Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

“Mama, wake up! Come on, wake up!” Catie’s voice echoed in her ear and before she could do anything, Miss Parker found herself being a human trampoline for a very excited five year old. “Mama! It’s my birthday! Wake up, it’s already six thirty!”

Miss Parker groaned from under the covers and turned her head, the only part of her body that was moveable at the moment, only to realize Jarod had slipped out of the bed before Catie had gotten there. She felt a twinge of disappointment, but shrugged it off. Today was Catie’s day and she would let nothing ruin it.

Miss Parker felt Catie slip off the bed and then she waited until she could feel Catie standing next to her peering at the covers as though she had x-ray vision. She heard Catie sigh and sensed the little girl start to move away. Having found the opportunity she had been seeking, Miss Parker flipped back the covers and whipped out her arm to snag Catie around the waist. She yanked the tiny girl off her feet and hauled her under the covers with her while Catie giggled insanely.

“Hi, Baby.” Miss Parker said once she had Catie snuggled up against her body. “How are you this morning? I could’ve sworn I heard someone mention something about a birthday?”

Catie giggled again and wiggled to turn over and face her mother. “I said that. It’s my birthday!”

“So it is!” Miss Parker said and kissed Catie’s forehead. “Happy birthday, my sweet girl.”

Catie sighed and stuck her thumb in her mouth, then wiggled even closer to her mother’s chest. Mother and child fell back asleep almost immediately, continuing the ritual started by Miss Parker and her mother.

It was around eight o’ clock that morning when Miss Parker finally opened her eyes again and came face to face with another blue gaze. Catie watched her mother yawn and then she kissed her good morning.

“Now, Mama?” Catie asked impatiently. Miss Parker laughed and nodded. Catie whooped in delight and threw back the covers. Miss Parker grabbed her short, satin bathrobe from the end of the bed and wrapped it around herself, covering up the short light green satin nightie she wore. Then she took Catie’s hand and let the excited child lead her into the kitchen. They both stopped short at the sight of the whole town house decorated in streamers all different shades of pink. Presents were piled high by the sliding glass doors where just outside was the picnic table set up for the party that was to be in a couple of hours and balloons and streamers tied to every place possible.

“What took you guys so long? I nearly went in there with a bullhorn to try and wake you two up!” Jarod’s voice asked from the kitchen.

“Good morning, Daddy!” Catie yelled and ran to hug Jarod. He swung her up into his arms and placed her on his hip.

“Hi, Catie-Bug. How’s our little birthday girl?” Jarod asked as he tickled her slightly, making her giggle quietly.

“Fine, Daddy. Can I go outside and look at the table and all the party stuff?” Catie asked straining to see over her father’s shoulders.

Jarod chuckled and nodded. He let Catie slide down and watched her scamper over to the glass doors. “Oh wait, Catie.”

The little girl turned around and titled her head waiting for him to ask his question, “What do you want for breakfast?”

Catie placed her hands upon her hips and gave him a funny look. “Pancakes, Daddy. Duh!”

With that she opened the sliding doors and ran to look at the party setup.

“Duh!” Jarod said shaking his head. He caught Miss Parker’s eye and she smiled at him. She walked over and gently ran her hand through his hair and then let it trail down his cheek. She smiled self-consciously and stepped back, pulling her robe tighter around herself. She turned away to go over to the stove and was stopped when he snaked his arm around her waist and pulled her against him. Jarod wrapped his other arm across her chest and she lowered her head so that her lips were kissing his forearm. Jarod put his own head down atop of Miss Parker’s and then kissed it.

“Morning.” He whispered into her hair and she smiled against his arm.

“Morning.” She said back, her breath fluttering across his arm.

“Are we cold or something?” Jarod asked in regards to the bathrobe.

“No, it’s just that a certain vampire’s love bites have not exactly disappeared yet and I didn’t want to scare Catie. You know what I mean...it’s kind of like you wearing that undershirt with your pajama pants to hide the nail marks down your back.” Miss Parker said lifting her head and whispering into Jarod’s ear. She playfully nipped at his earlobe and he laughed.

As soon as Jarod’s grip loosed, Miss Parker stepped out of his embrace and moved again to the stove. “Catie is going to be very upset when she doesn’t see any pancakes on that table so I suggest you hurry and get me the mix.”

Jarod chuckled and did as Miss Parker said. Twenty minutes later they were all seated around the kitchen table eating and talking about the upcoming party. When they were done, Jarod offered to do the dishes so that Miss Parker and Catie could finish up the decorating. It was around noon when all of the decorating was finished and Miss Parker told Catie it was time for her nap.

“But, I’m not tired.” Catie protested loudly and crossed her arms, pouting.

“Catie, I don’t want you to be tired for the party okay? We do this every time you have to go to a birthday party. You say you’re not tired and we argue, but eventually you go down for a nap, right?” Miss Parker said and leaned down to her daughter’s level. Catie nodded, reluctantly. “How about we just skip the arguing part today, okay?”

Catie sighed and let her arms drop.

“Okay. But only an hour and a half! Not two hours like normal.” She said stubbornly.

“Only an hour and a half.” Miss Parker agreed holding back a smile. “Come on.”

She led Catie into her bedroom and tucked the girl in. Then as Catie instructed from her reclined position in bed, she placed the pink dress that Jarod had bought Catie specifically for this occasion on the dresser with the bow and tiara. Finally satisfied, Catie dozed off and Miss Parker slipped out of the room.

Miss Parker walked back in her own bedroom and then into the master bathroom. She turned on the shower full blast and then went to go pick out her own outfit. Pulling out the pale yellow sundress that used to belong to her mother, she held the material up to her nose and breathed in deeply. If she tried real hard she still smell her mother’s perfume in the fabric and Miss Parker felt her eyes tear.

“I wish you were here. You’d be so proud of her, Mama. She is so special.” Miss Parker whispered into the dress imagining her mother could hear her.

“Both her daughter and granddaughter are special and she would be proud of both of you.” Jarod said from behind her. Miss Parker brought the dress down from her face and she straightened, embarrassed to be caught talking to a piece of clothing.

“Don’t, Parker. Don’t hide your emotions. You’ve done that for too many years.” Jarod said pulling her to him in a hug.

Miss Parker just sighed and relaxed against his chest for a few brief moments. Then remembering that the shower was running she slid away from him and placed the dress on the bed. In silence, she gathered the towel and loofah sponge from the bathroom closet and slipped into the shower. She let the hot water run over her body for a few minutes and then let the tears flow with it. After a few minutes of releasing the pent up emotion, she felt somewhat lighter and began to wash herself with the vanilla scented body wash she had purchased on a whim.

The sudden feel of cold air made her shiver and she heard the shower door re-close. Knowing instinctively that Jarod was there, as she always seemed to do, Miss Parker just closed her eyes, and didn’t turn around.

“Are you all right?” Jarod asked a beat or two later. She smiled and nodded her head against his chest. He put his finger under her chin and lifted her head up so that she faced him and he kissed her forehead. She grinned wider and he took the loofah sponge from the dish on the shower wall. Squeezing body wash onto the white colored object he began to wash her lightly, in a erotic, but loving manner. She shivered in his arms and he kissed her tenderly on the lips. She let him turn her around so that he could wash her hair and sighed in contentment when he was finished.

“You need to go get dressed.” Jarod told her softly, almost reluctantly. He didn’t want to let her go, but he knew that she had to get ready. Still not ready to break the moment with words, Miss Parker just nodded and smiled at him. Then slipping around him she opened the shower door, letting a blast of cold air hit his body and make him shiver. The door shut momentarily and Jarod let the now lukewarm water run down his body. He waited and wasn’t disappointed when a few seconds later, heard the blow dryer come on. She was okay and he had put upon himself to see that she remained that way.

Jarod appeared out of the shower ten minutes later and found Miss Parker, dressed in a crop-top, loose fitting, sweat shirt and a pair of leggings, setting up her makeup on the vanity dresser top. She caught his gaze in the mirror and he winked at her. She smiled back and continued to arrange her makeup. Jarod got dressed in his white shirt and lightweight khaki pants, then moved out of the room to go put the presents out on the patio on the second picnic table.

While he did that, Miss Parker noticed that it was time to wake up Catie. She ran the bathtub full of semi-hot water then walked over to the little girl’s bedroom. She pushed the door open and tiptoed over to the bed. She gently shook Catie awake and waited. Catie rubbed her eyes sleepily and looked up into her mother’s face.

“Is it time for my party?” she asked. Miss Parker nodded and Catie grinned.

“Come on, Baby. Time for your bath and then we can get your pretty party dress on, okay?”

Catie nodded and got out of the bed. She helped Miss Parker carry her dress and underwear over to hang on the back of Catie’s bedroom door. Then they made their way into the bathroom and after checking that the water had cooled down like she had expected, Miss Parker slipped Catie’s nightgown over the girl’s head and helped her into the bathtub. Catie immediately went for her Mermaid Barbie and began to play with the doll in the water. Miss Parker smiled and just let her play as she soaped up the washcloth and washed the little girl’s back. She rinsed her off and then did the girl’s front. Then she told Catie to close her eyes and she washed her face, scrubbing it playfully, making Catie giggle. Miss Parker washed Catie’s hair, making a side comment that the little girl would need a haircut soon and soon they were finished.

Miss Parker pulled the drain and let the water flow out of the tub then held up a big, fluffy, blue towel to dry off her daughter. Catie stood up in the tub and let Miss Parker wrap her up like a bundle and carry her into her bedroom again. Miss Parker sat Catie down onto the bed and began to rub the water off her body. Miss Parker looked up and noticed Catie was watching her closely.

“Are you okay, Baby?” Miss Parker asked titling her head to study Catie.

“Mama, are you still mad at me and Pop-Pop?”

Miss Parker was taken aback by her daughter’s question and stopped drying Catie off. The large towel hung on the girl’s shoulders making her seem so small and bringing out the deep blue of her innocent eyes. Miss Parker took the little girl’s hands in her own and held them tightly.

“No, Catie. I am not mad at you...or your Pop-Pop. I was at first, but you have to understand that it was a very big shock for me. Do you remember how it felt when you learned that Jarod was your father? Well, you had only known him for a little while. I have known Sydney my whole life and to learn that I am his daughter felt ten times as surprising. Do you understand?” Miss Parker asked Catie and smiled when the little girl nodded.

“Pop-Pop is still coming to my birthday party though, right?” Catie said anxiously biting her lip.

“Yes, Baby, he is coming. Don’t you worry. Everything is all right. This is your big day and it is going to be perfect. I promise you.” Miss Parker said and then stood abruptly. “Now then, let’s get you dressed in all your finery and then maybe you can help your mama get dressed herself, okay?”

Catie grinned and threw off the towel. She grabbed her underwear and began to dress hurriedly, while Miss Parker laughed and then began to help her daughter into her clothes.