Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Jarod felt his arms swinging free as someone else was pulling his legs. The rush of blood at last entered his legs as he was turned right side up. “Ethan?” He stumbled into the young man’s arms.

“Jarod.” Ethan let out a gasp his hand reaching out feeling a deep wound in his brother’s side. Ethan did his best to fight the visions of what they had done to Jarod during their line of questioning.

“We have to hurry.” The Major pulled on his son’s arm as laughter filled the room. They had planned it out so carefully. The use of sleeping gas and tear gas to attack the warehouse.

“Well, well, well baby brother does have a spine after all.” Lyle came forward with pistol in hand. “I have to admit.. I expected Parker to show up, and not you.”

“Lyle.” Ethan moved forward waving his father onward.

“You have a choice tell me where Parker and Natasha are… or… You can end up with mommy dear.”

‘Surprise!’ Ethan’s inner voice called out.

Ethan flashed a coy smile shaking his head. He watched as Doctor Raines opened fire on Lyle. It was shocking to see his old captor put a bullet in his brother’s brain. He felt the splash of something sticky hit his face as Lyle’s bloody sank to the floor.

“Ethan.” Raines moved forward slowly.

“I want answers.”

“I want the children.” Raines’s voice was soft and his breathing came in short gasps.

“Why did you shoot Lyle then?”

“The Centre no longer has any use for him… or you.” Raines raised up his gun eyeing Ethan. “Where are they?”

“Who is Natasha?”

“She is the daughter of a Centre has-been and one of the failed red protect files.” Raines let out a chuckle. “Good luck figuring out who.” Raines pulled back on the trigger and Ethan closed his eyes expecting the end.

Ethan opened his eyes to find them both still standing there and Raines eyeing his weapon with dismay. “Goodbye Doctor Raines.” He turned around slowly as Raines started barking out orders.

“Don’t let them get away! Wake up you fools!” Raines kicked the sleeping sweeper.

Jarod let out a cough trying to shake off the effects of his ordeal. “Dad?” He gazed into the Major’s smiling face. “Is it really you?”

“It’s nice to see you again to son.”

“Ethan?” Jarod pulled away and glanced out towards the warehouse. “My God he’s still in there!”

“He’ll make it.” The Major reached out pulling Jarod into the car. “Come on son! We have to get going.” He pulled the weaken Jarod into the jeep and let out a quiet prayer for Ethan’s safety.

Ethan dodged one sweeper and punched another. He needed to buy his father enough time to get away. Ethan reached inside his pocket pulling out the dart gun his father had given him.

“Which way?” A man’s voice called out as Ethan lowered himself into a ditch.

“It’s so bloody dark! North I think!”

Ethan felt his heart race as the group of men ran past him. He found himself gazing into the stars wondering if Parker and Natasha had found safety.

‘That’s the northern star! Where ever you are it will lead you home.’ Natasha’s voice was tender as she kissed his neck.

‘That’s an old wise tale… something about sailors lost at sea?’ Ethan turned his head to kiss her deeply. ‘I’m hardly a sailor, Nat.’

‘It will lead you home.’ Her eyes reflected a strange inner light. ‘I know it will.’

Ethan shook his head trying to force his inner sense back. His eyes glanced back towards the star.

“He’s around here somewhere.” Raines’s raspy voice made Ethan shiver. “Find him and bring him to me!”

Ethan was thankful for the small about of tactical training he had received during his brief time pretending to be an Army Ranger. He now walked along the road watching as the sunrise came upon him. He was near a police station so he didn’t fear the Centre trying to grab him.

“You look lost, mister!” A kid walked up offering him a paper. “Want to buy a paper?”

“No thanks.” Ethan smiled. “I could use a bike.”

“Like a bicycle?” The little boy tilted his head and Ethan managed a soft laugh.

“A motor bike.”

“Why do you need one of them?” The boy took the dollar Ethan was waving. “There is a shop down the road.”