Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Miss Parker stifled a yawn and grabbed for her robe. She got up slowly and stretched her sore muscles. Her shoulders, her lower back and especially the muscles in her thighs hurt like hell. She had almost forgotten about the physical effects of a few hours of exquisite sex.

She turned her head and looked down at the still body in her bed. Oh yes, it had definitely been worth it. Daniel knew exactly what to do and where to touch. And he was a quick learner. He had realized very soon, that it was her who wanted to run the show. And he had succumbed to her demands immediately.

Miss Parker leaned down and gave him a soft pad on his shoulder.

"Time to get up. I’ll need to go to work."

It took the bartender a few seconds to come to senses. When he remembered where he was he smiled up at her. A face full of content and satisfaction.

"Uh, could I take at least a shower?"

"I’ll go first. You could be a good boy and prepare a decent coffee in the meantime. Then you can hit the shower if you want, but make it quick. I’m already late."

When she entered her kitchen twenty minutes later, Daniel already sat on the table with a mug of coffee in hand and one waiting for her on the counter. She filled her mug and simply told him the shower was now his.

"Yeah, thanks it’ll just take a minute. But I wanted to ask something first: You know, I confess, that there were women in my life whose name I had forgotten in the morning. But I never had been with one who would not even tell me her first name at all. Don’t you think last night rewards that?"

Parker turned and looked out the window, slightly shaking her head. "You better not expect another night like this. You sure as hell do know about the concept of a one-nighter, which this was all it was."

Daniel didn’t reply. He simply got up and headed for the shower. As promised, he returned minutes later, already dressed in last night’s cloths.

Parker grabbed for her coat and keys. "Let’s go. I can’t drive you back to Dover, but I’ll drop you off underway where you can grab a cab."

He followed her out the door, after she’d gotten on the road, he glanced over, and to her dismay, started again.

"Last night was incredible. Parker! And even after only two hours of sleep and a few drinks too many you’re breathtakingly beautiful. I’d really like to get to know you better. It doesn’t need to be a one-nighter, I actually hoped we could see each other again."

Miss Parker stopped her car at the corner of Main Street in Blue Cove. She glanced at her watch, it was almost nine. She was late.

"I’m late for work, I’m tired and even a little hung-over. It was great last night, it really was, but there is just no point in this. But," she added with a mischievous grin, "if it makes you feel any better, I might feel tempted to drop by again sometime. Just don’t expect it to happen anytime soon."

The bartender smiled up at her. He leaned over and gave her quick kiss. "All right lady, have it your way. I’ll just keep on hoping to see the most incredible pair of legs enter that undeserving place again."

He left her car quickly and went to look for a cab. Miss Parker turned her Porsche around and headed out of town. As she had expected, three minutes after nine her cell rang. She knew who that was. "Broots, grab a coffee and relax. I’m on my way!" She was not in the mood and ended the call before the computer-geek could say anything. She’d be there in ten minutes anyway and that was early enough.



*********



At the Centre Sydney and Broots were already waiting in her office. "Well boys, what’s up?"

"Good morning Miss Parker. This just was brought to our attention." The doctor offered her a red notebook which was found in a hotel room in Salt Lake City.

"Who found it? That hopeless incompetent amateur who so much wants to be a career sweeper? And by the way, tragically reminds me of Brigitte."

"Yes, that team followed a lead to Utah and just brought it in. Should I run a computer search on the information in here?" Broots really hoped this would be something worth to put his hands on. There hadn’t been any good lead for weeks and

Lyle showed up in the tech room too many times for his liking.

***

There were many sweepers working from Centre offices around the country but Lyle had organized this one a few weeks ago as another ‘active’ team; a team just like they had been for more than five years now. Operating mainly from the Centre and going after concrete leads.

Miss Parker had not taken this news very well. Broots recalled how she had reacted when Lyle had presented this ‘new strategic move’. His formidable sister had been ready to chew furniture and spit nails. She had stowed out of the office, dragging Broots along.

"Broots get me all the information about the new team you can find, everything, you hear!" Rolling her eyes she had pushed him towards the general direction of the tech-room and exclaimed with only marginally contained anger: "God, I must have been Hitler in another life to deserve this!"

She knew her brother had arranged this only because he wanted to have more control over the pursuit. Since Raines had brought up the ‘whoever wins, lives’ challenge, neither Lyle nor herself would ever consider in earnest to work together. Not that they had done much of that before, but both of them knew an ultimatum when they heard one.

****

Miss Parker went through the contents of the notebook. Newspaper clips just like so many times before.

"No. He isn’t there anymore, and there is simply nothing that tells us where he went. This is just the thing Jarod wants. Having us tied on a damned rope and leading us in circles."

"What’s on your mind Miss Parker?" Sydney was surprised at her lack of interest.

"Think about it logically Syd. That is, if you’re able to do so. When did we ever get close to Jarod? Certainly not when we had a lead like this one. The only times we were remotely successful was, when we – you or I – were given something by him. When he left something behind that we could actually work on. No, this is just the usual game of ‘getting nowhere fast.’ Leave it to the other team, I will not waste my time on this."



**************************



Jarod returned from the restroom and retook his seat. He was now on a plane to Houston.

The plan he and his father had agreed on in case they’d really find his mother, was for all of them to fly to GB Airport in Houston and take a room at the airport hotel of the Days Inn motel-chain. Whoever got there first should simply wait for the others to arrive.

The pretender had come up with this choice at one time passing through. It was a motel like a million others, but the remote area seemed perfect. It was fifty miles north of the city-center, located in a predominantly industrial area. Three highways and the outer city beltway in close proximity to the motel would make sure that one could leave quickly and without a trace if necessity dictates it.

He was full of apprehension and anxiety. He would meet his mother. He put so much hope in that single prospect, it frightened him. How many times had he come close and how many times was this hope crashed? He should contain his optimism, if only to safe himself from disappointment. He didn’t know how many turn-downs he could take.

Years ago he had seen his mother in Boston for the first time in decades; losing any trace of her after that had been devastating.

A few months ago, on Carthis, he had caught a glimpse of her, but again only from afar.

Once again the Centre had been able to keep him from a reunion. Well, not in the Centre in a literal sense. Miss Parker had come on her own agenda and had shown up alone. His mother had disappeared again before his very eyes; merely seconds before he could get to her.

Never in his life had he hated the Centre more than in that one moment he had seen his mother leave in that tiny boat.

Curiously enough, though she had been the only one to show up, he never really blamed Miss Parker for it. When exactly he had started to separate ‘them’ from ‘her’, he didn’t know. Maybe he always had. All he knew was that it had not been her fault. She never wanted his mother to get hurt, he knew that.

She actually wanted him to find his mother. She had said so, and Jarod was sure that she was telling the truth.



********************



She was finally alone in her office. Lost in thought, she scribbled on a pad in front of her. Nothing to do as long as there was no lead on wonderboy. Well, aside from watching her own back for some back-stabbings by her mutant brother.

She knew what Lyle was capable of but his newest ‘trick’, this new team he had assembled was nothing more than a joke. How Lyle ever considered they would be more successful in catching Jarod was beyond her. But it had made her furious nevertheless. Because it robbed her of some of the so few chances of actually getting after Jarod. That one job in Chicago should have been hers. She was sure she would have been able to catch up with him.

She wanted – no she needed - to get close to him. Just once again.

After their last conversation after Carthis she had thought a lot about ‘their’ future. And after a few days of pondering, thinking and re-evaluating, she had come to a conclusion. She needed to talk to him, face to face. One last time she wanted to meet her prey and tell him.