Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

"Is this a bad man?" He never was quite sure what was required of him, sometimes he wished that he had some warning, some time to prepare, gather his thoughts. Mr Raines would tell him that was irrelevant though, that his own feelings about anything only clouded his judgement.

"Very bad."

"What did he do?" Gemini asked, his curiosity piquing. There was something… familiar about this man, perhaps he had seen him before, worked for him. Gemini couldn’t remember him, and he had seen so few people aside from Mr Raines it wasn’t likely he would forget. Yet the feeling persisted, against all logic.

"This is the man who killed your parents."

The words slammed into his mind, sending ripples of alarm through his body. This was the man that killed his mother and father, the man that had condemned him to this life, this existence? Before his body even had time to respond to such devastating information, his mind had already half dismissed it, knowing deep down that somehow it was a lie. He could not accuse Mr Raines of lying though, that was beyond even his Pretender imagination. His mouth was already working though, trying to negate the lies he had just been told. 

"He doesn't seem like a killer. He seems sad Mr Raines. Like there's this void in his life that's depriving him of any true happiness. Perhaps loss of a loved one. Or the loss of family. Maybe he feels the same way I do... not knowing who he is or where he came from."

If he could lie about something like this, what else might he be lying about?

Reaching out, he touched the image, suppressing the small gasp of surprise at the tingle that ran through his fingertips, as if there had been some small electrical charge emanating from the image. Becoming more certain that he knew this man, despite the fact that he knew it was impossible. The feeling was so strong, almost overwhelming, and he could offer no explanation. There was no logic, no rationale, yet he was certain, despite the seeming ambivalence of his words to his teacher. 

"You're not concentrating. He's no different from any of the others."

The first half of that statement was true, his concentration had wandered as he became more and more convinced that this was … he didn’t know what it was. What he did know was that he was different from the others. This man was somehow the same as him. He struggled to articulate his feelings without seeming to appear deliberately belligerent.

"I don't know. I just....I feel I have a connection with him."

It was more than just a connection though, it went much deeper than that. Somehow he knew this man, this man knew him, knew of his loneliness, his aching need for things he didn’t even know existed, just that there had to be something more than this, what his life was now. Perhaps this man was like him. The more he looked into those eyes the more certain he became. Mr Raines did not want to hear it though, and clearly had his own agenda. He wanted him to hate this man. Maybe that was reason enough to feel that he could trust him, that this man would understand the feelings, all the things that Gemini himself didn’t understand. 

Would he have that same look in his eyes in 20 years, that same reflected pain and longing? Would he turn into this man, or was he already nothing more than a reflection of him?