Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer- Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney, Broots, Sam the Sweeper, Willie, (Whew! Am I done yet?!?) Raines, Lyle, Mr. Parker, Brigitte, and Mrs. Catherine Parker do not belong to me...that was depressing. They belong to NBC and now, maybe, TNT. No infringement intended so please don't sue me. On the other hand any other characters you run across and don't sound familiar are probably mine so you can sue all you want about them, but you won't see a penny.
Author’s Note: Congratulations to Christine for finding the X-Files reference in part 3. J Okay guys…enjoy part 4 and feedback will determine the release of part 5! Thanx! ~Jackie

Survivor
Part 4
By Jaclyn Parker





FAMILY
**********************************************************************

Jarod stretched and glanced over at Miss Parker who was sleeping soundly in the seat next to him and then sighed. He looked past her sleeping form, out the plane window at the passing clouds, but it was getting too dark to see anything other than the night sky and occasionally a star or two. All of a sudden, Parker made a noise in her sleep and shifted in the seat. Her head lolled towards him and it soon found its way to his shoulder. Freezing in his seat he looked at the woman, who now smiled slightly in her comfortable position. He thought back to the hour-long car ride and how close they had seemed in the tiny vehicle. Her perfume had overpowered him and every look she gave him, seemed to pierce his very soul. It was just eerie, if you asked him.

The plane had been delayed and not taken off until close to 8:00PM. Miss Parker had fallen asleep about an hour into the flight and knowing she had not been sleeping well lately, he tried to stay as quiet as possible. It was now nine-thirty and he decided to follow her lead and try to get some sleep. He raised his left arm so that she slumped under it and wrapped it around her shoulders. He put up the armrest that was between them, for it was getting uncomfortable. By doing this, she unconsciously snuggled closer to him and laid her head on his chest. Jarod’s eyes widened and he looked down at the sleeping brunette. She must really be out, he thought to himself. Shaking his head and shrugging, he just pulled her closer and closed his own eyes. Minutes later, he was asleep too.

The stewardess, Christine, began walking up and down the aisles, asking if anyone wanted a blanket or pillow. When she came to the sleeping couple in seats F-11 and F-12, she smiled. They really were a beautiful couple. Christine had enjoyed the way they had bickered about who got the window seat until finally the man, exasperated, had given in. The triumphant look in the pretty woman’s blue eyes had made Christine giggle and think about her and her own husband. The young man, who had made several of the other female stewardesses grin when he had come aboard, had seen it too, but instead of calling her on it he had just smiled at her when she wasn’t looking. Christine had then realized he had only argued with her to get the woman riled up and that had made her laugh out loud, making some of the passengers and her coworkers look at her oddly. She had given the woman, who she had heard the man call Parker, a blanket earlier, but it had fallen to the floor when she shifted to sleep on the man.

Christine leaned over them, replaced the blanket around both of them, and smiled. They seemed so tense around each other when they had first come on, despite the banter between them. That all seemed to disappear in their sleep, where they naturally gravitated towards each other.

A passenger, three rows up, hit his call button and Christine left the sleeping couple to get their rest. She had an instinctive feeling that they needed it.

***********************************************************************

Miss Parker woke first, around 5:30 AM, London time as she had set her watch to earlier before falling asleep. She blinked a few times and tried to move. When she didn’t succeed, she quickly realized that she was lying against Jarod’s chest, with his arm draped over her shoulder holding her close. Her mind rapidly processed this information and she quickly realized that it felt safe.

Shaking those thoughts off immediately, she slipped out from under his arm and brought the armrest back down between them. Miss Parker took this opportunity to study Jarod; her long sought prey that had this time had sought her out. He was sleeping soundly and a lock of hair had fallen over his eyes. She thanked God that he had cut his hair from the hideous look he had been sporting only mere months before, but had kept it a little long. Before she realized what she was doing, she reached her hand up and brushed the stray lock of hair back from his forehead and smiled slightly. He had always been a good-looking man, but when he slept he had almost a boyish look to him. Miss Parker stood and stretched, then carefully edged past him to go to the bathroom. Since there was a slight line, when she returned to her seat Jarod was now awake and reading one of the magazines that were in the pocket in the back of the seat in front of them.

“Oh, you’re up.” she said and squeezed by him to sit down again.

“Yeah. The stewardesses are coming around with coffee. I asked one of them to come back when you did. They also informed me that we are going to be landing in about an hour.” said and pressed the call button. A couple of minutes later, Christine arrived with the coffee cart and handed each of them a cup. After handing them cream containers and sugar packets, she offered them a choice of muffins. Jarod took the double chocolate chip one, while Miss Parker shook her head at him and took a banana nut. Christine smiled and handed them their choices, then moved on.

The hour passed by quickly and before either of them knew it, the plane was landing and it was time to get off. Jarod helped Miss Parker with her two bags that she had carried on the plane, rather than have them in the cargo hold and Jarod grabbed his two and the DSA player. They shuffled into the line of people waiting to get off and just as Miss Parker was about to lose patience, they stepped onto the walkway. Jarod led her over to an empty waiting area and pulled out his cell phone. Dialing a number, he motioned for her to sit. She shook her head and he frowned.

“I’ve been sitting down for over 6 straight hours in an upright position. I want to stand for a bit,” she said glaring at him. He held up at a hand in a “sorry” motion and was about to say something when he heard a voice on the other line.

“Dad?” Jarod said smiling.

“Jarod?” Major Charles’s voice asked happily.

“Yeah, it’s me. We just got in. I'm gonna head to the hotel and get us settled in. Do you want to meet us there?” Jarod said, excited at the thought of seeing his family again.

“Jarod,” Major scolded him gently. “Don’t you think Miss Parker would like to rest a little bit or maybe change first?”

“Oh, yeah.” Jarod said looking at her sheepishly. “Well, what time do you want to meet?”

“Get settled first and call me back. You’re staying at the London Marriott, right?” Major Charles asked his son.

“Yeah.” Jarod answered him and noticed Miss Parker shift one of her bags to the other shoulder. He motioned for Miss Parker to give him one of her bags to carry. Although she looked exhausted, Miss Parker adamantly refused and gave him another glare. He rolled his eyes at the stubborn woman and then motioned for her to follow him.

“Okay, then. When you are ready, ring room 5507.” Major Charles said, the smile on his face coming across on the phone in his voice.

“You’re staying there too?” Jarod exclaimed, grinning from ear to ear. He was now outside the airport, with Miss Parker by his side. He gave her a card to give to the car rental desk and she looked from him to the card, then back to him. He waved his hand towards the rental desk and with a loud sigh she dropped her bags on the ground and went to go get the keys to their rental car. Coming back, with them jangling in her hand, she gave him side-glance and then handed him the car ID number.

“Why didn’t you tell me about that?” Jarod asked his father happily, after taking the keys and ID from Miss Parker.

“It was meant to be a surprise. But don’t even think of ringing us until you let that young woman rest! I have seen her tired and it is not a pretty sight.” Major Charles said, making Jarod laugh.

“I won’t, Dad. I promise. I have to go, but I'll see you soon.” Jarod said, making his way to the rental lot, with Miss Parker at his heels. Finding their silver sedan, Jarod gave the key to Miss Parker so she could unlock the trunk.

“Okay, Son. We’ll be waiting for you. I love you.”

“Love you too, Dad. Tell Em and Jay hi for me.” Jarod said and after his father agreed, he hung up the phone. Grabbing his bags from the ground, he threw them in the trunk of the car along with Miss Parker’s bags. Keeping the DSA player with him, he slid into the driver’s seat of the car and placed it in the back seat.

“I reserved us a room with a king-sized bed.” Jarod said and started up the car. She gave him a funny look and he sighed. “It goes with our cover or else I would have gotten two rooms.”

Miss Parker sighed this time and looked out the window, making Jarod frown. It wasn't like her to not rip him up for something like this.

“Are you okay, Miss Parker?”

“I'm fine, Jarod.” She said in a monotone voice. “I'm just tired.”

Jarod studied her for a moment, then accepting the fact that she wasn’t saying anything more he began to drive to the hotel.

They arrived in a mere ten minutes and Jarod insisted that they let the bellboy handle their bags. She fought with him for a few minutes, but being exhausted she eventually gave in and stalked inside. Jarod sighed, hopeful that as soon as she rested, she would become a little more pleasant. Although as he watched her yell at the wide-eyed bellboy for almost dropping one of her 25 pound bags, he sort of doubted it.

Jarod went to the front desk and got their room key while Miss Parker stood by the elevator with the bellboy, who was now trembling and shooting her scared looks every few seconds. After they got settled into the room, Miss Parker flopped onto the bed in a very ungraceful movement. Jarod chuckled and went to unpack. She watched him, with a unreadable expression for about five minutes and then got up and walked past him, into the bathroom. He heard the water start in the shower and she appeared again, going to her own bags.

She pulled out a pair of black satin pajamas, a bottle of shower gel, and a bottle of lotion then walked back into the bathroom, this time closing the door behind her. By the time Jarod had finished unpacking, the shower shut off and he looked expectantly at the bathroom door. It opened and Jarod felt the heat from the room wash over him. Miss Parker appeared moments later, in the pajamas, with her work attire folded in her arms. He let his eyes sweep over her as she passed, taking in every detail from the waves in her damp hair to the way the satin material clung to some damp parts of her back and legs to the bright red nail polish on her toenails. She looked at him and caught him staring at her. He quickly looked away, missing the brief smile that flashed on her face. Miss Parker cleared her throat and he looked her way.

“You can use the shower now. I'm going to try and get some more sleep.” With that she placed her clothes in a drawer and settled herself onto one side of the bed. She closed her eyes and minutes later she was asleep.

Jarod had been in a mild state of shock the whole time after she came out of the bathroom and now snapped out of it. He watched her sleep for a few seconds then decided to take her advice and take a shower. Taking out a pair of blue flannel pajama pants and white muscle shirt, he went into the bathroom and started the water. He came out into the bedroom, fifteen minutes later, feeling much more relaxed. He placed his folded clothes in a drawer and sat down on the other side of the bed. He looked over at Miss Parker and smiled.

In her sleep, her hair fanned out from her face and she look so much younger. As if she had no worries in the world and all was peaceful. He laughed at the ridiculous thought that the world they lived in was peaceful. It never would be until the Centre had been taken down. Jarod yawned and all thoughts dissipated when he laid his head down on the pillow. Soon, Jarod was snoring softly and a smile was on his face as he dreamed of how it would be when he finally met his mother.

**********************************************************************

Jarod awoke around half past noon and after yawning and rubbing his eyes, he looked over at where Miss Parker was sleeping only to find her side of the bed empty. He sat straight up in the bed and looked around anxiously. He needn’t have worried though for he quickly spotted her putting the rest of her clothes in the closet. Miss Parker had changed from her pajamas into a soft white cashmere sweater and a pair of blue jeans. She wore socks only and he wondered if it was out of concern that she didn’t wake him.

“Hi.” he said and she turned to face him. “What are you doing??”

“You’re the genius, remember? What do you think I am doing?” she scoffed at him and hung up the final piece of clothing: a short and slinky gray dress. It was one of her favorites and she remembered that one of the last times she had worn it, Jarod had sent her the other ballerina to her mother’s music box. That was the day she had found the picture of her mother and Ben Miller, holding her as a baby. Alex’s words suddenly came into her head, taunting her about her true parentage. Ignoring where those thoughts were leading, she walked over to the table by the window and put on her white sneakers.

“How long have you been up?” Jarod asked her, still laying in the bed.

She looked up and stared at him. “Long enough. I had some things to get in the hotel stores.” That was all she said and he knew that he would get no more information out of her, so he didn’t bother to ask. Jarod got out of the bed and then after standing still for a few seconds sat on the edge of the bed, stupefied.

Miss Parker finished tying her shoelaces and looked at him strangely. “What’s wrong with you?” she asked him.

“I don’t know what to wear. I am meeting my mother for the first time in over 35 years and I don’t know what to wear.” Jarod said shaking.

Miss Parker looked at him and felt a wave of sympathy wash over her. Without giving it a second thought, she rose and walked over to his drawers. He watched her sift though his clothing and his heart leaped. Maybe the little girl he had once known wasn’t dead and buried. She stopped rifling and pulled out a burgundy colored cotton shirt and black pants. Miss Parker walked over to where he sat in his pajamas and placed them in his lap.

“I suggest you wear your black leather jacket over top. You’ll look fine.” She shooed a dazed Jarod into the bathroom and shut the door. Jarod dressed hurriedly and when he appeared he put on his leather jacket as she had suggested. She gave him a once over and nodded. “Told you,” was all she said.

Jarod smiled at her. “Thank you, Miss Parker.”

“Everyone deserves to look good for their mother.” she said softly and Jarod felt a pang of guilt.

He opened his mouth to apologize, but she shook her head. He nodded and turned to the phone. “I'm going to call my dad.”

Miss Parker nodded and turned to rifle though one of the drawers she had claimed as her own. Bringing out a makeup bag and silver-backed brush, she went over to the full-length mirror. Jarod watched her apply her make-up, then brush her hair for a few seconds before he picked up the room phone and rung the room number his dad had given him.

“Hello?” a young boy’s voice answered the phone.

“Jay?” Jarod asked grinning at Miss Parker, who had turned around at the name.

“Jarod! Are you here? Is Miss Parker there too?” Jay asked excitedly.

“Yes, it’s me and yes, she’s here too.” Jarod said laughing at the boy’s exuberance.

“Who is it, Jay?” Jarod heard his father ask in the background.

“It’s Jarod, Dad! They're ready! Can we see them now? Please? You said to wait until they were ready and they are!” Jay cried loudly forgetting that Jarod was on the other end. Jarod heard a small chuckle from behind him and knew that Miss Parker had heard Jay’s loud plea.

“Jay, put Dad on.” Jarod told him and with an exaggerated sigh, the boy did as he was told.

“Jarod, are you ready?” Major Charles asked as excited as Jay and Emily, who were beside him, grinning from ear to ear.

“Yeah, Dad. As ready as I'll ever be. We’ll meet you in the lobby in about five minutes, okay?” Jarod said, with a questioning look at Miss Parker. She nodded that the time frame was fine for her and grabbed her denim jacket from where it lay on the bed.

“That’s fine, son. Five minutes.” Major Charles hung up and so did Jarod.

“Let’s go, Wonder Boy.” Miss Parker said, but with a gentle undertone.

He nodded and followed her out of the room, making sure he had the car keys and his wallet with the room key in it, and then shut the door behind him.

They were silent in the elevator ride down to the lobby and Jarod rocked on the balls of his feet in uncontainable excitement. The doors opened and stepping out of the elevator, he found himself staring at his father, sister, and little “brother”.

Jay was the first to move and ran over to where Jarod stood. He threw himself onto Jarod and squeezed his waist tightly.

“I missed you!” Jay exclaimed and looked up into Jarod’s face.

“I missed you too, Jay!” Jarod said and hugged the boy back. Jay looked over at where Miss Parker stood and grinned at her.

“Miss Parker!” he said happily and switched his embrace from Jarod to her. Miss Parker looked stunned for a moment and then gave in to the impulse to hug the boy back.

“I'm glad you came.” Jay said finally letting go and letting Miss Parker get some air back into her lungs.

“So am I, Jay.” Miss Parker told him and found herself believing the words.

“Jarod!” came his father’s voice and Jarod felt his eyes tear up.

“Dad!” Jarod echoed and found himself wrapped in a big bear hug from his father. “Dad, I missed you so much.”

“I know, Son. I missed you too.” Major Charles said, his voice deep with emotion.

Jarod pulled back and saw Emily standing to the right of their father, waiting for her turn. His father stepped back and let Emily step closer. Jarod placed his hand on his young sister’s face and she placed her hand over his.

“Emily. I’ve missed your face, little sister.” Jarod said the love for his sister and joy at seeing her healthy overflowing.

“Oh, Jarod.” was all she got out before the tears and emotion overtook her. She leaned into his hug and wrapped her arms around him tightly. “Thank God.”

Jarod rocked side to side slightly with her in his arms and kissed the top of her head. “Shhh," he soothed. “We’re together again.”

Emily pulled back and he wiped the tears from her face with the pad of his thumb. “Don’t cry, Em. Save the tears for when we see Mom.” She laughed, the sound like tiny bells and he grinned.

Jay couldn’t stand it any more and pulled Miss Parker over by the hand to where the rest of his family stood. Major Charles smiled at her warmly and reached out his hand.

“Welcome, Miss Parker. I'm glad you came.” he said and she placed her hand in his.

“Thank you.” she replied and he covered their hands with his other one.

Jarod turned to her and said, “This is my sister, Emily.” He then turned to Emily and said, “Em, this is Miss Parker.”

“I'm glad to finally meet you, Miss Parker.” Emily said smiling as warmly as her father had.

“I'm glad to meet you, too and I am sorry that it was under these circumstances.” Miss Parker said, taking a liking to the young woman. She reminded her a little bit of an older version of Amie. Thinking of the girl that was back home with Gabe, made Miss Parker feel a little sad and Emily noticed the faraway look on her face.

“Is something wrong, Miss Parker?” Emily asked concerned.

Miss Parker shook her head and pushed the thoughts away. “No, I'm okay. Just thinking of someone back home.”

Jarod looked at her trying to figure out who could be the source for her homesickness. Certainly not Lyle or her “father”. Maybe it was Sydney? Broots?!? Or perhaps her little brother, Gabriel? His father's words knocked any thought out of his head.

“So, gang. What do you say we go see a very special lady?” He asked and everyone laughed, including Miss Parker, when Jay let out a loud cheer.

Jarod said that he and Miss Parker would follow them in their rental car and Major Charles nodded his agreement. They each went to the garage and got into their respective cars. Jarod sat in the driver’s seat for a moment and took a deep breath. Miss Parker couldn’t help it. She placed her hand over his, where it rested on the gearshift. Squeezing it, she looked into his face.

“It’ll be okay.” she said and then looked out the window like nothing ever happened. Jarod nodded and started the car, then followed his father out of garage and onto the road.