He Runs, She Chases by Schmidt
Summary: Gotta read it
Categories: Post IOTH Characters: Broots, Jarod, Lyle, Miss Parker, Mr Raines, Sydney
Genres: General
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 6801 Read: 19336 Published: 28/08/05 Updated: 28/08/05

1. Part 1 by Schmidt

2. Part 2 by Schmidt

3. Part 3 by Schmidt

4. Part 4 by Schmidt

5. Part 5 by Schmidt

6. Part 6 by Schmidt

7. Part 7 by Schmidt

Part 1 by Schmidt
Disclaimer: I don’t own the pretender and everything’s used without permission.


He Runs, She Chases
part 1
By Schmidt



January 17th 2002, 9:30 a.m.
A graveyard outside Blue Cove, Delaware


“In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Amen.”

A Catholic priest fast said his text and then turned to leave. He was standing in front of a grave. On the gravestone was written the name of Mr. Parker and the name of his wife Catherine Elaine Parker. Opposite the priest there was standing a group of about fifteen people. Most of them were Sweepers from The Centre, the other persons were Mr. Raines, Mr. Lyle and Miss Parker. After the priest was gone, Mr. Raines, a.k.a. Able Parker, ordered:

“Let’s go”

and everyone followed his instruction and left the graveyard. Except for Miss Parker. She just kept standing there in front of her parent’s grave, but nobody seemed to notice her. When everyone was out of sight, she got closer to the grave. In her bright eyes you could see a very deep pain. In her mind she asked herself, why all of this had to end this way.

“Why?”, she whispered“ Why have you gone? Gone, without telling me who I really am, who my family really is?”

After a short while of just standing there, she slowly left the graveyard as well.


January 17th 2002, 9:45 a.m.
London Airport, London, Great Britain


Jarod was sitting on a seat in the entrance hall of the airport. He was phoning somebody. While doing so he checked his ticket.

“I’ve a question. Well, has a woman named Margaret been at your hospital, lately?!”,

he asked hopefully and then continued:

“No, but she’s scarlet hair, if that may help you.”

He rose from his seat and started walking around.

“Why I have to know that? Well, see, that women is my mother and I’ve been looking for her for a really, really long time and…”

Suddenly the hopeful look on his face turned to a sad one.

“So, you don’t know, wether she has been at your hospital…That’d be very kind of you…Okay, then, you’ll call me if you have some news…You do have my number, haven’t you?…All right. Thank you very much.”

The moment he broke the connection a loud female voice shouted: “Last call for flight 749 to New York City, the passengers are asked for get into the plane now, thanks.”
Jarod took his bag and walked toward the gangway.


January 17th 2002,12:15 a.m.

“Sydney!”, Broots run without knocking in into his colleague’s office.

“Calm yourself down, Broots.”, the elder man replied,“ What’s wrong?

“Mr. Raines and Mr. Lyle, they, they’re…”

“Yes? What’s wrong with them?

“They, they’re just back at their usual work!”, he almost screamed,“ They have just gotten back to normality, as if nothing had happened, as happy as ever. I-I mean Mr. Parker was their relative, Syd!”

After a short while of silence Sydney answered:“ Broots, I wanna tell you something. There’s a unwritten rule at The Centre. And this says: What’s a human life worth, if you can get more power and money?”

“I think you are right, as terrible as it is. It’s just so…”

“Yes, it is”, Sydney interrupted the upset man,“ but hey, it’s The Centre, isn’t it? Another subject, have you seen Miss Parker today, Broots? I’m really worried about her.

“Yes, I’m too, but it’s her fa… his funeral, I thought, she’d stay at home. Um, oh, do you think she comes?”

“She comes!”, a strong voice behind them answered. Broots and Sydney immediately turned to face Miss Parker. “You aren’t at home, M-Miss Parker?”, Broots asked carefully. ”Broots, stop asking these silly question and tell me if you have any clue on ‘Mr. I taunt The Centre’ ”After taking a short look at Sydney, a scared Broots replied shyly: “There’s a c-clue on him in C-Cincinnati, but I haven’t checked it y-yet, Miss P-Parker.” With her usual politeness Miss Parker answered: “What’re you waiting for, then. We don’t have all day time. You’ve gotta do!”

After getting exact instructions from his boss, Broots left. Miss Parker walked to the door out of Sydney’s office too, when the psychiatrist suddenly asked: “How are you, Miss Parker?” “Oh, I felt never better, thanks for asking.”, she replied sarcastically.

“Why don’t you ever trust the few people who really want to help you, Parker?”

“Sorry, Syd, I know you only wanna help me, but…I really need to be alone now. Alone with myself. Do you understand?”

“Yes, I do and you can always come to me if you have a problem anyway.”

“I know that, Sydney and I’m really grateful.”

Before she finally left Miss Parker gave him one of her rare smiles.
Part 2 by Schmidt
Disclaimer: I don’t own the pretender and everything’s used without permission.


He Runs, She Chases
part 2
By Schmidt



January 17th 2002, 17:45 p.m.
Miss Parker’s house
Blue Cove, Delaware



After a not very long time at The Centre, Miss Parker came home early. The whole afternoon she had been left alone by Sydney and Broots, as she’d wished. That had given her time to think of the events of the last few days and months. To think of Ethan, her father, the revelations about her family which she’d made on that island, the moment between her and Jarod in front of Ocee’s fireplace…and of course the scrolls. At times like today she’d’ve given a lot to know, what they would have said, what her future would be like.
Usually a workaholic she was happy to be at home today. Just in the moment she opened her front door, her phone started ringing.

“What?”, she said as her usual greeting, but without the normal power in her voice.

“Sounds as if you haven’t had a nice day, Miss Parker.” It was Jarod. He was the only living person who ever dared to phone her after work.

Although the last conversation she had with him, after the returning from Carthis, was one without the usual arguing between them, she now got back to her old style. “Today was my fa…his funeral. Already forgotten, Genius?” “No, of course I haven’t forgotten, but I wished you’d’ve.” “What the hell do you mean, Jarod?” “I think you know exactly what I mean, Miss Parker.”

“Listen, Wonderboy, I’m really not in the mood to play games, so if you don’t wanna tell me what you mean, then that’s okay for me. Believe it or not, but I don’t give a rat’s ass. So, stop these damned calls and leave me alone, understood?!?”
Every other person would angrily or fearyly brake the connection, but Jarod didn’t. He knows her too well, knows that she always tries to hide her own pain and problems in impoliteness. So, he didn’t give up.

“I only meant, you should stop thinking of the few food remembrances of your father and realize, that he was just as the other men from The Centre. For example like Mr. Raines or that son of a bitch Lyle. He was just a murderer and a liar, just a man a human’s life counts nothing for. You’ve got to realize that finally!”

“How dare you to tell me what I shall do and what not. I am very well able to decide on my own, okay? I don’t need you or any of your silly advices or anybody’s advice. I repeat it, especially for you, although you’re the genius: I CAN DECIDE ON MY OWN; WHAT I DO OR NOT AND WHAT I THINK OR NOT!”

Even he usually doesn’t Jarod now got angry too.
“Oh, really, you can decide on your own? Do you know that you are just about to tell me, that you are free, that you could do anything you want to? Do you really wanna tell me that it was your own decision on this island to go back to that hell hole and not…You don’t have to be a genius to notice that you are nothing else than another prisoner of The Centre! One of their slaves, whose life they destroyed to control them! When you don’t know what’s good for you, and The Centre definitely isn’t, them I AM very well allowed to tell you what to do. I know you don’t trust me, but there are some people who care about you and who want to help you!”
After a short while of silence he gently continued:
“You have to trust the people who want to help you and to get away from the people, who want to exploit an destroy you, Miss Parker.”

Miss Parker was for a moment speechless and Jarod took the chance to hang up before she could answer.


January 17th 2002, 23:20 p.m.
Mr. Lyle’s office
The Centre, Blue Cove, Delaware


In Mr. Lyle’s office, he and Mr. Raines were talking to each other.

“Does she know who her real father is?”, Raines asked.
“No, she doesn’t know yet. I think Dear Sis should figure it out for herself, shouldn’t she? It’d keep her busy.”, Lyle answered with a slight grin on his lips.

“You are right, but…she’ll kill us if she… .”

“Oh, yeah…but she needn’t to know, right?


January 18th 2002, 7:55 a.m.
Motel 6th Avenue
New York City, New York


When his cell phone rang Jarod was just eating some PEZ.
“Yes?”, he answered it after a short while, “Oh, it’s you, I didn’t think you’d phone me so soon…Do you have any information about her?…You have?”, Jarod took a deep breath now. “Yes, I wait.” While waiting Jarod thought of the final meeting with his long searched mother Margaret. He imagined the feeling of holding her in his arms. Finally.
He was interrupted in his dream by the person that had maybe information about his mother.

“Yes, I’m listening…So, she was at your hospital only a week ago…Yeah, her arm was injured…She gave you an address in Baltimore…Can you give me…Yeah, Rachel’s Motel, Pacific Avenue, room #11. Thank you very much, you know it means a lot to me. Thanks.”
Part 3 by Schmidt
Disclaimer: I don’t own the pretender and everything’s used without permission.



He Runs, She Chases
part 3
By Schmidt



January 18th 2002, 9:10 a.m.
Lyle’s office
The Centre, Blue Cove, Delaware


Miss Parker came with fast steps into her twin’s office

“You wanted to see me, Lyle?”

“Yes, right, but do sit, do sit.”

“No, I’m fine standing here. So, what do you want?”

“Okay, Sis, let’s get to the point. I’m sure you’ve already been told, that I’m the new chief now. Now, where Mr. Parker’s…err…’gone’.”

“That’s a subject I’m interested in: Mr. Parker. I’d bet my ass that you know if he’s our real father or not, don’t you?”

“I? Oh, how can you think I’d know who our real father is and not even mention a word. You know, I’d tell you everything, if I… .”

“Oh, yes, of course. But to be very sure, shouldn’t l ask one of your nice Asian secretaries, if she has seen anything? Or are they, like Mr. Parker, ‘gone’ too? Oh, sorry, little brother. Of course I didn’t mean murdered by you like the other women, I just…”

“Okay as you wish. Back to my subject. I AM the new boss now and I’m definitely not as patient as Mr. Parker was. If I don’t see any progress with Jarod, then…”

“Is that supposed to be a threat, Lyle?”

“Oh, no, not at all. Who would threat his own sister? You may go now.”

Miss Parker left her brother’s office although she’d rather killed him. Why the bloody hell had Mr. Raines made her crazy little brother to the new chief. Sure, Raines was still the big boss even over Lyle. But she’d deserve it a lot more to threat Lyle than he her.


January 18th 2002, 16:40 p.m.
Rachel’s Motel, Pacific Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland


Jarod entered the motel and walked to the counter. Behind the counter there was standing a nice looking black women. She was about fifty.

“Hi, I’m Jarod.”, the pretender introduced himself. “Hi, I’m, well, call me Rache. Everyone does.” “That’s your motel isn’t it?”, he curiously asked. “Yep, right, my little castle.”, she laughed,“ What can I do for you, young man?”

“Well, I’m looking for someone who may have been here only a short time ago, or she’s still here.”

“And who might that be?”

“Her name’s Margaret and she’s my mother.”

“Do you mean a woman with scarlet hair?”

“Yes, exactly! Is she…?”

“I’m sorry, Jarod. She left two days ago.”

“Did she say where she was going?”

“Well, no. She only said she’d looking for her family. Sorry, you’re too late.”

“Damn it! I’m always too late…can I see her room?”

“Yes, of course you can, but it’s already cleaned.”

“Never mind.”

“Okay then, come one. It’s upstairs.”

Rache led Jarod to the 2nd floor. In the room there was a bed and a big cupboard. The sun shined brightly through the window. “Do you wanna stay here?”, Rache asked Jarod. “Yes, please.”, was his short answer and she left to get him the key.


January 18th 2002, 17:45 p.m.
Miss Parker’s office
The Centre, Blue Cove, Delaware


In her office Miss Parker was just reading some papers when Broots stormed in.

“Did you ever hear something of knocking, Broots?”

“Oh, sorry, Miss Parker.”

“Is there anything you wanted?”

“Yes, as a matter of fact, there is…”

“And what, may I ask?”

“Well, I’ve just figured out that Jarod came to New York City three days ago He stayed a day at a small hotel…”

“Okay, Broots, send a Sweeper Team there, but for you I’ve got a more important order. I need to know if that son of a bitch Raines is my real father. So, I need some blood for a DNA test.”

“A-and how am I s-supposed to h-help there, Miss P-parker?”

“You’ll be the one who gets the blood for me, won’t you?”

Oh, um, I think there’s a b-better w-way. Why don’t y-you get the blood out of the bodily fluid st-storage of The Centre?”

“Nice try, Mister, but I’ve already been there. There’s no genetic material of Raines to find, so please, just do it.”

“A-and how…?”

“I’m sure you’ll find a way, huh?…And Broots? Don’t say a word to anybody, okay?”
With these words she pushed him out of her office.
Part 4 by Schmidt
Disclaimer: I don’t own the pretender and everything’s used without permission.


He Runs, She Chases
part 4
By Schmidt



January 18th 2002, 21:30
Rachel’s Motel, Pacific Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland



In his room Jarod was getting his Lap Top ready. While the computer was warming up he took the picture with his mother as a young woman out of his pocket. He always carried that picture with himself. It was his only connection to her. Yet.

Suddenly someone knocked at his door.

“Come in, please”, he replied and an old woman entered the little room. She was about eighty. Her white hair made a nice contrast to her black skin.

“Hallo.”, she greeted Jarod. “I hope, I haven’t interrupted you?”

“No, you haven’t.”

“I’m Victoria, Rachel’s mother-in-law. I only wanted to see who’s our new guest.”

The nice woman offered him his hand. “Welcome to our motel. I hope you’ll like it here.”
After shaking his hand Victoria suddenly realized the picture with Jarod’s mother.

“Who’s that?”, she demanded.

“She’s my mother”, he replied truly.

“Then…are…you…J-…Jarod, aren’t you?”

“Yes, I am. How do you know?”

“She was here only a few days ago. she was looking for you. All the time she spoke of you. And now…”

“You talked to her?!?”, Jarod interrupted the woman.

“Oh, yes, I did. We talked a lot. She told me everything about her and about what she’s looking for.”

“I’m looking for her as well, you know. So, do you have any idea, where she might have gone?”

“Well, …she didn’t tell me exactly. She only told me…yeah, that she was going to go back to the place where she got to know her husband…Because of the promise they gave each other when they were teenagers.”

“Promise?”

“Yes, they promised each other, that they’d meet each other exactly on February 22nd 2002 at the place they got to know each other. And she went there to meet her husband again and, as she hoped, some of her children as well.”

“What’s the name of the town? Please tell me!”

“I’m really sorry, Jarod, but I don’t know. I don’t even believe she told me…”

Even Victoria’s last words had disappointed him a bit he cheered up. There was a chance. The chance of finding his mother together with his father, his sister Emily, his brother Ethan and the boy. If his mother remembered the promise, his father would as well and the Major would be with the others. There was his chance to find his family, finally. Now, he only had to figure out which place they meant and hope.


January 19th 2002, 8:10 a.m.
Miss Parker’s office
The Centre, Blue Cove, Delaware


Miss Parker was sitting in her office and looking at the photo of her “supposed” father Mr. Parker and her. She was afraid of what she’s going to get to know soon. – Broots just phoned her to say that he had gotten some blood of Mr. Raines. He’d be with her soon.

And then? She’d run a genetic test and wait for the result. Till she’d get the result she could only hope and pray.
As if it wouldn’t be enough to have a brother who killed in fifteen years more people than Al Capone in his entire life. No, maybe she’d have the man as father that killed her mother and hurt herself at every occasion he’d ever had…
She was interrupted by Sydney who came into her office.

“Oh, Syd, you’re here yet?”

“Yes, I…never mind. I only wanted to ask you about a rumour I’ve just heard.”

“A rumour?”

“Well, is it true, that Mr. Raines made your brother to his new right hand? That Lyle has all control over the search for Jarod now?

“Yes, it’s true.”

“But he cannot…”

“Oh yes, he can. How you’re used to say, it’s The Centre.”

Suddenly Broots came in.

“Miss Parker, I’ve got Mr. Raine’s blo…oh, Syd, what are you doing here so early?”

“You’re going to run a genetic test, aren’t you?”, Sydney asked.

“I know, you are against it, but I have to know the truth.”, Miss Parker replied.

“I’m not against it anymore, Miss Parker. Do what you have to do and I’ll do anything to help you.”

After giving Sydney his second smile in three days Miss Parker faced Broots again.

“How did you get it, Broots?”

“Oh, um, there’s a man, Paddy, who owed me a favour. You know, he has access to Raines’ personal address book. And he gave me his doctor’s. It’s some Mr.Bruce in SL 10. Then I went there and found out, that I know the doctor’s assistant,Matt, and I asked him to get me some blood of Mr. Raines and he did me the favour. That’s it.”

“Well done, 007.”
Part 5 by Schmidt
Disclaimer: I don’t own the pretender and everything’s used without permission.



He Runs, She Chases
part 5
By Schmidt




January 19th 2002, 10:30 a.m.
Rachel’s Motel, Pacific Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland



“What are you going to do, now?”, Victoria asked Jarod.

“I’m going to start looking for clues on that place my parents met first in. It’ll be difficult, I know, but maybe it’s my last chance to find them all…Do you know if my mother talked to anyone else besides you and Rachel?”

“No, most time she was with me.”

Well, then I’m going to ask someone else who might’ve known her.


January 19th 2002, 12:15 p.m.
Sydney’s office
The Centre, Blue Cove, Delaware


“This is Sydney?”

“How are you doing?”, a very familiar voice asked.

“Jarod! I’m so glad to hear your voice. You didn’t phone me for such a long time!”

“Sorry, Sydney, I’ve been trying to find my mother…”

“I know, Miss Parker told me you saw her on that island.”

“Yes, and that call is about her too. Do you know where she and my father got to know each other?”

“No, why?”

“We don’t know of this line is secure so I can’t tell you here. But, do you know anyone else who could know it?”

“Mr. Raines might know it, but I seriously doubt he’ll tell you. Wait…, Catherine Parker must’ve known it, perhaps she told it Miss Parker.”

“I don’t think so, but it’s a try worth. Apropos Miss Parker. How’s she anyway?”

“Oh, rather don’t ask. Since both of you’re back from Carthis, she seems to be more sad than before. Well, her well…father jumped in front of her eyes out of a plane, but there might be something else. D’you know, what it could be?”

“No, no idea.”

“And how is it for you, now, after that island? At the beginning she didn’t even tell me you were on the island too. Lyle mentioned it. Is there anything I should know between the two of you?”

“Oh, no, everything’s fine, Sydney. I’m sure she just forgot to tell you I was there, huh?”

“You’re right, I think. Besides, she made Broots to start a genetic test with Raines’ blood and that of hers. She’ll have the result this late afternoon, so I’d be careful if you call her to ask about your mother.”

“Thanks, Sydney, I’ll remember that.”



January 19th 2002, 16:35 p.m.
Miss Parker’s office
The Centre, Blue Cove, Delaware


Miss Parker was sitting in her office, waiting for the test results, Broots would bring her soon, when she suddenly remembered Mr. Parker’s last words: “I love you as my daughter that’s everything that counts…”

He said he loved her. He said it was everything that counted. But was he serious, could she believe him? He had lied to her so many times. About her mother, about her brothers Lyle and Ethan, about Faith, about Jarod and things about The Centre. She was never going to find it out – he was dead, jumped out of a plane. Probably he wasn’t even her real father, but only her uncle. It was only that her real father wouldn’t be better at all. He was the man who had brutally killed her mother Catherine. She’d ever hate him, even if he’d be her father.

Suddenly Broots came in.

“Miss Parker, I’ve got the result, here. I haven’t looked at it yet.”

“Thanks, Broots. I owe you something.”

“I think I should better go, I still have a lot to do.”

Broots left an anxious Miss Parker behind him, holding a black file in her hands. She had always been wanting to know the truth, even since she was a small girl, but now where she hold it in her hand she wasn’t sure what it would bring her.
“Open it!”, a voice in herself told her. And so she did. Slowly she took two large sheets out of the file. Then, after falling on her couch she began to read it. After a short while of reading it she rose her eyes and saw Sydney standing about three metres in front of her.

“I didn’t want to interrupt you, Parker. I only thought you shouldn’t be alone when you open it.”

“Thanks.”

“I suppose you know the result, Parker?”

“Yes, I know. I now know that my whole life has been a lie.”

“Is it right when I suppose, that Mr Parker is NOT your father?”

Getting no answer Sydney softly continued:

“What are you going to do, now?”

And after a quite long time Miss Parker answered:

“Nothing. There has nothing changed. Raines knew it, that little son of a bitch Lyle knew it, although he didn’t tell me and I’m sure Mr. Parker knew it too. Now’s only the moment I get to know that the man I believed to be my father isn’t, but instead Mr. Raines is. Everything’s going to be ‘back to normal’. Mr. Raines is the new chairman of The Centre and Lyle his new right hand. They’ll continue with the hunt for Jarod. And you and me’ll just keep playing our little game, won’t we?
I think I’m gonna go home.”

“Miss Parker, I don’t think it’s a good idea, if you drive in that condition of yours. Please stay a little while longer, till you’ll have calmed down a bit. I don’t want you hurt.”

Getting again no response, Sydney pushed her back onto the couch and poured her a glass of alcohol from her bar. Suddenly she asked:

“Why, why Raines. I mean, how could a woman like my mother ever love a devil like Raines. Please, tell me, Syd, how?”

“I really don’t know, Miss Parker. But maybe you should consider that we talk about The Centre. You know damn well what they can do. Think of your brother Ethan.”

“Do you mean someone impregnated my mother with Raines’ semen?”

“Possibly…”

“No, I don’t think so… but I’m going to find it out. And nobody will be able to stop me! Not even The Centre itself.”

And with these words she was gone.
Part 6 by Schmidt
Disclaimer: I don’t own the pretender and everything’s used without permission.



He Runs, She Chases
part 6
By Schmidt




January 19th 2002, 17:05 p.m.
Mr. Raines’ office
The Centre, Blue Cove, Delaware



“Hey, Son. What can I do for you?”, Mr. Raines greeted Lyle.

“I only wanted to warn you, Dad. Dear Little Sister has found out that you are our real father. I think she’ll be here soon and scream a bit around.”

“You can bet your sorry little ass on that, you deranged idiot of a brother!”, a very angry Miss Parker shouted at Mr. Lyle. “As well as you can bet that I’m going to blow your fucking head off when I’m finished here!”

“I think I only interrupt here, don’t I? So I should better go, huh?”, Lyle tried to disappear.

“Oh, yeah, you can be sure that I’m going to find you anyway!”, Miss Parker shouted again before her brother left.

“Calm down. What is it that makes you shouting?”

“Oh, let’s guess. Could the reason be that the Chicago Bulls lost again, or that Dallas run off TV? No! The reason is that I just got to know who my real father is. It’s you, you fucking bastard. And I want an explanation. NOW! Why are you my father and not anyone else from this damned hell hole, here? Tell me, NOW, or I’ll shoot you down!”

“Oh, dear. Why can’t you just believe in the power of love? You know, Catherine and I had a wonderful time. But to tell the truth, she was Mr. Parker’s wife. We were meant to be together, but Mr. Parker took she away from me. And with her he took my children away as well…”

“You are lying! Tell me the truth, you slimy git.”

“I can understand that you are angry with me, Daughter, but it’s the truth. Catherine and I loved each other and you and your brother, you’re children of love…”

“Go to hell!”, she shouted at him. “I know you’re lying and I don’t believe you. I’ll find out the truth myself.”

And with these words she stormed out of her ‘father’s’ office.

Miss Parker thought she would explode. She was so angry. How could he dare to tell her that his mother loved him, how could he? She felt so sick that she thought she had to vomit, but she got a hold of herself, went to her car and drove home.


January 19th 2002, 17:25 p.m.
Rachel’s Motel, Pacific Avenue
Baltimore, Maryland


Jarod sat outside of the motel on a chair, when Victoria joined him.

“According to your face you haven’t had any success, Jarod.”

“No, I haven’t. My friend didn’t know anything either. I’m really clueless now, Victoria. I don’t know where I shall keep searching. Do you have any idea where I could look for clues?”

“Well, Jarod, you told me that you besides your friend still have another person you could ask.”

“Mhhh, I think she’s other things to do now.”

“Don’t you think it’s a try worth”

“Yes, you’re right, but I wait another hour to phone her. I don’t want to interrupt her.”

Although Victoria realized that this man who was sitting next to her needed some time for himself she also realized, that it’d be good for him to talk to her about that woman and so she began another conversation.
“Is she a friend of yours?”

“Who?”

“That woman you’re going to ask about your mother, of course.”

“Kind of.”, he replied shortly. He didn’t know what she was to him himself. To not to hurt the old woman with his short reply he added.

“Well, it’s complicated between the two of us.”

“Oh, I see.” Perhaps it wasn’t such a great idea to ask him about that woman. Obviously he didn’t want to talk about her Victoria thought by herself. “Well, I think I’ll better leave you alone so you can phone her.


January 19th 2002, 17:35 p.m.
Miss Parker’s house
Blue Cove, Delaware


Finally Miss Parker had gotten home. Today, she hadn’t been able to stay at The Centre. She felt so sick, sad and alone. The only thing she wanted to do now was to make herself drunk till she would be able to forget everything she had learned about her mother and Raines know today. After dropping her shoes carelessly on the floor she went to her house bar to pour herself a glass of Johnny Walker. After taking the first mouthful she immediately felt the comforting warmth of the alcohol inside her body. And after the second one she began to relax. Just in the moment she wanted to take the third one her phone started ringing.

“What?” Although Miss Parker tried to say her “what” as usual it nearly sounded friendly.

“I’m afraid, Miss Parker, but I must tell you again that it doesn’t sound as if your day was very nice.”

“And I must tell you again that I’m not in the mood to play games with you, so cut the crap and get to the point!”

“Whoa. Okay. I only wanted to ask how you are feeling after learning who your real father is, Miss Parker.”

“Sydney can’t shut his mouth up, can he?”

“It wasn’t Sydney. I found the result myself. It was in the Broots’ computer.”

“How nice for you, Jarod. I know that you’ve only phoned to torment me, so just do it and don’t waste my time, okay?!?”

“You’re wrong, Miss Parker. I’ve never phoned to torment you. I think you know that. My suggestion is that you just take an ice cold shower to calm yourself down. You know it is NOT my fault that Mr. Raines is your father. So don’t talk to me this way. I didn’t do anything to you, okay?!?”

This time Miss Parker hadn’t enough power for an argument with Jarod, which she would lose, because she knew that he was right.

“Okay, Jarod, it isn’t your fault. But may I nevertheless ask why you phoned me?”

“Yes, I have a question. Do you know the place my parents met first?”

“I think I’m the wrong one to ask, huh? Why don’t you ask your father. He should know it best.”

“Oh, thanks for your great help, because of The Centre I don’t know where he, or the boy is. Any other of your great suggestions?”

“We talked about fault before, Jarod, and it’s for sure not mine, that The Centre stole you from your family.”

“But your job is it to catch me and to return me to The Centre, isn’t it? You…”

“Right, you Genius, it’s my job and you can be sure that I don’t enjoy it to chase some Lab Rat through the whole country.”

“That’s it. You do NOT enjoy it. So why don’t you just stop it?”

“You know it’s the deal I have with my fath…with The Centre. But I can imagine that you would like it, if I’d leave you alone.”

“I only said you should stop chasing me around, but I didn’t say anything of leaving me alone. You and me…”

“We had that subject before. And you already know how it is. There’s no you and me. You run, I chase… Look, Jarod, I really don’t know where your parents met first and I don’t know either why you must know that, so could you please just hang up, before I do?!?”

“But you could ask anyone at The Centre…”

“And whom? Don’t you still get it, that nobody at The Centre knows your parents. See, I can’t help you…but when it is so important to you, then maybe you should ask Louis…”

“What Louis? I don’t know any Louis.”

“Yes, you do. You know, the man who owned that house you, Angelo, that kid and me hid in. Does it ring a bell, Genius? And now hang up and think of stopping these fucking calls on me!”

And before Jarod could thank her, she had already hung up on him.
Part 7 by Schmidt
Disclaimer: I don’t own the pretender and everything’s used without permission.



He Runs, She Chases
part 7
By Schmidt



January 20th 2002, 8:05 a.m.
Mr. Raines’ office
The Centre Blue Cove, Delaware


When Mr. Raines came into his office, he moved in only a week ago, his new-found son Lyle was already waiting for him to come. Lyle was looking out of the huge window behind the desk, rubbing the place his thumb should be.
After a short while of watching his son, Raines asked:

“Already here, Son?”

“Yes, I’ve been waiting for you.”

“Well, what gives me the honour?”

“Oh, I only wanted to hear what your meeting with Dear Sis was like. But I see, you’re still alive, Dad.”

“Yes, I am, but your sister can be very furious, right?”

“But she didn’t suspect anything, did she?“ Lyle finally turned to face his father.

“No, she didn’t. But she was very close. I fear that she’ll figure it out soon, when we don’t do anything to stop her. Now, I’m expecting a suggestion from you, Lyle.”

“We could bring her to the Renewal Wing and…”

“No. Once I tried it with Catherine, the brainwash didn’t work. Parker is too much like your mother. After a short while she’d remember everything, she knew about the…thing…before.”

“Well, what’s your suggestion then, Dad?”

“I think we should give her the proof, that it WAS love between Catherine and me.”

“And how…?”

“I’ve got something in mind. And I need your help.”

“Sure…”

“Listen, Son, we both know, that you are the heir of the Parker legacy. But she could be dangerous, when she ever finds out all the things we know, about The Centre or about our family…she could ruin everything. It’s like I said she’s too much like Catherine for her or our own good.”


January 20th2002, 9:30 a.m.
Oakew Lodge


After a long night of driving, Jarod finally arrived at the Oakew Lodge. The last time he had seen it was three years or so ago. At that time he had been hiding of The Centre, together with Angelo, a little child, Raines wanted to exploit like he’d done with Jarod and with Miss Parker.

Jarod hoped Louis would still own this place. After he’d gotten off his car, he went to the front door to ring. About two seconds after he had rung, Louis came out and said hallo to him:

“Good God, Jarod? I didn’t think I’d ever see ya’ again.”

“Hi, Louis. How’re you?”

“Fine, thanks. But where’s that gorgeous girlfriend of yours?”

“She isn’t my girlfriend she’s…” For the second time in two days he had to answer the question what Miss Parker was to him. He really didn’t know.

Some decades ago he would have said that she was his best friend and the girl he dearly loved. About four years ago he would‘ve said that Miss Parker was his worst enemy, the woman who made his life to a living hell, the person he hated, but that had never been so, even he was too proud to admit it. Almost a year ago he probably would have said that Miss Parker was a person he wanted to help, even she had still chased him through the whole country then. But now? What was she to him now? A short time after they had almost kissed on that island?

As he had phoned her, immediately when she was back at The Centre, she had told him very clearly, he should keep playing their funny little game, called ‘You Run, I Chase’. After then, however, at the phone both of them talked as if nothing had happened. Neither of them lost a single word about it He thought that he should talk to her anytime to make sure what his feelings for her really were. Hatred, friendship or love.

For now, however, he had to keep searching for clues on his family so he answered what he always did on that question:

“Well, it’s complicated between the two of us.”

“Uh, I see.”, he answered with a boyish grin on his face, “But why do you visit me so unexpected. I can hardly imagine you missed me.”

“No, to be honest, not. I come again because of my parents.”

“Uh, didn’t you still found them?”

“No, but with your help I could change that.”
This story archived at http://www.pretendercentre.com/missingpieces/viewstory.php?sid=4009