ENOUGH TALKING" Lyle shouted angrily. "Parker, I guess it's up to you to make the choice. Come with us and live or stay with the Lab rat and die."

Jarod met Parker's eyes and glanced towards the Nursery doors a few feet behind them.

Miss Parker immediately understood Jarod's plan. He was going to cover her, while she made a run back to the Nursery. Panic flowed through her entire being. Jarod was willing to die to save her. No, she was not going to allow this to happen. There had to be another way out.

"No, I'm not leaving you alone." Parker whispered as she squeezed Jarod's arm, letting him know that she was standing by his side no matter what.

"Parker, please." Jarod begged almost inaudibly. "It's the only way."

"I'm not going anywhere without you." Parker stated firmly.

Unexpectedly, the doors to the Nursery flew open and a white cold cloud filled the corridor, as Angelo charged screaming at Lyle with the fire extinguisher. Everything seemed to move in slow motion as their panic and instinct for survival assaulted every nerve in their body.

Angelo's abrupt attack caught Lyle and Willy by surprise, but Jarod took the opportunity to push Parker towards the safety of the Nursery, while the bullets flew all around them. Angelo tried to wrestle the gun away from Lyle, but the taller man overpowered the empath and shot him.

At the sound of the gun firing, Jarod turned around just as his friend crumbled to the ground.

"NOOOOOO!" Jarod yelled.

Jarod stopped for an instant as panic rushed through him. He wanted to go help Angelo, but he had to get Parker to safety first. He prayed that his friend would be alright. He had to be. Angelo was more than a friend, he was like a brother. He would be damned if he allowed The Centre to take his life now that they were so close to their freedom. As the adrenalin and fury burned through his veins, Jarod fired his weapon repeatedly towards the smoke before running back to cover Miss Parker.

Just a few feet away from the Nursery doors, Miss Parker heard a sharp explosive sound, and she felt a burning sensation as the bullet tore through the flesh in her shoulder. She didn't feel much pain but the force of the impact threw her against the wall. As her body slid to the floor, leaving a trail of blood, she returned fired against Willy, hitting the dark man in the chest.

Willy dropped his gun and crashed to the ground with a loud thud. Lying on the floor motionless, he stared at Parker with a wide-eyed shock as his life slipped away.

Jarod was a few feet away firing at Lyle, when Parker went down. Lyle had managed to hide behind the corner at the end of the hall, but Jarod and Parker were still out in the open. Jarod ran to help Parker, but before he could reach her, Lyle fired upon him and struck him in the leg. Jarod crashed to the floor in agony as the bullet pierced the flesh in his leg.

"JAROD!" Parker screamed.

Holding onto his wounded leg, he pushed himself against the wall and shouted desperately, "PARKER GET TO THE NURSERY NOW!" Trembling, Jarod fired a few more rounds in Lyle's direction and reloaded his weapon.

Parker's heart was racing and she could feel her lungs constrict. She looked at Jarod with fear and concern while the tears blurred her vision. He was still shooting at Lyle, but she could see that he was hurt badly. She had to do something and fast. This was a fight for their survival. Parker blinked back the tears and rushed over to help Jarod.

"PARKER GO." Jarod cried out in pain. "YOU NEED TO GET OUT NOW."

Parker kneeled down and pulled Jarod by his jacket, "I'M NOT LEAVING YOU BEHIND, SO SHUT UP AND GET UP."

Quickly Miss Parker maneuvered herself like a crutch under one of Jarod's arm and pulled him to his feet. Jarod was losing a lot of blood and his face was pale and clammy. This was a bad sign he was going into shock. She wanted to stop the bleeding, but first they had to reach the safety of the Nursery.

With all her strength, and ignoring the throbbing pain in her shoulder, Miss Parker started to drag Jarod back to the Nursery, "Hold on Jarod, we're almost there."

"Parker, what...are you...doing?" Jarod cried out in pain.

"I'M SAVING YOUR BUTT GENIUS." She said firmly. "WE'RE GETTING OUT OF HERE ALIVE ,AND DON'T ARGUE WITH ME."

"Parker...I can't go on." Jarod grimaced with every step. "Please get yourself to the Nursery. Think about the baby."

"JAROD, WE STARTED THIS TOGETHER AND WE ARE GOING TO FINISH IT TOGETHER." She shouted, as she gazed at him with concern. "NOW KEEP MOVING."

At last, they had reached the Nursery doors, but completely focused on getting Jarod and herself inside, Miss Parker had ignored the dark figure approaching them. When she looked up, Lyle was standing less than ten feet away, pointing his gun with a fierce look in his eyes. He was also wounded in the arm, and like a wild animal, that made him more dangerous. She knew that Lyle was a very disturbed individual, but his hatred of Jarod had brought out his savage malicious nature. He was not following orders anymore. Lyle wanted revenge. She had stood up to him many times in the past and even threatened him, but this time she was truly afraid. This monster was out for blood and nothing could stop him now.

"YES, YOU'RE GOING TO FINISH TOGETHER, BUT DEAD." Lyle growled enraged.

"Lyle, let Parker go." Jarod paused to catch his breath. "It's me you want."

"Jarod, No!" Parker begged.

"Too late Lab rat" Lyle smiled. "I have changed the rules. I have given new termination orders."

Parker felt a cold chill run down her spine as she heard the viciousness in his words. Lyle was a psychopath and he was determined to kill them both. She held Jarod tighter and prayed to a God she had seldom reached for, but now needed desperately.

"Lyle it's over." Jarod paused and blinked to clear his vision. "The Centre is finished. Your only way out is to surrender."

"Well, you see Jarod, I'm not you. I am not going to allow them to lock me up for the rest of my life. Therefore, there is only one way out for me. I'll escape or I'll die."

Jarod knew there was no reasoning with this lunatic. Lyle had made up his mind to kill them both. He had to take him down swiftly or Parker was going to die as well. He only prayed that he had enough strength left in him to carry this out and save Parker. Jarod stared coldly into Lyle's eyes and tightened his grip around his gun.

"I'm sorry Parker." Jarod whispered almost inaudibly.

Before Parker could react to his words, Jarod released himself from her hold and pushed her through the Nursery doors.

Before he could turn back to face Lyle's attack, he heard the gun explode and instantly felt a cold numbing sensation on his back. Jarod gasped in pain and collapsed.

From inside the Nursery, Parker watched helplessly as Jarod crashed to the ground.

"JAROD, NOOOOOO!" Parker screamed.

Lyle continued his advance to finish the downed man without mercy. When he was about to reach Jarod's motionless body, a second and third shot was heard echoing through the hall. Lyle's body was thrown violently against the wall as blood gushed from two bullet holes in his chest.

"OH MY GOD NO!" Sydney screamed in horror as he dropped his weapon and ran to Jarod's side followed by Sam.

"JAROD!" Ethan gasped and stood frozen at the end of the hall.

Before they reached Jarod, Miss Parker ran out of the Nursery and knelt at his side. She pulled Jarod into her lap and held him protectively as the tears streamed down her face.

"JAROD, WHY DID YOU DO THAT?" Parker cried desperately while trying to apply pressure on the wounds. "DON'T YOU DARE DIE ON ME."

"JAROD, YOU'RE GOING TO BE ALRIGHT." Parker demanded. "YOU HEAR ME."

Sydney knelt next to Parker and quickly applied a tourniquet with his belt on Jarod's leg to stop the bleeding. He could feel the tears welling in his eyes. They were tears of pain and anger. Why did this have to happen now? Jarod and Parker didn't deserve this. They have suffered so much all their lives. Why was fate so cruel to them? Sydney asked himself.

"Jarod hold on Please." Sydney begged while holding Jarod's hand. "You're going to be alright."

Slowly, Jarod opened his eyes and smiled. "Not this time Sydney."

"SAM GET HELP." Parker screamed.

Jarod looked at Parker with concern and reached for her face. "Are you...alright?"

"I'm fine Jarod. Please hold on. Help is coming." She begged as the tears kept falling onto his face.

"Is our son alright?" Jarod asked with painful breaths.

"Yes...yes, Angelo and Broots must have gotten him out, because he was not in the Nursery." Parker replied.

Ethan slowly approached as if in a trance. He stood by Parker with tears in his eyes as he looked upon his fallen brother. "Jarod, why didn't you listen to me?" A sob tore from his throat. "I...I tried to warn you."

"It's not...your fault Ethan." Jarod grimace as he tried to move. "It was my...destiny."

Suddenly, Jarod looked at their faces and became agitated, "Where's Angelo?"

"I don't know." Parker looked around.

"Lyle shot him...end of the hall." Jarod said with difficulty.

"OH MY GOD!" Parker gasped. "ETHAN PLEASE GO CHECK, HURRY."

Ethan took off running towards the end of the hall, while Sydney stayed by her side. Miss Parker squeezed Jarod's hand and said, "Don't worry Jarod, Ethan will find him." Parker gave him a reassuring smile. "You know Angelo, he is always disappearing."

Jarod closed his eyes again as his breathing became more difficult. "Parker...I don't have much...time."

"Jarod please don't do this to me." She caressed his face leaving red streaks where her blood-covered hands had touched. There was so much blood. She desperately tried to clean his face while sobbing uncontrollably.

"Jarod, I can't do this by myself." Parker cried.

"Parker...you're not alone." Jarod said in barely a whisper. "You have our children...and Angelo...Broots...and Sydney.

"Jarod I will always look after Parker and the children, like I did with both of you." Sydney promised, as the tears threatened to fall. "Please don't talk like this. You're going to be fine."

Jarod just looked at Sydney and smiled.

"Jarod, I'm sorry for not being truthful with you." Sydney wiped at the tears he did not care to control any longer. "I have always loved you as a son." His throat tightened and he felt he couldn't breathe. "Jarod, could you please forgive me?"

Jarod's eyes filled with tears as he looked at his mentor. "Sydney...I forgave you...a long time ago." He paused for a moment. "I've always loved you like...a father."

"Thank you my son." Sydney replied quietly as he placed a kiss on Jarod's forehead.

Miss Parker and Sydney smiled tightly with relieve when they saw Ethan and Angelo approaching. "See, I told you, Angelo is alright." Parker exclaimed with joy.

Sydney stood up and walked up to the empath. "Angelo, are you alright?"

Angelo looked at Sydney with deep sadness and simply nodded.

"He only had a flesh wound on his side. Ethan replied. "He'll be fine."

Slowly, Angelo walked over to the Pretender and knelt next to him. Pacing a hand over Jarod's heart, he looked at his friend with sadness and guilt. "Friend hurt bad." Angelo said as he broke down and started to cry.

Jarod looked up to Angelo with tears in his eyes. "It's OK. Angelo."

"No, not OK." The empath cried out. "Angelo fail friend."

"No Angelo...You helped me...YOU SAVED MY SON." Jarod said forcefully.

"Angelo...please take...good care of...Parker and Adam." Jarod said trembling. "You're...my...best friend and...I trust you."

Angelo just nodded as the tears continued to flow uncontrollably.

All of the sudden the alarms died out and a deadly silence fell upon the corridor. The flashing lights ceased to assault them and were replaced with a blinding fluorescent glow. As their eyes adjusted to the brightness, the terror before them became more vivid. At the end of the hall laid Willy's body in a puddle of blood, and a few feet from the Nursery's entrance, Lyle's body sat leaning against a red stained wall, with death in his eyes. It looked like a scene from a splatter film. Ethan and Sydney gasped in horror as they saw all the blood around Jarod's body. Realization hit them like ice water. Jarod was dying and they could do nothing to save him. Life had come full circle. The place that had stolen Jarod's life over thirty years ago had finally claimed it back in the cruelest way, but this time his sacrifice had served a higher purpose. Jarod had saved his family and friends and finally abolished the evil legacy that was The Centre.

"Sydney, please hurry." Parker's desperate cries brought Sydney and Ethan back to reality. Sydney and Ethan rushed to Jarod's side and stood in silence waiting for the unavoidable.

Jarod's breathing had become more irregular, but he had calmed down now. Jarod opened his eyes again and smiled at Parker.

"Parker... promise me...you'll be happy. For me...and for...our children." Jarod pleaded in a weak and shaky voice.

"No Jarod. I can't. You can't leave me now." She chocked on her words. "We need you." Parker cried as she stroked his stubble covered cheeks.

Jarod raised his trembling hand and placed it over Parker's heart. "Parker, I'll always be with you here."

Holding his hand against her chest, Parker leant down and placed a soft kiss on his lips. "I love you Jarod and you'll always be in my heart. No matter where I go."

"I love you...." Jarod whispered her name as a peaceful smile appeared on his lips and he took his last breath.

Parker placed another kiss on Jarod's lips, laid her head over his chest and wept for the death of her love, while the others cried silently next to her, sharing her pain.


Sacred Heart Memorial Park
Dry River, Arizona.

Two weeks later.

Losing Jarod had been a devastating blow for Parker and she felt like she would never recover from this pain. She felt empty and lost. All their plans to share a life together and form a family had been crushed again by The Centre. If it was not for Adam and the child she was expecting, she would have just lost her will to live. Now the Centre was finally gone, but at what price? Would she be able to complete her mother's plan alone and turn that evil into something good without Jarod? She had to. She owed it to him, for his love and final sacrifice.

The first two weeks had been a living nightmare. The authorities arrested Parker, Sydney and the others found on SL-20 until they were cleared of all charges. Fortunately, Jarod had left detailed records of all the people involved in revealing the Centre's atrocities. Furthermore, Jarod had deleted all their names from The Centre's archives, only leaving the records that would transfer the Centre's power to Miss Parker. Luckily, she was the last Parker survivor, since Raines had put a bullet in his brain when he found himself cornered by the authority. The old ghoul had chosen death like the scorpion surrounded by the fire.

After this ordeal, Parker had to be hospitalized for her injuries and for the safety of her unborn child. All these complications prevented her from being present when Jarod was laid to rest. How could she ever forgive herself? She wanted to be there for him, as he always had been there for her, but in this final moment she had failed him. Now she could only pray that he finally had found in death the peace and freedom that was denied to him all his life.

Now it was her turn to say goodbye, and she prayed that she would have the strength to walk the few steps up the small hill where Jarod laid next to his mother and brother.

For a moment, Miss Parker stood and watched the peaceful view. It was a beautiful spring morning without a cloud in the sky. The grass was still moist with dew, but the warm rays of the rising sun made a promise of another bright day. She wanted to come at sunrise because this was Jarod's favorite time of day. He always loved to watch the sunrise and to feel its warmth on his face. He used to say that it made him feel free and it was like the start of a new life.

Adam's happy giggles, while playing with Angelo, brought Parker out of her reverie. She looked at her son and smiled. He was so innocent and happy, and every time she looked at him, she could see Jarod in his eyes. The father he never met but now seemed to communicate through him with every question and gesture. Deep in her heart, she knew that Jarod was still with them and would always be.

Parker looked at Sydney who waited by the car and smiled. Sydney had insisted on coming with her for support and Angelo would not leave Adam's side, always protecting him, as he had promised Jarod.

Slowly Parker started to walk up the hill towards the huge willow tree that gave shade to the three tombstones. Before taking the final steps to his grave, Parker stopped and took a deep breath.

Slowly, Parker walked up to Jarod's grave. The closer she got, the more her body was overwrought with emotions. Unable to stand any longer, she collapsed to her knees and just wept. She cried for him and his children and herself. Why did life have to be so cruel to them? Now that they had finally found happiness, it was ripped away so brutally. Life was so unfair. How could she survive on her own now?

Finally, when she thought she would not have any more tears to shed, she looked up, and stared in a daze at the stone that marked his resting place. It was a beautiful black marble stone with delicate carvings, detailing his name, the period of his life and a short poem. Startled, Miss Parker turned around at the sound of Adam's voice reading the writings on the tombstone,
"Jarod Russell; Date of Birth: June 15th, l959; Date of Death: May 17th, 2004." Adam paused for a moment and said, "Jarod was forty-four." Then he continued, "I would give up everything for one moment with you; for one moment is better than a lifetime of never knowing you."

Adam looked at his mom inquisitively and then gently wiped the tears from her face, "Mommy why are you so sad?"

"I miss him baby. He was my best friend since we were children and I loved him very much. Do you understand?" Parker explained with sadness in her voice.

"Yes Mommy, but he doesn't want to see you cry."

"What?" Parker said startled.

"He says he wants you to be happy." Adam explained very calmly.

"When? How do you know this?" Parker's voice trembled as she asked her son.

"He told me. I can hear his voice." Adam smiled.

"OH MY GOD!" Parker's hand flew to her mouth to stop her cry of shock and the new tears that were brought up by this revelation. She knew that her son was special, but she never imagine that at his age he already could use his inner sense. No wonder the Centre had kept him a secret since his birth. She thanked God that they had found him and rescued him from that hell. She didn't want to think what would of happened if they never had known about his existence. The thought alone made her shiver.

"Mommy, are you alright?" Adam asked concerned.

"Yes baby, I'm fine. I was just thinking how lucky I am to have you." She smiled at her son lovingly. "Your Daddy and I are so proud of you. I only wish you had known him."

Adam just looked at his mom and smiled mischievously.

For an instant, Parker saw that sparkle in his eyes, and she could have sworn that she was looking at Jarod in her son's eyes. That vision gave her new strength. She was not alone. Through her children, Jarod would be with her always, as he had promised just before he died.

Miss Parker reached into her pocket and pulled out an ultra-sound picture of her unborn child. She gathered Adam in her arms and said, "See, this is your new baby brother. He will be here in about six months."

"WOW! Really? I'm going to have a little brother?" Adam said overjoyed.

"Yes baby you are going to be a big brother." Parker smiled at her son as the tears made trails down her face.

Parker looked towards Jarod's grave and wiped the tears from her face. She placed the picture next to the stone and said, "Jarod this is your new son and he will be named after you."

"Mommy, can I give Daddy a gift also?" Adam asked with anticipation.

"Sure baby. I think your Dad would love that."

Adam stood up from his mother's lap and reached into his pocket. He opened his hand and showed Parker the gift he had for his father. "I found it in your bedroom at home." Adam looked at his mom with doubt. "Do you think he will like it?"

When Parker saw the item, she broke into laughter, as the tears ran down her face. It was the Bugs Bunny Pez dispenser that Jarod had left for her during one of his surprise visits. Parker looked at her son and said with a mix of happiness and sadness, "Your father loved those candies. He had a whole collection of them. I think it's a wonderful gift."

Adam placed his gift next to the ultra-sound picture and then hugged his mom. "I love you Mommy." Suddenly, he jumped to his feet and blurted with excitement, "I'm going to tell Uncle Angelo and Grandpa Sydney about my new baby brother." Before Parker was able to reply, he was gone running down the hill. Parker looked at her little boy and smiled. He was just like Jarod.

When Parker looked back at Jarod's grave, a cool breeze caressed her face. She closed her eyes and imagined that it was Jarod's tender touch. As she sat there reminiscing about their short time together, she heard Jarod's deep calming voice,
"Parker I'm sure of one thing. Love transcends death, that the people we Love touch our lives even after they're gone."

Parker opened her eyes and smiled with sadness, "You're right Jarod. You will always touch our lives." Then she kissed her fingertips and delicately traced each letter of Jarod's name as she vowed to him, "Jarod, you'll always be a part of my life and I'm counting on you to guide me and our children. I promise you, that the new Centre will rise and we will make you proud."

Slowly she rose and said, "The next time I'll bring our new son. I love you Jarod." As her last gesture before leaving, Parker placed a white rose on each of the tombstones and walked away.

As she was walking down the hill, Adam came running and held her hand. When Parker smiled down at her son, he was looking behind them and waving at someone. With curiosity, Parker stopped and faced her son. "Who are you waving at baby?"

Adam bit his bottom lip nervously before he met his mother's eyes and smiled, "I was waving at Daddy. He's by that big tree on top of the hill."

Parker gasped as she turned around and looked in the direction her son was pointing, but she could not see Jarod. She knelt in front of her son and asked with a feeling of puzzlement and awe. "Baby, how do you know he was your Daddy? She looked towards the hill again wanting to see so badly, what her son had seen. "Is he still there?"

"No, he's gone now." Adam said with disappointment. "I know it's Daddy, because he looked just like the picture Grandpa Sydney has in his den." Adam explained.

Parker laughed and hugged her son. "You are so lucky baby. Adam, always cherish this gift you have, and the next time you see Daddy or talk to him, tell him that we love him very much and miss him."

"OK Mommy."

Parker hugged her son once more and then started walking down the hill holding his hand. Saying goodbye to Jarod had been the hardest thing she had ever done, but it had also given her a new sense of confidence and emotional strength. She was not alone. She had her children, her family and friends. It was going to be hard at first, but with their love and support, she was going to survive. Most important of all, she knew that Jarod's love would always guide them like a beacon. Their forbidden friendship had helped them survive all those years of pain and darkness at The Centre. Now they were facing another trial, but Parker felt deep in her heart that she would surpass this test because not even death could sever their bond or love.

TBC