Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: Come on, people. we know *I* don't own 'em... Oh, well, *SIGH*. I don't own 'em... Wish I did... But, nah, I don't.....
 
 

***************
 

Keep The Faith
by -M.


Miss Parker was awake. She had been for the last half hour. It wasn't her alarm clock that woke her up. Or her phone. She had slept, really slept, throughout the whole night.

It had done her a world of good.

She gazed up at the ceiling feeling very refreshed. Pulling herself out of bed without the usual groan Miss Parker, got dressed without a qualm. She actually felt ready to go to work, and catch Jarod.

She made her way to the living room and passed by the couch that had one of Thomas' old flannel shirts flung over it. She smiled ruefully, and once again thanked God for blessing her with the time she had with him. However short it may have been.

She walked out of the house, just as stunning as ever. Knee high leather boots, a leather mini shirt. A white office shirt and a leopard patterned blazer.

She sauntered into her car and drove down the familiar trail to the Centre. When she entered she was greeted by a practically stammering security guard. Keeping to her facade, she glared icily.

"Hurry it up, Junior." She snapped, as he fumbled with opening the door.

"Yes, Ma'am." He replied, looking down and opening the door.

In she walked like a big cat, with all the pride of a panther in the jungle. She knew every corner, every nook and cranny, every single _inch_ of the Centre. Well, practically. She grew up here, she knew the way it worked, better than she knew the real world.

She walked down the hall, to the elevator, and down... Down... Down. Ding. She hit SL-16. She stepped out and looked around, like she always did when she got out of the elevator... Every since her mother died.

She walked into the new SIM Lab and spotted Sydney talking two a pair of twins about 6 years old.

"Hello, Syd," She said and he immediately turned around.

"Good Morning, Parker," he said in his heavily accented voice. There was nothing to mock here. He was gentle and considerate, and his voice demonstrated it in every sound he made. He was intelligent and thoughtful, and what he said made it known.

She looked at the twins and raised an eyebrow. "A new experiment?"

He shook his head. And then shrugged. "Not really, I suppose."

Miss Parker rolled her eyes and walked up the stairs. Sydney said good-bye to the two twins and they ran off. He followed her up the stairs.

"Miss Parker... Jarod called me… He---" Sydney started, but Miss Parker cut her off.

"Great, Wonder Boy got you involved as well." She stated. Sarcastically.

"Are you okay, Miss Parker?" Sydney stated, his eyebrows furrowed.

"I'm fine, Sydney. Just fine." She snapped and started on her way.

"Miss Parker…" Sydney said and followed her. "Are you sure?"

"Is Broots bald? Yes, I'm sure!" She hissed and tried to be menacing, but as always she could not be bitter with Sydney, her surrogate father.

Sydney was not impressed by her charade.

"Positive?" He pressed.

"Sydney ... if something was wrong, I would have said something to *you*. Not to anyone else, but I would say something to *you.*" Miss Parker stated honestly.

"What happened last night?" He said and leaned on the railing of the
stairs leading to the main area of the SIM lab.

"I... " She sighed and looked around. "Everything.... Caved in… I felt like I could no longer breathe..." She continued.

Then suddenly, Broots burst in. "Miss Park--" he said breathlessly, Sydney stopping him. She didn't seem to hear him.

"I couldn't think... I felt like I would never get out... So I decided to... End it." Miss Parker continued, her back facing Broots and Sydney.

She turned around and flushed slightly at finding Broots near her.

"Hello, Broots. How long have you been listening in?" she stated coolly.

"Since You couldn't think." He stammered.

Miss Parker nodded. "And Jarod came along and once again became the knight in shining armor." She added sardonically.

Sydney advanced to her. "What you don't know is that Jarod, has almost done... *that*... too." he sated earnestly, "He called me once and told me about his troubles... Not being able t face his past... Unable to find his family and future... He almost tried to kill himself."

Miss Parker absorbed this and on her face registered the same look of shock that was on Broots'.

Jarod? Precious, perfect, genius Jarod? Mr. I Can't Do Anything Wrong?

Miss Parker shrugged. "I guess we all slip along the way... But the important thing is:", She stared Broots and Sydney in the eye. "Is that we get up and keep going." She walked to elevator that was directly outside the SIM lab, opposite the other one. She punched the button and waited.

"Miss Parker?" Sydney asked.

"Yes, Sydney?" She asked, half way turning around.

"Will you be okay?" Sydney asked, and Broots turned, having kept quiet the whole time.

Miss Parker thought for a while, the silence between them hanging in the air. The elevator door opened.

"Yes, Yes, I will." Miss Parker said, then added, "I just have to keep the faith." And with that she turned and walked into the open elevator, punched the button and looked around with newly awakened eyes.