Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

No infringement on copyright is intended. The characters- Miss Parker, Jarod, Sydney. Do not belong to me but to NBC or TNT. Neither does the Mariah Carey song Against all Odds. I’m just borrowing them as it is Saturday afternoon and I have exactly 8 and a half hours to wait for the Pretender to come on.

This is a sequel to How Can I



Flickering
Felicity Drummond





Jarod stared hauntedly into the flickering fire. The flame reflected in his eyes symbolising the twinkling humour that could usually be found there. But not tonight. It had been 2 months since he disappeared from the Centres radar. 2 months since he cut all connection with his past. And a month since he realised his mistake. At first he had pushed the growing realisation away. He couldn’t turn back so what was the point in regrets. He tried to lose himself in the search for his family in a myriad of pretends. But his heart was in neither cause. ‘His heart?’ He’d left that behind. Why couldn’t he forget. It was the same reason he couldn’t sleep.

She haunted his dreams and nightmares. Her Icy blue eyes tortured his very soul. It had come to him the other night. The reason the illogical sense. Summarised In shadows and whispers, A poisonous blow. All his life he had been hoping and searching. The only thing that kept him going was the distant dream of finding his family. Of being reunited. All that time without realising it. He had been with his family or they had been relentlessly pursuing him. It came to him again now as he looked blankly into the flames. Parker and Sydney were his family.

Major Charles, Emily, even Kyle if he had lived could not fill the void left by his blindness. “If only we could see things for what they are before their gone.” He mumbled quietly to himself. If only.

“No, No…” He insisted to himself. “No regrets.”

“Are you ok a kindly voice came from the other side of the fire.” Jarod reassured the inquirer and doused his thoughts in the shroud of reality. He had learnt every lesson the Centre had taught him well. Never show emotion, Trust can kill you or set you free and Lie to your enemy’s, to your friends, To yourself. As far as Jarod could see it was the only way he could survive.

***

Sydney watched Parker carefully worry creasing his forehead as she stared despondently into space as yet unaware of his presence.

“Parker.” He finally said gently. She started then relaxed seeing it was Sydney.

“You shouldn’t do that Syd, She joked. You know what I’m capable of.” The smile she gave him did not reach her eyes. “Did you come for something specific.” She asked curiously.

Sydney shrugged his shoulders dispassionately and took a seat. Miss Parker followed his example leaning back and putting her feet on her desk. She was dressed to kill in a short white skirt; pink shirt and thigh length white and silver heeled boots. Over the last few weeks her clothes had become even more of a shield communicating a message she’d reinforced with a vengeance after Jarods disappearance. Don’t touch. Translated as only someone like Sydney had the ability to do the message took on a more meaningful tone. Don’t get to close or else.

Sydney sighed. “Are you ok Parker?” He questioned gently.

Miss Parker grinned coldly. “Just Peachy Syd.”

Sydney smiled in amusement as a note of sarcasm entered her voice. “How could I not be.” She continued. “With all this paperwork my loving fathers got me doing.” She pouted comically.

Sydney’s smile, widened. “If I didn’t know you better Parker I’d think you resented being back in Corperate.” His accurate insight earned him a warning glare. He reached forward and handed her the file he was holding loosely in his hands. “From your loving, brother. He said pointedly.

Miss Parker’s eyes narrowed dangerously. They certainly take sibling rivalry to a new level. He analysed thoughtfully. A glint appeared in Miss Parkers eyes as she read through the file. An evil, mischievous glint that Sydney didn’t like the look of.

“Parker.” He said sternly. Miss Parker pasted an expression of pure innocence across her face.

“Yes Syd.” She raised her eyebrows inquiringly and Sydney shook his head in warning.

“Just be careful, ok” Miss Parker smiled mysteriously.

“Of course.” Sydney sent one more warning look her way and left.

***

Miss Parker watched Sydney go concealing a contented smile. Over the last few weeks She had grown closer to the man she had often in her lifetime considered more of a father to her than her own. It was nice to know someone cared for her even though she usually pushed such thoughts away as weakness. Maybe this was the only time she would admit it to her-self let alone out loud.

But she needed his love. It was love. She realised that now. She shook off the overwhelming sense of depression that set in at that word. Her mind screamed warning signs and associating it with death and guilt. She shook off the foreboding and turned her thoughts back to the file in front of her. It was a satisfying and powerful feeling. Her brother needed her help, Just how many different ways could she manipulate this situation. Turn his trap into one of her own. The possibilities were endless and she ran what she associated as pleasant thoughts through her head assimilating her brothers downfall even death.

***

Jarod sighed contentedly as he cantered his horse down the rough trail. The early morning air heightened his sense and blew away the black depression of the night before. He listened contentedly to the sounds of children’s laughter behind him. It had been a good idea to become a camp counsellor he decided.

There was something normal and comforting about spending time with these kids. His mind drifted back to the first night of the trail ride. He remembered vividly the smell of burning wood and gooey marshmallows. He found most of all however it was the teenagers who brought him the most enjoyment. Their carefree attitude to life was therapeutic and refreshing.

He was here for a reason other than restoration however. A web of lies lay thickly underneath the surface of this casual atmosphere. And the truth lay within one of the children. He looked back just making out the quiet figure eyes downcast oblivious to the joy of youth around her. She was a pretty around thirteen with long straight black hair. Jarod suppressed his protective instinct, which bubbled up just in thought of the seeming innocent.

He turned back to the track thoughtfully before taking one more look backwards. She looked up at the same moment and he shivered as her black eyes drilled into his own. They say the eyes are the windows to the soul he mused wondering what she saw when she looked at him. He felt as if she had seen straight into his psyche and he longed to take that last moment back. Not for what she might have seen in but for what he saw in her eyes and soul, nothing!

***

Miss Parker paused for dramatic effect as she pulled open the doors to her brother’s office with both hands. She then began to make her way forward shouded in an air of confidence and something ultimately more dangerous. Lyle looked up taking a discreet gasp of breath at his sister’s statuesque beauty.

He took in every movement as she walked forward gracefully. He knew she was doing this on purpose, trying to catch him off balance. But he just could not prevent himself from becoming dizzy with the effect. He pasted a charming smile across his face. He couldn’t afford to get on her bad side, not to day. As far as enemies were concerned Lyle considered Parker his greatest threat. Not only because of her claim as heir to the Parker thrown but also for the extent in which he sensed their father underestimated her.

Lyle had a feeling even Jarod had made that mistake.

Sydney was undoubtedly the only person who knew what Miss Parker was capable of. Lyle didn’t especially want to find out first hand. Miss Parker glided up to his desk and snapped her fingers in front of his face.

“Lyle.” She called in a hypnotic voice. “Earth to Lyle.”

Lyle quickly shook himself out of his reverie and looked up at his sister questioningly.

“You wanted to see me little brother?”

Lyle pulled himself to his feet. It didn’t do to have his sister towering on ‘nine-inch’ heels above his head. Standing he was at least equal height. He moved around his desk and stood before her. “I need your help Parker.”

Miss Parker sighed contentedly leaving an implied message of I knew the day would come in the air.

“You’re assuming I care.” She answered in a deep, low and threatening voice, which was just above a whisper though she couldn’t have shouted with any more expression.

Lyle ground his teeth. Biting back an acidic remark which would have rivalled even one of Miss Parker’s sarcastic one liners. “Did you read the file?” He instead questioned impatiently. He didn’t have time for mind games.

Miss Parker sighed almost disappointedly before herself getting down to business. “Of course I read it she tuned with humour. Though I’ve no idea why. Have Z4 files become requested Centre reading now?” She ended raising her eyebrows in inquiry.

Lyle rolled his eyes and put a hand on her arm. Miss Parker looked down her eyes widening in question. Lyle drew her closer and whispered quietly and conspiratorially in her ear. “We Parkers have to stick together.” He began.

Miss Parker gingerly removed his hand from her arm as if shaking off a foreign object and leaned in closer. “We is plural?” she whispered in a confidential and threatening tone. Leaving the implication that he should use ‘singular’ hanging. “You can thank me for the English lesson later she finished off smiling before becoming distracted. And straightening his collar perfectionistically. Lyle raised his eyebrows questioningly.

Miss Parker sighed. “Image is everything at the Centre.” She explained cryptically before walking serenely out of his office.

Lyle shook his head in confusion. He hated feeling like he’d missed some hidden message in her words. With Jarod and Parker there always seemed to be a deeper or double meaning. At least with Jarod however that had been constant. Lyle sighed and sat back down at his desk suddenly realising that he still had no idea either way wether he could rely on Parker’s support or not. “How does she do that.” He wondered out loud. Feeling completely disconcerted.

****

Sydney sat tiredly in his office remembering. He missed his prodigy and often wished Jarod would call to ask advice or even just to talk. It was painful to realise that Jarod didn’t need him any more. It was a feeling maybe parents had when their children got married or moved away. And Jarod was like a son to Sydney. He looked guiltily at a photo of his real son, Nicholas. But somehow the connection was not there. Not, with him.

Miss Parker walked purposefully through Sydney’s office door. She had an unreadable expression on her face as she closed the door behind her-self. “Sydney.” She said. He looked up and she went on. “Lyle’s up to something I know it.” She began to pace the room distractedly. “Where’s Broots?” She finally asked.

Technically she no longer needed to ask Broots to help her research-wise. Secretly she had asked him 3 or so years ago to teach her what he did. She was a fast learner and what would have taken others years she had mastered in months. Right now however she needed his other skill, being inconspicuous. Broots learned a lot of information just by being unnoticeable so others talked in front of him.

“Sydney.” She called again realising an answer had not been forthcoming.

Sydney shrugged his shoulders distractedly and she walked out with a groan of annoyance. She found Broots seated typically at his computer in a room full of other technicians. She stalked up behind him and inwardly grinned as she could almost see the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end as she hovered over him.

“Broots”, she finally said. When he gave up the tactic of pretending she wasn’t there and looked up to her.

He sighed. “Yes Miss Parker?” He said nervously.

Miss Parker drew him from the room to an empty office. “I need to know what my brother is up to.” She whispered warily.

Looking around. Broots nodded and took a gasp of breath. “According to a friend of mine, Lily…” A dreamy look came into Broots eyes as he mentioned the name.

Miss Parker smirked inwardly Broots personal life was always good for a laugh. “Who’s Lily” she said out loud hoping the question wouldn’t send him off on the wrong tangent. “Lily’s one of Lyle’s secretaries.” Broots explained then made to go on.

Miss Parker frowned in mock confusion. “What no physical defect worth mentioning.” She asked in shock horror.

Broots smiled amused. Then deciding from her glare now was the time to continue he rushed on. “Lily told me Mr Lyle has been spending a lot of time across the river. Apparently there’s some unauthorised project to do with an orphanage there but the Triumvirate found out and unless he gathers the full support of the Board it will be trashed.”

Miss Parker nodded silently. She had guessed as much. The file had been to do with the taking of a child named Cherie Grey. She sighed.

“I’d like you to spend some time with this Lily. She could be useful. See what else you can find out, I want to know every option I have before I go In to that meeting on Friday.” She finished more to herself.

Broots nodded quite pleased with his assignment. “Is there anything else I can do Miss Parker?” He questioned.

Miss Parker thought carefully. “If I know my brother he will have found some way to gather the support of most of the board.”

“You mean bought them out?” Broots asked in shock.

“So to speak.” Miss Parker replied. “Except in the Centre dirt is more useful than money.” She considered carefully. “I want you to find out what he has on them, I need proof Broots. And if anything shady unearths itself about my brother in the midst of all this the better.”

Broots nodded nervously hoping this assignment didn’t lead to grievious bodily harm. One thing was for sure though. If he didn’t come up with something Parker would be likely to inflict that her-self. Broots swallowed nervously.

“Well, don’t just stand there.” Parker insisted distractedly. “Get to work! And make sure you get Proof Broots!” She added as he walked away. Lyle’s not slithering out of this one. She vowed to herself.

***

Jarod watched Cherie as they hitched their tents for the night. She stayed away from the other children and counsellors preferring her own company. Jarod was intrigued with her. In a way the mystery surrounding Cherie helped to keep his mind of Parker and all the things he left behind. If Only he had realised the reason being she was connected to what he had left behind he would probably have turned his back, walked away.

It sounds selfish but Cherie was different. She had an air about her that communicated her self-reliance. And she wasn’t the innocent victim he had at first figured her to be. Cherie just wasn’t the kind of person you saved. Jarod finished putting up his tent and retrieved a red notebook from his bag. His gaze wondered over to the head counsellor Steve Breccia. Over the last few years ten teenage girls had gone missing from camps such as this one. In each case they were assumed lost their bodies never found. Instinct told Jarod Breccia had something to do with it.

Logic backed up instinct as Steve Breccia had been at every one of the camps where the young girls disappeared. Without meaning her to be Cherie had become Breccia’s bait. Uneasiness blew through Jarod and not for the first time at what he was risking. As in the times before he tried to convince himself There was no risk, That he wouldn’t let there be but he had simmed the results and the room for error frightened him almost to the point of getting Cherie out of this place as soon as possible. A small dark part of his mind however whispered of the greater good. He had so much guilt on his head already wasn’t it worth the risk? Not being able to call up Sydney, to ask for advice or receive comfort gnawed at his sanity putting him on guard and stretching the tension inside him to breaking point. Out of the corner o his eye he saw Steve beckoning to Cherie and he was not about to miss this chance of making his move.

***

Parker was dressed to kill all in black. She was well prepared for the evening ahead her instinct born through long distant training as a cleaner was sharpened. The excitement she had suppressed craving for yrs ago sacrificing the active job to mount the ladder of Centre hierarchy was back with a vengeance. She pulled her hair back in a high ponytail and checked her gun before heading to the door. She was not sure how she had got herself into this situation.

She’d discovered Lyle’s top secret mission scheduled for tonight early in the afternoon. She was not sure at the time what to do with the information until he had requested she be a part of the team. Instinct told her to accept. Knowledge could only be an advantage here and though the object of this top-secret mission riled the glimmer of conscience she had left she ignored the voice in her head faintly screaming its objections and sped to the Centre. Lyle, Sam and Willie were just getting ready as she arrived and she got in the back of one of the two Centre issue black Sedans they were taking with her brother.

Their mutual contempt of each other was put aside in the cover of night. Lyle could be charming company when he wanted to be and Miss Parker without letting her guard down cautiously relaxed.

***

Jarod held a panting Steve under the water again demanding answers. He had a dark look of contempt in his eyes and Steve tried desperately to deal with the present or more distant threat. Finally his lungs bursting for air he nodded his head.

“Alright!” he gasped. “I’ll tell you.” Jarod looked at him expectantly as Cherie watched them both from the shadows. Jarod had told her to go back to the camp but she was curious.

“I only take them to a pick up spot. I don’t know what they take them for I’m just given the names and a place.

Jarod growled, “Not good enough who do you take them to.”

Steve took a deep breath. “They are from an organisation, From Blue Cove I think. I don’t know anything more I swear.”

Jarod backed back in shock. The Centre, it couldn’t be though it made sense. The girls taken had not been ordinary, they had all had abilities and been classed special in some way. So this was the Centres new way of abducting children for their research. Jarod felt as though he was going to be sick. He tied Steve with strong rope to a tree nearby and turned to leave.

“Wait!” The other guy called out in panic and began to struggle wildly. “You can’t leave me here.”

“Lifes a bitch aint it.” Jarod replied in a dark voice. He walked over where Cherie was standing.

“Are you all right?” He inquired out of breath.

Cherie looked over at Steve intense hatred filling her eyes replacing nothingness with a dept of emotion Jarod had not believed anyone had the ability to show.

“I’m fine.” She said in a carefree voice, which far contradicted the look in her eyes.

There was a detached quality to every word she said. As if she were somewhere else far distant from reality. He would have said more but at that moment two sedans screamed to a stop. He had not realised they were so near the road and he shuddered as he realised the trap he had unwittingly fallen into.

The plates were undoubtedly from Blue Cove. He could see that in the light of the headlights. He attempted to run but Lyle, Parker, Sam and Willies guns were all trained on him though they had yet to recognise his identity as he was only a silhouette in the shadows.

Miss Parker came close enough to make out his features first and gaped in wonderment before replacing her surprise with a mask of intense hatred and something else that he could only recognise. Betrayal.

“Well, well, well.” She grinned evilly towards him. “Fancy meeting you here, the freedom must have gone to your head for you to have been this careless.”

Jarod frowned desperately as Lyle watched on a chesire cat smile of satisfaction on his face. His sister was facing this test very well. It had been the Triumvirates Idea. Create a situation that Jarod could barely resist with maximum emphasis on used innocents then bring Parker in on the operation.

The confrontation was a test of loyalty. If she failed, Lyle was to kill her, immediately. If she passed his chance at Chairman of the Centre fell null and void but at least he had the satisfaction of knowing the compassionate side of her nature, the one she hid would torture her for the rest of her life for killing her childhood confidante.