Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

It had been five days since the accident and Miss Parker's condition had not changed. Catie had withdrawn into a protective shell despite Mr. Parker allowing her to stay with Sydney. She hardly talked and anyone had yet to see her smile in the entire five days. Michele had come to stay with Sydney while he took care of Catie and Catie had immediately attached herself to her and not let go.

Sydney explained that it was a type of Post Traumatic Stress and because her mother was not around Catie had instinctively attached herself to a female. Michele agreed and didn’t mind at all. She coddled the girl, but even she couldn’t bring the normally happy child out of her silent and sad state.

In the five days Sydney had not heard anything from Jarod, but he was not worried. He knew that he would show up eventually and sure enough on the sixth day Sydney found an e-mail waiting for him on his personal computer.

MEET ME IN PARKER’S ROOM AT 11:00 TONIGHT. URGENT! TELL NO ONE...EVEN
BROOTS.

It wasn’t signed but Sydney knew immediately who it was from. Sydney told Michele he was going to visit Miss Parker and left around 10:30. He arrived at exactly eleven and told the nurse at the night desk, he was on the permanent visitor’s list. She asked his name, looked on her sheet, and then told him to go right ahead.

Sydney walked down the dim corridor and stopped in front of room 630. He took a deep breath before pushing it open. Even though he had prepared himself, just like every other time he visited he felt his heart tighten in fear and worry when he saw her lying in the cold hospital bed. Tubes came out of her nose and a breathing tube came out of her mouth. So many IVs were imbedded in her arms they looked like strings coming out of a puppet. At least five machines beeped and the noise grated on his nerves. It was a constant and painful reminder that she wasn’t really in the body that was lying there. Sydney walked over and kissed her forehead, then leaned back and brushed his hand over her cheek tenderly.

“You’re really scared, aren’t you?” came Jarod’s voice from the back of the room.

Sydney nodded, not even flinching when Jarod spoke up. He had somehow known the younger man was in the room and was waiting for him to speak up. “Yes, I am. It’s like seeing...”.

“Like seeing your brother, Jacob.” Jarod finished for him, appearing to his left. Sydney nodded again and Jarod placed his hand on Syd’s shoulder. “I know how you feel, Syd. I always thought that if I ever lost her it would be to The Powers That Be from the Centre. Never anything as normal as this. The thought never even entered my mind. I came early this morning and when I saw her lying here Syd, I felt as though I wanted to die, right then and there. If I didn’t have Catie to worry about or my family to find...”

Jarod trailed off and Sydney placed his hand over Jarod’s in comfort and understanding.

“It’s scary knowing a loved one may not return to you and knowing that you are helpless to do anything about it.” Sydney said knowing the feeling all too well.

“We may not have to stand by and do nothing, Syd.” Jarod said softly and looked down at the woman he loved. “I think I have a way to help her.”

Sydney knew instantly what he was talking about and whirled on him whispering, “The vaccine you made for Jacob.”

Jarod nodded and removed a syringe from his white doctor’s coat. “I know it was only temporary when we gave it to your brother, but I modified it and it may work. The only problem is there is only a seven day window from the time of the accident. It is very specific.”

“Tomorrow is the seventh day.” Sydney said realizing this may be her only chance.

“I would have come sooner, but Mr. Parker was constantly around as were Centre sweepers. This was my first break.” Jarod said with the guilt of not coming quicker ringing in his voice.

“You’re here now, Jarod.” Sydney said comfortingly, then his voice grew gravely serious. “Are you sure it will work?”

“No, not all my tests were conclusive, but we have to do something.” Jarod said and looked deep into Sydney’s eyes. “Because you are her father, I would like your permission to give it to her.”

Sydney looked at Jarod in shock and then at the still form on the bed. He nodded and placed his hand on Jarod’s arm. “I trust you, Jarod.”

Jarod nodded and took the cap off the needle. He pressed the air out of it and with a final glance at Syd, pushed it into her left arm. There was no immediate reaction and Sydney looked at Jarod.

“There should be results in about 10 to 12 hours, but I need to leave before they find me.” Jarod said reluctantly. He leaned over and kissed Miss Parker tenderly on the corner of her lips, ignoring the breathing tube, and whispered “I love you” before turning to Sydney again. He hugged the older man and Sydney squeezed him back.

“Take care of our family, Sydney.” Jarod whispered and then slipped out of the room. Sydney stayed an extra minute and looked heavenward.

“Send our daughter back, Catherine. She’s needed down here. It’s not her time yet.”

With a final kiss on his daughter’s forehead, Sydney also left to let the mysterious drug to do its work.