Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

A/N -- To those of you who stuck with me to the end of this dismal little rambling thing I pass of as a fanfic, Thank You. I appreciate all the reviews. So just sit back, relax and enjoy this...it's the final part! Oh, and the story is after the 'Additional A/N' just in case you wish to skip it since it is kinda long. And no, I don't want to place it at the end of the fic. Something important is in there...somewhere.

Additional A/N -- I can't say that the negative reaction towards the death of Jarod was unexpected. What bothers me now is how come it only bothers certain readers in this particular story? No one ever seemed to mind when I've killed him in other fanfics. Also, no one seemed to mind when I killed Mr. Parker or Lyle. One can certainly understand my bewilderment and I would appreciate it very much if someone would be kind enough to explain it to me, seeing as my grey matter cannot comprehend this particular aspect of human behaviour.

Now, allow me to explain to you why I killed him. In my opinion, when a (main) character dies or is killed -- whether it be in fanfiction, movies or novels -- it lends a certain amount of weight to another character's actions. Why do you think certain movies like Gladiator and Dragonfly were so good? Because the 'good guy' or someone important to the main character was killed. Why do you think the Harry Potter books are so wonderfully accepted? Because Harry's parents (among other characters, as discovered in the fifth novel) were killed and it makes the reader sympathise with what he has to go through. Why do you think To Kill A Mockingbird (the movie and book) was critically acclaimed? If Tom Robinson were not wrongly accused and then killed, how else would it have been a moving story? How else were you to see the unfairness and cruelty of the world? As much as we would love the world to work fairly, the truth is, it doesn't. Good does not always triumph over evil. So by my killing Jarod, it lends a certain amount of weight to Miss Parker's actions and spurs her into performing those actions -- which she wouldn't have done otherwise. Also, you see the unfairness and cruelty of The Centre. You also are more aware of the tragic lives Jarod and Miss Parker  have led and have to lead. You also become more eager to sympathise with Miss Parker and accept her feelings of sorrow, anger, hatred and revenge. She now has a reason or a motive to act the way she does instead of just doing them simply because she can.

And there, ladies and gentlemen, is my justification for what has happened. I cannot and will not change it, as much as you wish I would do so. You have also learned a bit about the way I perceive things to be. I make no claim that it is correct, only that it is the way I feel. I am also, in no way, forcing you to accept the way I think of things. You are more than welcome to disagree with me. As said by Voltaire: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

All I can hope for now is that you would be able to look past Jarod's death and see what elements that move has brought into the story.

If you actually took the time to read through my pre-amblings, the story awaits below. And yes, I AM evil. *maniacal laughter*

 

Concrete Angel
Part 4

by DOTLP

 

"But I'll be with you wherever you go
So you will never be alone.
I'm going where the wind blows,
I'm going where the lost ones go."
[Sissel Kyrkjebo; Where the Lost Ones Go]

======

        Sydney took a seat at his desk and sipped his morning coffee, his brow furrowed with worry. The last time he had seen Miss Parker was on Friday of last week. It was now Tuesday and she still hadn't made an appearance at work. When he had tried calling her, he could never get in contact with her.

        Broots had been extremely worried about her and had confessed his fears to the psychiatrist. He knew Miss Parker wasn't one to take vacations, so her unexplained absence was weighing heavily on his mind, the same way it was on Sydney's. He remembered the technician's words: "This is The Centre Sydney, and I don't trust anything. Raines might have even ordered her death. Who knows?"

        With a heavy sigh, he placed his cup down on the desk and noticed a sheet of paper which had been folded in half with his name written across it. It was in Miss Parker's flowing handwriting.

        Relieved that she didn't seem to be dead, and more than a bit curious, he unfolded it and read its contents: 'Sydney, I've placed a key in the top drawer of your desk. It opens a safety deposit box at Dovertown National Bank. Open it and take everything you see there. Use the travel documents that have the final destination as Galveston, Texas. You'll also find new identities for you, Broots, Debbie, and Angelo to use with those tickets. They're to help you disappear from The Centre without them following your trail. I need you to get yourself, Broots and Debbie out of Blue Cove today. Have Cousin It use the ventilation systems to get out the same place Jarod had used to escape -- much easier getting him out that way. Then collect him and all four of you will meet me in Texas. When you reach there, destroy those identities. Someone will be there to meet you. You'll know who when you see them. As soon as you read this, LEAVE. I'm going to end this game once and for all! And be careful.'

        The old man heeded her orders and grabbed his jacket. He hurried to find Broots and showed him the note. He watched as his friend's eyes widened.

        "You heard her. Let's get the ball rolling," said Broots. Together, they went in search of Angelo.

        After finalising their plans, all three men left The Centre in less than an hour. Sitting behind the wheel, Sydney said, "Let's go get Debbie." They raced down the road. The same question wandered across Sydney and Broots' minds: What, exactly, did Miss Parker have in mind to do?

        Angelo sat in the back with an enigmatic smile. He had seen when Miss Parker had crept into The Centre last night through the air ducts and had followed her to Raines' office and then Sydney's. Before she left, she had spoken to him. He had felt her pain at having lost Jarod and she had made him promise not to tell Sydney or Broots or Debbie that Jarod was dead. She had also told him to listen to what Sydney and Broots would tell him to do the next day. It was important.

        The empath had kept his promise to her because last night it was the little girl who had been his friend that was speaking -- not the cruel woman she pretended to be, but the one who had shared his pain after finding out he was no longer Timmy.

        She had also asked him to give her all the DSAs he had and to remove the footage The Centre had of her coming in that night. She also asked him to remove all things pertaining to herself, Jarod, his family, Sydney, Broots, Debbie and himself. And he had done what she asked without question or hesitation. She had squeezed his knee, and then crawled away with the DSAs in tow.

        He still wasn't certain what she was going to do, but he was certain that it was going to be bad for The Centre.

        He pulled a box of Cracker Jacks from his coat and opened it. He happily ate the treat he had received from Daughter while fishing around inside for the prize.

======

        The late Tuesday-afternoon sun shone through the windows lending the room an eerie glow. Most of the Centre employees had left for the day.

        A raspy voice spoke up as he swivelled his chair around to face the man seated in front his desk. "So you mean to tell me that Jarod and Miss Parker were together?" He steepled his fingers beneath his chin, waiting for an answer.

        "Yes, Mr. Raines," answered Willie. He shifted a bit uncomfortably in his chair and continued. "I was able to follow her Friday night. When she pulled into Saint John's Cathedral, I thought it was just some sort of ritual, the way she just stood staring at the building. But then she started moving, so I decided to stay a while. It turned out to be a rendezvous with Jarod.

        "I almost lost her when she entered the woods, since she kept looking back as if she suspected someone were following her. So I eased up and let her get a good twenty-minute head start. After that, I headed in the direction she took.

        "That place was so dark and I thought I had lost her for sure. But then I saw where she was when the lightning flashed. She was kissing Jarod. I pulled my gun and waited for a flash of lightning to take aim. I did have it focused on Miss Parker, and then fired three shots when the light died away. I didn't mean to shoot Jarod, but somehow they moved in the few seconds between my taking aim and the time it took before I pulled the trigger. So Jarod was where Miss Parker had been and..."

        Willie failed to see the scowl that was gradually widening on Raines' face at hearing a detailed story he wasn't that interested in. The only thing that mattered to him was that Miss Parker was still alive and that spelled trouble for The Centre...especially after all that had happened to her. He had noticed her fierce sense of loyalty, and was not prepared to handle it's repercussions. Her sense of justice was not something he wanted to deal with either.

        His anger barely controlled, Raines interrupted, "Yes, you shot him. You were to shoot Miss Parker, NOT Jarod! And even if you killed Jarod, you were not to let her live. Why didn't you take a gun with night scopes?"

        "Because it would have caused too much suspicion."

        "Normally, yes. But the bloody place was deserted! It was close to midnight! And were you certain she didn't see you?"

        "Yes, sir. One hundred per cent certain she didn't see me. All she did was start shooting in my direction, but I had already started running back to my car."

        "That should be some small relief." He breathed deeply trying to quell his anger. It would do him no good to get worked up and unable to formulate a plan. He massaged his temples. After a few moments he started to relax.

        The phone chose that moment to ring. He picked it up after the third ring. The voice that greeted him on the other line shattered any semblance of tranquility he had achieved.

        "You wheezing bastard." Her tone was low and icy.

        "Miss Parker, how nice to hear from you." He glanced at Willie and signalled for him to start a trace.

        "Don't bother trying to trace me. I'm routed through so many servers, that you won't be able to find me for a month."

        Raines motioned Willie to forget it and to re-take his seat. "To what do I owe this pleasure then, traitor?" rasped Raines.

        She let out a short harsh bark of laughter. "You're one to be speaking about being a traitor. You fooled my mother into believing that you were helping her and then you killed her after she gave you what you wanted."

        "Ah, yes. It was rather satisfying to take your mother's life. The same way I'll take yours."

        "The next time you send one of your monkeys to finish me or the ones I hold dear, you had better make damn sure that I'm dead. You don't want to mess with me," she threatened.

        Raines' eyes burned into Willie's and he mouthed the words 'She saw you.' He watched as Willie squirmed beneath his gaze. "What do you want?" he finally asked.

        "I already have what I want. I have all the evidence I would ever need to bring The Centre down. It's a good thing you people are so keen on recording everything. The Triumvirate wouldn't be pleased to be brought out in the spotlight, so they'll deny ever being associated with The Centre. The authorities will keep such a close eye on them that they would never have the guts to re-open another think-tank."

        She paused for a second before continuing. "And since Mister Parker is gone, The Centre seems to be falling apart a lot faster. There is no Lyle to take over, so the castle is weaker now. The only block I need to remove now...is you, and then the whole thing crumbles."

        "You think you have it all figured out don't you?"

        "I know I do."

        "And how and where did you get the DSAs from?"

        "From one of your creations 'Doctor' Raines...Remember Timmy?"

        "How could I forget?"

        "Tell Willie that I don't make the same mistakes he does."

        "What's that supposed to mean?"

        "Let's just say that you trained Ethan well," she answered.

        "Go to hell!"

        "You first!" she spat venomously. "If I were you, I'd watch where my ass is."

        She had hung up before he could get in another word. He got up and quietly checked under his chair. Willie went over to join him. After a few seconds he pulled a little black box out triumphantly. The digits on it glowed bright red.

        They had no time to move and both men swore loudly.

        Three...two...one...BOOM!

        The explosion was huge. Glass from the windows shattered and everything in Raines' office became charred. The sound resonated throughout the building, making Hell's foundations quiver.

        Ten minutes away sirens could be heard as fire engines and police cars barrelled towards the smoking building perched on the hill.

======

        "The incident in Blue Cove, Delaware is still under investigation by local authorities. Yesterday afternoon, at approximately five forty three, the charred building you see behind me was blown up. However," stated the news reporter, "there were no injuries and only two deaths discovered. Police believe this to be the work of some person who had a grudge against the two dead persons. The police are not revealing any more details at this time."

        The reporter pressed her hand to her ear and said, "Hold a moment. A trusted source has just revealed that the police have found incriminating evidence against the people that had worked there. Among many of the atrocities committed was kidnapping, experimenting on children and killing. The evidence found warrants investigation from the FBI..."

        Miss Parker switched the television off and glanced at Ethan. She had asked Ethan to destroy The Centre mainframe in such a way that it would be impossible for anyone to ever re-construct it -- she had said that she didn't want there to be any mention of them. The only things left there were manilla folders with loathsome information about projects performed by Raines and others.

        She had also changed the flight documents Jarod had originally planted in safety deposit box number 367. She had formed another plan -- which had included the downfall of the Centre and blackmailing of The Triumvirate.

        "I need to get some things, so we'll make a stop at my place before we get Jarod and head over to Texas. He deserves a proper burial," said Miss Parker.

        "First stop, your place, then Jarod. Not a problem." After a moment of thought, he began quietly, "I'm sorry you two never had the chance to be together. You would have made each other so happy."

        "We would have. But now he's free...and so are we." She squeezed his hand lovingly before quickly letting go.

        Ethan smiled at her, and saw the pain in her eyes and heard the sadness in her voice through her brave words. He understood it, because her feelings were mirrored in his. Together, they picked up their bags and headed out the door in companionable silence.

        Unwittingly, she had fulfilled the prophecy that had been written on the scrolls now lying at the bottom of the sea. Jarod had only been able to read a part of it before Mr. Parker had rolled them up and jumped from the plane. If he had been able to read further, he would have found out a lot more:

        "The Centre shall rise. The chosen will be found, a boy named Jarod and a girl called Angel. Together, they will be unstoppable and make The Centre one of the most powerful and helpful organisations the world will ever know. But woe be unto them that try to destroy them both, for then, The Centre will cease to exist. Kill one of them and the one left alive will take revenge for what has been done to them their whole lives. The one left alive will make the towers of The Centre crumble, never to rise again. Take heed."

        And, indeed, The Centre had crumbled. But not without price on Miss Parker's part or Jarod's part. Once again, by the hands of The Centre, Miss Parker's heart crumbled. And Jarod's life had been stolen, again.

======

        The warm sun shone down on the eleven people gathered together at Galveston Public cemetery. A better Sunday morning couldn't have been asked for.

        The priest made his closing remarks before allowing Jarod's friends and relatives to give their eulogy. Jarod's mother, father and sister expressed their sorrow at not being able to get the chance to know their son and brother, especially since The Centre would be no more than a memory in a while. His clone, Ryan, said nothing. What could he have said? He was barely able to stifle his sobs.

        Angelo and Debbie stood side by side. They had become quick friends and she had helped Angelo adjust to a new world. Debbie held Angelo's hand as he cried for Jarod -- one of his few friends in the cold, dark, uncaring world that was The Centre.

        Sydney glanced in Ethan's direction. The young man's cheeks were covered in tears. The psychiatrist caught Ethan's eyes and motioned for him to go ahead. Ethan shook his head. He couldn't make any words pass his throat.

        Sydney nodded in understanding and started speaking. "I know that my words could never truly express the sorrow I feel for not having helped return Jarod to you Major and Margaret. I'm sorry that you never had the opportunity to watch Jarod grow into a man. I'm even more sorry that you won't get to know him as an adult." He saw them smile reassuringly at him through their tears.

        "Jarod was as dear to me as a son. Even though he was in such a hateful place, he never lost his humanity. He had so much love for people." He had to choke back a sob that was threatening to escape. Sydney composed himself before continuing. "He lived his life out of The Centre the same way he lived it when he was in it: constantly helping others. He will be missed terribly." The psychiatrist nodded that he was finished.

        Broots cleared his throat before starting. "I didn't know Jarod as well as Sydney or Miss Parker. But from the few times I met him, I learned that he cared deeply for his friends and the well-being of others. He also believed in justice. I will be forever grateful to him for helping me to gain custody of my daughter. If there is such a place as heaven, then that would be where Jarod is now. And he would continue to watch over us." He walked back and joined Debbie. He squeezed her shoulders.

        The person left to speak was Miss Parker. Amazingly, she was the most composed person there. She walked slowly towards the casket, then turned to face all that were gathered there.

        She sighed, and looked over her shoulders before beginning. She glimpsed her mother and Jarod on either side of her, each placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. She smiled and silently thanked her mother for inheriting her Inner Sense. She faced the waiting crowd.

        "Jarod and I have spent our entire lives searching for the truth -- and even though it always looked like we were on opposite sides, we were the same. We were finally able to admit to each other what we've both felt and denied for so long, only to have it snatched away from us."

        Miss Parker paused for a moment, then started quietly, "I can recall a statement made by Walter Winchell. He said: 'A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.' That was who Jarod was. He was my friend who was always there...even during the most difficult times of my life. No matter how much I pushed him away, he was always there." Her mind quickly drew back to the moment in front of Ocee's fireplace.

        She sucked in a shuddering breath. "I remember him telling me that it didn't matter how much the world was changing, because it always remained the same for us. We were still in it alone. He was wrong." She looked over her left shoulder. "You were wrong." All present thought she was speaking to his coffin, no one seeing what she was able to. Not even Ethan.

        "In the last moments of your life, you weren't alone. We weren't alone. We had found the happiness that was denied us for too long. And for those precious moments in time, I will always remember you and keep you close to my heart." She felt a feather-light kiss being placed on her cheek and slightly turned her head to the left. A wistful smile crossed her face as she turned around to see the Pretender. She watched as Jarod gave her a smile and then turned and disappeared.

        Her mother held her hand for a moment before vanishing. Miss Parker's hand lightly touched her left cheek and then dropped quickly to the side. The other mourners heard her whisper 'Goodbye' before turning around to face them. She silently made her way over to Sydney. He grasped her hand in his and was happy when she didn't pull it away. Instead, he felt her give his hand a light squeeze.

        They watched in silence as Jarod's casket was lowered into the ground. A stray tear fell from Miss Parker's eyes and she brushed it away quickly.

        And that was it. That was the end.

        The group headed out together. Broots was the first to speak. "Miss Parker, what do we do now?"

        "The Centre is destroyed. We can do...whatever we want." A small smile played on her lips at the thought of finally having the freedom to do anything.

        "Are you certain that The Triumvirate won't try anything?" voiced the Major.

        "Let's just say they received a warning from me," started Miss Parker. "They know that I have all the evidence in the world to end their existence. They wouldn't even think of doing anything to us. Besides, they're already in the spotlight with the investigations into The Centre. We don't even need to change identities, since nobody from The Centre would be coming after us. All the evidence that would be found would have no mention of any of us...thanks to Angelo."

        They were silent a while as they processed the information they had just received.

        "You're welcome to stay with us," offered Emily.

        "Yeah," piped in Ryan. "You can have my room," he finished shyly.

       "Thanks kid, but I don't think I want to intrude on your family," replied Miss Parker, noticing just how much the young man looked like Jarod -- although he lacked the confidence Jarod had possessed at his age.

        "Nonsense," scolded Margaret. "We'd be more than happy to have you. Without you, we wouldn't have been here. You could tell us about Jarod."

        "I think I'll leave that to Syd," she responded after a moment's thought. "I need to go away for a while...to come to term with things in my own time. Then I'll come back and we can talk."

        "That's understandable," said Charles.

        Debbie's hands snaked around Miss Parker's waist. "I'm going to miss you."

        Miss Parker gently stroked the young girl's hair. "I promise I'll be back in no time. Keep your father in line for me. And burn all those nauseating Hawaiian print shirts of his." Debbie chuckled, then let go.

        Angelo sidled up to her and clumsily embraced her. He whispered, "Daughter will be okay."

        "Yeah Angelo, I will be," she whispered back. She let him go. "So what will you guys be doing?" she asked, addressing Broots and Sydney.

        They glanced at each other then towards Margaret and Charles. Sydney said, " We were hoping to stay here for a spell...if that's alright with you two."

        Major Charles draped an arm across his wife's shoulders. "We'd be more than happy for you guys to stay with us a while." The Major had lost the resentment he had for Sydney after he got to know the psychiatrist after picking the group up from the airport at Ethan's request. If it weren't for Sydney, Jarod would never have been the man that he was, he had reasoned. He had also decided that Sydney was as close as he was going to get to knowing his son now. When Miss Parker returned, he was going to get to play a game of Twenty Questions with her.

        "Well, I'll see you all later," Miss Parker said as she stepped into her car.

        "What are you going to do now?" asked Ethan.

        A soft smile played on her lips as she remembered the promise she made to Jarod. "I'm going to live." She shifted the car into gear and drove away.

        All the others made their way back to Major Charles' residence. They still had lives to lead. And this time, they could do it without fear of The Centre destroying it. They no longer had to run and hide.

        A gentle breeze stirred some fallen leaves at the cemetery. Inscribed on Jarod's tombstone were the words of Jane Swan:

"And I will remember you.
Crying, singing, laughing.
Always there. Always kind.
My friend through all my problems."

======

        The sudden chill creeping up her body caused her to break free from her silent reverie. She sat up and was greeted by a breath-taking view as the subtle hues of pinks, blues and lilacs shifted across the late afternoon sky creating a gorgeous mosaic.

        Finally tearing her gaze away from the sky, Miss Parker looked around to find herself alone. The coconut branch the children had used to play beach cricket lay discarded to her right.

        She made no move to leave. A story she had read as a child ran through her mind. She couldn't remember it all, but the part she did remember told of why the sea was salty. According to the story, the world was created by a group of gods and goddesses who lived in a sky kingdom by the name of Ciel. Different parts of the creation were to be done by different gods and goddesses. One was to deal with the formation of the earth, another with the water masses, another with plants, another with animals, another with light and darkness and another with people.

        The one in charge of the water masses was called Hiedro. He favoured one of his servants dearly and gave her the name Joie. Joie was also a very curious person and looked through the holes in the sky to see how the new world was being created. One day, she peered through a hole and leaned over too much. She fell, never to be found again. Hiedro had seen when she fell, but had no power to save her. The power of life, death and time belonged to another. There was no way that he would have helped save Joie for him -- after all, she was just a servant.

        Hiedro had rushed to the hole. He leaned over and wept. He stayed in that position for several days, none of the other gods and goddesses daring to go near him. His salty tears splashed onto the earth, filling the oceans.

        Miss Parker's eyes welled with tears. She too had lost someone very dear to her -- many 'someones' in fact. The latest in the long list was Jarod. Away from the eyes of the world, she finally allowed herself to grieve properly for him. Her tears fell into the shallow waves still lapping against her, mixing forever with the brine of the sea. And for a fleeting moment she wondered if she hadn't cried enough in her lifetime to fill a lake.

======

        They hadn't seen her for two weeks. All they received was a postcard with Miss Parker written on it. There was no other message. At least they knew she was in Antigua and was still alive.

        They all gathered together that evening in the den, just talking and playing games. It had become a ritual for them, and they each wondered how they had ever lived without that small constant.

        Margaret broke away from the game of Monopoly to answer the doorbell. She opened the door, and gasped in surprise. The light from the foyer filtered onto the doorstep. Standing there, dressed in a lilac silk blouse and black mini-skirt was Miss Parker, a tan leather coat draped around her shoulders. Some things never changed.

        Margaret moved to grab Miss Parker in a crushing hug before tugging her into the house. Margaret shouted to the others. "Guess who's here!"

        Ethan was the first to come out of the den. "Miss Parker!" Her half-brother ran towards her and hugged her. In less than twenty seconds she was crushed by all the people that were more of a family to her than she would ever admit out loud to anyone.

        They ushered her into the den. The first question came from Angelo. "What have you been doing?"

        She smiled at him before softly replying, "Living."

THE END

======

And there it is ladies and gentlemen, in all its finished glory! See? It was sort of happy. And I know you're not buying what I just said, cause I'm not either. Anyway, I'd love to know what you think. Tell me anything -- good or bad. I can take it. Send my way at j_angelgadd_amt@hotmail.com or use the review button on the page.