Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

A/N: Hey, look! An update! Bet you never thought you'd see the day ::grin:: My apologies for the huge delay between chapters. I don't have an excuse, except for the major writer's block I had with this chapter. Y'all forgive me though, right? I even made it longer than usual to make it up to you.

Cyber hugs to all of you still following the story after all this time. I'll try to be more diligent about updating :o)


Hayley
Thirteen
Melanie-Anne


Silver Spring, Maryland
January 10

"Okay," Debbie said, "you've got to make sure you don't break the yolk when you crack the shell."

"Like this?" Hayley tapped the egg on the edge of the pan then looked at her friend for approval.

"That's perfect." The girls shared a smile before Jason piped up with, "I want to help."

"Nope," Hayley said. "We're making breakfast."

"Why don't you go see if everyone's awake?"

Jason's eyes widened. After Parker's nightmare, things in the house had definitely been strained. Jarod had carried Parker back up to bed and stayed by her side the entire night. Sydney, Anna and Lyle were obviously worried about her, Broots was worried about the kids and Angelo had been quieter than he usually was.

Because of Jason's connection with Parker, he had felt the dream but didn't understand all the feelings that had come with it. He studied Hayley as she chatted to Debbie, wondering if she had shared the dream too. No, he thought, she looked too relaxed.

"I have an idea," Debbie said. "You can be a waiter."

Jason thought about that for a second then nodded. "Okay. What do I have to wait for?"

"No, a waiter is someone who works in a restaurant . . ." Seeing that Hayley and Jason were lost, she scratched in a drawer until she found a notepad and a pencil. "Your job is to go ask everyone how they like their coffee. You think you can manage that?"

Jason didn't really understand what that had to do with waiting, but he nodded anyway and took the notepad. He decided to ask Parker first; he needed to see that she was okay.

Jarod was still sitting next to the bed. He wasn't holding her hand anymore and she had turned away from him. Jason stayed at the door, watching.

"Talk to me, Parker. Please." Jarod sounded concerned.

Jason forgot all about the coffee. Parker was emanating so much pain that it hurt for him to look at her. He wanted to help her, but his talent only extended to healing the physical. With a wisdom beyond his years, he suddenly knew that only Jarod could help her, if she would let him.

He backed quietly out of the room.



Anna stood at the entrance to the living room, her arms crossed as she studied her childhood friend. Bobby (he would always be Bobby to her) looked as if he hadn't slept a wink all night. Anna quietly crossed the room and sat next to him.

"Hey."

He blinked, startled by her appearance. "Anna."

"Are you okay?"

He shook his head. She reached up to cup his cheek, reflecting with sadness that the years had done nothing to diminish the lost, hurt look in his eyes. He pulled her close, wrapping his arms around her and holding her tight.

"Oh, Anna, I wish I'd become the person you wanted me to be."

"Bobby—"

"I'm not him. I . . . I'm not who I used to be. The things I've done, the things I've allowed to happen . . ."

Anna pressed a finger to his lips to silence him. "It doesn't matter."

"If you knew who I really was—"

"I do know you. So you've made mistakes, so what? People screw up all the time. You're here because you're trying to make things right."

He shook his head. "I don't deserve this chance. I—"

"Of course you do."

"You have no idea—"

"Then tell me." Anna pulled away so she could see his face. "Tell me."

"Tell her," Angelo said, crouched at the foot of the couch.

"You may not like me afterwards."

Anna smiled. "Try me."



Parker couldn't bring herself to look at Jarod. She knew she had to tell him about the dream, but she was afraid of his reaction. It wasn't just her child that Willie had killed, it was his too.

A baby. Their baby.

She wrapped her arms around her midriff and curled into a tighter ball. If only her miraculous healing had extended to her soul as well, she thought.

"Parker?"

She squeezed her eyes shut, willing him to go away.

"Parker, please." His hand was on her shoulder, and while she craved closer contact, at the same time she wished he wouldn't touch her.

A traitorous tear escaped, trickling down her face. Jarod tenderly brushed it away, then cupped her cheek. Despite herself, she nuzzled into his hand. Taking it as encouragement to continue, Jarod lay on the bed next to her and pulled her close to him.

"I want to help you, Parker. But I don't know how." His pain was evident in his voice. "Please talk to me."

Trust him, baby girl.

Momma?

Let him love you.


Not knowing what else to do, Parker returned Jarod's embrace.



After breakfast, Lyle found Anna in the living room. He put his hands on her shoulders and studied her for a long moment, his expression wistful. "I'm really sorry about all this."

She smiled. "Everything will be fine."

"Are you sure you're okay to go to DC by yourself?"

"Yes."

"Maybe I should go with you."

Anna shook her head. "Bobby, I'm not completely helpless, you know. I've managed to survive all these years without you having to hold my hand."

"I know." He pulled her into a hug, surprising both of them. "I just don't want anything to happen to you because of me."

Anna returned the hug, then raised her face to Lyle's. Smiling, she pressed a gentle kiss to his lips.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Hayley stood in the doorway, her eyes glued to the floor, her cheeks red. "I, uh, I didn't mean to interrupt."

"I'll call you when I get to D.C." Anna stepped out of Lyle's arms and picked up her bag. "See you later, Hayley."

When she'd left, Hayley glanced at Lyle and smiled at the look on his face. She sat on one of the couches, curling her legs under her. "You like her very much, don't you?"

Lyle sat next to her. "Yes. We were best friends, a long time ago."

"Yeah, but you like her the way Jarod likes Parker." Though Hayley had only known Debbie for a few days, she'd already picked up most of her teen slang.

Lyle wasn't entirely comfortable discussing his feelings with Hayley. He gave a non-committal shrug. "How are you doing? These last couple days must have been strange for you."

"Anything's better than the Centre." Hayley shifted closer to him. "Do you think--? Oh, never mind."

"What's wrong?"

She picked up a cushion and started playing with the seam. Her hair hung forward, hiding her face. "Well, I've been thinking. Debbie's got her dad. And there's you and Parker and Jason. And Sydney acts like he could be Jarod's father. And I was wondering where exactly I fit in."

Lyle brushed her hair behind her ear and tipped her chin up so he could see her clearly. "Hayley, you're part of the family too."

"Yeah, but—" She sighed. "I'm grateful for everything you've done but I want to know who my real parents are. Will you help me find them?"

Her pleading expression struck a chord in Lyle. He took her hand. "Hayley, your mother died just after you were born."

Hayley blinked quickly but she couldn't hide the tears building up. "And my father?"

Lyle said nothing. He didn't know how to tell her. Misinterpreting his silence, Hayley let out a shaky breath.

"He's dead too, isn't he?"

"No, no." Lyle put his arm around her. "I'm right here."

"You're my father?"

"Hayley, you have to believe me, I only found out a couple days ago. If I'd known sooner—"

"I'd hoped it was you." Hayley leaned her head on his shoulder and put an arm around his waist. "I'm glad it's you."

He smiled. "So am I."

"Can I tell Debbie?"

"Of course."

She cuddled closer. "Later. I don't want to let go of you yet."

Lyle felt an unfamiliar warmth in his chest. She was glad to be his daughter. She wanted to tell her friend. She didn't want to let go of him yet. It was almost unbelievable.

He wouldn't change this moment for anything in the world.



Washington, D.C.

Anna walked calmly into the lobby of the United Bank. She joined the end of the queue and patiently waited her turn. When she reached the front, she politely explained what she'd come for and was escorted to the safety deposit boxes. The manager left her alone, telling her to take as long as she needed.

Anna sifted through the contents of the box. There were DSA's, files and photographs of people she didn't recognize. Anna put everything in her bag.

There was a pile of newspaper clippings at the bottom of the box. Anna saw the face of Bobby Bowman staring up at her and quickly skimmed through the articles. She remembered reading them as a teenager, feigning grief while inwardly rejoicing that her friend was free. Only she had known the truth and by the time Jarod came searching for answers, she'd been long gone.

She put the clippings in her bag and slid the box back into the wall, locking it and slipping the key in her pocket. She smiled at the manager on the way out. Nothing had happened; everyone had worried for nothing.

She didn't notice the man who followed her to the car. She'd just unlocked the door when he spoke.

"Hi."

Anna turned around, instantly on guard. "Hello."

The man smiled. "I'm lost. I'm hoping you can give me directions?"

"Where do you want to go?" Something about the man made Anna nervous.

He opened his jacket, revealing a gun. "Wherever your friends are, Anna. I hate to miss a good party."

Anna didn't bother playing dumb. "You're from the Centre."

The man shrugged. "Get in the car."

Anna did as she was told. She threw her bag on the floor behind the driver's seat. The man sat in the passenger seat. "Who are you?"

"I'm a ghost." He handed her a black notebook. "Let's take a quick trip down memory lane."

Anna opened the book to find the very same newspaper articles she'd read in the bank. She turned the pages until she came to a photograph of a young couple.

"It's amazing how camera shy young Bobby was," the man said. "I guess this was a special occasion, it being your junior prom and all."

"Where did you get this?" Anna's mouth was strangely dry.

"Do you know how hard it was to find a link to you? People in your hometown aren't too eager to talk about Bobby. Especially your father." He laughed. "But I'm a persuasive guy."

Anna went cold. "What did you do?"

The man reached across and ran his finger along Anna's jawbone. "You don't have to worry about him hitting you ever again."

Anna leaned forward, hiding her face in her hands. She felt the gun poking into her ribs and didn't care. He'd killed her father.

"Pull yourself together, Anna. We've got things to do."

"I'm not going to give you what you want."

The man sighed. "Okay. Have it your way."

Anna felt a sharp pain at the back of her head, then nothing.