Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Finally Jarod stopped at a hotel in Kingston, New York and looked over at the silent and spiritless little girl. Catie sat looking sullenly out the window, her hand fiddling with the ring around her neck, while her reflection showed the silent stream of tears that flowed down her cheeks.
Jarod sighed and said, "Catie listen to me okay? I know you are mad and upset right now, but I promise you that your mom will find us. I'm going to call tomorrow and find out what happened to her and then we'll make some sort of arrangement to have her come and get you. But right now, I know you are tired and so am I. Now there is a hotel right here, so do you want to sleep there or keep driving and fall asleep in the car?"

Catie sighed and wiped the tears from her face and turned to Jarod. She shook her head and pointed to the hotel. Jarod smiled and used his thumb to wipe a missed tear off of her cheek.
"Okay. It's settled then." Jarod hesitated and then looked seriously at Catie. "Catie, there is something I need you to do while we are together and waiting for your mom to find us okay?"

Catie looked at him, her head tilted in curiosity.

"I need you to call me Dad. Otherwise people might get suspicious and ask a

lot of questions we can't answer, okay? Can you remember to do that?"

"Uh huh." Catie said softly and nodded her head lightly.
"Great. Let's go get some sleep, kiddo. I think we need it." Jarod got out of the car and walked around to Catie's side. Unlocking her door her helped her unbuckle her seat belt. Jarod reached into the back of the car and pulled out the small canvas bag that Miss Parker had packed earlier. He then went around to the trunk and pulled out his bag and DSA player. Walking back around to the front of the car he noticed Catie was barely keeping her eyes open and smiled. Catie held on to Jarod's hand and followed him silently into the hotel lobby, sucking on her thumb in half sleep and half awe. Jarod

walked up to the registration desk and tapped the small bell on the counter. A thin man appeared and smiled at Jarod.
"May I help you, sir?" he said and folded his hands onto the counter.

"Uh, yeah. I'd like a room with double beds, please." Jarod said setting the bags on the floor.
"Of course, sir. Just sign here, please."
Jarod looked around him for a last name and quickly found his gaze resting on a forgotten shopping bag near a chair in the lobby. Using the Lord might be overdoing it, but the other name would do just fine.

"Thank you, Mr. Taylor. Here is your room key. And if I might be
so bold as to say, I suggest you get your daughter to bed as soon as
possible." Jarod looked over at Catie who was weaving slightly, eyes
fluttering closed and then springing open again. Jarod and the deskman
laughed and Jarod lifted Catie into his arms. She settled on his hip
and snuggled into his shoulder. Within seconds he knew she was fast
asleep.

"Here, let me help you." The man from the desk said and gave Jarod the bags from the floor. He then led Jarod over to the elevator and hit the up button. While they waited for the elevator to come down, the two men chatted and Jarod found himself completely at ease with the man. By the time the elevator arrived they were on a first name basis.

"Okay, Jarod, I'll see you tomorrow morning. And tell the sleeping Angel we have the best blueberry chip pancakes in town, when she wakes up in the morning."

"Thanks, Jim, I will. Night." Jarod pressed the button for the 8th floor. After he had found the room and unlocked the door, Jarod laid Catie down on one of the beds and placed the bags near the table in the center of the room. He set the DSA player on top of the table and then walked over to where Catie lay sleeping. He pulled off her tiny sneakers and then covered her up and tucked the blankets around her. About a half hour later Jarod was ready for bed himself after picking a place for them to go while waiting to contact Miss Parker and was about to put out the light out in the bathroom when he heard Catie cry out in her sleep.

"MAMA! No, Mama. Mama, don't leave me! Please, come back. Mama!" Catie was tossing and turning fitfully in her sleep, her small head rocking back and forth on the pillow.

Jarod rushed over to her and sat down on the edge of the bed. Catie sat up, eyes wide, and seeing Jarod sitting there hurled herself into his arms, sobbing with such ferocity Jarod could feel his own body shaking along with hers. Jarod had never held a little girl before, but somehow this felt natural and he held her closer and shushed her cries. Smoothing down her hair he listened to her tell him about her nightmare and then he assured her that her mother was fine, all the while praying to God that it was the truth.

**********************************************************************

Miss Parker woke on a couch, but she was not in her house. Sydney stood over her and she looked to her left and saw Broots sitting in a nearby chair.
"What...?" Miss Parker began to sit up and felt a sharp pain shoot through her shoulder and arm.
"Ugh!" she cried in pain and grasped her arm. Then as if it were a movie she

saw what happened replay in her mind. "Oh my God, Catie!"

Miss Parker disregarded the pulsing throb in her left arm and shoulder

and sat straight up. She noticed she was at Sydney's cabin in the mountains

and glanced over at Syd.

"We brought you here while Raines and his men were looking for Jarod and Catie. Don't worry, Miss Parker, they got away. I expect Jarod will contact me tomorrow to find out about you and to tell us about Catie. Until then, however, you need to stay low key." Sydney said meanwhile bringing her a cup of tea and then began to reapply her bandage.

"Broots, will you get me my jacket?" Miss Parker said grimacing, as Sydney accidentally pressed too hard on the wound. Broots nodded and grabbed it off the back of a chair. As she reached for it, he caught and held her hand.

"Jarod will keep her safe, Miss Parker." Broots said softly and
smiled.

Miss Parker gave his hand a slight squeeze and took her jacket from him. She pulled out the photo she had been clutching earlier. It was a smaller copy of the one that Syd had given her for Mother's Day. It was her favorite of Catie and her together and she kept one close to her at all times.

"Do you really think Catie will be okay with Jarod?" Miss Parker asked

worriedly. "I mean I know Jarod would never hurt her, but she doesn't even

know him. They have...no connection," she said searching for the right words.

"Miss Parker..." Broots started to say and then chickened out. "Syd, you have to tell her."

"Tell me what?" Miss Parker said anxiously. "Is Catie okay? What happened? Sydney!"

"Calm down, Miss Parker," Sydney said and seated himself next to her on the couch. He took the photo of Catie and studied it as he talked.

"Catie does have a connection to Jarod. One, even he isn't aware of." he continued.

"I don't understand, Syd." Miss Parker said shaking her head slightly.

Sydney looked at her and handed back the picture. "Jarod
is Catie's father."

Miss Parker studied the photograph with a new interest and began to see little hints. She had his nose and sometimes that smug little smile of his too, when she knew that she was right about something. And her eyes. Those should have told her right away. And anyway she knew how the Centre worked. It should've connected long ago. God, how blind had she been?

"He doesn't know, Miss Parker." Broots said coming towards her as well.

"We figured that if he knew..."

"...he would take her away from the Centre...and me." she finished for him. Broots nodded and Miss Parker laughed cynically. "Well, it looks as though we won't have to worry about that scenario anymore will we?"

She looked up at Broots and Sydney, then choked back a cry and covered her

face in her hands.

**********************************************************************

Jarod awoke the next morning and glanced over at the empty bed next to him and sat straight up. He looked around the room frantically before his eyes caught sight of the small child on the window seat looking out at the beautiful view. He watched her face closely for a few moments and could see the resemblance towards her mother. Her eyes seemed to follow every thing see was seeing outside and a small smile graced her lips every so often. Catie looked up, noticed Jarod watching her and smiled shyly.

"Hey, whatcha doing?" Jarod asked softly.

"Watchin. My mama and I used to do it all the time at parks and stuff."

Catie answered quietly.

"Oh, anybody interesting?" Jarod asked smiling again and slipping out of the bed to walk over and join her by the window. Catie shrugged and then glancing at his pajamas she grinned widely.

"What?" Jarod asked knowing perfectly well that he looked ridiculous in his Scooby-Doo pajamas. On his last pretend as a children's counselor he had been introduced into the world of Cartoon Network and had fallen in love with Scooby-Doo and Yogi Bear immediately. Catie just giggled and gave him the first real smile he had seen from her since he had almost reunited her with her mother. He realized that now would be the perfect time to call and he kneeled by Catie.

"Hey, what do you say we call Sydney and see how your mom is doing?" Jarod asked looking into Catie's eyes. He was reward quickly by a brilliant smile and a set of twinkling blue eyes.

"Can we really?" Catie asked excitedly leaning in towards him. Jarod nodded and Catie whooped in delight. She gave him a quick hug and then raced over to the hotel phone.

"No, Catie-Bug. We'll use my cell phone." Jarod said surprising Catie and himself by using a nickname. It had just seemed to slip out, but Jarod relaxed when Catie paused then ran back over to him, her smile even wider. She grabbed his hand and pulled him over to the table and began to hop up and down while he dialed Sydney's cell phone number.

"Sydney," the voice floated over the phone.

"It's me." Jarod said his shoulders shaking in quiet laughter as he watched Catie bounce in front of him, impatiently.

"Thank God, Jarod." Sydney said his voice conveying his relief. "Are you both okay?"

"We're fine, Sydney. The question is, how is Miss Parker? I have one very worried little girl over here." "She is okay, the bullet went clean through her shoulder and we are doing everything we can to prevent an infection."

"That's great!" Jarod said in earnest. He looked at Catie and grinned. "You're mama is fine. Just a little scrape. Sydney says she will be fine."

Catie's face relaxed in relief and she wiggled her fingers to signal that she wanted the phone. Jarod held up a finger and went back to talking to Sydney.

"Where are you two?" Sydney asked.

"I can't tell you, Syd, in case they tap your phone. Just know that we are fine." Jarod said regrettably.

"Jarod..." Sydney said in a warning tone.

"Jarod!" Miss Parker's voice found Jarod's ear through the line. He heard the phone being taken from Sydney and a few seconds later came Miss Parker's voice only this time it was much louder as a result from being directly next to the phone.

"Jarod, where's Catie?" was the first thing out of her mouth and Jarod had to grin.

"She's right here, Miss Parker." Jarod said and if he ever entertained the idea that this little girl wasn't Miss Parker's, it was put to rest in that moment. As soon as Miss Parker's name was out of his mouth Catie grabbed the phone out of his hands.

"Mama?" Catie cried into the phone.

"Oh thank God." Miss Parker said sitting down hard on
Sydney's couch, the phone pressed to her ear. "How are you, Baby?"

"I'm okay, Mama. I miss you, though. When can I come home?" Catie asked, her voice small and pleading.

Both Jarod and Miss Parker winced at hearing the longing in the child's voice, because both adults knew that it would a while before Catie would be reunited with her mother. There were people at the Centre to deal with and things to do before it would be safe enough for her to come home.

"I'm afraid not for a little while, Baby." Miss Parker said sadly.
"No," Catie said her face falling and tears forming in her eyes. "wanna come home now! Mommy, please!"

Catie began to cry and Jarod's heart broke at the sight.

"I know, Baby, and I want you to come home as much as you do, but that isn't possible right now." Miss Parker said her heart breaking in two for want to comfort her daughter.

"I'll be good now, I promise. Please let me come home." Catie sobbed into the phone.

"Aww, Catherine, you weren't bad. That is not why you had to go away.

Don't ever think that. You know as well as I do that it's not safe right now.

Jarod will keep you safe and as soon as everything is okay, we'll be together again. I promise." Miss Parker said pressing her hand to heart as though that would stop the intense pain she felt. Catie just continued to cry softly and
Jarod took the phone back. As he held it to his own ear, with the other arm he gathered Catie close and let her cry on his shoulder.

"Jarod," Miss Parker started the worry in her voice evident.

"She'll be okay, Miss Parker. I'd give my life willingly before anyone hurt her." Jarod said knowing without a second thought that it was the truth.

"In the past 24 hours I feel as though I have a connection to her."

Miss Parker felt a twinge of guilt hit her at the thought that she knew exactly what that connection was and swallowed it quickly.

"Thank you, Jarod." was all she said ignoring his last comment. She paused then said, "It is 8:20. Has Catie eaten yet?"
"No," Jarod "I was just about to reserve a table downstairs for breakfast. I'm glad we called because I have no idea what this one likes to eat."

Miss Parker could tell that although it sounded like he was talking to her, in actuality he was directing his statement towards her daughter.

Knowing Catie's huge appetite, she knew that Jarod would have no trouble winning over Catie's heart through her stomach.

"Mention anything having to do with pancakes and she's yours." Miss Parker said helpfully.
Jarod looked at the little girl huddled into his side and said, "I'm thinking blueberry pancakes, how bout you Catie? The manager downstairs said they make the best in town."

Catie's tearstained face appeared to him like a miracle and she gave a small smile. Jarod grinned and turned his attention back to the woman on the phone, trying to figure out how to tell her that he needed to cut the communication between her and her daughter.

"Don't worry about it, Jarod." Miss Parker said stopping him from speaking, guessing what he wanted to say. "I need to go take care of some things anyway. I want to speak to Catie for a minute, though."

Jarod handed the phone to Catie who took it more calmly than before.

"Uh huh," Catie replied to something Miss Parker said on the other line.

"I know, Mama. I understand now. Uh huh. I love you too. Bye, Mama."

Catie's voice caught on the last sentence and Jarod was afraid she would start to cry again, but to his relief and surprise she just held her chin a little higher and handed the phone over to Jarod.

"Take care of her." was all Miss Parker said. They both knew that this would be the last time she would hear from Jarod in a while. He had to take care of Catie and she needed to explain a few things to Raines and the Triumvirate about their boundaries and how her daughter was off limits.

"I promise." Jarod answered and he heard the phone click. She was gone and he looked over at Catie. In the small amount of time that had passed since Jarod had taken the phone from her, she had dressed herself in overalls and a new T-shirt out of the canvas bag. Catie was now back in her original position by the window and she looked so small and scared that Jarod felt his heart constrict with protectiveness.

"I promise." he whispered and went to go get dressed himself.

A few minutes later they were headed down to the dining room, Catie's hand snugly held in Jarod's hand and she watched everything with a gaze of awe. Because she had been practically asleep when they arrived last night she had missed the huge chandelier on the ceiling of the lobby. And the mermaid fountain with cushioned seats around it so people could sit and watch the golden colored fish swim around in the clear water. Catie raced over to look at the beautiful statue while Jarod bid Jim a good morning and got table for breakfast.

"Angel!" Jarod called, remembering the name he gave her last night, and waited 'til she scampered back over to where he stood. "Ready to eat?"

"Yes, Daddy." she said slipping her hand back into his. He looked at herin slight shock until he remembered what he had asked her to call him last night to throw off suspicion. Jarod's heart did a leap and the word reverberated in his head. He could get used to that and it scared the hell out of him. He knew that it was just a lie and sooner or later he would have to give her up.

"Daddy," Catie said tugging on his hands and giving him an impatient smile, "I'm hungry!"

Jarod laughed and decided to forget those sobering facts and enjoy the time he had with the precious child while he had it. After they ordered, Jarod asked Catie general questions about things such as her favorite color and animal and things like that. Soon he found himself entranced by the young person as though he were under her spell. She laughed easily and had her mother's smile that, if given in sincerity, could warm even the coldest heart. Catie regaled him with tales of her and her mother and after a while it struck Jarod that this young child had done in a couple of months, what Jarod had been trying to do for almost three years. She had managed to shed some of the layers of hurt and anger around Miss Parker's heart and lead her back into the world of the feeling.

By the end of the meal, Jarod had found himself completely and utterly in love with the little girl across the table from him. He watched the waiter sneak a free, after-breakfast, chocolate-covered strawberry to a grinning Catie and realized that it wasn't only him. This spectacular child had
the ability to draw people to her like a moth to a flame. Her contagious laughterand prepossessing smile had won over the chef and every waiter in the dining room. Jarod laughed as two waiters tripped over each other in trying to be the first to get Catie another child's milkshake and he shook his
head. Jarod knew he really should stop them, considering it was Catie's third milkshake, but as he watched Catie giggle hysterically he realized he didn't care. He would give the girl the moon if it made her smile.

"Daddy, can we go to the docks and see the boats? Please?" Catie asked excitedly. "I've never seen a real live boat before."
Jarod tilted his head and thought of his first experiences away from the Centre. Today would be his day to show Catie some of the finer things that maybe Miss Parker couldn't have understood to show her.
"Let's go!" Jarod said and stood placing the money down on the table for the bill, with a hefty tip, and was led out of the restaurant by a very excited Catie.

**********************************************************************

The day had flown by quickly for Jarod and he had thoroughly enjoyed himself. Catie had been a pleasure all day and Jarod could see that although she was a very precocious child she also knew her manners and respected other people.

At the end of the day, Jarod decided to grab some ice cream before heading back to the hotel. They had just come from an ice cream shop, two double fudge sundae cones in their hands and Catie chattering away happily when they suddenly noticed an old woman who couldn't get herwalker up onto the sidewalk without her purse sliding down her arm and falling. Before Jarod could do anything Catie handed her ice cream to Jarod and rushed over to where the old woman stood. She picked up the purse and even though she was half the size of the walker itself, Catie helped the old woman up onto the pavement. Jarod had, by now, made his way over to their location and was just in time to hear Catie refuse a reward for helping the old woman. Jarod handed Catie's ice cream back to the little girl and took her hand in his. The old woman looked up at him and grinned.

"You must be so proud to have such a beautiful little girl.
Inside and out." she said and pat Catie on the head. Catie beamed up at the woman and continued to eat her rapidly melting treat.

"Yes, ma'am." Jarod said nodding his head and squeezed Catie's hand. "I am."
He wished the woman a good day and they continued on their way back to the hotel. Jarod had never felt so proud of anyone or anything in his entire life. He was shocked as he realized he felt just like a father and basked in the wonderful sensation.

After a short pit stop in a restaurant to clean Catie's hands and face, they reached the hotel around 5 in the evening. Jim met up with them as they walked in and walked with them to the elevator.
"Did you have a good time today, Angel?" Jim asked the happy little girl.

"Yes, sir! A lot of fun!" She said enthusiastically. Then yawned immediately after. She placed a tiny hand over her mouth and looked up, apologetically.

"I'm sorry." she said, and then yawned again. Jim and Jarod laughed, then Jim suggested she take a nap and that Jarod
order room service for tonight. Jarod agreed and bid Jim goodnight, as did Catie. She was asleep before she hit the bed and Jarod laughed at the sight of the exhausted child. He knew just how she felt. Jarod's cell hone rang and he looked at it cautiously. Then he remembered he had given it to Sydney last night and hurriedly picked it up, before it could wake Catie. Then glancing at the child on the bed, he chuckled doubting anything short of a marching band could wake her.

"Hello?" he said into the phone, settling himself onto the window seat.

"Jarod?" Miss Parker's voice came through to his ear.
"Hello, Miss Parker. How are you feeling?" he asked genuinely
concerned.

"As well as can be expected. How's Catie?" she asked softly.
"She is good. She is sleeping right now, or I'd let you talk to her."

Jarod felt bad about her not being able to speak to her mother.

"No," Miss Parker said surprising him. "I'd rather not anyway. It's too hard as it is." Miss parker's loneliness made it's way through the phone and made him ache. "Just tell her I love her."

After a minute of silence she spoke up again. "I am calling to let you know that Raines has been dealt with." Miss Parker
said stolidly.

"What did you do to him?" Jarod asked worriedly.
"Let's just say he is renewal wing and not expected to be out of there anytime soon." she answered back.

"Do they suspect you?" Jarod wondered.
"Yes, but they can't do anything to prove it. There is no evidence." Miss Parker said with finality in her voice. The topic was closed.

"So you will be wanting to come and get Catie?" Jarod said the words slicing through him.
"Not yet. There are still things I have to take care of." Miss
Parker said regretfully. "But soon. I have to go. Broots is telling me the line is not safe anymore. I'll find a way to contact you."

"We'll be waiting." Jarod said and with that they both hung up.
Jarod looked over once more at the sleeping child on the bed. She would be gone soon and he wanted to remember everything about her. The question was, why?

Why did he feel so attached to this little girl and why did it
scare him so much that he was going to lose her. Jarod laid his head against the cool glass of the window and tried to think. But all it came to was, why?