Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the delay guys, between homework, study, exams and now christmas skins, the story completly slipped my mind. Sorry.

 


Sydney had just gotten back from another one of his trips, this time to Italy. Jarod really wished Sydney would allow him to go on the trips as well, Jarod could only imagine all the things he could see and learn. He had finished his mornings work, and was waiting for his midday meal when he spotted a drawing pad. Looking around, seeing Sydney was busy with his own things, Jarod carefully opened it and gasped softly at what he saw. The only thing Jarod could think was this was the most amazing thing he had ever seen in his life.

"What are you doing Jarod?" Sydney asked, trying not to smile at his reaction. He had been back only a few days and he knew Jarod was curious about the new acquisitions. The boy was quieter than usual and he wondered if Lyle had gotten to him during his absence. It had been hard for him to leave Jarod for so long, but it was something that the Duke had wanted and Sydney had been unable to refuse. Now that he was back, he was glad and the trip had certainly been productive. He knew the boy wanted to come but at this point that would not have been prudent. In his absence Jarod had performed his duties as scribe and apparently done very well.

Closing it shut quickly and hiding it behind his back, trying to hide form Sydney what he had done and seen, Jarod looked at Sydney with a guilty look over his face. "Nothing sir.” He whispered. Still some of Sydney's books were off limits to Jarod, and he knew never to touch them. But this sketch pad, Jarod hadn’t been so sure about and the whole time it has been sitting there taunting him, calling to him to look.

"What did you think of that nothing?" Sydney asked him, no reproach in his voice. He was actually quite eager to share this with Jarod. Very excited about what he had seen and learnt, he knew that Jarod would understand the way nobody else could.

Biting his lip, Jarod pulled the pad back out to the front of him, knowing he was caught. “It's amazing, nothing like I have seen before."

"Nothing like anybody has ever seen," Sydney said, moving to stand and look over his shoulder. “It is called the Vitruvian Man,” He said softly. "This is only a copy of course. Even still, it is an amazing drawing. It is the most amazing blend of art and science," Sydney said eagerly, eyeing the sketch off with something akin to hunger.

"The Man of Proportions.” He interpreted the name. “It's perfect." Jarod whispered, being able to see that all measurements were spot on just by looking. "The male is in proportion completely. No one has ever done this before. Never in all of history has such an accurate, true drawing of man been made."

“I believe not," Sydney nodded, agreeing with his assessment. He suspected Jarod was at least as good as this Italian, perhaps better and he wanted to prove it to himself. He had managed to get one original sketch, unfinished, of this Vitruvian Man, and a very good facsimile of the completed drawing and sketch. He was very excited to see what Jarod would make of it, as well as the other sketches he had brought back with him and notes, as well as new books. The duke was now obsessed with engines of war and Sydney had been sent abroad to gather information. He had no doubt that Jarod would have some ideas with respect to the new drawings and crazy designs Sydney had brought back with him.

Jarod slowly flipped through the book, mesmerised by the whole thing. "This is extraordinary work Sydney, just astonishing. Can I meet him?" Jarod asked eagerly, wanting to discuss this with the man, ask him questions, show the man his drawings.

“I don't think so Jarod, there is much work to be done here, and the Duke needs us now, but perhaps one day." Sydney said, a little afraid that if this man knew about Jarod, they might take him from him.

Nodding at that, Jarod knew he would never go see this man. He had not left the castle and the castle's private garden since that day so many years ago with Parker. He was now the old age of ten, and still Sydney would not let him venture out, keeping him locked behind these walls. "Yes sir. If we had the chance, I would do anything to go. This man is a genius."

“I know you would Jarod, but I don't think that will be possible." Sydney said softly.

"Yes Sydney," Jarod sighed heavily and sat down to look more carefully through the book. He spotted a drawing of a mechanical bird and his eyes opened wide. It was very similar to the ones Jarod drew in the dirt and the one he had finally sketched down onto his special paper Sydney let him use.

"What is it Jarod?" Sydney asked, seeing the way he reacted to that drawing. He had brought these back specifically to show Jarod, suspecting that he might have something to say about them. Sydney knew that they had barely scratched the surface of his talent and was almost a little afraid to find out how gifted he truly was. At the same time, his very nature forced him to proceed, regardless of the risk. If the Duke found out about his genius, or even worse, somebody else did, there was no telling what might happen.

“It's just good." Jarod lied smoothly, hating to lie to the man. But his parents had said never to show nor speak about Jarod's drawings. Besides his beloved parents, Lady Parker was the only other one who knew about it. Sydney let him use parchment now in his room for his own likes, and Jarod had done a lot of drawings and hidden them under his bed so no one would find them.

"Good?" Sydney said sceptically, looking it over. "What is so good about this particular one Jarod?” He asked, knowing something had touched a chord in Jarod. Something that clearly frightened or worried him.

Biting his lip, Jarod thought of something to say. “It's very unusual, he must have been ill when he drew something so outrageous and strange.” He whispered. Jarod’s mind was ticking over at a hundred miles an hour trying to think of what to say so Sydney wouldn’t find out about his own drawings, so he wouldn’t be punished for them.

Sydney had to bite his lip to stop himself from smiling at that. “Indeed,” He agreed. "You don't think it has any possibility of working then?"

Jarod shook his head quickly, scared of Sydney finding out about his own drawings. "God made man with legs to walk, not to fly.” He shrunk down a little in his seat, wanting to turn the page so Sydney would get off of the topic. He had not been able to think of anything else to say so resorted back to the teachings of the monks, something he always did when he got nervous and scared, which wasn’t very often at all now.

"Oh and so we should not strive to improve ourselves as a species?" Sydney asked, surprised Jarod was throwing church rhetoric at him. Jarod had shown no real interest whatsoever in the teachings of religion before now.

“I like the drawing of his man, that was astonishing." Jarod said in a barely audible voice, trying to get away from the flying machine.

"Yes it was," Sydney agreed, wondering why he was avoiding the topic. He sat down next to him and waited until Jarod looked up. "What is it?"

“It's a man fully in proportion, showed by the perfect square and circle around him." Jarod said, playing dumb.

"Jarod," Sydney said sternly, the tone reserved for when he wanted Jarod to know he wanted the truth.

"My parents said never to say." Jarod whispered, shrinking away from the man, hating when he used that tone of voice on him. It made Jarod scared and sad, like he had disappointed Sydney, upset the man for telling a little white lie to him.

"Never to say what Jarod?" Sydney asked a little more gently, seeing that he was genuinely afraid now.

"About them, I will get in trouble, they aren't normal." Jarod whispered, wanting to stop talking and go do his work. He didn’t want to break the rule his father had set for him, didn’t want to make Sydney think he was a witch or something for doing those drawings.

"Your drawings?" Sydney asked, hiding his smile for the moment.

"You know about them?' Jarod whispered, shocked and hurt Sydney had searched his room and found them. He drew sometimes around Sydney, but not the other ones, he drew in the dirt or on his special paper and hid them.

Sydney nodded and looked steadily at him. “It is nothing to be ashamed of Jarod, they are extortionary, as much as these drawings, perhaps better, which is one of the reasons I so wanted to show you these.” He said, wishing Jarod had felt confident enough to bring them to him. He had waited, expecting Jarod to show him and when he hadn’t, Sydney had simply put off confronting him, waiting for the right moment. Clearly this was something important to Jarod and Sydney was trying to figure out what that might be, why he felt he had to hide them.

Jarod shook his head. "They are the work of the devil, the people who saw them in the village said so." They were like this man's flying machine, pictures of things that did not exist yet and probably never would.

"You don't believe that any more than I do Jarod," Sydney scolded him gently. "These are the work of science, progress, the future. Those fools are blinded by their ancient superstitions, they are not men of learning as we are."

“I'm not in trouble?" Jarod whispered, struggling hard not to cry. All of his life he had been told not to draw them, if he had to, make so no one saw them or he would get in a lot of trouble. He didn't want to think how much it hurt that Sydney had searched his little room. If he found the pictures, he had to have found the statue of the horse, the clothes Parker made for him and his painting they did at the street market.

"No you are not in trouble," Sydney assured him. "They are works of genius and inspiration.” He could see how upset he was and he put his hand on his shoulder. "There is nothing to fear in here Jarod, you know that."

“Did you- did you see anything else?" Jarod whispered, unable to keep the fear away, knowing if he had, Jarod was going to get a whipping like he hadn't had in a long time.

“It's okay Jarod," Sydney soothed him. “I did not mean to invade your privacy.” He apologised to him, not making mention of the other items, which clearly were very precious to him.

"How could you not?" Jarod demanded, very upset over this, his fear gone for a moment as the anger and hurt over took him. "They were hidden under the mattress. You had to go looking to have found them." Jarod accused, sniffling a little.

"They had come to change your bedding and..." Sydney didn't bother finishing. “Don't worry though, I have told nobody and the servant knows it is not worth their life to repeat what they had seen. I was worried they would damage them Jarod, I needed to keep them safe for you.” He figured that he had been hiding them for years, gifts from lady Parker no doubt and quite cherished too.

“I'm not in trouble?" Jarod whispered, wanting to make sure. The painting of him and Parker was hidden among his own drawings, the horse and clothes in the far corner under the bed against the wall. He hadn't mentioned them, so Jarod guessed they were still safe.

"No you are not, the drawings are amazing Jarod, you should not so underestimate yourself." Sydney told him, seeing him relax a little. He knew that sometimes Jarod and Lady Parker meet in secret and Jarod had been teaching her. As long as it didn’t interfere in his own work Sydney was happy to turn a blind eye.

Knowing now he wasn't in strife, Jarod got up and rushed out of the library. Besides Lady Parker, he had no one he could speak to about them. Carefully taking them out from under the bedding, Jarod placed the picture of him and Parker back under before walking back to Sydney with an arm load of paper, very careful not to ruin them.

Sydney smiled at him and cleared a spot on the table and helped him lay them down. "We should collate them Jarod, and you should work on some of these, although to be honest, I don't even begin to know what they might be or mean." Laying them down, seeing how well worn some of them were, Sydney was glad this was finally out in the open now and they could talk about some of Jarod's more revolutionary ideas. His grasp of mathematics and geometry surpassed even Sydney's now and he was still only a child.

Jarod shook his head, “I don't know, they just come into my mind, I see them and draw them.” He found his flying machine and placed it next to the man's drawings. "They are very similar Sydney." Jarod said in worry, wondering if he really was the child of the devil or a witch. He had never met this other man, never even knew of him or his drawings and yet here the two were, both drawings incredibly similar.

"Remarkably so," Sydney said, putting the two of them together. "When did you draw this Jarod?” He asked, wondering if Jarod was even smarter than this Leonardo from Vinci. If he didn't know any better, he would swear that one was a copy of the other.

"When I was 6 sir." It was the first drawing he put onto parchment when Sydney had allowed him to have them for his own use. This one vision had kept appearing in his mind over and over, every time slightly different, until Jarod had managed to get it down on the parchment.

Sydney blinked in surprise although never doubted him for one moment. This drawing had all the sophistication of the work of a master, not a six year old, even one as clever as Jarod.

“It's a flying machine." Jarod whispered, as if that meant everything, even though man could not and did not fly.

Whatever it was, Sydney was impressed by the detail and how closely it matched this other drawing, it was eerie. Had Sydney been a man prone to superstition he might have been very perturbed by this.

“I don't quite know how you would build it and make it work, but if the other man has done the same thing Sydney, it must be a good thing. Right?" Jarod whispered, very worried he was some kind of freak, devil reincarnated.

Sydney let out a long sigh and nodded. “It is an amazing thing Jarod, just amazing.” He paused in thought for a moment and then decided that he should show Jarod what he had been working on now and had not had any success. “I want to show you something Jarod, something that I could perhaps use your help with.” He knew the duke would not approve of this, but right now that was of no concern to him. He was stuck and after seeing Jarod's grasp of the mechanics involved in such a machine, perhaps he could help him with the current problem.

Jarod nodded quickly, "Anything Sydney." Sydney had saved his life in all ways that counted. Jarod had never been in threat of not being fed, of becoming sick or of dying. But he had been lonely, bored, forced to hold back his mind and creativity, and Sydney had freed it all. He still got the occasional punishment here, which normally happened when lord Lyle was upset at Jarod for whatever reason. Jarod wanted to, and always would want to, help Sydney in any way he could.

Getting up, Sydney retrieved a book that he hadn't let Jarod look in before. It held the plans for the Duke's siege of a castle in Scotland, as well as some of his more long term and ambitious plans for the future and how to consolidate his position. The immediate problem was what concerned Sydney right now though. Due to the rugged terrain, it was going to be a difficult campaign, the logistics of it a nightmare.

Jarod watched Sydney carefully, seeing him grab a book Jarod had not looked at before. "Are we doing more reading Sydney?” He asked hopefully.

“I want your help with a problem Jarod, a very complex problem." Sydney told him placing the journal down on the table carefully. "You must never reveal to anyone what is in this book, not even lady Parker, do you understand?"

"Yes sir," Jarod promised. He took his job very seriously and never spoke about anything they did in here to anyone, not even lady Parker. Slowly, he opened the book and began to read it. "You are going to overthrow another castle?" Jarod said, not too sure about this.

"No I am not," Sydney assured him, amazed at how quickly he grasped the situation. "The Duke of Somerset is. This is an old enemy of his and it is time their barbaric activities stopped." Sydney told him softly, hoping he hadn't just made a mistake by showing him.

"By slaughtering them?" Jarod whispered, not liking this, but knowing he had to help Sydney. All Jarod could think about, see, after he had quickly read the notes was the screams coming form his village. The smoke high in the sky, fire overtaking the buildings, the dead bodies all over the ground, his parents gone. He didn’t want to do that to anyone else’s village, but knew he had to.

“It is not up to us to pass judgement on the Duke Jarod, Sydney informed him a little stiffly. “I have a job to do and it must get done. If he does not consolidate his holdings, then all could be lost, including everything you see right here. It is our duty."

"Can I find a way to do this and spare some lives?" Jarod asked, hoping he could be allowed.

“If you can find a way to make this a success Jarod, then I am very interested in what you have to say." Never before had he given Jarod such an ambitious task.

"Yes sir," Jarod said distractedly as he began to very carefully read every letter, every word, every page of the book. His impressive mind just soaked it in greedily. Once he had read the book, Jarod started to try and work things out in his mind instead of on precious paper, which he might need to waste.

Sydney watched silently, knowing now that time for questions would come when Jarod had it sorted out in his mind and it was best not to disturb him until he was ready. Then no doubt, there would be discussions and questions which would often go for hours, even days. Sydney enjoyed those times more than he cared to admit, starved for someone to really talk to about such things without having to guard everything he said for fear it getting to the wrong ears. Jarod was proving to be even smarter than he had first dared to hope and he was growing more and more scared everyday that somebody would find out about him and take him.

Realising he couldn't really make much sense of it, having no idea how armies really worked, or how one would go about taking over another. “Do you have more books Sydney?"

"On what Jarod?" Sydney asked him, knowing that this was opening up a whole new world for Jarod now. It was a privilege to watch and Sydney had to admit to himself that he was excited by this.

"War, war craft, machinery of war, strategies, history. Anything, everything." Jarod said, just unable to formulate anything to help the Duke since he knew nothing other than a lot of deaths will happen.

"Not very much I am afraid. Some few treatises on it," Sydney said, moving to get some older books.

"Can you please find me some then Sydney?" Jarod asked shyly. “I have no knowledge. How am I to work without background knowledge Sydney?" There was no way Jarod would be able to complete this task without knowledge of the things involved. He couldn’t just make up information in his head about war and overthrowing other armies, he needed to read and learn about them first.

Sydney turned to look at him, a few books in his hand. “I will have to speak to the Duke, but perhaps... what if we were to model it?" Sydney said, knowing that they had used rough models before to explain strategies.

Jarod thought about it, “It might help.” He nodded, willing to try it.

Sydney smiled broadly at him. "Then we have a model to build and perhaps that would best be done outside." Sydney told him, wanting to give him something to engage him, something he could really enjoy too.

Jarod's eyes snapped up at that, his own broad smile covering his face. He loved going out into the gardens, it was a whole other world for him. “It would be best to do it outside." Jarod agreed easily and excitedly.

“I think I have to concur. We will do it by the lake I think, there is mud and sand to use and I will see what other things we need. There is one more thing." Sydney said getting up.

"Yes Sydney?" Jarod asked, picking up the two old books Sydney had and the one he was given not even an hour ago.

“I think it is about time you had one of these of your own." Sydney said, with some ceremony, he placed a brand new leather-bound journal in front of Jarod. The book was large and heavy and made of the finest paper in Italy. 

Jarod's eyes opened as wide as saucers, gaping at Sydney and the book. He shook his head, he had never, ever, had a book of his very own, not even a reading book. The parchment he used to draw on were scraps from their work, but this, this was so beautiful. He looked up at Sydney, unable to do anything, not quite believing it was for him.

Sydney just smiled at him gently. "This is yours Jarod, you can put in it anything you want, and we can keep it in here, where no servants come, so it will be safe, and I promise you I will never touch it.” He told him, pleased by his reaction.

Tears built up in his eyes as his finger went to trace over it, but he never quite touched it, scared he would stain the beautiful gift. He could smell the rich smell of fresh leather, the stitching on it was exquisite and he just bet it cost a small fortune.

"You enjoy that Jarod, it is yours and it will be safe in here, you have my solemn vow. In fact if you wanted..." Sydney could see how pleased he was with the gift and was glad he had followed his impulse to buy the book for the boy when he had seen it. The Duke had allowed a budget to spend on anything that Sydney thought would be necessary, and this was definitely necessary in Sydney's opinion.

"What?" Jarod asked, still in shock over this astonishing gift. Jarod finally got the guts to touch it, and sighed at how smooth and soft the leather was. Unwinding the cord, Jarod slowly opened it and touched the paper, gasping again softly at the quality of it.

"You can safely store everything in here Jarod if you like, keep your horse on the table if you wish.” He said gently.

"You saw my horse?" Jarod whispered, fear back in his eyes. “It was a gift, Lady Parker brought it to me one day. We didn't do anything wrong.” He pleaded, not wanting them to go hurt her for taking him to the markets.

“It is okay Jarod, I know that it is important to you, but wouldn't you like to be able to see it all of the time, instead of keeping it hidden away?” He asked, seeing the fear back in his eyes again. That had not been his intention to scare the boy again.

"She didn't do anything wrong." Jarod whispered, his head and eyes lowered. He kept his clothes, the drawing and the horse hidden so not only wouldn't he get in trouble, but so Parker wouldn't either.

“I know she didn't Jarod, nobody is in trouble,” He told him softly. He couldn’t blame the boy for fearing the consequences, Lyle went out of his way every chance he could to threaten him and remind him of his position in life. Jarod was a tender child too, lacking in confidence in his own abilities and easily pushed around.

"You won't tell her father?" Jarod whispered, hope in his eyes as he looked up. “I would do anything to keep her safe.” He whispered. He would take all punishments for her, do anything he had to. Just to know his friend would be safe and happy always.

“I am not going to tell anyone Jarod, that is a promise." Sydney reassured him, trying to soothe his fears.

“I can bring it all in here? Does the Duke ever come in here when we aren't here?" Jarod asked, worried his things would be found and taken from him.

"He could Jarod, but he would never have to know about it would he? Just our little secret." Sydney told him, seeing how worried he was.

"But if he came in and saw my things, he would know about it. Take them, hurt Lady Parker, hurt me. Maybe you too.” He shook his head, too scared to have them on show.

"How would he know it was from her?" Sydney questioned him softly. "Unless somebody told him. Look around Jarod, how many things of mine do you see, do you really believe it would look out of place?"

Jarod nodded slowly, deciding to keep the picture and clothes hidden, although he bet Sydney knew about them too if he knew about everything else.

“It is up to you Jarod," Sydney told him, not wanting to put too much pressure on him. “I am glad you like the journal."

Jarod smiled broadly at him, “I do Sydney, thank you."

"Excellent," Sydney said, not pushing him on the horse issue for now.

Picking up the book, surprised at how heavy it was, Jarod slid it under Sydney's desk so no one would see it and take it from him. He would do more drawings in there, maybe write some notes in the special hand he had created that only he knew. Moving over to Sydney, the other books in his arms, he was ready to go outside now.

“I think you are going to enjoy this Jarod, I know I will." It would be intriguing to watch as Jarod conceptualised his ideas and Sydney was hoping to get an insight into just what went on in the boy's mind.

Jarod smiled, being outside would be enjoyment enough for him. He loved it when they let him out in the sun. Following Sydney out, Jarod paused when they got into the sun and his face turned towards it.

Sydney didn't bother rushing him, just walked slowly to the lake. He would arrange for all the materials later, he just wanted to give Jarod an idea of what he had in mind, see if he could conceptualise a problem on a large scale. As the boy was developing into a young man now, he found that he enjoyed his company, the arguments and collaborations in a way he had never anticipated he would when taking on a new apprentice.

Jarod began to follow, running a little to catch up. When they got to the lake, Jarod put the books down. "May I?” He asked, always being allowed to go for a little run about when he got outside. It always helped Jarod to concentrate and feel better, burning off some of the excess energy he always had.

“I have some things to think about, take your time, and Jarod, and bring me back an apple if you would." Sydney smiled at him, glad to offer him this indulgence. 

"Yes Sydney.” He agreed happily as he ran off. It felt so good to just run about, stretch his legs, breathe in the fresh air.

Sydney shook his head in amusement as he watched him, having grown quite fond of the boy over time, which was unexpected. It was one thing to admire his talent and amazing abilities, but he liked the boy himself. He was a decent person and that was rare in this day when everyone was only out to get what they could for themselves.

Jarod wandered about, hoping to see Lady Parker, but by the time he got to the apple trees he still hadn't seen her around. Picking a few apples, Jarod sat down to munch on his. Closing his eyes, he imagined he was back home with his parents in the fields, watching his father train the horses.