Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

So it's been about 6 years since I've had time to sit down and write anything for fanfiction. So forgive me if this seems a bit rusty. Would love to know what you think. Thanks



  Title:  Dark side of the Moon

Author: aldysgal aka Tiffany

Rating: NC18

Keywords: Miss Parker/ Jarod /Sydney/Broots/ Alex/ Angelo/ Lyle

Warning: Violence, Adult Content, Language, Character death  And Sexual Content

Timeline: Post Island of the Haunted

Disclaimer: The Characters within this story belong to the Television series The Pretender. I don't own them, and I do not receive any monetary payments for this work. They belong to Steve, Craig, NBC and TNT. I am simply borrowing them to tell you a story and I promise to return them when I am finished with them.

Summery: Jarod’s hunt for a serial killer takes a devastating turn, when Miss Parker becomes the prey. Will Jarod be able to overcome his fears in time to unravel the clues and stop a madman seeking the ultimate revenge against him?

Chapter 1

It was a beautiful spring afternoon; the trees had just begun to sprout their first tiny cherry blossoms. A small, warm breeze carried their sweet scent and the promise that winter had passed at last, leaving heavy jackets and snow shovels to dark closets and rusty hooks. Jarod wandered through the woods, his mind far from the promises of beauty around him. It had been weeks since he’d paid much attention to anything but his current pretend. Even his cat and mouse game with Miss Parker had been given a well-deserved rest. The Centre itself had taken a backseat; His mind was engrossed with far more important things for the moment.

It was early February when he’d first picked up the newspaper that had brought him north to the intimate coastal towns of the northeast coastline. There he had found the deep soulful eyes of Sophia Logan the second victim of what Jarod could only describe as a madman. There was just something about her that drew him to her case; he himself could scarcely explain it. Within a week, he had infiltrated the case as an FBI profiler and immediately begun a series of exhausting simulations. He had spent countless hours mulling over the case file, but the answers still eluded him.

Today was their fifth and final day to comb their fifth and most recent crime scene before the yellow tape came down and allowed the world to trample through it once again, and he was quite certain they would. The case had been high profile, top priority on every News station in the North East. Jarod and his team had investigated every call that had come in but few resulted in any real leads. Most were just weekend heroes hoping to get their faces on TV for their fifteen minutes of fame.   Not to mention the fact that they had been sent on their fair share of wild goose chases by the town’s resident loons who were seemingly growing in number by the day.

The forensic teams had already sworn they’d gone over the entire area with a fine tooth comb and had collected enough dirt and soil samples to plant a nice size garden in the lab once they had closed the investigation but Jarod had insisted they take one last look, that nagging feeling they’d overlooked something hanging heavy on his mind. His team had reluctantly agreed and the lot of them had showed up promptly at seven in the morning, groggy eyed and cups of steaming coffee in hand.

Jarod poked at the mossy, soft ground along a trickling streams edge as he maneuvered closer to the water. He wasn’t sure what he was looking for, but still felt strongly no area should be left untouched.  He had combed every crime scene the same way but still had little to go on. He was only sure of a few signature characteristics of what could only be described as a serial killer. He knew that it was a male and presumed he ranged in age from 25 to 45. He seemed to have a thing for brunettes as each victim had dark hair. He seemed to be what some agents had called a collector, as each victim was a different age and profession. He understood that he had kept each victim about 2 weeks although the current victim Ellie Watson had been kept almost 3.

Moving a few large rocks near the embankment where the body had been discovered, Jarod looked for anything that might lead him to this madman who had disrupted so many lives including his own.  His work was further inhibited by the fact that he knew they didn’t have much time before he took another woman, a day, maybe two.  The faces of each of the five women he had already been unable to save flashed though his mind, sending his stomach into knots and bringing back the waves of nausea he had only just a few hours ago managed to get passed

Hours passed quickly and soon the sun was descending in the sky. Jarod said goodnight to the other agents and headed back to his hotel. It had been a fruitless, exhausting day and he was tired. After a long hot shower, he settled down on the bed and pulled out the files from each case. He’d looked at the evidence a hundred times in the last few months, but he couldn’t help himself he was sure there was something he was missing.

The next thing he knew it was two in the morning. He pushed the paperwork off his lap and stood up to stretch. Glancing at the clock, He thought for a minute before picking up the phone. He knew it was late, he knew his call would probably wake her from sleep but he couldn’t help himself. He needed to hear her voice, needed to know that she was still out there. His anticipation grew as the phone rang.

What?” a voice growled groggily into the receiver.

 He smiled hearing the sleepy irritation in her voice, for there was always comfort in the familiar. He walked over the to window his eyes directed toward the dark night sky.  He remained silent for a moment. “Did I wake you?”

Damn it Jarod, it’s the middle of the night.” Miss Parker grumbled as she sat up in bed grabbing the alarm clock from the nightstand

Technically it’s morning.” He stated simply, as he settled down into the chair next to the window.

What the hell do you want?” She grumbled.

Do you think people are really all bad or all good?” He asked quietly ignoring her question.

I think you have mistaken my number for Fraud’s. But if you really feel the need to discuss it with him I could come get you. Why don’t you just tell me where you are and I’ll be right there.” She quipped sarcastically.

Cute, not funny, but cute.” Jarod snipped aggravated. “Seriously Parker I want to know what you think.”

I grew up in the Centre, Jarod, What the hell do you think?”

If you believe that they are evil, why do you stay?” He asked.

I’m not having this conversation with you Jarod.” Miss Parker spat angrily. “We’ve been down this road more times than I care to remember and I’m in no mood to go down it again tonight.”

Just remember, Miss Parker, that some roads have turning points, if you don’t keep your eyes and your heart open you just might miss them.”

And some roads are just a dead end, Jarod, no matter how much you wish they weren’t.” she said softly.

Wish for something long enough, and you just might find it.”

I hope your right.” She whispered in reply.

Sweet Dreams Miss Parker.” He whispered and hung up the phone. He glanced over at the files on his bed again. What was it he was missing?

He sighed and looked back towards the sky.  A smile spreading across his face as he realized that he almost missed the game, almost. He looked back towards the clock, it was nearly three now and the days events were beginning to catch up with him. He yawned widely and rubbed his eyes. He looked back at the pile of papers on the bed. Then with one swoop of his hand gathered them up and shoved them into the brief case on the table. It was late and sleep as minimal as it would now be was necessary.

Three hours later the radio blared a country song. Jarod rolled over slamming his hand down on the snooze button to silence the howling tune. He lay with his eyes open starring at the ceiling wondering if sleep would ever come in longer spurts than this. Sighing heavily, he pushed himself out of bed and headed for the window.  It had become an essential part of his routine in these past few years to check for black sedans or high-heeled hunters. Finding neither, he moved towards the phone and checked to see if anyone had inquired about him at the front desk.  Again he was pleased to hear he was in the clear. He ordered up room service and headed to the bathroom for another shower and a quick shave.

He was walking into the police station at seven sharp. He stopped at the front desk, said hello to the Officer, asked if anyone had left any messages for him, then took the pile of post it notes handed to him and headed for the office he had been given to use. Moving around the desk, he sat down and promptly began to go through the pile.

Good morning Agent Thomas.” A tall slender man in his mid thirties said as he entered the room.

Jarod looked up to see Detective Rick Andrews. He smiled and then directed his attention back to his pile of messages.

I stopped for coffee this morning. Drink too much of the stuff in this place it’s liable to kill you. Starbucks on the other hand.” Detective Andrews said with a smile, handing Jarod a cup. “Well let’s just say it’s a hell of a lot tastier way to die. I got you a double chocolate latte. I know you’re not a big fan of coffee but you have to at least take a sip.”

A double chocolate what?” Jarod said, removing the protective lid.

Latte. Trust me, you’re gonna love it.” Detective Andrews said with smile.

Thank you.” Jarod said with a grin and took a sip from the cup. “Wow this is magnificent.  This is coffee? I mean that’s hard to believe it tastes like hot chocolate.”

Yep it’s coffee, designer coffee I guess you could say. Starbucks is the new Vera Wang.”

Who?” Jarod asked confused.

Never mind. I’ve been spending way to much time with my girlfriend that’s all.” Detective Andrew said blushing slightly of embarrassment.

How is Elizabeth?” Jarod asked downing almost half of his latte in one gulp.

Too be honest, she’s scared to death. I mean with a madman on the loose you can scarcely blame her. She’s been staying at my place since the third body turned up, all but moved herself in now.”

I thought your shirts had a woman’s touch lately.” A short round woman stated, as she entered the room.

Good morning Lois, Didn’t see you come in.” Detective Andrews said.

Jarod you have a call on line one, said he has some information about the case but said he would only talk to you. You want to take it or you want me to get a number?” Lois asked.

Did he say who he was?” Jarod asked, a little nervous that perhaps Lyle or Raines had finally tracked him down.

Nope just asked to speak with you like I said.”

You want me to take it. I mean it’s not like he knows who’s who in this place.” Andrews said reaching for the phone.

No. I’d better take it myself.  If he asked for me then he might know me and if he does have information we don’t want to scare him off.” Jarod said quickly pulling the phone toward him.  “Hello this is Agent Thomas.” He said picking up the receiver.

Want to play a game Agent Thomas?” A muffled voice asked.

Who are you?” Jarod asked turning to look out the glass windows that separated his office from the rest of the station.

Ring around the rosy, a pocket full of poesies. Ashes, Ashes they always fall down.”

Who is this?” Jarod asked his eyes nervously darting around the station for any sign of sweepers. “What do you want?”

Catch me, catch me if you can or I’ll kill her too and you know I can.” With that the line went dead.

Kill who?” Jarod asked confused. “Damn it” He yelled slamming the phone back down on it’s cradle. “He hung up.”

Who was it? What’s going on?” Andrews asked he too looking confused.

He’s already got another woman.” Jarod growled irritated with the entire situation.

Who? Who’s got another woman? Agent Thomas, what the hell is going on here?” Andrews asked.

I want you to call the entire team in Andrews. I’ll explain everything later. I want to brief you all at once.”

That was him?” Andrews asked shocked.

I told you I’ll brief you all at the same time. We’re running out of time Detective Andrews now please gather the others. He’s got another victim and the clock is ticking.” Jarod ordered opening the door and rushing the detective out.

Once all the other’s member of the team arrived Jarod quickly briefed them on the content of his conversation. It wasn’t long before they discovered that there had been a missing person’s report filed in the small town of Mystic, Connecticut in the early hours of morning.

A twenty-five year old woman had been reported missing by her sister when she had failed to show up for work at the family’s business. When they had gone to see where she was, they had found her car in the driveway of her home with the keys in the ignition and her purse on the passenger seat.

The morning went by in a blur, as Jarod gave orders and made arrangements to fly down to Mystic himself. He wanted to talk to the police chief there and to have a look around.  Still as busy as he was, he just couldn’t keep the phone conversation out of his head. He needed to talk to Sydney, to get his opinion, he decided as he headed to his car in the parking lot.

The afternoon air was crisp and blustery. Jarod’s senses were overwhelmed by the pungent scent of saltwater and fish, as he drove down the coast. His mind was reeling as he went over all the facts in his head for the hundred thousandth time. He had picked up the phone several times to call Sydney but worried about being able to get a secure connection while driving along the coast line. Slipping his phone back into his suit jacket’s pocket, he decided to wait until the evening to try again.

The next few hours went as he had expected. Interviews with the Mystic police offered him few leads, although he was sure that there were a few things they we’re holding back on. He was use to such mannerisms when it came to small town law enforcement, but it was still frustrating. He knew that they were resentful that he was there as if pulling in a member of the government law enforcement meant that they were not doing their jobs or something. But time was ticking away and he was not about to lose another woman to this madman.

It didn’t take long before the police chief was showing him to an office he could use during his investigation. Once he had acquainted himself with a few of the officers on duty, Jarod asked around about hotel accommodations.  One of the officers had mentioned a few B&B’s that were within walking distance of the station. Thanking the officer, Jarod gathered his files and headed out the door.

The sun was just beginning it’s decent in the sky; Jarod could not help but stop and take notice of the beautiful shades of red and lavender that were painted across the sky. All the years locked away in the Centre had given him a greater appreciation for the little things; if he could say anything good about the place it was that.

Pushing thoughts of the Centre from his mind, Jarod made his way into the lobby of the first B&B he’d come to.  A woman in her late sixties was moving around the room with a dust mop, and for a moment Jarod hesitated not wanting to disturb her.

Turning to find Jarod behind her the woman let out a small yep of surprise and placed her hand over her chest.

I’m sorry,” Jarod said quickly. “I didn’t mean to startle you.”

Quiet thing you are,” The woman teased and moved to stand behind the counter. “You must be that Fed came to town this morning.”

Guilty,” Jarod said holding out his hand. “Jarod Thomas.”

Eloise Baker.” Eloise said taking his hand shaking it. “New to the FBI are you?”

What makes you say that?” Jarod asked perplexed.

Too Polite and far to quiet. Most of your co-workers stormed in here like hell on wheels demanding a room like this is a Motel 6 or something. Like I got an empty house just waiting for them to breeze into town when the mood fancies them.  Makes me wonder if their mamas ever taught them a thing.”

Jarod laughed.

I’d expect you’d be needing a room?” Eloise asked

If you have one available.”

Well just so happens I do. Had a young couple check out just this afternoon. They were supposed to stay the week but when they heard bout that girl going missing, it clean near run them off. How long will you be staying?”

I’m not sure to be honest.”

Well I’ll put you down for the week then. If you need to leave sooner ain’t no bother and if you need to stay longer we’ll cross that bridge then. Now the dinning room is open from 6am to 9am for breakfast, it reopens at 11 am for lunch and it’ll be open till 2pm then we open again for supper around 5pm till about 8pm. We can do room service but we’ll need to know ahead of time. You’re in the Harbor suit it’s just up the stairs and to the right. Got a nice view of the harbor.” She explained as she handed him the room key.

Thank you.” Jarod took the key and picked up his duffle bag.

You hungry?” Eloise said suddenly. “Cuz Ian will be closing the kitchen down in about 30 minutes and if you are I can put in your order before he does and have it sent up.”

That would be lovely.”

What would you like?” She asked handing him a small menu.

I’ll have the special.” Jarod said handing the menu back and turning to climb the stairs.

When he reached his room, Jarod’s eyes darted around the hallway to find any and all exits and entrances just in case he had to make a break for it before he was ready.  Opening his door, he found himself in a cozy room with seaside décor. There was a large bed doused with a thick navy comforter that had been turned down slightly to show the silky white sheets. In the corner of the room was a small table with two over stuffed large chairs. A fireplace adorned the wall across from the bed and there was a small love seat that sat caddy corner to it with a beautiful throw blanket draped across it’s back. Two large windows were across from him, he moved over to look out them briefly and was pleasantly surprised at the view of the street in front of the house and the harbor just across the way.

Placing his duffle bag on the bed, Jarod moved to sit at the table. Pulling out his briefcase, he once again began to go over the files he had recently acquired on Kassy Fairbanks, the young girl who was currently missing. A knock at the door startled him. Taking a quick glance out the window to check for Centre personal, he moved to answer it.

Your supper Agent Thomas.” Eloise said moving into the room with a large covered silver tray.

Jarod moved quickly around her to clear the table.

Careful now everything is pretty hot.” Eloise said placing the tray down and moving back towards the door. “You need anything else just give me a holler. I’ll be up and around till ten then we have Shane, my oldest, works the desk on the nightshift.”

Thanks again.” Jarod offered a smile as he held the door open for her. “I’ll be just fine.”

Well we’re here just the same. You have a good night Agent Thomas.”

You too Mrs. Baker.”

Once he had finished his dinner and placed his tray out in the hall, Jarod got back to work on the files he had been working on. Glancing over at the clock, he was surprised to see that it was already a quarter till midnight. He gave a heavy sigh and looked down at his cell phone that lay on the bed. It was probably too late to call Sydney, he thought but picked up his phone anyway and scrolled through his phone book.  He peeked at the clock again and snapped the phone closed.

Standing up, he stretched and yawned before moving over to look out the window. The world outside was still. The dark night sky was sprinkled with glistening stars.  Out in the distance, he could see a few boats scattered along the horizon, their sterns illuminated by the bright light of the moon reflected on the water. He wondered who occupied them for a fleeting moment, then turned back to face the loneliness of his room once more.

Tossing all his files back in his briefcase, Jarod moved it back onto the table before sitting down on the bed and kicking off his shoes. Pulling his feet up onto the bed, he laid back against the soft wall of pillows behind him and stared at the ceiling. He was tired but too tired to sleep and although he tried, he could think of nothing else but Miss Parker. This of course came as no surprise to him but he never could get use it. For the first few years it had been easier to distract himself, but since their time on the island it had grown far more difficult. During the day it was rarely a problem and he supposed that was because he was busy, surround by others to occupy his time, but when night came forgetting her was nearly impossible.

Glancing at the clock for the twentieth time in an hour, Jarod picked up his cell phone once again and pushed one on speed dial. His heart pounded as he waited for the grumpy voice on the end to answer.

Jarod!” Miss Parker growled sleepily.

How do you know it’s me?” He teased, his loneliness disappearing instantly at the sound of her voice.

Because no one else it stupid enough to call at two in the morning.” She snipped, as she pulled herself up in bed and glanced at the clock next to her. “What the hell is so important that you need to call in the middle of the night?”

I was just thinking about that time we snuck up on the roof. Do you remember?”

Miss Parker was quiet for a moment as the image came to her, flooding her senses.

Yeah, you were terrified that daddy would find us.” She said softly.

But you insisted anyway because you needed to learn the constellations so that your father would give you the gift he’d brought back from his trip.”

It was a wooden music box engraved with stars.” She said absently, spying the treasure on her dresser a few feet away.

We stayed up there for hours. You insisted that you had to have it perfect. We must have fallen asleep, it was nearly dawn when Sydney found us.” Jarod said softly.

The image of her younger self  lying in Jarod’s arms flooded her mind, and a single tear escaped rolling down her check.  “ That was a long time ago.”

Not so long that we can’t remember, Miss Parker.” Jarod interjected, as he felt the sting of the ice queen emerging.

What do you want, Jarod?” She asked exhausted.

Freedom . . . . for both of us.” Jarod said quietly.

You know that’s not possible.” She offered quietly in return.

Anything is possible if you believe in it.”

Jarod.” She began but was interrupted.

Sweet dreams Miss Parker.” With that Jarod snapped his phone shut and placed it on the nightstand beside the bed.  He went to the window once last time to check for black sedans and Centre henchmen. When he was sure he was as alone as he felt, he moved back over to the bed and crawled under the covers. Soon he was fast asleep.

******

Miss Parker on the other hand was wide-awake and highly annoyed. Slipping from the warmth of her bed, she grabbed her robe and headed downstairs.  Yawning, she made her way into the kitchen, grabbed the teakettle, filled it with water and placed it on the stove. Twenty minutes later, she took her steaming cup of raspberry tea and headed to the living room couch.

The next few hours were spent just as she assumed Jarod had wanted, remembering the past. It wasn’t something she had allowed very often or wanted to do for that matter, but it was something she could never control after speaking with Jarod. He had an impeccable way of pulling her deepest thoughts from the darkest corners of her mind. In the beginning, she had resented him for having such power over her, but in time she had realized that it was a gift only he could give her. All those delicate emotion filled moments her father and the Centre had tried to eradicate with their lies and deceptions could be recovered and embraced. It was wondrous and terrifying in the same moment.

Snuggling deep inside a blanket, she closed her eyes and allowed the visions of the past to overcome her. Twinkling stars speckled across a dark spring sky drifted into place in her tired mind. She could almost feel the chill in the air and absently pulled her blanket a bit closer around her. She could smell the sea air tinged with the sweetness of spring flowers just beginning to bloom. Her heart pounded as she remembered the anxiety of that night and her fear of getting caught on the rooftop. Then it came softly, quietly, as it always did, even back then, the calm. She never understood what it was about his eyes, those deep, chocolate brown eyes, that seemed to bring with them warmth and comfort. There they were two children snuggled next to one another, their eyes turned toward the heavens, dreaming of freedom.

Sleep came unknowingly as she lost herself in the memory of that night and all the possibilities it had once held for both of them.

*********

The next few weeks past by in a blur as Jarod and his team combed the area for clues to what happened to Kassy Fairbanks. He’d become obsessed with finding her alive and had driven most of his co-workers to exhaustion with late nights and early mornings.  Taunting fueled his eagerness, mocking phone calls that promised them a body would surface soon.

It was early morning on the seventeenth day of her disappearance that the killer’s promise had come to pass, and the body of Kassy Fairbanks was discovered washed up on the shores of the harbor.  It was a local fisherman who’d discovered her lying entangled in seaweed under the peer. Jarod had been the first on the scene, his grief and despair over his failure to save her overwhelming. The remainder of the day had gone by in a haze of forensic scientists and local officers. His stomach twisted into knots as he spoke with family members, who fell sobbing to the ground at his feet. He offered the only comfort he could and made the promise that he would find the person who had done this and bring them to justice.

He arrived back at his room around eleven to find Eloise waiting up in the lobby. He could tell by the look on her face that she had heard the news, and the sinking feeling of failure grew in his belly once again

Nothing you could have done to save her.” Eloise offered as she stood to face him.

Some people are just evil. Nothing anybody can do about it.”

I should have done more.” Jarod said sorrowfully, as he sat down on a near by chair.

You aren’t gonna last long with the feds you start thinking that way.” Eloise said as she moved toward him with a large mug. “Here drink this.” She offered the mug. “Just a bit of tea, but it’s good for calming the nerves.”

Jarod’s mind floated back to the Island and to Ocee, a small tear escaped his eye tumbling down his check, another life he hadn’t been able to save.

You best get upstairs and get some rest. I told Ian to save you some supper. I’ll have Shane bring it up once it’s warm.” Eloise directed him towards the stairs.

Thank-you. You’re very kind.” Jarod spoke softly, as he climbed the stairs.

The room that had once been so welcoming now seemed cold and impersonal. Jarod moved slowly towards the window and pulled down the blinds. He couldn’t bear to look at the harbor a second longer.  His stomach twisted again as another wave of nausea hit. He sat down on the bed’s edge and at last the tears he’d been holding in all day came. Tears of anger and frustration ran in hot streams down his face, all he could think of was his failure to save Kassy Fairbanks and the unsettling knowledge that now that she was dead another woman was in grave danger.

Drying his eyes, Jarod pushed himself to his feet and moved back over to the windows. With a jerk of his hands, the harbor was before him once again.  He stood for a long time just staring out at the water, as if a clue of some kind would just suddenly reveal itself to him. His mind was reeling, what was it he was missing. Hours passed, as Jarod watched boats slowly pass in and out of the harbor, none of them anymore conspicuous than the other. 

Exhausted, he moved away from the window and sank down on the bed. Glancing at the clock, he pulled his cell phone from his pocket and studied it. It was nearly 3 in the morning, he knew his need to hear her voice was irrational, Sydney might even have called it insatiable, but he didn’t care. He felt lost and there was something about her voice that always seemed like home. A moment later the phone was ringing, his heart pounding with unexpected anticipation.

What?” Miss Parker growled groggy with sleep.

He released a breath, he hadn’t even been aware he’d been holding. Her voice, even in irritation, was like a lullaby soothing his savaged soul.  He listened quietly for a moment to the sound of her breathing, trying to think of some witty comment that would keep her attention for as long as possible.  It had been an exasperating day and he needed some semblance of normalcy, some small token of the familiar.

Do you ever wonder what our lives might have been like if your father hadn’t shown up on Carthis?” he asked.

It’s the middle of the damn night, Jarod,” she grumbled, as she pushed herself up in bed, looking at the clock. “Ever heard of sleeping?”

Sleep is one of the simple pleasures, I don’t often get to indulge in.” He replied truthfully, lying back and studying the ceiling.

Great, You get insomnia and I’m the one losing sleep.” She retorted with a half-hearted laugh.

You didn’t answer my question.” He reminded her, as he kicked his shoes off and scooted his head towards the pillows.

I’ve never really been a ‘what if’ kind of girl.”

So you never think about it?” he asked, as he reached over and flicked off his light.

I learned a long time ago that dreaming about what might have been is pointless. You can’t change the past Jarod.” She answered, her voice full of sadness.

But you CAN change the future, Miss Parker,” Jarod retorted, stifling a yawn and closing his eyes.

Our mothers believed that and look where it got them. Mine’s… dead and the yours is running for her life.”

Our mothers believed that the key to the future was to look at the past. Maybe you’re right Miss Parker maybe we can’t change the past but maybe we can learn from it.”

If what we know about the past is real.”

Second guessing your history again?”

Always.” She whispered.

Then maybe you should concentrate on the things you know for yourself were real.”

Like?”

Like that little girl who gave me my first kiss.” He whispered.

She doesn’t exist anymore.”

Just because you pretend she doesn’t exist doesn’t mean she’s gone, Miss Parker. Maybe someday you’ll realize that she’s been inside you all along, that you’re still her. Maybe it’s HER freedom that will save us.”

What’s that suppose to mean?”

You’ll figure it out. I did. Sweet dreams, Miss Parker.” He snapped his phone closed before she could respond, closing his eyes he allowed the echo of a memory to lull him to sleep.

Releasing a heavy sigh, Miss Parker snapped her phone closed and slid out of bed. There was a part of her, however small it may be, that almost enjoyed these late night interruptions of sleep, a fact she would admit to no one, not even herself when she could help it. Moving over to her window, she looked out into the still spring night, some small part of her hoping she might catch a glimpse of him hiding in the shadows.

If she had allowed herself the luxury of truth, she would have to say she missed him, missed his little idiosyncrasies, his unwelcome insights into her heart and mind. It had been nearly three months, since he had bothered himself with leaving them breadcrumbs as to his whereabouts.  Sydney had insisted it was most likely Jarod’s way of expressing his anguish over the near miss with his mother. He had rationalized that Jarod’s need to find his family would be stronger than ever after he had come so close to being captured and returned to the Centre. But Miss Parker couldn’t dismiss the nagging feeling in her gut, that something else was keeping him occupied.

She hadn’t bothered to share these late night conversations with Sydney, and a small part of her felt guilty for it. She knew what the pretender meant to him and that the doctor was growing more and more distressed at Jarod’s persistent absence, but she still couldn’t bring herself to tell him that Jarod had been calling regularly since Carthis. In fact, she hadn’t bothered to share much about what had occurred on Carthis at all. Even when Sydney had out right asked about their time there, she had somehow managed to elude answering.

Yawning, she retreated from her perch on the window seat and moved back towards the bed. Sleep was unrelenting with its request, as she felt the chaos of her day catching up to her. Closing her eyes, she couldn’t help but remember her time on the tiny Scotch Island, and all that had occurred there; family ties discovered, bonds of friendship uncovered, near kisses and unearthed feelings. Even she had to admit she was beginning to question her sanity, what with all the apparitions she seemed to be communicating with these days.  She contemplated for a moment asking Sydney to help her get a better handle on her abilities to communicate with the dead, but thought better of it, as she remember his response to her last request of assistance with paranormal abilities.  He had refused on a count of the danger his help had once thrust upon her mother. She knew the doctor had been well meaning in his refusal but it didn’t take the sting off the rejection. She had wanted to tell him that she wasn’t anything like her mother, but some small part of her still held a fleeting hope that maybe she was. Besides, she had kept her eerie ability to communicate with the dead to a chosen few so far and she would be damned if that little tidbit of information was going to get out. The last thing she needed right now was Raines or Lyle questioning her sanity, much less her abilities to catch and return the allusive pretender. Not to mention the unsettling feeling she had, that if anyone at the Centre knew what she could do, she might just find herself on the other end of the hunt.

Damn it Jarod.’ She growled as she tried to clear her mind and find sleep.

***********************

Morning came and Jarod found himself falling right back into his new familiar routine, checking for black sedans, sweepers, and unwelcome inquiries at the front desk, then it was off to his tiny closet, local law enforcement had called an office, in hopes that someone had made a case breaking discovery while he had been away.

Disappointment came in the form of another file on his desk, the coroner’s report of cause of death for Kassy Fairbanks. That unfamiliar feeling of failure resurfaced, as he opened the file to find the victim’s vacant and bloated face looking up at him. He skimmed the report, hoping to find some new tidbit about their allusive collector, which might give him a better insight into the mind of the madman. Even Jarod had had difficulties putting himself into the shoes of this particular criminal.

Well?” An older officer asked, as he perched himself on the edge of Jarod’s desk.

Every detail is the same as it’s been in the last five cases. Signs of bondage, Torture, blunt force trauma to the head, and these peculiar star shaped holes in the palms of the hands,” Jarod replied holding up a photograph to show him.

You think he’s got another Vic yet?” The officer asked, clearly uneasy at the idea of having anyone else from his town involved in the brutality he was sure this case would bring to light.

If he doesn’t, it won’t be long until he does.” Jarod quipped.

You got any idea’s what he’s looking for?”

Tall, Brunet, She’s probably independent maybe to the point she seems unapproachable. She’s mostly like confident in her ability to take care of herself, so she’s not cautious or skittish when he approaches. It’s how he gets close enough to knock them out. He likes the idea that he can snatch them so easily it makes him feel powerful. My best guess is that he watches them for a while, figures out any routine they may follow, maybe even gets close enough to feel her out.”

How is that?”

Probably makes a pass or offers to help her with something.” Jarod explained. “In truth if she concedes he’s probably uninterested. He doesn’t want the willing, the interested, it’s the thrill of having what is denied to him that gets him riled up.”

Any more phone calls?”

No, but I expect it won’t be long before he makes contact. Part of the fun for him is toying with us. He’s keeping the women longer now, most likely because he likes the game.”

"Sounds like you got this guy pretty well figured out.” The officer said.

Not so well that I can find him.” Jarod retorted sadly.

Don’t you worry Agent Thomas criminals always make mistakes and this one will too and when he does…we’ll be there waiting.”

I hope you’re right.”

*****

Miss Parker sashayed down the sidewalk, her six-inch heels clicking on the brick pathway beneath her, the swing of her hips almost hypnotic in their sway. She had gotten the call early that morning that Broots had a lead on Jarod, and spared no time in making her way down to Sydney’s office for the details. Now she and her team were in some god-forsaken small town where the highlight of the night was a clambake.  

If this turns out to be another one of Jarod’s wild goose chases I swear to god I’ll put a bullet in his ass. Honestly, Syd, what is your Monkey’s obsession with small towns anyway?” Miss Parker announced, as they made their way down the street towards the local police station.

I told you, we haven’t heard from Jarod, Miss Parker.” Sydney reminded her for the umpteenth time. “Mr. Broots thinks he saw a glimpse of Jarod on the news this morning.”

Seems unlikely that after all this time your labrat would be so careless.” Miss Parker retorted, looking around the small town with disgust.

I have to admit I was skeptical myself until I learned that the case that was being discussed was the sixth murder victim of what is thought to be a serial killer.” Sydney explained.

Someone giving Lyle a run for psychopath of the year?”

He’s murdered six woman in less than 3months and that’s just the one’s they’ve been able to tie him too.” Broots piped in.

Sounds like someone has mommy issues, but what the hell does Ted Bundy have to do with Jarod?” Miss Parker asked, growing more impatient as the smell of ocean tide filled the air.

Look at this! T- there! There he is!” Broots yelled excitedly, as he held up a newspaper article.

Miss Parker snatched the newspaper out of his hand and glared at him. “Just a newspaper, Broots, no reason to piddle in your pants.”

Scanning the article herself, Miss Parker read about the most recent victim of what the press was calling  “The quest of a madman”. It wasn’t until she saw the picture of the local police station that she knew that Broots might well be on to something. It was a photograph of a law enforcement press conference and standing in the back row with a few other men was the Pretender himself. The caption beneath the picture listed Jarod Thomas as the lead FBI profiler on the case.

Even you have to admit, Parker, that Jarod’s involvement in a case of this magnitude makes sense. It would also explain his absence these past few months.” Sydney said, as he leaned over to catch a glimpse of the article himself.

I guess Broots gets the gold star today then.” She quipped sarcastically, shoving the paper at Sydney and making her way toward the police station up ahead.

Thanks!” Broots squealed proudly his chest puffing ever so slightly. “I mean really I didn’t do anything other than what I always do which was watch the world news while I was making Debbie breakfast. I like to get a sense of what’s happening in the world. I mean it’s not like we get to see much of it ourselves being lock up all day in the Centre….”

Honestly Broots, do they ever shut-up on your planet?” She growled spinning on her heels and glaring at him.

I was mumbling again?” Broots asked his cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

Again? Do you ever stop?” Miss Parker retorted with a scowl.

Perhaps we should get going Miss Parker, if Jarod led us here he is probably planning on leaving soon or already gone.” Sydney interjected, motioning towards the police station.

My God what the hell is that smell?” Miss Parker asked wrinkling up her nose at the sudden influx of foal odor.

Dead fish.” Sydney answered with a small grin, pointing to an area not far away where fishermen where working at cleaning their catch.

Nice.” Miss Parker growled, as she pulled her ringing phone from her pocket. “What?”

Still looking for answers from Daddy, Miss Parker?” a voice growled on the other end.

Who is this?” Miss Parker spat, walking away from the others in an attempt for privacy.

Who I am is not important right now, what I know is. If you want answers Miss Parker you’ll come to Mystic, Connecticut. I’ll be on the west side pier at 10pm.”

And I should trust you… why?” she growled, her eyes scanning her surroundings for anyone suspicious.

Because Miss Parker, I know where all the bodies are buried and whose not…Oh and Miss Parker if you ever want to see Daddy again… you’ll come alone.” The voice warned before disconnecting.

Wait! Hello?” Miss Parker called desperately into the phone. “Damn it.” She grumbled snapping the phone closed.

Parker? Are you all right?” Sydney called, as he noticed the color drain from her cheeks.

Perfect…”She whispered looking down at the phone and running her hand through her hair.

Who was that?” Sydney asked coming to stand before her.

No one important. We should get moving before Lyle and the grim reaper figure out where we are and come running to one up us.” She replied, as she began moving towards the building again.

Are you sure you’re all right?” Sydney’s voice oozed concern.

Stop mothering, Sydney, it’s unbecoming. Broots!”

R -Right behind you.” Broots called nervously as he paid a saleswoman for a small package in his hand and came running up to join them.

*********

Jarod sat at his desk quietly reviewing the files in front of him for the hundredth time that morning. He was missing something, he could feel it but for the life of him he couldn’t figure out what it was. Sighing, he rubbed his eyes with the back of his hands hoping to refocus his mind, which had been wandering to thoughts of Miss Parker.

Looks like I got here just in the nick of time” Detective Andrews announced, as he entered the small office, holding up two steams cups. “Latte?”Thanks.” Jarod replied taking one of the steams cups and pressing it to his lips to take a sip.

Thank Liz,” Andrews smiled pointing to a small redhead standing out in the lobby chatting with an older policewoman. “She’s getting the low down on place for us to stay.”

I already booked you a room where I’m staying. It’s a little B&B on the harbor. Family owned. Eloise, the owner is waiting for us. Come on lets get you and Liz settled.”

You sure you want to come, you seemed pretty engrossed there. I wouldn’t want to take you away from anything important.” Andrews said, as he glanced back at the stack of files on Jarod’s desk.

Well unless you count pulling my hair out as important, you’re not pulling me away from anything.” Jarod smiled grimly, pulling on his coat.

Going that well is it?” Andrews teased, as he held the door open and followed Jarod out.

Hey Liz.” Jarod smiled, when they reached the lobby.

Jarod, It’s good to see you.” The tiny redhead bellowed, pulling him in for a hug.

Jarod found us a room at the B&B he’s staying at.” Andrews interjected. “We were just going to head over and get checked in.”

Lead the way. I could use a hot bath and a nap.” Liz replied, letting go of Jarod and grasping her boyfriend’s hand.

As they made their way over to Eloise’s, Jarod filled Detective Andrews and Liz in on what they had figured out so far.

Saw you on the news this morning by the way.” Andrews grinned. “Glad to see you finally overcame that stage fright.”

Spur of the moment decision.” Jarod replied, his thoughts suddenly floating back to earlier that morning when all he could think of was getting a little glimpse of the huntress he’d been missing. Knowing Broots watched the news every morning, Jarod had agreed to the interview with the sole hope of him seeing it and taking the news to Parker. At the time he hadn’t thought much about who else might get a glimpse of him and even now he didn’t much care.

Jarod? Jarod?” Andrews called for the fifth time.

What?”

Thinking about the tall, dark haired, goddess of yours?” Andrews teased.

What are you talking about?” Jarod asked suddenly very interested.

Give it up. You can’t keep her a secret anymore. Although I can understand why you wouldn’t want share her.” Andrews teased again. “You should have seen the boys when she sashayed into the office this morning. I think Peterson actually wet his pants.”

Parker was in Maine?” Jarod could feel his heart pounding in his chest.

If by “Parker” you mean that tall, long legged, beauty queen you have been keeping under wraps then yes.”

When? Where? How long ago?” Jarod asked, his heart inching up in his throat nervously.

Andrews couldn’t help but chuckle, “Relax Old boy. She showed up this afternoon around one I guess, her and two other guys, some old guy with an accent and a nervous little bald guy with a stutter. They asked to see you but Peterson told them that you weren’t working out of our station anymore.”

Did he tell them I was in Mystic?” Jarod’s throat felt like he hadn’t had a drink in days.

You know Peterson… All that beautiful woman had to do was bend over his desk and bat her eyelashes and he opened up like a damn after an explosion, information flowing out of him like wild water running free.” Andrews chuckled.

Jarod couldn’t help but smile a little at the thought of his huntress’s skills. “Peterson is lucky the eyelashes worked otherwise he might have been looking down the end of a 9mm.”

Well with legs like that, she defiantly didn’t need the gun. I bet Peterson’s still gawking at the door like some frat-boy who just went to his first strip bar.”

Parker does know how to leave an impression.” Jarod smiled thoughtfully.

I’d say that was an understatement.” Andrews laughed. “I use to fantasize about girls like her, not that I could ever land one. How long have you two known each other?”

Since we were kids.”

So you went to school together?”

In a sense, I guess you could say yes.”

Well I’d hold on to that one, not everyday a guy like us gets a girl like her.”

I’ll keep that in mind.” Jarod smiled. “ Has anyone else been in asking about me?”

Not that I know of but I left shortly after the brunette, to pick up Liz and make our way down here.”

Speaking of Liz, I’m sure she’s wondering what’s taking you so long. You better head up. I’ll see you later.” Jarod replied as he patted his friend on the back. “We can go over the Fairbanks file then.”

Okay, I’ll be in soon and we can get to work. Just want to make sure Liz feels safe before I head out.”

No problem, take all the time you need, I’ll be down at the station when you’re ready.” Jarod said pulling his cell phone from his pocket and heading out the door. Pressing one on his speed dial, he grinned as he walked back down the road towards the station.

What?” Miss Parker growled.

Did you enjoy your trip to Maine, Miss Parker?” Jarod asked.

Getting a little careless, Einstein? You know for a genius you’re an idiot. Popping up on the local news like some dimwitted small town sheriff looking for his fifteen minuets of fame, any one could have seen you. Are you trying to get yourself killed?” She retorted, as she fidgeted in her seat.

Be careful Miss Parker, You almost sound concerned for me.”

I can assure you Jarod my only concern is catching and returning you before Lyle. As you can imagine, that little TV debut you staged didn’t go unnoticed by baby brother.”

So Lyle was with you?” Jarod asked casually.

Nice try, but I’m not in the mood to play one of your games today, Jarod.”

This isn’t a game, Parker.” Jarod replied, the hurt in his voice evident.

So care to explain to me just what the hell you were thinking?”

Maybe… I just…  needed to see you.” Jarod whispered.

Jarod… “ Miss Parker whispered back, her eyes closing as her head fell back against the seat.

See you soon, Miss Parker” Jarod replied before he snapped his phone closed and headed back into his office to review his case files again.

******

Was that Jarod?” Sydney called from the opposite side of the plane’s small compartment.

Yes, looks like your little monster is back in the game.” She quipped, looking out the small window beside her seat.

What did he say? Is he all right?” Sydney asked, unable to hide the concern from his voice.

He’s your lab rat, Dr. Doolittle, you tell me. What is your little science experiment up to now?”

I imagine his momentary appearance was meant as a bread crumb for us. I can only imagine that his lack of contact has been as difficult for Jarod as it has been frustrating for us. He has never before gone so long without some kind of contact. He may be a genius Miss Parker, but he is also human. Perhaps he is lonely.”

We’re all lonely Syd, but you don’t see the rest of us advertising our whereabouts on local television.” She quipped.

Jarod strives for human connections. It is not uncommon that he would reach out to what is familiar to him. He seeks family, those close bonds he was denied as a child. I believe his constant contact with myself is his insatiable desire for a parent’s love and guidance. For all intensive purposes that has been my role in Jarod’s life, not a fact I am proud of but know is true.”

He was lucky to have you, Sydney. I can’t imagine what he may have become if he hadn’t.” she replied thoughtfully, thinking back to the other prodigies of the Centre.

Thank you, Miss Parker, but I am not the only who influenced Jarod, nor do I believe I am the only one he cares about.”

Meaning?” She asked, lifting her eyebrow at him.

Sydney looked over at Broots, who was still fast asleep, then looked again to Miss Parker. “I know it is not easy for you to admit, Parker, but you and Jarod share a unique connection. I have often wondered if over these past few years it’s more the reason he keeps in contact than my own.”

The only connection Jarod and I have is one of hunter and prey.” Miss Parker retorted.

I don’t believe that, and I don’t think you believe that it either.”

And why’s that?” she quipped.

Because I saw the look in your eyes when you came back from Carthis.” Sydney retorted.

Miss Parker remained silent as she processed what Sydney said. Just the mention of the small isle sent her back to that moment in front of the fire at Ocee’s house. She could still hear his voice, so soothing and reassuring as he comforted her. She could see the firelight reflected in his eyes, as they seemed to look right into her very soul. Closing her eyes, she sighed deeply and brought her fingertips to her lips as she remembered the warmth of his breath as they drew so near, and the disappointment that loomed from the kiss that was never allowed to be.

Although I am curious as to why now.” Sydney said breaking her thoughts.

Why now what?” Miss Parker asked confused, her eyes flying open to look at him.

Usually Jarod’s breadcrumbs come at the end of his pretend, a small offering to keep us included in his life and perhaps to keep us just a step behind, but according to all the newspaper and television reports I’ve seen, the police and FBI have no suspects in this case. It does seem odd that Jarod would want us so close on his trail while he’s still so engrossed in this pretend.”

Maybe your nut finally cracked.” Parker quipped, as her mind floated to her last conversation with the pretender. “Maybe I just needed to see you.” His words echoed in the back of her mind, he must have been losing it.

I am afraid it’s more that he is being ruled by his emotions. The near miss with his mother on Carthis, almost being captured and returned to the Center, and now working on a case where there are so many innocent lives that he’s been unable to save despite his abilities. I am concerned about his state of mind, Miss Parker. Jarod’s childlike qualities make him more apt to take dangerous risks; even a genius has the capability to feel untouchable, maybe even more so. When things get out of control, children often seek solitude in things that remind them of home.”

Jarod’s not a child anymore, Sydney, and I find it hard to believe he ever thought of the Centre as home.”

Not the Centre, Miss Parker… US.”

*************

Jarod stood in front of the large corkboard that was now hanging on the wall of his office. He had made a complex timeline with photos of all of the victims along with everything they knew or thought they knew about their allusive collector.

Been busy while I was away.” Detective Andrews quipped as he came into the small office.

I’m missing something.” Jarod said distracted as he studied the board again.

You’ve been studying those files for months Jarod, I find it hard to believe you’ve missed anything, but if it would make you feel better I’ll have another go at them.”

Agent Thomas you have a phone call, guy says he’s got information about the case.” A tall lanky detective called from the front desk.

Jarod looked at Detective Andrews and then reached over to his desk for the phone.

This is Agent Thomas.” Jarod said bring the phone to his ear.

Are we having fun yet?” A muffled voice quipped

"Who are you? Why are you doing this?” Jarod asked.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel. The monkey stopped because he got stumped… ‘I’ll her kill her soon” said the weasel.” The voice on line sang.

What do you want?” Jarod growled.

Tisk… Tisk… Tisk… If I told you, what fun would that be? A Hunting I will go, a hunting I will go. High- ho the dairy –o a hunting I will go. I’ll catch your pretty fox and put her in a box. High-ho the dairy-o a hunting I shall go.” With that the line went dead.

Frustrated, Jarod slammed the phone back down on its cradle.

Was that him?” Andrews questioned cautiously.

He’s looking for a new victim.” Jarod replied solemnly.

I’ll have Jenson run a missing persons search see if anyone shows up in the system.” Andrews announced as he scurried out of the room.

Lost, Jarod slumped down on his desk and pulled his cell phone from his pocket, he needed to talk with Sydney. He had a feeling that if anyone could help him comprehend the mind of a madman it would be his teacher.

Hello”

Hello Sydney.”

Jarod!” Sydney cried. “It’s been so long I’ve been worried. Is everything all right?”

I’m sorry I haven’t called, Sydney. I’ve been distracted.” Jarod replied.

I’ve noticed. Quite a case you’ve gotten involved in.”

Actually the case is the reason that I’m calling.”

You sound frustrated.”

I am. I keep feeling like I’m missing something. I’ve gone over and over the case files but I just can’t seem to find what it is I’m suppose to see.” Jarod explained. “What makes a man want to kill so many innocent women Sydney? What drives a man to take another’s life?”

That is an age old question Jarod. I suppose if we asked those who have fallen that far from grace they would supply us with a rather large array of reasons. People can be driven to do horrible things, Jarod, as you know. Money, greed, power, they are all aphrodisiacs to men. Simple wishes can lead men to commit heinous acts.”

Heinous acts for the sake of greed and power, sounds like something the Centre would be involved in.” Jarod spat disgusted.

So you think the Centre is involved?”

I honestly don’t know what to think. I’ve never been so unable to figure something out. I know that I am missing something, but the harder I try to see it the more it seems to allude me.”

Why don’t you share with me your thoughts on the case? Sometimes when we are so close to something we lose our objectivity. Personal involvement can cloud even the simplest judgment. Perhaps I can give you some insights that your too close to see clearly.”

Thank you Sydney.”

Jarod began telling Sydney everything he had come to understand about the elusive ‘Collector’.

To Be continued..................