Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

See Part 1 for disclaimer.


Brand New Year, Part 14
By Ginger


Flinging the door open, Miranda took her visitor’s head in her hands and demanded, “Am I dreaming? Are you real?”

“Yes, big sister, I’m real,” Ethan replied with a smile before pulling her into a hug.

“I was worried,” she whispered. “When you disappeared, I thought...”

Pulling back he replied sheepishly, “I know, and I’m sorry, but I knew you would be safer if I left. I... I tried to leave a note but it was so... difficult. If I stayed to finish it, I wouldn’t have been able to leave.”

Nodding she squeezed his shoulder then moved around him to close the front door. Gazing lovingly at her, a wry smile appeared on his lips.

“You’ve changed, Miranda.”

“Have I?” she replied with an unconscious smile. Of course he’d know to address her by her first name.

“Well, your wardrobe definitely has,” he observed, quirking an eyebrow.

Glancing down at her attire, or rather lack thereof, she muttered, “Oh.”

Placing one hand modestly over the opening of Jarod’s shirt and the other where the hem hit her thigh, she guiltily met his eyes. As if on cue, a male voice boomed,

“Ethan!”

Turning in unison, Miranda’s eyes widened while her brother’s expression grew even more amused. A grinning Jarod approached with arms outstretched until Ethan put a hand out to stop him, advising,

“Whoa... whoa... whoa! I’m all for a hug, big brother, but would you mind putting on pants first?”

* * * *

“That’s right,” Ethan encouraged warmly as his nephew, sitting on his lap and pointing to illustrations in a book spread open before them on the kitchen table, recited the word for each item first in English then in Spanish. Ethan had no idea whether or not the Spanish was correct but had every confidence in Michael’s abilities. The child was special, more special than even his parents realized.

Ethan glanced up to find his sister shooting his brother yet another poisonous glare as they worked together in silence preparing dinner. Jarod’s response was a smirk. He was apparently not ashamed in the least to have been caught in flagrante delecto even if Miranda had been mortified.

Sighing softly, Ethan redirected his attention to his nephew. Prior to his arrival he had wondered, with some trepidation, how the two of them were managing to cooperate under such stressful and emotionally-charged circumstances. Turns out there had been no cause for worry. They were obviously “cooperating” just fine. Not that it was by any means a shock: he had sensed a powerful connection between them the moment he’d entered their lives, surmising that it had existed for a long time. And it wasn’t something one needed an “inner sense” to pick up on; it was in their eyes for anyone to see, well, anyone who wanted to. But his cautious attempt to broach the subject after their close call in D.C., which resulted in Jarod’s missing the point entirely, had left him feeling less than optimistic that they would ever see what was right in front of them.

That was then. Now the happiness positively radiated off his big brother; the man was ecstatically, euphorically in love. At the same time there was a new air of calm and peace about him. It was as though he had decided long ago that he belonged to Miranda and was finally allowed to fulfill his destiny. As far as Jarod was concerned, this was the way things were supposed to be.

What Ethan sensed from his sister was less ebullient, almost reticent, but just as intense. The reservoir he could see flowing within her, fed for so many years by memories alone until it was barely a trickle, now ran deep and swift and clear. It had always been her source of strength, made her a survivor, and now, well... Ethan knew one thing for sure: he would hate to be the person who tried to come between Miranda and her men.

Again he looked up from Michael’s book, this time to see Jarod and Miranda reaching for the same dishtowel, their hands colliding on the kitchen counter across which they faced one another. Jarod seized the opportunity to close his hand over hers and looked at her with a combination of adoration and mischief that forced a grudging smile from Miranda. But it was what passed between their eyes that said it all. He grinned and let go of her hand, she grabbed the towel and each returned to their respective tasks.

Since Ethan’s arrival, the voices had been relatively quiet, and when they did speak it was to whisper sweet words like mother, child, happy and love, which certainly made a nice change from the usual fare. The purpose of his visit aside, he was glad to be here. It made him feel warm inside, just as his mother promised it would.

* * * *

"Our little man is finally asleep," Miranda announced as she strode into the bedroom. "And Ethan insists he's comfortable on the porch," she added, peeling off her robe to reveal a short, sky blue nightie.

Jarod grinned, pulled back the sheet for her and replied, "I'm glad he found us. I missed him. Besides, his being here makes you happy."

"Are you really?" she asked with playful skepticism as she slipped in bed beside him. "With company around the house, you won't be able to jump me every 30 seconds."

Tucking the sheet around her, his arm remained draped across her torso as he buried his face in the hollow of her neck, inhaled a few times, and blinked up at her adoringly to reply, "I'll just have to be more resourceful. Now that I can have you whenever I want, I won't let anything, or anyone, stop me."

"Correction, monkeyboy: You can have me whenever *I* want."

The warmth in her eyes belied the coolness of her tone. Lifting his head to hover over hers, Jarod remarked with a smirk, "Then it's amazing how often we're in full agreement."

He lowered his head to the pillow and pressed his face into her hair. Miranda sighed contentedly. Sexy banter aside, she could tell he was in one of his cuddly moods, which was just as well. Any more action and she'd be walking like a cowboy. Tracing the muscles of his bare shoulder with her fingertips, she observed softly,

"It was as if... Michael already knew Ethan."

"He went right to him," he concurred sleepily, adding, "Just like he had with me."

"He's... special," she stated with a hint of wariness.

"He's ours," Jarod countered then sat up to switch off the bedside lamp. Pulling her back into his arms, he pressed a tender kiss to her temple and insisted, "Now close those beautiful eyes of yours."

* * * *

"Knock-knock!" Jarod called into the large tent serving as the study team's field office.

"Come in, Jarod!" a voice called from inside.

Pushing aside the flap Jarod ducked his head and stepped inside to be greeted with the usual warmth and enthusiasm by Luis who, with his wife Eleonora, led the study team.

"¡Hola, Miguel!" Luis boomed as he bolted from his chair. Moving quickly around the desk, he continued, "¿Qué pasa? ¿Cómo estás, mi hijo?"

Eleonora looked up from a map of the Park spread out before her and smiled as her husband reached for the bundle on Jarod's back demanding, "Let me see this fine boy!"

Michael went willingly into his arms as he lifted the child out of the carrier. Watching their tender interaction, Jarod smiled. Luis and Eleonora had two children of their own - a boy and a girl - but they were both in school and had to stay behind in San José with their paternal grandparents. Luis and Eleonora were up there almost every weekend, and the children came down during school holidays, but Jarod knew the separation was tough on the family.

"You are looking very happy this morning, Jarod," Eleonora observed as she came up behind her husband, slipped one arm around him and rested her chin on his shoulder. Michael touched her cheek and she smiled then took his chubby hand in hers and kissed it.

"Of course he looks happy. He has a beautiful son... and his son's beautiful mother. A man is at his best when he is in love. Am I right, Jarod?"

His face warming, Jarod's reply was a diffident smile.

"Of course, he is also at his worst," Luis tacked on with a shrug.

Rolling her eyes and stepping out from behind him, his wife inquired, "And how is Miranda?"

"Fine, Ele, thanks," Jarod answered. "Speaking of which, our... her brother is visiting and she asked me to invite you two over for dinner. Does tomorrow work for you?"

"Well, Generalissima?" Luis inquired quirking an eyebrow.

"Tomorrow will be fine," Eleonora stated, shooting her husband a look then adding with a smile, "Gracias."

"De nada," Jarod replied amusedly then added, "I guess we're the first to arrive. What's on the agenda for today's meeting?"

"The agenda? Whatever Señor Miguel says is on the agenda! He is the boss, el jefe, el capitán!" Luis exclaimed as he tickled the giggling child.

* * * *

After watching Ethan stare blankly into the distance for several minutes, Miranda emitted a weary sigh and stepped onto the porch. She sat down beside him on the couch; he turned to her and smiled.

The days since his arrival had been busy. Twice he had accompanied Jarod to the Park, once with Michael in tow and once without, and the day before he'd stayed behind to join her and Michael for a trip into town. Despite all the activity, Ethan would occasionally drift like this, and she could sense something weighing on him... heavily. She had no doubt that Jarod sensed it too, although they hadn't discussed it.

"Well," she began with a genial pat to his knee. "It's the first time since you got here that we've had some time to ourselves. Don't you think it's about time?"

"About time?" Ethan repeated distractedly. His gaze had already settled back to a place beyond her field of vision.

"To tell me why you're really here."

He turned to her again and, seeing the determination in his sister's eyes, frowned. Too bad, he thought to himself. He was enjoying himself and had rather hoped to buy another couple days of fun before things got complicated.

"Okay," Ethan replied wanly. "But first I want you to promise me that you'll remain calm."

* * * *

Michael had fallen dead asleep on the hike back from the Park, which was no surprise to his father since the boy had reverted somewhat to his old sleep habits in the excitement over his uncle's visit. In fact, the normally good-natured child had flat out refused to go down for a nap the day before and wouldn't let poor Ethan out of his sight, even following him to the bathroom and standing outside the door to wait for him. Smiling as he quietly entered the house, Jarod mused that his son had definitely inherited his mother's stubborness and persistence. Hoping to get the child into his crib for at least another hour of rest, he moved gingerly in the direction of the nursery.

Mission accomplished, Jarod followed the sound of soft voices and, rounding the corner to enter the kitchen, heard Miranda say,

"...And let me speak to him alone. You DO NOT want to be here when I tell him."

"Tell me what?" Jarod asked, the back of his neck tingling when he met her surprised, tear-stained eyes. Noting with rising anxiety the open bottle of Guaro and box of tissues, and that Ethan held both her hands in his across the table, he repeated more forcefully,

"TELL ME WHAT?"

# # # #