Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Sydney knew he was late but it was not to be helped. Approaching the room that he used to teach the young Lord Lyle, he saw Jarod by the door, crying and upset. "What is wrong Jarod?” He asked, knowing he really needed to get started. If it wasn't for this boy's exceptional talents he never would have put up with his emotional outbursts like this. It was exhausting when all Sydney wanted to do was focus on the work. As he matured, he would be more committed to his work and sometimes Sydney forgot just how young the boy really was. He was already smarter than anybody Sydney had ever met and it was easy to forget he was barely out of nappies.

Jarod looked up at him, his eyes red and swollen, his cheek bright red, his lip bleeding. "He hit me,” He whispered. He still couldn’t believe it. He had been hit by the monks before, but he had never imagined he would be hit by this boy that he wanted to be friends with so desperately.

Sydney looked at him and sighed. "You mustn't provoke him Jarod,” He cautioned.

"But..."

Sydney put his hand up to stop the protests. "You have been here long enough now Jarod and you are smart enough to know how things are." Sydney didn’t deal in wishful thinking and fantasy, he was a realist and had learnt quickly that if you wanted to survive you had to accept what was and not what you wished was.

Jarod looked up at him, resenting his attitude enormously. It wasn't fair, and Sydney knew it wouldn't have been his fault. "Yes sir,” He whispered and got up and followed him in. There was simply no point in arguing. He didn’t understand why some people were more important than others, why they should always get their way and other people never did.

Lyle looked up as the doors opened and frowned as the boy came in, standing behind Sydney. "I told you to leave me servant." Lyle reminded him, folding his arms. Lyle did not know why this boy was working with Sydney. He obviously wasn’t all too bright if he came back in after Lyle had struck him three times and ordered him to leave him.

Sydney put his documents down and looked at the boy. "He does not concern you right now my Lord,” Sydney said in a firm voice.

"This is my lesson. I don't want that thing here. He was moving too much!" Lyle shouted at Sydney, sulking the boy was still in the room. Lyle was a Lord, everyone had to do what he told them to. It was frustrating and upsetting for him neither that boy or Sydney was doing what he told of them.

Sydney had no idea what he was talking about and didn't care. "Now you listen to me young man.” He said, using what he thought of as his 'lecture' voice. "You do not raise your voice like that in the classroom, and you use your manners, like a proper gentlemen.” He said, not at all moved by his screaming or tantrum. He could see Jarod flinching in the corner at the raised voices and knew he feared getting into trouble for this.

The frown on the child's brow got deeper as he was told off, biting his lip so he didn't say anything he would get into trouble for. "Yes sir.” He grumbled. When he was grown up, Sydney wouldn't be able to tell him what to do anymore, and Lyle could not wait. "I don't want him in here.” He said again. Maybe if he hit the dirty servant a few more times, Sydney would remove him for the boy's own safety.

"And the day this is your classroom, you can dictate whether or not he stays. For now, this is MY classroom and you will concentrate your attentions onto your studies.” Sydney said, dismissing the topic by sitting down and opening his book.

"Just wait, soon this will be MY castle, MY classroom and the both of you will belong to ME." Lyle said defiantly, turning back to his papers after sending the boy a dirty look. And when it was his, that boy would be so very sorry, he would be begging for Lyle to have mercy on him.

"Yes, yes,” Sydney mumbled, not at all concerned about that and looked up at him. "Right now in the present I believe we have verbs to conjugate.” He said, paying no attention at all to his threats.

Lyle started to work, only to stop a few minutes into it and turned to look back at the boy standing very quietly in the corner. He didn't like him, didn't want him in his classroom. He was beneath Lyle. "My sister hates you too!” He shouted at him, though she really didn't.

Jarod just gaped at him in shock, wondering if that was true. He hadn't seen the girl since that first time and maybe she did. He fought back the tears, not wanting to believe it. He needed a friend desperately and now that he knew Lyle wasn’t ever going to be his friend, the only hope he had left was that strange little girl. Lyle was nasty and spiteful and would say anything to hurt him. It did hurt though and deep down he knew it might be true. Why hadn’t she come to see him again?

"Enough,” Sydney clapped his hands together. "Jarod, here,” He ordered him to the front of the room, seeing he was upset and not wanting to indulge him right now, it would only encourage Lyle. "I need you to prepare the next lesson."

"He isn't to come to any more of my lessons." Lyle told the pair as Jarod slowly moved over to Sydney. "I will tell father how much he upsets me and he will send the boy away so he never comes back." Lyle told them with a nod of his head. He was the heir of this castle, this wealth and power, and his father would do anything to keep his son happy so he turned into a good heir.

"Sydney," Jarod whispered, anxiety in his voice and eyes. He didn't want to be sent away, there was nowhere for him to go, nobody to look after him. Despite his loneliness, he really liked it here.

"Then I am afraid you are going to have to inform your father that your lessons are cancelled,” Sydney said evenly.

"Ok," Lyle nodded happily. He didn't like these lessons anyway, they were boring and pointless. The only time they used Latin was in the church, which bored him as well. "I can go join father's army now my lessons are completed.” He smiled.

Sydney smiled then and shook his head, he was going to enjoy this. "I seriously doubt that, more like a beating for being such a disappointment to your father,” He said offhandedly. He knew what the Duke expected from his son and heir, and failure was not among them. The little brat needed a good scolding to pound some sense into him. "Failed at your lessons, I fear you will be unfit to be anything more than a foot soldier in your father's army, and we all know they get killed first."

Lyle looked at Sydney, shaking his head slowly as the tears started to fall. He wasn't a failure, he wasn't going to be killed. His father was proud of him and was going to put him in his army up high. "This is all your fault!!” He screamed at the boy, climbing onto the desk to reach over and slap the boy as hard as he could before running out the door. This was all his fault and Lyle was going to make sure when he was grown up to punish that boy so much and so often he would beg for death. It was all his fault!

Jarod stood there transfixed as Lyle launched himself at him and hit him yet again. He didn’t even try to avoid the blow, he was in that much shock.

"Lyle!” Sydney called out after him, furious at him. He was spoilt rotten and no doubt would go crying to his father about this. He sighed heavily and looked at little Jarod's poor face. "Well at least he is gone for the day.” He shook his head and looked at Jarod's face critically for a few moments. "I am afraid you are going to bruise, but no permanent damage." Jarod seemed far more tender than boys his age and he supposed in some ways this was a good way for Jarod to learn about the harsh realities of the world. Sydney wished he could keep him sheltered from all of this though, protect that amazing mind of his.

Touching his face tenderly, Jarod winced a little, his lip feeling swollen by now. "Sydney, I swear, I didn't do anything." Jarod pleaded for his understanding. Sydney just had to have known Jarod didn't start this. Sydney didn’t even give Jarod the chance to explain outside the room, just blamed him for it and Jarod needed Sydney to know Jarod didn’t do anything wrong.

"I know you didn't Jarod, it doesn't matter though. You are here, that is enough for Lyle to be upset. He is a pompous ass. His father however is a powerful man and we must be careful, or we will both feel his wrath. You will find not much of anything is fair in this world my young apprentice."

Jarod already knew that, it still didn't mean he couldn't get upset and angry at it. It wasn't at all fair, none of his life had been since his parents had gone missing. "Yes sir.” He answered with a sigh. Closing his eyes, Jarod didn't feel very good at all, he hadn't for the last week. He felt weak and as if his bones were getting lighter everyday.

"Jarod, are you alright?” Sydney asked, not liking the way he looked right now. The bright red handprint only served to accentuate how pale the boy had become. Lately his concentration had waned a little as well and that worried Sydney.

He shook his head a little. "Feel... sick.” He whispered, trying to think of how to explain it. It wasn’t a sick like he had eaten really bad food, but almost like his bones were losing weight and the colour from his skin was fading on him. "For about 7 days Sydney. Sometimes I felt like this with the monks too.” He whispered. Then they fed him and sent him outside for a little while and he felt better for a while once more.

Sydney pursed his lips and nodded. "Come then, it is a nice day outside, perhaps a bit of fresh air will do you good.” Sydney also spent nearly all his time cooped up in the library and main hall and sometimes he needed a break as well. Since the lesson had been abruptly and unexpectedly ended, they might as well do something with their free time.

"Outside?" Jarod whispered desperate to go outside, too scared to ask though. He had not been out there since he had been brought here over a month ago.

"Yes, outside,” He said, smiling when he saw the boys face light up at that thought. "We can finish this outside. There is a nice garden that I sometimes use to clear my head and I think that might be just the thing for you young man." It would take his mind off his troubles and get a bit of colour on his pale skin.

"Yes sir.” He nodded eagerly, wincing a little as he did, feeling light headed. Grabbing all his notes, careful not to ruin anything, Jarod stood by Sydney and waited so they could go.

Sydney led him along the twisting and narrow corridors until they came to an exit that was barely ever used. The garden was walled, guaranteeing their privacy and Sydney found it most pleasant out here. Pushing open the heavy door after finding the right key he blinked at the flood of sunlight, his eyes too used to the softer candlelight.

Jarod pulled back and covered his eyes as the bright and harsh sunlight hit him, finding it hurt his eyes after so long of being locked in in the dimness. He had been locked inside the castle for a long time now and was not used to it. Slowly, as his eyes adjusted once more, Jarod moved out into the garden and instantly filled his chest with the fresh, clean air.

Sydney watched him carefully, hoping he was not going to be a sickly child. He would monitor him closely over the next few days. Seeing how happy he was already with this small concessions, Sydney smiled and followed him, breathing deeply of the fresh air too. He really should make more of an effort to get outside, it always made him feel more invigorated.

"Ohh," Jarod whispered, picking a flower and smelling it, feeling better already now he was outside. "It's so open out here.” He looked around, the garden seemed to go on forever. It was so very pretty out here, the garden in full bloom, the spread of coloured flowers breathtaking. Jarod missed being outside in the open space, fresh air and sun. He would give anything to just be back with his parents out on the land.

Sydney had honestly never cared too much for being outside, although it made a nice change every now and again. He was far more comfortable with his books and scrolls. "I suppose it is,” He agreed, moving over to a stone bench where he carefully laid down his parchments and books.

Jarod's eyes were wide and full of wonder as he tried to take everything in at once. "Can I go for a run please Sydney?" Jarod asked every so politely.

"Of course,” Sydney nodded, reminding himself he was still just a little boy and some playtime would likely do him good. He had been working very hard and it wasn’t like he didn’t deserve some time to himself.

"Thank you." Jarod grinned madly and took off. His bones felt weak and so did his muscles, but it was so very good to just run like he used to. Jarod had spent most of his life outdoors and it was a hard adjustment being cooped up all day, day after day. After a long while, Jarod stopped, panting heavily as he looked around and saw he was by himself. Smiling at the isolation, he found a patch of dirt and sat down, beginning his drawings in the dirt like he used to. If he closed his eyes, he could pretend he was back on the hill where the big rocks sat, the village down the bottom, his parents safe and sound.

Parker had been outside playing, it was the only garden her father permitted her to go into. Picking some fruit from their trees, Parker wondered about by herself, wishing she had someone to play with. Stopping dead in her tracks, Parker almost squealed in delight and ran over to Jarod, dropping to her knees in the dirt next to him, not at all concerned about her pretty dress being dirtied. "You are still here.” She whispered in awe.

"Milady," Jarod swallowed nervously, half expecting her to hit him too, her brother's words ringing in his ears about her hating him. He had thought about her a lot since that first day he had been brought here and she had sought him out.

"Ohh," Parker leant forward and went to touch his cheek, before pulling back. "You got hurt." Parker whispered, reaching in to give his cheek a little kiss instead.

Jarod closed his eyes, wincing at even the gentle touch. "You don't hate me?” He blurted out when she pulled back. Ever since Lyle had screamed it at him, it had been preying on his mind. In truth, he never expected to see her again, yet it had really bothered him to think she had hated him as well.

Pulling away from him a little with a frown, Parker slowly shook her head. "No, I like you very much. Who said that? Lyle?" Parker demanded, she was going to kill him. He did it every time she tried to befriend a servant. On some level, Parker knew it was her twin's way of protecting her from reprimand when their father found out about it. It upset her though, because it meant they were always too scared afterwards to talk to her.

Jarod nodded mutely, knowing this was just going to make even more trouble for him.

"Ohh he is in SO much trouble." Parker growled before smiling at Jarod, offering him one of the apples she plucked from the trees. "For you." Parker gave it to him, munching on hers. "What are you doing?” She asked curiously, looking down at the drawings in the dirt. They looked very odd, like nothing at all she had seen before in her little life.

He smiled at the apple and then blushed a little. "Nothing," Jarod said quickly, taking the apple from her and moving the erase them. His parents had instilled in him ever since he could remember not to let anyone see them lest they think there was something wrong with him.

"No," Parker quickly reached out to stop him. "What are they?” She asked again, looking at them. "They are very different."

"I don't know,” He said honestly. He knew nobody was supposed to see them, his father had told him time and time again that they could mean trouble for him, that people wouldn’t understand.

"They are very strange drawings Jarod." Parker told him, "I like them.” She was so angry with Lyle for hurting the boy, and Parker wanted to make it better, he just didn't seem at all pleased to see her though.

"You do?” He looked up at her tentatively.

"I do.” She promised him with a smile. "I like them a lot. Nothing like I have seen."

"I don't know what they are,” He said, gaining a little more confidence now as he smiled at her shyly. It hurt his face, but he didn't care. It was so good to have someone to share this with and talk about it.

"Where have they put you? I couldn't find you, I wanted to come back and see you again, but Sydney told me you were moved and I wasn't to know. I didn’t even get a chance to take you riding on the horses." Parker said in disappointment, having been so eager to show the new, strange boy the horses.

"In a room near the library, it even has a bed,” He said proudly.

"And so it should." Parker said, believing everyone had a right to a warm bed and good food at least. "You are doing good Jarod.” She whispered, seeing how proud he was.

"I am?” He asked, shy once again now. She was so pretty and she was rich and seemed very smart and confident in herself, not scared of anything. Jarod was opposite, he was scared of just about everything. His run in with Lyle hadn’t helped his self esteem any either.

Parker nodded, seeing him going shy, his emotions flipping. "I'm sorry about my brother.” She whispered, hating that he had hit Jarod. It wasn’t right for Bobby to go around hitting servants, they never did anything wrong to deserve it.

"He doesn't like me at all and I don't know why." Jarod admitted in a whisper.

"You're a servant Jarod. You are beneath him, scum, dirt. He doesn't like anyone that isn't as rich as we are." Parker whispered. "That's all. I know if you were like us, he would want to be your friend like I do."

Jarod listened and he knew that meant he was beneath her too. She was noble in blood and he wasn't and he would never be rich.

"Does it matter that my dumb brother doesn't like you? I like you." Parker whispered, trying to look into his eyes when he just stared at the ground.

"You do?” He asked timidly. "Why?" Lacking in all the social skills and etiquette, Jarod knew he wasn’t very good with these types of things.

Parker shrugged a little. "You talk, like I'm the same. You're nice, friendly, not like the others."

"There have been others?” He wondered if they were like him and what happened to them.

"I mean others like me. They are boring and rude and think they are better. And the servants never talk to me. Just yes Milady, no Milady. They are always too scared of being told off for talking to me." Parker tried to explain.

"Ohh,” He said in total confusion. She had just told him that he was scum and dirt and beneath her brother and now he didn't know what to think.

"I like you, don't worry about the rest Jarod." Parker told him with a smile, moving closer to him, reaching out to take his hand in hers.

Jarod flinched at first and then relaxed a little and looked up at her. "I like it out here,” He finally said, very nervous not knowing what to say or what she expected from him. He had never really met a noble person before. Everyone in the village always said horrible things about them, but they were scared of them too.

"Me too.” She agreed, smiling as she held his hand. "Will you be my friend Jarod?" Parker asked in a tiny voice, staring at his strange drawings. Parker was desperate for a real friend, one who wanted to be her friend, who liked her for her, not because their parents said so, or because of money.

He had never really had a friend before, and he nodded. "You won't get in trouble?"

"No, because we won't tell." Parker said, as if it should have been obvious. "Wanna see something?” She asked, already on her feet, tugging on his hand to get Jarod to go with her.

Jarod nodded, although he could see lots of things. He rubbed the drawings out with his foot as a force of habit. "What about Sydney?"

"What about him?" Parker shot him a mischievous smile and took off running with him, holding his hand so he had to go with her.