Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer- Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney, Broots, Sam the Sweeper, Willie, (Whew! Am I done yet?!?) Raines, Lyle, Mr. Parker, Brigitte, and Mrs. Catherine Parker do not belong to me...that was depressing. They belong to NBC and now, maybe, TNT. No infringement intended so please don't sue me. On the other hand any other characters you run across and don't sound familiar are probably mine so you can sue all you want about them, but you won't see a penny.
Note: Sorry this one is really short, but they go back to being longer as the story goes on. Also there is a The X-Files reference in this part. The first person to find it, will get their name put in the next part of the story in a nice way and the next part sooner than anyone else. J Happy reading!




Survivor
Part 3
By Jaclyn Parker

If that plane leaves the
ground and you’re not
with him, you’ll regret it.
Maybe not today,
maybe not tomorrow,
but soon and for the
rest of your life.
~the screenplay for Casablanca
********************************************************************

A very cross and impatient Lyle was waiting in Miss Parker’s office along with Sydney and Broots when she arrived. The second she walked in he demanded to know where she had been and Miss Parker told him it was none of his damn business, but that she wasn't feeling very well. He shut up about her being late when she pierced him with a death glare and he changed the subject over to Jarod. She answered his questions about his last lair and finally he left, wiggling his fingers good bye as if reminding her about Raines’s thumb once again. As soon as the door shut with him on the other side, she shuddered and focused her attention on Sydney and Broots.

“Are you feeling any better now, Miss Parker?” Broots asked her stepping aside as she moved to sit at her desk.

“A little, Broots. How’s Debbie?” she asked sincerely concerned for the girl.

“She is okay. She didn’t have bronchitis like we thought. She only has a mild case of the flu. The inflamed throat was brought on by all the singing she was doing, but she is sleeping now and I have a neighbor watching her for me. The doctor said she should be okay by tomorrow evening.” Broots said obviously relieved that his daughter was okay.

Miss Parker nodded and glanced casually at the clock. She still had over six hours to go until she could set the plan in motion. Sighing greatly she motioned for them to have a seat. “We have a lot of work to do and I am not up to a lot of discussion, so why don't we just work quietly for today? Can we do that, boys?” she asked icily, her voice leaving no room for argument. They just nodded their agreement and she smiled coldly. “Good. Then let’s get started shall we? Our little Monkey Boy won’t catch himself!”

The day passed too slowly for Miss Parker, but finally at around 4:45 she decided it was time to start the best acting job she would ever have. She began to rub her temples and then when she knew that Broots and Sydney were watching her, she softly began to moan in mock pain.

Sydney got up and went to her side immediately, leaning over her. “Are you all right, Parker?” he asked, concerned.

“My head, Sydney. It’s throbbing. It started this morning, but it’s just grown, not gone away.” Miss Parker lied very convincingly.

“Do you want to go to the infirmary?” Broots asked concerned as well.

“No.” She said and looked up. “I might just go home. It gets better if I rest in a completely dark setting with no noise.”

Sydney nodded and so did Broots. “Don’t call me.” she said and stood to leave. She wobbled when she stood and seemed like she was going to faint. Sydney caught her and while he held her, she whispered in his ear, “I’ll be at a safe refuge.”

He pulled back as he let her go and she looked deep into his eyes, and he knew what she meant. He nodded and said, “If he should ask, I’ll tell Lyle that you went home sick, Miss Parker.”

Miss Parker nodded and stood up straighter. She moved to the door and Broots called out, just as she was leaving, “Feel better, Miss Parker.”

She turned around and smiled at him softly, surprising him. “I hope to, Broots. Thank you.” She looked at Sydney once more, wishing he were coming with her. He smiled at her and nodded. She lifted her chin and turned away again, this time not looking back for anything or anyone.

Miss Parker was on the road within minutes; with two suitcases of clothing she had packed the night before in the trunk and a new cell phone that Jarod had left on her doorstep this morning. She drove with soft music the only other sound in the car, other than her breath. Miss Parker was anxious to get to where Jarod was waiting for her, but the reason why eluded her.

She pulled off the highway at the exit she and Jarod had discussed and sure enough not more than 20 miles later a car rental place appeared out of nowhere. Pulling into the parking lot, she noticed Jarod standing out front, talking to a short bald man.

She parked and slowly got out of the car. Jarod turned his head and gave her a small smile. She was surprised and what shocked both of them was the fact that she smiled in return. Given it was a small one, more out of confusion than anything else, but it was a smile, nonetheless.

“Is this your little lady?” the man said with a slight southern accent, when Miss Parker approached the two of them.

Jarod took Miss Parker by the elbow, holding her back from hurting the man. “This is Parker. Parker, this is Mr. Marshall Sims. He owns the place and has given us a very good deal on a car.”

“That’s me. Ol’ Honest Marshall Sims. The best deals in town.” Marshall crooned and waggled his eyebrows at Miss Parker.

Jarod rolled his eyes and shook his head. “Okay, let’s just get the car and we’ll be out of here. We are kind of in a hurry.”

Yes, Siree. No problemo.” Marshall said and this time it was Miss Parker who rolled her eyes. She told Jarod she was going to get her stuff and he told her that when she was done to wait for him here and he would pull the new car around.

Parker did as he said and about five minutes later, he pulled up in a brand-new 2001 Corvette convertible in cherry red. She whistled appreciatively and he grinned at her. She put her stuff in the trunk and then climbed into the passenger seat next to him.

“Let’s go.” he said and she nodded. They each took a deep breath and then Jarod put the little car into drive and left the rental place behind in a cloud of dust.