Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Jarod was done setting up the picnic table and was laughing at something Broots had said when he started to wonder what was keeping Miss Parker and Catie. He excused himself and slipped back inside. Upon hearing laughter, Jarod briskly walked over to the master bedroom door and pushed it open slightly. He peeked in and felt his heart tighten with love at the sight. His daughter kneeled on the vanity bench beside Miss Parker and had her tiny hands fluttering around her mother’s head, trying to explain how she wanted to style it. Miss Parker watched her in the mirror with an amused expression, but even so seemed to be listening to very word that came out of Catie’s mouth.

Miss Parker picked up a lip-gloss while Catie continued to talk and began to slide it over her lips. Catie stopped mid-sentence and watched her mother entranced. Miss Parker caught sight of Catie’s mesmerized face in the mirror and smiled. She shifted so that she was facing Catie and gently took Catie’s chin in her hand. She made a kissing face at the little girl and the child imitated her immediately, understanding what her mother was about to do. Miss Parker took the shiny gloss and spread a small amount on the girl’s lips. Letting go of Catie’s chin, Miss Parker leaned back and rubbed her lips together in a motion that Catie again followed. Then Miss Parker made a loud smacking sound and Catie did the same, immediately dissolving into a fit of giggles. Miss Parker smiled and then told her to turn around. Catie complied and Miss Parker took her silver backed brush in her hand and began to brush Catie’s silky hair into an elegant up do. Then, after bobby pinning the hair, Miss Parker placed the tiara upon Catie’s head and the child grinned in delight. She whirled around to face her mother and gave her a huge hug around the neck. Miss Parker hugged the girl and then pushed her gently back, but Jarod saw her bat her eyes to try and keep her mascara from running.

Jarod let the door slide shut and sighed. The guests would just have to wait. There was no way in hell he was going to break that up!

They didn’t have to wait of long though, because ten minutes later they appeared and if anyone had asked Jarod at that moment he would have said the wait was worth it. Mother and daughter looked almost ethereal walking into the room the sun behind them creating a gorgeous backdrop.

Miss Parker had her hair loose and slightly curled to give it a soft look. She wore low sandals with her pale yellow sundress and the only jewelry she had on was her silver ring and a thin strand of pearls that Jarod guessed had also belonged to her mother. Catie was wearing the dress that Jarod had selected and put in her closet the first night Miss Parker had brought Catie home. She wore the white Mary Jane shoes and a pair of summer weight lace socks. Her hair had been swept up into a bun of tiny curls and the small tiara was placed around it. She had a huge smile on her face and when she saw Jarod it lit up even more.

“Daddy, look at me!” Catie said letting go of Miss Parker’s hand and racing over to where her father stood.

“I see! You look like a princess.” Jarod said bending to Catie’s level. The child beamed and hugged Jarod around the neck. Jarod stood up and placed Catie on his hip. Miss Parker smiled and took Jarod’s arm as he led them outside onto the patio.

“No stilettos?” he whispered into her ear as they stepped out into the warm air. She laughed and pinched his arm slightly, making him cry out, then join her in grinning.

Broots was talking to Sydney holding a bottle of beer in one hand, moving it as he talked, his other arm wrapped around Debbie’s chest holding her to him in a half hug. Sydney was leaning on the balcony rail listening to Broots talk, while holding a bottle of beer himself. Both men had suits on, but without ties and the jackets had long since been discarded over the back seats of their chairs. Debbie, like Miss Parker and Catie, had on a dress and was swaying side to side as she stood in front of her father. She was the first to notice when Catie, Jarod, and Miss Parker came outside and she broke away from Broots and rushed over as Jarod set Catie down. The two girls immediately ran over to the presents and began to guess what was in them.

The warm summer afternoon began with games for Catie and Debbie with occasional participation from Broots and Jarod, the honoree children of the day. About an hour into the party Sydney looked at his watch and held up his hand to make an announcement.

“I invited a couple of other people to join us, but no one to worry about I assure you.” Sydney said at the brief look of panic on Jarod and Miss Parker’s faces. At that moment the doorbell rang and Sydney smiled.

“What timing!” he said and stood to get the door. He appeared moments later and Catie jumped up at the sight of the people with him.

“Miss Michele! Nicholas!” She cried and ran to embrace the newly arrived adults. She had met the two adults while staying at Sydney’s one night while her mother had to go off on Centre business. They had dropped in to visit Sydney and the little girl had taken an immediate liking to both of them. And the feeling was mutual. They adored the child and were more than happy to come to her birthday party when Sydney suggested it.

Michele bent down and gave the happy girl a huge hug. Nicholas did the same and when he stood again he took Catie with him and placed her on his shoulders. Catie giggled and waved to Debbie from her perch. Debbie smiled and waved back, while Broots went to greet Michele and Nicholas.

Miss Parker just stood there for a few beats and then shook off her surprise. Having recovered she smiled widely and went over so Sydney could introduce her properly. Miss Parker turned to Nicholas and studied him closely, realizing that this man was her half-brother. Sydney watched her closely before nodding to Jarod who took Catie from Nicholas and introduced himself. Sydney’s smile soon faded and he moved to stand next to Michele.

“Michele, Nicholas. Would you please come with Miss Parker and me? We need to talk.” Sydney said placing his arm around Michele and leading her into the living room. Nicholas and Miss Parker followed, the latter sliding the glass doors closed behind them. Jarod held Catie in his arms and walked back over to Broots and Debbie. The two children began to amuse themselves by making necklaces out of stray ribbon, while the two men watched the unfolding scene intently.

Miss Parker stood by the armchair gripping the back so hard her knuckles were white and Sydney stood nearby talking. After a few minutes Michele sank onto the sofa, her hand to her chest, over her heart. She looked from Sydney to Miss Parker, then from Miss Parker to Nicholas. He looked as shell-shocked as his mother, but he walked over to where Miss Parker stood. She looked at him cautiously and nodded as he spoke. Nicholas paused a minute then peeled one of Miss Parker’s hands off of the sofa. He held it in his grip and Miss Parker looked down at their hands. She looked up again into Nicholas’s face and smiled, tentatively. He squeezed her hand and then surprising them all he pulled her into a hug. She stood stiffly in his embrace for a second then relaxed and hugged him back. Michele walked over to Sydney and placed her hand on his arm. He looked down at her and then smiled. Sydney lifted up his arm and she slipped under to settle into his side. Miss Parker pulled out of Nicholas’s embrace, but continued to hold onto his hand. They walked over to where Michele and Sydney stood and Michele cupped Nicholas’s cheek, then placed her hand on Miss Parker’s shoulder and smiled at her warmly. Miss Parker smiled back then caught Jarod’s gaze outside. Jarod couldn’t tell exactly what the emotion was that he saw in her eyes, but the closest thing he could name would have been hope.

The adults came back out moments later and the party got underway once more. It was not more than an hour later when a soft song came on the radio that had been playing softly in the background. It ended up being about a father and his daughter and Jarod got an idea. He stood from where he had been sitting at the picnic table and offered his hand to Catie. She giggled and gave it to him. She placed her feet on top of his and he began to dance with her, making sure she was balanced. Broots stood and held out his hand to Debbie and she too laughed and accepted. Nicholas held his hand out to his mother and she smiled and shook her head in amusement, but she took it and he led her to the makeshift dance floor. Miss Parker was not surprised when Sydney came up to her, but what he said did surprise her.

“The other parents are dancing with their children. I never had the opportunity to dance with my daughter so I am going to take a chance right now. May I?” he held out his hand and she looked at him, her eyes bright.

“I thought you’d never ask.” she said and placed her hand in his and he pulled her into his arms. ********************************************************************** Many hours later Miss Parker asked a sleepy eyed Catie, “Did you have a good party?”

“Uh huh, the best!” Catie exclaimed happily. “My favorite part was when Uncle Nicholas and Daddy put the sand crab in Pop-Pop’s water when he wasn’t looking! No, it was when Mom-Mom Michele put the cake in Uncle Nicholas’s face and then in Pop-Pop’s face. No, wait! The best was when Debbie put sand in Uncle Broots’s sandwich! Crunch!” Catie mimicked the sound it had made, then giggled and Miss Parker had to laugh with her at the memory of Broots’s face. “What was your favorite part, Mama?”

“Your daddy’s expression when he first tasted ice cream cake. I’m lucky we bought two, huh? He almost ate that first one by himself.” Miss Parker said laughing again. Catie laughed too and then snuggled deeper into the bed. She yawned and Miss Parker kissed her goodnight.

“Luv you, Mama.” Catie whispered.

“Love you, too.” Miss Parker said flipping light off and closing the door.

Miss Parker walked into the living room where Jarod was seated on the carpet in front of the sofa surrounded by a mountain of presents. Jarod looked up with the face of a child who had been let loose in a toy store with strict instructions to play with everything. Miss Parker smiled at him and then looked down at the stash.

“God, we must have bought out the entire toy store between the six of us.”

Jarod laughed, remembering when Michele and Nicholas had returned from their car with an arm full of gifts each. Then when Sydney and Broots had done the same from their respective apartments and when everything had been added to the pile made by Miss Parker and Jarod, everyone had lost it. Catie and Debbie’s eyes had practically bulged out of their heads, while the adults couldn’t stop laughing at the size of the pile of gifts.

Miss Parker sat down next to Jarod and helped him set up the beautiful dollhouse that Sydney and Michele had bought for Catie. They then began to arrange the small oak furniture that Nicholas had purchased to go with the Victorian house. Jarod paused and pulled a small wrapped gift and held it out to Miss Parker.

“Not another one.” Miss Parker sighed heavily, seeing the present that Jarod held.

Jarod shook his head and smiled. “It’s for you.”

Miss Parker hesitated then took the gorgeously wrapped present from him. She hurriedly unwrapped it and opened the small box. She pulled out the antique bottle of perfume and read the label. She felt her eyes tear up when she realized it was the perfume her mother had worn.

“Where did you find this? I’ve been looking for so long.” Miss Parker asked incredulously.

“It was at a collector’s in the town I was last in and I knew you were looking for it, so...” Jarod said shrugging. She leaned over the huge pile of toys and kissed him deeply.

“Thank you, I love it,” she said and after a second’s pause added, “And you.”

Jarod’s eyes widened as he realized that was the first time she had ever said it to him and he pulled her to him tightly. “I love you too, Parker. God, how I love you.”

She let herself feel his warmth through her body and felt her body relax and her eyelids grow heavy. Jarod felt Miss Parker fall asleep and grinned. He picked her up and carried her into the bedroom. Placing her gently onto the bed, he covered her lightly and kissed her on the lips. “Goodnight, my love.”

At around one o clock in the morning Jarod woke feeling something wasn’t right. He looked to his right and noticed that Miss Parker wasn’t lying next to him. He sat up and noticed her sitting in her bathrobe on the window seat. Her knees were drawn and her arms were resting on top of them. She stared out at the moon and Jarod could see her depressed expression reflected in the window glass. He moved silently and in his pajama pants he padded across the room to stand behind her. He was about to say something when she spoke.

“It’s all ending,” she said, not moving but somehow knowing he was there.

“What is?” he said amused at her talent to know where he was and settled himself down opposite her.

“This.” she answered fluttering her hand in emphasis. “Happiness, I guess. Tomorrow we all go home and you...” she trailed off and chuckled mirthlessly. “You go back to being my prey.”

“Parker, “Jarod started placing his hand on her arm.

“Don’t!” she said whipping her arm away from his touch. “Don’t pretend you can make this all better because you can’t, Jarod.”

He stared at her in surprise at the anger in her voice.

“Don’t you get it? This is going to be our whole lives. Brief periods of happiness followed by good-byes. The last time nearly broke my heart and Catie...God, what are we doing to Catie? I wanted to give her a normal life and this is anything but one.”

“Parker, Catie loves her life and her family. She has grandparents, two loving uncles, a ‘cousin’ who is her best friend, and two parents who would give their lives for her in an instant.” Jarod said trying to place a spark of hope in his lover’s eyes.

“And after tomorrow? What then, Jarod? We all go back to our houses that are within two blocks of each other and see one another on Sundays for that big family dinner?” Miss Parker laughed cynically. “Wake up, Jarod! What’s going to happen is that Catie’s grandparents are going to be separated again like they have been for over 3 decades. Her grandfather, her ‘uncle’ and her mother go back to work hunting down her father to bring him back to a place that wants to experiment with him in order to do God knows what!”

Miss Parker had tried to keep back the tears of anger, but it was no longer working. Jarod shifted her so that she was in his arms and she stiffened, then relaxed into him.

“I'm sorry.” she murmured a few seconds later into his shoulder. “I’m just so tired, Jarod. Just so very tired of everything.”

“I know, Parker. Me too.” Jarod kissed her head and rocked her as though she were a child. “Me too.”

“I'm okay,” she said pulling out of his embrace. “I just needed to vent, I guess.”

Jarod could feel her pulling away from him not only physically, but emotionally as well and tried to stop it.

“Parker...” he began, but she shook her head.

“Lets just get some sleep, okay?” Miss Parker said rising and placing her robe on the edge of the bed. “It’s going to be hectic tomorrow.”

She slid under the covers and turned on her side. “Goodnight, Jarod.”

Jarod stood looking at her still form and felt like crying. He knew it was her defense mechanism, this pulling away from him, and didn’t blame her. At least not much. It had been a very emotional week and she had been so shut off to that part of her soul for so long it was only natural to want to go back to what was familiar. He just wished it didn’t have to hurt so much.

Jarod woke up about 5 hours later to get a head start on helping everyone pack and was prepared to move softly in order not to wake Miss Parker, only to find out she had already slipped out of the bed. He swung his legs over the side of the bed and caught a movement out of the corner of his eye. Miss Parker, fully dressed, came into his line of vision with an armful of clothes and placed them into the suitcase on the edge of the bed.

“Hi,” he said quietly watching her hurried movements and mentally trying to slow her down.

She looked up and caught his eye. He saw a parade of emotions go through her blue gaze and then it turned into the cool look he had seen so often from her before Catie came into their lives.

“Hi.” she said and then went back into the closet to gather more clothing.

Jarod felt his heart tighten in pain at her cool tone and started to get up to go to her. She breezed out of the closet again and right past him. He almost felt the icy wind that came with her and it stopped any movements he was going to make.

“Mama? Daddy?” came Catie’s voice from her bedroom. “I'm hungry.”

Miss Parker paused in her motions at the sound of their daughter’s voice and turned to Jarod. She looked at him long enough to ask, “Would you make her breakfast? I still have to finishing packing.”

With that she walked over to the vanity and opened the drawer underneath and pulled out the shirts that were inside. Jarod looked at her in mock amazement, then shook his head and chuckled but the sound had a sad and slightly angry tint to it.

“Yeah, I’ll make her breakfast.” He stalked out of the room and called Catie into the kitchen.

Miss Parker felt him rather than saw him leave the room and as soon as he was out of the doorway she sunk onto the bench in front of the vanity. She looked at her image in the mirror and her anguished face reflected off of it. Miss Parker covered her face with her hands and let a sob escape her body. Suddenly she took in a deep breath, looked up again at the mirror and squared her shoulders.

“It’s the only way. Pull yourself together. It’s working so far; just keep it up until you get home. Then you can cry all you want, you wuss.” She said to her image angrily.

She scrubbed the tears from her face with the heels of her hands and ran her hand through her hair. She stood up again and vainly tried to ignore the happy sounds coming from the kitchen. With an aura of determination she resumed her packing, then started on her daughter’s clothing, ignoring every instinct in her body that was telling her to go into the kitchen and be with her family.

During the time it took for Miss Parker and Jarod to pack up, Catie had felt the tension between the two people. She remained on the couch, thumb in her tiny mouth, just watching with wide eyes as her mother and father packed up the car. She followed every movement, her blue gaze picking up every look or action that passed between her parents. Finally it came time to leave and go to the airport. Catie said good-bye to Sydney, Michelle, Nicholas, Broots, and Debbie for they were all taking different flights home as not to rouse suspicion from the Centre. Miss Parker did the same, but when Miss Parker reached Sydney she held him a little longer than the rest.

“We’re okay, Syd.” Miss Parker whispered into his ear and pulled out of his embrace. Sydney felt a rush of relief wash through him and he grinned at Miss Parker. She squeezed his hand and nodded her head. Miss Parker turned and saw Jarod bend down to Catie.

“Bye, my Catie-Bug.” Jarod said running his hand over Catie's dark hair and cupping her cheek. “I love you.”

Catie tried to keep a brave face and smiled slightly. “I know Daddy. I love you too.”

She gave him a big hug and walked over to where Miss Parker stood by the car door. Catie sighed and climbed into the car, settling herself in her car seat and hugged her teddy bear to her chest. The bravery was now completely gone and quiet tears ran down her face. Miss Parker leaned into the car to buckle Catie into her car seat and went to wipe the tears away.

“Tell him you love him too, Mama.” Catie soft voice whispered in Miss Parker’s ear. Miss Parker leaned back and look into Catie’s pleading gaze. “Please, keep us a family.”

Miss Parker was awed by the insight of her daughter, but when she considered that Catie was you could call an ultimate pretender and that she had a heightened sense of empathy anyway due to being a child, her surprise disappeared. She thought of how Catie had behaved earlier and realized that she had been getting into their heads and trying to simulate what they were feeling. Miss Parker’s heart broke at the thought that Catie had carried around Miss Parker and Jarod’s pain all day. She kissed Catie on the forehead and pulled out of the car.

Miss Parker looked over to where Jarod stood, silently watching his family leave him once again. She walked over to where he was and he looked at her in surprise. She let her eyes roam over his face and seemed to be memorizing every feature. Then her eyes took on her old icy glare. She stood on her tiptoes and reached her arms around his neck.

“Just hug me and don’t say anything.” She said, her voice cold.

“What?” Jarod asked not understanding.

“I am doing this for Catie so just go along with it!” she growled angrily. She pulled back and kissed him, but the passion that he had felt from her once, was now buried again or gone completely. He couldn’t tell which, for she broke it off before he could get a full reading on her.

“I need to go.” she said and let her arms drop to her sides.

He nodded and let her go, saddened but more determined than before to get back what they had. Without a backward glance to him, she walked back over to her car. With a small wave to everyone else who were still gathered by the doors of their respective beach house apartments, she climbed in and started the engine. She glanced in the rearview mirror and smiled at her daughter.

Catie smiled back and snuggled into her car seat, as Miss Parker began to drive to the airport. While Catie amused herself by watching the scenery go by, Miss Parker sighed and tried to hold in the pain that seemed to threaten to tear her heart out. But she was determined as well, not to be hurt like she had when her mother died. It is for the best and maybe when she is older, Catie will understand, Miss Parker thought. With that thought in mind, Miss Parker turned on the radio and got off at her exit onto the highway.