Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

Note: This is the sequel to L.A. Discoveries Read that first, please.


Miami Truths
part 1

by Nelle



Title: Miami truths part1
Author: Nelle
E-mail’s author: nelle_aep@hotmail.com
Rating: PG-13
Category: S/AV
Spoilers: 1,2,3 seasons
Keywords: JMPR



fifty miles from Columbia
15:22 pm

'Two days that we are driving… And during this -how so wonderful holiday trip- I've just got only a damn cold shower and a damn fucking sheet of wood to sleep in!! I would be treated better in the Centre even in my new glorifying Lab-rat status!'

Parker was in a bad mood. The lack of sleep, her wound and drugs weren't helping increasing it anyway. She was allowing herself swearing like this because she had learnt (she hadn't have anything else to do) how to close her thoughts to Mickael during the drive. however this trip thing wasn't as bad as it appeared after all: they were still all alive and fortunately the Centre had lost their track.

“Miss Parker?"

“Yes, Mickael?"

“Do you think we will reach Miami soon?"

“The drive is boring, isn't it?» she said smiling at the five years old boy.

He nodded, true that in the Centre he never went anywhere but staying in a car all the day wasn't the most exciting thing of the world either.

“I think that if we don't stop tonight, we will arrive in Miami in the morning. You will see there that the hours of drive were worth it."

“For things like sea and beach?» he asked a bright smile lighting his face.

She nodded then frowned when the car slowed down.

“We are filling the tank guys, if you've something to do it's the right time now." said Broots from the driver seat.

Parker freed herself from the security belt then left her seat, stretching her arms and neck while heading to the shop. She was followed closely by Sydney, Mickael and Jarod. Debby, Margareth and Angelo were sleeping soundly in the car.

Parker got straight to the seller.

“I want a carton of Marlboro and a bottle of pure Malt." she asked the young man behind the counter.

Jarod shook his head hearing this, Parker paid the guy then asked to the child.

“Do you want something, Mickael?"

“Could I have some Twinkies again? And a bottle of Coke?» he asked shyly.

“Ok but this time Mickael don't eat all of them in two minutes. Junk food isn't good when you take too much of them in one time.» she replied good naturally.

“… It's just that I've seen Jarod eating them this way. I thought it was the way everybody did…" he answered truthfully.

“I know Mickael, it doesn't matter. Let's just say that Jarod has a problem with sugar.» she explained while watching Jarod paying for ten dollars of Pez.

“Parker, don't you think that quitting wouldn't be a bad idea?» he said while eyeing her new carton then added «You don't set a good example for him with these things” watching this time the cigarettes and the bottle “and what is more it's not good for you and for us.» he stated frowning his eye brows in disapproval.

Parker rolled her eyes “Because you think you do set a good example?!!" she asked sarcastically while waving her hand to his pez' stock.

“Pezs are healthy."

“Tell that to a dentist congregation.» she replied.

“You're just jaleous!" he grinned.

'Continue like this and I'm going to smack you so hard so that you won't wake up before a week!' she threatened him by her ability.

'Try me!' he challenged his grin still plastered on his face.

Parker lifted her hand and pretended to be going to slap him.

Even without the Centre, they were still baiting each-other, the only difference being the distance separating them.

“Children stop playing now, Broots is waiting for us. The sooner we get to the car, the sooner we arrive in Miami." Sydney told them trying to keep his voice stern but miserably failing.

He was a little amazed but mostly happy about the turn of event of the week. First, Jarod has found a part of his family. Second Parker, Broots and him had left the Centre with Angelo and little Mickael. Third everybody was still alive even having Jarod and Parker locked in the same car for two days now!

'Yes, things are going pretty well!' he thought.

True that Parker and Jarod were teasing each-other each time they opened their mouths but who could blame them about it? They've developed this habit for four years they couldn't quit it this soon!

They came back to the car, Broots started again driving.

“What is this song again? I think it's talking about bears settled on something?" said Jarod trying to remember a song he had heard in one of his pretends.

Broots began singing “99 bottles of beers on the wall"

“Broots, you better stop right now or you will sing an octave higher in less than thirty seconds." she snapped.

Broots fell silent immediately, Parker sighed and began unpacking her carton.

“You know Parker, you really are taking away all the fun of this road trip."

“Suffer!» she replied while putting a cigarette in her mouth.

Parker and Jarod finally shut up, Mickael was beginning to get used to their little chit-chat even though he still didn't understand why they did so. The young psychic was enjoying each second of this trip.

'No that's not a trip, I won't go back to SL-30, it's my new life.' he reminded himself.

Somebody was thinking about him he could feel it…

'Sydney?'

The shrink, who was sitting between Parker and Angelo, was a little startled.

'Mickael?' he thought, surprise coloring his thought.

'You were thinking about me.' the little child stated but curiosity was creeping his own thoughts.

'You heard me?'

'Feel would be a better term. What were you thinking about me?'

'I was thinking that you didn't seem disturb by all the sudden changes in your life.'

'Because they are good changes, doctor. Jarod was your protégé?'

'Yes, he was during thirty-three years. Why?'

'Because… I don't understand why he left the Centre but kept contact with it. I felt that for him freedom and family were very important, so why did he jeopardize them so often?'

'That's a really good question and I think that all the people in the Centre, who had known Jarod, have asked themselves this too. For my part, I think that he did kept a kind of contact with the Centre because even for a pretender you can't completely leave your past behind you.'

'I don't understand, I thought the Centre had betrayed him and hurt him.'

'That is true, but Jarod had received some goods from it too.'

'Like what?'

'He has met Angelo and many others people who have become friends.'

'Like Miss Parker?'

“What are the two of you talking about?» asked Parker in a suspicious voice.

“Mickael wanted some explanations.» said Sydney in his usual tone.

“And why did I get into the talking?!"

“I was asking Sydney if you and Jarod had become friends in the Centre." said the little boy honestly.

Parker's eyes widened but settled immediately her icy mask in place. Jarod looked at her then at the boy and his mentor, he was interested in the answer too.

“And what did you tell him, Syd?" she asked, her voice refunding her coldness slowly.

“I haven't had the time to say anything about this topic, Miss Parker. You, too, are able to feel it when someone is thinking about you. It's something not very far from empathy, you know."

“Why don't you want to talk about this?" little Mickael inquired, noticing the change of mood in Miss Parker.

“But what was this all about anyway?!" replied Parker softer but still showing her annoyance about this subject.

“Mickael wanted to know why Jarod didn't cut the contact with the Centre." explained the shrink. He didn't like the change he was seeing in Parker. She was reverting back to the Ice-Queen again and he didn't know why.

“And?"