Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

Thanks to Ra-chell! Her story 'Fire' gave me the idea for this one of mine.



THE ARABIAN PHOENIX part 2
By Stefi


The Centre, Mr Parker's office

"If you want my opinion, Jarod is going crazy!" Lyle paced back and forth in front of his father's desk, practically foaming at the mouth "The walls were ALL painted in pink and green! A pink that hurt the eyes and a green that was even worse!"
The younger man tried to calm himself down as Mr Parker looked at his son, stroking his own chin.
"And do you know where the red notebook was?" Lyle still fumed at the very thought "In the toilet. I mean, INSIDE it!"
"Jarod always plays these tricks of his," Mr Parker said "but I have to admit that this one was a bit much, even for him"
"I feel almost sorry for my sister" added Lyle "Only this time, it had to be ME to fish the note from the toilet!"
The office's door burst open and the two men turned to see Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney, Sam entering, a sea of sweepers around all of them.
"All done, dad!" Parker said to her father.
Mr Parker stood up from his chair, smiling "Oh Angel! I knew you could do it!"
"How did you find him?" asked Lyle, upset.
Parker gave him a disgusted look "I hate telling it but.. I told you so! Jarod is NEVER where he sends us"
"One could ask why on earth you didn't find him before, then!" Lyle replied.
"Stop arguing, you two!" Mr Parker cut them off "The only thing that matters is that the hunt is ended. Angel, I'm really proud of you!"
"Thanks, dad," said Parker flatly, her eyes still on her brother "You'll have my report ASAP" and she turned to leave as Lyle followed her with his gaze.
Jarod, too, stared Parker until he could see her, then his eyes looked down, refusing any contact with the others.
"Well," Mr Parker addressed Sam "put him in a maximum security cell and watch him carefully!"
"Yes sir," was the sweeper's sharp answer. The team moved to leave, and so did Sydney.
"Syd!" Mr Parker called "Where are you going?"
The answer of the shrink was even sharper than Sam's one "To check on Jarod's arrangement"
Mr Parker nodded absentmindedly, still thinking about his daughter's success.
Lyle, on the other hand, frowned. What was wrong with the old Belgian?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Jarod was taken to his new cell, escorted like a Mafia's boss.

He felt bad thinking he was again in this place, but thinking about Parker was even worse.
How could she have done that?
Sam opened the cell door and waited for Jarod to enter inside. The pretender hesitated a second: entering meant the end.
"C'mon, Jarod." the low voice of the sweeper had almost a tinge of sorrow.
Jarod went in, followed by Sam and Sydney. The sweeper took away the handcuffs and left.
The elder man looked his protégé, wishing to reassure him, but what he could say?
The two men stayed there, without a word, then Sydney sighed, "I'm sorry."
Jarod nodded. "Me too."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre, SL-5

The news about the pretender's capture was the talk of the Centre, and Broots waited eagerly for Syd.
They needed to talk, there were happening so many things, strange things, in that place!
The door opened up and Sydney came in, with a nod to Broots.
"Syd! Well? Is it true? He's back?" Once again, Sydney nodded but didn't talk.
The tech stared at him, worried: the shrink seemed tired and older.
"Syd" Broots talked again "They say.. they say she.. she aimed her gun at you! It isn't true, right? She would never do this!"
"On the contrary, my friend," Syd made an effort to answer "she would do this. As a matter of fact, she did do it."
Broots shook his bald head, trying to smile "But surely she was bluffing, you know, to trap Jarod" he searched for a confirmation of his idea, but Sydney stared at him blankly.
Parker would NEVER shoot Syd. NEVER! Jarod would have know this!
But then, why did he surrender? As if.. yeah, as if he thought she..
Broots felt bad "Syd! You don't think.. she would.. kill you!"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

In that very moment, the same question was asked of Sam by the Chairman.
"You've working for my daughter since years, by now, Sam. Do you think she would have shot, or even killed, Sydney just to trap Jarod?"
The sweeper took some seconds to think. He didn't like the direction things were going.
Miss Parker was his boss, he was loyal to her, and only to her, even after the events of the passing day. It wasn't his job to judge her behaviour.
But these two were a totally different thing.
Mr Parker was waiting for his answer. Lyle had said nothing as yet, just looked at the sweeper.
"Sir, Jarod thought she would do it, that's why he surrendered." Sam hoped this answer was enough for them. He hadn't the stomach to say 'yes, I think she would have done it'.
The Chairman smiled, nodding "That's all, Sam. You can go"
Sam left, with the feeling he did a disservice to Miss Parker.
"Did you hear?" Mr Parker had a delighted look "Jarod surrendered because MY DAUGHTER would have killed Sydney," and he laughed merrily.
He had done it! He had his worth heir, at last!
Lyle was staring at him, astonished "Dad, are you joking? Do you know what this means? If Parker can kill Syd, then she could kill anyone!"
The old man nodded, still laughing.
Lyle couldn't believe it! How could his father not seeing the danger?

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

That night was long and sad for Jarod. He couldn't sleep, he felt almost strangled. That place was Hell.
"Parker, how could you?" he whispered to himself. Her eyes -- they were the only things he could think about. Her eyes, cold, blank, dead.
She would have fired the gun. He had seen her ready to do it. In her eyes.

At his home, Sydney was thinking about the same things, him too. Parker. Jarod.
His children, that's what they were to him. And like a father, Syd felt the despair of having lost a daughter, her soul forever damned.
He hadn't been able to help her. A father has a duty to help his children, always and in every way. But he had failed: Parker was lost, and soon, Jarod would be too.
Silently, Sydney cried.

Parker, in her office, rubbed her burning eyes. She was so tired. And she had so many things to do still.
But they were the right things?
Parker saw again in her mind Sydney's face, Jarod's expression. It hurt thinking about them.
"God! What have I done? Why?" she asked to the empty room.
There was no way out -- no other choice. That was the only answer she could think of. Parker sighed and put aside thoughts of Syd and Jarod, then kept on working.
Not even for a second did she notice the sad, blue, wise look that stared at her through the vent.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The new day at the Centre seemed full of excitement and curiosity. Now that the hunt was ended, what would happen?
The main hall was crowded by employees and sweepers, all of them apparently very busy, but the truth was they were eager to know the next move of the Parkers, not to mention Raines' reaction!
The Parkers, father and son, walked in the building and moved toward the elevators.
They felt the atmosphere, loaded with expectation, but they both put on an air of nonchalance: showing emotions was not a Parkers trait!
Mr Parker smiled to Lyle, who pushed the button for their level.
As soon as the elevator's door closed, he talked to his son "See! They're waiting for our decisions! They all depend on us and.. " the old man raised one finger, to underline his own words ".. that is POWER!"
"Yeah!" was the only reply from Lyle. He wasn't so merry, like his father, and kept on thinking there was something wrong in his sister's attitude.
They exited from the elevator to find themselves in front of Raines and his sweeper Willie.
"I heard.. Jarod.. is back," wheezed the devilish doctor.
"Yes!" Mr Parker was full of pride and he almost giggled "My Angel brought him back yesterday!" He nearly swayed on his feet, like an happy child.
Lyle, disgusted, turned away. (It seems that everyone has something to do in this very place!) he thought, noticing the many people all around.
Raines was staring at Mr Parker "And how.. is it.. I was.. not informed.. about it?"
"You didn't need to know," answered the sharp voice of Miss Parker.
All the attention was on her now.
(God! She seems exhausted!) Lyle thought, amazed at the concern he felt.
"Besides," she continued, "you will learn everything in my report. I made copies, for.. All. Of. You." Parker let her gaze slide from one to the next.
Then, she addressed her father "I did my part, daddy. Now, it's your turn"
"My turn?" Mr Parker asked, faking ignorance "Oh! You're talking.. well, Angel, you see, I was thinking.. " His daughter crossed her arms "Maybe, you will have a bonus for.. and I have so many plans for you, you know?" Mr Parker laughed.
Parker narrowed her eyes "Dad!" Her voice was strong and loud "We had a deal. When Jarod was back, I would be free." Her father stopped laughing.
"We had a deal," she repeated "Or maybe.. your word doesn't count for anything anymore in here!" Parker stared at her father in open challenge.
Mr Parker stared back at his daughter, clenching his teeth.
Resolute and steady. So he had described her only few days ago.

But now she was a little too resolute and steady.
He had always been able to handle his daughter in the past, a word here, a smile there, and she always did as her father wished.
But now something had changed. She wasn't anymore the little girl, easy to manoeuvre, ready to do anything to gain his approval. This was a woman, a strong woman, who was defying him in front of the whole Centre!
Mr Parker narrowed his eyes as his gaze crossed that of his daughter, being no less determined than his.
He felt all eyes upon him and finally understood that he had lost the game.
"I have only one thing to say," he stated firmly "You're free to go, if you wish."
Raines seemed as if he wanted to wither the two of them with his glance.
"I imagine," Mr Parker continued "you'll need some days to get ready."
Parker smiled, or rather showed her teeth "Wrong, daddy. I've nothing to do but leave." She turned around and, in doing so, her eyes met Lyle's ones.
Something passed between the two of them, something faint and definite at the same time.
A bond? A memory? They stared in each other's eyes.
"Be careful, Lyle." Where did these words come from? Parker didn't know and didn't care "Always watch your back or these people.. will kill you, like they did our mother."
Lyle nodded slowly, still looking straight in her eyes "You be careful too."
She walked toward the elevators, feeling everybody's gaze on her.
It was then that the Tower's elevator hissed, which usually meant bad news.
The doors slid open and two men moved in front of Parker, blocking her way.
"Miss Parker, you are expected by the Triumvirate" said the younger man.
"Really!" She raised her eyebrow "Well, sorry guys, I have other places to go," and, pushing them aside with her hands, she passed between them.
The Tower's envoys stayed speechless: it wasn't that way people reacted to a call from the highest authority of the Centre! People trembled, turned pale and feared for their life! Certainly, no-one showed so much indifference and contempt!
The two men exchanged looks, feeling embarrassed for not to know how to handle a situation like that. The Tower didn't say to use violence, only to escort her upstairs.
The woman was calling the elevator. The sweeper called her again.
"Miss Parker! I'm afraid you didn't hear me-"
"My hearing is excellent," she cut him off with politeness "and your pronunciation is perfect. Please, tell the Triumvirate I have nothing to say to them. Not now and not ever again."
The elevator's door opened up. Parker entered in and looked up at the little hole that had been her nightmare for twenty-five years. She took from her pants pocket a bullet and forced it into the opening. Now, it was their turn to have nightmares!

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre, SL-5

"So, she's gone" Sydney whispered "Without a word, without a look back. Without even a goodbye."
Broots stared at his own feet. He didn't know what to say to cheer up his old friend.
The truth was he too had expected a word from Miss Parker, even something like 'Fuck you! I'm free and you stay in Hell!'
Nothing. She was gone.
Sam was standing still, in a corner. It had been him who had informed Syd and Broots about their boss' leaving. And now, he looked like a beaten dog.
"But how could she?" Syd asked, almost enraged "How could she leave this way? Without any remorse, without thinking what will happen to Jarod, or to you, Broots, or to any of us! How could she do that?" Sydney's hand slammed on the desk.
The other two didn't have an answer, and the shrink shook his head, depressed. "How could she?" he repeated, talking to no one.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre, Mr Parker's office

"I warned him!" Lyle was talking to Raines, in his father's office "I told him to be careful, not to trust my sister's behavior, that she was a loose cannon by then, but no! He knew what to do, he knew his little girl, she's a real Parker, and look what's happened!"
"Your.. father.. has been.. too.. careless" Raines hissed "He.. will give.. account.. of it.. to the Tower"
In fact, Mr Parker had taken the place of his daughter, and it was him, instead of her, standing in front of the Triumvirate.
"What a mess!" sighed the younger man "All because of that fool!"
The fool, Mr Parker, came in, and Lyle was at his side instantly.
"Well? What did they say to you?"
The Chairman seemed out of his mind "The Triumvirate was extremely displeased! They think your sister is a danger to the Centre and capable of anything, like what she did only a few hours ago, defying Tower's authority and refusing to submit herself to it."
"I was almost certain it would go this way, Dad," replied Lyle "and if you remember, I tried to warn you about the danger-"
Mr Parker cut him off with a move of his hand "Now things have changed. Your sister has put all of us in a critical position and the Tower wants to know if Parkers are still faithful!"
Lyle and Raines exchanged looks "So?"
Mr Parker stared his son. "We have to find her and bring her back."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre, SL-5

Broots was pacing back and forth, trying to think of the better way to talk with Sydney.
Lyle and Mr Parker entered, followed by the shrink and Sam, who seemed having decided to follow the good doctor everywhere.
"Good to see you're still at your place, Broots," Mr Parker approached the tech, who began to sweat instantly "Maybe you thought your work here was over?"
Broots stayed silent, knowing better than answering to a rhetorical question.
"Well," Mr Parker continued, "we have a new task for you, Mr Broots, for all of you," he added, looking at Syd and the sweeper.
"We haven't the slightest idea of where Jarod's clone could be-" began Sydney, but the Chairman stopped him, by saying "We're not concerned with the clone for the time being. Your prey will be my daughter"
"WHAT? Uh, I.. mean, not Miss Parker?" Broots was sweating even more.
"Do you know any other daughters of mine?" asked Mr Parker coldly.
"No! I mean.. of course.. er, your daughter.. " the poor tech swallowed, wishing he could vanish somewhere.
"Why?" Sydney intervened, suddenly angry "You let her go away. Why do you want her back now?"
"Why I want her back is not your business, Syd" Mr Parker began, when the door burst open and Raines walked in, rage all over his face. "Do you know what she did?" he attacked the Chairman "She took away the child!"
Mr Parker frowned "The child?"
Lyle, who had stayed silent till then, rolled his eyes "My little brother, dad. Your youngest son"
"I know who is the child!" his father barked, then turned to Raines "It's impossible! She would never do this! Search for him everywhere!!" he ordered.
Raines looked like on the verge of an heart's attack "You'll have to explain this too, Parker!!" and he left, slamming the door after him.
Lyle stared his father and, with scorn in his voice, mimicked his father's voice. "She would never do this! I seem to hear my sister, Christ! When will you wake up to what's happening?"
"Don't you dare talking this way to me, Lyle! I know my daughter! She has nothing to do with this story!" Mr Parked retorted back, his face reddened with rage
"Really!" Lyle was shouting on his father's face, now "Are you blind or what? Don't you see it? She brought Jarod back, then she defied you and the Tower. She put her daddy dearest in danger, without even batting an eye. Then she left, when you were sure she would never have done it and she took the child WITH HER!! Parker did the very things you thought her incapable of doing!! SHE'S NOT YOUR LITTLE GIRL ANYMORE: CAN'T YOU REALIZE THAT, ONCE AND FOR ALL?"
A sudden silence followed Lyle's burst. Broots, Sydney and Sam looked at them, astonished. Never, in so many years, they've heard, and seen, the Parkers losing their control at each other in that way!
Syd's look sought out Broots, who was deathly pale, and then the shrink glanced Sam. The sweeper seemed a little disgusted by the scene and..
Father and son faced each other for some seconds. Then Lyle took a breath and spoke more quietly "If we are in this mess, it's only your fault, stupid old fool! You should have foreseen it and listened to me!"
Mr Parker didn't need to hear other accusations. He felt himself burning inside with rage for the situation he was in. His fault! Not in the least! It was HER fault! Only hers!
"Okay son!" he hissed, looking like his daughter "You're so clever! So fix this problem!"
The Chairman left, and the four men stayed silent, looking at each other.
"Mister Broots" Lyle addressed the tech "Do all you can to trace my sister and the child." His tone was almost annoyed.
Broots nodded eagerly "Yes sir" and sat at his computer.
"Sydney," the younger Parker continued, "I expect you to be part of this team, and you too, Sam." He didn't wait for an answer and went away, shaking his head.
Syd stared Broots as the tech typed and searched. Then, nonchalantly, he muttered to the sweeper "Sam, why have I the feeling you know something about the whole story?"
Sam didn't move a muscle in his face, just his eyes had a sudden sparkle "I've nothing to say, Doctor Green. Only.. I think that baby will be better out there, with his sister, than inside here, all alone"
Sydney nodded, slowly, as a light smile appeared on his lips.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Days and weeks passed without finding a single trace of Miss Parker or her baby brother. Broots searched all over the Web. Nothing. It was as if she had never existed.
"Yeah!" muttered the bald man "She worked for the Centre all this time, she had to have learned all the best ways to disappear." He bit his lip: so many things to consider!
All the teams were now dedicated to the search for the two runaways. As incredible as it seemed, Jarod had been almost forgotten after all that time spent chasing after him, but the Tower had been really clear about it: Parker had to be found! Nothing else mattered!
So Broots did his job and never mentioned to anyone about the things he saw happening around him. The truth was that he would have loved to talk with Sydney, but the shrink was so upset about Parker and busy with Jarod that Broots simply couldn't gain his attention.
Now and then, Lyle went down to the SL-5 to ask about news. There was none, and the tech was having the weird feeling that the devilish twin was almost relieved by the lack of progress.
But maybe it was only a feeling.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The Centre, Jarod's cell

The pretender counted ten steps from the bed to the wall on his right.
Then he turned around and counted other fifteen steps till the chair.
It was driving him crazy! That room wasn't one of the usual ones. And the surveillance was strict and continuous. Luckily, Syd visited him quite often and kept him updated with the latest events.
Jarod sat on the bed, staring sadly the door in front of him.
Once Parker told him about a place, in Canada. A wonderful place, she said, near a lake -- where the two of them would have lived, forever happy. They even searched for that place on a map, marking the route with a red pen.
'And what if the Centre wouldn't let us go?' the young Jarod had asked.
'We'll run away and we'll take different ways to confuse the track. I saw this in a movie once. Then, we'll meet there.' She had made a circle around the town's name. Then, the young Miss Parker had smiled and the boy had smiled back 'Don't worry, Jarod, you'll always know where to find me' she had said.
The grown Jarod sighed "How did we end up this way?"
All their dreams, all their hopes.. gone, destroyed.

The door of the cell opened and Jarod saw entering Mr Parker with Sydney, who seemed really angry, followed by Lyle and Raines.
(The whole welcome committee!) he thought (And they seem all worried!)
"About time!" Jarod said aloud "I was beginning to think you had forgotten about me. This isn't the proper way to behave toward guests."
"After.. all these.. days.. you.. still.. joke.. " Raines wheezed in anger, but Mr Parker stopped him.
"Please Raines, let me talk with him."
Sydney and Lyle stepped to one side, as if they wanted to keep a safe distance from the Chairman and what he had to say.
"Jarod," Mr Parker began, "I have a proposal for you. Something like a deal."
"A deal! Really!" Jarod repeated.
"Yes. Maybe you know, by now, that my daughter is gone."
"Uh-huh," nodded the pretender. "She brought me here, and then she took off with the child. I know."
Sydney stared the Chairman with deep disapproval "I think your idea is crazy and stupid!" he said "Jarod will never accept!"
Mr Parker shrugged "I think, instead, he should listen my proposal. Maybe he might be interested in what I have to offer."
Raines intervened "Jarod.. can not.. be.. trusted.. "
"Do you see other choices?" asked the Chairman.
"WHAT DO YOU WANT?" shouted Jarod, jumping to his feet "Tell me what you want and then get out of my way!"
Mr Parker clenched his teeth "Find my daughter," he said.
Jarod looked at him, incredulous "What?!?"
"Find my daughter! I want her back!" the old man repeated.
The pretender stayed silent for a second, his eyes wide. Then he burst out laughing. He laughed and laughed as the four men stared at him.
"Sorry" Jarod felt like choking "I can't help it! The huntress becomes the prey, huh?" He had another brief laugh, while Mr Parker waited.
"So, you want her back." Jarod narrowed his eyes. "Why?"

"This is not-""

Jarod didn't listen "You seem.. disappointed, Mr Parker. Why? Your daughter is, at last, just like you always wanted her to be: merciless and thoughtless. Just like you" He spat the words as the Chairman frowned "Aren't you happy? You should be. After all this time, you've done it. You managed to destroy all her humanity, the side of her that came from Catherine. But still you're not satisfied." Jarod shook his head with mock sorrow "Maybe that's because you've realized.. too late.. that it was her VERY humanity -- you called it weakness -- that made her so.. manoeuvrable! You had power over her because of her soul, her feelings, that side of her that was Catherine!"
Jarod bit his lip but no-one contradicted him.
He shook his head again, this time with real sorrow, thinking about his childhood friend. "But now, all that is gone. No more soul, no more feelings." He glanced at Raines "No more Catherine. And now you haven't got any buttons to push with her anymore. She's like you now; and people like you don't answer to anyone else -- not even to God." Jarod turned his back on them.
Mr Parker rolled his eyes, annoyed. He didn't care what Jarod had to say, but he didn't like having his own failure to sense the danger thrown up in his face.
And he didn't like that it was Jarod recalling this fact to him.
"Won't you hear my proposal?" he asked. Jarod didn't answer.
"Find my daughter and the child. And you will have a say in your future, here. About the SIMMs, about the projects."
The Chairman stopped any protests from Raines and Sydney with a raise of his hand. Only Lyle continued to say nothing.
"It's a generous offer" Parker continued.

"Yeah, sure," Jarod commented. He took some seconds to think, then: "Okay."
Sydney couldn't believe his ears "Jarod!"
"Oh Syd, please! I'm dying of boredom here! I need something to do!"
"But Jarod-"
"He's made up his mind, Sydney" intervened Mr Parker, smiling in
satisfaction. "Okay, Jarod. Tomorrow, you'll begin your new job."
"I'll need some help, sir." The pretender seemed eager to please him.
"Sure, sure" the Chairman laughed "Mr Broots will be your assistant, okay?"
"Perfect!" Jarod smiled back. "I couldn't wish for better."


End of part 2

Feedback: ste.piro@inwind.it