Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: I am not a pretender who can become anyone she wants to be so I am not one of the writers, producers, or staff workers of The Pretender...though wouldn't it be nice if I were? I don't even live anywhere near the Pretender people. I am from the Southern part of the US. I just like to borrow the characters for my own purposes, but I always give them back and I know that this is not real. The pretender writers and producers are the only ones that know what they are doing. Thanks for reading my little disclaimer. I hope it has been as enjoyable as reading a fanfic. Now to the good stuff...:)




The Significant Star
By Admiral Sab




The Centre

(Miss Parker walks through the halls wondering where Broots and Sydney are when she runs into Sam the Sweeper.)

Sam: Miss Parker, this came for you this morning. (he hands her a package)

Miss Parker: Thanks. (she goes to open it when she is interrupted by footsteps behind her. Miss Parker turns to see her father standing there)

Mr. Parker: Angel, how are you today?

Miss Parker. Don't you Angel me. I am not your daughter remember?

Mr. Parker: that may be so, but you are still my angel. I can still remember how you got that name...when you were only 3 years old-

Miss Parker (growing irritated): I have heard that story so many times and I have to wonder now if even that's a lie.

Mr. Parker: Angel, don't.

Miss Parker: you know the only person that has never lied to me is Jarod. Why is that? He has every reason to lie to me, but he never has...makes one wonder doesn't it?

Mr. Parker: it's no secret that Jarod wants to turn you against me, against the Centre and against your family.

Miss Parker: but it the funny thing is Mr. Parker, by lying you became the person that made me turn against you. It took a sociopath to make me realize that.

Mr. Parker: we still have to capture Jarod. Don't lose your focus, whether you are my daughter or not I am still in charge here.

Miss Parker: Yeah. I know. Don't worry, I want to find Jarod as much as you do, if not more... (she walks away and you can hear her heels clapping against the floor).

Miss Parker's office

Miss Parker: All right, Jarod, what did you send me this time?

Broots: um miss parker.

Miss Parker: come in. (irritated)

Broots: I think you should know that i just intercepted an e-mail from your fath- uh Mr. Parker and its about your little brother.

Miss Parker: what? (her concern evident)

Broots: i-it was not a long e-mail. It was just saying to prepare the baby for departure. He said that its time.

Miss P: time for what?

Broots: i-i don-don't know. Why don't you ask him?

Miss P.: that's a good idea.

***

Miss P: Mr. Parker..why are you leaving so quickly?

Mr. P: I was just going to take junior outside for a walk.

Miss P.: I guess I don't have the right anymore as the big sis to stop you from taking him..

Mr. P: No you don't Miss Parker.

Miss P.: you know I won't let you hurt him be next in the line of people that I love to be hurt by the Centre.

Mr. P: I don't think that is in question...but my dear, he won't be harmed. He's my son. I wouldn't let anything happen to him.

Miss P.: yeah right your son. (a thought occurs to her) Mr. Parker, you
lied about my being your daughter, so you can lie about him being your son.
That is what the Centre is all about...deciet, secrets, LIES!

Mr. P: but Baby Parker was born to Brigitte and I, you know that. You delivered the baby.

Miss P.: I am not sure what I know anymore.

Mr. P: then maybe you should just drop this and focus your attention to Jarod. He is the key remember?

Miss P: yeah I remember. (she kisses the baby and walks away with a plan forming in her mind)

***

Miss Parker's House

(Miss P sits on her couch and finally opens the package. It's a note from Jarod.)

Parker,
meet me at the gas station near your house tonight at 8: 00 pm, I have some new information for you that I could not give to you over the phone. I hope you understand. Come alone.
Jarod.

(Miss Parker checks her watch and realizes that it is after 8 and hopes he will still be there. She grabs her keys and dashes out the door gun in

***

The Gas Station in Blue Cove

(Miss Parker arrives and doesn't see anyone there. She gets out of her vehicle and runs up to the store.)

Miss P: have you seen this man? (shows a pic of Jarod)

Store Owner: yes ma'am. He was waiting here for awhile and said if a lady came looking for him to tell her that he decided to go look at the stars. Do you know what that means?

(Miss P thinks of the time she met Thomas and stargazed with him. The place wasn't too far from the gas station.)

Miss P: thank you sir.

Store Owner: you are welcome.

***

The Woods

(Miss Parker arrives and sees Jarod sitting and staring up at the sky. Miss P starts to speak but Jarod notices her behind him.)

Jarod: It's a beautiful night for stargazing don't you think?

Miss P: I am sorry I am late. I just got your note.

Jarod: I thought you weren't coming.

Miss P: aww come on Jarod you know me better than that. I always come when you send for me. I have no idea why though..

Jarod: because you want answers and so do I. Why are we on separate teams Miss Parker? We both want the same thing...the truth.

Miss P: Jarod, you can't expect me to-

Jarod: Look at the stars, Miss Parker. Its amazing. There are millions
upon millions of stars and we take them for granted. If one doesn't come out the next night we don't even notice. It's insignificant. But the sun.. the brightest star of all...if you take that away. That is significant. You could say it's important to the world and even to your world.

Miss Parker: Jarod, I-

Jarod: Would you notice the sun if it went away Miss Parker?

Miss P: of course. I know what you are getting at Jarod, but-

Jarod: one day Miss Parker you are going to have to choose sides. That time will come. I hope for your sake you chose the right side.

Miss P: Jarod, I am not going to chose sides. This isn't about sides...

Jarod: your wrong. That is what this is all about. It's about whose on whose side. I am fighting by myself right now with a little assistance now and again from the other side.

Miss P. : I am not on anyone's side! Jarod can you just tell me the information that you said you would tell me!

Jarod: if you never had the sun you would never know what it was like. I have tasted the sun Miss Parker. That light was taken away though from the center. I wonder if it's not too late for that light to spark again.

Miss P.: When the sun sets, the moon is there to take its place.

Jarod: but the moon isn't the sun. I miss the sunshine.

Miss P: (softening her resolve) Jarod, I can't be that girl that you knew. I can't.

Jarod: My metaphor was that obvious huh? I need to start working on subtlety..

Miss P: No, it was subtle, its just that I understood because I have been thinking a lot about the light and the darkness that has overcome the light.

Jarod: Fight the darkness.

Miss P: i don't know how. The darkness has been my way of life for so long now...

Jarod: but it doesn't have to stay that way. I know you Miss Parker probably better than anyone else alive. I trust you or I wouldn't keep contacting you and helping you find what you are looking for-

Miss P: i know Jarod. I know. And I thank you for all of your help. Give me some time and ask me again. I may have a different answer. Now why did you want me to meet you.

Jarod: I found out some information about Mr. Parker. He is definitely not your father. He isn't even Baby Parker's dad. The funny thing is neither is Brigitte.

Miss P: i had a feeling about that today. I was talking to Mr. Parker and he called the baby his son...and I something didn't feel right about that statement. I meant to call Broots and tell him to look into the baby's father and find out for sure who the father is or isn't.

Jarod: i am not entirely sure who the parents are, Miss Parker, but they aren't Brigitte and Mr. Parker. There is no way. There is only one thing for certain...the baby is very special to the center.

Miss P: that can only mean one thing... he's a red file.

Jarod: exactly. What do you say, Miss Parker, you wanna join my side?

Miss P: i didn't mean for you to ask me so soon.

Jarod: no time like the present.

Miss P: ok. Just because its for my- its for the child.

***

Miss Parker's Office

Broots: Miss Parker! I did what you asked me to do. I found out where Mr. Parker took the baby.

Miss Parker: where?

Broots: He took him to a place not far from here. Here is a map with the directions marked on it. Oh and I found this DSA in your Dad's office its marked Confidential.

Miss Parker: what isn't marked confidential?

Broots: true. But i thought it might hold some answers.

Miss P: thanks, Broots. I owe you.

Broots: yes miss parker you are welcome. (he scurries away as Sydney enters)

Syd: Miss Parker, what is that?

Miss P: its a DSA Broots just gave me. Sit down we'll watch it together. (she puts the DSA in the player and they watch and listen as Mr. Parker talks to Brigitte and Mr. Raines)

Mr. Parker: So, Mr. Raines, she should be pregnant by the end of the year? It's very important that this works.

Mr. Raines: i know Mr. Parker, you don't have to remind me about the importance of this project.

Mr. Parker: Mirage was to be a very special child. Too bad he didn't make it. It's ok though, because Baby Parker will be better than that child ever could have been.

Brigitte: yes, because it will be born from a mother who loves him or her and a father that adores him or her.

Mr. Parker: that's right, Sweetheart.

Mr. Raines: I don't care how much it is loved by you just don't lose your focus and never allow Miss Parker or Jarod the knowledge of this project. If they were to find out-

Brigitte: We know. Miss Parker would leave the center for good..

Mr. Parker: go ahead Mr. Raines. You can trust us. (Mr. Raines exits)

Brigitte: i am so glad he is gone. I can't wait to find out that i am pregnant.

Mr. Parker: neither can I. Mr. Raines might think that I am stupid, I know about Ethan living and being his project. But soon I will have my own Ethan and once he is brought up in the ways of being a Parker, nothing will stop me from achieving what is rightfully mine...

(the DSA ends there)

***

Miss Parker: BROOTS! Is that car ready yet? (Broots enters her office)

Broots: yes ma'am.

Miss Parker: good. I am going alone. I will call you if i need you.

Sydney: Miss Parker, don't forget to trust your inner sense and be careful. Listen to the voices.

Miss Parker: bye Syd.

The Highway in Miss Parker's Car (Miss P is driving when her phone rings)

Jarod: can i hitch a ride?

Miss P: where are you?

Jarod: look out your window. (she looks out the window and slams on her breaks when she sees Jarod standing on the side of the road thumbing for a ride. She hangs up the phone and so does he.)

Jarod: where are you headed?

Miss P: to find Mr. Parker and the baby and get some answers. Here you should see this. (She hands him the DSA and he plays it on his player)

***

Jarod: (looking at her with disgust) How could they be so cruel? They don't care about the baby... all they care about is his precious gift.

Miss P: i know. But it won't be much longer and I we will be there to rescue him. I only hope we aren't too late.

Jarod: what are the voices telling you?

Miss P: he's safe. My mother wants you to know that she is happy you are free.

Jarod: really?

Miss P: Would I lie to you?

Jarod: you never have...

Miss P: Ok then, boy genius.

Jarod: you really can't stand that I am smarter than you can you?

Miss P: I can stand it because I know its in your genes...its all genetic. Just like my inner sense is genetic.

Jarod: wait a minute.

Miss P: (hearing the inner sense static) wait a minute.(realization hits at the statements they are making)

Jarod: you don't think that...

Miss P: how?

Jarod: however they wanted to. It is the Centre.

Miss P: Jarod, if its true then.. we are...and I delivered...

Jarod: your own son.

Miss P: I need a cigarette.

Jarod: you quit that remember?

Miss P: i know but I always seem to forget when I really need one...

Jarod: you don't need a cigarette, Miss Parker, you need answers. And we will soon have them.

***

Mr. Parker's Hide Out

(Miss Parker and Jarod arrive and quietly enter the house to find Mr. Parker and the baby with Mr. Lyle)

Miss P: what's he doing here?

Jarod: i am not sure. Let's go find out.

Miss P: after you. (she gestures her hand to allow him to pass)

(They walk quietly up behind them and scare them)

Miss P: so Lyle, what are you doing here?

Jarod: yeah Lyle, what do you want with your baby brother?

Lyle: i don't want anything with him. But I do want something with you.

(Lyle pulls out his gun as does Mr. Parker) Now Jarod, put your gun away.

(Miss P draws out her own gun and aims it at Lyle) Miss Parker, whose side are you on?

(Jarod glances over at her to see her reaction.)

Miss Parker (grits her teeth and smiles): I didn't want to chose sides, but you have left me no choice. I chose the side that has never lied to me and has given me more truth than I have known my whole life. I chose Jarod's side.

Jarod: (grins happily) I am glad to hear that.

Lyle: so am I. It gives me a new reason to kill you.

Mr. Parker: Lyle, don't shoot her or Jarod. I need them alive.

Jarod and Miss P: why?

Jarod: is it because of the baby?

Mr. Parker: it's what everything is about. Power. Control.

Miss P: you no longer have control or power over me, remember. And I know you don't have power or control over Jarod, so why do you need us alive?

Mr. Parker: I may not have control or power over you two, but I do have it over that baby in there. I know how special he is to you, Angel.

Miss P: for the last time, I am not your Angel.

Mr. Parker: Fine. I need you both alive because the baby is very special to the Centre. I am not fully sure how to develop his special gifts. I would get Sydney to help, but he has grown soft. I know that you two would help since you both have a soft spots for children.

Miss P: yes we do, but I could also kidnap the child and leave with him. How's that for a softspot?

Mr. Parker: Yes, you could do that. But you would always be on the run. The Centre would never let you live in peace. I would never let you live in peace. Him being my son and all.

Miss P: there's that phrase again "MY son". I have been doing some thinking about that...and I have come to the conclusion that he is NOT your son. I have evidence so don't try to deny it.

Lyle: Miss Parker, don't meddle in things that are not of your business.

Miss P: oh and they are YOUR business? Since when? You were one of Raines's pet projects too weren't you? How many did he have? Let's see there was you, kyle, timmy, Alex, and Ethan. I know there were more, but those are the ones that I can remember. Ethan was a special boy too wasn't he. Now what made him so special?

Jarod: I believe it was because he was the offspring of a genius and a person with Inner Sense capabilities...both genetic.

Miss P: Right. Tell me something Mr. Lyle, do I look stupid to you? Is it because I wasn't one of Raines's projects or Sydney's that you think that I am stupid?

Jarod: I don't think you are stupid, Miss Parker. I think you are pretty smart.

Lyle: well isn't that sweet. You'll excuse me if I have to run and vomit.

Jarod: I know you aren't used to caring about someone Mr. Lyle. You torture and kill the ones that try to care about you.

Miss P: you are one sick puppy Lyle. You don't deserve Mr. Raines's thumb.

Lyle: You don't deserve to breathe right now, but hey look at that- you are.

Jarod: Lyle, why don't you go find an asian woman somewhere and lock her up for fun.

Lyle: I will right after I kill you.

Miss P: i don't think so Lyle.

Jarod: your right, he must think you are stupid.

Lyle: who?

Mr. Parker: how do you know her name?

Miss P: why Mr. Parker, surely you don't expect a woman never to tell anyone her first name.

Lyle: I never knew your first name...hmmm...

Miss P: and I am sorry you do now. Mr. Parker, I told Jarod my first name the day that you allowed us to meet for that research that you and Sydney wanted to do.

Mr. Parker: and I told Sydney that was a bad idea, but he insisted that you two be allowed to meet. Finally he convinced me with the idea of the experiment. I didn't expect the two of you to be friends as fast as you did.

Jarod: Remind me to thank Sydney for that. It was one of the best experiments i have been through.

Miss Parker: Mr. Parker, you owe us an explanation. You aren't the baby's father and Brigitte is not the baby's mother. I saw the DSA and Jarod did blood work. We know. And the voices are telling me that I know the truth. And I am going to trust those voices. I told you earlier that I couldn't ask you not to take the baby because I couldn't use the sister claim… but I can use another claim. One that is higher than the sister claim...I can use the mother claim.

Mr. Parker(shocked): I-You-how?

Lyle: (even more shocked): Well Miss Parker, you have been busy...those voices also telling you to trust Jarod over your family? Over your blood?

Miss Parker: you aren't my family. Mr. Parker isn't my father and I don't claim you as my brother Lyle. I never have and I never will. Now, let me have my child and I will walk out of here and you will never have to worry about me again.

Mr. Parker: i can't just let you take my- the child. My whole career depends on that child. If you take him away... I will lose all of my chances-

Jarod: I didn't think it was possibly for me to dislike you anymore than I already do, but that statement you just made proved me wrong. I do dislike you more than I did. I can not believe what i am hearing. Miss Parker, go get your son.

Miss Parker: you mean, our son.

Mr. Parker: NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! (he runs and grabs Miss Parker)

Jarod: Nooo! Mr. Parker let her go...please don't hurt her.

Mr. Parker: I never wanted to hurt her. I need you two alive, but I need the baby alive with me more. I will kill you if it means saving MY son.

Jarod: he's not your son! (Jarod lunges at Mr. Parker and Lyle shoots missing Jarod by very little)

Miss P: see Mr. Parker, I am not the only one that misses Jarod. (she grins) Jarod don't worry about me. I can take care of myself. Go get our son.

Jarod: all right.

Lyle: oh no you don't. (they race to Baby Parker, Jarod beats Lyle to the baby.)

Jarod: I have him now. Mr. Parker, let her go.

Mr. Parker: give me my son, and you can have her.

Miss Parker: don't trust him

Jarod: I have been trying to tell you that for almost 6 years now. I am glad you finally listened.

Miss Parker: Jarod this is not time for your jokes, get the child out of here!

Jarod: I am not going to leave you here!

Mr. Parker: then give me the baby.

Lyle: just give him the child.

Jarod: i have a better idea. (he shoots Mr. Parker in the knee)

Mr. Parker: OUCH!!! (he nearly falls and Miss Parker takes this as her opportunity and back slaps him and he falls to the ground. Lyle tries to stop them but Jarod shoots his feet and he falls to the ground too. Miss Parker runs to Jarod and they run off together with the baby)

Miss Parker: hurry Jarod! Get in!

Jarod: believe me, Miss Parker, I know all about being on the run.

Miss P: yeah about the whole chasing you thing...you know I only did it because I had too.

Jarod: it's ok Miss Parker. I understand. I always understood. But I knew one day, that the sunshine would come back and those ugly cloudy, rainy days would go away.

Miss P: Jarod?

Jarod: Yes?

Miss P: could you stop with the sunshine/star metaphor because it's getting old.

Jarod: of course. (a beat later) You know, our baby has your eyes. He's beautiful.

Miss P: He is isn't he? I hope he turns out like you and not like me.

Jarod: he will turn out like both of us.

Miss P: what makes you think that?

Jarod: It doesn't take a boy genius or a girl with inner sense psychic abilities to realize that. I think that because he will be raised by both of us, together, on the same side.

Miss P: I like the sound of that. The Centre will never leave us alone.

Jarod: Don't let them rain on our parade.

Miss P: ughhh...if you break out into "You are my Sunshine" I am pulling this car over.

Jarod: You know its definitely true.

Miss P: what is?

Jarod: (grabbing Miss P's hand and kissing it) girls do mature faster than boys.

Miss P: yes they do. (eyeing Jarod making baby faces at the baby boy)

Jarod: , thanks for trusting me and joining my team.

Miss P: I had no choice, Jarod. I had to.

Jarod: why is that?

Miss P: yours is the winning team, I hate to lose.

Jarod: I missed you.

Miss P: obviously.

Jarod: did I call you too much? Did I seem pushy?

Miss P: no not at all. I couldn't tell that you missed me.

Jarod: oh could you tell that I loved you?

Miss P: No. But I wasn't looking for that remember? But I could tell that I loved you.

Jarod: , I love you and I love our son...he is just too cute! (he kisses him and then he kisses her causing her to nearly wreck)

Miss P: Jarod!

***

One Month Later..
Miss Parker's Place:

Miss P: (answering her phone) hello?

Sydney: miss parker?

Miss P: yes?

Sydney: I was just calling to see if I could come see the baby.

Miss P: of course. Jarod is here too, so you can see him too.

Syd: that would be wonderful. Broots wants to come too.

Miss P: fine. He can come too.

(they hang up and Jarod enters the room)

Jarod: you know I am glad that Mr. Raines finally told you who your real father was.

Miss P: yeah. I guess he was so happy to hear that we had foiled Mr. Parker's power plan that he was nothing but joyed to assist me and give me the answer to my question about my father.

Jarod: You know after all that has happened over the last month there is still one unanswered question.

Miss P: there is?

Jarod: yes there is.

Miss P: ok and that question is...

Jarod: (grabbing a leather box from his pocket, he bends to one knee) I've never done this before not even in a pretend, so bear with me. , I love you as much today as I did when we were children. I have never loved anyone the way that I love you. We already share a child, why not share our lives together forever? We can have more children...preferably ones that we make on our own... with no Centre assistance. (they both grin)

Miss P: well with a beautiful speech like that how can a girl refuse? Yes, Jarod! I love you so very much! (they kiss as the doorbell rings)(Miss Parker opens the door and its Syd and Broots. She can't wait and so she shows them the ring that is now on her finger)

Broots: wow Syd. This has been some month, first you find out that you are a dad, a granddad and now you are to be a father in law.

Syd: it is a bit overwhelming. (he looks at Parker, Jarod, and their son standing together happily) I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world though. It feels good to have a family Broots. I have been around those two kids all their lives and I never dreamed that I would be their father and father in law. Strange how life works out huh?

Broots: yeah. Strange. I just hope that Mr. Parker and Mr. Lyle don't get out of Africa anytime soon to spoil this.

Syd: Raines would never let that happen. He's happy as long as he has the control and power. I think that things will be just fine, Broots.(he glances at the happy family once more and makes a decision)

Syd: excuse me everyone. I would like to make a toast to my family. I was just telling Broots how strange life is. Jarod you were like a son to me all those years, but I couldn't allow myself to get to close to you. And Miss Parker, you were always like a daughter to me. You were such a bright young girl. I liked that Jarod felt he could confide in you. I knew that you and he would make good friends that is why I pushed Mr. Parker into letting you two meet. Then over the years, Mr. Parker changed Miss Parker and I didn't like it. As I stand here today I am proud to say that I know you both and that you are my family. , you are so beautiful, just like your mother. I only wish I had known earlier that you were mine. And Jarod, I am so happy to learn that you will be my son in law. I could think of no one better. And my dear grandson. He is a gem. I knew you too would find each other again one day. I never had a doubt. I just hope that you too never doubt it either. To family and the love that holds it together.

Jarod: I would like to make a toast too. (he grins at Miss Parker) to the woman I love. The best thing to ever happen to me. To sunshine. (she laughs and punches him. They kiss and the baby pulls at their shirt sleeves. They are oblivious so Syd and Broots pick up the child and go into the play room with him, leaving the two love birds alone.)

The End