Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Title: Exodus
Author: Jules
Rating: PG-15 for now
Disclaimer: Obviously, I don’t own any of the characters, no matter how much I WISH I did. They belong to the wonderful NBC and whomever own the rights to Pretender
Spoilers: I have no idea…um…after the third season at least! I kinda lost track of the years I’ve been watching!
Keywords: MPJR
Summary: Miss Parker discovers some disturbing things, and goes on the run.

Exodus
By Jules

Part 1
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Author’s notes: I am taking MAJOR liberties here, concerning the Pretender storyline and such, mostly because I have a horrible memory, and can’t remember some things! Sorry! But otherwise, the reason is, I make up my own rules here. That means, what I say goes. Why? Because it’s my universe and I can do whatever I damn well please with it…thank you. LOL
And that is all there is, there isn’t anymore. (I love Madeline, don’t you?) LOL!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx


** The Centre **
** Blue Cove, Delaware **


Miss Parker sat in her office alone, with the lights off, attempting to shut out the world. Her legs crossed, arms folded defensively, with one hand on her head, two fingers trying to relive the pressure in her temples as her mind struggled to process the life changing conversation she’d accidentally overhead.

How could it be true?

**Flashback**
**Mr. Parker’s Office
One hour prior


“Lyle, make sure you don’t screw this up. This information must stay buried forever, do you hear me? Your sister can never know that the baby Brigitte gave birth to is really the son of she and Jarod.”

“Of course Father. I’ll take care of everyone who knows right away.” Lyle promised, grinning evilly at the idea.

“I just wish that all the other embryos has been successfully implanted…That boy is ultimate pretender, and he will have been in our control since birth.”

“Yes father…”

** End of Flashback **


Miss Parker had been just about to walk in the door to update her father on her progress in her search for Jared, when she had heard the two men’s exchange. Her self-preservation instincts forced her to hurry out of the area once she’d understood what her father had said. How could he have done that to his own daughter and his own grandson? How could he possibly even plan to treat his own family that way? They were nothing more than objects to her father, just the means to an end.

That was how she’d ended up sitting alone in her darkened office, contemplating the situation, for the past hour. She’d run scenarios through her head over and over, and finally knew what she had to do. Her only option. There was nothing keeping her at the Centre anymore. No more irrational attachment to her daddy, no more trying to win her freedom, it would have never happened. She saw that now. The Centre would have never simply let her go, even if she had managed to capture Jarod. No, it was over, it was time to escape, the timing was perfect, no one at the Centre would dream she’d run now, not with her ‘freedom’ just one capture away. Not with so many more family attachments, ‘brothers’. It would be a completely unsuspected move.

But not without her son, her baby boy…no, she couldn’t contemplate what that meant right then. There was too much to do. When they were safe, she would take the time to think about what all this meant, but now was a time for action. Resolute, Miss Parker stood up and strode out of her office. Her father would not be allowed to control her life and destroy any chance of her happiness anymore.

She walked determinedly down to the Centre nursery, never letting even a hint of the turmoil that raged beneath the surface to show. Parker was the Ice Queen. The Centre’s peons jumped out of the deadly woman’s way. She calmly removed the baby from his nurse’s care, cautious not to give the impression of acting any differently towards him than she usually did.

“I’m taking him out for a walk.” She coolly informed the nurse, not even sparing the woman a second look.

The nurse nodded complacently. This was a common occurrence when Ms. Parker would visit the boy. She devotedly came down several times a week to take her brother out and spend time with him whenever she wasn’t out hunting for Jarod. The nurse thought it good for the child, so she eagerly allowed it without objection every time. The poor infant’s father hardly ever even came to visit his son for a few minutes at a time, and had never taken a walk with the little one.

Miss Parker gently put the baby in his carrier and walked out. As composedly as she could, the woman walked right out of the front doors of the Centre with their greatest creation, acting as if nothing in her world was wrong except for the idiots in her way.

She knew the possibility of bugs being in her clothes her, the baby’s, in his carrier, and in her car were high, so she remained quiet, not allowing herself the pleasure of ranting…or even taking the opportunity to speak to her son for the first time. She of course ‘talked’ to the baby before, but every ‘chat’ previously had been as a sister to a baby brother, trying to impart knowledge unto the baby on how to survive the Parker family. Which was why she said absolutely nothing at all. Not even to coo at her child. No, her first ‘conversation’ with her newly discovered son would not be tainted with the possibility that the bastards from the Centre could hear.

Parker strapped the carrier into her car, and immediately drove to the nearest baby store. She quickly stocked up on all the things she would need in the immediate future. It wasn’t the time for shopping for the pleasure of spoiling her first child. She just got the necessities: bottles, formula, diapers, diaper wipes, clothes, bibs, soaps, blankets, a couple toys, a diaper bag, a new carrier and stroller (the carrier snapped into and off of the stroller), and other essentials.

The lady at the register gave Parker an odd look at the plethora of supplies the professional woman had filled her carts with. She frowned for a minute then an idea dawned on the cashier, “Fostering your first?”
Parker froze in shock, then cursing herself for making such a stupid mistake as to get all her supplies in the same store, of course it was going to look strange to be buying all these supplies at the same time. Most of the things would have been bought before the baby came, and from that point on things gotten as needed. Buying everything at once, including a second carrier, would look odd and suspicious. But the naïve cashier had inadvertently given Parker a way out.

“Yeah, it was totally unexpected. This should get us through a few days though, right?”

“Oh yes. You’ll need to get more diapers pretty soon though. You’ll go through those faster than you can imagine.”

“Thanks.” Parker smiled, as she struggled not to freak out at the close call.

After escaping the now accursed store Parker took several deep breaths to calm her racing nerves as a clerk helped her pack her car. Once she was left alone, Parker changed her son’s clothes, dumped the old carrier, and then drove home.

Upon reaching her home, Parker raced into the house and to her bedroom. Placing the new carrier on her bed she rushed around and went about gathering her fake ID’s, the large stores of cash and travelers checks, which were under a name the Centre had no idea existed. Hurriedly she packed up the only things she owned of sentimental value, mostly the few trinkets she had left of her mothers, and of course Don Juan, the bunny Jarod had given her, whom she put in his traveling cage.

Some years ago Parker had hidden a Jeep in a concealed cave nearby in the off chance something ever happened at the Centre that would have endangered her, which meant she had a form of transportation she knew wasn’t bugged with listening or tracking devices. She transferred all the new purchases and her belongings into the vehicle then changed into the outfit she had hidden in there as well. Brown leather pants, a white shirt, a leather jacket and boots. Finally she pulled her hair up into a ponytail, because her son liked to pull hair.

Parker got choked up as she thought that, her son. Her baby boy. For the first time in her life, she had someone who depended upon her completely and loved her unquestioningly. She had always wanted a child, someone to love unconditionally like her mother had her; but working at the Centre had made it impossible, that was the reason she’d attempted to quit in the first place, for a chance at a normal life. But her desire of ever having a normal life, with a husband and children had died along with Thomas…but now it was like she was being given a second chance.

Attentively she checked on the boy, making sure he was comfortable, she could only assume he was, as he was still soundly asleep as he had been since he’d nodded off on the way from the store. She then checked to make sure the carrier was safely secured in the backseat, then softly closed the door behind her and climbed into the driver’s seat. As she shakily started the Jeep, one thought and one thought only raced through her brain, ‘Have to get away. Have to get my baby and I far from the Centre. Have to get away….’

Parker wasn’t completely sure what she was doing anymore. She had been acting purely upon instinct since having overhead her father that morning. And instinct meant getting far, far, FAR away. As far as she could, somewhere they couldn’t find her. Where they wouldn’t find her son. Somewhere safe, where those bastards would never interfere with her life ever again.


Lyle sat in his office, twirling a pen between his fingers, listening to the radio. Fervently praying in his heart, that there was something, anything, up there, that would hear him and could protect his sister and nephew right then.

He didn’t believe in God, after the childhood he’d had, how could he? But right then, he was desperate, and he wasn’t going to ignore any opportunity, it was better to be safe than sorry.


Parker cagily drove further and further away. Checking her mirrors her every few minutes, making sure no one was following her, because she knew they would. They’d be coming soon.

She let the soft gurgles of the baby boy she’d never known she had wash over her and fortify her determination.


Lyle had known the truth about the baby from the very beginning, that the child was his nephew, not his brother or even his son.

He had known that his twin was listening at the door during his ‘discussion’ with their father and that she would rescue the child from the life their amoral father had planned for it. How exactly he’d known she was there, he wasn’t sure, he’d just always been able to sense when she was near.

But that fact of his existence wasn’t important at the moment, all that matter was that his sister escaped this place. That she and her son managed to evade the evil that would soon be endeavoring to bring them back. And Lyle knew that if his twin was caught, she’d lose any allusion of freedom she’d been allowed previously. This time, she would be a Centre captive as well.


Parker’s stomach clenched as a bolt of fear rushed through her. She wasn’t sure what had caused the heart-stopping dread to fill her soul all of a sudden…


Lyle looked out the window, gazing out over the horizon and wished his sister could know what he was thinking, ‘Run Parker, run. The Centre knows you’re gone, so move it. Stay safe sister and protect your son.’


Parker was driving in silence when the soft voice whispered in her mind, startling her… it was LYLE! Her mind raced as her thoughts tumbled together in her brain, and she realized, his behavior, it was all just a giant pretend. He wasn’t the monster they all thought him to be…and that gave her hope. The Centre hadn’t broken him…but the joy she felt over the knowledge that her brother was still sane, was dampened by the fear that accompanied the message. They knew.




Chapter End Notes:
Please reply! Questions, comments, requests, or just tell me what ya think!