Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

A/N -- I apologise for the mushy part in this fic. If you gag, I'm sorry. But it had to be in here in order for the plot-line to work. Don't get me wrong! I have absolutely nothing against romance. I just feel that I never do that part justice when I write it. You be the judge. I also apologise for the crappy formatting in part two. I had set it out perfectly, but, again ff.net screwed it up.

Additional A/N -- It is a very difficult thing to do -- trying to please everyone. That's why I don't. *grin* Therefore, I make no promises to gemini006007 and NLD-diva, although your encouraging remarks are much appreciated. The most I can hope for is that you would find reading the rest of this story as enjoyable as I found writing it. I'd also like to thank Claire Hilpert for her wonderful words. You'll never know just how much they meant to me.

 

Concrete Angel
Part 3

by DOTLP

 

"Those are the sounds of a heart breaking.
You can't hear it,
But the noise is killing me."
[Alan Jackson; The Sounds]

======

        "So tomorrow night's the night you're gonna see Miss Parker?" questioned Ethan. They had taken up residence at a run-down motel just ten miles from the meeting point Jarod had given Miss Parker.

        "Yes. I think I'm gonna ask her to come with us...if she's willing."

        "I think she will. She's already helped us out so much. She had tried to save Ryan. She helped save me from that sub-way train. She prevented Margaret and Em from becoming Centre bait and property of Lyle. I believe her heart's ready to accept being loved."

        "I hope so."

        "So, do you need me to come and provide some moral support tomorrow?"

        "Thanks for the offer, but no. I'd prefer to do this alone." Jarod saw a wicked smile form on his younger brother's face.

        "You just want to be alone with her, so you could..." he wagged his eyebrows suggestively. "Suit yourself." He dodged a pillow Jarod flung at his head.

======

        Miss Parker looked up at the concrete towers of Saint John's Cathedral which stood in the middle of seven acres of land. It really had stood the test of time. The arched oak doors were closed, but a faint, flickering glow from many lit candles spilled on to the ground, lending it an ethereal air. She watched in awe at the stained glass windows -- some showing Mary and baby Jesus, the rest chronicling the life and death of Christ.

        A particular one caught her attention. The expert placement of white glass mingled with yellow created a beautiful picture of an angel. The rays of yellow shining down on his brown hair and the small fragments of blue used for his eyes left her breathless.

        The loud rumble of thunder and flash of lightning brought her back to the reason she was there in the first place. 'Wonder Boy had to choose a night that promised a storm, didn't he?'

        The rustling of trees above her was a comforting sound in the deserted place as she made her way alongside the hedges of the small labyrinth to her left. Her hand strayed to the small of her back where she felt the reassuring pressure of her Smith 'n Wesson nine millimetre through her calf-length leather coat. Somehow, she couldn't shake the feeling that she was being followed. She just pegged it down to the deserted surroundings and an overactive imagination -- after all, she did work for The Centre.

        The distinctive sound of dry twigs snapping startled her and she spun around quickly, gun drawn, only to find that a startled raccoon dashed across the path. Relief flitted across her features as she replaced her gun. 'Get a grip Parker. Can't keep thinking that everything you do jeopardises your life.' She took a deep, steadying breath, then turned around to continue her search.

        Five minutes later she spotted a dark form leaning casually against a statue twice his size. A flash of lightning briefly illuminated the area and she saw his face break into a relieved smile after seeing her.

        In the few seconds it took to walk the forty yards to meet Jarod, she took note of the Statue degli Angeli. Two angels with outspread wings stood on either side of a sphere representing the earth. She was filled with admiration for the person who had given such an exquisite life to what was once a block of granite.

        "So, what was so important that you had to drag me all the way out here in the middle of the night, not to mention an impending downpour?" demanded Miss Parker when she was facing him. She noticed that his hair was trimmed since she had last seen him on Carthis. It was around the length he had when Sydney had hypnotised him to give her the message her mother had given him. It took every ounce of her willpower not to run her hand through his hair.

        He smiled at her expected outburst. His smile widened even more after he saw the angel pendant around her neck. "To thank you for saving Emily and my mom," the Pretender responded.

        "We've been through this already. Remember? You woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me."

        "I didn't thank you properly. Here." He took a chain from around his neck and placed it in her hand.

        Miss Parker looked at it and asked, "I don't particularly go for these types of chains, but what's the key for?"

        "It opens a safe in Dovertown National Bank. The number is on the key. I figured since you're actually helping me and going against The Centre's wishes that you don't want to be trapped in that cage any more than I do. I think you're finally ready to fly away from there. And in that box you'll find your wings. It's new identities for you, Mr. Broots, Debbie, Sydney and Angelo. You can all disappear from that place for the rest of your lives and they'll never be able to find you."

        She was speechless for a moment. And in that moment Jarod thought he had taken it a step too far by asking her to abandon everything she ever knew.

        She spoke softly, looking directly in his eyes. "Thank you." A soft smile played on her lips as she placed the key in her pocket. "There isn't a thing you haven't done yet is there?" she asked quizzically, her head tilting slightly to the left.

        In the ephemeral glow of the forked lightning he saw her eyes twinkling. It was a look he hadn't seen since she was a little girl and they used to run off together on forbidden adventures. He thought she never looked more beautiful than at that moment and he dared to do what he had only thought of doing since sitting near the warmth of Ocee's fireplace. In a low voice he answered her: "I can think of one thing I haven't done yet." He dipped his head slightly and gently placed his lips against hers.

        Miss Parker was shocked. After a moment, she responded. She had no idea how happy she made Jarod with that small action. As though drawn to him by the invisible, yet palpable, force of a magnet, she stepped closer to him until their bodies touched. She was finally able to run her hands through his soft hair as their kiss deepened. Jarod wrapped his arms about her waist, holding her securely against himself, fearful that if he let go he would wake up with just the memory of her lips against his and the faint scent of the Chanel perfume she wore.

        The clouds could no longer hold their tears back. This time, they were tears of joy. With a flash of lightning and a crack of thunder, the downpour began, soaking the two people in a matter of seconds.

        Miss Parker chuckled against his lips and broke their kiss for some air, her arms still wrapped around his neck.

        "What's so funny?" questioned Jarod, his hands possessively placed on her hips, his breathing just as ragged as hers.

        "This. Us. I stop pursuing you and in less than a month you're in my arms. Had I known this approach would have been so successful, I would've done this years ago and been outta The Centre."

        "It's a good thing for me you didn't or else I wouldn't have been able to walk after you hand-cuffed me. My knees are still wobbly. Do you know you still taste like cinnamon and apples?"

        She raised her eyebrows in question.

        He quickly rushed to explain. "Remember when you came to visit me and I was re-assembling the parts of the body and then you told me that girls mature faster than boys and then you..."

        She pressed her lips against his, silencing him.

        After they broke apart, he exclaimed, "Yup! That was what happened next. Although that kiss was never as passionate as this."

        She laughed -- for the first time in a long time she really laughed. That was the best sound Jarod had ever heard. He pulled her against his body enjoying the feel of her laughter against his chest and rested his chin on her head, inhaling deeply. He could never get tired of the way her hair smelled of chamomile and sunflowers. It smelled the same way when they had almost kissed in Ocee's shop.

        "You know, this is quite funny. We're both soaked to the bone and dripping, but I don't care. I don't remember ever feeling this happy."

        "Me either," he agreed. "Since we seem to be getting along a lot better now, would you consider coming with me and my family?"

        "Are you sure your family would accept me? I haven't exactly won any awards for Miss Congeniality."

        It was his turn to laugh. "After that stunt you pulled, they have only good things to say about you. Emily had wanted to kick your ass -- although I don't think she would've won -- and now she's ready to defend you tooth and nail. Judging by Emily's reaction, I'd say they all accept you. Dad, mom, Ethan, my clone...they have nothing but respect, admiration, love and loyalty to show you. It's quite difficult not to after you saved their lives."

        "In that case, I accept."

        Jarod let out a whoop of excitement and spun her around several times. After placing her back on the ground he re-captured her lips, kissing her deeply. "You have no idea how happy you've made me tonight," he said, resting his forehead against hers, breathing heavily.

        "Oh, I think I do," she retorted, grinning.

        Reluctantly, he let her go, already missing the warmth of her body pressed against his. "I'll let you go to take care of the others, then I'll meet you at the place I chose for you. You'll have to stick to the plans you'll find in the bank. Sydney won't mind taking care of Angelo." He kissed her cheek then turned around and started walking away. "I'll see you later," he threw over his shoulder.

        He had taken no more than two small steps when the unmistakable sound of three gunshots were heard over the fat drops of rain as they splattered on the ground and the loud grumbling of the thunder. He fell forward and hit the muddy ground, three holes in his back.

        She gasped sharply and a silent "No!" passed her lips as she quickly knelt by Jarod's side. Miss Parker pulled her gun out instinctively and looked towards the general direction of the shots she heard. She fired several rounds blindly into the woods she had walked out of. Self-preservation had taken over. She would be no use to Jarod if she too were wounded.

        In the few seconds the sky gave light, she saw Willie turn around and run away, a gun clutched in his hand. She took aim and fired, hearing only a click. Cursing, she threw her weapon on the ground. 'Of all the times for the clip to run dry!'

        Her attention turned to the fallen man. She rolled him over on his back, her hands coming away soaked with blood. His face was contorted in pain, his eyes glazed. A streak of blood ran down the left corner of his mouth.

        Miss Parker grasped his hand in one of hers and used her free hand to stroke his face. "Don't you dare die on me!" she commanded in a forceful, but pained tone.

        He tried to speak. She leaned her face close to his lips to hear. "Miss Parker...please live for me...for us."

        "What the hell are you saying? You're gonna get out of this scrape just like all the other scrapes you've been in," she told him decidedly. "Who else is gonna be the pain in my ass?"

        "Promise me," he feebly pleaded.

        "Fine...I promise. But you're gonna live," she said, her voice cracking. "Why the hell didn't I bring my cell?" She started searching Jarod for a phone, but his hand squeezed hers softly, stopping her from completing her task.

        "Don't have it."

        "Great!" she ranted in frustration and hopelessness, her eyes welling with tears.

        "I love you." The pressure Miss Parker had felt on her hand was gone after he spoke his last words.

        Miss Parker wordlessly closed his eyes and placed a gentle kiss on each eyelid. Silent tears mixed with the drops of rain running down her face. She clutched his shoulders, face pressed closely to his, and sobbed. The wind whipped the rain all around the two bodies huddled on the ground, as though the loss of her new-found love didn't sting enough.

        Ten miles away, her half-brother bolted upright in his bed, with no other thought than something was terribly wrong with his sister. It was one of the strongest promptings he had ever received; one of the times his mother's voice was the loudest among all the others; one of the times he had ever dreaded finding out exactly what was wrong...especially where it concerned Miss Parker.

        He rushed out of the room and made his way to Saint John's Cathedral in less than fifteen minutes, heedless of the speed limit. Ethan hopped out of the vehicle and ran quickly. He didn't know exactly where he was going, but he knew he was drawn by the pain he felt from his sister. Racing down the same path his sister had travelled, he stepped out of the woods, dripping, his clothing sticking to his body.

        A flash brightened the area and he spotted a huddled mass near what he assumed was the Statue degli Angeli. Sprinting the last few yards, he knelt down beside the figure. Horror crept onto his face when he saw his half-sister slumped over Jarod, her shoulders shaking violently.

        His throat tightened with tears and he laid a comforting hand on Miss Parker. She looked up at him and through the tears said, "Those bastards killed him."

        He pulled her off of Jarod and hugged her tightly. She gratefully fell into his comforting embrace and the two shared each other's pain.

        After several minutes Ethan said in a shaky voice, "We need to get him out of here and we need to get you dry."

        Miss Parker nodded mutely and with some difficulty the two carried Jarod's body with them to the jeep Ethan had used to get there. They placed Jarod in the back of the four-wheel drive vehicle.

        Ethan opened the door to the back seat and rummaged around in the bag Jarod had left inside. He called Miss Parker over and ushered her into the jeep. "Take this," he stated, handing her a white shirt. "You can change into something dry before you get pneumonia. Here's a towel. I'll wait outside."

        Not forgetting to be a gentleman, he turned his back and allowed her some privacy. 'Those sons-of-bitches are going to pay! They don't think they've done enough evil. They had to kill the only brother I got the chance to know. And then they hurt Miss Parker. She's been hurt her whole life. The moment she finds some peace, they shatter it.' The rapping on the window broke his thoughts and he turned around. Miss Parker motioned for him to come inside and change too.

        She hopped over to the front seat and let Ethan change at the back. After they were both dry, Ethan climbed over to the driver's seat. He picked up the cell phone he had left on the dashboard.

        "Who are you calling?" she asked in a raspy voice.

        "A friend of mine. He works in the morgue and owes me a favour." He saw her nod once. Taking that as her consent, he dialed the number and waited for the man to pick up. "Yes, Chuck. It's Ethan. I need a favour. Could you keep a body there without anyone asking questions? Good. I'll be there in half an hour. Do you have some clothes for women? Get whatever you have there. And Chuck? Thanks."

        Ethan disconnected the call. "Well, now we have a place to keep him."

        "Good," she answered in a dejected tone.

        Ethan started the car and they drove along in silence. He glanced at her and saw tears rolling down her cheeks. He also saw her face set with determination. It seemed as if she had a plan in mind. Whatever it was, he knew he would be behind her one hundred per cent.

        Half an hour later they pulled into Chuck's Funeral Home. The rain had eased a bit. Standing in front the door was a short middle-aged man holding an umbrella. He rushed out to meet Ethan and told him to drive to the back of the Home where they would be able to take the body into the morgue unseen and to park in the garage.

        Ethan quickly pulled into the garage and got out, happy to not be in the rain. A moment later Chuck came bustling out of the door. He gave Chuck a grateful smile and introduced him to Miss Parker.

        "Pleased to meet you," said Chuck. He took in Miss Parker's disheveled form in the jeep. "I believe you were the one Ethan had asked me to find some women's clothing for. Just go through that door and you'll see some lying on a chair. The bathroom is two doors down from that chair."

        Miss Parker opened the door and placed her bare feet on the cold dusty concrete of the garage. Chuck watched transfixed as she moved gracefully despite the attire she wore. The white shirt was too big for her and her shoulder peeked through the neck hole, exposing a black bra strap. The shirt stopped mid-way of her thighs, no higher than when she wore one of her skirts.

        "Thank you," she mumbled before disappearing inside.

        "So that's the Miss Parker you and Jarod spoke so highly of. Can see why Jarod was absolutely starry-eyed when he spoke of her." Chuck wolf whistled. "She's beautiful and has some gorgeous legs too!"

        "Hey, that's my sister. Be careful."

        "Okay, okay. I was just making an observation. I'm a happily married man!" He laughed it off, holding his hands defensively in front of him. Sobering, he asked, "Where's the body?"

        "In the back." Ethan walked to the back of the jeep and pulled open the door.

        Chuck sidled up to him and gasped. "That's Jarod," he whispered.

        "Yeah. Remember the place we were telling you about less than five days ago? They did this. I just need you to keep him for a few days."

        "Anything for you two. He was only here a few days, but it felt as if he was my brother. The way he helped my family find our son...I'm sorry it had to end this way."

        "So am I. He and Miss Parker finally found some happiness in each other...and then this happened."

        Chuck sighed deeply. "We'd better get him in there." The two men took him inside and placed him in a stainless-steel freezer. The task took all of seven minutes. They made their way back to the garage to shut the doors of the jeep, both lost in their own thoughts.

        Chuck shattered the silence. "So what are you going to do now?"

        "To be honest, I'm not certain what we're going to do." Ethan ran a hand through his damp hair.

        "Well, I hope those people pay for what they did to Jarod."

        "Oh, they will," stated Miss Parker. She walked towards the two men re-dressed. She had found a simple form-fitting button-down white shirt and black hip-huggers. How she managed to make such a simple outfit seem like her patented designer clothing was beyond Ethan's comprehension. Her Ice Queen mask was firmly back in place as was her hair. She stalked over to the jeep and opened the door to the back seat. Pulling out her black shoes, she placed them on. She was now a full head taller than her half-brother.

        "The clothes fit perfectly Chuck. How did you manage to get such a vast selection of women's clothing?"

        He blushed. "Well, considering the male to female ratio in my family is two to four...they sometimes visit here and change, and then leave some of their stuff behind. It all has to do with here being closer to school and the mall than from our home," he finished with a shrug.

        She smirked. "We'll come back for Jarod later."

        "Not a problem," said Chuck.

        "Thanks again Chuck."

        "Don't mention it Ethan. It's the least I could do." Chuck's eyes turned to steel. "Make sure they pay."

        "They'll wish they never heard of me," growled Miss Parker. "Ethan, let's go. I'm driving."

        Ethan threw the keys to her and then took the passenger seat without question. Miss Parker started the jeep and they pulled out of the garage and were on the road in no time, rain still beating mercilessly against the windshield.

        And in the early hours of the morning, Miss Parker revealed her plan to Ethan. He just smiled wickedly.

======

How are you liking it so far? Or hating it, depending on your point of view -- please don't hate me 'cause I killed Jarod. I never said that he would bring The Centre down -- only that he would get those he cared for out of it. I already warned it was gonna be angsty. Let me know your views at j_angelgadd_amt@hotmail.com or leave a review by hitting that little button that says 'Go'.