Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

MY NOTE: Many thanx to Andrea who was the nice soul who beta read my fic. ( and I know she had hard work ;)
And a big thanx too to Felicitas for her support! :)
And without forgetting Nicolette who’ve done a lot for me too!

The story contain 3 third season spoilers
I don't own the characters ( how could i?) . Don't sue me! ( you Americans sue anything and all the time! ) well: that’s what the French think, now, maybe it’s a cliché!)
I’m kidding: take it easy!!
Thanx M N




Keep Cool Parker
by M N


Lure, Virginia,
Matrimonial agency:

Jarod was at his desk waiting for some advertisements when a woman came in. „Good morning, madam. Can I help you?

The woman answered, „Yep! I'm searching a man to share my life with: It’s a matrimonial agency here, is it?! I like sports, camping, spend sentimental moments… I'm a 30 years old widower with one kid. So I want someone caring who'll take Ellyr like a son, oh and my name is Valérie." As she said this, Valerie was looking for a ring on Jarod's hand since she finds him handsome. Finding none, she thinks *Wow how a guy like that can't be married! *

Jarod wrote her statement and then looked at her, thinking * Wow she's gorgeous with her dark hair and her piercing blue eyes! Almost like Parker!* „Actually," he started, „I think I’ve already found someone who should fit you."

Valerie asked, „Really?" she seemed a little disappointed *Anyway he's not a guy for you!*

Jarod, asked, „What about him?" He took a blank paper and pretended to read from it: ’I'm a 30 years old man with dark hair, deep brown eyes, and with a strong sense of morality. I've never been married. I'm loving and caring, and I'm quite smart, plus I like sports.

„Pretty cool!" Valerie said, impressed.

„Ok!," Jarod said. „What about tonight at 7 o'clock?"

His question confused Valerie. „Sorry ?"
„I'm your fitting man," Jarod told her, smiling broadly. „So I’ll pick you up at 7?"

Overwhelmed, Valerie thought, cool, and gave Jarod her address.

„Thank you!! See you later then!" Jarod said.

She left.

****

Valérie's House
7 o'clock


Jarod rang at Valérie's door.

„Good evening!" *oh…my…god!! She's wonderful in that black dress!*

„Good evening!" she answered looking to his tight-fitting suit. * hmmm* „Oh please come in," she said, stopping her dream. „Let me introduce you to Ellyr.
Ellyr this is …" she trailed off.

„Jarod, my name is Jarod." He squatted and greeted him. Ellyr is a four, and is very cute. „Hi Ellyr! Do you know Mr. Potatoe? I've brought you one! It's my favorite toy!" He hands the boy Mr. Potatoe, smiling.

The boy's eyes grew larger. He took the toy and managed a shy „Thank you, Sir."

„Call me Jarod please!"

Valérie chuckled * interesting!!!*

Jarod stood up and began: „I was thinking…"

At the same time, Valerie spoke, „I was thinking…"

„Oh, I’m sorry," Jarod said. „Go ahead."

„No no you first!" Valerie urged.

Jarod started again, „So, I was thinking that maybe it would be better if we stayed here because I‘ll be able to learn more about Ellyr. Besides I don't know my way around yet, I’m a newcomer.

Valerie thought *Wow, he’s really my kind of man!* „That was exactly what I was about to suggest, Jarod!"

The three spent the rest of the evening together, getting to know each other.

****

Miss Parker's House
The evening she learned that Brigitte was pregnant.


Parker was thinking, Oh my God! I can't believe it! I just can't! And Daddy is delighted! It's so not like him! And Brigitte? What's the connection with Mr. Lyle?* Her thoughts were interrupted by the ringing of the phone.

„Hello?" she said, too tired to be aggressive.

Jarod, „Good evening Madam. Can you stop playing with that phone, and bring it back to Miss Parker, please?"

„Very funny, Jarod!"

„I know! That was in the making for two years, and I wanted to share it with you!"

„How kind!" Parker answered.

„How do you like knowing that you’ll have a little brother or sister soon?" Jarod asked.

„Oh shut up, Jarod. I'm not in mood to argue tonight."

Jarod said, „You're never in mood…"

„Yes! That's right! Now if you don't mind, I'd like to take a shower now!" She said impatiently.

„Oh, ok I’ll leave you then!" Jarod said.

„So I was right!" Parker said.

„Right about what?" Jarod asked.

„You had nothing to say, you just called me because without it you can't sleep well!" Parker replied.

Jarod said, „Ouch! Touché!"

Miss Parker just smiled and hung up.

****

The Centre: Broots office
The next day

Miss Parker leaned over Broots’ shoulder, scaring him to death. „So, Broots. Any news?" she asked slowing, to be understood.

„About what? Jarod?" Broots asked, „Or the other bizarre, strange, disturbing things that you know?" He finished suggestively.

Her withering look hinted that he should shut up, if he wanted to see Debbie grow up.

„Broots? What you saw on my father office yesterday gives you guts?! She stated, with her big eyes trying to hide her sickness to the thought of the picture he’d described to her. Broots wisely stayed quiet. „Well, first about Jarod," she continued. „Because I’m supposed to bring him back here, and not to put my nose in those sour affairs.

Swallowing hard, Broots replied, „Well, I’ve been working on his…clue for several hours now, and…"

„Get to the point, Broots" She asked angrily.

„He's working in a matrimonial agency," Broots blurted out quickly.

Parker asked, „What? Jarod? In a matrimonial agency?" She was puzzled.

Just then Brigitte entered the office.

„Oh luv," Brigitte started. „So the truth finally hit you! I've always known that Jarod was like a pattern to you. What a deception this must be!" She argued with a smirk, and her eternal lollipop stuck in her mouth.

Parker asked, „Which truth Brigitte? The ones about your little "plays" with Lyle?" Broots and Sydney froze at her words.

Brigitte frowned one eyebrow, confusion in her eyes, but she rapidly regained her composure and decided to ignore the last statement.

Brigitte asked, „So? How do you feel about your future sibling?"

Miss Parker was furious, from Jarod she could stand those words, but those words from Brigitte…

„Listen to me Brigitte! You, your lollipop and your little "packet of cells" that you call my „sibling" get out, and NOW!" Parker shouted.

„Ok luv," Brigitte said, „But your father won't like the way you're acting toward your step-mother and future-sibling-to-be."

Broots and Sydney remained silent, trying not to attract the thunderbolt of the evil.

„I can't believe it!" Parker yelled. „What my father finds in that…stupid bimbo!! What have I done to deserve a family like this?" She asked.

„Broots!! Get the jet ready and, and go pack, we’re leaving. And, Broots, don’t bring those PJ’s I saw at the T-board. Sydney, you’re coming too, but one thing, leave your shrink kit here, ok?"

Sydney nodded reluctantly.

„Good we're off in two hours, then. Oh, Broots, by the way where is Jarod?" Parker asked.

„In a little Virginia town called Lure," Broots answered.

„Great!! A lot of fun in perspective!" Parker said, sarcastically.

****

Lure, Virginia
Meanwhile

While they are walking through the park, Valerie tells Jarod, „Ellyr is very fond of you, you know?"

„I’m under his charm too, he is such a lovely boy!" Jarod tells her.

„Jarod…I’d like to ask you something very important. Maybe it will seem a little impromptu for you…"

Jarod was a little worried, he had the feeling that she was concealing something but he couldn’t put his finger on it. He just smiled slightly.

„Well, I’d like you to be my son’s father if something bad happens to me." Jarod was shocked. His mind was racing, *Me ? Ellyr’s father? We don’t even know each other well, and I’m on the run!*

Valerie started to explain, „When my best friend lost her parents, they put her in an orphanage. BUT she needed friends at that very moment, not an austere orphanage! So she committed suicide from the pain, sorrow and loneliness! Please Jarod! I just want Ellyr to have happiness! I don’t have any relatives and I don’t have friends anymore because I have no time left, between Ellyr and my job to find some." Valerie, finished, crying.

Jarod was on the edge of tears himself, he knew how it was to feel alone between grays walls. He suffered from that all the time. All his soul wanted to do was take good care of Ellyr, BUT HE WAS ON THE RUN ! *God, it was a bad idea to start dating Valerie…but he’d needed a life so much*

„Valérie…Ellyr, he’s not safe with me, you know nothing about the life I live!" Jarod said.

Valerie pleaded, „You’re the only person I’ll ever let take care of my son. Please Jarod!"

Jarod was very shaken, why did she want to leave him her son, if she dies?

Nevertheless he took her in his arms and soothed her. „Shush, Val. I love Ellyr, I’ll take good care of him if something would happen to you." *Jarod, you jerk!* he thought to himself. *You’re making an impossible promise!*

„Shush Val, shush, I love your son, and I’ll take good care of him if something bad happens to you…* Jarod what are you doing!!!! You’re such a jerk! You’re making an impossible promise*

He was worried. Parker and her team would be here soon, how will he explain to Valérie that he has to leave? But right now he soothed her.

Valérie’s sobs slowed down, she wiped her tears away, and continued her way in silence. Jarod followed and took her hand. He accompanied her to her house and went to his hotel room, he had to think!

***

Virginia
Jarod’s room

*Well first I must suppress all trails here and forecast my escape: they should be here in three hours: that won’t be easy!

One hour later, with all the trails suppressed and a plan forecasted, Jarod decided to see Valérie again.

***

Valérie’s house

Jarod had rung already three times and still there was no answer. Worried he tried to open the door, it wasn’t locked.

He entered and headed for the living-room: on the table was a piece of paper:

Dear Jarod,

I’m sorry I didn’t have the courage to say it to you: I am seriously sick, my doctor said I had just two weeks! I was scared for my son, I didn’t want him in an orphanage when he was so young. Besides the doctor told me that I would suffer a lot before dying. I couldn’t let my son see me like that, I want him to remember me as I was, healthy!

I’m sorry Jarod, but I have to do this.
The adoption papers are ready, I’ve already signed them. Ellyr is at his day nursery. Take good care of him and tell him I love him very, very much and, that I’m sorry. That I would have liked a different life with him.

Don’t forget to tell him many times that I love him, and that it wasn’t his fault that I left.

Valérie

There were dried tears on the letter, and now Jarod’s were falling on.

He was like tore apart in the inside, he stood still there ten minutes, just crying all the tears he could manage.

Then he reminded himself that time was running out. Miss Parker will be here soon for her weekly visit. *so caring of her.* He took the papers and left to get Ellyr, he’ld have to explain to him his mother’s suicide, it’s gonna be tough…

****

Lure, Virginia
The Matrimonial Agency

Miss Parker burst inside the agency shortly followed by Sydney and Broots
„Have you seen this man," she asked dryly to one employee.

„Sure, he’s working for us!! But wasn’t here today, must be ill, we’ve tried to call but we had no luck."

„You don’t know anything else? One detail or something?"

„No," the man said.

„Not even a red note book?" Parker persisted.

„Not even a red note book!"

„Well thanks," she said coming back to the entrance where Broots and Sydney was waiting.

„What happened, Parker?" Syd asked, so intrigued that he didn’t overhear nasty words.

„Jarod worked well here, but he’s missing since this morning and he didn’t even leave his red note book."

„Quite strange !! Something serious must have happened to him!" He suggested ( a worried look on his face)

Parker said, „Oh come on Daddy Syd, you know that nothing can happen to your dear lab rat, he’s a genius! A pretender! A fire-fighter! A doctor! A stunt man, a…" She answered quite irritated. (maybe jealous who knows!!)

„So we missed the chance to catch him AGAIN? Tell me Syd? I’m right, aren’t I? And you, Broots? No objections either?" she said fuming.

Broots and Syd chose smartly to shut up to preserve their lives or at least their health.

Parker said, „Good! Broots check every register of every hotel and book me a room for tonight in the best one, we’re staying here for the night."

„Hum … And … Us ? Can we take a room too?" Broots asked shyly.

„Of course not Broots! You’ll sleep under the first bridge you’ll see as usual!" she answered exasperated *he could be such an idiot sometimes!!*

***

A short time later, on a plane for Texas

Ellyr had finally fallen asleep after a long time of cry about his mother death. He breathed noisily on the shoulder of Jarod. Jarod stared at him sadly, he was feeling Ellyr's sorrow inside. Jarod took out his cell phone.

„What?" Miss Parker answered, hoping it wasn't Jarod.

Jarod said, „Nice to hear you Miss Parker, for lack of seeing you."

„Aha. What happened to you that you didn't even warn your employer from your departure, and without mentioning you didn't leave trails or a red notebook?"

„Oh Parker, I'm sorry, I didn't know that you had developed a dependence from them!" Jarod said.

„Jarod," Parker began, „All you'll obtain if you continue in that way it's that a hang up, ok?"

„Do you want kids?" Jarod asked.

„What?!"

„Do you want to have a child?" Jarod asked seriously. „To have your own kid to make eat, to hug, to laugh with? To watch his first steps, his first babbling?"

„Why are you asking that, Jarod?" she asked pacified. *Yeah sometimes I think about that, but it is not for me, after all I am the Ice-Queen and I work for the Centre: the organization which destroys the lives of children!*

„You know I can't have children because of my job, Jarod," Parker said.

„Because of the organization you're working for…not your job."

„Same difference!"

„No it's not, maybe that means that the Centre is not for you…" Jarod stated.

„You know I can't quit! Besides, Thomas died because of that!" Parker shouted.

Jarod asked, „So, if you would be allowed to have kids, would you like to have one?"

„It's none of your business, Jar!"

„I'm waiting your answer ……bye," Jarod said, and he hung up.

Miss Parker was now lost in her thoughts like each time after Jarod's call.

She hated to admit it, but she liked his phone calls: they make her think they make her…Perhaps it comforts her. *Oops did I call him Jar at the end? I hope he didn't notice!

So, Jarod seems to want a kid?! How cute! What if he would have a kid? He certainly would be a good father! And then he will stop calling me, or the Centre, to stay concealed from us? And what will I do then?*

****

The Centre
Two days after

The team is back at home after useless prospecting about Jarod. Brigitte is there to " congratulate" them.

„So, once again you failed!!!" Brigitte said happily.

„What intuition you have!!! Your pregnant state seems to wake some new abilities in you!!" Parker said sarcastically.

„Aha, very funny!! I would have like to help but with your little sibling in his way… (she pointed to her belly), the doctor said that I shouldn't work" She stated with the biggest smirk she could manage.

„Ohhhh Too baaaaaaaaaadd for you!!!!" She answered sarcastically. „So now what about leaving big sister and her fellows alone? Because your lovely mother must be tired now, now that she’s tried to align two words, hmm?" Parker said, speaking to Brigitte's belly.

„Oh and one last thing: you don't have you're lollipop anymore, you just had a surgery to remove it? It must have been have been painful!"

And she left soon followed by Sydney and Broots both smiling: It's quite funny those confrontations sometimes…

****

Once in her office:

„Rhhaaaa!! I can't stand her!!!!!!!!! What's doing my father with her!!!!!! She has nothing attiring!!!!" Parker shouted.

„Calm down Parker," Sydney told her.

„NO! I can't! If you would have this family, do you really think you'll be always smiling? Otherwise, no problem I’ll give it to you! What a lovely gift!! Any sane person wouldn’t accept it! Okay! So now I want everybody at his work, okay? And I don’t want anyone to leave without having found Jarod’s new location."

Broots obeyed immediately and rushed to his safe place, but Sydney just shrugged, thinking about how she manage such change of subject so quickly!

***

Miss Parker’s Office
She's still alone
One hour later

„It's about one hour, I'm thinking about his last lair and still no indices!!! He should have left something though!!" she moaned.

But suddenly she had a flash: She had seen a tourist prospectus promoting a rodeo contest in Texas in his trashcan.

„Well let's think!!! Apparently he left precipitately so he took the first thing he had think about…So he's in Nigia!"

„You're entirely mine now!" she said triumphantly.

***

Miss Parker finally found his place thanks to a barman. She took her gun and was searching for a way to enter. She found it.

Parker said, „Hellllooooo Jarod, how lucky you are!!! You just won a simple going to Delaware in a personal jet for free!!!!"

Jarod frozen, *what? Miss Parker? Now?* Jarod was terrified but tried to sound unaffected.

Pretending to think about it, Jarod said, „Hum, very tempting! But I ‘m afraid I have to say no, I’ve already been there, and I wasn’t satisfied at all by the service offered."

„Come on and see !! Maybe there was a change for the better?"

„Sure Miss Parker, and you’re Garfield !!!!!" Jarod said humorlessly.

Confused, Parker asked, „What?"

„You know? The cartoon? With a cat?"

„Jarod the problem is not me but you! Where do you learn all this stupid stuff!?"

„It’s incredibly hilarious!! Especially Calvin&Hobbes!!" Jarod told her.

„Well, that’s enough! You lost Jarod!! Now you come back with me."

Jarod started, „Well, there’s a little problem here …"

„I’m counting to three Jarod: one…"

But just at that moment, Ellyr who just had had a nightmare, and was getting thirsty came out of his bedroom.

Miss Parker nearly fainted at Ellyr’s word, „Daddy."

„Miss Parker, please hide your gun quickly!" Jarod pleaded.

She didn’t even think, but obeyed *A boy? He has a boy?!*

She was very disappointed and … something else but she couldn’t put a word on this feeling.

„Who is she?" Asked Ellyr when he saw her.

„Just an old friend who came to say hello!" Jarod improvised.

„At this hour?"

„Here, take your water and go back to bed, ok?"

Ellyr said, „Ok, ok. Good night!!" He returned to his room.

But Miss Parker was still in shock and not moving. So Jarod came in front of her and made some sign with his hand in front of her eyes: No reaction.

„Miss Parker??" Jarod asked.

„What?" She yelled, „And stop those stupid sign immediately!!"

„I give you three second to explain me what was…that!!" She said, pointing at Ellyr’s bedroom’s door.

„Ok ok, Keep cool! First sit down."

„You’re a daddy! With who? When? How!" Parker asked, shocked.

„It’s strange how you can change your mind!! Two minutes ago you didn’t want to listen to me…"

Miss Parker aimed her gun at him.

„Ok! So, first, for how: I think you know it, for when: four years ago, for who: Valérie, for am I a daddy: no I’m not." Jarod explained.

Miss Parker stared at him blankly.

*Dammit. What’s the matter with me!!! Am I happy? Sad? Jealous that he has a life and I don’t? Indifferent?*

„I adopted him! You know it’s a long story…"

Miss Parker felt lucid again.

Parker said, „You have all my attention, Jarod."

Jarod told her the story; she just stared at him, mouth open.

„…then we flew quickly before your arrival." He finished.

Ensue a big silence at the end of the story:

Jarod was trying to guess what MP will do next

Miss Parker was searching a smart remark but decided it wasn’t the good time and think rather at what she have to do now.

Jarod spoke first, „Tomorrow is Ellyr’s birthday, please, let us have this day together, I promised him his best birthday…Besides he misses his mother, he needs someone now!" It’ll change her mind, he implored.

What could she do? She had suffered herself from the lack of her mother. And Catherine’s died Miss-Parker’s gift in the hand.

Miss Parker nearly cried at those thoughts. * Shit, mummy why did you leave me alone!!! Why?*

Parker said, „Ok Jarod, but only tomorrow; I’m doing this for Ellyr because i know how it is to lost a mother. But you have to find someone to take care of him, the Centre still want you." She answered softly still shaken by the thoughts she had.

Jarod rushed at her feet and said on his knees:

„Oh Parker thank you !! thank you so very much."

She nearly jumped of surprise. She wanted to smile but instead, she pulled her gun to him. „Ola Romeo!! It’s the wrong time with the wrong person: so stay away!"

Jarod chuckled and stood up.

„You can take the free room: the second door," Jarod told her.

„Nice try Jarod, but there ‘s no way I’m going to leave you alone."

„Sorry ?"

„You understood perfectly!! Nevertheless, I’ll give you two choices:

Either I handcuff you at your bed with ten handcuffs ( to be sure) and I sleep in another room

Or we sleep in the same room."

At her words, she saw his eyes sparkle.

Parker said, „I said in the same room! Not in the same bed!! So, keep your fantasy for yourself, ok?"

„May I propose a third choice?( he didn’t even wait the answer that he knew would have been no) You can sleep with Ellyr. I won’t flew without him…"

„No way. Let’s go to your room then. Of course, I take the bed" She said with a fake smile.

„Of course," he grumbled.

„And of course you’ll have one handcuff though."

„It was too nice to be true…" Jarod said.

Once in the room, Parker locked the door and handcuffed him at the foot of the bed.

„Now look at the windows, so that I can change. And wipe that goofy smile of yours off!!" Parker commanded.

„Ok, may I have something to put on the floor because it’s kinda cold here…" Jarod asked.

„I don’t care Jarod."

„But the Centre won’t like it if I’m sick…„ he suggested.

She gave him one of the cover of the bed exasperated.

Parker fell asleep rapidly: she made a big way to come here, but Jarod was in big thoughts. *What can I do now that I’m stuck here with the Ice Queen, well maybe a little pretend thing will help…*

****

The Morning
Jarod’s lair


Parker slowly opened her eyes * what am I doing there? Oh yes, Jarod!* She sighed relieved *oh wait, where is he by the way* She turned her head to the floor where Jarod was supposed to be . But she saw instead a little bunny attached to the bed by her handcuffs.

On the bunny was written : please release me.

„Shit Jarod!!" Parker shouted, frustrated. She took her gun and rushed in the kitchen.

Jarod was there coolly preparing breakfast.

„Hello Miss Parker!! ( seeing her gun) what? The bunny hadn’t been nice to you?" Jarod sang out.

„It was very funny Jarod really," she answered her eyes shining with an I-want-to-kill-you glow.

„Why didn’t you escape?" Parker asked Jarod.

„I told you, it’s Ellyr’s birthday today, I promised him a no hiring day: the best day of his life!!" Jarod hoped she ate this poor excuse, because if he stayed it was too to see how Miss Parker would behave. It was a dangerous game but after all, he like those sort of games. She sat at the table. A big silence ensue.
Jarod broke it first:

„Miss Parker, I really appreciate your move for Ellyr. I try to do absolutely everything to make him happy but it’s really hard sometimes!! There’s no day without him reclaiming his mother. Each night he cries of sorrow…"

„It’s normal, Jarod: he’s still in mourning: it was just one month ago!! You can’t replace her mother; besides she’ll become the perfection for him: you can’t challenge with her."

„So Parker, why are you always searching for your daddy’s approval? Why do you absolutely want to be like him if your mother is your ideal?"

„Jarod!! It’s not the same thing in not the same context!! First my mother was assassinated and did not committed suicide like her mother; and I spent my childhood in a somber organization." she answered bitterness in her voice. Feeling weak suddenly. She finally added harshly, „and it’s none of your damn business!!"

„I think it’s the lack of love. But at your age you need the love of a man, not of a daddy!! You found that with Thomas, but once again the one you loved died!! But it’s not you the problem Parker! It’s the Centre: it’s destroying your life You know it but you don’t want to admit it!!!"

„So why did you ask Jarod if you knew it? To show me how you’re a good pretender? Besides you’re so sure of yourself! You’re not my shrink Jarod! Nor my man! Shit Jarod! Leave me alone for once. Won’t you never stop?" She shouted. She was really hurt by what he said, it was so true. Damn it, he have right; again: *I’m the Ice Queen* daddy’s father a voice added on her head.

Just when a sleepy Ellyr still stretching himself entered.

„Good morning, young boy!! And Happy birthday!" Jarod said.

Ellyr said happily, „Wow, you already thought about it?"

„Yep! I told ya: we’re gonna have a wonderful day!"

„Yeah, but mommy used to remember it only at noon" he said cheerfully.

„Oh: look: women are just like that: they have a tendency to be long! Just look at Parker : she still hadn’t wish you a happy birthday!" Jarod told Ellyr. *Well go on Parker: after all you have no chance but to be nice!*

„Happy birthday Ellyr! How old are you today?" Parker said.

„4!" Ellyr said.

„You’re no longer a little boy.(just to say something)"

„How long will you stay with us?" Asked Ellyr.

Parker and Jarod glanced at each other.

„Well, I don’t know right now. Come on: you’re breakfast is waiting for you." Parker said.

One hour later they were ready to leave

„So WonderBoy? Where are we going to?"

Jarod stared at her making some smirks * what do he want? oh yes! WonderBoy!*

Ellyr, confused, asked, „Why do you call him WonderBoy?"

„It’s just that I impress her with my genius ability: she’s just jealous!" Jarod explained.

Parker nudged him and whispered to him: (at lacking of killing him): „you should thank Ellyr to be here because otherwise you wouldn’t have the chance to have a next generation anymore!"

„So we’re going to Disneyland! After all we’re in Florida!"

„Yay! It’s so great, I always dreamt about it!!" Ellyr said happily.

„And you Parker, aren’t you happy too?" Jarod asked.

„Oh sorry Jarod, did I forget to exteriorize my inside’s joy?" * he couldn’t have found worse*

****

That very day: In the late afternoon
Jarod ‘s lair


„Pfuuuuuu! Not unhappy to be back!! I’m exhausted!" Parker said.

„Yeah it was so cool!" Ellyr said.

„Yep son! Oh, I heard about nocturnal attractions not far away: we could…"

„No way Jarod! You won’t kill me today!"

Jarod and Ellyr glanced at each other before breaking into laughter, and they both said, „It was a joke, Miss Parker!"

„What? It’s a Russel conspiracy to drive me crazy?"

And at her words, she couldn’t help but laugh with them * hey, what’s bad with me? I ‘ve never laughed like that for a while! Damn it feel good * Meanwhile Jarod was in big thoughts too * she’s really gorgeous when she smiles* Their laughs died, ensued by an oppressing silence: Parker and Jarod still engrossed in their respective thoughts and looking at each other while a curious Ellyr was wondering what they were up to. *oh god I want to kiss him, he’s so handsome! Parker hold yourself: it’s Jarod, remember!*

Suddenly Jarod became conscious of the awkwardness of the situation:

Jarod suggested, „Hum, well maybe it’s time for Ellyr to take his bath!"

„Oh nooooo, I already took one…" Ellyr moaned.

Jarod said, "Two days ago!" Ellyr resigned himself.

„Please, Parker can you take care of him while I make dinner?„ Jarod asked.

„I can cook, you know?"

„No, that’s ok, besides you wouldn’t find the different items…"

„As you want!" * What’s so terrible that he don’t want to wash him?* They soon disappeared in the bathroom while Jarod was heading for the kitchen.

***

In the bathroom

„How do have you know Jarod?" Ellyr asked.

„From my childhood but he left, so now we’re seeing each other less often," She answered, bitterness in her tone.

„So, how did you like today? Did you have a good time?"

*Well without lying I had a wonderful day: we laughed all day, and I really enjoyed the park. I would have never suspected that (if the Centre know!!)!! Jarod is really a good father , he has happiness after all(maybe for the first time in his life) But me? Hum! I never had so fun since a while* Parker thought.

„I spent a wonderful day with you and Jarod: I can even say that sometimes you’re more a grown-ups than Jarod!!" She stated, smiling with kindness. „You know Ellyr, I think Jarod is really a good father. He loves you very much!"

Ellyr said, „I love Jarod too!"

„Sure!" * shit! How can I bring Jarod back to the Centre now!*

„Jarod said he had one father but don’t see him anymore. And you? Do you have a Father?"

She began to undress him (remember it’s just a little boy!)

„Yes, I have a father. But he never really paid attention to me; he always wants me to be the best."

„And your mother?" Ellyr questioned.

*Damn *

„She died when I was a child: just like you, and I know how you feel. But no matter what, remember that she loves you."

„Yeah, it’s really hard sometimes, I love Jarod but I miss Mommy very much!"

But unknown to them, Jarod was listening to the entire conversation ( there was you know like a talkie-walkie between the kitchen and the bathroom)

Jarod was touched: So he had right: she was more like a mother! It must be good for the two of them to speak about that together. And she said she actually had a good day!!!!!!! Jarod was delighted to see her happy and smiling : she was too often the Ice Queen. But what was that feeling? Why he was so peaceful and happy today? Because they were like a family? The family he ever dreamt about? Why does it make him happy to see her happy? Does he ..? no he can’t be!* I’m not!!*

****

Back in the Bathroom.

Ellyr is now in his bath playing with some toys. Miss Parker was kneeling down ready to soap him.

„What’s your first name Parker?" Ellyr asked, curious.

Miss Parker froze. * my first name?*

„Well, Ellyr, I don’t like to tell it."

„Why? Please Miss Parker! I won’t say it to anyone! Does Jarod know it?"

„Yes," she whispered, remembering the good old time where not everything was so complicated! The time she was in… no she can’t say it!!* I can’t even admit it!*

„Please tell me!!"

„OK, but it will be our secret. Don’t even say it to Jarod ok?"

„I promise!" Ellyr said.

„My name is Illena." Parker whispered.

„Illena? Oh, it suits you well! I love it!"

Parker blushed a little: that was exactly what Jarod had told her.

„Thank you Ellyr."

*****

Jarod in his kitchen smiled* this is very interesting!*

******

Parker was now about to soap him when she felt like…how to say….soaked!

After a rapid inquiry, she understood: ( a clue like seeing a now very happy Ellyr gloating in his bath helped her)

She stayed still turning only her head and her killing eyes to him:

„EEEELLLLLYYYRRRRR!!!! You’ll pay for that!! And don’t even try to do that again or I…" Parker screamed.

„Or what? You’re gonna kill me?" He said between to giggles.

„Oh you’re just like Jarod!!!: Frustrating, childish and annoying!" She yelled with more enjoyment than exasperation.

„Now get out! And dress yourself! I have to speak with your dear father!" She headed for the kitchen calling after him with her nicest tone: „Jarod? Honey? Where are you?"

Jarod turn around to see a very wet Parker. He burst into laughter, „Miss Parker, the bath wasn’t for you!!!! Besides you should undress before going in!"

„Ah Ah Ah!!! Very, very funny! You didn’t warn me it was such a difficult mission," she answered, a sadistic smile growing at the corner of her mouth…

„Oh!!! How absent-minded!"

„Sure!! And if I forgive you for your „absent-mindedness" will you forgive me my awkwardness?" She tossed a full bottle of cold water at him.

„Aaaaaaaaaah, You want war?????? You have it!!!" Jarod shouted.

And soon he was running after her ( how ironic he thought)

„I’ll catch you Parker! Don’t fight!" He caught her.

„You know Parker, I heard that women just like to spend a lot of time in the bathroom…" He lifted her up and carried her to the bathroom.

„Jarod!!! NO!! Don’t even think about it or…"

„Or what?????? You gonna kill me?" He asked, just like Ellyr.

And she landed in the warmth of the water, splashing water everywhere.
„You’re really insufferable, Jarod!! Do you know that?"

„Yep!" He answered smiling broadly.

Looking at his goofy smile made her melt * god, he ‘s good!!* But it wasn’t the time to think about it! No, now was time for revenge .

„Jarod you won!! Now please help me to stand up." He held his out to her, she took it, and pulled him into the tub with her.

„PARKEEEEERRRR!!!"

So they finally stood there : Jarod on the top of her in the middle of the water!
Their laugh died rapidly, both now conscious of their closeness. His eyes locked into her deep blue eyes: they were smiling and even…longing!

Then his eyes wandered to her mouth, which was only inches apart from his. Meanwhile Miss Parker was following his eyes’ movements .

*Is he about to kiss me?? Just right now??* But before she even ended her thoughts she was closing her eyes waiting for the promised kiss. Jarod was stunned she wasn’t pulling him away ( it was quite the contrary actually) But he stopped thinking overwhelmed by her perfume, by her closeness and reached her lips. It was so good, so soft Since none of them wanted to end it, the kiss deepened. Both enjoying the touch, the magic moment they were in, the kiss they dreamt about but always denied.
(Just imagine: J & MP kissing in the now nearly empty bath!!!! ;-)

But Ellyr’s voice broke the magic, „Daddy! Daddy! Something is burning in here!"

„Nooooo!!" Jarod reluctantly broke the kiss and extracted himself from the water, not daring to really look at Miss Parker.

„I’m coming, Ellyr." Jarod went and stopped the fire which had started.

„Why are you so wet?" Asked a giggling Ellyr.

„Parker got her revenge on me!!! Are you happy now?" Jarod asked.

„Oh yes!!"

„Come on and give me a big hug, Ellyr!"

„NO! NO! Miss Parker!! Help me please! Help!" Ellyr shouted.

Parker, now out of the bathroom, heard Ellyr’s entreaty but she definitely wasn’t ready to help him. After all, it’s him whom began all this mess: So she just came to help Jarod.

„Eeeeehhhhh! Why aren’t you on my side!?"

„Maybe because you were the first one to splash me!" Parker joked. And with that, Jarod and Parker caught him and hugged him.

„Oh no. I’ll have to put an another pajamas now!" Ellyr said.

Together, Jarod and Parker both said, „Too bad!"

And they all laughed.

A few minutes later

„Well, I’m gonna lend you some of my clothes since yours are no more useful," he said smiling

Parker looked at her reflection in the mirror and saw that her sweet shirt was now quite … hum well you can see through it!

„You bastard! Just continue to look at me with that smile and i swear you’re gonna die slowly very slowly!!" screamed Parker.

„Yes chef!", Jarod left, grabbed her some clothes, came back, and said, „You can go to the bathroom and change."

„Jarod! Have you really thought only one second that i would have changed myself in front of you?"

„OH! No!" He answered trying to hide his blushing

„Well! Not even in your dreams!" She left, heading towards the bathroom.

„We’ll see about that," Jarod murmured persuaded that she couldn’t understand

Jarod sat on the sofa and thought his eyes still stick to the bathroom door. *oh god! What I do now? What was that kiss?? Why she did not pull away? And why I want to join her in there right now!! She ‘s Miss Parker!!!

*******

Meanwhile in the bathroom.

*What did I get myself into? Did I kiss him??? oh wait: HE kissed me ( but you didn’t pulled away ! A little voice chimed in). OH gosh !! I’m sure he must be wondering why I’ve done that, right now!* Well lets think at something else!

„So what did he chose for me? Black jeans and a large white pull-over?! Is he trying to prevent some other guys to stare at me or something?" * Parker you’re getting stupid*

After all Jarod is the reason your life is hell! Why do you care? But her attempted to get mad at him failed.

*It’s really time I get back to the Centre to focus because here between his perfume and him it’s … well… more complicated.*

„Well, here we are! Let’s eat!" Parker said.

**************************

Jarod and Ellyr were there waiting for her.

„Sorry I’m late."

„Don’t be! You’re not!" Jarod told her.

The dinner was quite quiet, Parker and Jarod still disturbed and shameful of their behavior vis-à-vis of the other.

Ellyr asked, „Why aren’t you two married?"

Miss Parker and Jarod nearly spilt out their food ! *Oops bad question* Ellyr thought. None of them seemed to want to speak , waiting for the other to answer him. Finally Jarod said, „Why this question Ellyr? * Is this THIS obvious? What is obvious by the way* he mused.

„ Well, it’s just that you seem to be … happy together: it’s remind me a little mommy and daddy…" Ellyr explained.

Miss Parker was staring all the time blankly at Ellyr (as if he had spoken in Chinese) and was speechless * What is he trying to insinuate ?*

Jarod in the other hand was quite embarrassed: What must I answer??

Miss Parker finally got it and decided (reluctantly) that’s it was her turn to speak.

„You see Ellyr, we can’t get married because we are hardly friends…

But Ellyr was obviously not buying it.

She couldn’t say that to be married, you‘ve got to be in love with the other because…because it was like admit that she feels that way for him and she definitely wasn’t ready to admit it in front of him.

*AND I’m everything BUT in love with HIM!* She thinks.

Ellyr said, „I still don’t understand…"

„Well it doesn’t matter right now ok? So please eat you soup it’s gonna be cold." Jarod told him.

And after that they all ate in silence.


Ten minutes later

„It’s time to go to bed Ellyr." Jarod said.

„Yeah! I know." (he decided wisely not to be boring tonight since his last question had seemed to be a very bad idea!! He exited the room.

***

The Kitchen
Miss Parker and Jarod are alone

„Kids are enigma sometimes…aren’t they?" Jarod asked.

„Quite embarrassing too!" Parker replied.

„Yes." He nodded.

The conversation was quite touch and go for both of them and Parker decided that she had to get out of it, „I’m gonna check on Ellyr."

„Okay, I’ll come once I get the washing done to read him his story.

***********************

Ellyr’s Bedroom
Miss Parker and Ellyr


Miss Parker came in shyly, „So good night Ellyr."

„Yeah," Ellyr said sadly.

„What is it?" Parker asked.

„It’s ok."

„It doesn’t sound like it’s ok. Tell me!" She persisted.

„I didn’t mean to bother you and Jarod with my question."

„Oh, don’t worry about that! Actually, our relationship is complicated and we don’t even know ourselves which kind of relationship we have… I know it’s nonsense but…That’s why we made a pity job to answer you!

„Maybe." Ellyr said.

„Well, I’m leaving you now." She kissed him on his forehead waved him good by and murmured, „Have some nice dreams! And remember: Mommy loves you!"

„Thank you! Thank you, Illena," he whispered back.

She stared at him, absently. It really was a long time since she had heard her name! But it felt good! And then she remembered Thomas’s words „Maybe it’s time to create your own family…" *But I’m working in the Centre Thomas!*

Miss Parker stood up and headed for the door.

„Good bye Ellyr! It was really nice to meet you," She closed the door behind her.

She nearly bumped on Jarod who was standing in front of the door (he was about to go in) He remarked that Parker was in one of her (seldom) weak moment and decided not to spoiled it. So he left her alone and entered.

Ellyr was strangely quiet. „What’s up Ellyr? You look thoughtful."

„No, I was just waiting for you."

Well, I’m here! What to you want to read tonight?" Jarod asked.

„I don’t know, you could tell me your story, Jarod…" Ellyr said.

Jarod stayed still* so soon! Hum I’m sure it’s because Parker’s presence!*

„My story is sad and boring. It’s your birthday today! I don’t want to spoil your mood! What about read something cheerful?" He paused, then continued, „Oh I nearly forgot! I bought you a new book: Zorgy and the little Raccoon.

„That was the one I wanted! Thank you Jar! I love you!" Ellyr said happily.

„Same here Ellyr, same here."

While leaving Ellyr’s room, Jarod frowned. How will he manage now to make Parker understand to let them free? He walked thus into the kitchen engrossed in his thoughts. He sat at the table and only then he remarked that Parker wasn’t there. Just a piece of paper on the table with her handwriting

Jarod,

You’re free for tonight. But you have to find someone else to take care of Ellyr though. You know like me that he is not safe with the Centre around you.

Because the Centre will bring you back and because Ellyr cant’ have a proper education if you’re always on the run. I’m not saying you’re a bad father because it’s obviously not the case but…

I don’t thank you for the clothes because I know where you find the money to buy them and I’m think you’ll manage to have some new ones with this very same money.
But once again: remember: the Centre wants YOU back.

I.P

„Illena Parker," he whispered.

„Well she said the Centre wants me back, not her! There’s a good change there!" He then took his cell phone.

Miss Parker was now far from there, far from this young child and above all far from him!
*how could I have kissed him? Do I have some suicidal instinct??? What am I gonna do! I hate it when he do that to me. Oh wait! I’m sure he set up this whole mess! The bastard!!* she raged
But her thoughts were interrupted by her phone’s ringing.

She didn’t want to answer thinking it could be Him but thinking that it may be Sydney or the Centre. So she took the call.

„What?"

„Thank you so much, Parker."

„Just leave me alone, you bastard," She told Jarod.

„What are you talking about?" He asked cluelessly.

„You planned everything to give me some reason to leave you alone!

„What?" He answered astounded. „Of course not! How could I have, besides?? I didn’t know you would come!"

„You can pretend."

„But Ellyr? Do you really think I’d rent him to someone ‘please leave me your kid for the day I need him! Here’s 100$.’ It’s absolutely absurd!! And how can he pretend?? What is the reel reason you’re mad at me for?? Because you were too damn happy today? That’s it?"

„I could say the same for you Jarod! Why are you angry with me? Because I’m not listening to your advises? You’re not god! And I’m not your marionette!"

They both became silent during what seemed a very long time : none of them thought even to hang up ( too engrossed in their respective thoughts).

Two minutes later

„Parker? Are you still there?" He asked kindly this time.

„I’m here." Parker said.

„Look, I’m sorry: you’re right: I’m not god and I don’t have to coerce you into leaving the Centre. I’ll try to …Remember that in the future." Jarod told her.

„Wow. Is BoyWonder actually saying that he is WRONG?" Parker asked in disbelief.

„Yeah! And you would be here I would be already at your feet begging for your forgiveness!" He said teasingly

„Sure! I’m dying to see that! Remember me to ask you to do that the next time we meet!"

„Not even in your dreams, Parker!"

„We’ll see about that," she smirked.

„Well it’s getting late…" Jarod said.

„Yes it is…"

„Well so… Good night…" Jarod told her.

„Good night Jarod!"

They were both surprised when the call ended because it was the first time they were ending a call with a good bye and a good mood

****

Back at the Centre:

Miss Parker unluckily bumped into her dearly brother, Mr. Lyle.

„Sis!! You’re back! Where have you been all this time? Eloping with Jarod on the Caribbean?" He said, attempting a new humorous self(even if Parker thought that he wasn’t that wrong!!).

„Are you kidding? In the Caribbean?? We were on Florida!" And with that she left trying not to smirk at the irony of her answer.

„By the way Sis, Daddy wants to hear more about your trip!" Lyle told her.

She decided to ignore his last statement and decided to check on her crew.

****

Broots’ office
Sydney & Broots

„Try to drink rapidly your coffee, Broots, before you spill it on yourself when Miss Parker comes in." Sydney advised Broots.

But of course, Broots, startled by the idea of her coming at any minutes spilled his coffee anyway.

And when Miss Parker entered, she saw Sydney laughing loudly and Broots on his all fours trying to dry up the coffee

„I’m back! I want results about Jarod’s whereabouts!!" She hissed.

Together, Syd and Broots said, „Oh you’re back!!"

„Oh, and Broots, please be kind enough to at least wait for me to spill your coffee!"

And on that she left, making her way out to her Father’s office

„Well, she’s kinda in good mood, isn’t she?" Broots said.

„She even forgot to listen to our last conclusion on Jarod’s lead," He answered in his usual placid way.

„Well it give me hardly 30 minutes to find something interesting out of those breadcrumbs!" Broots winked at Sydney.

***

Mr. Parker’s Office

Mr. Parker said, "No angel!!! You’re not that focused! I want results!! And I don’t want you to go alone to one „possible" lair of Jarod anymore!! Is that clear?" He admonished her

„Yes Daddy."

„Good, you may leave now," He told his daughter.

Miss Parker left without good bye, after all he was treating her like an employee then she’ll treat him like her boss!

***

When Parker arrived at night at her sanctuary, her home sweet home, she was tired and confused and craving for her bed. She was too exhausted to think, she fell asleep instantly.

***

Morning

She jerked out of her bed at the strident ringing of her alarm clock. Disoriented for a second, she panicked. Then when her thoughts got a semblance of meaning she got conscious of the headache which was growing insidiously.

Damn!! What I have done to deserve THAT??????? She moaned.

She stirred herself out of her warm quilt ( cursing Jarod on the process) and made her way out to the kitchen.

There, was lying on the table, a glass of aspirin and a little note.

Trying not to think too much (because it would certainly just aggravate her headache), she grabbed the paper to see what she had feared the most: Jarod ‘s handwriting!

„Jarod! How dare you to do that to me???? Do you want that much to kill me…"

Patiently she sipped her aspirin (certainly it had been prepared carefully by The Best pain-in-the-ass she knows …a.k.a Jarod) while perusing his letter.

Parker,

I’m sure you’re furious because I’ve followed you and came in without asking (but I’m sure you would have been even more pissed if I had woken you up).You told me to find someone to take care of Ellyr, I’ve found someone.Nonetheless I won’t forsake him! He needs me, but you have the right thought, something can happen to me. That’s why I’ve decided to make you „her new mother".

Miss Parker choked out her aspirin in no second and cough for a good two long minutes, before she was eventually able to think at the eventuality of perhaps re-read the last Sentence. He CAN’T have thought about ME???

She continued…

Don’t choke the aspirin Parker it is supposed to calm down your headache.

„That Bastard!!"

I know it’s kinda impromptu and pointless but I’ve been growing caring for him and I’m realizing that I can’t leave without him anymore. It made me realize too, that I’m alone on this planet! I’ve met a lot of people, but I have just one anchor: You and Sydney. You’ve always been here and always will be.

Besides Ellyr got acquainted to you and seemed to appreciate you ( besides you’re remembering of her mother because you do look like her .)

So you’re the best Match.

I know you think it’s crazy: but it can work. We can even set up some encounters between you two without the Centre hearing about it

And if I’m back to the Centre: then you would be free, free to take him wherever you want and begin your own family.
J.

Damn!! Don’t tell me he thought that an aspirin could be enough to get through that????!!!!

*****

The Centre
That very day.

„I’m getting worried! It’s been three days now she left . Something may happened to her!"

Broots said, „Don’t worry Syd! She’s a big girl! I’m sure she’s just fine. Besides the less we hear from her the best she is! NO really? When she’s in good mood (which is very seldom) does she come to bother me about Jarod’s Trail? Nope!"

„That doesn’t convince me, Broots!" Sydney replied.

„What a mother-hen you are, Syd!" Teased Broots.

„Hey, it’s not my fault!! They both needed for someone when they were young and well you kinda get attached you see… I’m gonna phone her in case she’s already back."

***

Miss Parker’s home

Parker had decided to take first a big shower, then drink the strongest coffee she could manage. And perhaps after she would envision to think about his proposal.

While she was making the coffee the phone rang. *This has to be anyone BUT HIM*

„What?" She queried

„Oh, thank god Parker! You’re back!" Sydney said.

Parker was quite taken aback. She hadn’t actually expected to hear Sydney display of relief.

„What is it, Daddy Syd? Should i be happy to have two father who are filling together the entire father aspect (the always worried and careful one, and the always expecting and unsatisfied one) or should I tell you to get lost?"

„Maybe I would just appreciate if you tell me whether or not you are fine?"

„I have a big headache but I’ll make it, Syd! I’ll be back tomorrow and once again empty-handed!" She said bitterly.

„Do you want me to come over or something? You sound like someone who have been through something big." Sydney asked.

*Not something big, Sydney but huge* she thinks Nonetheless she answered with perfect control of her voice that she was ok, that she just needed to end her coffee and that she would be just fine. Even if she was still shaken and dying to ask him some advice about the situation. But it was too important: no one must know about it. Even Syd, even Broots and definitely not her father!

******

Two day have passed since she came back from „the trip" and still no phone call from Jarod.
Miss Parker is back to her own-self. Hell, she’s back in the Centre!

****

This morning.
The Centre

Miss Parker entered Broots room, asked him results on Jarod (the usual) and as Broots had nothing (the usual) she stormed out of his office to go to Sydney’s ( just to make him see she’s pissed.)

****

Sydney office:

„Parker ! You want to talk about something?" Sydney asked.

„Actually, yes" She faked, „I’m gay, Syd and I’m in love with Brigitte." Syd was panicked a second then got it.

„Oh, ok you don’t want to talk. Just say it this way: it’s easier!"

„You nearly fainted, Sydney," she smiled.

„This amusing you?" Syd asked.

Indignately, she replied, „Hey! That’s my line!"

„Patent it, then! So why are you here?"

„That’s what I’m wondering now! Would I be that dumb to come here just to quarrel with you? Noooo! Of course not: there is a purpose," She said vehemently.

„What, then," he asked, amused.

Miss Parker had to come up with something quite quickly if she didn’t want to sound dumb!

Just when Broots burst inside asking for Parker.
(she thanked him inwardly for that)

„What," she snapped.

„Lyle just came by and asked me to find you ASAP!" Broots managed to say.

„Well done, Broots. You’ve just found me! Now that you’re job is done maybe you could go back to your computer?"

„But…"

„I don’t want to know Broots: my dear Bro will have to WAIT." Parker said.

„Mr. Parker … he…" Once again Broots trailed off.

„That’s ok Broots! I’m going," She said irritated. „Well, Syd we’ll see that later…"

She left.

****

Miss Parker back at her home, sat on her sofa, exhausted.

Of course her father wanted to know „again" more about her last trip and the reason of her failure. Of course she told him what she had prepared to cover her up.

From there, a mind drifted to Jarod’s „proposition" .

*I can’t do that Jarod!! And you know that!! She exhaled aloud.

Oh gosh! Above all: We KISSED???????? She jumped remembering the „scene"

How could I have done that?? And in the bathroom ?? It’s ridiculous!

She wanted to get ride of the picture ( not that she hadn’t appreciated ) but she couldn’t think about it.*

She decided the best thing to do was to go to bed.



Well it’s the end!!


Don’t forget the feedback! (because I have the means to get you hurt if you don’t do so!) :) :) :)