Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

Thanks to Ra-chell!

The Arabian Phoenix part 5
By Stefi

Finding someone who doesn't want to be found is not the easiest thing to do.
Once again, Jarod and Broots checked in the mainframe, hoping to find a trace, only one, to begin a search about Parker, but she had cleaned everything. Again they explored in the Web, checking airlines and hiring cars, bank accounts, new and old, but, apparently, Parker didn't take planes nor hiring a car and neither drawing money.
"Well" Broots sighed "She has to having changed her name and found a job, paid in cash, unless she had enough money on that old account of her mother to live on a private income"
"When I found it out, there was a good amount of money. I don't think she took it in cash, a cheque would be more safe. Or she made it transferring in another account" Jarod stared the screen, thoughtful, as Broots stifled a yawn.
"Tired, my friend?"
"You can bet it" the tech stroke his eyes "What do we do? Do you know how many accounts are transferred everyday? And how difficult is entering in a bank database?"
Jarod laughed "It cannot be more difficult than entering in the Centre's one!"
Broots admitted "That is true"
In a few minutes, the two were in the bank mainframe where Parker had had the account and Jarod couldn't hide his disappointment, seeing the results.
"No transferring. She closed it and that's all" Broots glanced at his friend, feeling sorry for him.
"Blind alleys. Clues that take you nowhere" Jarod was feeling his rage growing inside "It seems that Miss Parker wants giving me tit for tat" Abruptly, he stood up, throwing back the chair.
"Jarod" Broots tried to calm him down "You'll see, something will come out"
"No Broots, you're wrong! We'll find nothing! She'll never let us find her, Parker wants to take me away from her, from my child! I'll never see him!"
"But what are you saying, Jarod? Why should she?"
"Because she hates me!" Jarod was shouting, by now "She hates me to such a point to make everything to hurt me and break me!"
Broots shook his bald head, skeptical "No Jarod" he talked calmly "I think YOU are wrong. She doesn't hate you. There's no hate in her heart, you told me this, once. And she took away the child from the Centre, not from you"
"And then why I don't manage to find her! She went away without a word, an hint!"
"There's surely a trace, somewhere" Broots insisted "Only that we don't see it. Not yet."
Jarod picked up the chair and sat down again. He wasn't persuaded by Broots words: Parker had many reasons to hate him, and he couldn't blame her for that.
The tech patted him lightly on the shoulder "Come on, Jarod. In some days, your father and the boy will be here, and with their help, we'll find her."
"Go to rest, Broots" Jarod answered with a sigh "I'll go on, here, a little longer"
Broots wanted denying his own tiredness, but he realized that Jarod needed to be alone. So, the tech stood up and went to the door, but turning the handle, he asked softly "It isn't only about the child, is it? It's about her. You want her."
Jarod didn't turn "But she would never want one like me"
The phone on the desk rang and Broots came back to answer.
"Yeah?" he listened, frowning "Okay, okay. We are coming."
"Some news?" Jarod asked as Broots hang up the receiver.
"The feds have found something, but maybe not!" was the tech's reply.
The pretender stared at him, puzzled "What? Or they've found something, or they didn't."
"Let's go. They're waiting for us."

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

The techroom, SL-5


"I don't think it could be useful, you know?" Malcom was saying as Broots and Jarod entered in the room.
"Maybe not" Fran replied "But- Jarod! You're here. George, make him see!"
George, the agent sat at the desk, explained "One of the latest sendings was coming from this part of the States. Our techs tried to find more, but nothing to do" he sighed "I'm sorry, I know it's not much."
Jarod and Broots examined the map on the screen: south-east countries.
"Parker could be in Carolina, north or south, or in Georgia, or maybe in Florida" Fran said.
"She could be in Tennessee too, then, or in Virginia" Sydney's voice from behind made them turn around.
"No" George denied "Maybe Tennessee, but it's unlikely. Virginia not. Excluded."
The shrink shook his head "But it's like looking for a needle in an haystack, anyway!"
"It's right what I'm saying, too!" Malcom intervened but Jarod was sitting in George's place, in front of the screen.
"Better than nothing" he said "At least, we limited the search to few states."
Malcom stared at his friend "Do you intend searching house by house?" This man was crazy!
"If it's the only way" Jarod answered, typing on the keyboard and Broots took place beside him, watching the changes on the screen.
Sydney and Fran stared the screen, them too, but Malcom insisted "These are tracks not so news, your Parker could be gone since months!"
"I try anyway" was Jarod's reply.
He was studying the screen and Broots said "It's like when we were searching for Damon, remember?"
The pretender nodded, sighing "Yeah! But at least, we had the co-ordinates, then!"
Something hit Broots mind. He frowned, muttering "Co-ordinates?"
Jarod turned to look at him "What?"
The tech checked the map on the screen, thoughtfully "Maybe.. maybe we have them!" Jarod exchanged puzzled looks with Sydney, as Broots went to the desk and began to search among sheets and notes.
He took a sheet, reading again and again: the first numbers could coincide, could it be possible.. ?
Broots sat again beside Jarod "Type this list of numbers!"
Jarod gave a look to the list "The password?!?"
"What password?" Malcom asked.
"The one Parker used to infiltrate in the Centre's mainframe" Syd explained, as Jarod typed the numbers.
The map on the screen enlarged beyond measure, framing quickly at first a state, then a town, then a street, and at last a building.
No-one talked for several seconds. Jarod let exit the breath he was holding and began giggling "Good grief! She sent us her address!"
"Yeah, and completed with civic number!" Broots added, him too laughing. Syd said nothing but smiled.
"It seems to me it's a little absurd" Fran made notice "Using her position as password could be really dangerous. And what if someone else would find it out?"
"Not possible" Jarod answered "Parker knew well that Broots was the only one who could do it!" he patted the tech's shoulder "Great job, Broots! First, you decode the password, then you find out its real meaning. Are you sure not to be a pretender, you too?"
"What do you think?" Broots protested. Fran was smiling warmly to him and the tech blushed "The truth is that I only had an idea about those numbers, that's all!"
"Oh, are we modest, aren't we?" Malcom mocked him. That Broots was smart!
Everyone was laughing and patting him on the back, but Broots stopped them "Really, it's not thanks to me, you know, I didn't decode the password. SHE did it"
"You mean.. Parker?" Syd smiled.
"I had only three of the numbers, and I was tired, so I went for a coffee, and when I came back.. the password was there, on the screen. Saved, too." The others were staring at him, and Broots shook his hands, as if to calling himself out "Hey, listen, I never said I decoded it!"
"You said you found it" Jarod accused him playfully.
"And yes!, I found it! On the screen!"
Fran began to laugh and so the others. She smiled to Broots and repeated Jarod's words "Great job, anyway you did it!"
Jarod wrote fast on a sheet "Now we have a track. Let's go!"
Syd and Broots moved together toward the door but Malcom's voice stopped them "Hey! Just a moment! Where do you think you're going? You two are under surveillance!"
Fran snorted "Robert! They are not running away! They only want to find their friend!"
"Rob, please" Jarod asked "It's important we find Parker!"
Broots added "If you want, I'll stay here. There are so many things to do.. "
"And you can come with us" Syd completed "So you can checking on me!"
The shrink wasn't annoyed anymore by Malcom's attitude: working by his side, Syd had understood that the fed was an honest man, who made his work with passion and still believed in justice. He had only a really bad temper!
"That's right!" Malcom said "I'm curious to know this Parker of yours!"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Columbia, South Carolina

Jarod parked the car and the three men got out. They stayed still some seconds, staring the building in front of them.
"A fast-food? Are you sure about the address?" Syd asked to Jarod, who nodded, a little puzzled him too.
"Judging by what you told me about Parker, it's not her style" Malcom commented and Jarod nodded again.
"Yes, in fact. But the address is right. I hope we'll find something"
They entered inside and sat at a table. It wasn't exactly a fast-food, more a motel with a little restaurant, with few waitresses and probably with only one cook. It was really ordinary: like Malcom said, not Parker-style.
Jarod feared it was another dead-end.
One of the waitresses approached them "What can I bring to you?" she asked politely.
The men stared at each other "Oh, coffee" Jarod answered.
"Three coffees?" the girl smiled "Anything else?"

"No, thank you"
The waitress went away and Jarod sighed. Sydney held his hand.
"C'mon Jarod" he said calmly.
The pretender nodded "It's only that.. "
"I know it" the shrink whispered "But we'll find her."
Malcom said nothing but sighed. Ah, love! What a beautiful and awful thing!
The waitress came back with their coffees "Here!" and she put a cup in front of each one.
"Please.. " Jarod glanced the tag on her shirt ".. Julie, I know that certainly you see a lot of people coming and going, but.. " he took something from his pocket ".. have you ever seen this woman?" he showed her a Parker's picture "She is tall and thin. And there's a child with her."
Julie took the picture and watched it carefully. Then, her look slid from one man to the other, stopping it on Jarod.
"Are you policemen?" she asked with a low voice.
"No" Sydney answered kindly "We are her friends. We haven't her news since months and we are really worried. Can you help us?"
The girl bit her lips, then she put the picture down on the table. "Just a moment" she said and went in the kitchen.
Malcom drank from his cup and pointing the kitchen with his head, he stated "She saw her"
"I hope it" Jarod sighed. Syd patted lightly his hand.
The kitchen's door opened and an old man with an apron appeared with Julie after him. The girl said something and together, they approached the three men.
"Julie, here, said that you are searching for someone" the old man didn't seem anxious to help them.
"That woman" Malcom indicated the picture on the table "Have you seen her?"
The man stroke his hands in the apron and took the picture. Then, like the girl did before, he stared the men one by one.
His look stopped some seconds on Malcom, recognizing him like an agent, despite of Malcom's nonchalance. Then, was Jarod's turn to be observed and the pretender felt hostility in that gaze.
"Are you the father of that child?"
Jarod jumped on his chair, dumbfound by the question "Yes" he answered "The baby is my son. Then you saw them!"

"Yeah" the cook admitted unwillingness "They stayed here for some months. We rent some rooms, you know. But they're gone. Two, three weeks ago"
"And where? Did she say it?" Sydney asked.
"No."
Jarod felt his heart breaking for despair "Did she leave something? A note, a-"
"Are you deaf or what? She went away, with her child and that's all!"
Julie grabbed the man's arm "Dad, please.. " she offered a smile to Jarod, hoping he excused her father's attitude, but Malcom was already losing his patience.
"Hey, what's your name?"
"Stan!" the cook gave him a bad look.
"Okay Stan. Can we give a look to her room?"
"And what do you think to find? My daughters clean all the rooms every day!"
Sydney intervened kindly "Please, it's important for us. Can you show us the room?"
Stan hesitated, then shrugged "Hey Sue!" he called a girl who was cleaning a table "We go upstairs" Sue nodded and the group of people went on the stairs, at the end of the room.
The room was like every other room of motels, Jarod saw a lot of them and he couldn't believe that Parker had lived there.
"I know what you're thinking" Stan said "It's not a luxury room. But it's clean and quiet. She was clearly a lady, you know what I mean, but it was clear that she was hiding, too. And this is the right place for that!"
Jarod and Malcom took few minutes to check everything. In the room there was only a bed, a little table with a chair, a wardrobe. Nothing else. The bathroom was even smaller.
But they found nothing, and Jarod felt like crying.
"Are you sure she never said where she intended to go?"
"No" Stan was openly hostile "And telling the truth, if she would say it, I wouldn't tell you!"
"Dad, please!" Julie begged.
Jarod had it enough "But what the hell have you against me?" he shouted "You don't know me at all!"
"I know you enough to say what kind of man are you!" Stan shouted back "You left a woman alone, with a little child in her arms and a second one ready to come!! Excuse me, sir!, if I have a bad opinion about you!"
Jarod stared at Stan, his eyes opened wide "A SECOND ONE?"
He turned to Syd and Malcom, but they were shocked not less than him.
"S-Stan, please, are you.. are you saying Parker.. she is pregnant?"
Father and daughter exchanged looks, then Stan shrugged "Well, she was it. I think the baby will be born, since then"
"Didn't she tell you?" Julie asked kindly "That she was expecting another child?"
"No, my God!, no, I didn't know it!" Jarod paced back and forth, like an animal in a cage "I have to find her! But how can I do? Parker left nothing, nothing! How can I do to find her?"
"Jarod, calm down!" Syd grabbed the arm of his protégé but Jarod refused to listen "Sydney, explain to me how can I calm down! A family, Syd, MY family! All I ever wanted in my life was a family! With Parker! And I have it! But I can't reach for them!"
Malcom intervened "Jarod, you have to keep your head. We are come up to here, we'll find something else to going on. Believe it!" Jarod stared in his friend's eyes and nodded.
"Well.. " the faltering voice of Julie made them turning ".. as a matter of fact.. she left something"
"What? And why didn't you say it?" Stan scolded his daughter.
"I thought she forgot it" Julie explained "But, thinking about it, maybe she left it on purpose" she looked at Jarod "for you".
"But what?" the pretender asked "What did she leave here?"
The girl made a gesture with her hand, as if to say 'wait!', and she exited to come back in few seconds.
"Here!" she said, handing a red notebook.
Jarod took it: a red notebook! Parker learnt well the lesson!
Stan bit his lips, maybe he was wrong judging this guy like a son of bitch.
"Well" he said taking his daughter's hand "We two have to go downstairs. When you'll finish, here, lock the door and take me the key!"
The three men didn't realize they were alone, Syd came closer to Jarod and after some seconds Malcom too got near them.
Jarod opened the notebook to find clippings glued on the pages:
'A secret organization stole gifted children', 'Horrors house in Delaware', 'Dismantled a powerful organization spoiling children'.
Malcom frowned "I thought press was taken away from this story"
"Obviously, some reporter found it out" Jarod checked the articles and the pictures "That's the evidence that proves Broots theory: Parker is the informer"
"Yeah" Sydney sighed "And that's the reason we searched to explain her attitude. Parker realized to be pregnant and.. " the shrink was beside himself "The Centre really overstepped the mark, this time!"
"What are you talking about?" Malcom asked.
"But it's clear, Malcom! They did it again! What they did with Brigitte, they did it with Parker!" Sydney tried not to shout, but rage was difficult to control "And that son of bitch of Parker! How could he do such a thing to his own daughter?"
"Do you think they made her?" Malcom was closing and opening his fists. During his career, he saw a lot of things, bad things, but this one.. God!
"I don't think the Centre has something to do with this second child" Jarod intervened quietly.
"Oh, you can bet it the Centre has it!" Syd replied "But Parker found out all their dirty plans and decided to take them down!"
"Yeah" Malcom approved "And Jarod, you can be sure this one too is your child!"
"I'm sure of it, the baby is mine, yes. But not because of the Centre" Jarod put the notebook on the little table and went to the window.
Sydney stared at him, with a puzzled look "Jarod! What do you mean? Obviously, the Centre used your sperm-" Jarod denied, shaking his head.
"I think.. " the pretender seemed unable to find the right words ".. to be.. ME.. " he swallowed ".. getting her.. pregnant.."
A deep sigh: he said it!
Syd and Malcom exchanged looks, then the fed tried "You mean.. by the old-fashion way?"
Jarod closed his eyes and nodded, slowly.
Sydney had his eyes out of his head "Jarod! You and Parker.. ? You two.. are lovers.. ?"
"Lovers!" Jarod had a bitter laugh "It happened only once and.. I'm not proud of it" he looked down at his own feet, feeling on him the questioning look of his mentor.
"Jarod.. I don't understand.. " Syd put his hand on Jarod's shoulder to make him turn around, but without success: the pretender stayed turned toward the window.
"I.. I took advantage of her" he whispered, eventually.
Sydney sat slowly on the bed, incredulous "Jarod, please, don't tell me.. you-" the shrink shook his head, he didn't want not even think about it! "You're not saying you.. forced.. raped her.. are you?"
Jarod hadn't the courage to turn and look Sydney in the eyes.
On the other side, Sydney was waiting, hoping for some reassuring words: Jarod would NEVER do such a thing! But then, why he didn't answer?
"It's.. " Jarod took a deep breath ".. as if I did it, Syd"
"But how, why?" the elder man searched for an explanation, a reason, but what reason can be for a thing like that?
"I don't know!" Jarod cut himself off. What right had he to get angry? He turned toward his friends but still didn't look at them.
"I was trying to contact her, all the evening, but she didn't answer to the phone. I knew she was at home, and I knew she wasn't.. okay, these days. She drank a lot. She drank too much."
Jarod leant on the wall "I went to her home, only to check on her, nothing else, I swear! It was only that I was so worried about her and.. she was there, lain on the couch, with that shirt of Thomas in her hands, totally drunk! There were two empty bottles, a glass on the carpet, God knows how much she drank! Her eyes were open but.. she didn't see me, I think maybe she didn't realize I was there" Jarod was silent for some seconds: now, there was the hardest part to confess "I wished only to make her feeling better, helping her. To see her in that conditions.. so desperate, so unhappy.. " Jarod shook his head, he was going around "I have no excuses. She was drunk and she didn't know what she said or.. But I knew it! I knew I should have gone but.. she kept on crying, begging me not to leave her, like everyone else did, and I didn't manage to think anymore and.. and I stayed" At last, Jarod looked at Sydney "Then she fell asleep and I ran away. Literally"
Syd nodded slowly "I remember that for two weeks, you didn't call nor anything else. Did it happen then?" he said.
"Yes." Jarod nodded "I didn't have the courage to call! I felt such a coward, a worm! Then, an evening, I called her, sure to be covered by insults and instead.. she said nothing about it. She was the same of everyday, bitter, aggressive, but not a word was said about.. that night" he looked down at his feet "And so, I realized she didn't recall it. Parker was so drunk that, maybe, she thought to have dreamt or even that I was him.. Thomas"
Malcom, who had stayed silent till then, intervened "Yes, maybe it's so but.. Jarod, in the moment she knew to be pregnant, well, she had to realize that.. it wasn't a dream, don't you think?"
"Yes, Malcom. Parker knew to be expecting my child and she didn't say it to me" Jarod said bitterly "I know I have no right on her, after.. what I did. But keeping me away from my children is a revenge too much cruel! I never thought Parker would do this to me!"
"Jarod, I don't think it's all about a revenge" Sydney was stroking his own chin, thoughtfully "No, I think Parker said nothing as a precaution. We asked 'why', remember? Why Parker decided to take down the Centre! We have the answer: because she was expecting a child, YOUR child, Jarod. What would have done the Centre, when they would have found it out? We have this answer, too. And Parker knew well that the Centre would have never left her alone, they would have gone after her everywhere. Taking them down was the only way out."
Malcom nodded, persuaded, and Sydney held his protegee's shoulder "Jarod, all Parker did, she did it to protect us. You said this, remember? She never thought to take away your children"
"How can you be sure of that?" Jarod stared at Sydney. He wished to believe it, that Parker..
"Think about it!" Syd shook him lightly "She knew you would have searched for her. She knows you'll find her"
"But how, Syd?"
"The red notebook! She left it, the same way, for the same reason YOU left it for us!" the shrink took the notebook and handed it to Jarod "It has to be some tracks, in it. Otherwise, why leave it here?"
Jarod looked at Sydney, then at Malcom.
Again, they read the clippings. Jarod sighed, feeling foiled.
"There's nothing here!"
"Wait! Check the other pages!" Malcom suggested.
Jarod turned over the pages, one by one.
"And this?" Sydney asked.
There was a weird drawing in the two last pages. A red line that started with a little arrow from the low corner, on the right: then it went on the left, almost horizontal, then it rounded to go up till the high corner on the left, with a little circle to close it.
"It seems.. " Malcom tried ".. don't know, a way to follow?"
Jarod looked at him, frowning.
The fed explained "Well, you see, this line begins with an arrow and it ends with a circle, so.. " he shrugged "Maybe it's a foolish idea"
But Jarod didn't listen, he was staring the red line and following it with a finger.
In his mind, he saw a little hand drawing that line with a red pen, as the voice of a young Miss Parker said: 'Don't worry, Jarod. You'll always know where to find me'.
The other two were staring at him, understanding the trace was found.
"Jarod" Syd called him, calmly "Does it mean anything to you?"
And Jarod smiled, nodding "Yeah. Yes Syd, I know where she is"

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

A little, special town in Canada

Jarod parked the car on a side of the street and grabbed the ringing cell.
"Yeah?"
"It's Broots, Jarod. I found three addresses of people who moved to that town in the last month"
"Just a sec, Broots" Jarod found a pen in the dashboard and wrote the addresses on the red notebook Parker left.
"Sorry, I can't be more precise, the names of those people say nothing to me"
"Neither to me" Jarod commented "But they are only three. It won't take much time to check them"
"I found other two addresses" the tech's voice cracked lightly through the phone "But I think it's unlikely they have something to do with Parker"
"Check them anyway, Broots, okay? Syd and Malcom, have they arrived?"
"Not yet, but they are close and so your father and the boy"
"Great! They'll give you an hand with your job"
"Yeah, I need it!" Broots laughed "And.. Jarod? Keep us informed, okay?"
"Okay, my friend. Thanks" The line went dead.
Jarod took a map of the town and searched the addresses Broots gave him: the first was to east, almost out of town; the second was near there, and the last was near too, southward.
He decided to begin with the second address, the nearest, so he left the car and walked along the street.
The day was sunny and warm, but Jarod didn't notice it, too taken by his own thoughts. He crossed the street and turned on the right, two other blocks, then on the left.
The second address was there. Jarod checked the civic numbers: 16, 14.. He had to found the number 8.
Along the way, Jarod looked at the surroundings: it was a nice street, quiet and clean, with little houses on the both sides, trees and flowers along the side-walks.
The number 10! 8 was the next!
The pretender didn't know if running away or toward. He felt the same every time he had found some lead on his mother or sister: he looked forward to hug them, but, at the same time, he feared another dead end.
As he was there, the door of number 8 opened up and a woman went out, with a little bundle in her arms.
Jarod felt his heart crushing: she wasn't Parker!
That woman was tall but not so thin, her hair was auburn but picked up somehow on the nape of the neck, and her clothes! A blue-jeans, a shirt, gym shoes!
Definitively, this woman had nothing to do with Parker!
And yet, Jarod kept staring at her, feeling something familiar, although he couldn't see her clearly, because of a pair of sun-glasses that covered her face.
The woman was putting the bundle in a pram, with motherly care, and Jarod caught a glimpse of a microscopic, puffy hand. Then she straightened and smiled to the baby.
And Jarod recognized that smile: she wasn't Parker, not the Parker he knew.
No more miniskirts, no more stiletto heels, no more Ice Queen.
That woman was the Parker she should have been!
Jarod stayed there, like an idiot, staring at her, when he realized Parker was going away. He decided to follow her along the street, and taking a little more time before revealing his presence.
They went on for awhile, then suddenly, Parker turned her head back. Jarod jumped aside, hiding behind an huge bush. Had she seen him?
Parker looked in front of her again, then turned again her head, at last she crossed the street. Jarod almost fainted: she was only checking if it was the right moment to cross the road!
(Wait a moment! Where is she going?) Jarod ran to reach for her to find her only few steps before him, on the other side-walk.
Again, Jarod followed Parker, his eyes glued on her, until she vanished inside a building.
The man stayed still, without knowing what to do. Had he to follow her inside? What kind of place was that?
Jarod moved a little closer, without crossing the street, and found out that it was a nursery-school.
A nursery-school?
Suddenly, Jarod recalled the first child.
"But he's too young!" he muttered. Then, he realized that months had passed since Parker left the Centre. The baby was one year and half, more or less.
Parker came out from the school, with the pram and a little child, toddling beside her. He was gesticulating and laughing, as he was telling Parker some incredible adventure.
Jarod looked at them, delighting in that sight.
A woman came and stopped to talk with Parker, who smiled and nodded to whatever the woman was saying.
The child stayed there to listen, but he was bored, it was clear!, and he began to look around, searching something to do.
And his eyes crossed Jarod's eyes.
The little boy smiled widely and waved his hand to him.
Jarod felt puzzled, the child knew him?, then the puzzlement became panic: the child was grabbing and pulling Parker's shirt, to gain her attention. She said goodbye to the woman and listened to the baby, who pointed his finger on Jarod.
For some seconds, they stayed still, to look each other.
Then Parker took her child's hand and crossed the street, toward Jarod.
The pretender tried to breathe regularly, but the truth was that he was terrified. Would have Parker killed him? Would she have spat all her scorn on him? Would she have destroyed him with her hate, leaving him alone and desperate?
She was there, in front of him, a fist on her hip.
(C'mon, make it over!)
Parker lowered her sunglasses on her nose and smirked.
"About time, Wonderboy!"
Those weren't the words Jarod expected to hear her saying!
"Excuse me?" he asked, dumbfounded.
"It took you a lot of time to get to here! Maybe the tracks I left were too difficult to understand? A genius like you!"
The child pulled again her shirt and asked her "Daddy?"
Parker stroke his hair tenderly "Yeah Sweetheart, daddy is here, at last!"
The baby laughed, clapping his hands "Hi daddy! I'm Charlie!" and he jumped to be taken in his father's arms.
Jarod found himself surrounded by two little arms. He hadn't understood a lot, but cuddled the child, his son!, with all the love he could.
Parker was staring at them, still smirking.
Jarod saw tiredness on her face, pale and with some little wrinkle, Hell!, two babies give a lot to do!, but she looked serene, relaxed and her eyes were bright, warm, alive!
He smiled shyly and Parker returned with a real, warm smile.
Sydney was right, she knew Jarod could find her, she WANTED him to find her.
There were so many things to talk about, explanations, questions but it didn't matter, for that moment.
All he cared was the child in his arms, Parker and..
Jarod made him closer to the pram and looked inside.
Charlie, with an hug, had won his father's heart but the sleeping baby stole it away, literally.
"She is Cat" Charlie introduced proudly. Then, shrugging, he added "She always sleeps"
"Not for long, I'm afraid" Parker informed, checking her watch "We have to be at home within ten minutes, before she begins to cry for lunch, so.. " she moved the pram ".. let's go!"
"Let's go?" Jarod asked, still upside down "Go.. where?"
Parker gave him one of those Ice Queen-looks of her, above the sunglasses.
"At home, Wonderboy!"

The End

Feedback: ste.piro@inwind.it