Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:
Dislcaimer. Dont own them

Authors note: Sorry for the delay in a update. First it was chirssy, then new years, work in btw, then birthdays then a format lol, so really been busy. but here it is now and another chap will be posted soon. Enjoy!

Chapter thirteen...

"I had a sheltered upbringing," Jarod said as if it was no big deal.

"Well then, I guess when this is over, you and me will need to have a Peanuts session won't we? Introduce you to the gang."

“Sounds like a plan." Jarod smiled a little, wishing he could do just that. When this was over though, for him, it was back to his nightmare.

Lyle stormed in, followed by two guards, wishing they could have brought his sweepers. "On your feet now!” Lyle barked loudly, having waited 45 minutes for them to get back, “Get back to your work."

"The boss beckons," Jarod said with a crooked smile as he stood up. It was very hard for him to pretend that it was normal, but he didn’t want to deepen her suspicions. He still had to work with these people, needed them to trust him, trust his judgement.

Natasha stood up as well and looked at the man, looking cold and angry. "He shouldn’t talk to you like that, he has no right." Tasha said loud enough for the other man to hear. Who the hell did he think he was treating Jarod this way, speaking to him as if he were some sub-human?

"Trust me sweetheart," Lyle purred, plastering on a charming smile, "I have all the right in the world."

"Don’t Natasha," Jarod whispered, moving away from her, wanting Lyle nowhere near her.

Looking between the two men, Tasha stood tall, pulling on her Agent facade. "While in our building Sir, you will respect Jarod." She ordered him before brushing past the two men and walking back to the workroom.

Jarod couldn't help but smile a little at that and although it would make no difference, he appreciated her trying.

Lyle cuffed Jarod over the back of the head, “Get back to work.” He ordered him smoothly.

Jarod scowled at him and then moved out of his reach, making his way back to the table.

"What gave you the idea that you could possibly be allowed this long with out working rat?" Lyle asked almost friendly.

"Time just ran away on us," Jarod said, ignoring the name calling.

“Something you won't be doing for a very, very long time, if ever." Lyle said cruelly, walking him back to his table. Pushing him down in his seat almost gently. “Get back to it."

“You are pretty sure about that Mr Lyle." Jarod muttered.

"Work, or you might end up killing all those innocent people." Lyle threatened softly. “I am sure that will make you feel so good to know you practically murdered them all.”

"I know what is at stake here," Jarod sighed, adding a silent you idiot.

Watching them, not at all pleased, Natasha got up and went to Byrnes again, “Sir?"

“Yes Blake?" Byrnes said, not looking up as he ran the final figures. They were making a series of arrest tonight and hopefully this would lead to a major breakthrough.

"Who is Jarod really Sir?" She asked softly, watching Lyle with the man, hating it, always had. There was no need for the way he harassed Jarod.

"What do you mean?” He looked up at her.

"He says he is a consultant, but I can't access his files, and I would be able to if he was just a simple consultant. He has done more work since he has been here for just over a week than we all managed to do in three months, he has 'Mr' Lyle hovering around him always, bossing him about."

“And this bothers you?" Byrnes gave her his full attention now. "We are in the information business Agent Blake, spies. Does it surprise you that he might be an enigma?" Byrnes had been waiting for this conversation from someone since day one.

“Yes it does." She said honestly. "I do not like secrets, I do not like not knowing information. Knowledge is power, it’s what we prove every day here, and it makes me feel vulnerable not knowing who I am working with."

“And you think he represents a threat?" Byrnes asked, not liking the direction this was going.

"No, not at all. He is a very nice guy, genuinely wants to help, and seems so innocent. I just do not like knowing. He isn’t a 'normal' person, he doesn’t know things about everyday life, pop culture. There is just something odd about him."

"I see," Byrnes said, nodding. "Do you think it is impacting on his ability to finish the work?"

"No," Nat shook her head, growing frustrated. "Don’t you ever feel like you’re not getting something? That there is some information that could be useful to you and others if you just knew?"

“You mean like the situation we have found ourselves in for the last 3 months?"

She knew now he wouldn’t tell her anything and just nodded, “Yes Sir, I will get back to work." But every single second of the day out of work, Natasha would search, find who Jarod really was.

“Good, we are so close now I can smell it."

They had four men in custody now, and Byrnes wanted Jarod to see them, talk to them but there was no way they could bring them here. The plane would be landing and delivering them to the cell block on the floor below this one and Byrnes had every intention of taking Jarod down. He knew he was also a profiler and who knew what else and he would know best how to interrogate them. Lyle was going to be a problem though and Byrnes wondered if justifiable homicide might not be the case here.

Lyle looked up from his dinner as Byrnes walked in, it was very late at night, Jarod already asleep in his bed. “Agent."

"Mr Lyle." Byrnes smiled at him briefly. “Sorry to disturb you dinner. We need to talk."

Pushing his plate away, Lyle stood, “About Jarod I assume." The agent never spoke to him about anything else but Jarod.

“Yes, and the mission." Byrnes said slowly, gauging his reaction. He didn’t want to completely alienate these people, but he needed what he needed. It was a very fine line he was walking and he didn’t like it at all. He had made plenty of compromises in the pursuit of keeping his country safe, doing his duty, and he didn’t regret any of them, would do them time and time again. This was different though, and he hated it,

“You got Jarod for the extra week, what more do you want. You are not having him any longer."

"Hopefully we won't need him much longer. We need to talk about tomorrow morning though."

“And what is tomorrow morning?"

"We have suspects arriving and I want Jarod to be there for some of the interrogation." Byrnes said slowly.

Lyle nodded slowly, “So he gets to play with more people, seems to make no difference to what I have told you so far.”

"They will be on the floor below us.” He waited for his reaction, which no doubt would be melodramatic.

“You told us he does not leave this floor. Do you know how much of a risk you are taking to even think about letting him off this floor?" Lyle asked seriously but calmly. “This will be a huge chance for Jarod to get away.”

"I really didn't think it would be necessary for him to leave the floor. The security wing is one level down and has even more security than this level. He will be accompanied by as many guards as you see fit."

"I want at least five on him, I want those cuffs and shackles of yours with no key holes on him. And I will be coming as well." Lyle said firmly, not giving him a way out.

"Of course Mr Lyle." Byrnes nodded in agreement. He wouldn't let him in the actual interrogation, but he would allow this to appease him. He didn’t want Lyle seeing the suspects or them seeing him. Byrnes didn’t even like Lyle being privy to all the information he had seen so far, not that he seemed even the slightest bit interested in anything.

“And for letting him off this level, I also want five shackles and cuffs, the ones you have designed here, to take back with me.” If they could get their hands on those cuffs, it would go a long way to keeping Jarod more secure back home.

"They will be no good to you Mr Lyle, they do not unlock outside of this building." Byrnes did not like the thought of letting that technology into his hands. He also knew though that he had promised Miss Parker some special considerations because of his broken promise.

"Make them so we can set the secure area the Centre."

He thought about that for a moment, knowing how interested Miss Parker had been in them too. "Very well,” he said after a moment. "I will talk to our guys in Op–Tech and see if it can be done.” It was a small concession to keep the peace after all.

"Excellent. Now with Jarod tomorrow, what time will you need him? I suggest that if you are going to get Jarod to help 'talk' to these suspects of yours, that you give Jarod time alone in his room first with their files."

"They will be arriving 0700 and will be processed and ready for interrogation by 0800. He probably knows more about them than we do already."

"I will have Jarod up at 5, give him time to think this over, how he wants to do it, then have him ready for transportation at 0730." Lyle said, wanting this to go well, get them to admit everything so they could go home.

"I want him to wear a suit, I want him to appear as one of the head agents." Byrnes told him, waiting for the protests.

“And if these are your guys, we can leave straight afterwards?"

"That will depend on what is revealed Mr Lyle. Things are looking very promising though and I am hoping to put an end to this quickly now, for everyone's sake.” Byrnes told him. He knew if he had to put up with Lyle too much longer, there might just be a very unfortunate accident.

"If these turn out to be the people you want, then we are gone as soon as you have everything you need, or at the end of this second week. No more negotiations."

“Agreed," Byrnes said smoothly. If these were the people they wanted then he would have no trouble keeping that promise. If they weren’t then he had some serious decisions to make.

“Get him his suit then, make sure your men, at least five, bring those cuffs and shackles. If they do not, Jarod goes nowhere." Lyle reminded him, refusing to let Jarod off this level with out proper security.

"Fair enough." Byrnes agreed again, thinking that had gone easier than he thought. "I will leave you then to your rest, I suspect it will be a very long day for everyone tomorrow.” He could have just locked Lyle in the room and let Jarod do his thing. He hoped though to save some shred of the relationship between their department and the Centre after all this was over and this small concession might soothe Lyle somewhat.

Nodding, Lyle watched him, waiting for him to leave. He needed to get to a phone, call his dear old twin and fill her in, tell her to be prepared in case they wouldn’t let Lyle bring Jarod back, again.

Lyle had woken Jarod up at 5 am to re-read all the files, he had had his breakfast already and Lyle opened the door as there was a knock. It was 7 am, nearly time for him to go. Grabbing the suit, Lyle shut the door, “Shower, now."

Wasting no time, Jarod moved into the shower and washed and shaved himself. It had been many months since he had put on a suit, and it felt strange as he did up his tie. He had been allowed casual clothing in her, which was a welcome relief. If today went well, then they would be wrapping up soon and he would need to talk with Byrnes before it was too late. He was not ordinarily fond of suits, but it would be nice to feel that he actually fit in for once. It also helped him to immerse himself in the role. Jarod had always found that putting on the clothes of the person he was becoming really helped and as he looked in the mirror now, he easily looked like an overworked and stressed out agent.

Lyle left him for a moment and went into his room, grabbing his cologne. He needed Jarod to be just like a top Agent, and that meant expensive cologne. As much as he loathed letting Jarod use it, Lyle needed this to go well. He was sick to hell of this place. Moving back into Jarod's room, he splashed some into his hands before none too gently slapping it onto Jarod's face.

Jarod closed his eyes and offered no protest, too intent on today’s job to let Lyle bother him. He knew Lyle was having a very hard time being stuck here, especially with the restrictions he had to live with and that was just fine by Jarod. In fact, he wouldn’t mind if he had to stay here for a lot longer, it was far more pleasant and the people were nice, and most of all he felt like he was doing something positive, making a real difference.

When Jarod seemed ready, Lyle eyed him up and down. “You better not screw this up Jarod."

Jarod looked at him and just shook his head. "Do you really think I don't understand what is at stake here?"

“Get back and read those files again." Lyle ordered, shoving Jarod down onto the bed.

Sitting back down at the desk, Jarod leafed idly through the profiles he had built up and wondered if he would be just directing the interrogations and watching or would actually be conducting them. All there was to do for now was wait and do his best to pretend Lyle wasn't hovering. He knew almost everything there was to know about these people, probably things they didn’t know about themselves and now all he had to do was find a way to break through their fanaticism and break them, and do it quickly.

When 0730 came, on the dot the room opened and five guards walked in over to Jarod. "Time to go pretender."

Jarod looked at the men and wondered if they really thought he was that dangerous or could possibly escape . saying nothing, he collected his files, stood up and brushed down his suit and moved towards them. Seemed they were taking no risks with him and he was just glad that there was barely anyone here to see his humiliation.

Grabbing Jarod's arm, Lyle pulled him forward out of the room to the waiting Byrnes. "Let’s get this done already. This game is getting old."

"This is no game Mr Lyle." Byrnes assured him, leading the group to the only exit point, which was very heavily secured at all times. He had decided to let Lyle supervise this, hoping it would soften the blow when he refused to let him near Jarod during the interrogations.

Natasha had gotten there early, having found something on Jarod, finding it very disturbing. She had wanted to go to his room to talk to him, only to see it guarded and the red light above the door to indicate it was securely locked. But when the men walked in, she had hid around the corner and gone back to the door, thinking she best just go up to her office for a while, not to arouse suspicion. But now they were at the door, she stood back and just waited, watching.

When they got to the door, Lyle looked at Byrnes, "restrain him."

"Why don't you take care of that Mr Lyle?" Byrnes offered him.

Jarod looked from Byrnes to Lyle and sighed. It seemed they were taking no chances at all. He had done a survey of their security, as best he could, and he had to admit it was very impressive. He suspected it had weaknesses, everything always did, but he was yet to find any.

Lyle smiled and took the cuffs and shackles off of the guard and smiled evilly at Jarod. Bending down, Lyle snapped on the shackles, doing them up as tight as possible, swearing that if they walked too far, they would cut and bruise his ankles. Covering his pants over them as best as he could, Lyle stood up. Grabbing his wrists roughly, he cuffed them, though hardly as tight this time. Just tight enough for him not to be able to get out, not enough to hurt. The last thing they needed for this interrogation was for the suspects to see marks on Jarod's wrists. It might ruin the whole thing and he wouldn’t get home soon enough.