Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: see part one!

Author’s Note: Yeah, there is a third chapter. I just couldn’t keep my hands off of the story. I didn’t think you’d mind either, now do you? But this is the last chapter for real so enjoy it!
I completely forgot to thank my beta… Blade, even though I don’t know if you are reading this… you are great! Thanks for the work you are doing!

~~~~~~~

The Reason
Part 3



Parker nervously fidgeted with the key in ignition, trying to work up the courage to either start the engine or draw the key out of the hole.

Looking out of the window again, she drew a deep breath.

She didn’t really know what she wanted here. No, that wasn’t correct. She knew what she wanted, but after seeing what she had seen, she doubted she would find what she had come for.

The small white house lay quietly on her right hand side. It was one of the fairytale-white-house-with-picket-fence homes.

Till now, she hadn’t seen either the two point five children running around in the beautiful garden or a woman watching them. But the dog was already there.

Again she reached for the key.

This was wrong; her being here was wrong.

Jarod had obviously built a life for himself… a life that didn’t include her.

She wondered what woman would stand in the kitchen to cook for him; if she would be like one of those Jarod had found during one of his pretends… Nia or Zoe.

She breathed deeply and closed her eyes. No, she was all wrong here.

Turning the key, she started the engine. She gave one last look at the house Jarod lived in and was about to drive away when the door opened and Jarod appeared on the porch.

The dog that had been lying in the grass looked up and trotted over to Jarod, who bent down and gently caressed his head. She watched in fascination as a smile spread over his face when the Spaniel put its front legs on Jarod’s shoulders and licked him over the face. She could see him chuckle and pat the dog’s head.

The Spaniel pushed itself away from Jarod and sat down in front of him.

Jarod grinned down at his dog and then turned around. He held the door open and the Spaniel followed him into the house.

The door closed behind them.

Her eyes were still fixed on the spot Jarod had stood only minutes ago. The idling engine lulled her into a reverie.

He looked just as she remembered him. He hadn’t changed one little bit in the two years since she had last seen him, the same lovable grin and the same handsome man.

She was torn between the things she should do.

Forever leave him behind or at least say goodbye?

Taking a deep breath, she reached for the key once more and this time she turned off the engine and yanked the key out of the ignition. Before she could change her mind, she pushed the door open and got out of the car.

The way over the street, through the entrance gate, through the garden to the porch and up the steps took her a huge number of hesitant steps and more than once was she about to turn around and walk back to the car. Finally, she stood in front of the door.

Her hand rose to knock. She listened for a second and when she could hear his delighted laughter the confidence fled her. She let her hand sink and her head dropped as well. She turned around and walked to the edge of the porch.

Before she was down the steps, the dog barked loudly from within the house. She still debated with herself if she should flee or turn around but then the question answered itself when the door creaked open.

A dog ran over to her barking wildly and she froze.

“Hey Sammy, back off,” his voice sounded behind her. The Spaniel gave one last short bark but then he returned to his master’s side.

“Sorry. He just doesn’t like strangers,” Jarod explained.

“Contrary to his master. He has more problems with people from his past,” Parker smiled. She still had her back turned to him but now she slowly turned around to face him.

“Not with every person from my past,” he said, smiling boyishly. He still stood on the porch, the dog sitting directly next to his leg. Jarod took one hesitant step towards her but Parker kept her ground. He slowly descended the stairs and stepped up to her. A smile lingered on his face when he stretched out his hand and raised it to her face. He cradled her cheek in it, his thumb gently stroking it.

Parker sighed and leaned into his touch.

“You sure took your time to come here. I’ve missed you,” he whispered and then leaned down to drop a kiss on her other cheek.

She turned her head away. “What if someone sees us?”

He chuckled softly. “Well, the old woman from 3178 on the opposite side of the street will certainly see us because she has nothing better to do than watching the people around here all day. She will quickly pass the word around, so in a matter of hours the whole part of town up to the river will know about this and maybe, if I’m lucky, those stories will fend off some of the single women around here. Maybe they will stop pursuing me then,” he grinned at her.

“What, no wife to scare these women off?” Parker asked with a quirked eyebrow.

“No,” he shook his head and then his grin widened. “Was that why you were leaving? Because you thought there was a wife waiting to scare you off as well?”

She couldn’t stop the slight blush that crept up her cheeks.

Jarod tilted his head to the side, smiling from ear to ear. “There is no woman waiting in there and there will be no one to scare you off either,” he leaned in closer and whispered, “I won’t let anyone scare you off.”

His breath tickled her ear and goose bumps spread down her back.

Jarod drew back and straightened. “Come on in, Melina.” He turned around and walked back up the steps, holding the door open for her to join him.

She hesitated only briefly and then she walked up to him, past him, into his house and back into his life.


The End!

Happy enough for you? I sure hope so! Hope you enjoyed the read!
Oh and… no, there won’t be a sequel. The rest is for you to think up!