Turn Around by Chris
Summary: Jarod and Parker turn their back on the Centre and try to survive with the Sweepers on their heels...
Categories: Indefinite Timeline Characters: All the characters
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 30630 Read: 75845 Published: 04/05/05 Updated: 24/02/07

1. Part 1 by Chris

2. Chapter 2 by Chris

3. Chapter 3 by Chris

4. Chapter 4 by Chris

5. Chapter 5 by Chris

6. Chapter 6 by Chris

7. Chapter 7 by Chris

8. Chapter 8 by Chris

9. Chapter 9 by Chris

10. Chapter 10 by Chris

11. Chapter 11 by Chris

12. Chapter 12 by Chris

13. Chapter 13 by Chris

14. Chapter 14 by Chris

15. Chapter 15 by Chris

16. Chapter 16 by Chris

17. Chapter 17 by Chris

18. Chapter 18 by Chris

Part 1 by Chris
Disclaimer: I do not own The Pretender and their characters but NBC does. I only dare to play my wicked little games with them. This is a piece of non-profit fanfiction and there are no copyright infringements intended.
I introduce SL-23 and the sea lab. They belong to my imagination and no one can take them from me!
The title refers to the song "Total eclipse of the heart" by Tina Turner. I used the text for my own purpose without the consent of the writer. No copyright infringement intended either!
PLEASE send feedback to kylaparker@hotmail.com. I don't care if it's good or bad just don't make me feel like a complete idiot..

Title: Turn around 1/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG-13
Spoilers: None
Keywords: MPJF


Turn around Part 1

Somewhere in Germany
12/28/1999, 11.26 am

Jarod couldn't believe it. Miss Parker was dead, killed in a plane crash. He had found the records in the Centre mainframe. No one had told him. He couldn't find Broots or Greene, nobody had answered when he had called. Had they been killed in the plane crash as well? The Centre mainframe didn't have any information about the two and he was sure he had searched the whole archives.
YOU HAVE MAIL! his computer told him.
'Jarod, need refuge.'
Nothing more, nothing less, no name, no sender. He was sure he had searched the Centre mainframe for this word, which had often helped him. He did it again, he entered the mainframe and entered the word 'refuge'. This time the computer responded. A file showed up and he downloaded it onto his computer. As fast as possible he left the mainframe because he had activated a warning signal. He opened the file but it was nothing but signs. He needed a decent decoder or it would take days to decipher the message. The phone rang.
"Ein R Gespräch aus Russland, möchten Sie es annehmen?" (An R call from Russia, do you accept?)
"Ja, bitte." ( Yes, please)
"Jarod, is it you?"
"Yes, it's me, who's there?"
"Parker, have you gotten refuge?"
"I'm on it. You are alive?"
"Meet me there as soon as possible."
She hung up before he could respond. Meet her where? What had happened? What could she possibly be doing in Russia? He activated his decoding program and it took nearly half an hour before the computer had found a matching decoding sequence. I took another hour before he could read the message. It was a file from the Centre archives about an experiment with pain causing medication. For Jarod it didn't make any sense. The last sentence simply said: 'I was there for information gathering and escaped from the Centre, I'm in Iwanovo. Rescue me.' She wanted him to rescue her? He was sure that it was a trap but what if it wasn't?
Half an hour later he was on his way to the airport, a new passport in his pocket, another one for Parker. He was glad that she hadn't been killed in that plane crash, but still couldn't sort out his feelings. Bad memories were nagging him. She had been trying to catch him so often, could someone like her change?
What if the old Parker had come back? The girl he once loved? The girl he had comforted when she was sad? The girl who had cried in his arms? How he wished that this would be come reality.

The plane was already waiting and he went to the passport control and then inside the plane. His new passport had passed its first test. He had a seat at the window and looked outside. He watched the busy movements at the airport, later on the clouds. They moved by his window and then they were under the plane and it was clear outside. Nothing but emptiness out there. His thoughts went back to Parker and what she had possibly planned. What if it was no plan? What if she simply needed his help? What if he suffered from persecution mania? No, stop thinking like that, he told himself and leaned back in his seat.
A stewardess brought him something to drink and he tried to relax. He had a 3 hour flight in front of him and he needed to be rested when he arrived in Russia. He took a dictionary out of his small case and began to read in it. His Russian wasn't the best and he had to catch up before the plane landed in Moscow.

Moscow / Russia
12/28/1999, 6.26 p.m.

It was dark outside and snowflakes were dancing in the air as the plane touched the ground. The controls were short because he had a Russian passport and shortly after he left the airport with his small silver case and a traveling bag. He went to the car rental and got a jeep. He had to travel east to reach the city of Iwanovo where he knew that Parker was. It was a drive of a bout 190 miles which would take him about two to three hours, another couple of hours to find Parker and then? Simply take her hand and drag her out of wherever she was?

Iwanovo / Russia
12/28/1999, 9.06 p.m.
He had found an encrypted map embedded into the file he had downloaded so he knew where he had to go. The town of Iwanovo wasn't hard to find but the place were Parker was supposed to wait for him was. He drove around the town searching for the right gas station. He had been there before but Parker hadn't. He got out of the car.
"Jarod?" HER voice!! He turned around and faced a tall woman with long blond curly hair. She was wearing a blue dress, her hair floating around her shoulders.
"PARKER??" he whispered, not believing his eyes. She nodded, took his hand and pulled him inside a small cabin next to the gas station.
"You got a passport for me?"
He nodded, still unable to utter a word, just staring at Parker's blond hair.
"We have to get away fast, they nearly caught me two days ago. Jarod, you have to change your clothes and- JAROD! Are you listening to me?"
"Uuh, what? Yes, I am. What did you do with your hair?"
"Stop thinking about my hair, just hope to get outa here alive."
He obeyed as if she had hypnotized him. He went out of the cabin, went to his car and fetched his traveling bag. He went back to the cabin and knocked at the door - in case she was busy with undressing. She opened the door and hastily dragged him inside.
"They're her. We've gotta get away as soon as possible. Give me the clothes you're wearing and change into something else. They're watching my house, I need to change my looks to get away with you."
He took off his clothes and she undressed herself. For a short moment, when both were standing there dressed in nothing but their underwear, they thought about something else than their escape but Parker took his clothes and got dressed again. She peered out of the window.
"They are from the Russian Secret Service. They want their papers back. You take these", she handed him a pile of papers, "and go to the car. Drive around the block a few times, maybe they're following you and I can get out of here unseen. I'll be waiting at the corner of the gas station. GO!"
Again he obeyed without asking. When he arrived at the gas station the third time, Parker was waiting for him. It was the "old" Parker. She looked cute in his clothes and her hair was back to its original color. She jumped into the car and they drove away. She sighed heavily and leaned back.
"Thank you, Jarod."
"Where's the snag?"
"What snag?"
"You'd never ask me to rescue you without something else in mind. What's wrong?"
"Jarod, I'm not working for the Centre anymore. I was killed in a plane crash, I do not exist. No Miss Parker anymore. Got it? You said you got a passport for me?"
"Don't think you like the name, but it's only for a short time 'till we're back. What 'ya planning to do?"
She looked at him and Jarod felt as if he could read her thoughts in her eyes. And suddenly he felt that the young girl he had once loved had returned. A smile played around her lips.
"Take me with you?" she whispered.
"You're not trying to fool me, are you?"
"You've become wary, Jarod. Not everyone's an enemy. I'm on your side now and I'm not planning to return to the Centre. So, will you take me with you?"
"I'll think about it", he said without looking at her again.
Chapter 2 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1
Turn Around by: Chris
Part 2/?

The Centre, Blue Cove/ De.
Same Time

"Broots, is it working? Has she found him?" Sydney asked.
"Don't know, I got no contact. She's not answering the phone. The radio set is not working over such a distance."
Sydney's fist hit the tabletop. Broots jumped at the sound. He looked worried and tried to smile when Sydney glanced at him. Both men were lacking sleep. Their search had begun three days ago and they hadn't slept since then. They heard a sound at the door and Broots closed the current window at his computer as fast as he could, pretending to work on a decryption sequence, which he actually had before they had started their search.

Iwanovo / Russia
12/28/1999, 9.42 p.m.

"We've gotta find a hotel or something like that. We both need sleep. I can't drive around like that much longer." Jarod said.
"Why don't you let me drive and you try to relax?" Parker said.
"No, you're not driving. We'll get two rooms at the next hotel and tomorrow I'll take you back to the US."
"Uuh, Jarod, are you kidding? I'm not going back to America. Why can't I stay with you?"
"Parker, I am not sure if I can trust you, and the way you're insisting on staying with me makes me even more suspicious. I'll think about it tonight, OK?"
She stared out of the window into the dark night. Why couldn't he trust her? The whole plan was in danger. She had to stay with him, no matter what he said about it. She hoped that Sydney and Broots were alright and that nobody had discovered their plan.

Hotel in Moscow /Russia
12/28/1999, 10.09 p.m.

The hotel was overbooked, the only chance for sleep was a room together. Jarod didn't like the notion of the two of them sharing one room but Parker just smiled. She took the key, grabbed Jarod's bag and walked up the stairs. Jarod sighed and followed her.
She tossed the bag onto a chair and went to the bathroom. Jarod heard the running water of the shower and suddenly a sharp scream, followed by a loud thud. He flanged the door open and saw Parker standing with her back towards him, holding something in her hand. She opened the window and tossed it outside.
"What was THAT?" Jarod asked.
"A rat. Now GET OUT!" she barked at him - only then did Jarod realize that she was naked. He blushed and backed out, a smile playing around his lips.
He was sitting at the table with his laptop when she came out of the bathroom. She had a towel wrapped around her body, her hair still wet.
"Sorry, Jarod, I didn't mean to be rude."
"It's alright. Look what I've found."
She went around the table to look at the screen. It was a mail addressed to "Miss Parker".
"How did you get MY mail?"
"I simply wanted to know if I could trust you. And now I know that I shouldn't. You're working with Broots and Syd and it IS a trap, right? What's this place you need me to go?"
"Please, let me explain it to you. It's different than you think", she pleaded.
"So?" He jumped up and pulled her arms behind her back.
"What are you really up to?" he asked, his voice dangerously low.
"We want to save you - and I want to save my own life as well."
The towel which she had wrapped around her body slowly began to slide down. She tried to free one arm from Jarod's grip to hold it but Jarod thought that she only tried to flee and tightened his grip.
Chapter 3 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1
Turn Around by: Chris
Part 3/?


The towel slipped to the ground. Parker winced and Jarod let go of her arms. She bend down and picked it up, her bare skin shining in the light. She hastily wrapped the towel around herself. Jarod said nothing, just watched her, silently smiling. Her body was perfect -
"JAROD!"
"Uuh, what?"
"I said, what are you thinking about?"
"You", he bluntly said. She grinned and took a step forward. She was standing right in front of him, looking up. The fact that she was barefooted made her smaller than usual. She was silent, just stared into his eyes.
"I wasn't thinking about you in this way", he said and took a step back.
"Well, maybe you should start to think that way", she said and took another step towards him. She put her hand on his breast.
"Please Jarod, trust me", she whispered.
"I want to, but something inside me tells me not to."
She took his hand and pulled him towards the bed.
"Sit down and let me tell you the whole story."
She slipped under the sheets, pulling them up to her chin.
"Parker, what are you doing there?"
"Nothing, just trying to make myself comfortable. Sit down, please."
He sighed and sat down, facing her.
"Relax, it's going to take a while. It all started in Blue Cove this summer:


The Centre, Blue Cove/ De.
08/08/1999

Parker strode into the lab to find Sydney and Broots talking to Raines. Sydney saw her coming and looked back to Raines. She had understood his silent gesture and stayed in the background trying not to attract attention. She stood back in the shadow, eavesdropping. Raines was talking about Jarod, he was planning to set a trap to catch him.
Raines was finished and before he turned around she closed the door so everyone heard her coming. Raines walked by, not looking at her, not saying a word. She rolled her eyes and went over to Sydney and the techie.
"What the hell did he want from you?" she asked.
"He's planning to catch Jarod on his own, using him and another clone for some terrible experiments."
"What do you mean - another clone?"
"There are two Jarod clones, one created for Raines' Pretender project, the other for other purposes."
"Why didn't we find both clones?"
"The second one was created later and wasn't grown up when we went in there. And we didn't search for another clone, did we?"
Parker was speechless.
"And he told you all these things?"
"Actually not, but Broots has found something in the computer mainframe earlier this day and somehow Raines has found out. He was furious and so he decided to tell us a part of the truth."
"Sydney, Miss Parker, I found something."
They literally ran towards Broots' desk. He looked troubled.
"It's encrypted, but the decryption program is running. It says something about a clone project in Alaska."
"We've gotta find them both before Raines can get started.
"First we search for Jarod and then we search together for the clone", Parker replied. Sydney looked at her.
"We've been searching for Jarod for several years now and you've never shown such a - uuh, compassion."
Parker sighed and sat down on the stairs.
"I've been dreaming about him last night. I've seen something in his eyes I've never seen before - it was somehow fear of dying or being caught. And he asked me to save him."
"You know, if we had time, I'd say it'd be time for a counseling session."
Parker smiled sadly, "I have to admit that I--"
The door flew open and Lyle stormed into the room
"Hello together", he said cheerfully, "You have the honors to help me to find someone."
"We're searching for Jarod, we can't help you", Parker said stubbornly.
"Oh, that's not the problem. You are no longer searching for him and you're to work with me."
"WHAT??"
"Bridgette is now responsible for bringing Jarod back. Your mission is to find Angelo and work with him."
Sydney smiled sadly. He had heard about the new project and hoped that Parker didn't know what was going to come.
Chapter 4 by Chris
Disclaimer: see part 1

Title: Turn Around Part 4/?
By: Chris
Rated: G

Iwanovo/ Russia
12/29/1999, 0.03 am

"Do you mind if I tell you more later? I'm tired and you wanted to sleep hours ago. Let's go to bed and sleep for a while. When's the plane going?"
"About noon. You know, somehow it's better for me to stay in the same room with you."
"How so?"
"I can have an eye on you and know what you're doing."
She smiled at him. Jarod was using the sofa, Parker occupied the bed.
"Good night", she said and closed her eyes. Jarod sat up and watched her. The moon was shining through the window and reflected on her auburn hair. She was breathing regularly, a perfect sign of her being asleep. She turned around and the blanket slid down to lie beside her. If she really were asleep. she wouldn't feel if he covered her again. If she were awake, well, he'd definitely feel it. No, just leave her the way she is. Turn around and sleep. He sighed and laid down again. But he couldn't take his eyes off her and he had to resist the temptation of getting up and walking over to the bed.
He heard a noise he couldn't identify at first. When he had found out the source it stopped. It had been Parker's cellphone. He jumped up from his sofa and wanted to wake Parker. He stopped in mid-walk when he remembered her being naked.
"Maybe it's important", he thought and gently touched her shoulder. She slowly opened her eyes and looked at him.
"Your phone rang", he whispered. She jumped out of the bed and pulled her cellphone out of the bag.
"Uuuh, Parker, don't you want to put something on?"
She looked down at herself and jumped back into the bed, dragging the blanket over herself.
"Why haven't you said something earlier?"
She looked down at her cellphone. Jarod was astonished. No screaming at him, no barking or some other usual reaction, just a small, little remark. Something was definitely wrong with her.
"It was Sydney. Do you want to talk to him?"
"How is he?"
"Dunno, ask him."
She offered him her cellphone and Jarod's hands shook as he dialed the well known number. The phone rang and when someone picked it up, Jarod held his breath. Hastily he handed the phone over to Parker.
"Hello?"
"I thought it was Jarod who's calling", the voice at the other end of the line said without introducing himself, "How's your plan working?"
"Not good, I haven't found him yet", Parker answered. "Can I talk to Dr. Greene?"
"Miss Parker?"
"Hello Sydney, what happened?"
"Oh thank you, I'm fine. Where are you?"
"Sydney, have they discovered our plan?"
"Yes, Broots is fine as well, do you think you'll find him soon?"
"He's with me. We're trying to get out of here tomorrow morning. Are they threatening you?"
"Yes, I know, Broots is trying to find out more about his last location."
"Oh my god, try to get away from there as soon as possible. You'll hear from us as soon as we're safe. I'll hand the phone over to Jarod now."
"Sydney, is everything alright? Is she working with you? Can I trust her?"
"Yes, of course. We keep our eyes and ears open. See that you find him and bring him back. Raines and your father want him back as soon as possible, understood?"
"Take care, Sydney. And get outa there ALIVE! Understood?"
"Take care, Miss Parker."
Jarod stared at the phone in his hands.
"Do you understand me now?"
"What happened to them?"
"Someone has found out that they had more information about your whereabouts than they told and they're threatening them to use this knowledge against them. We have to find a way to disappear. Sydney and Broots know that they have to find a way to get away from the Centre and I'm trying to contact them. They got my cellphone number and I'm going to redirect Sydney's number to your phone. The others get a signal, that the phone is out of order."
"Sorry, Parker, I haven't trusted you."
"I can understand you very good. I have been chasing you for a long time and it's hard to believe that someone has really changed. We have to make them believe, that I am dead. Do you know a way?"
"Plane crash, it's the easiest way for both of us to disappear. You make them believe you got me and we take a small plane back to the Centre or a meeting point of some kind. We can place a bomb with a time fuse in it and let it blow up. We find a place to hide. Now we have to sleep. We have to catch the plane tomorrow. It'll bring us to Germany."
"Germany? Why Germany?"
"I have some friends there who are going to help us. And I have a plan to disappear myself."
He sat down on the sofa and closed his eyes. So many things had happened today. He had to sleep so he could work properly the next day. He tried some Chinese meditation he had learned from a friend and soon he fell asleep.
Parker was lying in her bed, dreaming of the things that had happened and she wasn't ready to accept yet.

The Centre, Blue Cove /De.
08/09/1999

"Why didn't you tell me that you knew about this experiment?" Parker asked furiously.
"I didn't know how you would react if you found out that I was responsible for the whole experiment."
"What, the whole experiment was your idea? And why me?"
"It's not the time yet for you to know. I can tell you later."
"No, I want to know it now. I have aright to know, don't you think?"
She rolled down her sleeve and looked at the vial in Sydney's hands.
"What do you need my blood for? What is this all about?"
"It's about the Red Files."
"The Red Files? What do they have to do with all this?"
"It's the fact that --- that-that Lyle's not you brother."
"Sydney, tell me you're joking, that can't be true. I have become used to call the bastard my brother and you tell me now, that he isn't? Who else is there?"
"It's Angelo. And Jarod as well."
" W H A T?? Jarod and Angelo are brothers?"
"I'm not sure. The Red Files have been forged and I have no idea of where to find the originals. Angelo is definitely your brother, I'm not so sure with Jarod, but it's possible."
Sydney laid his hand on Parker's shoulder and she leaned at his chest. She started sobbing, not caring that the others were watching her.


Iwanovo/ Russia
12/29/1999, 8.21 am

"Parker, wake up. Parker?"
"Go away! Let me sleep. I'm so tired. Just a few more minutes."
"You have to get up. I don't want to miss the plane."
"Leave me alone."
"Are you alright?"
"No, I'm not. Now go away."
"I'm not leaving you. You wanted to stay with me, now I'm going to stay with you."
He went into the bathroom and stepped into the shower. He enjoyed the hot water running over his body. He knew that it would probably be the last hot shower for the next few weeks and hoped, that Parker wouldn't kill him for that. He heard the door open and then the running water from the tab.
"Are you planning to use all hot water?" she asked.
"No, just trying to prepare myself for the next few weeks."
"What?"
"We're gonna hide in a house without warm water. The only water we have is the lake."
"No WARM water? This is a joke, isn't it?"
"Sorry, no. It's the only way to plan everything without being discovered."
"Plan what?"
"Your disappearance, the plane crash and everything else."
"Get out of the shower, I need a long one as well."
"Hand me a towel please."
He switched off the water and stepped out of the shower, taking the towel from Parker's outstretched hand.
"What are you staring at?"
"I never knew you had a tattoo."
Jarod smiled. She hadn't been looking at his tattoo but somewhere else. He said nothing just wrapped the towel around his waist and went out of the bathroom. Parker used the shower until the water went cold. She came back into the room wrapped in her towel.
Chapter 5 by Chris
Disclaimer: see part 1

Title: Turn Around Part 5/?
By: Chris
Rated: G

When Parker returned from the bathroom Jarod was standing by the window, staring outside. He was wearing a dark suit and somehow he looked different.
"Jarod?"
He turned around and Parker tried not to burst out in laughter.
"What is that supposed to be?"
She fell down onto the sofa, laughing.
"Parker, you should get dressed! Your clothes are on your bed."
She got up and looked at the clothes, once again trying to suppress laughter.
"You're kidding. I'm not gonna wear this!"
"Parker it's only a uniform."
"Only a uniform, you're funny. This is a school uniform!"
"Wait until you see your passport", Jarod smiled.
"Now, what is that supposed to mean? Show me that passport!"
He pulled the passport out of a leather case.
"Don't kill me for that."
She took the passport and looked at him.
"JAROD! YOU--"
"Don't say it, young lady."
"No, old man, I won't. Don't tell me you made me your daughter."
"No, my student, Miss Maximova."
She looked at the passport again, "WHAT? You made me 21 years old? Are you kidding?"
"No, I'm not. Do you think I like being 53 years old?"
She grinned, "I think you look kinda good with those strands of white in your hair. Don't you want to keep them?"
"Definitely not. Now get dressed, we have to leave."
Parker got dressed and looked at herself in the mirror.
"I never had a school uniform but I have to admit I like it, except this ugly color! I never liked this kind of brown. It looks like - well, you know."

In the plane on the way to Germany
12/29/1999, 11.30 am

"You see, they believed that you're only 21 and that I'm 53. Thanks to make-up and clothes. And by the way, I love your hair-do."
"I used to have this French braid when I went to college. I always thought I looked older with this."
"You certainly don't", he said and leaned back in his seat, "Now relax and try to think about something to tell Raines when he calls you the next time. Can they locate your cellphone?"
"No, Broots has installed something before I left. They can't find a signal to lock on when they're searching for the place I am."
"Are you in contact with him?"
"He has installed a private e-mail addy but he won't read it until he comes home in the evening."
Jarod sighed.
"Is it safe? Can I write him in a normal way?"
"I don't think so. But you can try it anyway. Maybe he has found a way to ensure the safety of his messages."
"What's the time now in Delaware?"
Parker looked at her watch.
"I think it's eight hours earlier, so it's about 7 am. Maybe he's still at home You can use this phone and try it."
She gestured towards the phone on Jarod's seat.
"That's the wonderful thing of flying first class", Jarod smiled and took the phone. He dialed Broots' private number.
"Broots?"
"Hello Debbie, this is Russel. Is your father at home?"
"One moment please."
Jarod heard Debbie talk to her father and then he took the phone.
"Hello?"
"Broots, this is Russel. Just wanted to know if you're alright."
"Russel? Who are -- oh, hello Jarod. Yes, I'm fine. This phone is safe you can speak freely."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, I'm absolutely sure. Is Parker with you?"
Jarod looked at Parker and she shook her head.
"No, she's not, why do you ask?"
"She was supposed to find you and to bring you to a safe place. Have you heard from her?"
"No, I haven't. Did something happen I need to know about?"
"It's Raines and Lyle -- There is clone project and Raines is responsible -- Lyle has Sydney and me work on a new project with Angelo -- Parker was send to Russia for no obvious reason. I'm worried, she hasn't called at the appointed time."
"Broots, calm down. There's no need to worry. Parker's with me. I just wanted to be sure that this phone was really safe and that it's not just another Centre method to localize me."
He handed the phone over to Parker.
"Broots, this is Parker."
"Oh, Miss Parker, are you alright? I was really worried about you."
"I'm fine. We're on our way to a hiding place. See that the two of you get out of the Centre alive and search a hiding place where you are safe. I don't trust Raines or Lyle."
"What is that rumor about you and Lyle not being --"
"Don't talk about this", Parker hissed, "this is non of your business."
"Sorry, Miss Parker, just thought I asked. Well, I have to go now. Are you going to call Syd?"
"No, just tell him I'm alright."
She hung up before Broots could reply.
"Parker, there's something you aren't telling me. What is this thing Broots was talking about?"
"I can't tell you yet."
"Why not?"
"It's personal."
"Parker, you're gonna live with me for the next few weeks, don't you think I deserve knowing what's the matter with you?"
"It's not only about me but about you as well."
Jarod looked at her, large questionmarks in his eyes.
"It's something Sydney told me. Can I tell you this when we're alone?"
"Of course, but there are more things I need to ask you. One of them is that thing with your being killed in a plane crash and they're still searching for you."
"That was Raines' plan. He wanted the others to believe that I was dead and I could work on undercover missions."
"Raines' plan? You're actually working together with Raines? What about Sydney and Broots? Do they know it?"
"Yes, they're part of this plan, but they only know one half of the plan. Jarod, that's why they need to get out of there as soon as possible. Raines wants them dead so he can use Debbie for his experiments."
"What kind of experiments?"
"I don't know, but as far as I know him that means nothing good. Let's leave this topic for later, OK?"
Jarod nodded and turned his head towards the window.
"Jarod?" Parker whispered.
"What?" Jarod mumbled, still staring out of the window.
"Please look at me, I have to tell you something."
"For a student, you're not speaking in an adequate way to your teacher."
"Don't play the hurt guy. Sir, I'm asking permission to speak freely."
"Permission granted, young lady."
"Jarod", she whispered, "I love you."
Jarod was speechless. Did she really say that she loved him?
"Forget what I just said," Parker sighed and stared at her hands. Jarod took her hand and said nothing. Parker started sobbing.
"Don't you cry, Parker!"
"But I --"
"Sssh, I know it. I'll tell you when we're at our house."
She leaned against his shoulder, still sobbing and then she fell asleep. What did he know? Had she been talking in her sleep last night?
He knew it couldn't be true. Angelo was her brother, he wasn't. Well, he wasn't absolutely sure about this but it just couldn't be. She had a twin brother and he believed that he was older then she was, at least he hoped so.

Still in the plane near Frankfurt Airport/ Germany
12/29/1999, 2 p.m.

"Parker, wake up. We're nearly there."
She opened her eyes and looked out of the window. She could already see the Frankfurt skyline.
"Already there? What are we gonna do now?"
"We’ll rent a car and see my friend, in a small town about 2 1/2 hours from here. He'll give us the keys and'll show us the way to the cabin. Do you have enough clothes?"
"What for?"
"German winters can be quite cold, especially in a cabin without central heating."
"What else didn't you tell me? No warm water, no central heating?"
"This is going to be fun! We're gonna cook our water over the fire, the water comes from a spring near the house and we'll have a open fire in the living room. This is going to be a wonderful New Year's night."
"What about electricity?"
"There's supposed to be a power generator near the house. It should provide us with everything we need."
"I need my music when I'm alone. And I suppose I'll be alone a lot."
"No problem, there's a hi-fi tower in there."
"OK, so my weeks are saved. Anything else I don't know yet?"
"There's only one French sized bed there."
"Fine, you'll take the couch."
Chapter 6 by Chris
Disclaimer see part 1
This part is for Gables. Thanks for your help!!

Turn Around Part 6/?
by: Chris
Rated: PG


Somewhere in Germany
12/29/2000, 5.27 p.m.

"Jarod, are you sure that's the right way? We're in the middle of nowhere."
"Yes, I'm sure. I've been here before."
"You've been living here?"
"No, just one day."
"I don't know how to survive this", Parker sighed, "No warm shower, no central heating."
"We still have a bath-tub", Jarod grinned.
"A bath-tub? With cold water?"
"We have a fire and we can boil water to fill the tub."
"OK, leave this discussion for later."
The car drove through the silent dark forest. There were nothing but trees outside, not even a normal road, only gravel. And then the forest faded away and Parker saw the house. The moon was reflecting on the lake's surface, the little house even looked cozy. Jarod stopped the car and got outside. His boots crunched on the gravel. Parker got out as well and inhaled the fresh air.
"It's fairly cold."
"Uuuh. We have to make a fire first so the cabin will be warm, then we take our bags inside."
Both stared at the moon and then went inside. They didn't see the huge clouds building on the horizon nor did they hear the distant thunder.
Jarod switched on the lights.
"What about the generator? Is it working constantly?"
"No, but there's a certain storage capacity for at least one night. We'll switch in on tomorrow."
Their conversation came to an abrupt end when - in-between their sentences - low thunder began to roll.
"What was that? It is much too cold for a thunderstorm."
"It's never too cold. There can be electrical charges in warm and cold air."
"I know, but in the common mind it's too cold."
"OK. I'll light the fire and you bring the bags inside."
Parker went outside to fetch the bags from the car. When she came back inside Jarod was sitting in front of the fire.
"It's kinda windy outside, Jarod. Does this house have shutters?"
"Yes, but wooden ones that have to be closed from the outside. I'll close them. Can you look after the fire?"
"There are still some bags in the car."
"I'll get them."
Jarod left the cabin and Parker placed the bags she had been holding on the sofa. She sat down in front of the fire and enjoyed its warmth. She put a few logs on it and the flames grew larger. They illuminated the whole room that much that she didn't notice that the lights went off.
"Why did you switch off the lights?" Jarod asked when he came back in.
"I didn't switch them off", Parker protested.
"But they're out."
"The fire was so bright, I didn't notice. What about the generator?"
"I have to have a closer look but not now. It's too windy and it's dark outside. I'll have to do it tomorrow. There should be some candles in the cupboard."
"This is going to become an adventure tour", Parker sighed, "Did you bring the last bags?"
Jarod nodded and pointed towards the door. Parker looked around the room and stopped when she saw the hi-fi tower in one corner. A little smile played around her lips. She opened one of her bags and took out some CDs. Suddenly she started swearing.
"What's the matter?" Jarod asked.
"My fav CD's gone. I must have left it back home."
"What CD?"
"Tina Turner. You've been here before, what about a tour of the house?"
"Such a sudden change of topic? You want a tour of the house without lights?"
"I've got a flashlight in my bag ."
She dug out the torch and gave it to Jarod. He went over to the kitchen.
"Small but fine, our kitchen. Over there is the door to the outside toilet."
"What, the toilet isn't inside the house? Oh my, where am I?"
"Don't worry, we still have a potty. Let's go upstairs. You already know the living room, over there are the stairs."
They climbed up the steep stairs to a kind of balcony over the living room.
"This is the bedroom."
It had only a French sized bed and a chair in it. One small window gave a free view over the lake and the forests. The room was illuminated by flash from the outside and Parker shrieked in surprise. Jarod smiled.
"Stop that silly smile", Parker barked.
"Sorry, but this is too funny. A woman like you, and then she's afraid of a thunderstorm."
"I'm not afraid."
She sat down on the bed. and looked around the sparely illuminated room. The fire was reflecting on the ceiling and gave the room a warm light.
"Let's go to bed. I'm tired. As I said, the sofa's all yours."
"Yes, ma'am. Don't you want to finish the tour first?"
"There's another room?"
Jarod nodded.
"The bathroom", Jarod grinned.
"Bathroom?"
"Come on, I'll show you."
They went down the stairs and Jarod opened a small door under the stairs. He switched on the lights and stepped back.
"You're an idiot", Parker hissed, "Why are the lights working here?"
"I switched the others off. I wanted to annoy you a little bit. And it obviously worked. There's the shower and our toilet."
"A toilet? A shower? Don't tell me there's even warm water?"
"No, the cold water thing was the whole truth."
"So, where's the bath-tub?"
"Still standing outside. We have to pull it inside if we want to use it. Now that you've seen the house, you can go to bed. Try to think what you want to do the day after tomorrow."
"The day after tomorrow? What is so special about that?"
"It's the 31st of December. The last day of 1999. The day before the world collapses."
"Haha, funny. What can we do?"
"Stay in our little cabin, staring at each other or sitting in ones corner. What ever you wish."
"Can we go into a city? I need people around me."
"Sorry, no. We can go shopping tomorrow and have wonderful night out here."
"So, what choice do I have? Let's go shopping tomorrow and have a wonderful night out here. Wonderful, really wonderful", she said sarcastically.
"Oh come on, am I such a bad company?"
"No, but I can think of better ways to spend a special night and I can't think of something better to do. Any other suggestions?"
"No, not yet. Maybe I can find another thing. Wait and see. Well, tomorrow we can go shopping so we have to make a list what we need. You prepare what you need, I prepare what I need. You know, I don't know if it's safe for you to leave the house more often. The Centre has spies everywhere, so when they find out that you have already found me you get in trouble."
"You mean, make a list for the things I need, say, for the next few weeks?"
"Bingo."
She let herself fall onto the bed and stared at the ceiling. Jarod sat down in the chair and looked at her. They listened to the raging storm outside until Parker fell asleep. Jarod smiled and got up. He covered her with the blanket and went down the stairs. He left the lights off and sat in front of the fire. His eyes fell on his suitcase. The DSAs. He hoped Parker hadn't seen them. He opened the case and pushed one of the small disks inside.
The night went by and Jarod watched one DSA after the other. He didn't seem to realize that Parker was standing at the top of the stairs, watching him. Even when she came down the stairs to stand behind him he didn't move.
"Jarod?" she whispered, "Don't you want to go to sleep? It's 4.30 am."
"Uuuh? I didn't hear you coming down."
"Jarod, go to sleep. You can't change things in looking at your DSAs. Mind if I join you?"
Jarod was surprised that she simply sat down beside him on the floor and wrapped herself in a blanket from the couch. He flipped another disk inside, not knowing what was on it. When it started to play he wanted to switch it off immediately but Parker grabbed his hand and stared at the screen. The one he had seen so often, the one where Catherine Parker had been killed. Parker's grip on his hand increased and he heard her breath harden. He turned his head and saw tears filling her eyes. He said nothing until the scene was finished.
"Do you want to talk about it?" he asked.
"No", she answered and got up. She climbed up the stairs and he heard her falling onto the bed. Then there was dead silence. He considered getting up and following her but decided against it.

Ansbach/Germany
12/30/1999, noon

Jarod was walking around the stores, buying all the things they might need during the next weeks. Parker had stayed in the cabin. She felt sick and preferred to stay in bed. Reluctantly Jarod had left her alone but she had been right, he had to do the shopping otherwise they would starve to death. So he used the time to have a look at a music store. He had planned to buy a Tina Turner CD for Parker, so to say as a belated Christmas gift. He found what he had wanted. Another thought came to his mind. He went to the classics and searched for something special for New Years eve. He had to spend a night with Parker and he wanted to impress her a little bit. He had bought champagne and something special to eat. All that missed now was a special kind of music.

Back at the cabin
12/30/1999, 3.54 p.m.

Jarod opened the door and entered the house. Everything was quiet it seemed as if nobody were at home. He put the bags onto the sofa and went up the stairs to Parker's bedroom. She was lying on her bed, her eyes closed, breathing heavily. He put his hand on her forehead. Somehow he had expected it to be hot but it was cold and beads of sweat covered her forehead. She moaned and turned around.
"Parker?"
Her eyes snapped open and she looked at him.
"Are you alright?"
"Where am I?"
"In the cabin. Is everything alright?"
She looked around and seemed to orient herself. She looked at the ceiling and sighed heavily.
"That DSA last night gave me bad dreams, nothing more. I'm fine. How long have you been gone?"
"I've been gone for nearly five hours. Did you sleep the whole time?"
Parker shrugged her shoulders.
"I think so. Did you get all the things you wanted?"
Jarod nodded and got up from her bed. He shot her an inconspicuous glance and went down the stairs. Somehow she smelled like alcohol. Jarod worried if she couldn't cope with being alone. Parker slowly got up. Her head seemed to be spinning around, she felt as if she were drunk. What the hell did she do before she had fallen asleep? She couldn't even remember having gone to bed after Jarod had left. She looked around the small room and saw a bottle lying on the floor next to her bed. She picked it up and looked at it. Whiskey. Where did that come from? She knew she'd had a bottle in one of her bags, but a new one. Slowly she went over to the bag and looked inside. The bottle was gone.
"Jarod?" she called.
"What?" came his voice from the kitchen.
"Come up here, there's something wrong."
Jarod jumped up and ran up the stairs.
"What's wrong?"
"I've had a whiskey bottle in my bag. Now the bottle's gone and instead I find a nearly empty bottle lying next to my bed and I feel as if I'm drunk."
"Well, you drank it, I can't think of another explanation."
"But I can't remember that I did so."
She scratched her arm and then looked at it.
"Jarod, what's that?" she asked, pointing towards a stitch on her arm. He took her arm and looked at it closely.
"That looks like someone has pricked you with a needle. Are you an addict?"
"No", she protested, "How can you think something like that? Yesterday that thing wasn't there."
"OK, sorry. It wasn't me either."
"Do you think the Centre has found us and want to tell us something?"
"You mean by trying to kill you? No, I don't think so, they would have wanted us both - alive."
"So, what now?"
"We stay here, at least for the next two days, that's how long I need to get the two of us a new identity."
"What about your friend? How are you gonna tell him we're leaving again?"
"I hate to do this but I won't tell him."
She shrugged her shoulder, "I don't care, do whatever you think best."
"I hate to do this but the cabin itself has to disappear so he won't be searching for us."
"Blow up the house? Not the fine English way, but effective."
"Thanks. Get dressed and then come down to the kitchen, we have to talk about everything."
She nodded and Jarod went down the stairs and into the kitchen. He looked out of the window and something seemed to be different than the evening before. He opened the door and looked outside. He found a ladder leaning at the house, directly under Parker's window. Parker entered the kitchen.
"What are you doing? Close the door, it's terribly cold."
"Come out here."
Reluctantly she stepped out in the cold and was surprised to find everything covered with snow. Not much but enough to make the world look different.
"What?"
"What do you see?"
"Snow. And it's cold."
"The ladder. It wasn't there when I left the house earlier. Did you do any climbing exercise?"
"Hey, that's my window! No, I didn't do anything. Are there any footprints in the snow? Anything that indicates a visitor? I hate living with the thought that a ghost did that to me."
Abruptly she turned around and ran to the bathroom. Jarod looked confused. Slowly he followed her inside and closed the door behind him. Inside the bathroom he could hear her retching.
"Parker?"
"Go away!"


The cabin/ somewhere in Germany
12/31/1999, 11.30 p.m.

Parker was sitting on the sofa and stared into the fire. She had gotten used to the fire and its low light so she had switched off the lights. Her eyes were half-closed and she stared into nothingness. She had wanted to tell Jarod that she really hadn't drunken the whiskey but he didn't believe it. He was still convinced that she was trying to test him. She really had no idea how it all had happened but somehow she knew that deep in her mind she had to know what had happened. She wanted to be alone, to have the silence she needed to find those lost memories. And she did NOT want Jarod play counselor or psychiatrist to help her. She had to find it all on her own.
Jarod was sitting in the kitchen, with the lights on, working with his laptop. He had no intention of joining Parker in the living room for she had unmistakably told him that she wanted to be alone. She had drunken half a bottle of whiskey and wanted him to believe that someone else had made her drink it while she had been sleeping. The little mark on her arm was conspicuous but he didn't want to think about it at the moment. Maybe if he left her alone for a while she would try to explain him what really happened.
At the same time they both stared out of the window, their thoughts wandering back to the Centre. Miss Parker thought of her daddy and what he would possibly be doing right now. Jarod thought of his family and Sydney. Suddenly he no longer wanted to be alone and decided to join Miss Parker even if she wanted to be alone. He sent the last e-mail via his satellite link to Sydney. He had encrypted the message so only Sydney would understand it and had asked him what he should do with Parker. He still wasn't convinced that she was really trying to escape the Centre but he played her game. He switched off his laptop and then got up. He switched off the lights and stepped into the living room.
"Parker?"
"What?"
"I didn't want to be sitting in the kitchen all by myself, staring at my computer screen. Hope you don't mind company."
"In fact, I do."
"Oh come on, it's nearly midnight, we should be cheering, being happy. Instead we're sitting in each ones corner glaring at each other like animals on the hunt."
"Sometimes I'm really thinking of killing you. You're getting on my nerves."
"Parker, don't be silly. I know you're angry about this morning, but that's over. I have apologized and you should accept that apology."
"No, I can't accept it. You always make me look like a fool. You don't believe what I say, no matter WHAT I say."
"I can't believe this. I told you I was sorry."
"But I don't believe it, you're not sincere with me--. No, we don't talk about this now."
"Alright, if we don't talk about this, then stop pouting!"
"I am NOT pouting."
"Stop it! Parker, it's nearly midnight, don't you think we should start with the champagne?"
"Champagne? You bought champagne? Why didn't you tell me?"
"You didn't ask."
Chapter 7 by Chris
Disclaimer: see part 1

Turn Around Part 7/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG
Spoilers: None

The cabin/ somewhere in Germany
01/01/2000, midnight

"..03, 02, 01, zero. Happy new year, Miss Parker."
"Happy new year, Jarod", she said, and brushed his cheeks with her lips. "What now? I hate lonely evenings. Let's talk about some necessary things."
"Such as?"
"What about your plannings for the plane crash?"
"Oh Parker, I forgot to tell you. The plane has already crashed."
"So we are officially dead?"
"You are, I'm not."
"What do you mean? Only I got killed in the crash?" she asked and raised one of her eyebrows.
"They only found your body mine wasn't discovered yet."
"A body?? Where did that one come from?"
"She was killed in a car crash and I felt so free as to let her help us. I have found us a new identity and there are some plans for our near future."
"So? What plans?"
"Tell you tomorrow."
"I have to return to my computer and complete the plans. Care to help me?"
"Gladly."

The cabin
01/02/2000, 10.23 a.m.

"Turn around.
Every now and then I get a little bit lonely and you're never coming round.
Turn around.
Every now and then I get a little bit tired of listening to the sound of my tears.
Turn around.
Every now and then I get a little bit nervous that the best of all the years has gone by.
Turn around.
Every now and then I feel a little bit terrified and then I see the look in your eyes.
Turn around.
Every now and then I fall apart", the music went on but she continued the text in another way in her head, "I feel so lonely and feel as if I were the only human living in this world, once upon a time I was falling in love, now I'm only falling apart, once upon a time there was light in my life, now there's only love in the dark.." The music went on, she kept humming along, singing parts of the text, then falling back to her own words.
"Parker?" She jumped at his voice.
"I'm sorry Jarod, I was just thinking."
"I can see that you've been feeling terribly lonely, right?"
She simply nodded.
"Well, I've got something for you."
He took her by the wrist and pulled her out of the house.
"Close your eyes, just for a second."
He let go of her wrist and ducked into the car. Carefully he took out a large basket.
"You can open your eyes."
She opened her eyes and looked at the basket, askance. The blanket on top of it moved. She bent down and pulled the blanket away. A pair of dark brown eyes looked at her. She held out her hand and touched the animals' fur. It jumped out of the basket. Parker smiled.
"Oh, Jarod, how beautiful!"
She crouched down to pick up the puppy. She caressed its cream colored fur and it snuggled into her embrace. Jarod stood beside her and smiled silently. She seemed to glow inwardly and looked much happier than just minutes ago. She looked up at him.
"Thank you so much", she muffled into the animal's fur, "But why?"
"It's supposed to be an apology for my leaving you so often."
"And you want to say that you're not leaving me alone this often when we are in our new home?"
"Yes, that's it. And I want to find out whether we are related or not."
"You mean if I am your sister?"
Jarod nodded.
"And there are other good news. We are going to China, meeting with Syd and Broots. They have escaped The Centre, officially they're dead. They're trying to find a new home and we're gonna try helping them."
And suddenly he changed topic.
"Do you have chosen a name for the puppy?"
"Is it male or female?"
"Female."
She looked at the puppy for some long minutes.
"I don't know", she admitted.
"I have something in mind."
She cocked her head.
"The name of a good friend and your sister."
"Faith?"
Jarod nodded. Parker kissed the puppy's nose
"Well, honey, your name's gonna be Faith. But you've changed topic, Jarod. What have you planned?"
"We're going to meet in Peking, on the Place Of Heavenly Peace during a parade. We're hoping to find a place where we can stay together in peace."
"Did they bring Debbie?"
"Yes, she was the one who told them to leave. For her sake they had wanted to stay but she has seen the danger they all had been in and knew that it would be best to just disappear."
"She's a good girl and knows much more than it seems."
Faith jumped down to the ground and waddled around the room. Parker looked at her and smiled.
"When are you planning to leave?"
"In two days. Our meeting's on tuesday. The flight'll take about 18 hours and we'll fly from Frankfurt."
"Again from Frankfurt? In two days? Well then, I guess we'll better start packing our belongings."
“You start packing, I have to go into town to get the last things done. Anything you need?”
“Not that I know, thanks.”
Parker went upstairs and Jarod left the house, sat inside the car and drove off.

The cabin
01/02/2000, 1.36 am

Parker was sitting on the sofa and stared at the book in her hands without seeing anything. The little dog was lying beside her, warming her. She was glad Jarod gave her the dog and hoped that she would be able to take the dog to China, but as far as she knew Jarod everything would have been planned.
From the corner of her eye she saw a movement. She turned around and expected to see Jarod but instead she looked into the face of a complete stranger. She wanted to call out for Jarod but only felt a piece of cloth over her mouth before she fell unconscious.

The cabin
01/02/2000, 2.03 p.m.

Jarod expected Parker to be sitting on the sofa, staring at her book but the living room was empty. He shrugged his shoulders and went into the kitchen. Faith was sitting under the table, her little body shaking like a leaf in the wind. Jarod crouched down and picked up the puppy. He found his laptop running but there was nobody else in the room. He was sure that he had switched it off before leaving the house. He switched it off and went back to the living room. He saw something lying behind the sofa, it looked like a shoe. Didn't he tell Parker to pack her things? He sighed and sat Faith down. He took a closer look at the shoe and went over to pick it up when he saw her.
"Oh my God, Parker?"
She was lying on the floor, a bleeding gash on her shoulder. Her lips were partly open and her breath was rasping. Jarod bent down next to her and slapped her into the face.
"Parker, wake up!"
She slowly opened her eyes.
“What happened?” Jarod asked. Parker only stared at him, her eyes not focused. He gently touched her shoulder to examine the wound and she screamed in agony.
“What are you doing?” she barked at him, suddenly back to full consciousness.
“I need to have a closer look at this.”
“At what?”
“Your shoulder is hurt. Sorry, but you have to take off your shirt.”
If looks could kill, Jarod would have been dead right away, but she didn't say a word and slowly took off her shirt. The wound looked like a deep cut with a knife but something was inside the wound.
“It looks as if you were stabbed with a knife but there’s something inside the wound. Do you have any idea what happened?”
“I only remember that someone came up behind me. At first I thought it was you but when I turned it was someone else. Then everything went black. No idea what else happened. OOUCH!”
Jarod had put a cloth onto the wound to stop the bleeding.
“We have to leave as soon as possible. First I take care of your wound and then we leave. I guess your bags are already packed?”
“They are. You mean we’re going to China?”
“Yup. I try to get an earlier plane and cancel the other one. Do you know how long you were unconscious?”
“The last time I looked it was half past one. What’s the time now?”
“Two o’clock.”
“Where’s the puppy?”
“She’s alright. I found her in the kitchen. Parker, I need to operate on your wound. I can’t bring you to hospital.”
“You mean you’re pretending on me??? This is how far down I’ve sunken.”

The cabin
01/03/2000, 7.37 a.m.

Parker was sitting on the sofa and watched Jarod. He was packing their belongings and brought the bags into the car. Parker was high on painkillers because Jarod had had to operate on her to find out what had been inside the wound. It had been a kind of transmitter which would have helped to localize her wherever she went. He had put the transmitter onto the table and stitched up the wound. He would leave the transmitter here so whoever did this would think they were still in the cabin. He had also searched all the bags for hidden transmitters but hadn’t found anything.
The house was nearly empty now and Jarod started to set the house on fire. Parker got up, took her small bag with the CDs and went outside. She sat down in the car and watched the rising sun.
“I wish we could have stayed,” Jarod said as he entered the car and sat down behind the steering wheel.
"Somehow I've gotten used to the cabin. It’s a shame we have to destroy it."
"Parker, you're getting sentimental. But it’s true. I don't like the idea of destroying a good friend’s property but I can’t think of another way. Just to disappear is out of the question."
Chapter 8 by Chris
Disclaimer: see part 1.


Title: Turn Around Part 8/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG

Plane / somewhere over Afghanistan
01/03/2000, 4.46 p.m. CET

“How did you get that plane? It’s pretty small. Are you sure we’ll reach Peking in one piece?”
“Parker, we’re already somewhere over Afghanistan, that’s more than half of the distance to Peking. Trust me and the plane. It’ll work. I would have preferred a larger one, but everything had to be done fast, and that was the only plane available. Oh, by the way, we are not alone. A friend of mine wanted to see the Chinese wall,” Jarod grinned. A head appeared behind Parker.
“Hi, howdy?”
“F-Fine, thanks.” She didn't want to admit that she was shocked to find out that they hadn’t been alone for such a long time, “Yourself?”
“Wonderful, and seeing the Chinese wall? An opportunity I wouldn’t wanna miss. And I am sure that I can help you with your search.”
“Our search? Search for what?”
“Oh, didn't Jarod tell you?”
“Michael, don't tell her. That was supposed to be a surprise.”
“Ooops, sorry, Miss Parker, you didn't hear it.”
“No, I didn't,” she sighed. So much for a quiet flight to their new home. She smiled at the two and asked to be excused. Then she left and went to the back of the plane to be with her dog. The little one was scared and tried to hide inside a corner. Parker picked it up and sat down in a seat. She pressed the small shaking body against hers and closed her eyes. Her shoulder hurt and a throbbing pain made it impossible for her to think of something else. Faith warmed her. It was cold. She felt somehow alone. Alone in that big bad world outside the plane.

The Centre / Blue Cove
01/03/2000, 10.46 a.m. EST

“Broots?” Sydney’s voice was nothing more than a whisper but in the silence of the room it seemed as if he had shouted the word out loud.
“I’m here. Do you think they are already waiting for us?”
“I hope not. I hate to disappoint them. And I hate to betray them. The sweepers are all over Peking.”
“How the hell did Raines got know about it?”
“Good question. I try to warn them and if it’ll cost my life.”
“Are you crazy? Sydney, they’ll kill you!”
“What if? I couldn’t life with the thought of being responsible for Jarod being caught. I’d feel like a traitor. I couldn’t live with it.”
“Sydney, don't call him. For Debbie’s sake. She’s save – for now. I don't know how much longer I can hide her from THEM. We have to get to China before Jarod an Miss Parker get caught. The meeting is supposed to be tomorrow. Even with sweepers all over the city, we can still make it. We can’t tell whether we would have made it or not if we don't try. Sydney, please. I want Debbie to be able to live a normal life.”
Sydney said nothing just stared at the cellphone in his hands. He got up and walked out of the room, leaving a confused Broots behind. Broots got up as well and followed Sydney through the corridors of the Centre. Somehow it was creepy because nobody else was there. It seemed as if everybody had gone home. But both knew that they were supervised the whole time. That someone was watching them. They only hoped that nobody had heard their conversation, that they didn't know what they were planning.
Sydney didn't say anything. He didn't dare to tell Broots what he had told Jarod. He had told him that they had already escaped the Centre, that they were officially dead. Raines had pressed him to tell Jarod. Sydney knew that he had betrayed Jarod and Miss Parker but he had been afraid of his own life.
Now it was all the same to him, live or die, whatever. Now that he had betrayed the person he had cared for all his life, he didn't care. Sometimes he had been like a father for both of them and he had helped them survive, he had helped Jarod to grow to become the man he was right now.
He had never, never ever betrayed someone like that. He thought that wouldn’t feel anything. No fear of dying, no fear of unknown thing to come, no fear of betraying the Centre. Betraying them would bring back his feelings, he hoped. He didn't know how soon he would be reminded of his thoughts.

Airport Peking
01/03/2000, same time

A sweeper team was searching the airport. Someone had told them that a plane had just arrived and the pilot’s name were Jarod. Finally their search would have an end. They would catch him, bring him back to the Centre and win the laurels. Maybe even be promoted.
But Jarod was nowhere to be found.
“Mr. Lyle, are you sure that this is the right airport?”
“The information said that he was going to be found at the airport Peking.”
“Peking Airport or an airport in Peking?”
“Where’s the difference, Mike?” His voice suddenly became a dangerous undertone.
“Well, there’s the Shahe airport northwest of Peking, another one near Shijingshan west of the city, and another one at Nanyang in the south. They all belong to Peking.”
Lyle looked around the room, trying to control his anger. He resisted the temptation to slap the man’s face and instead started swearing and walked away.
A young man came through the door, a red scrap book in his hands and looked around. When he saw Mike he marched over to him.
“Are you a sweeper?” he asked.
“Yes, who are you?”
“My name is Jarod Brags. A friend of mine has given that to me. He wanted you to have it.”
“Me?”
“Not you personally, but the Centre. He thought it might be important information.”
Mike took the book and went over to Lyle. He handed him the book and told him what the other man had just said. Lyle looked up but Jarod Brags was gone.
“Are you sure it wasn’t Jarod?”
“He said his name was Jarod Brags. But he looked completely different!”
“You idiot! Jarod can be everywhere and everyone. He can change his looks that’s why he’s called a chameleon! You know, you start t o really annoy me. I don't think I’ll need you anymore.”
He looked around the room. Except for the sweeper team the room was empty. It was a backroom of the airport. He took out his gun and shot the man down who had just given him the information he needed.
“Let’s go. We have work to do.”

Plane / somewhere over China
01/03/2000, 5.31 p.m. CET

“Parker, wake up!” Jarod called from the front of the plane. She didn't react so he activated the autopilot and got up.
“Michael, have an eye on the instruments, will you?”
He went to the sleeping Miss Parker and laid his hand on her shoulder. She jumped up from her slumber and looked at Jarod with her intense blue eyes.
“Don't you ever scare me like that again!” she hissed.
“Sorry, but there have been some problems. We have to change our plans.”
“What happened?”
“A sweeper team was seen at the Peking airport. A friend of mine has been there and he has called. I’ve had some plans for what to do when something like that would happen but the problem are Sydney and Broots. I don't know where they currently are. We have to inform them of our change of plans.”
“You mean meeting later?”
“I don't like it but we have to, yes. We go to Japan. Can you call them and give them our exact location and the new times?”
“Of course. How did the Centre get to know that we were on our way to Peking?”
“I don't know, but there is someone who might know that. Ask Broots if he can find out something like that. How’s your shoulder, Parker?”
“It hurts but I'll survive. Where’s the phone?”

“Broots here?”
“Is this line save?”
“I don't know, it’s my cellphone. Are you alright? Where are you? What happened?”
“Broots, nice you’re worried but one question at a time alright?”
“Sorry, Miss Parker, but I’m a little confused. Sydney was taken into custody by Centre sweepers. Debbie and I, we’re on our way to the airport. Where are you?”
“In the plane. What happened? I thought you escaped the Centre days ago?”
“Who told you that? I’ve been working until this morning. I’ve taken some days off.”
“Sydney told me. What did you say happened?”
“A sweeper team has taken him away, in handcuffs. Miss Parker, what should I do? I’m afraid to leave without him.”
“Leave, leave for Debbie’s sake. We’ll have to take care of that problem later. There’s only one problem. We can’t meet you in Peking. The city’s flooded with sweepers. Is it possible you take another plane?”
“I hope so. To where?”
“I can’t tell you on the phone. I can’t be sure they’re not taping your calls.”
“I think you can, the phone’s only two days old. I got it from Debbie on my birthday.”
“Your birthday? Oh, I forgot. Congratulations. Broots, take a plane to Tokyo, we’ll talk again later. Have to go.”
“Take care, Miss Parker.”
“You too and tell Debbie to be a good girl. Bye.”
She handed the phone back to Jarod. She looked out of the window. Faith was still sitting in her lap, looking at her with her big brown eyes.
“They’ve arrested Sydney.”
“WHAT??”
“Broots said that a sweeper team has taken him away, handcuffed. Something bad has happened. He also said that they didn't escape the Centre, that he has worked until today.”
“But Sydney--.”
“I think you have to forget about him. He has betrayed you. I believe that it was him who told Raines about our plans to meet in Peking. Who else could it be?”
“Sydney would never, you hear me, never betray us like that. He’s our friend he--.”
“Jarod, you have to understand him, you have to try it. Maybe we’ll find out what’s been happening, why he did it.”
“How can you be sure?”
“I’m not sure, I’m just trying to see things the way they are.”
Chapter 9 by Chris
Disclaimer: see part 1.

Title: Turn Around Part 9/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG


“Broots here?”
“Is this line save?”
“Miss Parker? I don't know, it’s my cell phone. Are you alright? Where are you? What happened? How’s Jarod?”
“Broots, nice you’re worried but one question at a time alright?”
“Sorry, Miss Parker, but I’m totally confused. Sydney was taken into custody by Centre sweepers. Debbie and I, we’re on our way to the airport. Where are you?”
“In the plane. What happened? I thought you escaped the Centre days ago?”
“Who told you that? I’ve been working until this morning. I’ve taken some days off.”
“Sydney told me. What did you say happened?”
“A sweeper team has taken him away, in handcuffs. Miss Parker, what should I do? I’m afraid to leave without him.”
“Leave, leave for Debbie’s sake. We’ll have to take care of that problem later. There’s only one problem. We can’t meet you in Peking. The city’s flooded with sweepers. Is it possible you take another plane?”
“I hope so. To where?”
“I can’t tell you on the phone. I can’t be sure they’re not taping your calls.”
“I think you can, the phone’s only two days old. I got it from Debbie on my birthday.”
“Your birthday? Oh, I forgot. Congratulations. Broots, take a plane to Tokyo, we’ll talk again later. Have to go.”
“Take care, Miss Parker.”
“You too and tell Debbie to be a good girl. Bye.”
She handed the phone back to Jarod. She looked out of the window. Faith was still sitting in her lap, looking at her with her big brown eyes.
“They’ve arrested Sydney.”
“WHAT??”
“Broots said that a sweeper team has taken him away, handcuffed. Something bad has happened. He also said that they didn't escape the Centre, that he has worked until today.”
“But Sydney--.”
“I think you have to forget about him. He has betrayed you. I believe that it was him who told Raines about our plans to meet in Peking. Who else cold it be?”
“Sydney would never, you hear me, never betray us like that. He’s our friend he--.”
“Jarod, you have to understand him, you have to try it. Maybe we’ll find out what’s been happening, why he did it.”
“How can you be sure?”
“I’m not sure, I’m just trying to see things the way they are. He’s the only one who could have told him. I guess that it’s Raines’ fault. He probably pressed him to tell you lies and has threatened to kill him or his family if he didn't. We have to forget about him for now. It’ll jeopardize the whole mission if we try to free him now. What if he had planned it the whole time? That he never wanted to meet us? I hate to admit that I’ve trusted him. I know that he’s our friend but first we have to think about helping Broots and Debbie. When they’re save we’ll go after Sydney, alright?”
Jarod bit his lip but nodded. Parker got up and put her hand on her shoulder, trying to comfort him. She knew that it had hit him hard. Sydney had been his fatherly friend for nearly all his life and he had trusted him, he would have put his life in the man’s hands and now everything looked as if he had betrayed them. A single tear started rolling down his face when he turned around abruptly and marched back to the cockpit. Parker sighed and sat down in her seat again. Faith was waddling around the compartment. Parker had to grin involuntarily. That happy little dog, she had non idea what tragedies were going on around her. She came back to Parker and jumped onto her lap.
Parker tried to explain to herself what had happened to Sydney. Maybe they were trying to force him to tell secrets he had kept to himself, tell them where Jarod was, what had happened to her, about his own escape plans. She hoped it wasn’t true. That he didn't betray them.
“Jarod, how long until we’re there?”
“Maybe five hours. I only hope we get permission to land. We have to find a small airport. Go back to sleep. Michael and I will do the rest.”
She had nearly forgotten about the other man. Where was he and the more important question, who was he? She got up, Faith in her arms, and walked to the front.
“Why are we going to Tokyo?” she asked.
“It was planned to go there, only later,” Jarod answered.
“May I tell her now?” Michael asked and Jarod nodded.
“In case you’ve been wondering who I am, my name’s Michael Black and I’ve been a Centre sweeper when I was younger.”
“When you were younger?”
“When I was only twenty. Now I’m nearly forty and trying to undo the damage I’ve done when I’ve been working for them. I’ve found out that the Centre has an outpost in Japan.”
“Where in Japan? Maybe that was the reason why I was sent to college in Japan.”
“On the north island, on Hokkaido, somewhere in a forest. I want to find out where exactly it is and then destroy it.”
“Do you know what they are doing there?”
“Jarod has told me that you have found information concerning a certain experiment.”
“You mean the things I’ve found out in Russia?”
“Yes. It’s highly possible that they are conduction these experiments there.”
“Conducting these experiments? With living beings?”
“With humans, to be precise. They’ve named it ‘Project Euthanasia’, a wonderful name.”
“But that’s the complete difference. Euthanasia means an easy and painless death. Wait a second, death? They’re not killing them, are they?”
“Miss Parker, there’s something else. Do you know what it meant during the 2nd World War?”
“They’ve called it euthanasia to kill mentally ill and disabled people. Why do you ask?”
“Their guinea pigs are disabled people.”
Miss Parker only looked at him and couldn’t find the strength to ask more about this topic.
“What about the clone project in Alaska?” she asked.
“I haven’t found anything,” Jarod said, “It seems to be part of Raines’ plan to keep you out of the way. We have to take care of this problem in Japan first. There are too many lives at stake. We have to save them first, then we can try to solve the Alaska mystery.”
Miss Parker and Michael sighed.
“Jarod, can’t you fly faster?”
“Sorry, Parker, there’s a strong headwind. It’ll take even longer than I expected. This is a small plane.”
“I'll do the best I can. Relax, you can’t do anything from up here. You need rest, the following days are gonna be hard.”
“You should take a nap as well, you’ve been awake for far too long.”
She turned around and went back to her seat. Jarod tried not to show his emotions, she thought and had to admit that she was doing the same. She knew that she better tried to sleep. Her shoulder felt as if someone was constantly stabbing her with a knife. She hated to admit it but she had to ask Jarod for some painkillers.
“Jarod?” Her voice sounded weak. Dammit, someone had tried to kill her, she was allowed to sound weak. Jarod turned around to look at her. When he saw the look on her face he got up.
“Do you need something against the pain?” he asked before Parker could speak up. She only nodded.
“I’ll better have a look at it again. Can you take off your sweater?”
“It looks good, considering the circumstances. Normally you’d have to stay in hospital. Try not to walk around that much and try to rest.”
“Something really strong, please.”
“What?”
“The painkillers, something strong?”
“Want an injection or some pills.”
“Whatever works faster.”
Jarod looked down at her. Her eyes were closed and she had dark shades under her eyes. She looked somehow older than usual. Her black sweater made her look pale. He searched for his medkit and took out a syringe. Parker didn't even open her eyes when Jarod pricked her with the needle and injected the painkiller into her bloodstream.
Jarod took a blanket and wrapped it around Parker. She muffled a thanks and Jarod wanted to go back into the cockpit.
He decided against it and sat down in the seat in front of Parker. He watched her and tried to imagine what was going around in her head. Faith suddenly stood in front of him and looked at him. He smiled and picked her up. She snuggled into his lap and closed her eyes. Jarod closed his eyes. He had to sleep as well. Michael would take care of the plane and bring them closer to Japan while he took his nap.
Chapter 10 by Chris
Disclaimer: see part 1.

Title: Turn Around Part 10/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG

Plane / somewhere over China
01/04/2000, 2.26 a.m. (Japanese time)

Nightmares were haunting him. He was dreaming of Sydney, Raines, Lyle and Mr. Parker. All of them were chasing after him, trying to kill him, trying to pull the dying Miss Parker from his arms.
“Jarod, wake up, Jarod!!”
She softly slapped him into the face to draw him back into the waking world. He slowly opened his eyes and looked at her.
“You’re alive? Thank God.”
“Jarod, you’ve been dreaming. We only have about one hour left until we’re there. Don't you want to tell me what you have planned and who told you that Peking was flooded with sweepers?”
“It was planned to be like that. I knew that there was an information leak somewhere in the Centre. I was planned that we fly to Tokyo on January 2nd. I haven’t told you so I could be sure that it wasn’t you who was telling them. The thing with the man in our house was not planned but it came at the right time to make it sound more plausible to leave earlier and to blow up the house. I bought that house some years ago so I’d have a hiding place when I’d come back some day. It was a waste of resources, I know, but I never thought that they’d find us there. Well, a friend of mine was waiting for the Centre people at the airport in Peking. He gave them a scrap book and I hope they’re busy with that. Broots and Sydney were the only ones who knew about it. They were the only ones who knew that we were going to meet in Peking. So it has to be one of them.”
“Broots and Debbie are on their way to Tokyo. Do you think it could have been him?”
“No, he’s too scared of everything, it had to be Sydney. I hate to admit it, but it really had to be him.”
“Jarod, what are you thinking?”
“What?”
“That look on your face tells me your thinking about something you don't want to tell me.”
“I’m afraid. I’m afraid of what we might find out in Japan. That we might find out some connections we better don't know about.”
“That’s not it, Jarod, there’s something else.”
Jarod sighed and looked out of the window. Parker knew what he was thinking but she wanted to hear him saying it out loud. She knew him too well, he had to admit that.
“It’s Sydney. I can’t believe that he has betrayed us. And, yes, you’re right, there’s something else. Michael has found some of the files I’ve been searching for.”
“What files?”
Jarod got up and went to his silver suitcase. He took out a DSA and gave it to Parker. She looked at it and read the title.
“Jarod, what’s this?”
“It says that Angelo is your brother.”
“What about you?”
“I still don't know. We have to find out later, we don't have time for this right now.”
“What are your exact plans?”
Jarod wanted to find out if the information he had was right, if they were really killing innocent people, if they were really experimenting with pain causing medication. And he wanted to know who was the head of this outpost. He had the presentiment that it was someone he knew.
“Who do you think it is?”
“Someone we know. I don't want to be specific right now. We’ll find out soon enough.”
Without another word he got up and went back to the cockpit. Parker heard the two men talk but didn't want to join them.

Airport Kisarazu / Japan
01/04/2000, 3.01 a.m. (Japanese time)

“I never thought that we’d be able to land here. Kisarazu is not far from Tokyo. If we take a boat we’ll be there in half an hour or less. By car it’s longer, we had to drive all around the Tokyo Bay,” Michael said.
“I thought we wanted to go to Hokkaido,” Parker protested.
“We have to meet with Broots and Debbie first. We need to make plans. I can’t take you there by plane and you jump down. Broots and Debbie need a place to stay, a place where they are safe and where we can join them after our mission is completed.”
“You are really thinking of staying in Japan, are you, Jarod?”
“Oh come on, Parker. You know that there’s no place on Earth where we are safe. As soon as they know we’re still alive they’ll hunt us down, wherever we are. It doesn’t matter if we are in Japan, the US or Ouagadougou, they’d find us.”
“So where do you want to go? The moon or would you prefer Mars?”
“Come one, Parker, don't be childish. You know what I mean. We have to choose our identities and the place to stay very carefully, and that needs time.”
Parker sat in her seat, looking out of the window. She hated large cities, especially this one. It held so many bad memories for her.
“I’d never thought that having learned Japanese would do me some good. I always thought I would never utter a word in this language again,” she heard Jarod grin.
“Wonderful story, you’ve told them,” Parker said grimly.
“You’ve understood what I said?”
“Of course I did. I’ve been spending some of my college years in this oh so wonderful country.”
“You didn't like it?”
“Well, except for some romances I hated it. I always felt so deported, as if nobody back in Delaware wanted to have me,” Parker admitted, “Let’s just forget about it, we have other things to do.”
Jarod looked at her and then got up. He started gathering their belongings His silver suitcase in one hand, Faith and her basket in the other he climbed down the stairs.
The air was cool and a soft breeze was coming from the sea. The sky was full of stars and in the distance he could see the Tokyo skyline with all its lights. He imagined what it would be like visiting this city without knowing that they were trying to destroy one of the Centre’s outpost, trying to save a young man’s and a girl’s life and trying to save their own ass. Would everything look different? Would the air smell different? Would Parker be standing behind him, looking down at him from the top of the stairs? Would Michael be with them, trying to help them? Would he be here at all if it weren’t for the Habitat?

Plane / Somewhere over the Atlantic
01/03/2000, 12.26 p.m. EST
(the same time as before..)

Debbie was staring out of the window, her father sitting beside her. Broots was nervous, he was playing with the newspaper he had found on his seat.
“Daddy, why are you so nervous? We’re leaving.”
“I don't know, honey, it’s just—I’m frightened. I’m afraid that they’ll find us.”
“They won’t find us. We’ve checked in with other names, are on a different flight than planned, what can go wrong?”
“There are so many things we haven’t thought of, what they might be thinking of. I don't know, maybe it’s just me.”
“Everything will be fine,” Debbie said and took her father’s hand. Broots smiled and le go of the newspaper he’d been folding into a paper plane.
Chapter 11 by Chris
Disclaimer: see part 1.

Title: Turn Around Part 11/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG

Kisarazu / Japan
01/04/2000, 4.20 a.m. (Japanese time)

They had to share a hotel room. The only hotel they had found this early in the morning had only one room left so they’ve had no choice. Parker was sitting on the bed, Faith beside her. Michael leaned against the window and Jarod was marching through the room. He had told them his plans of where to meet Broots, what to do with him and Debbie.
“You mean leaving them with a family where he doesn’t understand a word they’re saying? It was bad enough for me in Germany but here in Japan? Poor Broots.”
“He’s no idiot, and they speak a little English. When we return we’ll get them and go to Brazil. I’ve found a wonderful place.”
“Brazil? The next way. Don't you think that Broots would like to accompany us?”
“And leave Debbie? No, Parker, he would never leave her alone. And take her with us is too dangerous. He knows that. And I don't know what happens up there. Maybe this outpost is much more dangerous than the Centre itself, who knows? I wouldn’t wanna risk anything. I don't even like the idea of you coming with us.”
“Thanks a lot. How do you plan to get there?”
“We take a boat to Choshi. Then we change to another boat and go all the way up to Kushiro. That’s on the east coast of the northern island. From there we have to go on by Jeep and later by foot. Still wanna come with us?”
“Of course. Stay here and let you have all the fun? No chance,” Parker smiled, “When are we gonna leave?”
“First we have to meet with that Mr. Broots and his daughter,” Michael interrupted, “Then we can start thinking about leaving. And, uhm, I wouldn’t mind if we found another hotel for the following nights.”
Jarod had to grin. He had seen it coming. Michael knew Parker better than she knew. She didn't recognize him. When Michael had been working at the Centre she had been a little girl and he had still been property of the Centre.
“It’s alright, this room is only for tonight, tomorrow we’ll search for another hotel. I wouldn’t mind my own bed instead of the ground.”
“Who said that you had to sleep on the ground?” Michael asked, “This is a large bed, the two of you can share it, I’ll take the couch.”
“You’re kidding, are you?”
“No, I’m not, Me--- Miss Parker, this bed is large enough for the two of you.”
“WHAT did you just say?”
“I said that the bed was large enough for the two of you.”
“No, before that.”
“I said that I wasn’t kidding.”
“YOU WANTED TO SAY MY NAME! Who told you my name?”
“You really wanna know?”
“Who told you my name?”
“You.”
“WHAT?”
“Hey, stop that, OK?? The two of you shut up and go to bed. Michael, you take the couch and I’ll take the ground. Miss Parker, the bed is all yours.”
“Why did I tell him my name?”
“Miss Parker, please, let’s talk about this tomorrow.”
“No, I want to know it know.”
“You were a young girl when you told me your name. It was before your mother died. Back in those days when everybody was allowed to call you by your name.”
“You knew her? You knew my mother?” Parker asked. Michael only nodded and suddenly he switched off the lights.
“End of discussion.”
“OK, now that the mystery of my name is solved,” Parker sighed, “Why don't you call me by that name? We’re not in the Centre anymore, the hierarchy is gone. I have to get accustomed to it again. I only hope that Broots won’t get it wrong.”
“He can live with it,” Jarod smiled into the darkness.
“Stop grinning,” Parker barked but had to smile herself. Somehow all the tension was gone. She shifted in her bed to get the dog out.
“Jarod, come on, I won’t bite. But don't come too near.”
He took the sheets he had wrapped around himself and laid down on the other side of the bed. It was dark inside the room but a little light from the street lights filtered through the curtains. Parker could see that he had taken off his shirt and was only wearing shorts. He turned his back towards her. Suddenly Faith jumped onto the bed again and curled up between them. Parker patted her head and left her hand on her neck. Suddenly Jarod turned around and wanted to fondle Faith’s fur. He felt Parker’s hand and snapped back. A shiver ran down her spine and she pulled her hand back.
“Sorry,” Jarod mumbled and turned around again. They didn't say a word just pretended to be asleep. What should she do? Try to ignore the growing tension between them? Try to ignore the looks he shot her when he thought she didn't realize? Try to ignore her heart? Yes. It was the only way to live with it. What if it turned out that they were brother and sister? It was too dangerous. They weren’t meant to be together, not as lovers, only as friends. They had to work together, there was no time for a romance. At least not now.

Kisarazu / Japan
01/04/2000, 12.03 p.m.

“I’ve talked to Broots. We’ll meet tonight. They’re nearly in Tokyo. I’ve told him where to go and we’ll meet him there. You know, I like this new hotel,” Parker said and looked around the room. They had an apartment with two rooms. One of them had to sleep on the sofa, but everyone had his own room.
“So, we have enough time to talk about our plans. Parker, I really don't like the idea of your coming with us. Your shoulder doesn’t look very good and we have to do a lot of walking. You can’t depend on painkillers the way you do now. There’s only a limited amount of what we can take with us and we won’t take a whole basket full of pills with us.”
“Jarod, first, I’m strong enough to survive without painkillers. And second, you wanted to call me by my first name.”
“I’ll never get used to it. It somehow sounds strange. I’ve called you Miss Parker nearly all my life. I can’t change that from one day to another.”
“Just try it, OK?”
“OK. Are you really sure you’ll make it? I’d hate to leave you somewhere in the woods because you broke down.”
“I won’t break down. Jarod you’re underestimating me again!”
“Meredith, I’m not underestimating you, I’m just trying to think the impossible.”
Michael came from the bathroom and grinned at them.
“The shower’s cold but whoever wants to b next, I’m finished.”
“What? Cold shower? I hate cold water! But I’m next.”
“No you’re not. You’re not taking a shower with your shoulder.”
“WHAT? But I want to take a shower!”
“Meredith, no arguments, you may wash your feet but no water near your shoulder!”
“My feet? Thanks a lot. I’d rather do nothing. If I may not take I shower I don't wanna see no water at all. The bathroom is all yours,” she said, pouting.
Jarod looked at her and then disappeared into the bathroom. Michael took a laptop from his bag and sat down at the table. Parker took the dog into her arms and sat down on the bed.
“Meredith, have look at this.” She didn't react as he called her by her first name. “Parker!”
Parker looked up.
“Have a look at this, Meredith.”
“I’m not used to hearing my own name,” she sighed and got up.
“These are the files I’ve found about the Habitat.”
“You’ve ‘found’ them? Where?”
“In the Centre mainframe. To be exact, in your father’s files.”
“My father’s files?”
Michael nodded.
“There was more I’ve found but I haven’t found a matching decryption sequence yet.”
He didn't want to tell her that he had found evidence of her not being his daughter but he had decided that it was too early to tell her. He wasn’t sure about everything. Of course, he had found the decryption sequence and the text itself was clear, but it was written in an ambiguous style. What if he told her that Mr. Parker wasn’t her father and then he found out that he was her father? Too dangerous.
Parker stared at the computer screen, she couldn’t believe what she was reading. They had to stop what was going on there no matter how high the costs. She was willing to sacrifice her own life for the sake of those who were caught inside. She realized that she had started to think like her mother. Save others, no matter what happens to you. Her mother had died for the children she had wanted to save.
Chapter 12 by Chris
Disclaimer: I do not own tP or the characters. They belong to NBC, MTM and TNT. I only dare to use them for my purposes. This is a piece of non-profit fanfiction, there are no copyright infringements intended. The character of Michael belongs to my imagination (even though he might have some things in common with MTW :-))

Title: Turn Around
By: Chris
Rated: PG

12/?
Jarod came from the bathroom and looked at the two, staring at the computer screen, the dog standing beside them as well. He approached them from behind and put his hands on Parker’s shoulder. She screamed in pain and Jarod realized too late that he had put his hand on the wound on her shoulder. She bit her lip, trying not to cry.
“I’m so sorry, Meredith!”
“Just do something to make it stop!!!”
“You’ve already had more painkillers than I can tolerate. I can’t do anything.”
“Make it stop!!!” she screamed at him, tears filling her eyes.
“I can’t!”, he screamed back.
She sank onto her knees, screaming out in pain, trying to bite her lip and stop the tears from falling. Jarod knew, that he couldn’t do anything to make it stop. He could give her more painkillers, but that would stop the pain only for a short time. Maybe she would fall asleep soon. He took a syringe from his black leather bag and injected the painkiller into Parker’s bloodstream. He helped her up and led her towards the bed.
“Lie down and try to sleep,” he told her.
She was still sobbing but she nodded. She was weak and Jarod was afraid to take her with him to find out more about the Habitat. She would break down if she had to walk for days. He could leave her with Broots and Debbie, but she would kill him for even thinking of that option. He could leave her while she was still sleeping, or somehow sedate her, but he had to think of Broots. And then there was the problem that only Parker knew exactly where they’d meet the next day. They had to take her with them. He felt Michael’s eyes on his back and turned around.
“I know that she’s too weak to accompany us, but we have no other choice,” he whispered and went into the other room. Michael followed him and they sat down on the sofa. Jarod sighed and leaned back into the cushions. He closed his eyes and felt Michael’s hand on his shoulder.
“We’ll find a way,” he said and Jarod looked at the older man thankfully.
“I feel responsible for her and I’d feel guilty if I left her behind.”
“Would you leave her behind somewhere in the forest if it would save our life?”
“NO! Never would I leave her.”
“Jarod, what if she breaks down and a sweeper team finds us? You had to leave her to save your own life. They’d bring you back to the Centre and that’d be the end of your freedom. If you left her behind you’d still be free. They wouldn’t do anything to her.”
“Michael, officially she’s dead. Nobody in the Centre would care what happened to her. To them she would be just another pretender.”
“She’s a pretender? I didn't know that.”
Jarod got up and walked to the cupboard. He took a glass and made himself a drink. He took another glass and filled it with the golden liquid. He handed the other glass to Michael and sat down on the sofa again. He sipped at his glass and went on talking.
“She’s a natural pretender just as I am. Her skills haven’t been trained yet and she doesn’t know how to use them. Sometimes they surface and she doesn’t know what to do. One day I’ll teach her how to use them, but that day has to come. Someday, when she trusts me completely and when I can be sure that she has no intention of returning to the Centre. I’m not quite sure now.”
“Jarod, do you love her?”
Jarod was silent or a moment, trying to find the right words.
“Yes, I love her, but only as I’d love a sister or a family member. Sometimes, when she stares at me and I feel as if I drown in her eyes, I think there’s something more. But that feeling is gone as soon as she looks away.”
“We don't have time to analyze your feelings for her right now, but you have to familiarize yourself with the prospect of leaving her behind.”
Jarod sighed and emptied his glass. He nodded and got up. He put the glass onto the table and peered into the bedroom where Parker was lying. She was pale but she was sleeping. Jarod took a blanket and covered her with it. The dog jumped onto the bed and curled up beside Parker. Jarod smiled and left the room again.
“She’s sleeping,” he told Michael and sat down in front of the computer.
“What are you doing?”
“I need to find out what they’ve been doing to Sydney. Broots said that he was taken into custody. I need to find a way to save him.”
“Jarod, you can’t do everything at the same time. You have to concentrate on the task in front of you.”
“I know that I have to find a save place for Broots and Debbie, that we have to solve the mystery of the habitat and save our ass at the same time. AND I have to find Syd.”
“Isn’t this is a little too much for one person? I know you’re trained in multitasking, but don't you want some help?”
Jarod smiled.
“Of course. I’ll get my own laptop. Maybe together we’ll find a solution earlier. I forgot that you’re familiar with the Centre.”
“It’s alright. Let’s get started. The sooner we start the earlier we’re finished.”
They sat quietly at the table, each working on their computer, trying to find where the Centre had brought Sydney and what they had planned with him. Jarod thought about sending an email to Broots, but he supposed that he had his laptop turned off because he wasn’t allowed to use it in the plane. He could have used his help but he had to be successful without him, so he asked Michael for his assistance.
“Michael, I need you to create a distraction in the Centre mainframe while I access Mr. Parker’s and Lyle’s files. Can you manage that?”
“Sure. No problem. Do you want a fire alarm or something more serious?”
“Something more serious, please. Something where really everybody is affected.”
“OK, I’ll see what I can do.”
Some minutes went by without a word then Michael started grinning.
“I’ve got an idea. What about an airborne virus?”
“Nice idea. Can you do that?”
“Sure. The I-love-you-virus is airborne, isn’t it?”
Chapter 13 by Chris
Disclaimer: I do not own tP or the characters. They belong to NBC and TNT. I only dare to use them for my purposes. This is a piece of non-profit fanfiction, there are no copyright infringements intended. The character of Michael belongs to my imagination (even though he might have some things in common with MTW ;-) )

Title: Turn Around Part 13/?
By: Chris, with help from Traci
Rated: PG-13

The plane to Tokyo
01/04/2000, 1.15 p.m.

Broots felt as if someone was watching him. He was still sitting in the plane, his daughter beside him, sleeping. He wondered what Jarod and Miss Parker would be doing right now and the most important thing, what Sydney would be doing right now. He was glad that he and Debbie had escaped but he wasn’t sure if he had only escaped the building but not the people in it. He didn't feel alone the way he did when he was somewhere in an unknown town. He felt that there was someone in the plane he knew. Be it in the way of a sweeper or someone else he knew. He looked down at his sleeping daughter and then shot a look down the corridor. Nearly everybody in the plane was asleep. He got up and went towards the toilet. All the time he thought that someone else would get up as well and follow him, but nothing happened. He closed the door behind him and the feeling was gone. When he came back to his seat Debbie was still sound asleep and nothing in the plane had changed. So maybe it was his imagination.

Hotel Room in Kisarazu / Japan
01/04/2000, 1.29 p.m.

Parker was still sleeping when Michael and Jarod finished their work. The virus had done its work and Jarod had all the information he needed, mostly from Lyle’s files, some from Mr. Parker’s. Sydney hadn’t betrayed him the way he had thought. Yes, he had told Raines what he had wanted to know, but only because he had threatened to kill him and his family if he didn't. Now it was time to think of a plan to save him. But first things first, they had to finish here first.
The phone rang and Michael looked at his wrist watch. It was half past two, only four hours from their meeting with Broots.
"Hello?"
"Jarod, this is Broots. We can't meet tonight. There is a sweeper team aboard the plane. Forget about us. Debbie and I will take our holiday and then return home. We have to find some other way to meet."
"Broots, let me talk to Debbie."
Broots handed the phone over to his daughter.
"Debbie, listen to me. You're an intelligent child. Do you think you can manage to live without your dad for a while?"
"Without my daddy? Why?"
"It is easier for us to save you first. The sweepers won't search for you, they'll follow your dad. Talk with him about it, I'll call you later."
He hung up without saying another word.
"Michael, there's another problem. There's a sweeper team aboard the plane with Broots. I have an idea how to save Debbie, but Broots must give his OK. Broots will return to Delaware in one week and Debbie has to stay with a family until it is save for Broots to leave again."
Parker opened her eyes and looked at them.
"What are you talking about?"
"There's a sweeper team aboard the plane with Broots. We have to get Debbie."
"A sweeper team? How have they found out?" She slowly sat up. "Broots changed plans on the airport, how could they have known?"
"I don't know, Meredith, but we have to find a way to save Debbie. You can't come with us, what about you looking after her?"
"I am going with you, no matter what you say. I am not looking after a girl in a city I don't know."
"I thought you spent some college time in Tokyo."
"OK, you're right, but I AM going with you."
"Parker, I am not willing to take the risk of having to leave you somewhere in the forest. I think we've had this discussion before."
She closed her eyes briefly and sighed.
"What do I have to do to convince you that I'm really fine?"
"Forget it. You're staying."
"OK. We forget this discussion. We're leaving tomorrow, I have enough time to rest until then."
Her voice was commanding and her blue eyes were piercing his. Jarod and Michael just looked at each other but didn't say a word. Parker was stubborn but they hadn't known HOW stubborn she could be. They dropped the topic and returned to other tasks.
Jarod wanted to take her with him but he was afraid that he had to leave her behind. His thoughts were interrupted by Michael. He was s till sitting in front of his laptop, staring at the screen.
"I don't know if you want to know this but I think you should have a look at this."
They came to stand beside him and looked at the written lines.

************************************CONFIDENTIAL**********************************
****FOR MR. PARKER ONLY****

It has been confirmed that Meredith Parker isn't your daughter. Her real father has been found and all evidence has been erased. Confirm that you have received this message and delete it as soon as you have read it.

The Triumvirate
***********************************************************************************

Parker's eyes grew wide and a glistening in her eyes told him that she was close to crying. He took her hand and squeezed it slightly.
"He knew it. Why hasn't he deleted the message as he was told?"
"It was deleted but I found a copy in Lyle's files."
"He knew as well? How old is this message?"
"It was written about a year ago.
"Everybody except me knew about it. Why?"
"Sorry, Meredith, but I can't answer this question," Michael said.
"I didn't want an answer," Parker barked and sat down on the bed again. She leaned back and closed her eyes. Jarod sat down beside her and looked down on her pale face. The dog was still lying there and sleeping.
"I know a place for Debbie and the dog. I agree on taking you with us."
She opened her eyes and looked at him, a smile playing around her lips.
"Tell me something I don't already know."

Jarod took the phone and called Debbie again. She and her father agreed that it was safe for the girl to stay in Japan while her father returned to America the next week.
"We'll be in Tokyo soon. See you then."
"Take care, Broots."
Jarod hung up and got up. Parker slowly rose from the bed as well and Michael switched off his laptop. It was time for them to leave the hotel to be in time to meet Broots.
They went to the harbour and took the boat, Jarod had rented earlier the day. It was planned to cross the bay and then take another rented car to the airport. Not the airport itself but a little hotel nearby where they would meet with Broots.

Parker looked pale when they reached the other shore but she was standing firm. She even resisted when Jarod wanted to help her out of the boat.
"I'm fine, I don't need any help."
Jarod didn't say anything he just shrugged and turned towards Michael who stayed aboard the boat with the dog to wait for their return.

The hotel was small and hidden behind some huge office buildings. They hoped that Broots would find them easily. When he finally arrived he looked pale and Debbie looked scared.
"We have to leave quickly. There seem to be sweepers everywhere."
"I'll bring you to the family where Debbie will stay for a while. What will you do, Broots?"
"Stay with her for a while, pretend to be on holidays and eventually go back to America. What about you? What are you planning?"
"I'll tell you when we're in the boat."
They stepped out of the hotel room and out of the hotel, always looking for sweepers. Parker hadn't said a word the whole time, Broots didn't mind, but it seemed peculiar to him. Debbie didn't talk much as well and she stayed beside Parker as if she sensed that Parker needed her.
When they arrived at the boat Debbie took Miss Parker's hand to help her in and Parker didn't resist. Jarod and Michael only stared at each other and then looked at Debbie who didn't seem to notice that everybody was looking at her.
"I haven't introduced Michael to you," Jarod said when Michael helped Broots to climb into the boat.
"I know him. He's been a sweeper at the Centre many years ago, right?"
Michael only nodded and took Broots' outstretched hand.
Jarod started the engines and they left the harbour. Parker was still staring at the shore and she was the only one who noticed that someone was watching them. The man seemed familiar to her but she didn't know who it was. He was no sweeper or someone from the Centre. Just an old man who was staring at the boat and especially at her. She turned away from the railing and sat down. Debbie sat down beside her and took her hand. Parker smiled and squeezed it slightly. Debbie smiled back. Broots who was sitting on the other side of the boat couldn't take his eyes of the two and smiled inwardly.
"Why are you here in Japan?"
"We are investigating something."
"What?"
"Broots, keep that for yourself, OK? It is said that there exists a sister company to the Centre here in Japan. Somewhere on the northern island. We want to find out if that's a rumor of if it's true."
"You don't expect me to come with you, do you?"
"No, you have to return to the Centre in a little more than a week, you don't have time for that."
"Thanks. I wouldn't have liked it anyway."
Jarod and Michael only smiled instead of an answer.

Maitreyi Chia Arava was standing at the door, watching the three men, two women and a little dog file out of the car. She had been told that the girl and the dog were to stay with her family for a while. Jarod had told her about the circumstances why she had to be away from home and why she had to be protected. It wasn't the first child she was taking care of for Jarod, but most of the children stayed with her until they were grown up and able to take care of themselves. The little girl was different. Her father was an employee of the Centre and wanted to flee but sweepers had followed him. She had no idea how they could possibly have found out that they had changed flight plans again but the Centre was a mystery. So Debbie would stay with her and her other five children until her father was safe and Maitreyi wanted to make it as easy for the girl as possible. Maitreyi looked at the woman closely. She looked familiar to her. The woman stared back.
"Maitreyi?"
"Michelle?"
Parker walked toward the Chinese woman and hugged her. Maitreyi did the same and Parker moaned.
"Are you alright?"
"Sure."
She bit her lip, once again trying not to scream in pain. Debbie looked at her, her eyes widened with fear. How should Maitreyi and Debbie know of the wound on her shoulder?
"Come on in everybody. There's no need to stay outside. I have prepared some tea."
They followed her inside. The house was small but nobody cared. The five children who were living with her disappeared into their room when Maitreyi told them so. It seemed as if they were trained to obey. Debbie couldn't decide whether she liked the woman or not. Parker knew her that made her confident that she would like her as well but something was there that made her conspicuous. Where was her husband? Where did all those children come from? Every child looked different. One had been black, two were Chinese, a girl had had white-blond hair and one had been like her. She looked around the room and decided that she would like it here.
Parker smiled down at Debbie, knowing what was going around her head. She had felt the same when she had been here. She had gotten refuge here for a few weeks as well, some weeks when her mother had decided that it wasn't safe for her daughter to be in the Centre. Parker put her hand onto Debbie's shoulder and smiled at her reassuringly.
Jarod sat down on the small sofa, putting aside a whole load of children's toys and books. He gestured the others to do the same.
"Mrs. Arava?" Debbie spoke up.
"Please call me Maitreyi like all the others, will you, darling?" she said, with no accent at all. Debbie had anticipated that it would be hard for her to understand everybody but Maitreyi almost sounded like being from Atlanta or somewhere around there.
"Where do all these children come from?" Debbie asked.
"Let Jarod explain that to you he knows everything much better than I do. I'll be in the kitchen."
She smiled and left the room.
"These children are here because they are safe here. They had to flee from the Centre like you do at the moment. And nobody from the Centre dares to look here or try to kidnap the children from here. Her husband's a diplomat and the house is heavily guarded even though it doesn't look like that. It is as safe as Fort Knox. The children all have special abilities. They are all little pretenders. They don't have developed their skills yet and have still much to learn but they have something in common with you. Broots, have you already told her?" he turned towards Broots, who only shook his head.
"Debbie, you have pretender abilities as well and that's why you're here with Maitreyi. She knows much and she can help you find these abilities."
"I'm a pretender?"
It was as silent as a grave and nobody dared to speak or even breathe until Debbie spoke up again.
"Why didn't anybody tell me?"
"We wanted to be sure before we told you that. It was safer for you not to know about it. Your dad didn't know it, don't blame him. I told him about the possibility only before Parker and I disappeared. And I asked him not to tell you until I could confirm it. I've found a note in Mr. Lyle's files that confirmed my suspicion. He knew about it as well."
"Jarod, does he know about me as well?" Parker spoke for the first time.
"I don't know. But I think so, yes. You were part of the red files and Lyle knows about these. We have to be careful."
Maitreyi came back into the living room with a large tray. It contained mugs with steaming tea and rice cookies which she offered to everybody in the room.
"Would you mind if I called the kids in as well?"
"I don't mind," Jarod said.
"Me neither," Debbie said and tried to smile.
Maitreyi called the kids and Faith tried to hide under Parker's legs when everybody wanted to pat her.
"Leave that poor little dog alone," Maitreyi said, "It will be here long enough. It will stay with Debbie. Now be good boys and girls and introduce yourselves."
"My name's Yuen-Yu," a Chinese looking girl said.
"Jack," the little black boy said.
"I'm Lisa," said the girl with white-blond hair.
"I'm Donna," said a girl and pointed towards the smallest of them, a little Chinese boy, "His name's Chow-Yun. He doesn't talk much."
Donna seemed to be the eldest of the children and her dark blond hair curled around her beautiful face. Debbie liked her and all the other children at first sight.
"It's tea-time. Everybody take a mug and sit down. We have to talk about important things. You all know Jarod. He has brought another girl and wants us to take care of her. Debbie and her dog will stay for a few weeks at most but we have to help her like we help every other child that comes to stay with us longer. You know what you have to do."
The children nodded and Donna got up. Without a word the other children followed her and left the room.
Chapter 14 by Chris
Disclaimer: I do not own tP or the characters. They belong to NBC and TNT. I only dare to use them for my purposes. This is a piece of non-profit fanfiction, there are no copyright infringements intended. The character of Michael belongs to my imagination (even though he might have some things in common with MTW J )

Title: Turn Around Part 14/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG-13

"Parker, get up, we have to move on. We don't have time for rest."
"I can't. Jarod, you were right, I should have stayed home."
"Nice, isn't it a little late for it?"
"Stop quarrelling, the two of you," Michael said, and helped Parker up, "We have no other choice but carry her. Let's hope nobody finds us."
The second he said it he heard distant voices. He let go of Parker's arm and ducked behind a bush.
"Do you think these are sweepers?"
"I don't know," Jarod whispered, "I hope they are just some tourists that have lost their way."
Jarod strained to hear what the voices were saying. Michael did the same, Parker just closed her eyes and tried to think herself away from this place. She nearly succeeded when Jarod took her by the arm and dragged her away. She sighed and opened her eyes. They were hurrying through the forest, trying not to make a sound. Jarod didn't have to strain his ears anymore to hear the other people in the forest, they were nearer now and he could hear them. They were shouting at each other, trying to find those "Who had violated the Habitat's property". What meant that the Habitat was real and that they had triggered some sort of proximity alarm.
"We run. We have a chance of escaping if we reach the end of this forest."
"Are you crazy? We have no chance if we take Parker with us. And if we run, they'll hear us. I'm sure they know where we are. They have night vision aids, they have seen us. They follow us until we step into some kind of trap and then they have three new guinea pigs."
"They're only using disabled people so far, we still have a chance."
A shot echoed through the darkness.
"Forget it, they want us. NOW RUN!"
Jarod dragged Parker behind. She didn't run, she didn't even move her legs.
"Parker, you have to cooperate. We can't escape if you don't -- Oh my God. Michael, wait. She was hit by that one bullet and it hit her right were she was stabbed by that knife."
"You know that the only way to escape is to leave her behind."
"No, I'm not gonna leave her!"
"Jarod, we can't carry her. And they seemed to know her well, the bullet hit her right in her wound, she's unconscious. If we take her with us, they'll catch us within minutes."
"We've had this discussion before. I'm not gonna leave her."
Jarod lifted her and carried her through the dark undergrowth. He was sure that they could be heard for miles, regarding the noise they made. The forest grew lighter and suddenly there was no more forest and they were standing at a beach. Jarod and Michael gasped and ducked behind a bush.
"Didn't you say that the building was somewhere in the forest?"
"I thought so -- How is she?"
"Not good. I can't stop the bleeding. She'll die if she doesn't get into hospital soon."
"If we leave her, Jarod, they'll take her into medical care, I'm sure. They're not hunting the two of us, they want her. They only wanted to be sure how much she knows."
"Michael, she had no idea of the Habitat until we told her on the flight. That can't be the reason."
"They didn't know that you haven't told her."
Their hunters reached the beach as well and simply had to follow the bloody trail Miss Parker had left. Without another word Michael jumped up and sprinted towards the water. the men shouted after him and tried to catch him, but they didn't shoot and let him escape. Maybe they hoped that the others would follow him as well. Michael jumped into the water and started to swim. Jarod hated to leave her but he saw that it was no use fighting against an armada of sweepers all on his own, and at the same time try to save Parker. He had to leave her, even if it meant that he would never see her again. Did he love her? Would he leave her if he knew that she loved him as well? Would he leave her if she -- No, stop thinking about HER but about yourself, he tried to tell himself. Jarod looked down at Parker and caressed her cheek and then jumped up and sprinted towards the water as well. They followed him and he thought to have heard a familiar voice, but he had no time to have a closer look. He jumped into the water and started to swim as well. Jarod heard one of the sweepers use his radio set. He said something about a boat, but Jarod didn't understand the rest. Then they all turned towards the place where he had had to leave Parker. He already had a bad conscience about having left her.
Suddenly the whole area was flooded with light. Jarod was thankful that he and Michael wore dark clothes, they could hardly be seen in the dark water. A helicopter touched the ground and another sweeper team climbed out. One of them carried Parker's unconscious form towards the helicopter. The beach was filled with people who were shouting and he guessed that it wouldn't be long until they came after them.
"We have to get out of the water again!" Michael whispered.
He dived down and without making any sound he disappeared into the darkness. Jarod followed him but not without looking back at the beach for one last time. They didn't hear the approaching boat and they didn't realize that the helicopter was still standing at the beach.

The whole thing had been planned. Perfectly planned. Lyle looked around and then went towards the helicopter, grinning broadly. He looked down at the unconscious form of his sister. He had known from the beginning of this whole play that she hadn't died in a plane crash. That would have been too much of a coincidence - to die in a plane crash after faking her own death in exactly the same way. He had done some major research and had found out that Raines had been responsible for her disappearance the first time. He had also found the results of the DNA test from that had been performed with the remainings of the corpse in the plane wreck. It had been a woman and her blood had a striking resemblance to that of his sister but only on first sight. Jarod had done a good job in faking the other results but only those who didn't really know his sister believed that she was dead. And Sydney knew her very well to not believe it. He grinned again when he had to think of the old man sitting in a cell in the Habitat.
Lyle wondered if his 'father' knew that Parker wasn't his sister and if he knew that he wasn't the father of both of them. Lyle had the strange feeling that her felt something for her, something like love. "Stop thinking about that", he told himself and turned away from the helicopter.
"What are you waiting for?" he barked at the sweepers who were standing at the beach, "Go and get them. I want them both - alive."
The boats approached the beach and their headlights searched the water's surface for Michael and Jarod but they were nowhere to be seen.
"Search for them!" Lyle barked, "Use helicopters, get diving equipment, use dogs, tanks, burn down the whole forest. Whatever. BUT FIND THEM! And someone take the woman to sickbay. She needs medical attention."
Chapter 15 by Chris
Disclaimer: I do not own tP or the characters. They belong to NBC and TNT. I only dare to use them for my purposes. This is a piece of non-profit fanfiction, there are no copyright infringements intended. The character of Michael belongs to my imagination (even though he might have some things in common with MTW J )

Title: Turn Around Part 15/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG


Jarod and Michael climbed out of the water and tried to catch their breath. In the distance they could still see the speedboats and hear the dogs but they thought themselves save for the moment . Michael had never thought that he would withstand such excessive fitness exercises but maybe his years in the Centre had done him at least some good. Jarod grinned when he saw that the speedboats had switched off their light. Maybe they had given up the search. Michael just shook his head and pointed towards a bright dot coming from the Habitat.
"The helicopter is coming back from the Habitat. They're starting their search from up above. We have to find a place to hide. They know this area like the back of their hands. We have to get away as far and fast as possible. We can't hide in a cave or something they know where they are. We have to make our way back to where we started. If possible even back to Tokyo."
"What about Parker? Michael, I'm not leaving her."
"You have already left her behind. You have to get rid of her in your thoughts as well. May sound cruel, but it's the only way to survive at the moment. I find it as hard as you to forget about her. But you have to remember Broots, Debbie and the little dog. Debbie is save but what about Broots? We have to help him maybe he can help us find Parker. Forget about her, Jarod. And now move your feet. We have to get going. They're coming nearer."
There was nothing else that Jarod wished than hitting Michael straight in the face for what he had just said. He new that he was right but it sounded wrong in his ears.

More than once the helicopter was above them, more than once they thought that everything was over but somehow they managed to get away. They left the woods at dawn, wandered through the night until they reached the shore and found a boat that would bring them back to Kisarazu where they would be "home". They slept the whole journey which took nearly two days. They had paid for their cabins and nobody had asked any questions. It was a freighter and nobody cared who they were. When the ship reached Kisarazu someone woke them up to tell them they had arrived and like being in trance they left the ship at the harbour, took a taxi and went to their flat where they both took a shower and went straight to bed to sleep another day through.


Unknown Place
01/06/2000, 4.05 p.m.

She stared at the ceiling, barely able to move. She didn't know where she was, neither who she was or what had happened. The room was sparely lit and except her bed and a table the room was empty. She tried to sit up but a sharp pain made it impossible even to breathe. She tried to lie still and tried to suppress the pain. When the pain slowly faded she focused her mind on her memories. She wanted to ask someone what had happened and where she was, but she was alone. All alone with herself - who was this self? The pain returned when she unconsciously wanted to shift to the other side. The world seemed to explode around her but nevertheless she heard an opening door. She saw a person dressed all in white moving towards the table. He placed a tray on it and then came to stand beside her bed. She felt the prick of a needle and the pain vanished.
"What happened?" she croaked. The man didn't answer. She heard his rasping breath and somehow felt as if she knew him. He left the room without a word. Parker wanted to get up but she couldn't feel her legs anymore. She tried to stretch her arm to reach the table. Too short. She sat up, still trying to reach the tray on the table. She lost her balance and fell to the ground. Her legs didn't want to obey. Her hands reached up to the table and grabbed for the glass on it - and missed. She gave it another try and her fingertips reached the tray. She pulled herself up, laying all her strength into her arms. She reached the glass her hand tightening the grip around it. Then suddenly she lost the grip on the table. The glass fell, the liquid in it spilling all over the table.
"Noo!" she cried. Some of the water was dripping over the tabletop to the ground. Parker tried to catch some of it but it was no use, the water was gone. But that man wouldn't take a tray for just a glass of water, there had to be something else.
There she sat on the floor dressed only in a light gown. She didn't see the face that was watching her through a window in the door, didn't know that she had been under constant camera surveillance ever since she had been brought into this room. She had no memories of the last days and no memories of the years she had once called her life. She didn't know that those memories had been taken from her by a man who was supposed to be her brother, supervised by a man who had called himself her father.
Her strength didn't come back and the warmth of her body seemed to crawl into the floor. She felt cold and alone. She tried to get back to the bed but she was too weak to move. She curled up on the floor and fell unconscious again. The door opened and two men dressed in white entered the room. They lifted her frail body and laid her back onto the bed. They left the room without another look at her and locked the door behind them. The face in the window looked at her one more time and then disappeared to leave her alone with the darkness and the cameras around her.

Even though she was unconscious she dreamed. Weird pictures without any sense, voices of people telling her to hold on, faces of people she thought she had never seen, faces that seemed vaguely familiar, voices that seemed familiar. Never ending dreams. A constant fear hidden somewhere deep inside her unconsciousness. Voices that seemed to come nearer. Cold hands touching her.

And then the dream was over and she was back with the living again. She stared at the ceiling an and from the corner of her eye she saw someone sitting beside her bed. Someone vaguely familiar but somehow a complete stranger to her. Who was this man? Who was she? It was cold inside the room. She remembered the tray on the table and looked over to where the table used to be. The room was different. There was no table and the little window was gone. The walls were bare concrete and the bed seemed somehow smaller.


Jarod's and Michael's place, Kisarazu
02/09/2000, 5.54 p.m.

The phone rang and neither Michael nor Jarod bothered to get up. They had spent the last night searching through every file the Centre kept concerning the Habitat. And there had been more than they had anticipated. The phone kept on ringing until Jarod got up and took the receiver.
"Hello?" he croaked.
"Jarod? We have to meet. Two hours at the market place of your town. Bring Michael."
The person had hung up before Jarod could have uttered a word. He woke Michael and told him about the strange call.
"Well, it's about time for us to get up anyway, why not now? Let's get going and meet that guy. Do you know him?"
"His voice sounded familiar but I have no idea who he was. I know that I know him but I can't tell you anything else."

Two hours later

"Jarod?" a voice whispered from the shadows behind him. Jarod and Michael turned around to see a huddled figure in the darkness. Jarod knew that his memory should be working right now but something was blocking him from recognizing the shadowy figure.
"She's still alive."
“Who?”
“Parker. She lives.”
"Can you imagine what you're doing to me?" Jarod asked the person standing in the dark corner. The person stepped into the dim light of the moon.
"I thought you'd recognize my voice", he said a little disappointed.
"Angelo??"
“No, Timmy. I'm here to help you."
"Angelo - Timmy, I've been living with the pain of having left her in the hands of Lyle and his men. Is she alright??"
"She is alive. I've seen her."
"What happened to her?"
"They have brought her to the Habitat after you had to leave her behind. She was weak but she survived. They have erased her memories and now they're making experiments with her." He hesitated a second. "Remember the Red Files?"
Jarod nodded.
"They were partially forged."
"I know."
"So you know that Lyle is not Parker's brother."
Jarod nodded hesitantly and turned towards Michael.
"Sorry, I haven't introduced you."
"No problem, we know each other," Michael said, "but I don't think those were happy moments we shared together. I think I have to apologize."
"There's no need to apologize", Timmy said and shook Michael's hand then he turned back to Jarod who was staring at the moon.
"Yes, Angelo, I know," he said not taking his eyes off the silver crescent moon. "We’ve found some files that said that you are her brother. Am I too?"
Angelo shook his head.
"No, I am her only brother. I was part of an experiment with Parker, that's were I got to know the truth. They used parts of her DNA to reconstruct my brain paths."
"Yes, I know, she's told me. What are they doing do her now?" Jarod whispered, obviously trying not to panic.
"I don't know, but we have to act quickly to save her. She's in danger."
For weeks he had been thinking of her being dead, that he'd never see her again. He had killed her. He had left her lying there, bleeding, dying alone, just because he had thought a sweeper team had found them.
Now everything was changed. Timmy had told him that she was alive but in danger, that the Centre would kill her with their experiments. And he hoped that he could save her, undo the pain he had caused her. Would he be successful? Would he be able to free her from the claws of the Centre? So many thoughts about her at the very same time. He had to stop thinking about her to be able to work efficiently with Timmy.
"Timmy, tell me, how did you escape? I was thinking about so many things I completely forgot to ask."
"The same way you did. They didn't think the brain reconstruction would work and I was able to move around freely. You told me once where the way out was. Remember? I wanted to find you and help you free Miss Parker. Tell her that - " Timmy stopped in mid-sentence.
"What?"
"Tell her the truth."
"You're not coming with us?"
"Yes, I am coming wit you but I am not sure if we make it out again. If there'll be trouble I'll do anything in my power to help you and Miss Parker get out. Maybe I won't make it."
"We will make it out together. The three of us."
"No," Michael protested. "I am not going in there. One has to stay outside to be able to free you when everything goes wrong. I am too old for such things. I am counting on you that you need only one go to find Parker and get her out. I'll wait in the boat until you return."
Jarod wasn't happy with leaving him behind but Michael was right, someone had to be their backup plan. They couldn't leave as soon as they wanted, they had to look after Debbie once more. The day after their return they had been with Maitreyi and her many children to see how Debbie was doing. She looked fine and was happy. She was worried about her father but she knew that Jarod, Michael and her father would find a way out of this situation if she only waited long enough. She had made friends with all the children in the house and she loved Maitreyi who loved her like a child of her own. Jarod hadn't been happy that he had to leave her again but Debbie had said that she would be okay. Tomorrow they would be going to see her again and tell her of their plans to rescue Miss Parker and after that they would find a way to save her father and Sydney who was still in Centre custody. Broots had sent a mail some days before telling them that he had seen Syd and that he was doing fine. Not fine in the sense of being happy but he was alive and was treated well. He wasn't able to send mails himself but he had ordered Broots to do so and tell everybody that he was alright. Jarod hoped that this was the fact and not some Centre methods to keep everybody away from him. Maybe this was even a method of bringing him back to the Centre. He didn't know and he knew that he had to think of this later when Miss Parker was safe from the Centre and the Habitat. Together they would find a way to free him as well. He hoped that they weren't doing experiments with him like they were doing with Parker, he was much older and not in the same great physical condition like Miss Parker. It would be possible that he wouldn't survive. He didn't want to think about it, it would make everything much more painful than it was right now and he needed a clear mind to focus on the tasks ahead.
Chapter 16 by Chris
Disclaimer: I do not own tP or the characters. They belong to NBC and TNT. I only dare to use them for my purposes. This is a piece of non-profit fanfiction, there are no copyright infringements intended. The character of Michael belongs to my imagination (even though he might have some things in common with MTW *g* )

Title: Turn Around Part 16/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG-13
Spoilers: none
Note: This one turns out a little shipperish but I promise to undo those things somewhere in the next chapters. So even the non-shippers may go on reading.

Kisarazu / Japan
Maitreyi's house
02/10/2000, 8.15 a.m.

The taxi stopped in front of the house and both Jarod and Michael got out each carrying a large basket filled with all kind of things for a nice breakfast. Maitreyi opened the door and let them in. The children were at school, except for Debbie who was allowed to stay at home. Maitreyi had been a teacher once and was teaching her instead of her going to school were everyone was speaking Japanese. Debbie had learned a lot of Japanese during the last weeks but it wasn't enough yet to go to school with the other's.
Jarod hated to tell her that she had to stay with her foster family for longer. Even though he knew that Maitreyi Chia Arava was a wonderful woman and Debbie liked her very much it was hard for him to leave her without her dad. She was still taking care of Parker's dog and loved the other children in the house who loved her as well.
"Jarod, I'll be fine, don't worry about me. Dad sometimes sends mails to me. He sends them to my mail account at school and Maitreyi has found a way to access my school account without the Centre being able to trace it back to my computer here. It's no problem, really."
"You're such a brave little girl, Debbie."
"Do I have another option? I can't just go back to America to see my dad. It might take while since we will meet again. As long as we both will be safe this way I will stay here."

Kisarazu / Japan
Jarod's and Michael's flat
02/10/2000, 12.15 p.m.

Their bags were packed and they were only waiting for Timmy to call. He had promised he would call and tell them the exact place where they would meet for their journey to the northern island of Hokkaido. Timmy had insisted on making the plans for their second trip and neither Jarod nor Michael had protested against that. Jarod was glad that someone else was responsible for organizing the whole thing because his mind was occupied otherwise. Since Timmy had told him that they were doing experiments with her he couldn't stop thinking about Parker. Would she be thinking of him? Would she be hoping that they would come to free her? Had she given up hope? He didn't know and to be true he didn't want to know it would make everything much more difficult. He tried to concentrate on the blueprints in front of him but somehow they disappeared to show him Parker's face the way he had seen her the last time - back on the beach near the Habitat - her skin ashen, with her eyes closed and so vulnerable. The Ice Queen had been gone. She had behaved like any other woman since he had found her unconscious in the house in the woods back in Germany. It had almost seemed to him like they were a family. Now that he was sure that she wasn't his sister he had even allowed his feelings to surface. Yes, he had admitted to himself, he loved her and he would always love her. No matter what happened. He knew that she had been brainwashed and that she might not remember him at all but his love would heal all wounds of that he was sure.
He felt a hand on his shoulders and looked up. Michael was standing behind him holding the phone in his hands.
"Timmy just called. There will be a boat waiting for us in the harbour at midnight. It's called Mayflower. It will bring us to Abashiri on the northern island where he'll be waiting for us."
"He's already up there?"
"He took a plane."
"Why don't we go by plane or by car? That would be much faster than taking a boat."
"The chances that anybody could see us are lower and we have the chance to take a last nap."
"We could have done that in a plane as well."
"I don't know why we are taking a boat. You'll have to ask him when we are up there. Oh and Timmy said something about Sydney."
"Sydney? How is he?"
"I don't know, Timmy said something about Romeo and Juliet?"
"Who said that? Timmy or Sydney? What exactly did he say?"
"Something about Scene II Act II and the first sentence."
"Exactly that?"
Michael nodded and Jarod grinned.
"Then Sydney's alright. It was a hidden code we had when I was young. Do you know Romeo and Juliet?"
"No, can't quite remember it. I had to read it when I was a young boy at school but that's a long time ago. What does it mean?"
"The first sentence of that scene is 'He jests at scars that never felt a wound'. It means he is alright. The scars are still visible but he feels alright. He's a psychiatrist after all and knows all about Raines' methods. He knows how to protect himself. Maybe he's bruised and battered but his mind is shielded from harm. Maybe he makes them believe that he's broken but his mind is as strong as it has always been. Maybe even stronger now. Did Timmy say whether he's free or still held captive at the Centre?"
"No, he didn't say anything about it. Does it matter at the moment where he is? The main point is that he's alright. We have about 11 hours to get ready. I think we have to hurry to get all the things that are on the list Timmy has sent to us."
"List? What list?"
"He mailed a list to us. Things we need and things he needs. Let's get ready."

Abashiri / Japan, Northern Island
02/12/2000, 8.28 a.m.

The ship docked and Jarod and Michael left the boat together with the few other people that had been onboard. Each carried a huge duffle bag. They were dressed like all the other people who left the ship according to the cold weather in warm jackets. Michael saw Timmy standing at a corner to their left and with a nod of his head told Jarod to walk over to him.
"Fine to see you again. Let's leave quickly. I don't know if sweepers from the Habitat are doing controls in this area. I have a car waiting nearby. We have to hurry, I have heard that Raines has come to Japan. That means nothing good. From here we're going eastwards first to a little harbour and than we'll go on by boat to where the Habitat is. The last miles we'll have to walk. Michael will stay in the boat and wait for us and hopefully bring us back safely to the airport where a plane will be waiting for us to go back to Tokyo where we'll pick up Debbie and then off into safety."
"You think everything will work as smoothly as planned?" Jarod asked.
"I hope so. Now let's go."

The Habitat / Japan
02/12/2000, 7.52 p.m.

Timmy and Jarod had been crawling through ventilation shafts what seemed like hours. Timmy stopped and told him to look through one of the ventilation openings. He didn't recognize her at first, she had changed so much. Her hair was longer and pulled back into a tail, her body was thinner than ever, her face was ashen and her eyes - Jarod had to fight back the tears. Parker had a black eye and a scar down her temple. Her eyes looked like those of a hunted deer, large and black but with no focus. She was sitting on a bed, curled up like a baby, leaning against the wall and staring into nothingness.
"Parker, oh my god", Jarod whispered. He wanted to say something else but felt Timmy's hand over his mouth. Timmy gestured towards the door which was just opening. Raines and a man he didn't know entered the room. Jarod watched Parker as the two approached her. She curled up into a tight ball, her hands covering her head. The man grabbed her by her upper arm and pulled her out of her corner. She didn't scream or cry and she didn't resist. It looked as if they were dragging a doll through the room. They moved out of sight. Jarod wanted to crawl to the next ventilation opening but Timmy stopped him.
"They'd hear us", he whispered.
Jarod was nervous and could barely sit still. A sharp scream echoed through the silence and Jarod jumped. He hit his head at the ceiling. It made a dull sound and the two men down in the room looked up. Raines said something and the other man turned back to the unseen part of the room.
"What are they doing to her?" Jarod whispered.
"I'm not sure you're fit for hearing it. Tell ya later when we're outside."
Raines and the other man dragged Parker back towards the bed. Again they held her by her upper arms, her body was limb as if she were unconscious. They laid her on the bed and left the room without another look.
"We've gotta do something to get her out of there!" Jarod wanted to get out of the shaft immediately and take Parker with him.
"No, wait, they'll return in some minutes."
"They're not done? What else are they doing to her?"
"They'll be returning soon, let's get out here fast."
Timmy crawled back into the direction where they had been coming from and Jarod followed him reluctantly.

They reached the outskirts of the Habitat and crawled out of the shaft.
"Didn't they think about securing the shafts after they knew we escaped through them back at the Centre?" Jarod said.
"I don't know. They still think we've escaped through some hidden corridors I haven't found yet. I've overheard Raines and Mr. Parker talk about them once but I haven't found them. They're somewhere on SL 27 and one of them is supposed to lead to a hidden laboratory under the sea."
"Under the sea? I didn't even know such a laboratory existed."
"It's fairly new. They built it about two years ago for a new pretender project."
"A lab just for a little boy? He must have been special." Jarod asked surprised.
"No, but he was supposed to be Raines' project and that alone made it special. Raines hates you for stealing him his project, you know?"
Jarod smiled a little.
"We've gotta go. I think we've tapped into one of their security grids."
"What?"
"Someone's at that window up there", Timmy pulled Jarod at his jacket and moved away fast, "It's not long until they use flashlights and dogs to find those who are walking around their grounds."
They ran along the beach until they reached the first trees. They looked back and saw the Habitat being lit up brightly, people running around, searching.
"You know the Centre people much better than I do", Jarod admitted after having watched the search parties for a minute.
"I've been there much longer than you have and I've learned a lot of things about their security systems and other things."
After a moment of silently moving through the forest Jarod said: "Didn't they want to restore SL 27 for their experiments?"
"It was planned at first but then it was only camouflage to distract Sydney, Broots and Parker from the under sea lab. They still don't know."
As they ran through the dark night towards Michael and the waiting boat Jarod couldn't stop thinking about Parker and the sea lab.
"Timmy, can you tell me more about this lab in the sea?" he asked to distract his thoughts from Parker.
"It's build about 100 yards out in the sea, connected with the main building by a tunnel."
"It has only one exit?"
"No, it also has a watering bay. You can escape through the sea in case of an emergency. It's about 35 feet under the water, so it's possible to survive without diving gear."
"You know very much about it."
"I've been there once. I don't quite know the way."
"Am I mistaken to guess that the corridor is heavily guarded?"
"No, Jarod, you're right. They have video surveillance and a laser grid. It's hard to get in and once you're in it's hard to get out again - alive or not in custody. What do you want in there?"
"I don't know but somehow I have the feeling that they're going to move everything from here back to America and the Centre.. The fact that I've seen Raines makes me even more suspicious. When will we come back here again?"
"Tomorrow. I have my informants inside the Habitat they'll tell me what's happening."

The Habitat, SL 23
at the same time

"Now tell me what I wanna know!" Raines barked.
"I don't know!" Parker whimpered.
"You do, tell him!" a voice said from the door.
"What are you doing here in Japan?" Raines asked, his face ashen.
"I wanted to know how your experiments are working", he answered.
"You knew about this project?"
"Of course, I do. I know everything that's going on in the Center. So, how is it going?"
"Not very good, Mr. Parker. Sir, she's your daughter, don't you care what we're doing to her?" Raines whispered.
"She's not my daughter and no, I don't care what you're doing to her as long as you don't kill her. These experiments save lives."
The door opened and a sweeper entered the room. The same moment Parker's head lolled back and she nearly fell off the chair. Mr. Parker caught her by the shoulder.
"Take her to her room, she won't answer anymore questions today," he said to one of the sweepers who took her and carried her out of the room.
"Mr. Raines, Angelo has been here. One of the surveillance cameras has seen him", the other sweeper who was still standing in the door said, trying to control his irregular breath.
"We've gotta move that girl outa here. Best would be the sea lab over in the Centre. Prepare everything. We move out of here as soon as possible. We leave everything to the local workers. They know how to run the facility without us. The plane will lift off as soon as everything and everybody is onboard."
"But Mr. Parker, the sea lab isn't fully operational", Raines protested.
"Then we'll make it operational as soon as possible. Take everything from the other rooms with you and then go. NOW! And remember, we're not coming back."
"Yes, sir."
Mr. Parker turned to the sweeper who was still standing at the door.
"Is Angelo still inside the building? Did anyone see him?"
"Nobody except the camera. But someone has tripped into the security grid outside. It might have been him."
Raines instructed his team and they went to the room where Parker was. Mr. Parker looked at them until they disappeared behind a corner then turned back to the sweeper.
"You don't want to tell me that he got away, do you?"
"Well, uuh, actually, yes. We still haven't found him."
Mr. Parker left the room without another word and went to the other room. Raines and his team had taken everything with them, except Parker herself. She was still lying on the bed, unconscious. Mr. Parker looked at her.
"You have to forgive me", he whispered, "I'm denying your being my daughter and they're hurting you. But I can't afford to loose my job here at the Centre."
Chapter 17 by Chris
Disclaimer: I do not own tP or the characters. They belong to NBC and TNT. I only dare to use them for my purposes. This is a piece of non-profit fanfiction, there are no copyright infringements intended. The character of Michael belongs to my imagination (even though he might have some things in common with MTW *g* )

Title: Turn Around Part 17/?
By: Chris
Rated: PG-13
Spoilers: none
Note: This one turns out a little shipperish but I promise to undo those things in the next chapters. So even the non-shippers may go on reading.


A plane
somewhere over the Pacific Ocean
02/12/2000, 10.37 p.m.

Raines was sitting in a corner trying not to look at Mr. Parker who was looking down on his unconscious daughter. They had packed in record time and the Centre jet had lifted off in no time leaving nearly no trace of them ever having been in the Habitat. On one hand Raines was proud of his team that they had done such a good work on the other hand he felt embarrassed by Mr. Parker. Parker had known his every step while he had thought to be all on his own without anyone watching him. He had been wrong and had made a fatal mistake. He had used Meredith as his guineapig. He had left her without her memories, left her without knowledge of her heritage, thought he had left Mr. Parker without the knowledge of Meredith still being alive. He had thought so while Mr. Parker had watched his every step. He had also worked with Lyle. Lyle. He must have been the one to tell Mr. Parker his every move. Lyle had done great work. He had been the one to stab Miss Parker and implanted the tracing mechnism into the wound. But Jarod had found it and destroyed it. The only thing Lyle had wanted was to catch Jarod. Now he had another tracing mechanism. He had Miss Parker and Jarod would follow. If she would escape – and she would, he had made sure – there was a mini tranceiver implanted in her upper arm. They could find her easily and catch Jarod with the same move.
Mr. Parker watched Raines and had to smile. Raines had a bad conscience about using his daughter as a guineapig. He knew that it had been wrong to deny Parker being his daughter. She wasn't his daughter but he had sworn to keep it secret until the Triumvirate gave him permission to reveal her real heritage. He had given Raines permission to finsish his experiments before bringing her to her new room in the undersea lab. From there she would escape and start wandering through the world without knowing who she was. And finally Jarod would find her and they'd have both pretenders in the Centre.


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
Date time

"Give it up, Em, you're not in the condition to resist it!"
"I am", she simply said and looked away. Raines was standing next to her, an injection in his hands. Parker bit her lip. Why was Raines such an -- RAINES?? She knew his name? Suddenly everything was back: She was in the Centre, this was Raines, the man by the door was Mr. Parker and she was Meredith. But what was she doing here and what was her family name?
There were so many names in her head but she didn't know where to put them: JAROD, FAITH, DELAWARE, RUSSEL, TOKYO, FENIGOR, LYLE, IWANOVO, CATHERINE, ANGELO, WILLIAM, SAM, SWEEPERS, PEKING.. How should she sort things out? Where should she start? Tell it to Raines that she knew who she was, who he was? She thought better not to. She was jolted out of her thoughts by the prick of the needle on her upper arm. She was waiting for the pain to start as it usually did but nothing happened. She turned her head back to Raines and looked at him. He said nothing and he wasn't even looking at her. She followed his gaze. He looked at Mr. Parker who nodded slightly.
Raines untied her from the examination table and made her stand up. The first thing she thought about was running, but her knees were wobbly and she saw the guards at the doors.
"We leave you on your own now, Em", Raines said and left the room. The others did the same, except Mr. Parker. He was still standing at the door, looking at her.
"Come with me, Angel."
ANGEL? Why was he calling her angel? She sighed and followed him through the dark corridors. Suddenly he stopped and took her by the hand. She stiffened and tried to resist the urge to pull back her hand. He led her into another room. She stood in the doorframe, looking at the room. Parker stood behind her. His hand caressed her hair and suddenly he was gone, the door fell close behind her. She heard a key being turned and then there was silence.
Somehow she had the strange feeling that she knew the elderly man. She started to explore the new room. There was a bed, a small table, a chair and - a mirror. She slowly walked over to the other wall and looked at her image in the mirror. A sharp scream escape her lips. That ghost was her? Pale, bony features, large blue eyes and long brown strands of hair around her face. She stared at the image in utter amazement. Somehow she had thought that she looked different. In her head she had had a picture of a woman with rosy cheeks, dark red lips and blond hair - not that woman with black shadows under her eyes, the thin line that was the only thing to be seen from her lips. She had no memory of the origin of the scar which ran down her left temple right to her cheekbone.
She looked away from the mirror towards a window. She pulled back the curtains and closed her eyes for a moment. When she opened them again she hoped the image would've been gone, but it was still there. No blue sky with clouds or green grass and trees. Nothing. No, not nothing but a dark blue and green something. A little light filtered through it and lit her room sparely. What was out there? She tried to open the window but it was stuck. She pulled harder and with a sharp click it opened.
Suddenly water was everywhere. It pushed inside through the now open window. She was caught by the power of the water and fell to the ground. She tried to stand up again to close the window. The water came pouring in and she already stood in the water up to her thigh. The water was icy and she was wondering why she didn't feel cold.
The water was nearly up to her chin when she finally managed to close the window by diving down, using all her strength to push it close.
Why didn't the water subside? A normal door wasn't fully close and the water level should have sunk by now, even if it were only a little bit. The room had to be somehow prepared for her and all possible escape routes for the water had been erased. The water would stay in here forever. Why didn't the feeling of betrayal subside? Why did she have a bad conscience about something she had no idea about? She would stay in here until someone would come here and take her away or she would stay in here until she would die. The feeling of an upcoming danger didn't go away. The water would eventually rise and she would die. She wouldn't get away from this place alive if she simply waited for something to happen. She had to plan her escape. She had to get out of here. She had to do something to get out of here and to get her memory back. She had to find a way to get her life back before it was taken from her.
Chapter 18 by Chris

Disclaimer: I do not own tP or the characters. They belong to NBC and TNT. I only dare to use them for my purposes. This is a piece of non-profit fanfiction, there are no copyright infringements intended. The character of Michael belongs to my imagination (even though he might have some things in common with MTW *g* ) Shakespeare belongs to himself (of course) and I only borrowed 'Romeo and Juliet' from him (I'll give them back later and ABSOLUTELY unharmed. I can't guarantee that for Parker and Jarod *g*...)

Title: Turn Around Part 18/?
By: Chris
email: kylaparker@hotmail.com
Rated: PG
Category: S/A/P
Spoilers: none
Keywords: MPJR / MPJF


The Centre
Blue Cove, Delaware
Same place, three minutes later

She had to get out of here. She didn't know how far under the water the building was, but she hoped it wasn't too far down. The light was still shining through the water a little and she hoped she could do it. She breathed deeply and tried to fill her lungs with as much air as possible. Another thought came to her mind - the ventilation system. There had to be some kind of it because there would have been an over-pressure inside this room. But this would be too dangerous. She had no idea where the ventilation shafts were leading and maybe she would end up even deeper inside the Centre. No, the window was her only chance to escape.

IN, OUT, IN, OUT, IN, OUT, IN - NOW! She held her breath and dived down to the window. It opened easily and she slipped through the opening. She swam towards the light. She saw bubbles of air rising up to the surface and focused on getting up to the surface as soon as possible. Air was getting short and she was still meters away from the surface. She tried to hurry when she felt something at her foot and tried to kick it away. AIR ! OXYGEN! She reached the surface and sucked in air. The thing at her foot was there again and suddenly she felt a hand closing around her ankle which pulled her down. She kicked at the person again and suddenly he was gone.
"Forget it, Parker!", was the first thing she heard when she reached the surface again. She sucked in air before she turned her head to see who had been talking to her. On a boat nearby were Raines and another man. So everything about her "escape" had been planned! And he was calling her Parker?! PARKER! Some more things came back to her mind. She was Miss Parker, the elderly man had been her father. But what the hell was she doing in the Centre? They had used her for their experiments as punishment for her breakout. She had tried to escape from them and they had caught her again. She tried to remember what had happened but she didn't come further than the experiments. What had happened before? She had no idea but she knew that she better started to swim so they wouldn't get her again. She started to swim as if her life depended on it - and it certainly did.
Raines called after her but she ignored him. She heard a shot - were they trying to kill their guinea-pig after using it? She tried to increase her speed when she heard another boat approaching. It stopped between her and Raines' boat.
"PARKER!" She knew this voice. JAROD. She turned around and swam towards his boat. She heard the engines of the other boat and thought that they were giving up. From the corner of her eye she saw a movement and then heard a shot. She felt a bullet hitting her arm. *Not now!* a voice inside her screamed. She was so close to freedom! She heard another shot and then everything went black around her.
"NOOOO!" Jarod yelled. He had a gun as well and started firing on Raines. A bullet hit Raines' oxygen tank and it exploded. In a ball of fire the boat began to sink. A sad smile played around Jarod's lips as he jumped into the water and dived after his loved one. Michael had wanted to stop him but all that was left for him to do was waiting inside the boat. Jarod caught her arm and dragged her towards the surface. They pulled her into the boat and glanced towards the other, sinking, boat. He looked at the Centre. A wonderful building, but connected with so many bad memories. He leaned over Parker and examined her. Parker was lying on a blanket, unconscious, blood all over her body. One bullet had hit her arm. He ripped his shirt sleeve apart and pulled it around the wound. The other bullet had hit her from the back and was still inside her body. This scene of her lying unconsciously on the ground reminded him strangely of the same scene back in Japan months ago. But he had abandoned her then, now he was taking her with him into safety. He tried not to move her any more than he already had and laid a blanket over her to keep her from freezing. He motioned Michael to start the boat and he drove away at a deadly speed. Away to the marina where Timmy was waiting with the Jeep. It had been easier to find Parker than he had thought. Too easy. Something had to been done to her so they would be able to trace her. He had to find a way to find the tracing device. It couldn't be that easy. The boat with Raines had sunk and nothing had come up to the surface. He suspected that something was down there that had rescued them. He had seen a diver underneath Parker who had tried to pull her back down. He had to assume that they were still alive and that they would increase their efforts to find him.

"Saint Francis be my speed! How oft tonight have my old feet stumbled at graves! - Who's there?"
"Here's one, a friend, and one that knows you well."
"Bliss be upon you."
"How are you, Sydney?"
"They treat me well. Not like a prisoner but not like a guest as well. I am alive that's all that counts. How is everybody?"
"Fine. Can't talk much longer. Take care, Syd!"
He hung up before it would be too late and the Centre would have located him. He had run this call over 8 satellites and several other stations and into the Centre where he had asked for Sydney. He didn't know why they had let him speak with his fatherly friend, maybe they hoped to find him. Well, he knew now that Raines and Mister Parker weren't at the Centre anymore. He didn't like to cite Shakespeare too often but Sydney had taught him a lot about hidden codes in old plays. And Romeo and Juliet definitely was one of Sydney's favourites. Whoever was in charge at the Centre must have told Sydney that Miss Parker was dead. He hoped that he had gotten the hint that Parker was still alive. He was looking down on her. She was in hospital. Even though they were far away from the Centre - they had fled to Ohio - he doubted that they would be safe for long. He still hadn't found a tracing beacon. But maybe they could stay long enough for Parker to recover. She had been shot more often than the heroes in bad movies and he didn't really want to know what they had done to her while she had been held captive at the Centre. The scar in her face didn't look too good even though it made her look interesting. She needed some time off. Holidays on a faraway island with lots of good things to eat so she would get stronger again and lots of time to spend in the sun so she wouldn't look so pale anymore. But those things were far away. First he had to find the tracing device and he had to create new identities for the four of them. Michael would be easiest to cover, he didn't have a too intensive history with the Centre. Timmy would be harder sow would Parker. He would be found wherever and whoever he was - that was something the Centre would make sure. He never had had holidays and he had never been on a tropical island. Maybe it was time for that?!
But before they could simply disappear they had to free Broots and Sydney from the Centre, find new identities for them and most importantly bring Debbie from Japan back to the United States. She would need a new identity as well. She would be - along with Parker and himself - someone the Centre would be hunting because she had pretender abilities. She had no idea which abilities she had and how to use them but she would be trained and maybe she could use those abilities to help others like Jarod did himself.

  

tbc

This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=719