Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Song lyrics borrowed without permission from a funky little ditty titled, “Another Woman,” by Moby, from his CD “18” ©2002 Rave New World/V2 Records, Inc. While listening to it on the subway home one evening it inspired this trifle of fan fiction for which I will never earn a penny. This is all in fun, folks. No copyright infringement is intended.

The Friendship Cycle One: Another Woman

By Ginger

*You leave your home for days and days...*

A sultry female voice filled the air of the crowded nightclub as he gazed upon the sea of bodies tossing in time to the seductive beat that pulsed through everything and everyone in the room. Home, Jarod thought as he sipped his drink and waited for Zoe to return from the restroom. What a concept. Not that the situation hadn’t improved immensely over the past year. He had managed to reassemble most of his family: his father, Emily, and Jonathan, with whom he was still working out what the nature of their relationship should be. Was he his brother or his son? And there was Ethan, too.

Thinking of his younger half brother, Jarod smiled. Ethan’s existence had brought with it a thawing of sorts with Miss Parker. Over the last year since they’d discovered him, she had begun to cooperate with Jarod to keep their brother safe, while working out whatever it was Catherine had planned for the three of them. Somewhere along the way, it came to be understood that she was no longer sincerely trying to bring him back. It was never spoken, of course, which was just as well. If anyone in power ever found out, she wouldn’t be safe. He frowned at the thought.

His frown persisted as he contemplated Parker’s recent chilliness. It was nothing like the pre-Ethan days but she seemed to withdraw lately. She was suddenly all business after months of letting her guard down bit by bit, even reaching the point of playfully teasing him on occasion, like when they were children. If he had to trace her recent change in attitude to a specific event, then it would have to be…

* * * *

Zoe had been staying with Jarod’s family ever since his father rescued her from Lyle and Mr. Cox. They would be together whenever he visited the family, roughly one week per month between pretends, plus the occasional weekend getaway, just the two of them. That’s precisely what they were doing in Bar Harbor, Maine when Parker landed on their doorstep one morning. Jarod was frightened initially, wondering if she had returned to her old ways. She had never just shown up before; their personal communication always flowed through Angelo.

Turns out, Parker had a very legitimate reason to be there. Ethan had been having trouble controlling the voices again and succeeded in getting himself committed to a mental hospital in Michigan. He didn’t have any identification on him so the hospital had put out the standard public queries to try to locate family members. The Centre had gotten wind of this, of course, and was about to send a team to “collect” him. Parker needed to act fast but she also realized that she needed Jarod because it would have to be him witnesses reported seeing with Ethan, not her.

His initial fear having subsided, Jarod felt a confusing and unpleasant mixture of emotions: anxiety, anger, embarrassment, and even a little shame. Having no idea what prompted such feelings, or even at whom to direct them, he quickly suppressed them and directed his attention to more pressing matters. He set about packing up as he absently muttered apologies to Zoe, promising that he’d return to resume their vacation as soon as Ethan was safe.

Parker and Zoe had not met previously, although they were aware of each other’s existence. He and Parker generally didn’t discuss his personal life, unless it related directly to Ethan, but he knew she was aware he was involved with someone. And, of course, she knew all about the incident with Lyle and Cox. Zoe, on the other hand, was acutely aware of Parker and would demonstrate the strangest behavior whenever her name came up, or when he’d get off the phone with her. But, even within that context, Zoe’s behavior that day was most peculiar.

Normally, Zoe was most understanding about his desire to be there for the family he had only recently reassembled but, this time, she was not. In fact, she was downright unreasonable, forcing him to end their heated exchange by stating that he simply didn’t have time to argue the point and reiterating his promise that, as soon as he and Parker had secured Ethan’s safety, she’d have him all to herself again. And yet, despite the fact that he’d never broken a promise to her, as he bounded down the steps of their rented cottage, Zoe called out angrily,

“For some reason, I have trouble believing that, Jarod!”

Climbing into the passenger seat of Parker’s rented sedan, he commented that the Centre was always threatening his relationships, first with his family and now with his best friend. He thought he detected the tiniest hint of a wince on her part, which puzzled him, if only momentarily. He didn’t bother to ponder it, choosing instead to stare out the passenger window and consider his strange choice of words. He’d never referred to Zoe that way before, introducing her to everyone as his “girlfriend,” feeling a certain pride in having finally acquired one. But, for some reason, that phrase got stuck in his throat and out came “best friend” instead… strange.

Once on the ground in Detroit, he and Parker quickly located a secure location where they could safely assess Ethan’s condition and get him into a sound enough state to travel. While she prepared for his arrival, Jarod made quick work of extracting him from the mental health facility. Within a few short hours of her arrival on his doorstep their younger brother was safely in their care, further reinforcing what had already become clear over the previous months. They made a good team.

Parker was spectacular with Ethan, who was in pretty rough shape between the voices and the effects of the medication he’d been placed on immediately after his commitment. He was agitated and confused but she was able to calm him quickly. Within two hours of his return, she managed to get him to eat some soup and coax him to sleep with is head resting on her lap. Watching over her younger brother and stroking his hair, she addressed Jarod in a calm, quiet voice,

“If I may be presumptuous, here’s a little free advice, Jarod. If this… if she… is something you truly want, then I think it’s time you consider disappearing for good. You could still have access to information inside the Centre via the ‘normal’ channels and continue to search for your mother. But we both know you could drop off the face of the earth if you wanted to. Because, take it from someone who learned the hard way, they will not let you have this.”

Stunned into speechlessness, he didn’t respond at the time and never got another opportunity. For the remaining twelve hours he was in her company, Parker was largely silent and gave the distinct impression that she strongly preferred that he be so too. When they parted company – she alone and he with Ethan, whom he would deliver to the cabin his family was currently occupying in the Canadian Rockies – Parker issued a courteous, but not warm, thank you.

On the flight up to Canada, Jarod advised Ethan that the whole mess could’ve been avoided had the troubled young man chosen to remain with the family right along, to which his brother replied that he did have “other family in case you’ve forgotten,” tacking on under his breath but loud enough for Jarod to hear,

“Well… I guess you probably have.”

* * * *

What on earth had Ethan meant by that? What had gotten into everybody recently? And where the heck was Zoe? She’d already been gone for ten minutes. How long, he wondered feeling vaguely exasperated, does it take to…

Something caught his eye; his heart raced. The crowd on the dance floor parted, giving Jarod a glimpse into the mass of sweaty, undulating bodies. He swallowed hard, setting his drink down harshly on the bar behind him, his eyes never leaving the dance floor.

What the hell was *she* doing in New York? He and Zoe were there because Zoe had never been before and it was their first getaway since… Bar Harbor. This *wasn’t* a coincidence, he thought angrily; New York was a *very* big town. Besides, when it came to him and Parker, there was no such thing, except that…

She didn’t appear to be here on business.

She was dancing. My, oh my, she was dancing. Parker’s eyes were closed as she moved in perfect time to the music, flowing so seamlessly, effortlessly that she appeared liquid, as though she weren’t comprised of solid matter. But she was solid, alright, as evidenced by the look of bliss on the face of the young man behind her, against whose body she was grinding rhythmically. One of his hands rested on her hip, the other on the silk of her camisole – her button-down shirt was completely buttoned down – just beneath her breasts… but only *just.*

For her part, Parker appeared to be off in her own little world, grooving to the music. She still hadn’t opened her eyes, which was strange. He knew she had the instincts to feel when she was being watched. Jarod had been out dancing with Zoe a few times and had seen complete strangers share such intimacy on the dance floor. Perhaps she didn’t even know the bold young man; maybe he was just a warm body to move against... nothing wrong with that… on the *dance floor* anyway.

Vaguely irritated by that thought, Jarod found himself stepping into the path that had been cleared, which seemed to close around him as he moved into the humid mass of people. He worked his way slowly toward her, finding the press of young, warm, strange bodies to be more than a little disconcerting, but not altogether unpleasant.

Reaching her, he stood dumbly for a moment then decided to speak when it occurred to him that it was virtually impossible to compete with the booming sound system. Parker still hadn’t opened her eyes, her face a mask of serenity as she continued to sway to the rhythm. Intrigued he leaned in closer, his eyes roving across her glistening skin, until he could smell her. It was an intriguing combination of her perfume, which was a scent he knew quite well, and one with which he was rather less familiar, her sweat. Jarod instinctively flared his nostrils to drink in the alluring aroma.

When had he started moving to the music, he wondered, and when had he closed his eyes? His first contact with her body was the brushing of knees as each rocked to and fro to the irresistible beat. Normally, he was a bit self-conscious dancing but this seemed so easy, with his eyes closed and everything pulsing around him. One, or perhaps both, of them were propelled forward so that a good deal more than their knees were now touching… ever so slightly… enticingly.

Did she know it was him? She must know, he thought as he gingerly claimed her hip, more than prepared to slap the other man’s hand away if necessary. Only it wasn’t; the moment he made contact, he sensed his rival back off. Apparently there was some sort of etiquette at work here.

Not that he gave that or anything else much thought when he felt her hand slide onto his body, just above the waistband of his jeans. It prompted the same tingly sensation he’d experienced the few other times she’d touched him since their détente had begun – the odd genial pat on the shoulder or amiable squeeze of the elbow. He’d always known he was physically attracted to Parker, considering it a completely predictable and wholly understandable response to her immense physical appeal. But that didn’t mean…

Jarod lost his train of thought as he felt her leg slip between his, bringing their bodies into full contact. A small moan escaped his lips as he felt her silk clad breasts brush roughly against his chest, her pelvis rocking into his in that savage, inexorable rhythm.

*You leave your home for days and days…*

That satiny, seductive voice crooned on. The song showed no signs of drawing to a conclusion as she repeated the line again…

*You leave your home for days and days…*

Parker suddenly spun in his arms, pushing back hard and eliciting a surprised grunt from him.

*You leave your home for days and days…*

She spun again, so quickly he could barely keep hold of her.

*You leave your home for days and days…*

And again, only this time he grabbed her forcefully, pulling her tightly to him and molding her body to his. And so they rocked and swayed, swayed and rocked with Jarod holding Parker from behind as her body ground relentlessly into his. Reveling in the glorious friction, he now fully understood the young man’s look of bliss. It was now his hand that rested on the damp silk of her camisole, just beneath her breasts… but only just.

*And I know…*

*Said I know…*

The other hand had found its way to her deliciously damp, bare belly, compliments of her low rise slacks. Detecting the small metal object in her belly button, he smiled as his cheek rested against her hair, which smelled fabulous, but then, it always did. When he felt her reach back to caress his sweat slicked neck and pull him into even closer contact, he became certain he was dreaming the whole thing. It couldn’t possibly be real because if it was, then…

*You got another woman somewhere…*

Perhaps it would never end, he mused of the seductive song that was quickly becoming his all-time favorite musical composition. Parker turned around to face him once more, this time pressing her forehead to his. Again, her leg slipped between his and he swallowed hard at the sensation of the searing heat of her core against his thigh. And so they continued to move, slick bodies sliding against one another and building the tension. Like tectonic plates on the earth’s crust, Jarod thought, coming together at fault lines… causing earthquakes.

*You got another woman somewhere…*

It felt like nothing else in the world existed except her body, which acted as the metronome setting the tempo for the music, for him, for everything. When he groaned at the sensation of her rock hard nipples grazing his chest, his lips brushed hers. Their noses bumped. He could feel her long eyelashes against his cheek. She reached up briefly to tenderly stroke a thumb over his birthmark. He was in heaven.

*You got another woman somewhere…*

Quite abruptly, Parker stepped out of his arms; he sensed her back away. Jarod opened his eyes to find her eyeing him warily. She glanced down at his groin and, following her gaze, he realized he was in no condition to be out on a dance floor, or anywhere else in public. Then, with a small, sardonic smile, she shook her head at him, just as the sultry voice repeated, for the very last time…

*You got another woman somewhere…*

And, without a single word, she turned and strode determinedly away from him, the sea of bodies parting for her as it had for him earlier. He took a step forward to follow and was about to call out when the path closed quickly behind her. Standing on his toes, he craned his neck in an attempt to locate her but couldn’t. He frowned, his shoulders slumping.

He had wanted to tell her that he got it, that he understood. He never should have said it because it wasn’t true. Hell, he hadn’t even known why he’d said it, well, until a few moments ago. But that didn’t make it any less inaccurate because...

He had only ever had one “best friend” in his life and that was Miss Parker.

Jarod turned around slowly and waded out of the tide on the dance floor, quickly claiming a fortuitously available seat at a booth near the bar to conceal his physiological dilemma. His present mood was making quick work of it, though, and soon there would be nothing to conceal. As he took his seat, he looked up to see Zoe approaching. If she had seen any of what transpired on the dance floor, then he knew the night would be shot.

“Man, you should have seen the line for the ladies room,” she remarked cheerily as she took the seat across from him. “I swear it went on for miles.”

“They always seem to for ladies rooms, especially in bars,” he replied evenly.

“So, what were you up to for the last 20 minutes? Dancing with the kiddies, were you?” she inquired as she reached across the table to wipe the sweat from his brow.

“A little… you mind?”

“Nah,” she replied with a shrug. “Not as long as I’m the one who gets to take you home.”

Zoe commenced chattering away about the nice people she’d met in line for the john. His stomach soured. She obviously hadn’t seen anything and had no idea that Parker had been there. And, as sure as he was sitting there, Jarod knew he would never tell her.

# # # #