Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Dont own them... damn...

Authors note: Thanks so much for all the reviews, yay everyone. Here is the next chap and we are pleased to say it did not take to long at all to post lol. Enjoy!
"All kinds of things," Jarod whispered. "Everything from medical research to historical, political. You name it, chances are I have done it."

Frowning, "I don't understand. How can a child, a young boy, do things like that? At four years of age, even bright kids are learning to read and write." Her voice softened completely, as did her body language.

"I have been called a prodigy." Jarod said, watching her carefully. Despite her seeing him working, it was clear she didn't believe that he really was a genius. "I was helping perfect the flight data recorder by the time I was 6. I just did whatever they asked of me."

"And if you knew that some of you work was making you a murderer, why didn't you say no?"

"I didn't know what they were using it for, not for years." He took a deep breath. "I began to have suspicions, refused to do something and they... they killed my friend to convince me the wisdom of my cooperation." Jarod moved away from her, not wanting her to see the raw emotion that that memory still caused.

That took Natasha's breath away, and walked closer to Jarod and pulled him into a hug. "I am so sorry." She whispered, her whole attitude changing back to what it normally was.

Jarod flinched at the touch at first and then relaxed a little, holding her and closing his eyes. "It wasn't your fault."

"And it wasn't your's either Jarod. I am sorry they killed your friend, I'm sorry I pushed."

Jarod pulled away from her and nodded. "I escaped 3 weeks later," He said softly.

"Escaped? So you were forced to stay there?" She asked gently. He said for him it was like being on this level, but she knew he was locked in at night, but that was for their security, so he didn't find something he wasn't meant to. "It wasn't quite like here? More like a… jail?"

"Yes, escaped, hence why they treat me with such caution now, I suppose I am a bit of a Houdini." He tried to make light of it. She was an intelligent woman, he didn't know what part of this story she didn't understand. He was kidnapped as a child, held prisoner all of his life and yet she was surprised that he had been forced to escape?

Smiling gently at him, "Is that why Lyle pushes you around so much? Tormented you earlier? Because you ran away?" This story was too hard to comprehend. It shouldn't surprise her so much really, not with what they dealt with day in day out here. But it did.

"He hates me," Jarod told her flatly. "He does it because he can and is a psychopath."

"Why does he hate you Jarod? You're not exactly a hateable person you know." She said gently feeling guilty about before.

Jarod quirked his eyebrows at that. Seemed plenty of people at the Centre hated him.

"I don't know, maybe you're just a pain in the arse, but your not a hateable person. So why does he hate you?"

"I hurt his chances at running the Centre, what reasons does he need? He is a power hungry maniac. I am nothing to him but something else to control."

Looking at him sadly, "I am so sorry for how I treated you before. But I really thought..." She sighed softly. Natasha felt so incredibly bad for how she had spoken to him, ordered him about.

"I cannot blame you. They treat me as if I am a dangerous criminal, it is only natural for you to conclude that I was. Maybe I am, I have been responsible for enough death, that is for certain." That was a truth he could never escape or run from.

"But look at what you have done here Jarod, you saved us, the country, our people from a dangerous attack. An attack that could have killed thousands and thousands of people. You have done so well Jarod, I am so proud of you." She whispered seriously.

He smiled at that. "We aren't sure yet Natasha, aren't you getting a bit ahead of yourself?" That fact had not been enough to mitigate her anger and suspicions earlier though.

"I don't think so. I believe what we have come to is right, and that was all because of you. All the work you have done Jarod, it's just unbelievable." She whispered, taking his hand in hers.

"I didn't do it alone," He gave her hand a squeeze. "It is a very good team here." That was the truth, if it hadn't been for Lyle hovering the first week, Jarod would have forgotten that he was here for any other reason than by choice. These were good people, trying to do the right thing and he was honoured to be a part of it. Being here and being involved with this had gone a long way to restoring his sense of self, given him the strength and will to keep fighting them and not submit. Going back was going to be so hard but at least now he had a sense of who he was again, why he had to fight them, why he couldn't just give in.

"They are all the best here Jarod. But we couldn't have done it without you. I am just so sorry for how I spoke to you, how I treated you earlier. I feel just horrible, I didn't know about it, about who you really were. I had snippets of information and putting them together it seemed so obvious you were a dangerous criminal."

"Don't feel bad Natasha, honestly, it is fine. If I had seen what you had seen I would have thought the same. I want you to know though, that not one of those missiles was ever used." The need to justify his actions to her was still there, despite her accepting his story.

"Then why did you buy them?" She asked, needing to know, still not sure about that.

"I needed to get close and that was the only way in. Blake had kidnapped his children, fled the country. Their mother wanted them back. No relation I hope?"

"No, no relationship, I would kill him if he were for what he apparently was doing. Was this one of the pieces of work you did in the what was it again?"

"The Centre," Jarod provided for her, shaking his head. "No, that was in the five years I was out."

"And what did you do those five years you were out? And because you were there your whole life nearly, is that why you don't know Peanuts or what a tomboy is?"

"You might say I had an extremely sheltered upbringing." Jarod nodded, pacing the room again. "I searched for my family, I tried to help people, tried to keep them from finding me."

"Your family? Did they not let you see them?" Natasha frowned, liking the Centre less and less.

"I was stolen," Jarod explained again, wondering if she was really listening to him. People who stole children, enslaved them generally didn't invite the family over for Thanksgiving.

"Well, I just thought later on, they might have let you see them." Tasha shrugged a little. "Have you found them yet then? Seen them?"

"I saw my mother once, briefly and my dad, my sister." Jarod said sadly.

"I will find them for you," she whispered in a serious vow.

"No," Jarod said seriously. "It is better this way."

"No its not." Natasha said just as seriously. "I will find them for you, use all the resources we have here, and if you can't see them, I will just keep tabs on them, keep them safe."

"No," Jarod said with more force. "It is safer this way. I have already lost my brother to them, I will not lose anyone else."

Natasha backed right down with that, "Alright, if that is really what you want."

"It's not safe." Jarod said, softer this time, "I don't mean to upset you but... my brother was killed and I cannot risk them."

"I'm so sorry Jarod," Nat whispered painfully and pulled him into another hug.

Jarod held her and relaxed a little. "Don't be, we did good here today and we should be celebrating." He tried to cheer her up. He had no desire to get into a debate regarding his family, it was neither the time nor the place. Even if he did find them now, all it would mean for everyone was heartbreak when they found out where he was. Knowing their location and not being able to see them would be too much to bear for him. And if they found them, they might lead the Centre right to them.

"I want to make this up for you Jarod, I want to make this better. I WILL make this better for you." She whispered into his neck.

"There is nothing to make better Natasha, honestly. It is fine, and there is nothing to be done anyway, that is why I didn't want to tell you." He was trying to seem nonchalant, but the truth was he was terrified of going back.

"So after this you are free to just walk away and go live your own life?" She asked, a little sarcastically. If they had stolen him, kept him and he had escaped only to be here with Mr Lyle, it meant they had taken him once more.

"Yeah," he said back, just as sarcastically before he could stop himself. This wasn't her fault and he shouldn't be taking it out on her.

"So then, if you obviously can't just walk away, will be taken back there I assume, then there is plenty to make better isn't there?"

Jarod just shrugged. "We should be getting back, there is still plenty to be done here as well. We are not finished yet."

"Alright Jarod, but this isn't finished with."

"No, I don't suppose it is." He said, looking anywhere but at her. "Please don't tell anyone."

"Who knows?" She asked instead. Natasha would never tell someone who didn't already know, but she had to assume the higher up Agents must know.

"Just Agent Byrnes, I don't know what he has told the guards." They must have been told something, but knowing guard mentality they would just accept their orders and not even think to question why.

"Alright," Natasha nodded, "I promise you."

"Thank you," Jarod smiled sadly at her. "Come on, we have to save the world now."

Giving his hand a squeeze, she picked up the file and walked Jarod out. "Save the world, like every other day."

"Hmmm," Jarod smiled as he moved out with her, worried though about her having this knowledge.

"There is a party tonight, celebration party, you will be coming?" She hoped he would. He had worked his arse off on this, like the rest of them. He deserved some down time and fun.

"I don't think so, there is still work to be done." Jarod told her. Which was better than explaining how Lyle would make it impossible for him.

"I don't care, you are coming. You made this happen, without you we would never have gotten this far, we might never have gotten the answer before the strikes. You're the man of the hour Jarod, you are coming."

"We will see," Jarod said instead of committing. He wasn't much of a party guy at the best of times, never really belonging, always there under false pretences, a room full of strangers that all knew each other while he just stood on and watched, weighted down with the knowledge that he would never really belong.

"I will drag you there if I have to." Natasha promised him seriously as they got back to the work area.

"I have no doubt about that at all." Jarod smiled for her.

Smiling back at him, "Go back to work Jarod, so we can get this all wrapped up for tonight and have some fun."

"Yes ma'am," He saluted here with a smile, moving back to the files he had been working on, keeping an eye open for Lyle.

In mid afternoon, Nat took her break and went to get some lunch, spotting Byrnes in the hall talking to a guard, she moved over to him. "Sir, could I have a word with you in private please?"

"Of course," Byrnes said, nodding as he signed off on the papers. "It looks like we have done it Blake, I almost can't believe it." Everything was falling into place now, almost as if it had been orchestrated this way. Not only had they found and stopped this, but had managed to infiltrate 20 other organisations that were all potential threats. They had more suspects now than they knew how to deal with and his name was echoing on the lips in the halls of power in Capitol Hill. As much as he loathed politics, and politicians, this kind of currency couldn't be lobbied for and it would buy his way into doors and to the ears of people he had never dreamed of before. He was not an overly ambitious man, he just wanted to be able to serve his country in the best way possible.

"I know Sir, and I am so happy over this." Nat said seriously, "In your office please?"

"Yes," He said, taking another folder as he walked, looking over it. He held the door open for her and moved to sit down, still reading the notes.

Sitting down across the desk from him, Natasha waited patiently for him to put the folder down.

When he was done, he smiled tightly at her, running his hands through his hair, exhausted now that things were winding down. The carnival ride was far from over though and soon enough a three–ringed circus was going to start with him right in the centre of it all.

"It's about Jarod," Natasha said slowly, wondering how he would react.

Byrnes sighed and looked up at her, wondering why she wouldn't leave this alone. "What now Agent Blake?"

"You can't let them take him back," Natasha pleaded. "We need to keep him here. It isn't right to send him back to that prison."

Byrnes couldn't agree with her more, but played dumb. "I do not know what you mean."

"Jarod told me you knew who and what he is." She wasn't in the mood for games, having thought about this and nothing else all day since she found out.

"Yes," he said very slowly. This conversation was heading for dangerous ground. He didn't want to have to order her silence.

"If you know what they are doing to him, what they make him do, how can you just let them do it? We have all power to keep him here, keep him safe from them."

"You do not fully understand the situation Agent." Byrnes said a little stiffly, knowing whatever she was going to say was right.

"Maybe I don't. But I know they stole him, kidnapped him at the age of four. They kept him locked up, forcing him to work on things that killed people his entire life. When he said no to them, they killed one of his friends. Does it matter what the situation is? He needs to be kept here safe from them."

"And are you opposed to what we have done with him these last week and a half?" Byrnes asked her. He hated doing this, any person of good conscience would react exactly as she had done.

"What we have done is made him feel good about himself again, gave him a chance to save lives like he did when he was out of the Centre. And if we keep him here, take him on as something like a staff member, then he won't need to be restrained as he leaves the level, he won't need to be locked in at night."

"Are you suggesting we keep him like a pet?"

"No!" Nat looked absolutely horrified at that thought. "I just meant, have him work for us, pay him, give him the correct title. Just to start with, give him one of the accommodations on level 4. If we keep him, it might not be safe for him to live outside for a while."

"It is not that simple Agent. We have a long standing and beneficial relationship that goes back many years with the Centre. You are suggesting we steal him?"

"They stole him in the first place. Possession is nine tenths of the law after all. And the beneficial relationship with the Centre was more with Jarod. With the sort of work he told me he does, I bet everything we went to get help on, was him helping. Look at how great an asset he has been for us. Imagine having with us permanently, all the things we could do, all the people we can save." Tash tried to appeal to him on more of a work level, what Jarod could do for them, help them with.

"So you are suggesting we take protective custody of him and make him work for us?" He asked, just wanting to make sure he was understanding her correctly. That would make them no better than the Centre.

"Something like that, yes." Natasha nodded. "Keep him inside at night, so nothing can happen to him, let him have access to all floors, or most like I do. Let him work for us, pay him, give him the Agent title, give him a badge and suit. Make him feel welcomed and a real part of the team. Just look at what he has accomplished in less than 2 weeks here. More than all of us in three months."

"There is little doubt as to his worth." Byrnes agreed. The way she was talking though it was as if he were some kind of dog to be kept in the house at night. "And the Centre?" He asked wanting to see what she hand in mind.

"What are they going to do to us? Bring us down? Bankrupt us?" Natasha laughed hollowly. "We have more power than they will ever have, and we have their greatest asset here safely. There is nothing they can do to us. I just don't want Jarod sleeping in a house outside where they can get to him right now, to keep him safe until we know he is out of danger."

"And what happens on the day he says no?" Byrnes sat back and watched her intently.

"Do you think he will say no? Do you think, given this chance to do so much good everyday, after all the bad he has done his entire life he will say no?"

"When he realises that we are holding him captive and exploiting him as well, which should take him all of a minute to see."

"No," Natasha shook her head. "We won't be, not at all. It's a job, work for money, just like I do, like you do. I just think for his safety he should stay on level 4 in one of the apartments for a little while until the heat dies down from the Centre. And if he doesn't want to, let him go find a house to live in, with the money we are paying him."

"Do you honestly think the heat will ever die down? Do you believe they will just let him buy a house and commute to work each day? They chased him every day for five years, every day Natasha, until they caught him again. They are not ever going to let it go."

"That's why I am saying to suggest he stays in here for a while, even live in here, free access to outside and most of the floors, or if you are willing, all floors."

"Why is this so important to you Agent Blake?" He asked, clearly she had a crush on him. She had always been such a professional and he never would have expected this from her.

"They are abusing him!" Natasha told him in anger, wondering why it wasn't more obvious to him. "They are holding him prisoner, forcing him to do work he does not want to do. Do you know how many civil violations that breaks? How many laws they break? You saw how Lyle was treating him earlier on, when he first came here. If that is what he does when he isn't meant to, can you imagine how he treats Jarod back there? Don't you care about him as a human being, as someone just like you and me? Don't you care they are hurting him?"

"Of course I do." He snapped, and then sat back. "Don't you think I know? Don't you think I haven't lost sleep over my decision to use him? Don't you think I hate that son of a bitch?"

"Then why not keep him here? Why not let me ask him if he wants to come and work for us instead, a real paid job, where he can call in sick, where he gets annual leave? Where he won't be treated like Lyle does, hurt, humiliated, kept form his family?"

"Have you spoken to him about this?" Byrnes asked slowly.

"No I haven't. He just sounded so miserable and terrified about that place, I didn't want to make him go back there. It is wrong, so horribly wrong."

"And if he says get me out, but I won't work for you, what then?"

"I will have to tell him it's one or the other, as much as I hate that. But I know we need him, it seems for decades we have needed him. I wouldn't want to get you in trouble with your bosses Sir."

"They would crucify all of us Agent Blake. This is not a decision I can make, I will have to talk to Oversight, there are certain senators and congressmen that would have to be dealt with." He said softly.

Looking at him sadly, Natasha knew he was right, "Yes Sir," she whispered. "Can I at least ask Jarod? In case he does say no?"

"Look Tash, I feel bad about this too, I really do," He tried to soften the blow. "Talk to him, see what his feelings are and I will see if anything can be done."

"Alright, thank you Sir for your time and patience." She stood up quietly. "I will see you at the party tonight Sir." And with that, she left.

He watched her go, knowing how she felt, this was not an easy situation, not for anyone. He had known the situation with Jarod long before he decided to push into getting him brought here. He hadn't counted on liking the man so much though. He lay awake at night sometimes wondering just how low he was willing to stoop to get the job done, how high a price could he put on the Nation's freedom if it meant turning a blind eye to such blatant human rights abuses. The only thing he did know right now was he had never felt a more hollow victory and had never felt less like partying.

Going back to the work space, Lyle chatting up one of the agents, who looked about ready to shoot his arse, she sat down next to Jarod. Grabbing a file, she began to work. "I spoke with Agent Byrnes."

"And it did not got well." Jarod told her, judging by the look on her face.

"Not the way I was hoping, but not too bad either."

"Not bad? So you didn't get fired then? This is not worth you risking yourself Natasha." Jarod said gently. "These are dangerous people you are dealing with, people who will stop at nothing to get what they want, they hurt people and destroy lives every day without so much as a second thought. Your position here will not protect you."

"I'm not risking myself. I don't think he was too surprised to know I found out though."

"He is a savvy man, a good man." Jarod said, looking over to the office, knowing he had been the one protecting him from Lyle's excesses.

"I know he is. He is a wonderful person Jarod, he really is. Sometimes though he just has to do bad things to get the result we need, things he doesn't want to be doing."

Jarod was going to miss it here, miss the feeling of doing something good, of being part of a real team, being treated with respect. He was going to miss her. He looked at her for a few moments and then down at his work. "We need to finish this report off."

"We do, but I need to talk to you very seriously for a moment." Tasha put her hand on his gently.

She had that look on her face and he knew whatever it was it was troubling her.

"I don't want you to go back there, so if you are willing, Agent Byrnes will do what he can so you can stay here." She said slowly, watching his reaction carefully.

He narrowed his eyes at her for a moment. "Are you serious?" He whispered, making sure Lyle was well out of earshot. He had held some faint hope that they might help him, he didn't think it was realistic though.

Glancing back to Lyle still on the other side of room, apparently bored with Jarod now, Tasha looked back at him. "Deadly serious. Of course there are a few... rules I guess, but very serious."

"Let me guess," Jarod said, laughing a little bitterly.

Pulling her hand back from his, Natasha folded her arms, "Go on and guess."

"I work for you and agree to remain your 'guest'?"

"Almost, but not quite."

"I suppose I can't know everything then can I?" He tried to joke.

Ignoring his lame joke, Natasha looked at him. "You will work for us, but you will get paid, just like we all do. You will be an Agent, you will get sick days and annual leave, days off. A real normal job. But the catch is, you will need to stay on level 4 in one of the apartments in there for your safety. I suppose if you want to risk it, you can live outside, but I'm just scared the Centre will come after you. At least in here you are safe. If you stay in here, you still can go outside when you want, as long as it's on your breaks."

"That is a generous offer Natasha, and I appreciate it." Jarod smiled warmly at her. He knew though that it wouldn't be like that at all, if they were going to keep him, they would be keeping him. He knew enough to know that the government had a deal worked out with the Centre, allowing them to operate as long as they did their dirty work for them. They might not have offered any help in the pursuit, not risking knowledge leaking into the more traditional departments. He didn't doubt for a second though that they would just give up an asset as valuable as he could prove to be, not unless the rewards were greater than the losses, Still, being treated like a real person and doing work that was good was a damned sight better than what he was looking at hone he returned.

"Think about it, I will get your answer tonight at the party. Because if you say yes, Agent Byrnes will need to iron out the details then do what he can to get it ok'ed."

"I will," Jarod told her, wondering if this really would be a better life for him. He had almost given up hope of escaping the Centre now, months and months had gone by and he had begun to realise that if he was getting out, unless they did something monumentally stupid, it might not be for a very long time.

"Good, now move your arse and help me finish all these off." She shot him a brilliant smile. "The sooner these are done, the sooner we can get ready for the party."

"Only if you have a donut stashed around here somewhere," He bargained with her.

"Coffee?" She asked as she stood up, "You know, you're gonna get fat with all these donuts."

Jarod patted his flat belly, which was more than a little sunken. "Not me."

Laughing, looking at her flat, small stomach, patting it, "And to think, I need at least an hour in the gym everyday to look like this. It's not fair, not at all."

Jarod smiled at her. "I would kill for an hour in the gym right now." He said wistfully.

"I don't know if we have one on this floor, I can find out for you though. Maybe after the party tonight we can go."

Jarod shook his head. "There is still much to do, a few more days won't kill me."

Moving off for a moment, she grabbed two coffees and a few donuts. Putting them down in front of Jarod, taking a sip of her own coffee, "I will take you to the gym we have here though, sooner or later."

"Sounds great, especially if they have a pool." Jarod stretched and took a break to eat and enjoy his coffee.

"We do," She grinned at Jarod, "But that is on a different level, so is the main gym. But I will talk to Agent Byrnes, see what we can do." If Jarod ended up taking the offer, he would have free access to the gym and pool and could use it all he liked.

"I love to swim." Jarod smiled, thinking about it.

"I don't swim often, but it is nice." Tash agreed as she sipped her coffee, working at the same time.

Lyle moved over to Jarod when he got the number of one of the women here, planning on having some fun later with her. Seeing Jarod with a coffee about to take a sip, Lyle pulled it from his hands and drunk it himself. "Nice coffee, not the best, but not too bad."

Jarod looked up at him, but remained silent, not wanting to cause a scene. "I am trying to work."

"Then what's stopping you rat?" Lyle arched a brow, drinking Jarod's coffee.

Jarod wondered if he had stored up enough kudos to just deck him right in front of everyone, including the two guards that were trying to be unobtrusive as they watched him.

Cuffing him across the back of his head, "Well? Get back to it Jarod. I want to get you back to the Centre some time this year."

"Keep your hands off of him." Natasha growled, standing up to face him, Jarod in the middle of them. Now she knew what really went on with Jarod, what she guessed Lyle had been doing to him, she wasn't about to let him be so cruel to him here.

"Please don't Natasha," Jarod said, staring at Lyle, having had enough of his crap. He was tired and in no mood fro this right now.

"Get back to work this instant Jarod, I will not tell you again." He eyed the broad up and down, "Nice," He nodded in satisfaction. "Care to join me for drinks later." Lyle asked her in a charming, smooth voice.

"I am telling you Lyle to back off right now." Jarod warned.

"Got a thing for the pretty lady?" Lyle asked in amusement, "Didn't think you would even know what to do with a woman like that."

"Just walk away Natasha," Jarod said softly, his temper beginning to get the better of him.

Instead of walking, she sat back down next to Jarod. "Just ignore him, he will lose interest sure enough, small minded creatures always do." She shot at Lyle, picking her pen up again, "Jarod, read this, what do you think?"

Jarod took a long deep calming breath and did as she suggested, keeping a very tight reign on himself as he sat back down, doing his best to ignore Lyle.

"Such a pretty one isn't she?" Lyle whispered in Jarod's ear, "What I wouldn't do to take her to my cabin out in the woods and have some fun with her."

"You bastard," Jarod growled and launched himself up at Lyle, tackling him easily to the ground with a snarl, of rage.

"Jarod!" Natasha called in surprise, but was too late to stop the guards hitting Jarod at the base of his neck with the butt of the gun. They had taken the unexpected, fast attack as a threat, and doing their jobs, dealt with it.

Almost blacking out at the unexpected blow, so intent on killing Lyle that he hadn't even seen or heard them approaching. He groaned in pain and half collapsed on top of Lyle, his world spinning.

Lyle shoved the man off angrily. Standing up, he laid a brutal kick into Jarod's side. "Keep your filthy hands off me." He warned, ignoring the looks from the few people around them.

"Back off now," Natasha seethed darkly, watching the two guards step between Jarod and Lyle. Bending down next to Jarod, she carefully helped him to sit up, "Jarod? Jarod? Are you alright?" She asked in worry.

"Fine, I'm fine," Jarod groaned, feeling dizzy and his head was throbbing.

Nat gently felt the back of his neck and winced at the nasty bump already forming and the slight moisture, thinking he must have gotten a bit of a cut from the butt of the gun. "Come on Jarod, let's take you to the medics." She tried to haul him up, having to get a guard to help her. Ducking under his arm, "Stay away Mr Lyle," She looked at one guard who blocked Lyle from coming, the other guard helped her walk Jarod out.

"I am fine, don't fuss," Jarod said, regretting the foolish action already. He was having trouble walking though and his vision was blurred.

"Don't lie to me." She scowled as she and the guard helped Jarod walk slowly down to the medic room. Walking in, she sat Jarod on the small cot. "Patient for you."

"Let's see, what have we got here?" The medic moved over to inspect Jarod's wound.

"Hit with the butt of a gun," Tash filled in. "He had trouble getting up and walking."

"Could be a concussion." He mused, probing it gently, wiping away the small amount of blood. He examined Jarod's responses, trying to decide if they needed to call a real doctor in or not.

Natasha took Jarod's hand as the medic checked his reflexes, eyes and heart rate along with a few other things. "Come on genius, are you concussed?"

"No, but I am going to have a nasty headache for a day or two." Jarod muttered.

The medic looked up and nodded. "I would concur with that diagnosis."

"Are you dizzy? Anything blurred? Looking a bit black? Isn't that signs of a concussion?" Natasha worried over him

"I know what they are, I have been a doctor," Jarod chuckled a little and then wincing at the pain that shot through his head.

"Be careful." She scolded him, holding his head forward as the medic slapped on an ice pack. Holding it there for Jarod, she looked at him, "What possessed you to do such a stupid thing as to attack Lyle?"

"I had just had enough of him." He told the half truth.

"What did he whisper in your ear?" Tash asked instead, holding the icepack to the bump, hoping it would go down.

"To get back to work, and stop back chatting him."

"And that made you attack him?" She scoffed, "Come on Jarod, I may not be a 'prodigy' or anything like you but I know enough to know you wouldn't have attacked him for that."

"He made a comment, a reference about you." Jarod finally admitted.

"I think I rather him ordering you to get back to work and stop back chatting," Nat whispered, visually shivering at thought of Lyle saying things about her. "But thank you Jarod anyway. It was very stupid, but very sweet of you."