Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used
without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.




Kaleidoscope
part 2
by Jennifer DeNaughel





Outside the partially open door of her hospital room, Jarod watched as Miss Parker jabbed at the food on her plate with a fork, a look of pure disgust on her face. He smiled, but the hint of amusement in his dark eyes vanished almost as quickly as it appeared.

Turning away he crossed to the other side of the corridor and sat down on a padded bench. Leaning back against the wall he pressed the heels of his hands against closed eyelids. It had been days…since he had slept and by the looks of things, he would not be getting any rest in the near future.

Broots had confirmed that Andrew was his and Miss Parker’s son. To be certain, he’d had the FBI lab technician run the tests three times. Each time the results came back conclusive.

Feeling a hand on his shoulder, he quickly looked up. “Syd.”

Sydney smiled, “Broots called. He said you might need me.”

Jarod stood up and threw his arms around Sydney. “Thank God you’re here,” he said softly. “Syd, what am I going to do? I have to tell her about Andrew. I don’t know how she is going to take the news.”

Sydney held him for several minutes before he finally released him and took a step back. “You know as well as I do that Miss Parker is a strong woman. She will be devastated…there is no doubt. But she will be all right.”

Jarod nodded slowly and turned away from Sydney. “Maybe it’s me. I just learned that I have a son and more than anything I want to hold him in my arms and tell him who I am. At the same time, I am terrified of the idea of being a father. I have nothing to offer Andrew…a life on the run…that is no life at all.”

“Jarod, you told me once that it takes more than blood to create a bond between people…that it takes love. You and Miss Parker have a unique and powerful bond that has somehow withstood an endless barrage of loss and deception in your lives. Andrew is your son…no matter how he came to be. He is a part of the two of you and that is a bond that can never be broken.”

“How can I love him so completely when we’ve never met?” Jarod asked.

“When I first learned about Nicholas, I was both devastated and ecstatic at the same time. I did not know whether to cry or to shout at the top of my lungs that I was a father. Only God knows the secrets of the heart, Jarod. To us mere mortals, they will forever remain an enigma…never meant to be solved.”

Jarod let his gaze drift down to the nondescript floor tiles beneath his feet. “Sydney,” he said softly then looked up into his mentor’s sad eyes. “You have always been there for me…protected me…and I repaid you by laying all the blame for what the Centre did on your shoulders. I understand now, why you could not allow yourself to feel anything for me emotionally…why you could not love me the way a father loves a son.”

Sydney embraced Jarod and with tears in his eyes, he smiled. “Jarod, in my heart you are no less my son than Nicholas is. It took every ounce of strength I had to hide my true feelings from the Centre all these years,” he said. “You did not know it, but you stole my heart that first day in the sim lab. Jarod, I regret so many things in my life, but I will never regret loving you,” he said then turning he walked slowly away.

Jarod’s voice caught in his throat as he watched the older man disappear into the elevator. “I love you too, Sydney,” he said hoarsely.

**********

Miss Parker frowned as she worked intently in her plate. Swirling cold mashed potatoes and gravy into the peas and carrots until she had created an artistic masterpiece.

“You know, it isn’t polite to play with your food.”

“Good manners do not apply with this bland slop. I wouldn’t feed this stuff to Broots,” she said as she turned toward the voice. Jarod stood just inside the open doorway clad in blue jeans and a black T-shirt with his leather coat slung over his shoulder. The sight of him made her heart skip a beat.

“Well, that ‘bland slop’ is what will get you out of that bed and back on your feet. That is unless you like it here,” he grinned as he approached the bed.

“And just where in the medical journals does it say that green Jell-O is a necessary part of a well-balanced diet.”

“Jell-O,” Jarod’s eyes lit up like a kid on Christmas morning. “Jell-O is delicious.”

“Help yourself,” she grimaced as she handed him the small bowl from her tray.

“Yum,” he said as he downed the entire bowl of green stuff in just a few spoonfuls.

Miss Parker shook her head in disbelief. “What am I going to do with you?”

“I can think of a few things,” he winked as he set the empty bowl back on her tray.

“Like what,” she taunted with a knowing smile.

“This, for starters,” he said as he lowered his mouth to hers capturing it in a deep and lingering kiss. His hands slid around to the back of her head his fingers becoming entangled in the silky strands of her hair.

Giving in to the exquisite torture of his touch, Miss Parker wrapped her good arm around his neck, pulling him closer. Her heart was thundering like a herd of wild horses while her mind was spinning out of control.

Jarod finally broke the kiss and drew back slightly. He looked into the endless depths of her blue eyes and suddenly realized that the past and all the pain and torment in their lives paled when compared to what he was feeling at that moment. “I love you,” he said softly then kissed her again…a light feathery kiss.

Miss Parker’s eyes filled with tears as she struggled to find the words to tell him what she was feeling but could not. “Jarod…”

Jarod smiled in understanding. “You don’t have to say anything.”

Nodding slowly, Miss Parker met his gaze.

Jarod turned and walked toward the window. “There’s something I need to tell you, Parker,” he said. “Something that is going to drastically change both our lives.”

The seriousness of his tone immediately set of alarm bells in her head. “What is it?”

“First I need you to promise to stay calm.”

“Jarod, just tell me,” she said, bracing herself for the worst.

Jarod took a deep breath releasing it slowly. “It’s about Andrew.”

“My baby brother?” Miss Parker asked.

Jarod turned to face her, his gaze resting intently on her face. “Andrew is…he is not your brother…he is your son. He is our son.”

“Oh my God,” she gasped, her voice suddenly small and timid. “How—How…Jarod, I was there. I—I helped Brigitte in the delivery. How could Andrew be our son?”

Wrapping her protectively in his embrace, Jarod held her while she cried. “I don’t know how they did it, but it is true. The DNA test results were conclusive…Andrew is our son. Brigitte was only a surrogate.”

Miss Parker laughed humorlessly through her tears. “Of course…that explains why my father referred to Andrew as the ‘final piece’ that would get him back in power at the Centre. The son of their prize pretender…”

“The son of two Red Files.”

“That is all we are to them, isn’t it…pawns in their sick little game of Chess. They play God with our lives…taking away our humanity little by little.”

“All that matters now is that we get him out of the Centre as soon as possible.”

As her sobs subsided, Miss Parker felt the initial shock begin to diminish. Loosening her hold on Jarod, she lay back against the pillows and studied his face silently. “I cannot believe that I didn’t see it before,” she smiled slightly. “Andrew…he has your eyes.”

**********

Broots walked into his FBI office with a look of determination on his face. Pulling a file from the cabinet just inside the door he walked over and dropped it on his desk. Removing his jacket and gun he sat down, cracked his knuckles then opened the file.

Nick, who had been watching the whole scene from where he stood in the open doorway, chuckled softly to himself. “You look like a man on a mission,” he said.

Looking up from the file, Broots glared at his friend and partner. “I am in no mood for your wisecracks, Nick. I have had one hell of a day.”

“Sorry, Chris. What’s going on?”

Broots released an exasperated sigh and leaned back in his chair. “As if it wasn’t bad enough that they cloned him…now we find out that the Centre created a child.”

“What are you saying?”

“I’m saying that Jarod and Miss Parker have a son.”

“Damn,” Nick moved to sit down in the chair across from Broots.

“We can’t wait any longer,” Broots said as he leaned forward again. “It’s time for the powers that be to pay for what they have done to the people I care about.”

“Chris, be careful that you don’t turn this into a personal vendetta against the Centre. By letting your emotions cloud your objectivity, you could jeopardize the entire operation as well as the lives of everyone involved.”

Nodding slowly, Broots stood and walked toward the window, keeping his back toward his friend. “This became personal a long time ago.”

“Chris…” Nick began.

“Nick, there is something you need to know…”

**********

The shrill ringing of his cell phone jolted Jarod out of the first decent sleep he’d had in weeks. Turning over on the narrow cot the nurses had set up for him the night before, he reached for his jacket. Retrieving the phone from the pocket, he pressed the button and raised it to his ear.

“What?”

“Sounds like you have been taking lessons on telephone etiquette from Miss Parker,” Broots laughed.

“Sorry,” Jarod said groggily. “Good morning, Broots.”

“Just calling to see how Miss Parker is doing.”

“Dr. Kendrick will be in to check on her shortly,” Jarod said glancing at his watch. “There is a good possibility that he will release her today depending on yesterday’s test results and how she feels.”

“How did she take the news about Andrew?”

“Better than I thought she would. It’s almost as if, on some level, she knew.”

“They say that a bond between a mother and child is unshakable,” Broots said.

Jarod smiled, “It’s true.”

“Do you feel a connection to your mother?”

“I feel her in my heart.”

“Jarod, I promise you that I will help you find your family as soon as the Centre is no longer a threat.”

“I am afraid that it would take nothing short of a miracle to find them.”

“It may be easier than you think,” Broots replied cryptically.

Jarod wondered, for a fleeting moment, if Broots knew more than he was letting on about the whereabouts of his family. Deciding that he was being paranoid, he pushed the thought aside.

“Keep me posted, Broots. I will call when we find out if she can go home.”

“All right,” Broots said.

“Thanks again for everything,” Jarod said then ended the connection.

**********

Broots arrived at the Centre at his usual time and headed for his office. His first objective was to hack into the mainframe and download the security information that was vital to the operation. Jarod would not have much time to get Andrew and escape undetected, so he would need to map out the quickest route in and out. Andrew’s nursery was on SL-17 and was heavily secured.

Reaching the door to his office, he looked up and saw Sydney coming toward him. “Good Morning, Syd. You’re here early.”

“Just checking on a special patient,” Sydney winked and followed Broots into the office.

Broots smiled, “You were able to get in to see him?”

“Nurse Henderson is an old friend. Truthfully, I think she has a bit of a crush on me.”

“What if Mr. Parker finds out?”

“Mr. Parker authorized the visit under the recommendation of Nurse Henderson. She told him that Andrew has been having terrible nightmares and that she thought that maybe I could figure out what was causing them.”

Broots chuckled softly, “You took a big chance, Syd.”

“I just wanted to be able to tell Jarod and Miss Parker that their son is safe and cared for. That they needn’t worry about his well-being.”

“They will appreciate that, Sydney.”

“It is the least I could do. I still cannot believe that Mr. Parker could do such a thing to his own flesh and blood. He has done some reprehensible things in the past, but to create a child from his daughter without her knowledge is despicable,” Sydney whispered harshly.

Nodding in agreement, Broots sat down in front of his computer and turned it on. “It won’t be much longer, Syd. If everything goes according to plan, Andrew will be in his mother and father’s loving arms very soon.”

“I will do anything to make that happen, Broots…anything.”

“So will I. I promise you.” As his emails downloaded, Broots smiled when he saw several from Delilah. “Soon, my love…soon,” he whispered.

“Did you say something, Broots?” Sydney asked.

“No, Syd. Just checking my emails,” he replied with a secretive smile.

Sydney chuckled, “Must be from someone very special.”

“Oh she is…very special,” Broots said.

“How long have you known her? What’s she like?”

“I met her a few years ago. She is beautiful, Syd.”

“You love her, don’t you?”

“Yeah, I do. Unfortunately we can’t be together…not yet.”

“Because of the Centre,” Sydney said as he sat down on the edge of Broots’ desk. “Want to talk about it?”

“I can’t,” Broots said with an appreciative smile.

“Well, if you change your mind you know where to find me,” Sydney smiled then stood and walked toward the door.

“Thanks, Syd.” Broots turned his attention back to his emails. Opening the first one, he began to read.

**********

“Well, Jarod,” Dr. Kendrick said as he came out of Miss Parker’s room. “You can take her home now. Just make sure she gets plenty of bed rest and no undue stress for at least a week,” the doctor smiled.

“Thank you, Dr. Kendrick,” Jarod said as he rose from the bench and reached out to shake the doctor’s hand.

“You are very welcome. Now you better get in there, she’s champing at the bit.”

Laughing, Jarod nodded, “I’ll bet she is.”

“Take care of her,” Dr. Kendrick said then turned and walked away.

“I will,” Jarod said watching until he stepped into the elevator with a parting wave.

Miss Parker was sitting on the edge of the bed struggling to put on her blouse since her left arm had lost some of its range of motion.

“Here, let me help,” Jarod said reaching out to take the cotton blouse from her. He gently slipped her left arm into the sleeve then brought it around her shoulders and she put her right arm through.

“Thank you,” she whispered, her voice betraying her feelings of helplessness and embarrassment.

Jarod leaned closer and fastened the buttons of the blouse. “Parker, it is okay to ask for help,” he smiled. “You are no longer alone…I’m here.”

Miss Parker flashed him a heated glare, which was quickly extinguished when she looked into his soft brown eyes. Unable to find her voice, she leaned into him and pressed her lips to his.

Jarod swept her up into his arms and lowered her into the wheelchair that Dr. Kendrick had left for her. “Let’s get you home,” he said as he took a step back.

“I’m ready,” she smiled.

“Everything is going to be okay,” Jarod said reassuringly. Then taking hold of the handles on the back of the wheelchair, he steered her toward the open door.

“I know,” Miss Parker said with as much conviction as she could muster. “I just want to hold Andrew in my arms again.”

“Andrew is safe and well-cared for, Parker,” Jarod said as he turned into the elevator. “Sydney called me awhile ago and said that he had seen him and that our son is in good hands. The nurse caring for him is a friend of his and she will keep him posted on any developments. As much as I would love to just go in with guns blazing and take him, I know that we cannot do so without risk to him and other innocent lives.”

“I know,” she said.

“We just have to be patient. Andrew will be in your arms, where he belongs, very soon.”

“I hope you are right, Jarod,” she said with tears glistening in her blue eyes. “I hope you are right.”

**********

The room was silent and the only illumination came from the narrow shaft of light shining through the small window in the door. The crib stood just to the right of the door, its tiny occupant sound asleep.

Angelo moved toward the crib and looked down at the baby. He smiled and cocked his head to one side as he listened to the gentle rise and fall of Andrew’s breathing.

The sound of movement woke Andrew. He opened his eyes and upon seeing Angelo, gurgled happily raising his tiny arms in a bid to be held.

“You are special…very special,” Angelo said as he reached down and lifted him from the crib cradling him against his chest. “Angelo will watch over you always,” he said gently rocking back and forth, humming softly until Andrew again drifted off to sleep.

“Do not worry,” Angelo whispered. “Mother and father coming for you soon.”

Placing Andrew back in his bed, he smiled as he arranged the blanket around his tiny form. “Sleep well, little one,” he said. Then he quickly climbed up into the ventilation shaft. Silently he replaced the grate over the opening, and a moment later the red light on the surveillance camera came on signaling that it was recording again.

**********

Sleep would not come so she lay there in her bed staring up at the ceiling. All she could do was think about him…even though she knew that Andrew was safe, the knowledge did not ease her fears. Sitting up in bed, she noticed the light under her bedroom door.

Clenching her teeth, she slid her legs over the side of the bed and placed her feet on the floor. As she rose to her feet and straightened, she fought the urge to cry out as the pain shot from her feet up through her legs.

Amazingly she managed to reach the door and turned the knob without passing out or throwing up. As she had suspected, Jarod was sitting at the dining room table, typing on his laptop with one hand while the other raised a cup of coffee to his lips. “Do you ever sleep?” she asked grimacing, as the pain seemed to spread through her entire body.

He turned at the sound of her voice. “You are supposed to be resting,” he said his brown creased and his eyelids half-closed.

“Jarod, I think you are the one that needs to rest,” she said, settling on the sofa. “It is one a.m., and you have been working non-stop for days. You look like hell,” she said, her eyebrows raised.

Switching off the laptop, he downed the last of his coffee and stretched. Rubbing his tired eyes, he smiled wearily. “I guess you’re right, I do need to get some rest.” Rising from his chair, he approached the sofa. “What do you say we both go to bed and get some sleep?” He grinned as he scooped her up into his arms.

“Jarod,” she laughed. “What are you doing?”

“Taking you back to bed.”

“Are you going to join me?”

Jarod gave her a reserved smile. “I’d like to hold you all night if you’ll let me.”

“I want you to hold me for the rest of our lives,” Miss Parker said surprising herself as much as Jarod.

In her bedroom, he gently lowered her down on the bed, then laid down beside her. Their eyes locked as he caressed her cheek and kissed her lightly. Gathering her against him, Jarod pressed his lips to her forehead. “There is nothing in this world I want more than to spend the rest of my life holding you in my arms. Soon we will have our son and the life we have always dreamed of. I promise you.”

“Jarod, you and I both know that there is always going to be something or someone keeping us from that dream. As much as I want to believe in happily ever after, I can’t…”

Nodding in understanding, Jarod drew back slightly and looked into her eyes. “I will find a way, Parker. I will find a way,” he smiled tenderly and kissed her. Then he reached over and shut off the lamp. “Rest now, we’ll talk more in the morning,” he said adjusting the blankets over them and wrapping her protectively in his embrace. “Sweet dreams,” he whispered next to her ear.

Snuggling closer to him, Miss Parker breathed in his scent and reveled in his warmth. It felt surreal to be so close to him. Never in her life had she ever felt so protected…so cherished. Yet, deep inside, she still felt that at any moment her world was going to come crashing in on her all over again. That fate was going to shuffle the deck leaving her alone and lost again.

Closing her eyes, she listened to the beating of Jarod’s heart, focusing on it until finally she drifted off to sleep. In her dreams she saw Andrew’s smiling face, his dark eyes…so much like his father. He was running and giggling as Jarod chased him through a field of grass nearly as tall as he was. Across the meadow, she saw the beautiful image of her mother. She smiled as she watched her grandson. Then she turned to meet the gaze of her daughter and her smile slowly faded.

“Mama, what’s wrong?”

“My darling, you know,” Catherine said pausing to watch Andrew and Jarod for a moment before turning back to her daughter again. “It is time to face your inner demons, Madeline. If you do not, they will destroy you.”

“Help me, Mama. I don’t know how to stop them.”

“I cannot. You need to look inside yourself to find the key,” Catherine said as her image began to fade. “I love you, Madeline,” she uttered then vanished.

Miss Parker opened her eyes and felt the sting of tears as she replayed the dream in her head. “Oh, Mama, what am I going to do?” she whispered.

**********

“You had better have some good news, Lyle,” Mr. Parker’s voice boomed as he looked up at his son. “Did you find out who the Centre leak is? When I get my hands on whoever…”

“You can relax, Dad.” Lyle lowered himself into the chair across the desk from his father and smirked. “Willard is dead. Jarod killed him.”

“Yes, but the question is, what did Willard tell Jarod before he died.”

“Nothing, apparently. If Willard had told him about Andrew, Jarod would have stormed the gates and fought to the death to get his son out of here.”

“I’m sure you are right. Not only would Jarod have come but your sister as well. I shudder to think what she would do if she were to learn the truth about Andrew’s true parentage.”

Lyle got up from the chair and walked toward the door. “I know I wouldn’t want to be within firing range if she ever did. And I sure as hell wouldn’t want to be you,” he grinned and passed through the doors without looking back.

Mr. Parker nodded thoughtfully. “Then let’s hope she never does,” he whispered.

**********

Having given up on sleep hours earlier, Miss Parker slipped quietly out of bed curling up on the window seat with her mother’s favorite quilt wrapped around her to keep out the chill. As she sat listening to the steady rise and fall of Jarod’s breathing, tears welled up in her eyes. She suddenly realized that the anxiety she had been feeling came not from some outside force, but from deep within her own psyche.

Looking back on the past she hated what she saw…regrets…too many regrets. The things she had done to please her father and to prove her loyalty to the Centre now made her sick just to think about them.

Jarod opened his eyes and raised his head up from the pillow. He smiled as he sat up and studied her silhouette against the light of the approaching dawn. “Are you okay?” he whispered, his voice husky with sleep.

She shook her head slowly, not trusting her own voice. Tightening her grip on the quilt she leaned back against the wall and focused her gaze on the horizon.

Jarod rose from the bed and settled himself on the window seat sitting cross-legged in front of her. “Parker, please don’t push me away. I will not let you shut me out of your heart again. Not this time.”

Miss Parker turned to look at him, her eyes filled with a mixture of longing and fear. Torn between wanting to feel his arms around her and the memories of the past, she remained silent. She did not deserve what he was offering her. She did not deserve to be a mother to Andrew. There would never be a happily ever after for her because eventually, everything good in her life is taken away by the cruel hands of fate.

As if reading her thoughts, Jarod straightened his right leg, placing his foot on the floor as he slid closer to her. Shaking his head slowly, he frowned. “No, Parker. Let it go. What happened in the past…it has to remain in the past. Otherwise you will never be able to have the happiness you deserve.”

“That’s just it, Jarod. I do not deserve to be happy. How can you, of all people, just forgive me for the way I treated you? Miss Parker turned to stare out the window again before continuing. “Jarod, I love you…have always loved you. I just don’t know if I can give you what you need. I don’t want to hurt you anymore.”

Jarod listened intently without saying a word until she finished. Then slowly he raised his right hand to cup her chin, gently turning her head back toward him. When she was facing him again, he held her gaze with his own and smiled gently. “You are what I need…I love you.”

Miss Parker saw the truth in his eyes. “Jarod, there are so many things that I want to tell you…things I should have said a long time ago.”

“Parker…”

“No,” she cut him off as she got up from the window seat. Keeping her back to him, she struggled to find the words she so desperately needed to say. “The things I have done…I can’t take back no matter how much I want to. My God, Jarod, I never even told you how sorry I was about Kyle…losing him so soon and so violently just when you had found each other again. I should have understood the pain you were feeling…instead I only saw the chance to take you back to the Centre.”

Turning to face him, Miss Parker continued. “How can I face our son? What will he think of me when he learns what kind of person his mother is?”

Jarod smiled as he rose and approached her, taking her in his arms. “Our son will be proud of his mother,” he said softly. “Because she is a strong, beautiful woman who has, despite the losses she has suffered in her life, learned to love again.”

Relaxing against the strength of his broad chest as his arms encircled her, Miss Parker gave in to the will of her heart and in that moment all her demons fled. A comforting warmth filled her soul.

As Jarod held her, he felt the sadness and the pain flowing out of her, leaving behind the joy and compassion he had always known was there. Pulling back slightly, he smiled. “Everything is going to be all right, Parker. I promise you,” he said as he lowered his mouth to hers.

**********

One week later...

Miss Parker walked out of the Tower elevator and headed directly for her father’s office. Hastily, she walked, her heels tapping out a cadence on the marble tiles. Forcing down a feeling of nausea, she went over what she was supposed to say to him. Everything depended upon this performance, her father had to believe that everything was business as usual or Jarod’s plan would fail.

She was barely able to contain a malicious grin when just a few feet from her destination, Lyle exited their father’s office and came toward her. The instant he looked up and saw her he paled, his eyes frantically searching for an escape route. “Parker,” he said pasting his usual counterfeit smile on his GQ-face. “You’re back so soon?”

“Disappointed, brother dear?”

“No, not at all. I am relieved that you are alive and well. That Willard must have been some kind of psycho case,” he said as he attempted to sidestep and pass by her.

“You would know, wouldn’t you. I mean since the two of you were so…chummy,” she smiled as she stepped into his path cutting off his attempt to escape.

“I don’t have any idea what you are talking about, Parker. I never even met the guy.”

“Really? Cause that is not what he told me. Shall we go in and tell Daddy what a bad boy you have been? Hmmm?”

“Parker, you are overwrought. You need to go back home and get some rest. These delusions of yours are going to cause you nothing but trouble,” Lyle said then made an abrupt turn, getting around her before she could stop him.

Miss Parker watched him go. “You are mine now, baby brother,” she whispered. Just before the elevator doors closed, she caught a glimpse of fear in his eyes.

Reaching the doors of her father’s office, she pushed through them with a reserved smile on her face. “Daddy, I’m back.”

Mr. Parker rose from his chair and studied his daughter closely. “I certainly hope you are here to tell me you brought Jarod in.”

Anger boiled up inside her until she was about to explode. Struggling to keep her expression unreadable, she focused on the memory of Andrew’s smiling face and was soon able to dowse the flames. “I am sorry, Daddy. I failed you yet again. Willard shot me, Jarod got me to the hospital then vanished.”

“I suppose I am indebted to him for saving you from that lunatic,” Mr. Parker said flatly.

“Next time I see him, I will be sure to thank him for you. I’m sure he would have rather left me to the wolves…then again…maybe he knew just how devastated you would be to lose your only daughter,” she said in a tone that reeked of disdain. She knew she was playing close to the edge but she could not stop herself.

As was the usual, Mr. Parker suddenly smiled and came around the desk toward her. Taking her hand he helped her up and embraced her. “Angel, I am sorry for my coldness. It is just the idea that one of our own betrayed us by spilling classified information to Willard. I want to know who the leak is and I want them dealt with without prejudice.”

“Of course, Daddy,” Miss Parker smiled sweetly. “Would you like me to handle the situation personally?”

“Yes, Angel. I would.”

“It would be my pleasure.”

“When you find the leak, I don’t care who it is. I want their head on a silver platter.”

“As you wish, Daddy,” she said then turned to leave.

“Angel,” he said causing her to pause.

“Yes, Daddy.”

“I do love you.”

“I love you too, Daddy,” she replied, forcing the words out through clenched teeth.

Walking out into the corridor, she closed her eyes, leaning against the wall to steady herself as she struggled to get her heart rate under control.

Taking a series of slow, deep breaths, she fought the urge to go back in there and put a bullet between her father’s eyes. It made her sick to think of all the times he had blatantly lied to her. ‘Trust me.’ He must have uttered those words to her a million times and every time she had taken the bait…swallowing it hook, line and sinker.

“Not this time, Daddy,” she whispered. “Not this time.”

It did not surprise her to find Lyle waiting in her office when she entered. He rose from the chair, an anxious look on his face.

“Relax your prostate, Lyle. I didn’t tell him…yet,” she cast him a vicious smile.

“What’s there to tell?”

“Save it, dear brother. I am in no mood for your lies…God knows I get enough of that from Daddy.”

Lyle smirked, “What’s the matter, Sis? Finally seeing the old man for what he is?”

Miss Parker turned and glared at him. “Like father…like son.”

“Touché,” Lyle grinned. “For what it’s worth, I am sorry about the whole Willard thing. I really didn’t believe that he would hurt you.”

“The man was a serial killer, what the hell did you think he would do? I should drop you where you stand, but you are much more valuable to me alive…for now at least.”

“I’m touched,” he said.

“Just remember who holds your pathetic life in her hands. Daddy put me in charge of finding the leak. He wants their head on a platter…your head. Don’t believe for one second that you are more important to him than the Centre…you will find yourself in for a rude awakening.”

Lyle studied her silently for a moment. “You know, don’t you?”

“Know what?” she asked.

“You know the truth about Andrew.”

“If you mean that he is my son…yes.”
“I’m surprised Dad is still breathing,” Lyle grinned.

“Unfortunately I am not a cold-blooded killer like my dear brother,” she replied sarcastically.

“Does Jarod know?” he asked ignoring her comment.

“Yes. Willard took great pleasure in taunting him with the information…signed his own death warrant.”

“Jarod killed him,” Lyle stated flatly.

“Willard left him no choice. He threatened his family…”

“And you…”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” she asked defensively.

“I know there is something between the two of you. You can deny it all you want to, but I have seen the glint of light in your eyes at the mere mention of his name. You are in love with him…and always have been.”

“You are delusional, Lyle. The only thing between Jarod and me is Andrew…our son.”

“If that’s true then explain why it is that whenever you need him, he’s always there. He has repeatedly risked his freedom and his life for you.”

“He has risked his life for total strangers…that means nothing.”

“Maybe so, but Jarod values his freedom and his family above all else…all else that is except you. Our elusive pretender has risked both for you on more than one occasion. That tells me that he loves you and has loved you since you were children…long before Andrew came into the picture.”

Desperate to change the subject, Miss Parker faced Lyle. “How long have you known that Andrew was my son?”

“After he was born and Dad returned to his position here at the Centre, he told me the truth and that Andrew was the key to getting Jarod back and to keeping you under control.”

Miss Parker sank down in the chair Lyle had vacated and ran her hands through her hair. “How could someone be so heartless…to sacrifice his own grandchild.”

Lyle perched on the arm of the chair. He reached down and brushed a lock of her hair back from her face. “I wish I knew. Maybe then I could begin to understand why he sacrificed me...his own son.”

Miss Parker glanced up at him in surprise.

Lyle stood and walked toward the door. He paused just before exiting and looked back at her. “I sometimes wonder what my life would have been like if things had been different,” he said softly then walked out leaving her with a bewildered expression on her face.

“Are you all right, Miss Parker?” Sydney asked as he entered a few seconds after Lyle’s departure. “Did Lyle upset you?”

“I am fine, Syd,” she smiled and rose from the chair.

I was just wondering if you would like to accompany me down to SL-17. I have a very special patient to see,” he smiled with a wink.

A brilliant smile spread across Miss Parker’s face. “Andrew?”

Sydney nodded, “Andrew.”

She threw her arms around Sydney’s neck and hugged him tightly. “But what about the surveillance cameras?”

“Angelo is standing by to loop the video feed and buy us a few minutes with him.”

“Then let’s go,” Miss Parker smiled.

Sydney held his arm out to her and together they walked out of her office and toward the elevator. As soon as the doors closed, Sydney turned to her with a serious expression on his face. “Are you sure you are up to this? It is going to be very difficult for you to walk away once you have held him in your arms.”

Miss Parker smiled. “I will be okay, Syd. I promise.”

Sydney gave her a slight nod and turned his gaze to the sub level indicator. He prayed that he was not making a mistake…that she would be able to handle the emotional roller coaster she was about to go on. Mother and son would be reunited even if only for a few precious minutes and God willing, Andrew would soon be in his parents’ arms…permanently.

Miss Parker entered the nursery and immediately went to the crib not even caring if the cameras were on or off. She scooped Andrew up and hugged him tightly to her. “Hi,” she whispered, tears glistening in her eyes as she looked into the grinning face of her son. “You have gotten so big…such a big boy,” she said as the tears began to fall. “I love you, my son and very soon we will be together…I promise.”

“Miss Parker,” Sydney said, his voice filled with concern. “Are you all right?”

“I am a mother, Syd,” she said, smiling through her tears.

“Seeing you like this…the pure joy radiating from you…reminds me so much of the way your mother looked the day she first brought you to see me. You were just a few weeks old and already I could see the mischief in your eyes. She was so proud…” his voice drifted off.

“Syd, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” he said shaking his head. “We had better be going.”

She nodded and kissed Andrew on his chubby little cheek. “Soon, my baby boy. Soon we will be a family…you, your Daddy, and me. We love you very much.” After gently placing Andrew back in the crib she covered him with a blanket and leaned over to place a kiss on the top of his head. “’Til I see you again,” she whispered.

Sydney took hold of her hand and together they left the nursery and turned down the corridor toward the elevator. Safely inside the doors closed behind them and both breathed a sigh of relief.

It was then that a sudden thought occurred to Miss Parker. “Sydney, you said that my mother brought me to see you a few weeks after I was born. Why didn’t you tell me that before? I mean you have always said that you have known me since I was a little girl…not since I was a baby.”

Sydney’s eyes flickered with an emotion that vanished before Miss Parker could identify it. “It was the one and only time…the next time I saw you, you were about five or six years old. A precocious little girl with fiery blue eyes and a temper to match,” he chuckled softly. “I loved to watch you and Catherine together…you were quite the pair.”

Miss Parker heard something in his voice that triggered a memory. “I remember once…you brought me a present…a necklace. You told me that it had belonged to your mother and that you wanted me to have it.”

Sydney nodded, “Yes, it was her favorite locket. Inside was a picture of she and I together when I was very young.”

“It’s in my mother’s jewelry box…”

“You kept it?”

“It was a gift from you, Syd. Of course I kept it,” Miss Parker smiled. “I never did understand why you gave it to me though. Did you not want to save it to pass on to your own children? By rights it should go to Nicholas since he is your son.”

Sydney shook his head, “No, Parker. I wanted you to have it…I still do. Though I would like to see it again.”

“I will find it for you when we get to my house,” she smiled and touched her hand to his cheek. “Thank you for always being there for me. For being a part of my life.”

“I wouldn’t have had it any other way,” Sydney said as he leaned in and kissed her on the forehead. The elevator doors opened then and they walked back to her office in silence.

**********

Broots walked into Miss Parker’s kitchen and poured himself a cup of coffee. Jarod was on his third cup in less than an hour, still typing away on his laptop at the dining room table. They had been working day and night on their plan, preparing for every possible contingency.

Returning to the dining room, Broots topped off Jarod’s cup and set the pot on the table. “Jarod, why don’t you take a break…go get some rest. You haven’t slept more than a couple of hours at a time in days.”

“I’m used to existing on very little sleep. It’s a side effect of being on the run,” he smiled wearily. “I will sleep once the Centre is out of our lives forever and my family is safe.”

Broots nodded and took a sip of his coffee. “Jarod, I…” he began but stopped himself.

Jarod gave his friend a sideways glance. “What is it, Broots?”

“When this is all over, I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me.”

“Forgive you?” Jarod asked with eyebrows raised. “Forgive you for what?”

“One day, very soon, you will understand,” Broots said. Then getting up from the chair, he walked out the front door closing it behind him.

Settling himself on the porch steps he downed the rest of his coffee and looked up at the stars. “I’m sorry,” he whispered into the chilly night air.

Miss Parker and Sydney arrived at her house a little after ten o’clock. Broots was sitting at the dining room table working on something when they walked in.

“Hi, Broots. Where’s Jarod?” Miss Parker asked.

“I finally convinced him to go lie down and rest for awhile.”

“How did you manage that?” Sydney asked with a smile.

“I had gone outside for some air and when I came back in he was asleep in his chair with his head resting on the keyboard. After that, it didn’t take too much convincing. I just told him that he had erased part of the data we needed. He felt so bad that he agreed to get some rest.”

“Did he really delete the data?” Miss Parker asked.

Broots chuckled, “No, but hey, it worked.”

Miss Parker laughed then turned to Sydney. “I will go check on him and get the locket from my mother’s jewelry box.”

Sydney nodded and went into the kitchen to pour him a cup of coffee. Broots followed him to refill his own cup.

“Miss Parker seems happier than I have seen her in weeks. What happened today?”

“I took her to see Andrew,” Sydney smiled.

“That must have been difficult for her…having to leave him behind.”

“It was, but you should have seen the joy in her eyes. She is a wonderful mother…so much like Catherine.”

Jarod was asleep. His long body draped across her bed at an odd angle. Miss Parker shook her head and laughed softly as she grabbed her mother’s quilt and covered him with it. Sitting down gently on the edge of the bed she ran a hand through his hair and leaned over to kiss him on the cheek.

“Sweet dreams, my love,” she whispered.

Getting up from the bed she quietly lifted the lid of her mother’s jewelry box and scanned the contents. She smiled as she found what she was looking for…a small blue velvet box. Opening it slowly she took out the locket and held it in her right hand. In her left, she still held the blue box.

As she started to leave the room, she accidentally dropped the box. It fell to the floor and the lining fell out along with a folded piece of paper and a picture. Switching on her bedside lamp, she retrieved the items from the floor. Looking at the picture her heart skipped a beat.

Sydney was stoking the fire in the hearth when he heard someone come into the room. He straightened and turned to find Miss Parker staring at him, her face ghostly pale. “Parker, what is it? What’s wrong?”

“I found the locket,” she said, her voice shaky. “Now I know why you gave it to me,” she held her hand out to him.

Sydney stared down at her outstretched hand. In it she held the locket, the letter he could recite by heart and a picture of her as a baby in the arms of her mother. He could still remember the words Catherine had written on the back of the photo…All our love, Catherine and Madeline.

“Answer me, Sydney,” Miss Parker cried. “Why didn’t you tell me that I am your daughter?”

Sydney sat down on the edge of the hearth suddenly feeling a hundred years old. “God, I wanted to…so many times,” he replied softly. “But I couldn’t.”

“Why not, Sydney?” she asked angrily. “And please don’t tell me that it was to protect me because I have heard that one too many times.”

“Because your mother begged me not to. She said that if your fath—Mr. Parker were to ever learn the truth that he would kill you both. She wrote that letter just after you were born and gave it to me the day she brought you to see me. I was happier than I had ever been in my life. I had a daughter…a beautiful little girl.”

“So my whole life has been a lie,” she said as she slowly sank to her knees on the floor in front of him. Staring blindly into the dancing flames she did not even attempt to hold back the tears that were streaming down her face.

“No, please don’t say that,” Sydney said as he sat down on the edge of the hearth. “We did what we thought was best…”

“Really,” Miss Parker laughed bitterly. “Why is it that whenever someone in my life has lied to me, it was always what they thought was best? Well, it wasn’t,” she screamed at him. “Look what I have become…I am him…I am a Parker…a heartless, vengeful creature that I have to look at in the mirror each and every morning…”

Sydney shook his head, “No, Madeline. You are not like him. You are a wonderful, brilliant, beautiful woman…your mother would be so proud of you. I know I am.”

After a moment of silence, Miss Parker looked down at the items she still held in her hand. “So what other secrets are you keeping from me? You might as well tell me now because I don’t think I can take any more surprises,” she whispered.

Sydney reached his hand out to gently wipe away her tears. “I know you are deeply hurt and angry, and I hope that one day you will be able to forgive me for lying to you all these years. But I have waited three decades for this moment so I could tell you that I love you, my darling Madeline.”

As she stared into the eyes of the man she now knew as her father, Miss Parker found in their depths the one thing she had searched for her entire life. The one thing that the man who had raised her had never once given her…unconditional love.

Without a word, she moved into Sydney’s embrace, wrapping her arms around his neck, her tears soaking his shirt as she cried.

“I swear I will do everything in my power to make up for the past…to show you how much you mean to me,” he whispered as he held her.

“You already have,” she said softly. “You already have.”

**********

As the Centre loomed on the horizon, Jarod’s heart began to pound in his chest. They were about to reach the point of no return.

Picking up Jarod’s cell phone, Broots dialed Sydney’s number. He let it ring twice then cut the connection. Then he repeated the action. “That should do it,” he told Jarod.

“This is where we part ways,” Jarod said as he pulled the van off the road and into a stand of trees less than a hundred yards from the Centre grounds. Slipping the small headset on, he adjusted the microphone and listening device carefully.

“Can you hear me okay?” he said into the mouthpiece.

Broots nodded, “Loud and clear.”

Jarod got out of the van and with a wave, vanished into the early evening darkness. “Watch your back, Broots,” the pretender’s voice sounded in Broots’ right ear.

“You too, my friend. I really don’t want to have to come in there after you,” Broots responded with a slight smile.

“Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that,” Jarod chuckled.

Broots watched the blinking light as it moved across the computer screen. “The tracking beacon is working like a charm, Jarod. I can see your every move.”

“Good,” he responded. “Let’s hope that you don’t lose the signal once I am inside.”

“It should be fine. Nick said that it has a range of fifty miles.”

“I’m just about to go in,” Jarod said. “Time to go into silent mode. Wish me luck.”

“Be careful, Jarod,” Broots said.

Jarod slipped quietly through the opening and into the ventilation shaft. There he paused to catch his breath and give Sydney and Miss Parker time to get into position.

Nick and several FBI agents were standing by as a precautionary measure only. It had been decided that they should not make a move unless absolutely necessary. The Centre could not know that the FBI was on to them until the time was right. If Broots’ cover were to be blown prematurely, his life would be in grave danger as well as Debbie’s.

Jarod gathered up his bag, slinging it over his shoulder, and headed down the main shaft he reached the junction and turned right.

“No, Jarod,” a voice came from behind. “Baby is this way,” Angelo said, stepping out of the shadows.

Jarod nodded and followed without question as Angelo led him into a part of the ventilation system where he had not been since they were children. Memories flooded back of the times he had brought Parker there. They used to spend hours talking and dreaming of the future…that was before her father had sent her off to boarding school in Europe.

Dragging his mind back into the present just as Angelo stopped in front of a grate, Jarod watched as his lifelong friend removed the cover and dropped through the opening into a small room that had once been part of a sim lab.

Following Angelo, Jarod landed silently on the floor and looked around. He saw the crib and his heart stopped for a split second.

“Your son…” Angelo grinned.

“My son,” Jarod gasped as he moved quickly toward the crib and looked inside. He smiled as tears of pure joy pooled in his eyes.

Andrew giggled softly and raised his chubby little arms into the air the instant Jarod appeared over him.

Jarod smiled as he lifted his child from the crib and cradled him against his broad chest. “Hi, Andrew. I’m your dad and I am taking you away from this place.”

“We must go now. They are coming,” Angelo said.

Wrapping Andrew in his blanket, Jarod tucked him into the specially designed carrier inside his backpack. “Hold on tight, Andy, you are in for a rough ride,” Jarod grinned as he placed the protective hood around his son’s head. It would keep him from being jostled around too much. As soon as Andrew was secured in the carrier, Jarod slipped the backpack on and headed for the vent.

Angelo was already inside the ventilation shaft when Jarod reached the opening and started to climb in. Just then the door opened and Mr. Parker walked in followed by Lyle. He froze and turned to face them.

“Jarod…what the hell,” Lyle said pulling his gun.

Mr. Parker cast his son an angry glare. “Lyle, put it away.”

Lyle obeyed returning the angry look. “Yes, Dad.”

“Jarod, give me the baby,” Mr. Parker said taking a step toward the pretender.

“You stole my life…I’ll be damned if I’m going to let you have my son,” Jarod growled.

Mr. Parker held his hands out in front of him as he took another step toward Jarod. “Andrew is Centre property. We created him…he belongs to us. You think you can just waltz in here and take what doesn’t belong to you?”

His rage barely under control, Jarod shook his head. “When are you people going to realize that when you play God…you walk with the devil? I am taking my son out of this hell before you have the chance to destroy him.”

“Jarod, you will never make it out of here carrying a baby. You will be jeopardizing his life as well as your own. Think this through, please,” Mr. Parker said.

“At least he won’t have to live a lifetime as one of your lab rats. He will die knowing that his parents loved him enough to risk everything to save him from the kind of life you had to offer.”

“This is insane, Jarod,” Lyle said as he toyed with the idea of rushing the pretender and taking the baby by force. He was just about to make a move when the lights flickered and went out. A few seconds later the emergency backup lights came on, but the diversion gave Jarod all the time he needed to slip past them and run down the corridor toward the emergency exit.

“Thank you, Angelo,” Jarod grinned as he ran.

Lyle swore when he saw that Jarod was gone. “Jarod,” he called out as he pulled his gun and charged out into the corridor after the pretender.

Mr. Parker reached for his cell phone as he followed Lyle. “Jarod has taken my infant son. I want him captured and brought to me…alive.”

Jarod opened the door to the emergency exit then let it go. Stepping into the shadows, he watched as the plunger allowed the door to close slowly, effectively buying him some time. Lyle reached the door just as it closed and without hesitation, pulled it open and ran up the stairs. Mr. Parker was nowhere in sight.

“Come on little one, let’s go find your mom,” Jarod said softly.

Andrew gurgled softly in response, bringing a smile to his father’s face.

Jarod stepped out hiding and pulled open the emergency door. Only instead of going up, he went down…down to the next sub level. He knew that the ventilation shafts were out of the question as a means of escape. He had to find a less obvious way out and fast. Checking his watch, he realized that he was running ten minutes behind schedule.

“Broots, are you there, buddy? I need you.”

“I’m here, Jarod. What happened?”

“Unexpected company,” Jarod quipped. “Can you find me an alternate route out of here? I can’t take the emergency stairs.”

“There is an old boiler…goes all the way up to the lobby.”

“Where is it?”

“Go left to the end of corridor. The hatch should be in the wall just beyond the service elevator.”

Following Broots’ instruction, Jarod found the hatch easily and pulled it open. “Got it.”

“Be careful Jarod. The ladder is pretty shaky.”

Jarod did not stop to ask how Broots knew about the boiler. He removed his belt and hooked one end around the handle of the hatch. Grabbing hold of the ladder, he pulled on the belt, closing the hatch behind them. With a flick of his wrist the belt released. Slipping it into his jacket pocket, Jarod looked upward.

“Broots, see if you can find Parker. Tell her to meet me in the lobby,” Jarod said as he switched off his headset and began climbing, counting the hatches to keep track of the sub levels. Every few feet he would stop to make sure Andrew was still secure and protected. “Hang in there, Andy. Only fourteen more sub levels to go.”

Just as he reached SL-7, the hatch above him opened with a loud groan. A relieved and smiling Miss Parker held out her hand to him. “Hey there good looking, need a lift?”

Laughing he grabbed hold of her hand and stepped from the ladder to the edge of the hatch. “Where have you been all my life?” he grinned and kissed her.

“Right behind you,” she said as she returned the kiss. “Now where’s my baby boy?”

Jarod turned so she could see her son.

The sound of approaching footsteps interrupted the tender reunion. Jarod took hold of Miss Parker and pulled her down into the shadows beneath the metal staircase.

“Lyle, you know what has to be done,” Mr. Parker said as they came down the steps above the heads of the very people they were pursuing. “I don’t care what it takes, get that baby back.”

“I warned you that this would happen if they were to learn the truth.”

“Whatever it takes, Lyle,” Mr. Parker hissed. “That baby and Jarod are the number one priority. She…she is expendable.”

“You want me to kill my own sister?” Lyle asked in disbelief.

“Don’t you start getting sentimental on me now, son. This project cannot fail…the future of the Centre flows through the veins of that child and his father. She has outlived her usefulness just as her mother before her. I took care of Catherine…you take care of her.” Mr. Parker said as he stormed off down the corridor.

As if in a daze, Lyle remained at the bottom of the staircase for several minutes, then slowly followed.

Miss Parker melted into Jarod’s embrace. If she had not heard it with her own ears, she would never have believed the man she had loved as a father could be so heartless.

“Are you going to be okay?” Jarod asked, his voice filled with concern. “I wish you hadn’t heard that.”

Shaking her head, Miss Parker wiped the tears from her eyes. “No, it’s past time that I heard the truth. You tried to tell me...”

“I never expected that he would ever go this far,” Jarod whispered.

“If anything happens to me, Jarod, I want you to promise me that you will take our son, run far away from here and never look back.”

“Parker,” Jarod began but was silenced by her finger on his lips.

“Promise me,” she said firmly.

“All right,” Jarod touched her cheek and gently swiped at a stray tear with his thumb. “But you have to make me the same promise, Parker. No matter what happens, you take our son and go. Get to Broots, he knows what to do. He will set you up with new identities in a new place, far away from Blue Cove. The Centre can never get their hands on Andrew again.”

Miss Parker’s voice was shaky as she agreed. “I promise.”

“We have to get moving,” Jarod said. He stood and stepped out from their hiding place. Taking hold of Miss Parker’s hand, he led her along the corridor keeping to the shadows as much as possible. “This way,” he whispered, opening the door to the emergency stairway.

“I will go first,” she said as she released the safety on her gun. Then turning, she started up the stairs with Jarod on her heels. They reached the door of the lobby in record time and paused to catch their breath.

“I don’t hear anything,” she whispered.

Jarod’s heart was in his throat as he gave a slight nod. “On the count of three…one…two…three.”

On three, Miss Parker threw her body against the door, her gun aimed and ready to fire. Jarod was right behind her, his gun aimed in the opposite direction. The lobby was deathly silent, a fact that sent chills up and down their spines.

“This doesn’t feel right…come on,” Jarod said as he took hold of Miss Parker’s arm and pulled her toward the main entrance.

Lyle stepped out of the shadows in front of them, effectively cutting off their escape route. He had a gleam in his eyes and a smug look on his face. “Going somewhere?”

Miss Parker leveled her 9mm, aiming it at her brother. “Out of our way, Lyle.”

“Sorry, Sis, I can’t let you leave with that baby.”

“Lyle, Andrew is your nephew…an innocent child who in the Centre’s eyes is little more than a hybrid lab rat for them to use and exploit for their own gain. You told me that you wondered what your life could have been like if things had been different…if you had not been taken away from your family…from our mother. Andrew still has a chance at the life you never did. You can give him that chance, Lyle. Just let us go.”

“It’s out of my hands, Parker,” Lyle said with a hint of regret in his voice and in his eyes.

“Then you leave me no choice,” Miss Parker shook her head and slowly started to squeeze the trigger.

“Drop the gun, Angel,” Mr. Parker bellowed.

Turning, she faced him, her gun lowered to her side. Unprepared for the look of pure loathing in his eyes, Miss Parker nearly faltered. “Daddy?”

“How dare you betray me,” he growled. Then raising his hand, he slapped her across the face. He hit her so hard that she fell to the floor, where she lay staring up at him in stunned silence.

“You son of a…” Jarod lunged for Mr. Parker, but was grabbed by four sweepers who pinned him against the wall. Out of fear for Andrew’s safety, he struggled for control of the rage boiling up inside him.

Getting up from the floor, Miss Parker rose to her full height, her jaw set in stubborn determination as her eyes blazed. “Did you really think that you could keep the truth from me?” She stepped forward until she was a fraction of an inch from his face. “No, it was you who betrayed me…just as you betrayed my mother. ‘Trust me,’ you always told me…and I did. Over and over again, I dared to believe in you and over and over again, you lied to me. No more lies…no more,” she said, her eyes brimming with tears.

“Take her away,” Mr. Parker ordered.

Miss Parker grabbed his arm as he turned away from her. She almost told him that she knew that he was not her real father, but thought better of it. As long as she kept up the charade of the gullible daughter, she could play on his conscience…what little there was of it. “How can you do this to your own grandchild?”

“Andrew is a test subject…nothing more, nothing less,” he said coldly. “And there are more where he came from. Six more to be exact…frozen embryos just waiting to be implanted into willing surrogates.”

“You bastard,” Miss Parker hissed and raised her gun.

Lyle reached in and took the 9mm from her grasp then knocked her out with his own gun. “Sorry, Sis,” he said softly as if he actually meant it.

“Take her down to SL-26 and lock her up,” Mr. Parker said flatly.

Lyle pulled his father aside. “Dad, what if we were to have one of the remaining embryos implanted in her? It would eliminate any risk of rejection. Not to mention the fact that she would be much easier to control if she were in a ‘delicate condition’.”

“You could be right,” Mr. Parker nodded. “Make the arrangements.”

Jarod felt sick to his stomach as he heard the exchange between the two men. He attempted to get to Miss Parker but the sweepers kept a firm hold on him.

Mr. Parker approached the pretender. “It’s good to have you back, Jarod,” he smiled as he lifted a wailing Andrew from the backpack and handed him to a nurse. “You remember that day in the plane on the airfield in North Carolina? I told you that to survive, man is capable of almost anything. Maybe you should start thinking about your own survival…once Andrew reaches his full potential, you, my boy, will be rendered obsolete.”

“How can you do this to her?”

“Take him away,” Mr. Parker ordered the sweepers while ignoring the pretender’s comments. “And make damn sure that he cannot escape again.”

“She will not cooperate,” Jarod said.

Mr. Parker smiled, “She will if she loves you as much as I think she does.”

Jarod struggled in vain against the sweepers. The last thing he saw before they rendered him unconscious, was Lyle lifting Miss Parker into his arms and carrying her into the elevator.

**********

Broots frantically scrambled into the driver’s seat of the van, started the engine and shoved the accelerator to the floor sending a cloud of dust and a shower of rocks into the air. As the van careened down the narrow, winding road he dialed Nick’s cell phone and raised it to his ear.

“Nick,” Broots gasped. “Meet me at Miss Parker’s house…and come alone.”

“What happened?” Nick asked.

“Just get to Miss Parker’s house, I will explain everything when I get there.”

“Be careful, Chris.”

“I will,” Broots said as he pressed the button to end the connection, then tossed the cell phone onto the passenger seat. “God, help us all,” he whispered.

**********

Jarod awoke on the floor of his old cell, cold and dizzy. As he struggled to his feet he was overcome by a wave of nausea and barely made it to the wash basin. Once the retching subsided, he cleaned himself up and rinsed out the sink. Then slowly made his way to the bed where he lay down on his back with his left arm covering his eyes.

He wanted nothing more than to get his hands on Mr. Parker and Lyle. As angry as he was at that moment, he knew that he could kill them and not blink an eye. He could only imagine what they were doing to Miss Parker at that moment.

Thoughts of Andrew crept in and cooled his anger by a few hundred degrees. He smiled as he remembered his son’s smile and chubby little arms waving in the air as he begged to be held. Though he had only had a short time with him, Jarod knew that he loved Andrew more than anything in the world and he would do anything to save him from the life he had lived.

Somehow, he had to get to Andrew. As much as it killed him to think of leaving Miss Parker behind, he knew there was no other choice. He had promised her that no matter what happened to her, he had to save their son and he would keep that promise.

The sound of the door lock jerked Jarod from his thoughts. It opened slowly and a very shaken Sydney stepped quickly into the room. “Syd?”

“Jarod,” Sydney whispered and hugged him tightly. “Are you all right?”

“I will be just as soon as Andrew and I are far away from this place.”

“That’s why I am here,” Sydney said. “I just heard from Nurse Henderson. She said that Mr. Parker is having Andrew moved to an undisclosed location tomorrow morning. She is going with him.”

Jarod started to pace angrily. “Sydney, I won’t let them take my son.”

“They are leaving by helicopter before dawn.”

“Is Mr. Parker going with them?”

“No,” Sydney frowned.

“Of course not,” Jarod growled angrily. “He is more interested in his latest experiment.”

“What experiment is that?” Sydney asked though he wasn’t sure that he wanted to know the answer.

“They are going to implant one of six embryos that they have on ice into Miss Parker. They figure that her body will not reject it since she is the natural mother.”

“Dear God, is there anything they will not do for the sake of power?”

“It was Lyle who planted the idea into his father’s head. He seems to think that she will be easier to control if she is with child.”

“Unfortunately they are probably right. Miss Parker will never do anything to jeopardize the life of her unborn baby.”

“I made her a promise that if anything went wrong, I would take Andrew and run. I am not sure I can do it, Syd. I love her and I cannot see a life without her. Andrew needs his mother...what am I going to do?”

“You are going to keep your promise,” Sydney said. “Andrew deserves a chance at a normal life. Miss Parker will be safe as long as she cooperates with them which I am certain she will do no matter how much she wants to resist. As soon as she is able to travel without risk to the baby, I will contact you and we will find a way to get her out of here.”

Jarod nodded slowly. “Syd,” he whispered with tears shining in his dark eyes. “Tell her…tell her that I love her.”

“I will.”

“Promise me that you will watch over her every minute.”

“Jarod, there is something you don’t know. We were going to tell you before…Miss Parker is my daughter.”

Jarod smiled, “I wondered what all the secretive looks and smiles these past few days were about.”

“I am sorry we didn’t tell you sooner. We wanted to wait until Andrew was home, safe and sound.”

“You had better go, Sydney. I don’t want them thinking that you had any part of this.”

“Be careful, Jarod. I couldn’t bear it if anything were to happen to you or my grandson,” he said.

“I will. You too.”

Sydney nodded then left the room quickly.

Jarod paced the room for over an hour. Then glancing down at his watch, he noted that it was nearly four a.m. “Now or never,” he whispered then opened the door which Sydney had left unlocked and ran down the deserted corridor. It took him only ten minutes to reach the door to Andrew’s nursery, but when he started to go in, he heard footsteps approaching.

Opening the door across the way, he slipped inside the room and looked around at the stacks of boxes and over-flowing file cabinets before returning his attention to the corridor. He opened the door just enough to be able to see who was coming.

Mr. Parker and Raines approached the nursery followed by four sweepers. They opened the door and entered the room where a silver-haired woman, who had to be Nurse Henderson, sat waiting with Andrew in her arms. Jarod could see that she was terrified.

“It is time to go, Nurse Henderson,” Mr. Parker said gruffly. “Raines here and the sweepers will escort you to the roof where the helicopter is standing by to take you and Andrew to a safe house. There you will remain until such time that it is deemed safe to return him to the Centre. Dr. Raines will be accompanying you, as will two of his sweepers. Do not even think of betraying me or you will pay a heavy price. Is that clear?”

“Yes, Mr. Parker,” she uttered, her voice shaky.

“Very well then. Raines, take them and go.”

“Yes, Mr. Parker,” Raines replied.

“That warning goes for you too,” Mr. Parker said. “Betray me and you die.”

“Yes, sir,” Raines nodded.

Jarod did not wait around for the rest of the conversation. He climbed into the air ducts and headed directly for the helicopter-landing pad on the roof. If he didn’t get there before them, Andrew would be gone.”

Barely winded, he reached the roof and spotted the pilot standing next to the helicopter. Silently he crept up behind him and hit the man over the head with a crowbar. “Sorry,” he smirked. Dragging the unconscious man over to an air conditioning vent he shoved him inside and closed the cover. Then armed with the pilot’s hat and jacket he climbed into the cockpit and started the blades to turning.

Two minutes later the small group emerged from the building and approached the helicopter. Nurse Henderson and Andrew were secured into their seats first then the sweepers turned to help Mr. Raines. Jarod took that moment to pull back hard on the stick and the helicopter lifted off the roof.

“Hold on tight, Nurse Henderson,” Jarod called out to her.

Nurse Henderson smiled with relief although her eyes were wide with fear. She did not have to ask to know who was in the pilot’s seat. Sydney had told her that Jarod would never let them take his son from him.

Jarod brought the tail around knocking the sweepers to the ground. Raines had wisely hit the deck at the first sign of danger. “Sorry guys, but you should never get between a man and his son,” the pretender grinned.

Minutes later they were safely away from the Centre and flying low along the coast.

Nurse Henderson laughed aloud, “You must be the infamous Jarod.”

“Guilty,” Jarod chuckled.

“It is a pleasure to finally meet you.”

“I just hope I didn’t frighten you too much. There was really no way to warn you in advance.”

“Believe me, I was much more afraid of that Raines character.”

Jarod laughed, “He is an interesting fellow. How is my boy back there?”

“Grinning from ear to ear,” she said as she adjusted Andrew’s blanket. “I could swear that he recognized you before we even boarded the helicopter. As soon as we walked out onto the roof, he started to smile and squirm in my arms. Almost like he knew what was coming…I know that sounds crazy.”

“Not in the slightest,” Jarod told her. “He is his mother’s son.”

“Miss Parker…she is a beautiful girl. Looks so much like Catherine.”

“You knew Catherine?”

“Yes, very well. I worked as a nurse at the convent where she was a regular visitor.”

Jarod’s heart started to pound. “Did you know a woman who may have stayed there once…her name was Margaret? She had red hair…”

“Maggie…” Nurse Henderson exclaimed. “Maggie McKenna was one of my assistants. A wonderful, bright girl with fiery red hair and a temper to match.”

Jarod’s listened as she described Maggie McKenna, his heart pounding with excitement.

“She had a pretty little daughter…Emily if I remember correctly. Her husband was gone a lot…never knew where he would go off to. Then one day he just never came back and Maggie took her little girl and vanished. I never saw her again. Why do you ask?”

“She is my mother.”

“Oh my God, you are…she used to cry out your name in her sleep. She had such terrible nightmares. I asked her about the dreams and she told me that she had lost her two sons, Jarod and Kyle. I never imagined that you were that Jarod. Your brother, Kyle…”

“He was killed by Mr. Lyle a few years ago.”

“I am so sorry, Jarod.”

“He died a hero,” Jarod smiled.

“It must run in the family,” Nurse Henderson winked at him.

Jarod blushed, “No, I am not a hero. I just play the cards that fate has dealt me…fate and the Centre.”

“Where are we going?”

“Miss Parker’s house.”

“Won’t they look for us there?”

“Yes, but we won’t be there long.”

The sun was just above the horizon as Jarod set the helicopter down in the clearing. Climbing down from the cockpit, he ran around to other side to help Nurse Henderson with Andrew.

“Jarod, thank God,” Broots called out as he and Nick ran toward them. “What happened? Where is Miss Parker?”

“We had to leave her behind. I will explain later. First, I need you to take Nurse Henderson and Andrew inside. I have find a place to ditch this helicopter.”

“How about the lake? I will follow you with the car,” Broots said.

“Good idea,” Jarod smiled. “Let’s go.”

“Nick, take them inside,” Broots said as he ran toward Miss Parker’s car.

“I am Agent Nick Kohler, Nurse Henderson. Let’s get you and this little guy in the house and get you both something to eat.”

“That sounds wonderful,” she smiled.

Once the lake came into view and he made sure that the area was clear, Jarod flew the helicopter just above the waves. Killing the power, the rotors immediately began to slow. Setting the aircraft down on the water, Jarod opened the cockpit door and bailed out diving deep and swimming as fast as he could. He could hear the still turning rotors as they sliced through the water.

Broots shook his head in amazement as he watched the helicopter roll over on its side in the water. The rotors broke apart, bits of metal flying out in all directions. He scanned the waves for Jarod and spotted him swimming toward the shore. He went out into thigh deep water to help his exhausted friend.

“Man, that was awesome,” Broots laughed.

Jarod smiled, “Yeah it was pretty cool wasn’t it.”

“How many does that make now?”

“How many what?”

“Centre helicopters that you have stolen,” Broots chuckled.

Jarod laughed, “I’ve lost count.”

“Let’s get you back and find you some dry clothes.”

Jarod nodded then opening the passenger side door slid into the front seat. “She’s going to kill me for ruining her leather seats.”

“Oh I think she will forgive you,” Broots smiled then started the engine.

**********

Miss Parker awoke in a haze. Her first thoughts were of Andrew and Jarod. Had they escaped or were they captured? What were they doing to them? She struggled to keep her fears at bay. She had to figure a way out and quickly. She attempted to open her eyes but her eyelids felt as though they weighed a ton.

The sound of muffled voices suddenly penetrated her thoughts. Struggling to focus, the voices became clearer. She heard Lyle and her father. They were speaking to someone whose voice she did not recognize. As she listened, she realized that she was the subject of their conversation.

“Only two of the six embryos survived the thawing process,” the stranger said. “We elected to implant both of them. The odds are excellent that they will continue to develop without complications.”

“They came from the same egg?”

“That is correct…they will be identical twins.”

“This is an interesting development,” Mr. Parker smiled. “How long until we know if the procedure was successful?”

“Forty-eight hours then we should have positive confirmation that pregnancy has been established.”

“What if she wakes up before then and goes ballistic?” Lyle asked.

“We have her sedated for the moment. It is very important that she remains calm. Any undue stress could cause her body to reject the embryos resulting in a miscarriage.”

Miss Parker could not believe what she was hearing. The reality of the situation hit her like a freight train. A single tear escaped from under her closed eyelid and slid down her cheek only to be absorbed by the pillow beneath her head.

Lyle turned toward the bed where his sister lay silent. He noticed the moisture gathering beneath her closed eyelids and realized that she was hearing everything they were saying. Strangely, he felt an urge to reach out and comfort her, but instead he turned his attention back to his father and the doctor. “Dad, don’t you have an early meeting with the stockholders this morning?”

Mr. Parker nodded, “Yes, I do. Dr. Samuels, keep her sedated as long as possible without endangering the pregnancy. If anything goes wrong, I am holding you personally responsible. Is that understood?

“Yes, Mr. Parker,” the doctor nodded.

“Lyle, I am placing you in charge of security. No one gets in or out of this room without your knowledge. I want armed guards posted outside that door around the clock.”

“Already taken care of,” Lyle said. “The guards will be here any minute. I am going to remain here until they arrive.”

“Very well,” Mr. Parker gave a curt nod then started to walk out of the room with Dr. Samuels. They were stopped by a seething, and out of breath Mr. Raines and sweepers.

“Jarod has escaped with the baby and Nurse Henderson,” Raines wheezed.

“What the hell?” Mr. Parker hissed then turned to Lyle. “I thought you said he was under heavy guard? How in the hell did he get away?”

Lyle quickly stifled a look of amusement. “Jarod knows every square inch of this place, Dad, you know that. If there is a way out, he knows exactly where to find it.”

Mr. Parker slammed his fist into the wall on his way out of the infirmary. “Find them immediately…start with my daughter’s house,” he ordered the sweepers who scrambled to obey. “I want that baby returned to the Centre yesterday…”

As soon as they were gone, Lyle burst into a fit of laughter. “This is going to be fun,” he chuckled.

“What is?” a weak voice came from behind him.

Turning toward his sister, he smiled. “Welcome back to the land of the living, Sis. How much of the conversation did you hear?”

“Enough,” she said softly.

“Frankly, I am amazed that you were able to control your emotions like that.”

“Since when do you give a damn how I feel?”

Lyle’s tone grew serious, “Since I realized that it wasn’t out of my hands. That I could give Andrew a chance at a normal life.”

Miss Parker smiled slightly as the pieces fell into place. “You let Jarod escape…so he could save Andrew.”

“I had to. They were going to take him to the Triumvirate in Africa, and believe me when I tell you, if that happened, you would never see your baby boy again. As for your twins…I knew that the only way to save them was to manipulate our father into implanting them inside you.”

“Why are you doing this?”

“Selfish reasons really,” Lyle shrugged.”

“Well, whatever your reasons are I am grateful. As long as my son is safe with Jarod far away from this place, I can deal with whatever plan they have for me.”

Reaching up he reduced the level of sedative going into her bloodstream through the IV. “I will come back in awhile to check on you. Until then, I need you to rest quietly. Do not let on that you are awake or they will increase the drugs,” he said gently squeezing her hand. Releasing it, he turned toward the door and left the room.

Alone with her thoughts, Miss Parker slowly moved her hand to her abdomen. The idea of two precious lives growing inside her filled her with such happiness. “Thank you, Lyle,” she whispered smiling brightly.

She would cooperate fully with the doctor. There was no way she was going to jeopardize the pregnancy. For once in her life, she would do whatever she was told…whatever they asked of her. Anything to protect her children…

**********

The instant Jarod walked into Miss Parker’s house, soaking wet Nurse Henderson started fussing over him. Which Jarod soon realized that he did not mind. It was almost like having his mother there…or at least what he thought it would be like.

“Jarod, I should tan your hide…you could have been killed.”

Broots was sitting at the dining room table laughing hysterically as Jarod was being given a scolding. He laughed even harder when the pretender cast him a ‘help me please’ look. “Sorry, buddy, you are on your own with this one.”

The ringing of the telephone caught everyone’s attention. Jarod grabbed it and raised the receiver to his ear. “Hello?”

“Jarod, it’s me. They are on their way. You have to get out of there,” Sydney said then cut the connection.

“We have to leave…now,” Jarod said as he took hold of Nurse Henderson’s arm. “I want you to go with Nick. He is going to place you in protective custody. You will be safe, I promise.”

“No, Jarod. I am staying with you. Andrew is my charge and I go where he goes.”

“It will be dangerous…”

“I loved your mother like my own daughter and I am not about to abandon her son and grandchild out of fear. Take me with you.”

Jarod smiled, “All right then. Let’s go.”

Broots gathered up Andrew and handed him to Jarod. “I’ll drive,” he said. “Nick you take the van and meet us at the location we discussed.”

“All right, Chris,” Nick nodded. “Watch your backs,” he said and ran out of the house.

Jarod helped Nurse Henderson into the back seat of Miss Parker’s Lexus and handed Andrew to her. She fastened him into his car seat and gave a quick nod. “We’re ready. Let’s roll,” she smiled excitedly earning her an amused grin from both Jarod and Broots.

“You heard the lady,” Jarod chuckled. “Let’s roll.”

Broots started the engine and pressed his foot down on the accelerator just enough to spin the tires in the loose gravel. “We are outta here,” he laughed.

They hit the highway and headed south, away from Blue Cove. In the rearview mirror, they saw several helicopters and land vehicles surrounding the house.

“Thank you, Sydney,” Jarod said in a singsong voice.

“Amen,” Nurse Henderson smiled.

“I’ll second that,” Broots said.

“Ga ba,” Andrew exclaimed, putting in his two cents.

Jarod turned and reaching back tickled his son’s foot. “Can’t stand to be left out, huh? You are your mother’s son,” he laughed.

“I can see how much you love him…and Miss Parker too,” Nurse Henderson said. “You have your mother’s heart, Jarod. And her courage.”

“Thank you, Nurse Henderson,” he smiled.

“Please, call me Ella…both of you.”

“All right, Ella,” Jarod nodded.

“Now, where are we headed?” she asked Broots.

“That is a good question, driver,” Jarod said with eyebrows raised. “Where is this location that you and Nick discussed?”

Broots glanced furtively over at Jarod. “It’s not far…a few hours drive.”

“In other words, it is top secret.”

“No, it’s just that there are things you need to know before I tell you.”

“And just when are you planning on filling me in?”

“When I get up the nerve to do so.”

“How about right now?”

Broots released a heavy sigh. “Jarod, I…”

“Just tell me, Broots. I can’t very well kill you while your driving,” Jarod teased.

“You might change your mind when you hear what I have to say.”

“Broots.”

“All right. I will tell you,” he gave in.

“I’m listening,” Jarod said reassuringly.

“First of all, I want you to know that everything I have done has been with the best intentions.”

“Go on.”

“A few years ago, shortly after I began my undercover assignment at the Centre, I began communicating via email and chat rooms with a girl. She went by the nickname ‘Delilah’.”

“And I suppose you were Samson,” Jarod chuckled earning him an angry glare from Broots. “I was right?”

“Do you want to hear this or not?”

“Sorry.”

“Anyway, we continued our online friendship for several months before we actually met face to face…”

“What was she like?” Jarod asked.

Broots smiled as he remembered. “She was amazing…beautiful, smart, funny, with an incredible smile.” Broots’ smile faded as he glanced over at Jarod. “Jarod, Delilah’s real name was Emily…Emily McKenna. She was your sister.

“What?” Jarod gasped.

“We met and we talked,” Broots smiled. “When I learned that she was also FBI, I told her about the Centre and that I was working under cover to expose them. It was then that she told me who she really was. She asked for my help in trying to find you and asked me to provide protection for your mother.”

Jarod was silent but his mind and heart were racing.

“It was after that day in Boston when the Centre showed up and interfered with your reunion. Emily said that she saw the anguish in your eyes when they were forced to drive away in that taxi and the image was forever burned into her memory. She told me that she could not bear to see you in such pain. She thought that by making sure that your mother would be safe, she could focus her attention on finding you and helping to bring down the Centre.”

“So all this time you have known where my family is?”

“Yes,” Broots whispered. “I am so sorry, Jarod.”

“My father and the boy?”

“They are with your mother. They call the boy Josh.”

Jarod nodded slowly, his expression unreadable.

“Jarod, I love your sister and we are engaged to be married. I truly hope to have your blessing, but I will understand if you aren’t willing to give it.”

Several minutes of silence followed before Jarod finally spoke. “Broots…”

Broots braced himself for the worst and was surprised to hear Jarod chuckle.

“Will you relax? Your knuckles are turning white.”

Loosening the death grip he held on the steering wheel, Broots risked a sideways glance at Jarod, but the pretender’s expression was unreadable. “Are you’re angry?”

“Yes, I am angry,” Jarod uttered with less venom than he had intended. “But I am also grateful and relieved that my family is safe…that fact I owe to you. I know what a risk you took in helping them.”

“So am I forgiven?”

“You are forgiven and you have my blessing. I could not ask for a better man for my sister. As long as she is happy, that is all that matters.”

Broots laughed with relief. “Thank you, Jarod.”

“I can’t believe I am finally going to be with my family.”

Nurse Henderson, who had remained silent up until that point, leaned forward and placed a hand on Jarod’s shoulder. “Your mother is going to be so happy to have you back in her arms.”

Jarod smiled and turned his attention to the passing scenery. As happy as he was to be going home, something was missing…or to be more accurate, someone was missing. He wished that Miss Parker were there with him. He never thought he could miss her more than he did at that moment.

“She’s going to be all right,” Broots said, reading Jarod’s thoughts.

“I wish I could be so sure.”

“You told me that you had to leave her behind. What happened?”

“Mr. Parker and Lyle…they’re playing God again. They are planning to implant one of six frozen embryos into her uterus.”

“My God, will that work?”

“It did with Brigitte and she wasn’t the biological mother…Miss Parker is.” Jarod turned to look out the window again. “Everything will be all right as long as I get her out of there before the baby is born.”

“How are you going to get her out? You know her father is going to have her under surveillance and guarded around the clock.”

“I’m not sure…yet.”

“Well, whatever plan you come up with, you can count on my help.”

“I know Broots. Thank you.”

“What could Lyle possibly have to gain by convincing Mr. Parker to implant the embryo into Miss Parker?”

“He may have done it to save her life,” Jarod said. “Mr. Parker ordered him to kill her. He made it clear that she had outlived her usefulness. Maybe Lyle figured that by creating a situation where she’d be deemed valuable to the Centre again he would not have to kill her.”

“Why would he care? God knows there is no love lost between those two.”

“I don’t know…but it appears that may have a heart after all.”

“For Miss Parker’s sake I pray it’s true,” Broots said.

“That could explain why he was acting so strangely when he came to visit Andrew in the nursery a few hours before Mr. Parker and Raines came to get us,” Nurse Henderson said.

“What happened?” Jarod asked.

“He just stood there staring down at Andrew. He seemed to be lost in his thoughts…not even acknowledging my presence. Then just before he left he turned to me, smiled and said, ‘Take care of my nephew and tell him that everything is going to be all right…I promise.’ After he was gone, I went over to Andrew and found a teddy bear in the crib with him that had not been there before.”

“That is strange,” Broots said.

“Either that or Miss Parker’s words struck a nerve in our illustrious Mr. Lyle,” Jarod said with a slight smile.

“What did she say to him?” Broots asked curiously.

“She basically reminded him that he had told her that he wondered what his life would have been like if he things had been different and he had not been taken from his family. Then she told him that Andrew could have the life that he never had if he would just let us go.”

“Obviously he did not let you go, but instead convinced Mr. Parker to implant the embryo into Miss Parker,” Broots frowned.

Jarod shook his head, “Whatever his motives, it will be a cold day in hell before I trust his actions or his words.”

“Jarod,” Nurse Henderson smiled. “Be careful that you don’t let your anger and hatred for Mr. Lyle cloud your judgment. You should know by now that people can have a change of heart and if he has reached that point, he may be the key to getting Miss Parker out of that place.”

“I will try to remember that, Ella,” Jarod nodded.

Broots pulled the car off the highway, turning into the parking lot of a small restaurant. “I don’t know about you guys, but I am starving,” he said as he shut off the engine.