Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
This is a re-post to a story which is nearly 10 years old...

FALLING
by Mindwalker78

CATEGORY: Crossover Pretender/X-Files, J/MP and M/S
SPOILER: Pretender short after 3rd season start (before Thomas) - X-Files somewhere 4th season

DISCLAIMER: The Pretender and its characters, Jarod, Miss Parker, Sydney, Broots, Debbie, Angelo and all others belong to NBC and I just borrow them. The X-Files, Mulder and Scully, don´t belong to me eigher but to FOX and CC.

Authors note: English isn´t my first language so please be kind with mistakes and spellings, ok?

Thanks to Heather and Cloe :-)

And now on with the story. Let me know if you like it :-)


Washington D. C.
A side street
6 a.m.

"Mulder!" Scully slammed the car door shut behind her. "There better be a damn good reason for calling me out here in the middle of the night." She walked over and climbed into his car.

"Oh, if you don’t find this interesting, I’ll clean your gun for the next six months." He grinned as disarmindy as usual and handed her a cup of coffee.

"Good." Scully threw him a look and took the cup out of his hand. "So, what’s up?" she asked after taking a sip.

"Here, take a look at this." He held out some of papers and waited for her reaction as she read the first lines.

She looked quickly over to him and focused back on the file. "You mean this guy we worked with last week on the Hartman case is no FBI agent. This paper says he pretended several times to be a cop or a FBI-agent."

"Right." Mulder nodded still, grinning. "Read on. It’ll get even better." Scully could see his eyes glittering again and took a deep breath before she continued. A few minutes later, she folded the papers and turned to Mulder. "So...? It looks interesting, yes, but why did we have to meet here in the middle of the night?"

"Watch and see!" he pointed out at the street and to the warehouse across the street.

A dark figure slipped out of the old, rusty warehouse sliding door and walked quickly up the street. Just as he rounded the corner, a black limo stopped in front of the warehouse and several people with guns stormed inside. One being a tall slim woman and the other looking a bit older, with gray hair.

Scully raised her eyebrows in confusion and looked over at him. "What’s this about?"

Mulder pointed down the road where the man had disappeared. "This guy was our wannabe-agent and the dark figures that just entered the warehouse, have to be the ones he’s running away from."

"But how did you know they would be here tonight?"

"I got a tip." He shrugged his shoulders.

They waited half an hour till the people came back out with several boxes. The woman seemed to be arguing with the older man, while the other two men stuffed the boxes in the trunk.

The sun had already risen and began to lighten the street so they could see them clearer. The woman appeared to be around 30, long, dark, hair, her clothes accenting her lithe, strong, graceful body. The man she talked to was around 50, gray hair, formally dressed, a soft smile never leaving his face while she cursed in front of him. As she turned around, Mulder got a good look at her clothes and let out a small whistle. Under her long, dark leather overcoat she wore a very short, tight skirt and high heels. Scully threw Mulder an amused look as he took out the camera and photographed all of them.

Back in their office, Mulder threw his coat over a chair and booted up his computer.

"Ok, Mulder. I have to admit it was exciting, but what does it have to do with the x-files? Is it a case or what?"

"Mhm, let me show you something." He waved her over to him and pointed to the screen.

"Here, this is Jarod." A picture of their former co-worker came up from the FBI database.

"And this, this, and here again." Several other personnel files showed up. Each one from another agency. Police, fireman, hospitals, and so on.

"Looks like this Jarod guy worked for almost every agency in the country. Each time under a different name and then disappears without a trace, leaving no trail behind him. As if he disappeared into the air."

Scully stood behind him, staring disbelievingly at the screen, laying a hand on his shoulder as she read attentively. "It wouldn’t be a case for us only if it was fake identities but I got another tip from an unknown informant that there would be much more behind this. He says that the people we saw this morning are also after him. Chasing him. He said something about an secret organization this Jarod once for."

"So what do you wanna do? I’m sure Skinner won't be pleased if he asks what we’re doing and we tell it to him like that. And I’m also not sure what you’re up to?" she let go of him and sat on the desk.

Mulder leaned back in his chair, nibbling on his lower lip, searching for the right words.

"My informant says this secret organization kidnaps children to use them for their purposes. Jarod was one of those kids."

"Mulder, how did this informant contact you?"

"Mhm, well, the gunmen..." he began.

"Oh Mulder, don’t tell me ... oh no, they believe the government is watching us with the silver-strips in our bills." She nagged.

"I know but this is different. They got a mail from someone that might work for this institution called ."

"I never heard about it."

"Me neither but, well, we don’t have a case right now, so let’s look into it and see what we can find. If it’s just a dead end or a bad joke, ok, but if there’s just a bit truth in it, it sounds pretty interesting to me." He stood and threw her the roll of film "You go and see what you can find out about these people and I’m gonna see what I can find out about our Jarod. I’ll also grab us something for breakfast and we’ll meet here in, let’s say two hours, ok?"

"Ok." Scully sighed. He was already so enthusiastic and she knew she couldn’t stop him.

**************************************

Blue Cove, Delaware
The Centre
11 a.m.

Miss Parker entered her office after they came back from Washington D.C. and was just about to go and meet her father as the phone rang.

"What?"

"Did you miss me again?" Jarod’s asked playfully, immediately annoying her.

"Jarod." She didn’t sound surprised. "If you just wanna chat, call someone else." Everything in her wanted to hang up.

"Ouch, I see, you’re not in a good mood when you have to get up this early, huh? I’m really sorry. The next time I’ll arrange my escape in the afternoon."

"You son of a..."

"Now, now. Miss Parker!" he chided her. "People might listen to our conversation."

"And? You’re just calling to annoy me anyway."

"I’m annoying you?" he laughed.

"What. Do. You. Want?" she demanded, enunciating each word.

"Do I always have to have a reason to call you?" he asked more seriously.

Parker closed her eyes and let her head fall back against her chair.

"I just wanted to ask how you are? I heard you have problems with your ulcer again."

"I’m fine though I’d feel much better if I knew where you were." She replied with less anger in her voice. His voice always seemed to have a charming effect on her.

"Good." She could hear him smile a bit as he hung up. She held the receiver to her cheek for a moment before hanging up, and then went to meet her father.

**************************************

As Scully entered their office later that morning, Mulder wasn’t there, but two big bags sat on the desk and she could smell coffee and breakfast.

He always managed to raise her spirits, no matter what he had done to her earlier. She smiled to herself, sat the papers she brought with her down, and unpacked the bags just as Mulder joined her.

"Hi."

"Hey, what did you find out?" Mulder asked, sitting, and took a doughnut.

"Not much. Truth is, it seems like these people don’t exist. I gave the photos away for a bigger search, but I don’t have much hope we'll have any luck. What about Jarod?"

"Right, I can’t find anything about him, either. As if he was never born, never got a driving license or anything like that. I just found some missing persons cases in which his former employers are searching for him. The only connecting thing is his first name: Jarod."

**************************************

"Angel!" Mr. Parker greeted his daughter as she entered his office. She walked over to him and let him kiss her cheek. For her brother Lyle, she had only a disgusted look, but he smiled slyly at her.

"Hello sis."

"What about Jarod?" her father stepped back and sat behind his desk.

"We..." she looked around the office. "...you know we missed him." She pointed at the little voice recorder in Lyle’s hand.

"Yes, and he called you again." Her father made a face like he didn’t liked the idea of the contacting his beloved .

"I don’t know why but somehow ... it sounded as if you are.... mhm, how should I say this... close?" Lyle watched her carefully for her reaction.

"Why do you think so?" she remained cool and didn’t let on how much his question had affected her.

"Jarod sounded on the phone like he seems to... chatting with you, or is it that he just likes ?"

"Are you suggesting he’s trying to dissuade me from doing my job?" she queried, raising her eyebrow slightly.

"He is suggesting nothing." Her father meddled in their conversation.

"Do you think your childhood love would save your life when he knows you are in danger?" Lyle played with the recorder in his hand and looked curiously over to his sister.

"Am I?" she asked simply.

"What? In danger or the object of his puppy love?" Lyle asked visibly enjoying this conversation.

Parker glared at her brother with all of the hatred she could muster and stormed out of her father's office.

**************************************

Jarod ate his lunch and read the newspaper about his latest pretender job. His laptop beeped and signaled that he had received new mail.

was the header of the message. He quickly read it and packed the laptop together, as well as his meager belongings. Whatever he had in mind before was forgotten. He loaded his car and headed towards Blue Cove. There was trouble, and he needed to be there to save the innocent soul who was in grave danger.

**************************************

Meanwhile in Washington D. C.
FBI headquarters

"I give up." Mulder threw his pen, which he had chewed on for hours onto the desk. "Nothing. I contacted everyone I know and we searched everywhere but - still nothing!"

"I know," Scully sighed and massaged the base of her neck. "Come on, it’s already pretty late. Let’s call it a day and go home."

"To my place or to yours?" Mulder teased and Scully threw a paper wad at him.

She packed her stuff together and took her coat from the hook. From doorway, she called back "Well? Are you coming or not?"

Mulder meant it as a joke, and now stared at her. "Huh?"

"Well? Why don´t you come over to my place? We can grab something to eat on the way. "

"Mhm, sure." Mulder left the papers on his desk, leaving it even more of a mess, and stood up to follow her.

On their way to her apartment Mulder persuaded her to grab a movie, so they stopped at blockbusters and walked throughout the aisles, searching for the one. Mulder's first choice was some weird movie about genetic, experiments but they finally agreed to "Six Days, Seven Nights" with Harrison Ford and Anne Heche.

**************************************

Miss Parker sat in her office, her legs popped up and crossed on the desk, thinking about what Lyle said. There had to be something else they hadn't told her. There had to be, she could feel it. There always was. If one secret was unveiled, two new ones came up out of nowhere, blindsiding her.

She decided to take a look in her father's office late that night, once after almost everyone else had left the Centre. It was quite spooky in the hallway as she strolled over to his office.

She quickly glanced around and slipped inside, closing the door soundlessly behind her. The sound of her heels on the floor startled the unknown inhabitant already skulking around the darkened office.

Jarod stopped dead in his tracks as he heard her curse as she bumped into a chair and jumped in the shadow.

He watched her walk over to the desk and search frantically through the drawers. A single piece of paper caught her attention. She read over it and sank into the leather chair; her mouth and eyes wide open in shock.

Jarod didn’t move and held his breath as best as he could. She just sat there frozen. Then she quickly stood, rounded the desk and headed toward the door, when she heard something outside the door. Someone was coming toward the office. She glanced around, looking for a place to hide and was startled when Jarod stepped out of the shadows, holding his finger to his lips signaling her to remain quiet.

With only the dim light from the moon, most of the office was in shadows and Jarod pushed her into the small corner, behind a pillar. He had no trouble hiding there before alone, but for the two of them it was almost too small. Any one who might enter might see them. He grabbed her and pressed her flat against the wall. He quickly stared in her deep blue eyes and moved even closer to her as the door opened and Mr. Lyle walked in. He threw a file case on the desk and turned to leave but stopped and walked back, sat at the desk, and began to search through the drawers. He took out a single file and began reading it.

Miss Parker could feel his whole body pressing against hers though the thin material of her silk blouse. She could smell his masculine scent, and tried not to move at all. As he had pushed her against the wall she had instinctively grabbed his shirt and her hands still rested there, though they had body contact from chest to toes. She sensed his breath coming faster and his heartbeat rapid against her chest. His head nearly touched hers, almost like the most intimate embrace. Had Lyle discovered them there together, he would have assume they were lovers. Their bodies pressed tightly together, both breathing irregularly, both wanting ... something more.

Lyle shut the file and threw it back into the drawer, shut it, and walked towards the door. He stopped short, as if he heard something, looked around but saw nothing. He shrugged his shoulders and disappeared from the office.

Jarod and Parker waited till his footsteps died away. Once it was totally still again, Jarod felt as if he had been fossilized. He didn’t dared step away nor looked into her eyes. He waited for her reaction, thinking that she might push him away, but she did nothing.

Parker wasn’t afraid of much, but at this moment she was scared shitless. He was one of the few people who could make her feel at all, much less make her feel , this intense desire.

When he finally stepped back, which seemed for both of them like hours but was actually just seconds or minutes. He looked into her eyes, afraid of what he might see there but what he found he couldn’t explain. She watched him with the same expression, her mouth, like his, slightly open, panting lightly, just looking at each other, neither mistaking the hunger that revealed itself deep within the depths of their eyes.

"Go!" was all she got out merely whispering, closing her eyes and waiting for him to disappear. But he didn’t. He rolled back onto the balls of his feet and leaned forwards again. His right hand reached out to touch her face. Her eyes were still closed, though she felt his hands just inches away from her, and then he pulled back again. When she opened her eyes again, he was gone.

Parker sighed deeply and let her head fall back against the wall.

Close. So close and yet so far away.

Jarod had asked her once what would become of them once they had all of their answers. All she knew was that she could not take sneaking around and skulking through dark rooms anymore. She definitely could not tolerate Jarod being so disarming close. It terrified her and yet she had never felt so safe. One day, she knew, she would be ready for that safety, but not until she had her answers.

**************************************

The first thing Scully said as Mulder opened his mouth was "No! No discussing the file! Promise me."

He gave her his best puppy dog look and nodded. "Ok, ok."

Mulder sat in front of her couch on the floor, Scully had stretched out on the couch. Both reached into the bowl of popcorn from time to time, which Mulder held in his lap.

When Anne Heche fell down flat out of the damaged aircraft, Scully laughed so hard she nearly fell into Mulder’s lap with the popcorn who split out some.

Some time later Mulder chuckled again.

"What?" Scully asked as she got the last bit of popcorn.

"I was just wondering what it would be like if got stranded on a deserted island." He laid his head back on the couch and looked up at her.

"And?" she teased. "Could you survive like Harrison Ford?"

"Only if you wear those pants..." he shot back.

It had been a pretty long day for both of them, and the little jokes and teasing slowly ebbed away. Somewhere shortly before the end of the movie Scully drifted off. Mulder waited till the flick was over, turned off the TV, grabbed a blanket and tucked Scully in gently. He watched her for a moment and then sighed, turned away ... and realized they drove to her place in car. He quickly scanned the room and searched for her keys, but couldn’t find them.

There he stood, in the middle of the living room, with his hand on his hips. Because he was both too tired and too lazy to get a cab or to walk, he strolled into her bedroom. He had slept there once, she wouldn’t complain to, at least not now. He fell onto the sheets and was asleep before he even realized it.

**************************************

The same night
Miss Parker’s residence, Blue Cove

Miss Parker had hurried out of the Centre without looking back and drove straight home. She locked her door, slid the chain into place and disappeared into her bedroom, kicking the door shut with her heel. Not even under a steaming shower she could free her body from his scent, it was in her nose as was the feel of his body pressing against hers.

Later, after fixing herself a drink, sitting on the bed, she thought about what she had read in the secret papers in her father's office, before the incident with Jarod had happened.

Some time during these deep thoughts, she fell asleep, the phone next to her bed. She was actually expecting him to call, but he didn’t.

**************************************

Jarod’s lair
Just a few miles away from her

He sat cross-legged on the twin bed in the cheap motel room, and worried about what found in Mr. Parker’s office. He and Lyle had planned to Miss Parker. She was no longer useful to them and without any success in the hunt for Jarod, the Triumvirate demanded consequences.

He couldn’t believe her own would actually try to harm her much less kill her in cold blood. If her family cared so much imagine how her friends feel about her, Jarod thought darkly.

**************************************

Washington D. C.
The next morning

Scully woke and stretched ... and nearly crashed to the floor from the couch when she realized where she was. Though she couldn’t remember she knew Mulder must have tucked her in. She rolled off of the couch and strolled into the kitchen, putting on a pot of coffee and then walked into her bedroom to change. Wait, what was that? Mulder! Mulder lay in her bed and it appeared that he had slept in the same position all night. Flat on his stomach, his feet hanging over the edge, his face buried in her pillow. He looked so sweet and peaceful she just passed by the bed and slipped into the bathroom, closing the door quietly behind her.

As Scully’s alarm clock rang, Mulder jerked up, confused at first, but then he looked around and heard the shower. He sank back into the pillow after he turned off the alarm.

Scully drove Mulder to his apartment where he could grab fresh clothes after he had showered, and ate breakfast. He had felt a bit uncomfortable at first to invade her space that much but it didn’t seemed to bother her much. In fact, each of them seemed perfectly comfortable with this arrangement.

**************************************

Later, in the office, the phone rang and Mulder picked it up. "Mulder." He replied. "Yes sir. We'll be there in a minute." He hung up and glanced over at Scully, who watched him carefully with raised a eyebrow.

"What did we do this time?" she asked as they walked up to the Assistant Director's office.

"AD Skinner is expecting us." Mulder informed the secretary, as Skinner opened his door and waved them in.

"Sir." Both greeted him and seated themselves in front of his desk after he sat.

"Agent Scully, Mulder." His voice was deep and calm, as usual. "I heard you’re working on a new case?"

"Yes, Sir." Mulder confirmed.

"I don’t know how you got this case, but I got an order, an order from upstairs. You have got to keep away from it."

Mulder and Scully exchanged a quick glance before he continued.

"You can no longer search for this person, nor the others you were investigating for. Is. This. Clear?" he watched them with an authoritative face, enunciating each word, so they would not misunderstand his words.

"Yes, Sir." Scully nodded, answering for both of them.

"Sir?" Mulder asked just as Scully was about to stand up.

"Agent Mulder?" he clenched his teeth, his jaw working, trying to remain calm.

"Do know of a secret organization called ?"

"Should I?" he responded.

Mulder chuckled, replying "No, sir." And he and Scully stood to leave the office.

"All I can say," said Skinner, "is that I got a clear order that you are not to investigate any further. And one more thing, agents." He stopped them. "There are rumors going around. I’m sure you know about this but," he took an envelope out of his drawer and threw it on the desk, several pictures sliding out. "I always ignored these rumors, because I know you know better than to risk everything but now ..." he pointed on the pictures that Mulder picked up, and looked through them with Scully. Someone had photographed them last night, entering her apartment building and the leaving that morning, Mulder still in the same clothes he had been wearing the night before.

"I don’t want any explanations." Skinner informed "But I want you to watch out and… think about what you really want. Any more pictures or other things turn up and I have no other choice than to transfer one or both of you. Understand?"

"Yes sir." Scully answered and hustled Mulder out of the office.

**************************************

Blue Cove, The Centre
8 a. m.

Sydney visited Miss Parker early that morning in her office shut the door and walked over to her desk, sitting before her, watching her intently.

"What?" she glanced up from her report, irritated.

"That’s what I wanted to ask you." He asked softly.

"None of your business. Now get out of here." She responded coolly, ignoring the urge to talk to him. "Leave." She repeated, her tone a bit softer, signaling to him that now was not the right time to talk.

"Ok." The elder man stood, but asked again before he reached the door. "Have you heard anything from Jarod? Is he ok?"

"Why shouldn’t he be ok? We haven’t caught him, have we?" she snapped.

Sydney smiled stiffly and then left her office.

Parker tried to focus on the report, but failed. She wasn’t sure if she still wanted Jarod back in the Centre. Especially after she read the note yesterday. Raines got personal permission from her father and the Triumvirate, to use Jarod for further testing when he was returned. Tests which included brain-experiments, and his dead wasn´t excluded.

Jarod was useless as a Pretender. He wouldn’t run any Sims for them again, so they wanted to at least remove all evidence from the public. They wanted and needed study where those genes came from and he could do the things he was able to do.

**************************************

"Well, that was a short-lived investigation." Scully remarked as they walked back down the corridor to their office. Mulder grimaced and entered after her.

Though they did have another case, Mulder was mad. He wanted to know what was behind Jarod, the Centre, and that gorgeous, leggy brunette.

"I can’t believe this. We haven’t even found anything yet, and they dragged us back!"

"Mulder, you should be used to it." Scully joked but gave him a compassionate smile.

"It’s frustrating." He conceded, flopping into his chair.

"Yes, it is. Now let’s take a look at the new file Skinner gave us, huh?" she opened it and froze.

"What?" Mulder walked over to her and grinned as he looked down at the file. A handwritten piece of paper and a photo lay above the real case.

"Skinner?" Scully asked disbelievingly, and took out the paper; Mulder grabbed the photo of the woman he took in front of the warehouse. On the back were two words written: .

"Wha... what has he written?" he asked Scully as he turned the photo over and stared again.

" is in Blue Cove. The government knows about it and supports them. I can’t believe it." Scully took the photo out of his hand and quickly glanced at it.

"Scully?" he got that tone again. "Don’t we have plenty of vacation time left?" he asked, grinning charming.

"Mulder." She warned, but knew what he had in mind.

"A little sight-seeing in Delaware?" he suggested sweetly.

Why does this always happen to me? Scully wondered to herself, closing her eyes.

**************************************

What’s up? Miss Parker wondered and tapped her fingernails on the glass-topped desk, staring at the phone. Jarod didn’t leave out a single chance to call and tease her. And now he wasn't. Or had he seen the same paper she had? Maybe he disappeared completely this time, without leaving stupid trails and presents behind him, and most certainly, no forwarding address.

**************************************

Mr. Parker’s office

"We have a suspicion that Jarod is already in Blue Cove. Now, we let the games begin." Mr. Parker said to his son and Lyle grinned evilly.

**************************************

Three days later, Mulder and Scully arrived in Blue Cove and checked into a motel. They quickly found the Centre; there weren't many large buildings like that in that area. No one they asked could give them any information. Either no one really knew what went on behind those walls, or the people of Blue Cove chose to turn a blind eye and deaf ear.

They sat outside in front of what seemed to be the main entrance and waited.

"Mulder?"

"Mhm?" he asked rubbing his tired eyes.

"Tell me we’re not crazy."

"We’re not crazy. Why?" he asked, looking over at her.

"Why do we sit here when we know damn well we aren’t allowed to do it?"

"Because it's the fun?" he suggested, grinning.

"I don’t think so." Scully tried to find any comfortable position in their rental car seat but failed.

"We’ve been sitting here for almost…" she glanced at her watch, "six hours. Six stupid hours!"

"Hey, Scully. I’ll do you a favor in return, ok? Give me just a few more hours and if we haven’t found anything by then, we’ll go back home. Deal?"

"Depends on what your kind of favor is in return." She replied, eyebrow raised.

"Mhm, I’ll think of something. First I could offer a back rub." He suggested innocently.

"And would that be a favor for me or for you?" Scully laughed again.

"It was worth a try. Besides I’m getting bored." He grinned back.

"We’ll come back to that later." She replied, to his surprise.

**************************************

Miss Parker’s office
4 p.m.

Broots knocked and entered her office without waiting for her response. He waved a piece of paper in his hand and grinned from ear to ear. "I have him." He simply said as Miss Parker jerked the paper out of his hand. She read over it and hurried out the door.

"Yeah, you’re welcome. It wasn’t a big thing." Broots complained and strolled back to the tech-room where Sydney waited for him.

"And? What did she say?" the older man asked curiously.

"Nothing. She just left." Broots crashed in his chair, pouting at her rudeness.

"Left? Alone?" Sydney asked, concerned, sitting upright in his chair.

"Yes." Broots replied, returning to his computer.

A few minutes later, a black car drove off the Centre grounds at top speed. Scully recognized Miss Parker behind the wheel. She quickly punched Mulder to wake him and they followed her.

"Wow. I hope there’re no cops around. The lady drives like a bat out of hell." Mulder muttered attempting to keep up with her.

Neither Parker, nor Scully and Mulder realized that there was a car that followed them both.

**************************************

"It has begun. In a few hours, everything is over." Lyle informed his father.

"Good." The older man didn’t even look up from the papers in front of him.

**************************************

Mulder and Scully watched the woman stop outside of town near, another motel, and walk straight to one room. She pulled out a gun and kicked the door open. She slipped inside.

Mulder drove further away not wanting to be seen by Miss Parker. Jarod neared the scene and saw someone opposite in an empty rest stop. It looked like he had a shotgun. He quickly checked the area and pulled his car behind the gas station. Slowly he made his way inside through the back door and creeped over to the assassin who had already taken aim and was waiting for Miss Parker to come back outside.

Scully lightly touched Mulder’s arm and pointed behind them in the rearview mirror. Mulder drove into the alley and killed the engine. Both hopped out of the car and pulled out their guns.

Three figures in dark suits slowly stole from the back of the motel to the front of the gas station. Whatever they planned to do, it wasn’t good. They all had guns and sported dark sunglasses. No police officer would walk around like this. Mulder and Scully separated and moved towards them slowly and quickly prepared to intervene.

Miss Parker cursed and put her gun back into its holster at her lower back after she had checked all of the rooms for Jarod. As usual, he wasn’t there. What a . She walked back outside, as a shot rang out. She quickly ducked and scanned the area.

Jarod could see that the man shot at Parker as she stepped outside. He jumped after the man and knocked him out, but not before he fired a single shot. He prayed she wasn’t hurt and carefully watched out the window, trying to find out just what the fell was going on.

Parker couldn’t believe her eyes as she recognized Jarod across from her at the old gas station. Just as she aimed her gun in his direction, she saw the men behind the building. Sweepers.

"FBI! Drop the guns!" Mulder shouted from behind the men as he and Scully came up behind them. "Drop the guns!" he repeated and after the men exchanged confused looks they did as the two agents commanded.

"Good. Now lay down, arms out." Scully ordered and Mulder pulled out his cell phone to call the police. The local cops would deal with them while he and Scully tracked down and questioned Jarod and Miss Parker.

Meanwhile, Jarod was so distracted he didn’t noticed that Parker had steeled away. He thought quickly and then opened the front window wider to jumped out. He ducked and ran and neither of the agents saw him fleeing.

both Jarod and Miss Parker asked themselves as they fled from the scene.

The next police car wasn’t far away and arrived within minutes. Mulder and Scully informed them quickly of the events as Scully noticed Miss Parker far down the street.

But Parker noticed Jarod as well. She changed directions and ran after him just as he disappeared behind a few trees. Watching over his back he saw , too.

Mulder and Scully ran towards them but as they reached the woods, they couldn’t see them anymore. They ran blindly toward where they suspected that the two might be.

Jarod stopped to look behind him. Miss Parker was catching up more and more. He increased his speed and found what he was searching for. The entrance to a drainage tunnel. He tugged hard at the old, rusty metal door and jerked it out of the broken concrete wall. A few steps led to a small tunnel, which in turn led into another bigger tunnel. As he rounded a corner he heard her running down the stairs.

Just as he reached the end, she called after him "Jarod! Don’t move." Though the water flowed roughly around his feet to his calves, he heard her remove the safety. A sound he didn’t liked to hear.

Jarod stopped and turned around to face her. Parker walked slowly and dangerously toward him, her gun aimed at his head.

**************************************

"Stop! Federal Agents! We’re armed. Drop the gun!" Miss Parker heard a strong, female voice call from behind her, in the huge water tunnel. She stopped only a few feet in front of Jarod, who had already reached the end of the tunnel and couldn't step back any further.

Behind him the water was falling down to the river far bellow. Parker starred at him a few seconds before she pulled up her arms.

"Good. Now drop the gun!" a male voice commanded.

Damn, so close. So damn close and now these two stupid FBI agents had to destroy her plan.

She had dreamed of this moment for so long, and these two clowns had to come along and ruin everything!

She let the gun fall to the ground and Jarod looked over his shoulder behind him down at the river. The agents were approaching fast toward them and Parker knew what he had in mind. She leaned her head to the side and threw him a questioning look. Jarod mad a short step back and Parker took a step toward him.

"I said, STOP!" The redhead shouted and her partner took some hand cuffs out of his jacket pocket.

Jarod shook his head lightly "Sorry, I’ll never go back" he replied and jumped backwards straight down into the waterfall.

Though the FBI agent must have shouted something, the only thing Parker noticed was the sound of the water. She stepped forward and looked down amazed. She looked over her shoulder at the two agents, rapidly approaching.

It took all of her courage to step over the edge. Better than spending the rest of her life in prison. And if she could get Jarod, it was worth jumping. She closed her eyes and let the adrenaline rush through her body. It seemed like forever as she floated down with the waterfall, but then she crashed hard into the water very hard, and she blacked out.

"What was that?" Mulder asked Scully who stood beside him, watching the scene below them, both bewildered by the strange turn of events.

Jarod heard something crash into the water behind him as he swam to the shore.

shot through his mind. He looked up and saw two little people standing up in the end of the tunnel looking down. His eyes searching for Parker on the waterline and swam back though the water, but the dust didn’t make it easy to see.

The water was deep and as Parker came back she didn’t know where to swim. She had lost all track of time she was almost out of breath. She could make out where to go but only because her feet hit the river floor and her ears seemed to burst from the pressure under the water. With her last bit of energy, she made it to the surface taking in as much air as she could, and just drifted on the top of the water.

Jarod saw something out of the corner of his eye and hurried over to her seeming lifeless body. He grabbed her arm and pulled her over to him.

He pulled her out of the water and laid her gently on the sandy ground. The two agents still stood up there and watched them unbelievingly.

"Are they crazy?" Scully asked, her eyes wide.

Jarod kneeled down to check her vitals and ripped her suit jacket open. She wasn't breathing, so he leaned down and started resuscitation. He had to repeat it several times before she finally spit out the water but as soon as she calmed herself again she slapped him across in the face.

"Bastard!" she shouted.

He stumbled back and on his feet again. "What?"

Parker spit out more water and rolled to her side, coughing.

"Are you insane? You could have been killed!" Jarod still couldn’t believe she jumped after him.

"ME? You jumped first." She tried to stand up though she was still a bit weak.

" trained before!"

"And?"

"You could be dead." He exclaimed, growing angry.

"Isn’t that what you just tried?" Parker wrung her hair out and gave him her best look of death.

"Yeah, I could have let you drift away in the water. Wait! What was that? You mean you think I shot at you?"

"I saw you." He heard the hurt in her voice.

"What you didn’t see was the sweeper I knocked out who was aiming straight at you."

"What? And who were the sweepers behind the gas station?"

"It was a trap." Jarod’s eyes widened as he understood what really happened up there and the look on Parker’s face told him she was beginning to understand.

"And what do we do now, ."

"The FBI should be here in a few minutes."

"Then we better get moving unless you wanna explain to them what we were doing."

"Well, that could be a bit difficult. And you have to be checked by a doctor."

"Cut the crap, Jarod, I’m fine."

"You may look fine but if you have water in your lungs you could die." He shifted in perfect doctor mode and took off his soaked leather jacket, letting it drop to the ground, and freed himself from the sticky, damp sweatshirt. Parker stared at him for a sec till she remembered who he was: Her prey, her enemy, not her potential lover. Too bad, she thought and freed herself from her jacket. They were lucky it was such a nice and warm, sunny day.

"Like I know you, you know the surroundings, huh?" Parker looked up again to see the agents were gone.

"Yeah. There’s a road just behind these trees. If we’re lucky someone will give us a ride."

"And if we’re not so lucky it’s the FBI."

"Let’s go and first find the road first." Jarod replied walking ahead of her.

"Here!" Mulder pulled the car on the side of the road and both hopped out and ran down to the river.

"Where are they?" Scully asked picking up Miss Parker’s jacket and Mulder Jarod’s. "Looks like they actually survived it and... hey, what’s this?" they heard an engine start, their rental car.

"Shit!" Mulder threw the jacket on the ground and ran up to the road to watch their car drive away. Scully came up after him and kicked the dust frustrated.

"Don’t tell my you left the keys inside?" she eyed her partner, who gave her an apologized look and lifted his shoulders. "Great. Do you know how many miles it is to the next town?"

"The police should be her in a few minutes. Don’t worry." He hoped they really would come.

**************************************

"What do we have here?" Jarod looked over at Parker who grabbed the stuff from the backseat. "A laptop, two travel-bags, nothing interesting."

"We’re almost there." Jarod informed her after a while.

"Where?"

"You’ll see." He grinned at her.

"Don’t play games with me or I’ll..."

"What? You can’t shoot me." He smirked, enjoying the situation.

"No, but I can hurt you in other ways." She threatened, raising an eyebrow at him and he could have sworn a slight smile played around her lips.

"That can wait. First, you have to be checked and we’ll escape those agents, then you’ll get another chance."

As much as Parker hated it, he was right. Whatever she do to him had to wait. And as she watched him now, only clad in jeans, his chest bare she knew some other things she wanted do with him and to him....

In the next town, Jarod found a doctor and told him a stupid story about finding her by the river not remembering who she was. He, as all other people in Jarod’s pretender jobs bought the story without asking questions and quickly checked her out.

"You are lucky, lady." He packed away his stuff while she dressed in some clothes the doctor's wife gave her.

It didn’t take longer than half an hour, as she came back outside and actually expected him, as usual, to be gone, but he was waiting, leaning against the car waiting for her. "Are you alright?" he asked, with real concern in his voice. "I would have checked you myself but without equipment..." He shrugged his shoulders.

"Mhm." she mumbled something he surely wouldn’t want to hear and then looked over to him. "Why are you still here? You could have easily left me here and disappeared."

Jarod leaned his head again to the side, like he always did, and smiled at her.

"Yeah. Must have forgotten. Let’s get away from here before those other two arrive." He opened the door for her and walked around to seat himself.

"Forgotten? You? Who are you kidding?"

Jarod ignored her last comment "I looked through the laptop while you were with the doctor. They actually found out about the Centre."

Parker looked over at him, amazed, and he continued.

"Yeah, there is a file about it, also about me and about ... you."

"What?"

Jarod chuckled. "This guy, his name is Mulder. I worked with him and his partner, Dana Scully some time ago on a case while I pretended to be a FBI agent. You must have missed that job, huh?" he grinned over to her and looked quickly back to the road, as she seemed to be trying to kill him with a look.

"Well, what I wanted to tell you, Mulder got a tip from someone inside the Centre. That’s what is written in the computer case file so far. They tracked down some of my former pretender-jobs and somehow got information about the Centre. I don’t know who gave it to them."

Parker watched out the window, the winding road in a green valley, surrounded by huge mountains. After a while she asked again, without taking her eyes from the outside. "Why didn’t you leave me there?"

"I ... You’re no longer safe."

Parker quickly turned her head. "What?"

"Mhm, I know that, well, if you don’t bring me back this time you won't get another chance." He glanced over to her and slowed the car down to drive on the sideways, killing the engine.

"They want to make an example ... like with your mom." He added softly.

She turned away from him, not able to stand his gaze. "I know." She whispered.

Jarod leaned further to her. "Huh?"

"I said . That’s what you may have found in my father’s office before ... I disturbed you. But it’s a lie." She glanced at him quickly and got lost in his dark eyes.

"Huh?"

"A lie. They used me to ... get your attention." She felt pretty bad about that and he could see it in her face before he looked down, trying to gather his thoughts.

"But what about the assassin?" he asked after a moment.

"Assassin?"

"The one I knocked out before he could shoot you."

Her eyes widened and her mouth fell open.

"I don’t know what you mean?" she stumbled and got out of the car into the fresh air. Jarod got out and walked around the car, standing in front of her lowering his head so he could search her eyes.

"Looks like they played with both of us, huh?"

"He actually tried to shoot me? No fake bullets or something like that?" Parker queried, stunned and Jarod smiled compassionately at her, shaking his head slightly.

"I checked his shotgun myself."

"Lyle asked me if you would try to save me when you know I’m in danger. They set this up to ... to catch you." She was trying to put all information together and was speaking more to herself than to him.

"What they would have done when the FBI wouldn’t disturbed the other sweepers." Jarod added.

"That can’t be true." She slightly shook her head, closing her eyes.

"I wish it wasn't." Jarod’s face showed how much he meant it. He reached out to quickly squeeze her shoulder. "Let’s get away from here. We have to know more before we can decide anything."

"Where do we go? The Centre might already know that their plan failed and we also have the FBI on our heels."

"Doesn’t your father has a vacation cabin not far from here? Up in the hills?" Jarod’s face light and his eyes glittered. Parker nodded and both got back in the car and drove away.

**************************************

Meanwhile Mulder and Scully walked up the road back to the motel and hoped the police would be still there.

"Guess now nothing else can go wrong, huh?" Mulder tried to light Scully’s mood a bit. Both their jeans were still soaked from the running down the tunnel and their shoes made funny sounds.

"No. You’re probably right." Scully chuckled and watched her partner amazed. "How can you always pull me into this stuff? I should know by now that we always get nearly killed, kidnapped, drugged or worse."

"But we've had some fun times, too." Mulder nodded grinning.

"You owe me much more than a back rub, boy." Scully glanced up at him and had to laugh.

"More." He raised his eyebrow and grinned mischievously "Shall I carry you?" he jumped after her and tried to grab her around the waist.

"Hey?!" Scully laughed and slapped his hands. "People might think you’re coming on to me." She hopped backwards and Mulder after her.

"You know what’s funny. Now that we could need someone, we’re like the last people on earth but I’m sure as soon as I would try to kiss you, there were photos on Skinners desk within the next two hours." Scully remarked after a while.

"Oh, I wouldn’t complain." Mulder joked and tuned to stop in front of her so she crashed into him. "Let’s try." His eyes glittered at her.

"It wouldn’t work." Scully shook her head smiling and walked around him.

"We’re there anyway." She pointed forwards where they could see the main road. Mulder mumbled something she couldn’t understand and caught up with her.

When they were near the crime scene, the sheriff walked over to them. "Are you the people that called us?" he eyed the two funny.

"Yes. I’m special Agent Mulder, this is my partner Agent Scully."

"May I ask you a few questions then."

"Sure."

"Ok, first, where is the victim?"

"They escaped."

"And would you mind enlightening as to what exactly happened here?"

They explained to the sheriff what they knew while he gave them a ride to their motel. Before they got out of the car he asked again. "So, you’re both with the FBI?"

"Yeah, why?"

"But this is not a case you’re working on here? So, why exactly are you here?"

Mulder opened his mouth to reply but Scully was faster. "Agent Mulder agreed to keep me company when I finalize my annual survival training."

"Oh, I didn’t know there was a FBI camp around here?" the sheriff muttered but let it be that way. "I’ll inform you when we find your car."

"Thanks." They got out and walked to their rooms.

"I can already hear Skinner chewing our asses out." Scully cursed as the door refused to open. She kicked at it angrily.

**************************************

Jarod and Parker reached the cabin as the sun slowly disappeared behind the hills. It took them a bit longer to get there because Jarod took several detours just in case.

They hadn’t spoken the whole drive and Jarod got insecure. He couldn’t read her mind and that confused him.

Inside, they searched in the two bags the agents left in the car and found Scully’s cell phone. Parker took in and began dialing her father's number but Jarod laid a hand on her arm to stop her.

"I to call him." She watched him angrily.

"Yeah but first let me see it. I don’t want them to trace the call."

When Parker took the phone back minutes later and dialed again. Her hands were shaking slightly and it wasn’t from the chill outside the wooden cabin. She fought for courage, not meeting Jarod’s concerned look as her father answered.

"Angel?"

"Yes, Daddy."

"Where are you? What the hell happened there?"

" That's what I was hoping you could tell me!"

"I don’t know what you mean."

"I mean the one who shot at me!" her voice raised.

"Are you ok?"

"Whose orders were he fallowing?"

Her father kept quite.

"I see." Miss Parker sighted. Jarod leaned on the rail opposite from her and watched every move.

"You risk my life to get Jarod, right?" she asked straight.

"You don’t see..."

"I think I see it clearly."

"Angel, I promise you, all we were trying to do was catch Jarod."

"But why didn’t I know something about it?"

"We had... mhm, we wanted to keep it..."

"Stop. Just stop."

"Come back and I’ll explain everything, ok?" he offered to her.

**************************************

"Scully?" Mulder knocked at her door just as she came out of the bathroom, a huge towel around her damp body.

"Mulder?" she stepped behind the door and heard.

"No. Brad Pitt." He responded.

"What would you want here?" she grinned, rubbing her wet hair with a second towel.

"Come on, open the door, please, it’s getting cold." And she let him in, stepping behind the door and staring at him as he entered in just his jeans and a towel over his shoulders, his hair covered with shampoo.

"Hey, what’s up?"

"Water’s out in my room. Are you finished in there?" he already walked to the bathroom.

"Yeah, ahm, yes." She looked away smiling aware she was staring.

"Good. I’ll be back in a minute."

"Take your time." She dried herself quickly to put on her underwear only to realize that she had left them in the bathroom.

Mulder closed the bathroom door behind him, stripped and stepped into the shower, but not before he noticed her underwear on the chair. He grinned and pulled the drape shut.

When he was finished and entered back her room, his towel around his waist, he found her lying on the bed, her head on the board. "Here. You forgot something and I don’t think it suits me very well." He threw her panties and bra on the bed, suppressing a devilish grinning.

"Thank you so much." She picked it up as well as her T-shirt and slipped past him back into the bathroom.

Mulder draped both their pants over the chairs to air and was sitting on her bed in his boxers when she joined him a couple minutes later.

She eyed him skeptically "What? Is your bed out, too?"

"Not really." He made a face. "Emh, but I forgot the key inside and I don’t want to walk to the office in only my underwear."

"So you decided to just stay here?"

Mulder shrugged "Well, I mean, I still have to hold my promise." He made space for her and patted the sheets next to him.

Scully sighed but sat down next to him, still not sure what to expect. "Mulder, I don’t have to remain you on the bureaus policy about a male and a female agent in the same room..."

"We’re not on a investigation." He grinned mischievously.

"That only makes it worst." Scully sighted and turned her back to him what he understood as an invitation to begin her back rub.

"What do we still have? Nothing. We don’t even know where they are now. Or who kidnapped whom? First she wants to shot him and then he saves her from drowning."

"I think they know each other. Did you see the look in his eyes and then how they acted towards each other down on the shore?"

"Yeah, but we can’t find anything more out because we’re on , remember? And besides, what do you want to tell Skinner. He made himself very clear about our relationship. And now we’re here."

"Hey, they make tricky photos if we don’t... you know what and they do if we do. So where’s the difference?"

"I know." She mumbled and tilted her head more to give him better access to her arching shoulders.

"May I...?" he stopped.

"What?"

"Uhm, forget it."

"What?" her voice raised a bit and she looked over her shoulder back to him.

"Forget it." He urged and gently turned her head back forwards.

"That feels pretty good. Thanks."

"Everything for my partner."

"But you don’t believe you'll get away with just this, do you?" she looked back again.

"I even lost my whole bag, my clothes, my laptop."

"Ok, ok. I’m guilty your honor. Tell me and I’ll do it."

"Everything?" she grinned.

"Mhm," he hesitated before he nodded. "I guess I owe you, huh?"

"I’ll take my time and think of something." She turned away again.

"Maybe you wanna lay down?" he offered and let his fingers glide down her spine.

"No, it’s enough anyway. I don’t want to overtax you." She chuckled and he tickled her in her ribcage.

"Hey! Watch out." She grabbed one pillow and threw it in his face.

"Did you just do what I think you did?"

**************************************

"He just used me. Like always." Parker next to Jarod on the rail and laid the cell phone behind her.

"I’m sorry." Jarod looked at he with his dark brown eyes and Parker chuckled.

"You don’t have to be sorry. Really, you've already done so much for me, and I don’t know why. I've never done anything for you in return." She crossed her arms in front of her and hugged herself.

"Yes, you did."

"No. Never. But I want to now." She searched for the right words and looked back and forth from him to the ground. "Don’t ... you have to disappear. Completely. Because I’m sure they’ll try this again and when they catch you, no one can help you anymore. I saw ... Dead alive is no longer an option. Just dead. They’ll kill you." She added whispering, "it was only a matter of time.

"Jarod, this is no longer a game. Leave. Go and ... just break contact. We would have lost track of you long ago if you weren't always calling me or Sydney." She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"But you..."

"No, Jarod." She chuckled sadly. "This isn’t ... You’re not responsible for me. They've already used this to get to you and they’ll try it again. Whatever you hear, don’t blame yourself. I’m safe as long as you don’t show up again."

Jarod shook his head unbelievingly.

"Stop caring about me or it will be your death sentence. I already live with too many ghosts. I couldn’t stand this one." She could see him battling with himself, his hands stripping the wood. "But I don’t have anyone else to ... I don’t wanna ..."

Parker stepped in front of him. "Come here," she said and he stepped into her arms. Both were a bit tense at first, not used to this kind of behavior in each other but a few seconds later they relaxed and their bodies melting together.

If they had had one wish at that moment, it would be to freeze time and stand this way forever, holding each other tightly.

She didn’t want him to leave but if it was the only chance for him to stay alive, it was the choice she had. She wanted him to stay with her, like this, forever, but she could never tell him this out loud.

Jarod had feared this day since his escape. He knew the Centre would use her to get to him someday but he always tried to ignore it. When he pulled away and looked into her eyes, he did what he wanted to do for years. He leaned in to her and touched his lips to hers. The kiss was soft and innocent, and he pulled away again, but she held him by his neck and brought his lips back for another kiss. This time it was passionate, but not demanding or forceful. They knew they had only one day to spend together; only one day to share with each other that which they had carefully concealed for a lifetime.

It was a wonderful feeling to do what they both imagined so often. When they finally separated her eyes were teary but she gave him the most beautiful smile he ever seen and he smiled back.

He had never seen her look more beautiful than she did now. He had only seen her smile a few other times.

She took his hand and led him inside the cabin, into her old room. She hadn’t been there for years but everything looked just the way she remembered. She turned back to Jarod and closed her eyes as he caressed so gently her cheek before he leaned forward to kiss her again. When she felt his tongue brush over her lips her stomach jumped. She opened her mouth to him and he gently explored her mouth. Parker began freeing him from the leather jacket he had found in the agent’s bag and he let go long enough to let it fall to the floor. Jarod quickly returned the favor and helped her out of her jacket. He gently pushed her back toward to the bed, her calves lightly brushing against the edge of the mattress.

Parker slid her hands up his back, tracing the contours of his spine and his shoulders. She smoothed her hands down his rib cage and over the small of his back. She slowly unbuttoned his faded jeans, smiling softly. Her fingers tangled in the loosened waistband of his pants for a moment, then slipped beneath the material. She closed her hands over the twin curves of his buttocks, savoring the heat of his body through the warm, cotton boxers he wore. Squeezing gently, she pulled his hips closer to her.

He gently pushed her back onto the bed and caught himself with his arms to keep from landing with his full weight atop her. She stared up at him, her breath bursting from her lungs in short, rapid gasps.

And time stood still again.

He bent his head to her again, his lips closing over hers. This kiss was different - slower, more thorough. Lingering, tender, sensual - he brushed his lips against her chin, her cheeks, planting soft, sweet kisses on her eyelids and the tip of her nose.

His hands glided over her body, but there was too much in the way. He wanted to feel her bare skin to see if it was as soft as he had always imagined it would be. He slowly unbuttoned her shirt and pushed it open slowly, moving his hand over the smooth skin of her flat stomach and beyond. She moved to remove her shirt, and he helped her sit up, kneeling before her. He brushed the thin shirt off of her shoulders and she tossed it off of the bed. She smiled at him seductively, trying to concentrate on the moment, and not on the many daydreams she had had of this very moment. She wanted to experience everything, to remember, every moment of their only day together. Parker moved, getting on all fours and crawled nearer to him. They stared into each other's eyes as if they were not sure what they were doing. But the tender look on his face told her everything she needed to know. She cupped his cheeks with her hands and pushed him onto his back. She leaned forwards and kissed him again, straddling his body.

Jarod rolled over, pinning Parker on the bed, grinning down at her mischievously, his eyes dancing with glee. Parker lightly ran her fingers along his lower back, the soft pads tracing designs on his skin. Jarod began exploring every inch of her, kissing, nuzzling, nipping her neck, the hallow of her throat, her collarbone, the valley between her breasts, her stomach, and beyond. Parker moved against him, intoxicated with pleasure. The feel of his lips on her body was sweeter than she had imagined. She began returning his favor and kissed his neck, breastbone. Jarod gently drew Parker's head up to his, and their eyes met, brown meeting blue, both filled with desire. Parker smiled at him.

"Are you sure?" he whispered, their lips inches from each other.

"Never until now." She purred, kissing him passionately.

**************************************

The first ray of sunlight crept through the window and colored the room in bronze, purple and blue, making a beautiful sunrise when Parker woke. She pushed her hair out of her face to look at the sleeping form beside her and reached out to touch his cheek. Her fingers lingered there as she brushed her lips against his, waking him.

They had made love the entire night, and Parker wondered if she had ever enjoyed it as much as last night. It was as if she and Jarod could speak to each other without words. It was a silent understanding between them. He knew her better than anyone else ever had did, or ever would. He completed her, steadied her, her, when no one else did or would.

"Hi!" he smiled at her, and took her face in his hands, giving her a sweet, good-morning-kiss.

"Hey!" she grinned back, both aware of the happiness and sadness of their situation.

"I don’t want to leave you." He said simply as he propped himself up on his elbow and looked down at her, his soft brown eyes full of sadness and regret.

"Me, too." She murmured, touching his face tenderly.

"Then come with me." He responded eagerly, but Parker rolled onto her side, facing the wall.

"You know that’s not an option."

"Why not?" Jarod’s hand caressed her arm.

"It wouldn’t work between us." She said closing her eyes fighting the tears that welled in her eyes.

"We can try." He offered knowing all too well that hoping for a positive answer was pointless, and that made him sad.

She was the only woman he ever wanted to be with for life - and she wanted to leave him to save him. It was insane. The whole sad story of their lives was insane.

"Why..." she sobbed. "Why don’t we deserve a better life?"

"We do! God knows we do." he gently stroked the hair on her neck away and placed tiny kisses there. "You of all people deserve a lot better. I wish I could make you happy." Jarod sighed.

"You do." she whispered and stood up, wrapping a sheet around herself and walked to the window. Jarod quickly searched the floor for his boxers on and walked over to her, standing next to her, both staring out at the beautiful forest outside.

"I tried to blame you for ... for everything that went wrong, you know." She began after a while. "For my mothers death, my father sending me away to private school because he didn’t want me around and especially not with you. But I can’t blame you for the things they did to you. I wish I could have helped you to find what you’re looking for." She pulled the sheet tighter around her body, as if it could protect her.

"I was searching for two things. Where I came from and ... like I asked you once, if we ever find the kind of love we were denied all of our lives. I may not have found my family yet but I know ... that I ..." but she stopped him, placing her finger on his lips. "Don’t talk ... Don’t make it harder than it already is."

she said ironically to herself and to Jarod "We'd better leave now. I have to get back or they’ll start searching for me." She walked into the bathroom without looking at him.

After they had removed any evidence of their brief presence, they left the cabin in silence. Parker drove Jarod to the next town so he could leave in a rental car.

Parker couldn’t think of any thing to say to explain herself to Jarod, but it was too late anyway. As she drove, lost in her own thoughts, Jarod disturbed her, urging her to stop in front of a store. He went inside and returned outside without a word and she drove him to a car rental agency.

Outside in the parking lot, after he got his keys, he gave her a piece of paper.

"Here. This is the address where I hid the DSA case." He replied quietly.

"But..?" she queried, stunned.

"Take it back to the Centre. Then they have one less reason to find me. They’ll see it as a small success for you. I don’t need it anymore." He said, shoring his hands into his pockets, kicking a stone away, and watched it.

"Well, then this it is. The goodbye." She folded her arms across her chest, tears she tried to control swelling in her eyes as she looked over to him.

Jarod took a small box out of his jacket and hesitated before he opened it. Parker’s eyes grew wide as she recognized the contents. Jarod grabbed her hand and put small paltry silver ring on her ring finger. He looked at her hand for sometime before he let it go to speak to her, but not a single word came out of his mouth.

"Jarod, I can’t take this ..." she murmured, shaking her head slightly and striped it off again, gently placing it back into the box, pressing it back into his hand.

"No. Keep it." He closed her hand around it. "Maybe it can remind you of me someday." He leaned in to kiss her.

"How could I forget you?" Parker chuckled nervously as they separated again. "But then you have to keep something to remind my by." She whispered, and took off her silver necklace and slid her own square silver ring on it, and placed it around his neck.

"I’d love to." He lowered his head to give her better access and stepped into her arms again when she was finished.

"There’s nothing I can say to you after all." He nuzzled in her neck.

It seemed like forever before they separated and Jarod stepped away slowly, still holding her hand until only their fingers were hooked. Just as he was about to let her go, Parker tightened her grip and got lost in his dark eyes.

"I love you." She said simply and then let go of his hand.

Jarod blinked back tears and nodded slightly, walking backwards so he could watch her leave until he ran into his car.

They exchanged one last look which told each of them all they needed to know, and then he got into his car and Parker slid into the seat of her own car.

**************************************

Jarod drove out of the parking lot without looking back. He knew that if he did he could never leave.

Parker waited a few more minutes to gather her thoughts before she drove straight home. She quickly changed and went meet with Broots in front of the motel where Mulder and Scully were staying. She had told him to hack into the police computer because there had to be at least a report on the stolen car filed, and tried to keep herself busy so she didn't think about what happened and would never be. She was so happy this morning and so damn sad the same time. Feeling something she had denied herself for most of her life. And now she remembered why. Why she had become so cold and emotionless. Because of the aching pain in her heart and her soul. A pain that would never go away as long as she and Jarod were apart.

Broots had followed her orders and scanned the area, the front, the rear and filled her in as she parked her car and climbed into his.

"Oh, hi, Miss Parker. We were worried ..."

"Don’t." She stopped him because she couldn’t stand a silly discussion with him right now but cursed herself for always lashing out at him when she was in a bad mood. "What have you found out?" she asked, her tone a bit softer.

"Well, mhm, these two agents are not officially here, I mean they have no case." he stumbled nervously, afraid he might say the wrong thing or annoy her, God forbid.

"But how did they find Jarod, me, and even the Centre?"

"Good question. I can only speculate but it might be someone from the Centre who gave them a tip."

"From inside? Who?" her voice was icy.

"I don’t know. Really. I tried everything but I can’t find anything."

"Ok, you keep searching back at the Centre. What have you got here?" she grabbed a few Polaroid’s and grinned as she recognized the people in the photos.

"Good job, Broots." She climbed out of the car and walked to the room where Broots told her they were staying.

Broots got worried. She was acting strange, even for a Parker. He wondered what happened. Had she actually met Jarod? She sure as hell wouldn’t tell him, and that disappointed him. He surely wanted to know.

After a while Mulder opened the door and was stunned as Miss Parker pushed the door open and stalked inside.

"Oh, how sweet." She glanced at Scully who emerged fully dressed the bathroom, and turned to face Mulder who was also again dressed. "Let's not waste any time with chit chat. I'm only gonna tell you this one time, go home and forget you ever saw any of this."

"And why would we do that, ?" Scully walked over to Mulder and stood face to face with her now.

Parker glanced around the motel room and waved a photo in her hand. "Because you don’t want to see this picture in your personnel file or on your director's desk, do you?" she asked grinning evilly and Mulder grabbed the photo, glanced at it and showed it Scully. Someone must have taken it this morning, showing both of them in a very compromising position.

"I see we understand each other. Get your stuff and go home. The car’s outside." Parker threw the keys and Scully caught them. "Nothing happened here, you never found a thing."

"Where is Jarod?" Scully asked, her as she turned to leave and Parker was glad they couldn’t see the hurt look in her eyes. She faced them again, when she had her emotions under control again.

"There is no Jarod," she said adding to herself , and for a millisecond her guard was down again. Damn, she cursed herself, this never happened to me before.

her mind whispered to her.

She gave them one of her best looks, and disappeared.

"Wait." Mulder stopped her in front of the door.

"What?" she asked icily and her deep, blue eyes drilled into his.

Mulder decided to take another chance. "We saw you leave with him. Our boss already knows about us being here so why should we go home. We know everything. You brought him back, didn’t you?" he guessed.

Parker let out a chuckle, not an amused one but a dangerous chuckle. "You know nothing." She said carelessly and opened the door. "Keep the photo, I have copies." Then she was gone.

**************************************

Her father didn’t even realize the change in her since that day. But Sydney and Broots did. They noticed the sad look on her face when she glanced at the different, smaller ring on her hand, the stricken look on her eyes when his name was mentioned, when she saw the ring, when she had nothing to occupy her time.

It was the same sad look that Jarod wore when he took her ring between his fingers, on her silver chain that dangled around his neck.

The End