Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

As Byrnes left, he saw a sweeper escorting Jarod out of the lift. “A moment?” He asked Jarod, noticing the cuffs and shackles and wondered if they really thought he was that much of a risk, or it was more a matter of keeping him in his place. These people seemed very certain Jarod was going to run and Byrnes wondered if he had tried since his return, if he was planning something at this very moment.

Aaron looked at the man, someone he hadn't seen before except in the infirmary with Miss Parker. Looking down the hall, he decided it was ok and yanked on Jarod's arm to stop him.

Jarod grunted softly at the unnecessary force as he looked at the man claiming to be an Agent. "Got all the time in the world Agent Byrnes." Any time out of the cell was a bonus for Jarod, as long as he wasn’t in the infirmary or with Lyle. He hadn’t counted on the restraints though and he wondered what they thought he might do. Perhaps throw a chair through the window and jump the three stories. Now, there was a workable plan. Then he would calmly pick himself up and jog off Centre grounds, or perhaps they might provide him with a car. He eyed the man up and down, trying to see if he was a sweeper they had dressed up, but he couldn’t remember ever having seen that face before.

"I wish that was true." Byrnes said, ignoring the muscle that was holding him. "I don't know what Miss Parker conveyed to you about the situation, but it is very urgent and we could really use your help Jarod."

"If that is all," Aaron said in a gruff voice, tightening his hold painfully on the project's arm, guessing a bruise would be left.

Byrnes looked at Jarod sympathetically. "I guess so. I will be seeing you soon no doubt.” He said, and proceeded to the elevator.

When the man was gone, Aaron hauled Jarod forward, ignoring that his step was severely shortened by the shackles he was wearing. Aaron watched as Jarod stumbled and let his arm go, seeing Jarod fall heavily on knees. Since they were off the two only levels Jarod was allowed on, they had secured him tightly.

Grunting as Jarod landed heavily on his knees, only just managing from falling face first onto the floor, he closed his eyes and took a moment to calm himself before he really lost the plot and tried something that would only prove to be foolish. He had to give them credit though for their creativity. This was the most elaborate scheme by far that they had come up with to try and convince him to work. If it were real though, if this man really was from OHS, that meant something very bad was coming and if they were here openly it also probably meant that not only did he have little say in whether he would be going or not, but neither would Lyle or Parker. That thought was exciting, an opportunity to get out of here and the possibility of all kinds of things.

“Are you insane Parker?" Lyle asked her after he had gone. "You can't actually be considering this.” He looked at her, shaking his head. "We only just got the rat back. Now you want to give him away?" There was no way he was giving the pretender away, not even for a week, and not to some Fed.

"Do we have a choice in the matter?" Parker snapped, "It's the Feds, if we don't do what they want, we are screwed. They aren't even just any Feds, it’s the OHS, unlimited power, more than we have."

"How do you even know this is real? For all we know that could be one of Jarod's buddies, come to spring him." Lyle countered, the whole thing stunk of a set up.

"Guess we will find out. You are to escort him and stay with him every second of the day. And if you can't, our sweepers will. He does not leave this place with any less then ten sweepers."

That brought a chuckle from Lyle. "You want me to go with him?” He could hardly believe it. He would have thought he would be the last person she would choose. It was clear to everyone what she thought of him.

"Who else then? Sydney? The shrink would use the chance to get Jarod to run, me? I'm far too busy since you don't seem hardly at all interested in doing the paper work that comes with this position. One of the other handlers that have no experience with Jarod and would screw up in a second?"

"I am the obvious choice of course.” He smiled at her. "I am just surprised by your... confidence in me. Flattered too."

"Don't go so far to think its confidence, just a matter of necessity and smarts to let you handle him for the week. But be warned Lyle, I see more then a few bruises and cuts on him, you will be in the shit." The very last thing she wanted was for Jarod to come back barely alive.

Lyle spread his hands out wide in a gesture of submission as he smiled at her. "I wouldn't dream of it. Besides you don't think that buttoned up fed is likely to let me do you?"

"To make Jarod work, they would probably do anything." Parker looked up as the sweeper brought Jarod in, holding his arm tightly.

"Well then, if it is government sanctioned, I am sure you won't object too much.” He said, turning when the door opened. "Here he is right now and looking very swank in his new jewellery too.” He loved seeing Jarod in cuffs and shackles, reminding him of his place in the order of things. It gave him such a thrill to see the arrogant pretender brought down a level or two. Too many times Jarod had rubbed his face in it, had them chasing their tails. Well now it was Lyle's turn as he saw him standing there in his magnificent rebellion, bruises starting to come out, the chains jangling. Lyle knew it was going to be one of his greatest pleasures in life to bring him down. He was planning of savouring every moment of it, and then he would use him to consolidate his power base, no more of this sharing crap and playing nice with Parker, things would be done HIS way.

This was the first time Jarod had been up here since being brought in and his eyes went instantly to the windows, ignoring the two of them, trying to ignore the iron grip on his arm. It was worth it all just to see sunshine once again. The ocean was beautiful and blue and he could have easily looked at it all day long.

Parker glared at the sweeper, satisfied when he let Jarod go with a little shove and stood by the doors. "Jarod, we have been discussing this situation and think we might let them have you for the week." Parker told him, clicking her fingers as his eyes went to the big windows, “Eyes on me."

Jarod dragged his attention back to her. "Oh what a surprise.” He said calmly. It looked like a nice day outside and he wished he could be out there, feeling the sun on his face, the ocean breeze. He could imagine it, it just wasn’t quite the same though.

Lyle looked at him and shook his head. "Don't be smart Jarod." Even now it seemed Jarod pushed him, taunted him.

Parker got up from her seat and grabbed Jarod's arm, walking him to the seat she was in and pushed him down into it, his back now facing the windows. "You must realise, in the end, you really don't have a say in what happens."

"That is not entirely true is it though Miss Parker?” He asked her. He had so far managed to dictate the SIM's he would complete, and here he was in the conference room being consulted about this. He may be at the Centre, held against his will, but he was not completely powerless, and far from broken, although he didn’t want them to know that.

Lyle watched, not saying anything just yet. This was very wrong though and he couldn’t believe they were even considering it, despite that attraction of no interference from Parker or Sydney.

"It's only not entirely true yet genius because I have been restraining Lyle for the most part." Parker knew in the end, if Lyle had had Jarod to himself for the three months he would be completely broken. Granted he might not be able to SIM, but he would have broken the rat.

Jarod saw the folder on the table and wondered just what was really going on here. He looked up at the two of them and nodded. "I have to congratulate you both."

Narrowing her eyes at Jarod, “For what?"

“A stellar performance, the suit was a nice touch. You should consider moving to that tailor for your sweepers."

"Jarod," Lyle warned him, in no mood for his bullshit right now.

Parker wished this were a performance, never having thought to do something like this before to get him working, but it wasn’t. "It's the real deal freak."

“And let me guess, this SIM just has to be done immediately?" Jarod asked, quirking an eyebrow in imitation of her.

"I don't even know if it is a SIM they want done." Parker snapped, getting very annoyed at him. Parker was seriously considering this to help the country, to help Jarod save some lives. And here the rat was, making fun of it.

Lyle just sat back and watched knowing that the dumb bastard would eventually piss her off enough to allow him to do whatever he wanted without any interference. This was entertaining to watch. Jarod might be a genius, but when it came to Parker, his judgement was very poor.

"What do you know then Miss Parker?" Jarod asked her, wondering when she was going to give up this ridiculous farce. "Why don't you send him down to the lab and I will take a look at his SIM."

"Stop being such a jack arse Jarod," Parker snapped, sick and tired of it.

"I cannot agree to anything until I see it, you know that Miss Parker.” He sighed wearily. When were they going to understand that they just couldn't bully him into committing wholesale slaughter to fatten their profit margins?

"I don't think you fully understand the situation Jarod." Lyle drawled. Although he had no intention of letting this Byrnes moron take their pretender anywhere, not if he could help it. Whatever it was, he didn’t see why it couldn’t be done right here. They had world class facilities after all and quite a few contacts he bet the government didn’t have access to.

"I don't think either of you do. This is happening, with or without both of your consent. I am not having this on my hands if Jarod doesn't work for them. The agent will take Jarod and use him how they see fit, with you there to observe and keep him in line," Parker told Lyle before turning to Jarod, “And you will do whatever work they want you to without question. Am I clear?"

"What?" Jarod asked, "Taking me where?"

"Wherever their 'bat cave' is." Parker growled, slamming her fists down onto the table loudly in front of Jarod, “And I do not want to hear one word of you not cooperating fully with them. Do I make myself clear?" She snarled darkly at him, over this completely now.

Jarod fell silent as he thought that over. If this was real, this would be the best chance he had to get out of here. He couldn't believe that Parker was going to contract him out to a government agency though, it was just too good to be true. “And when this is over?” He asked slowly. "Back home?” He tried not to choke on that word.

"Yes, right back down into your room." Parker nodded, glad to see him finally getting it into his head this was real. "Lyle will be with you every second you are out, along with about ten of our sweepers plus OHS guards, in a room I have been assured is completely secured for your stay."

If he really was OHS Jarod would bet Lyle's right thumb they wouldn't be letting any sweepers into the building. "I see.” He said softly.

"I don't think you do somehow." Lyle drawled. "But you will."

“And Lyle, do not hurt him beyond what is necessary. They need him in working order, as do we." Parker warned him. "Don't make me remove your other thumb."

"Wouldn't dream of it sis.” He smiled at her charmingly. Was always good to present a united front to the rat. This was very wrong though, very wrong. The days of Jarod pulling their strings were over and he knew Jarod was already thinking about the possibilities this might present him to escape.

"Good, now get out and go call the fool back here." Parker ordered, throwing the card at him.

Lyle pulled the phone from his pocket, not moving and looked at her. Not wanting to proceed with this without the proper background checks. Jarod's response worried him that this might be some kind of scam. "Perhaps we are being a little pre-emptive?" If the Triumvirate found out about this none of them would be needing their thumbs any longer.

"Just get out and call him. Once you call him, run all background checks and absolutely everything we can find on him and this 'project' of his." Parker ordered, wanting to be with Jarod alone for a moment.

"You want some private time?” He asked with a grin as he got up. The room was monitored and he planned to watch the DSA later, just to make sure he knew where he stood in all of this. If she was thinking of double–crossing him somehow, he wanted to know.

"Get out!" Parker barked, all patience gone.