Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Aftermath
By: G. Barton

Disclaimer: I don't own the character nor do I intead to copyright them in anyway. I just borrowed them. I promise to bring them back.

As they watch the fire coming up the halls, everyone ran for cover. After the explosion, Jarod gets up from the floor to see if Sydney and Miss Parker are okay. Sydney starts to cough. Jarod runs over to him.

"Are you okay?" asked Jarod.

I'm fine. You better get out of here before anyone else sees you." Sydney replies.

"Not until I see if Miss Parker is okay."

Jarod walks over to her and she says, "Jarod." as she wipes the dirt from her face.

"Yes, are you okay?" he answered.

"I don't know." she answered.

He helps her up about the time Mr. Parker and Mr. Raines look up to see him. Jarod takes off when he sees them staring his way. Miss Parker was not far behind him. He takes off running through the woods behind the Centre and she catches up with him.

"Jarod, why are you running?" she asked.

He stops to see if she is really okay. He hears a noise and sees Willie and another sweeper not far behind. He grabs Parker and says, "Shh, don't say a word."

They go right by them. He notices she is bleeding on her forehead.

He says, "Come on. I have to get you some help."

She replies, "Why are they chasing you?"

He responded, "You must have hit your head pretty hard not to know that." Then he says, "Come on, we have to get far away from them as soon as possible."

As they are walking Jarod tries to answer all her questions the best way he can. He explains she has been chasing him for two years now.

"Can you remember any of that?" he asked.

"No, not really." she responded confused.

"Then, how come you remember me but not chasing after me?" he asked.

"I don't know." she responded.

"Look over there we will take cover until Willie leaves." said Jarod as he pointed.

"Okay." Parker replied.

Then they hear, "Over there! There they go!"

Jarod grabs Parker by the hand and yells, "Run!"

She tells him, "Why am I running from them? They want you not me. I will stop them while you run. They want do anything to me."

"Man, you did hit your head pretty hard didn't you. You can't stop. They will hurt you for leaving with me so. some on. We can lose them over here." She starts to let go of his hand when he grabs squeezes harder and says, "No."

They run to a fallen down shed to take cover. There is just enough room between the ground and floor for someone to crawl under it.

She says, "I can't breathe."

He whispers, "Shh...they are leaving. Give them time to get back and we will keep moving."

She turns her head and looks at Jarod. He whispers, "What?"

"Nothing." she answers.

She was thinking, 'Why would I want to chase a nice guy like him?'

*********

Willie and the other sweeper make it back to the Centre. Raines asked, "Where's Jarod?"

"He got away and Miss Parker is with him." Willie says.

Mr. Raines was furious. "Miss Parker is with Jarod!" he exclaimed.

Sydney spoke up and said, "She wasn't with him, I'm sure. She was chasing him."

"Then, where is she?" Raines asked.

Broots replied, "Maybe he captured her and she can't get away from him. I'm sure that is what Willie saw."

Sydney added, "He has a point. What better way to bring Jarod in than to stay right with him?"

Mr. Raines said, "Sydney, you better be right because you are in trouble for that bomb."

Sydney knew she wasn't chasing him, but chasing after the truth behind her past. He knew he had to keep Raines thinking that to but them both some time. Sydney knew he had to convince Raines that he wasn't the one responsible for that bomb. That he had seen someone else place it there but who, he thought. After all he needs to stay at the Centre as long as he can to help Jarod and Miss Parker with their past and future.

"Come on, Broots. We have some work to do." replied Sydney.

*********

Mr. Parker turned to Raines and says, "We have to find them. They both may know too much They may have to die to keep them silent. I know she is my daughter but she is turning more like her mother everyday. We can't have that. After Catherine knew too much."

"I agree." said Raines in a wheezing voice.

*********

Jarod and Miss Parker are walking through the woods when he says, "Look, see that cabin. We can stay there tonight."

"Jarod I don't feel good. I don't think I can make it." she replies.

She grabs her head and starts to fall when Jarod catches her befoe she lands on the ground. He picks her up and carries her to the cabin. By this time she is passed out. He opens the door and lays her on the bed. He looks around to see what he can find to clean up that cut. He walks in the bathroom and sees some towels and medical supplies. He goes back to her and washes her cut and bandages it up. He hopes who ever owns this cabin doesn't return too soon. He is thinking it could be a summer place by the way it looks. While she is sleeping he looks to see what else he can find since they will be there the night. He walks in the kitchen and finds some food in the cabinets. He decides to open something up. She will probably be hungry when she wakes up. He keeps the food warm and goes outside. He needs to make sure that a sweeper team is no where in sight. She wakes up and calls out for him. he is nowhere in sight. "Where could he be?" she says to herself.

Then, Jarod walks in and says, "I see you woke up. Are you hungry? I fixed some food for you."

"No, I thought you left me." she replied, frightened by the thought of being alone again.

"I wouldn't do that." he answered. Thinking to himself, 'At least not until I know you will be okay.' "How is your head?" he asked concerned.

"Fine. I just have a headache." she replies.

Jarod asks, "What is the last thing you remember?"

Miss Parker answers, "Walking down the steps and seeing you talking to someone in a vent, I think. I remember seeing you and your smile and knowing that everything was going to be fine."

"Is that all you remember?" he asked.

"Yes, who was that in the vent?"

"That was Angelo. Do you remember him?"

"I don't know. Should I?"

"You must have a mild concussion. You were about twelve when that happened." he replied.

"Jarod, am I a nice person?" Parker asked shyly.

"I believe you are deep down but your daddy has corrupted you. I like the girl, I once knew not what you have become. I do hope she comes back to me." he replied sincerely.

"Oh." Changing the subject, Miss Parker says, "Jarod, I would like to change into some different clothes. Have you found anything here?"

"I think there are some tee shirts in the other room. I'll go check." He comes back with a red tee shirt. "I found this."

She gets up slowly, trying to keep her balance. "I will put this on."

"Would you like me to help you?" he asked.

"That's okay. I think I can change by myself." she answered sarcastically.

"I meant, would like some help into the bathroom to change." he replied.

"No, thanks. I think I can manage." She stumbles into the wall.

Jarod says, "Let me help you in there. I know you are a big girl but sometimes it is okay to ask for help." He smiles at her.

"Okay, Jarod. Would you please help me into the bathroom?" she asked.

"See that wasn't so bad now was it?" he answered. He helps her in the bathroom and waits outside the door. "Are you okay in there?"

"Yes. I will be out in a minute." she replies. She opens the door and Jarod can't but notice her legs. "Hey, I'm up here." she says.

"I'm sorry. I haven't seen you look like this before." he replies.

"Like what?" she asked.

"So different." Jarod said. He thought he better leave it like that before he puts his foot in his mouth. He takes her hand and helps her back to bed.

"Are you sure you don't want something to eat?" asked Jarod.

"Well, I am getting hungry."

"That settles it, I will be back. Just stay here." replies Jarod.

"Okay, I not going anywhere." Miss Parker replied.

Jarod brings back some food in a bowl and hands it to her. "Here eat this. I will be back."

"Where are you going?" she asked.

"I'm going to find some wood to build a fire. It's going to get cold in here tonight." Jarod goes outside to gather some wood. As he gathers it, he is thinking....'What are you doing? She is your old friend but also the woman that is chasing you. Quit thinking about her, but her beautiful blue eyes, her smile, and those legs.' He shakes his head, hoping to get her out of his head. He walks back in and builds a fire.

"How is the food?" he asked.

"Fine." she answered. She looks at him and noticed there was some blood on his shirt.

"Come here." she says. "Take off your shirt."

"What?" Jarod answered surprised.

"There is blood on your shirt. Are you bleeding?" Parker asked.

"Oh that. I must have gotten blood on my shirt during the explosion." answered Jarod.

"What explosion?" she asked concerned.

"The explosion at the Centre. Don't worry you will remember in due time." replied Jarod.

"Oh, I see. Let me look at your shirt." she replies again.

Jarod pulls off his shirt and she gets the pieces of glass out of his skin. Then she cleans him up with some alcohol and bandages.

"You're lucky, it didn't get infected." she replies. She noticed his chest with just the right amount of hair. She runs her fingers over his chest and up through his hair on his head. Then reaches over to kisses him.

He pushes her back and says, "Stop, we can't do this."

She says, "I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me."

Jarod says, "We better get some sleep. Tomorrow will be a long day. Since there is only one bed you can have it. I will sleep on the floor."

"Don't be silly. You will freeze down there. We can share the bed. I promise I will stay on my side." she says.

Jarod knowing it will be cold on the floor but also knows this is not a good idea says, "Okay, I guess it is cold on the floor."

She rolls over and looks out the window by the bed. She says, "Jarod, do you remember our first kiss?"

Jarod not knowing how he should answer this says, "How could I forget? Why?"

"I was just wondering. Good night." she said.

Jarod replies, "Good night Miss Parker."

**********

Sydney walks into Raines office and says, "You wanted to see me."

"Yes, I did. We are going to have a meeting over this bomb issue. I thought you should be aware of it."

Sydney replies, "I'm not responsible for that bomb. I don't know who is but it's me. I just happened to see it down there. I had to warn ALL of you before it was to late. If I knew who placed it there I would tell you."

Sydney hoping Mr. Raines did not see through him knew what he did and what he had to do to stop him. How could let Raines hurt another child? After all he is doing this for Miss Parker and Angelo not just Jarod.

Raines said, "I hope you are right for the sake of your job and life."

"Are you threatening me?" replied Sydney.

"No, just watching the Centre's reputation." replied Raines.

"Will that be all Mr. Raines? I have other important things to finish." Sydney replied.

"You may go." he said.

Sydney leaves and Raines sent a message to Mr. Parker to meet with him.

**********

Broots catches up with Sydney. "Where have you been?"

"I just came from Raines' office. Have you came up with anything, yet?" Sydney asked.

"No but I have a feeling we have to find Miss Parker before anyone else does." Broots replied.

"I agree. Maybe Angelo can help." replied Sydney.

*********

Part 2