Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Kaleidoscope
Epilogue
by Jennifer DeNaughel




Seven Months Later...
“There’s my boy,” Jarod called out as he dropped to his knees in the middle of the corridor and opened his arms wide.

Emily sat her squirming nephew down on the floor and let him go. Then she wrapped her arms around Broots and kissed him.

Andrew ran, as fast as his little legs could carry him, right into his father’s waiting arms. “Da-dee,” he squealed.

“I have missed you so much,” Jarod laughed as he hugged his son tightly. “And so has your Mama.”

“Mama…see Mama,” Andrew grinned.

“Your wish is my command,” Jarod said and swept Andrew up into his arms. “Let’s go see if she is behaving herself.”

“Come on, Boots n Emmy,” Andrew called back over Jarod’s shoulder.

“Yeah, come on Boots n Emmy,” Jarod mimicked with a chuckle.

“You two go ahead,” Broots grinned. “We will be right there.”

Jarod shrugged his shoulders. “All right,” he said then all but skipped down the hallway to Miss Parker’s room with Andrew giggling wildly.

“Hey Maddie, you have a visitor,” Jarod said as he slowly pushed open the door.

“Andrew, my sweet boy,” she said her face glowing with pure joy. “Come here and see your new sisters.”

Jarod sat him down gently in her lap.

“My stisters?” Andrew asked. He reached out and carefully touched their tiny hands then giggled softly. “My stisters.”

“That’s right, Andy,” Jarod grinned. “You are a big brother now.”

Andrew looked up at his father and nodded, “I be good brother.”

“You will be a great big brother,” Miss Parker said.

“Now, if your mom will just decide on their names,” Jarod winked as he gently took his twin daughters into his arms.

Miss Parker then gathered Andrew to her, mussed his dark hair and kissed his chubby cheek. “For your information, I decided while we were sitting here waiting for you guys.”

“Well then, what are we naming our beautiful babies?”

She smiled as Jarod sat down on the bed. Reaching over she gently pulled the blankets back from their faces. “Faith…Hope, meet your daddy and your big brother Andrew.”

Jarod kissed the tops of their tiny heads and laughed softly. “It is so nice to finally meet the two of you.” Then he leaned forward and kissed his beautiful wife. “They are perfect and you picked the perfect names,” he said.

Miss Parker felt her heart swell as she watched Jarod with their children. She finally had everything she had ever dared to dream of. She was Jarod’s wife and the mother of three beautiful babies. Throw in her father, brother and Jarod’s family, and she was surrounded by more love than she had ever thought possible and happier than she had ever been in her life.

“Knock, knock,” Broots grinned as he walked in the door with Emily on his arm. “I hope we aren’t intruding.”

“Never,” Miss Parker said as she hugged him and her sister-in-law.

“You look happy,” Broots said.

“I am happy,” Miss Parker replied with a slight nod.

Emily glanced at Broots and he nodded in response. “We have news,” she said then turned to face the new parents. “We are going to have a baby too.”

“That is wonderful,” Miss Parker squealed and hugged her again.

“I’m going to be an uncle,” Jarod grinned widely as he leaned over to kiss his sister’s cheek. “That is so great, Sis.”

“Mom and Dad don’t know yet. We want to surprise them at Mom’s birthday party,” Emily said.

“Our lips are sealed,” Miss Parker said then smiled at Andrew. “Right Andy?”

Andrew nodded wildly, “Right, Mama.”

Gathering him into her arms, Miss Parker hugged and tickled him. “You are such a good boy,” she said as she planted kisses all over his face.

“Mama, stop,” Andrew giggled.

“What’s going on in here?” Dr. Kendrick asked as he entered the room. “Aren’t you supposed to be resting?” he directed his second question to Miss Parker directly.

“Sorry, Dr. Kendrick,” she answered. “I was just…”

Dr. Kendrick chuckled, “Since you seem to be doing so well, how about I let you and your baby girls go home?”

“Right now?” she asked excitedly.

“Right now,” he nodded.

“Oh thank you,” Miss Parker said as she hugged him.

“You’re welcome,” he said. “As soon as we finish the paper work and fill out the birth certificates, you can be on your way. So what are the names of these two little angels?”

**********

Josh was sitting on the porch steps dribbling his basketball to pass the time. He could not wait to meet his new nieces. He glanced up when he heard a car approaching. “There they are,” he exclaimed. Tossing the basketball into the flower bed, he jumped up and ran toward the white van.

Major Charles and Margaret came out of the house as Sydney rose from the porch swing where he had been reading a book. The anxious grandparents exchanged smiles as they walked down the steps. The new parents came toward them each with a baby in their arms.

The instant Jarod placed Hope in her grandmother’s arms, tears of joy filled Margaret’s eyes. When Miss Parker stepped forward with Faith and kissed Margaret on the cheek, she hugged her beautiful daughter-in-law. “I love you…all of you so very much.”

“We love you too,” Miss Parker smiled.

Jarod wrapped his arm around his mother. Seeing her so happy and full of life…it was hard to believe that less than a year earlier, she had been so close to death. He could not even imagine not having her there to share in their happiness.

Sydney moved to stand next to Miss Parker and placed his arm around her shoulders. “Madeline, they are so beautiful,” he beamed with pride. “Just like their mother.”

“I wish she were here right now,” she whispered.

Knowing she was speaking of Catherine, Sydney gave a slight nod. “She is here, Madeline.”

Miss Parker smiled and gently kissed the top of her baby daughter’s head. “I hope so, Dad. I truly hope so.”

“Let’s all go inside,” Major Charles said from where he stood with his hands on Josh’s shoulders. “We have a lot to celebrate.”

Emily and Broots exchanged knowing smiles. Unable to wait any longer, Emily chimed in, “Daddy, Mom, we have something else to celebrate.”

Broots grinned, “You are going to have another grandchild.”

“That is wonderful,” Major Charles laughed and hugged his daughter.

“This family is truly blessed,” Margaret smiled as she too embraced Emily. “After so many years of pain and loss, we have so many miracles to be thankful for.”

Jarod moved to take Miss Parker in his arms. Looking into her blue eyes, he nodded slightly. “You, Madeline, are my miracle,” he whispered then kissed her tenderly.

**********

Two Weeks Later...

Jarod stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around his waist. Grabbing a second, he wiped his face and dried his hair, then used it to clear the mirror of steam so he could shave.

When he was finished, he stared at his reflection and for the first time in his life, he did not see a shattered image. He saw a man with an identity…a past, present and future. He was no longer a stranger to himself.

Opening the bathroom door, he smiled as he saw his beautiful Madeline sleeping soundly in their bed. The house was silent…the kids were in their own beds dreaming only happy dreams.

Shutting off the bathroom light, Jarod moved toward the bed and turned on the lamp. He let his towel drop to the floor then slid into bed gathering her against him.

“Mmmm,” she said and opened her eyes.

“Hi,” Jarod said.

“Hi,” she responded sleepily.

“Do you feel like making up for lost time?” he asked.

Miss Parker wrapped her arms around his neck and smiled. “We have a whole lot of lost time to make up for.”

“Then I guess we should stop talking,” Jarod said with a mischievous grin as he lowered his mouth to hers.

THE END