Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Story Notes:
Please note that this story was NOT corrected by a beta-reader! I am going to have one for my next fic but for this last time –please ignore my mistakes, considering I’m not native english!







Under The Surface

Part 1





The Centre
Tech Room
Monday
Late night




„Dammit!” Broots sweared as he placed his mug next to the keyboard. He desperately tried to wipe away the coffee that he split on his shirt –without success. It was late, the cloth had already sucked in the coffee. After realising that his movements were useless, he rolled his eyes before he grabbed a handerschief from his pocked to wipe his fingers.

Glancing at the clock on the computer screen, he let out a sigh. It was 23.31 pm and he was tired like hell. But he couldn’t give up. Miss.Parker was extremely peevish in the last month. It was obvious that something must have happened to her on Cathris but neither Sydney nor him could figure out what. Sydney had several amounts of attempts to try and make her talk but she was stubborn as always –if not more. Then there was Lyle, who seemed to have more interest in his sister than before and that’s why he was at her back *too* often. In his conversation with Sydney, he found out that the older man knew that what happened to Parker, had an affect on his protege as well. And the fact that Miss.Parker told even less about Jarod’s calls than before, made the physicarist more suspicious. Jarod seemed to be more careful than before but he kept on his little games –leaving messges, his red note book and other surprises –which made his boss furious, even tho there were moments that he and Sydney caught when even herself couldn’t hold back at least a smile. But unfortunately these were the only times when she seemed to be in a better mood and these times were rare.

So he was sitting in the tech room late night, sipping a coffe while he was trying to find something that would make Miss.P happy –if that was possible and would save his ’frigthened little ass’ as Parker called it. Forgetting about his dirty shirt, he started to type again. First he wanted to find something about Jarod, so he opened the last document that he saved about the latest things that the pretender left behind. But he gave up on it after two hours. He was ’only’ a tech, he thought, his part was the technical help. He knew it wasn’t his job to find out Jarod’s next moves. That part was Miss.Parker’s, she was the ’genius’ in the team, while Sydney analyized Jarod’s every motive. Instead he decided to try and be faster than the pretender and wanted to find out if there was going to be change that they didn’t know of yet or if there were any secret developments or conspiracy going on. And that’s why was he still sitting there alone after 3 hours search at almost midnight. No one was at the Centre any more –exept the guards and sweepers. After stroking his eyes, he turned his attention back to the screen.




The Centre
Next day -Tuesday
08.56 am
Sim Lab





Holding a file in her hand, Miss.Parker was walking up and down. Sydney just watched her from his seat with a relaxed expression on his face. Losing all control on her patience, she slapped the file on the table.

„Where the hell is he?”

„Calm down, Parker. He’s just probably late!”

„I know his late, Freud! That’s why I’m upset!” She bit back angrily.

„We both know that he was working late last night.” She didn’t reply, just sank into a chair, facing Sydney at the table. Crossing her legs, she leant back, trying to calm down down.

„You should relax! This doesn’t do good to your ulcer!”

„I’m relaxed Syd! I’m just upset because Scooby still hasn’t arrived and I need him. Now!”

„He’s only... 3 hours late!” Sydney said, trying to suppress a chuckle, but couldn’t help the smile. Parker threw her killer look at him but it didn’t seem to have an affect. Sydney knew when was the time when he couldn’t joke around her but this was definately a chance that he couldn’t miss out. She turned away for a moment but when she returned her gaze she noticed that Sydney had troubles with holding his laughter back. He found her expression entirely amusing because he saw that she was just trying keep a straight face herself. Rolling her eyes she couldn’t hold the smile back any longer.

„Sydney...!” She said, trying to sound frustrated but she failed and sounded rather playfully.

„What? Oh Lord, forgive me for trying to make you feel better!” Sydney said. Letting out a sigh, she did turn serious this time. Sydney was just about to say something when the door opened up and Sam entered. He walked to his boss and bent down to whisper something into her ear. Sydney watched frowning as a small satisfied smile appeared on her face before she stood up.

„Perfect! C’mon Syd! We are going!”

„Going? Where?”

„Brother dearest gave me a brilliant idea so *I* have been watching *him* just like he has been watching me! Okey well, Sam did the dirty work but he found out that Lyle found something!”

„About Jarod?”

„Gee, Syd, you start to sound like Broots!”

„Lyle is a dangerous man Parker...”

„I can handle him!” She said sternly, glaring at him. „Are you coming or you stay here, waiting for ’Hannibal’ to capture your boy?” Sydney stood up and walked to the other side of the table. Parker just nodded before she turned on her heels and walked outside.

„Of course I’m coming! Someone has to keep you in check!” He murmured under his breath.

„I heared that!” Came her voice from the outside and Sydney smiled once again before he followed her.



Pittsburgh
10.05 am
Bakery




„Mhmm Jarod that’s awesome!” Jarod just smiled as he watched the blonde woman swallow the bite with an extremely amusing expression on her face. „I feel like in heaven!” She said before taking another piece into her mouth from the cake. „Where did you learn to cook *that* good?”

„OH... experiences!” He replied.

„How long are you going to stay?” The girl asked, picking up another piece.

„Three or four days! After that I... have to go!”

„Why are you in such a hurry? It’s like someone’s chasing you!” The girl said frowning before a smile appeared on her face.

„Well, close to that!”

„Oh... maybe a *woman*?”

„Well, closer!” Jarod said with a grin.

"Your...’ex’?”

„Oh I wish she was!” He said. Looking at the girl he notcied her stare! „Oh I mean... because that would make things... less complicated!” He corrected quickly but the girl didn’t seem convinced.

„Yeah, sure!” She said before she turned around and left. Jarod just stood there, surprised that he was still thinking of an explanation why he said that.





Detroit
12.26 am
A Motel



„When is Lyle going to get here?”

„Sam told me he just left! So it means we have three hours!” Parker said with a satisfied smile on her lips. Glancing at Sydney she noticed his frowning expression.

„What’s wrong? You have *that* expression again!”

„Mhm it’s just... this place doesn’t have a character like Jarod’s former lairs.”

„Who knows! Maybe we aren’t the only ones... who are tired of this game!” She said sarcastically.

„We should leave everything in place!” Sydney said as he walked around with his arms crossed in front of his chest. „Lyle may recognize that we were here!”

„C’mon Syd! Lyle’s as smart as an unflushed toilet!” Sydney let out a chuckle at that line, making Parker raise an eyebrow.

„You seem to be in an extremely funny mood today! Did you happen to get... lucky last night?” She asked with a grin on her face.

„No! I just find your comparisons lately very... individual and amusing!” He said, shrugging his shoulders. Miss.Parker just rolled her eyes as she turned back to the items on the table.

”That much about joking around a shrink!” After several seconds silence, Sydney picked up a newspaper but watched Parker from the corner of his eyes.

„You and Mr.Lyle seem to have developments in your relationship... lately!”

„Yeah! I developed bigger hatred for him!” She said, dropping a pez-container back to the table.

„So your opinion about him hasn’t changed?” Sydney asked, putting away the newspaper. Frowning, Parker looked up at him for a second, noticing his *full* attention.

„No! But why are you asking this? I don’t need...”

„I’m simply asking, Parker!” Letting out a sigh, she replied.

„It’s ironic but Jarod seemed to be right! I can’t trust... my brother! God he has such a tight intellectual horizon that he can look through the keyhole with...” taking a deep breath she turned to him. „...two eyes!”

„Careful Parker! Don’t underestimate him!”

„Stating the obvious isn’t underestimating him!” Looking at Syd, she noticed his gaze. Rolling her eyes, she added. „Don’t worry, Freud! I know what he’s capable of but you know what! I don’t like this!” She said, suddenly changing topic.

„What?” Sydney asked, his brows furrowed slightly.

„This!” She said, turning around. „I have a strange feeling just like when...” Suddenly Parker went silent. A suspicious expression appeared on her face as she picked up a certificate of a one way ticket to Washington. The date was that day and it wrote that the plane was to take off in 10 minutes from their time. Taking out her cell-phone, she handed the papper to Sydney.

„Now who’s underestimating who?!”

„It’s too easy!” Sydney stated. „Whom are you calling?” He asked as he followed her out.

„Sam! To tell him to find out where Lyle really is heading! Oh dammit, it would be much easier if I had Broots but I haven’t been able to reach that little squirrel for hours now! It’s going to take him hell of an explanation to save his ass from this mess!” She said dangerously. Sydney didn’t say a word, just let out a troubled sigh.




Pittsburgh
A Hotel Room
14.54 pm




Grinning, Jarod pushed the enter button. Leaning back in his seat, he let out a satisfied sigh. This will take Broots a lot of time to solve and it is going to make Parker furious for days, he thought, smiling. He just sent a pretty tough virus to the Centre’s system –to be precise to Broots’ search system. Glancing at the time, he thought it was time to call her.




The Centre Jet
14.55 pm




Sitting next to Miss.Parker, Sydney silently observed her. He decided to find out what had been bothering her since her return from the Island. Without success so far. All of a sudden her cell rang, interrupting both of them in their thoughts.

„It’d better be you, Broots!” She growled in a low voice.

„Sorry to disappoint you but it’s just me!”

„Jarod...!” She said, rolling her eyes. „That’s not the perfect time to ruin my already messed up day!” She said sarcastically.

„Oh but I thought it’s always a good time to talk with my favourite huntress!”

„Chit-chat time is long over, Genius, call back next week!”

„Judging by your voice...and your greeting „ he added with a grin ”Broots is... absent! Ah what a shame!”

„Since when are you interested in Broots?” She asked, raising an eyebrow!

„Ah I’m interested in... a lot of others as well!” He replied mistically, making Parker let out a sigh. „Anyways. Just wanted to know if our tech-friend liked my little surprise but I guess we have to wait!” He said before hanging up.

„What...surprise!” She finished the sentence, saying it to the dial tone. Frustrated, she shut her cell.

„He does that all the time!”

„Yeah! I have experiences! Sometimes I feel I would kill him with my bare hands! He’s always kicking my ass with his usual little games about ’sending Miss.Parker pieces of another unsolved Centre-mistery to make her go insane!’”

„But don’t forget; with every kick you get one step ahead!” Parker just stared at him for a moment, knowing that he was right. Watching her turning away, Sydney added. „But you do have developments in your relationship with Jarod!” Slowly turning her head back to him, she raised an eyebrow.

„What do you mean?” Sydney was just about to reply when the pilot’s voice through the loudspeaker interrupted them.

„Miss.Parker! Doctor! Secure your belts, we are landing.”

„Home, *sweet* home!” Parker commented dryly. Sydney noticed that she changed topic but decided to let her win this battle.



Pittsburgh
16.35 pm





After placing his red note book on the table, Jarod picked up his suitcase, ready to move. Everything was at it’s place, waiting for Sydney, Miss.Parker and Broots to arrive. Making sure everything was fine, the pretender turned around and left –with a smile on his face.




The Centre
Sim Lab
18.55 pm




„What do you mean ’you have no idea’??” Miss.Parker growled, staring into Sam’s eyes.

„I’m sorry Miss.Parker! He left and hasn’t returned yet!” Parker just nodded toward the door. Sam took the hint and after excusing himself, walked out. Sydney walked up to Parker, stopping only inches away from her. Turning to him, she said angrily. „Lyle is up to something! Dammit if only I had Broots...”

„Lyle is always up to something, Parker!”

„Yes! But this time our lives depends on it, Syd!” The old man watched her slowly stepping away, heading toward the door.

„Where are you going?”

„Since *Mr.* Broots isn’t available, I have to do the work alone!”

„Parker wait...”

„Relax Sydney, I’m just going to check where did the other Centre jet leave! In the meanwhile try to reach Broots and tell him that I’m... kinda angry!” She said sternly before she stepped out of the door. As soon as she left, the phone rang. After walking back to the table, he picked it up.

„This is Sydney!”

„I’m surprised that you’re still at the Centre! I would have bet that you, Parker and Broots had already found the trail that I left behind.”

„Miss.Parker is busy... somewhere else at the moment!”

„Uh oh! That sounds serious!”

„No! That sounds dangerous!” His mentor replied, smiling.

„Well, this means I gotta wait a bit more til the... *fun*!”

„*Fun*?” Sydney asked confused but it was already late.

He was just about to place the phone back to it’s place when he changed his mind. He had been trying to reach Broots all day without Miss.Parker noticing it and he was already worried. It wasn’t like him to be late... *that* late mostly knowing his boss’ temper and not to mention her patience –if they could talk about patience in her case at all. Dialing his number, he waited. After the fourth ring, he heared his voice.

„Hey! This is Broots!” Sydney was just about to talk when he realised it was his answering machine. „Hi! This is Debbie! My dad and I aren’t at home at the moment, so leave a message!”

„Broots! This is Sydney! I know this is the fourth message that I leave but call me back. Soon! Miss.Parker is... let’s just say anxious to see you!” As soon as he placed the receiver back to it’s place, the door opened up, revealing Miss.Parker return.

„So?” Sydney asked, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

„He’s said to be on his way to Africa!” She said, raising an eyebrow. Turning around she walked out, followed by Sydney.

„So it isn’t about Jarod!” The old man said, visibly relieved as they walked through the corridor, heading to her office.

„Lyle’s probably gone to get our asses kicked and you’re relieved that it isn’t about your prodigy?” She said frowning as she pushed her office door open before they both entered.

„Your brother isn’t that influential that he could get us into trouble! I assume he was called to Africa to explain some of his own actions himself!”

„I hope you’re right! For our sake!” Parker said as she picked up her briefcase.

„Where are you going? Home?” Sydney asked as his brows furrowed.

„No! To Broots!” She said matter-of-factly as she walked past him.

„Would you mind if I accompany you?” Stopping on her track, she turned back to him.

„You think I’m going to hurt him!” She said, rolling her eyes.





Broots’ residence
19.20 pm





After pulling to the driveway, Parker shut her Boxter’s engine. It was already end of September and glancing at the sky, they both knew it was soon getting to be dark. Parker slid out of the car first and then Sydney. Closing the door, the physicharist noticed her frowning expression.

„I have a bad feeling!” She said silently. Sydney walked to the other side of the car and together they made their way to the front door.

Miss.Parker pushed the doorbell but there wasn’t any response. She saw the worried look on Sydney’s face as he pushed it again just as she was about to do it. Almost two minutes had passed when she decided to change strategy. Bending down, she pulled out a key from under the door-mat.

„Why do I have the feeling you have experiences with this door?”

„Yeah! But unfortunately any time I show up here, Broots ends up in some kind of mess! I hope this time not!” She said.

„Oh yeah... the Damon incident! Broots told me about you... suddenly appearing in his house!” He said. Parker glanced at him for a moment, raising an eyebrow. Turning back to the door, she tried to put the key into the keyhole. Suddenly freezing, she didn’t move.

„What’s wrong?” Sydney asked, confused. Putting one finger to her lips to tell him to be silent, she reached out a hand and touched the door. Shoving it with small force, it opened up.

Miss.Parker glanced at Sydney knowingly and saw his brows furrowed. Placing her left palm on his chest, she gently pushed him backwards as she took out her gun with the other one. Raising it up, she took a step forward. She felt Sydney grab her arm as he leant in to whisper into her ear.

„Be careful!”

„Stay here Syd!” She replied.

She didn’t look at him, that way she didn’t see that he was on her tracks. Miss.Parker slowly made her way through the corridor before she reached the living room. She felt someone’s presence behind her and knew it was Sydney.

„I told you to stay there!” She whispered angrily.

„And who would help you then if you get hurt?” He replied.

„It won’t be too much of a help either if *you* get hurt!” She bit back.

Sydney was just about to reply when they heared a noise. It was coming from the living room, as if someone was walking in slowly. Parker counted to three before she jumped forward and aimed her gun at the direction the noise was coming from. The sudden move frightened the stranger and they all heared a crash as a vase fell to the floor and broke into pieces. Parker’s eyes widened as she realized who was standing in front of her and she quickly lowered her gun.

„Debbie!” She said as she let out a sigh of relief. A big sigh. Sydney was on the little girl’s side immediately.

„Are you alright?” He asked but the only reply that he got was a nod as the girl fought back tears.

„I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to...” Parker said but she was taken aback as the girl threw herself at her, hugging her as she sobbed. After stroking her hair for several moments, she set her away a bit but enough to look into her eyes.

„Debbie what’s wrong?!”

All of a sudden they heared another noise, coming from the kitchen this time. Parker’s gaze met Sydney’s and he gently pulled Debbie away, whispering her to be silent. Miss.Parker raised her gun again and stepped away when she felt someone grab her. Looking back she noticed Debbie holding on to her, shaking her head with a barely audible „No!”

„Shh... it’s okey!” She smiled at her before she stepped away, making the little girl release her. Sydney felt Debbie shaking violently as they took several steps back. Sydney was worried for Parker himself as well but watched her back as she slowly made her way to corridor, heading to the kitchen.

As silently as it was possible she took small steps toward the kitchen. Twilight has already covered everything by that time and there weren’t any lights on, making it harder for her. Or easier if she could stay hidden, she thought. Stepping through the kitchen door, she held her gun steady in her hands, slowly turning around. As she reached the middle, suddenly a movement in the other side of room caught her attention. Aiming her gun at that direction, she hissed:

„Freeze!” The dark figure didn’t move, just slowly raised his hands and Parker saw the gun in his right hand. „Turn around! Slowly!” She growled. The man let out a chuckle and somehow Parker knew it meant trouble. Before she could react, she felt a sharp pain at the back of her neck before she collapsed to the floor.




To be continued...






































































Chapter End Notes:
Liked it? Hated it? Just drop me a feedback! Thanks a lot!
Zsazsa.