Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the extreme lateness. Hope you all like.

Should be regular updates from now on (wrote a note to myself *nods head*) 


Byrnes knew that he was going to have to watch him very closely and he hated that. This man should be focused on one thing, and one thing only, getting the job done. He had never had the misfortune to work with someone that was so unprofessional before. Given the amount of politicians and petty bureaucrats he had had to work with to get this department started, some of them showing a level of incompetence that was unbelievable, that was really saying something. He led him to the heart of the operation, Jarod in the middle of what looked like a small disaster area.

Lyle moved over to Jarod once he was in the room and stood right next to him again and ran a hand over his cheek. Bending down to Jarod a little, “I will behave for now Jarod.” He whispered loudly. “So take this little holiday, it’s the last one you will ever get." Pulling back, Lyle stood straight again. To get this over and done with, Lyle would do what the Agent said. But when they got back, Jarod was going in for some very serious re-education.

Jarod barely acknowledged his presence, just freezing for a moment before getting on with what he was doing. It had bee a foolish hope that Lyle might be locked in his room for the duration.

Looking at Byrnes, his glare cold, Lyle turned back to Jarod and continued to watch him working, resisting his urge to smack the pretender.

Byrnes looked at Lyle and thought if he didn't back off he was just going to shoot the useless bastard and throw his carcass out with the rubbish. He doubted very much that anyone would miss him and Parker would be in his debt for securing her position. It was a very tempting thought.

As Jarod worked, Lyle took a small step back, not knowing if Byrnes would crack the shits with him, and try to pull him off again. Lyle hated that he had to do as the man told him, but he would not risk losing Jarod to these bureaucratic idiots.

Jarod breathed a little sigh of relief, although he knew that a time would come for retribution. He didn't concern himself with that right now, far too many other things to occupy his thoughts. Thinking about terrorists was more preferable than thinking about Lyle.

"Are you close to finding the answer?" Lyle asked him disinterestedly, just wanting to get back to the Centre now.

Jarod stopped to look up at him and shrugged. “It is hard to tell. We could have a breakthrough at any moment, or we could be on completely the wrong track."

“You better make sure you are on the right track. You do not want to kill thousands of innocent men, women and children do you now pretender?" Lyle asked in a sweet whisper, knowing what it would do to the genius if he failed this.

"No." Jarod said absently, brushing him off and getting back into it as if he wasn't there.

Lyle picked up one of the files and flicked it through, ignoring everyone that was around them. "Looks confusing."

"There’s a surprise," Byrnes muttered under his breath. Shaking his head in disapproval of the man.

Putting the file down, Lyle sat down next to Jarod, getting comfortable. He would try to keep Jarod working as late as he could tonight, so that Jarod would get it all done faster.

It had been a long day, but a good one, the best since arriving here and Jarod believed that he probably knew enough to tell them with about 95 assurances that he knew what the strike would be. The who, where and when was still undetermined, but they were close. He had a mental list and he was slowly whittling it down. He just didn't want to speak too soon when he wasn't certain yet. Collapsing onto the bed, he groaned softly and yawned.

As soon as the goons left Lyle alone in his room, he moved to the adjoining doors and opened it, walking in to see Jarod on the bed, “Good evening Jarod.” He smiled coldly

Jarod sighed heavily his arm over his eyes. “What do you want?"

“Mind your manners project. Sit up," Lyle ordered him, trying to control his anger at the rat. Lyle kept reminding himself to control the urge to smack the fool, he couldn’t afford to be taken from Jarod again.

“I am tired Lyle, it has been a long day." Jarod said wearily, but sat up anyway.

“Manners boy," Lyle growled. “I leave you alone for a few hours and this is how you end up?"

Jarod just looked up at him and waited for the rant to begin.

“When we get back to the Centre, you are going straight to renewal wing for re-education." Lyle threatened.

And there it was, right on cue. “Something like you had today?" Jarod couldn't help himself. It wasn’t too smart to aggravate him, but he was tired and beyond caring right now.

Smiling at Jarod, “Much worse than anything I had today."

“If you don't mind Mr Lyle, I need some sleep, Tomorrow is going to be a long day too." Jarod said tiredly.

“I do mind, another ten minutes will not break you," Lyle said politely.

“What?" Jarod sighed heavily, turning to face him. "And you are right about that Lyle."

Taking a step closer, “You will respect me project and use my correct title. I have had about enough of you, so start behaving."

“Mr Lyle." Jarod said, not in the mood for this right now.

“Go shower," Lyle ordered him, watching him.

“You want me to shower?" Jarod asked in surprise. Usually it was the other way around. Byrnes had given him back an electric razor as well, so Jarod was once again clean shaven.

"Now!" Lyle snapped, in no mood for this. Lyle knew there would be cameras in the room, but not the bathroom. Even Byrnes wouldn’t sink that low, even if Lyle would.

Getting up, Jarod stretched and moved into the bathroom, wondering what this was really about.

Following him in, Lyle shut the door behind him. “Some private time, just what we need."

Jarod turned to face him, too tired for this now. If Lyle tried anything he would just deck him and be done with it.

"Aren’t you going to have a shower?" Lyle asked sweetly, pasting on his most smooth smile.

“You turned into a pervert now as well?" Jarod just looked at him, having no intention of giving him a free peep show.

"Just want you to shower, you reek pretender. You need to wash the filth off of you."

“What filth?" Jarod asked. "Look, Mr Lyle, why don't you just give it up for now? Have some dignity."

“You’re a lab rat, you are always covered in filth. You’re no good to anyone as a person and you have to whore out your abilities just to live. You're always filthy." Lyle seethed.

Jarod laughed hollowly at him. “If that is the best you got Mr Lyle, then I am going to bed."

Lyle's anger snapped, having been holding it all in since he got here really. Throwing one punch to Jarod's solar plexus, not hard enough for the skin to bruise, but hard enough to force every single breath of air out of his lungs.

Jarod doubled over, gasping for breath, too tired to have dodged the punch, his reflexes too slow to respond. He coughed and spluttered, bracing himself on the sink. “You get that one for free, touch me in here again and you will be sorry." Jarod ground out.

Lyle smiled as Jarod struggled for breath and grabbed a fist full of hair and yanked his head up to look down on him. "And you are the one who will be sorry when we get home.” He whispered threateningly before pushing Jarod away and walking out.

“Maybe," Jarod snorted, "But we are not home yet, are we?” He asked the empty room softly.

While Jarod was in the bathroom catching his breath, Lyle picked up the photo of his mother that sat on his bed side table. Pulling out the lighter he had put in his pocket with all intention of doing this earlier, Lyle held the photo up and put the flame to it. Watching as it burnt, Lyle blew the flame out, leaving ash on the bedside table and the corner of the photo with a bit of red hair, so Jarod would know what it was. Smiling in satisfaction, Lyle walked back into his room. He may not physically be able to hurt Jarod, but there were plenty of ways to crush him that didn’t need violence.

When Jarod came out, he smelt something and saw the tiny pile of ashes and he picked up the corner and stormed to the door, banging on it. “You son of a bitch!” He screamed through the door, not knowing if Lyle could hear him or not.

Lyle looked up as he heard him screaming and moved to the door and smiled sweetly at him, “Something the matter pretender?" He asked in a smooth, sweet voice.

“You are going to pay Lyle." Jarod vowed, staring at him.

“Go to bed Jarod, as you said, you have a big day tomorrow.” He smirked at him before turning and walking off, aware that was the only copy Jarod had of that photo.

It had been five days over the initial week and Jarod had put enough together now to know it was going to be a biological strike and he had a short list of suspects which they were now rounding up. They should have some people to interrogate within the next 24 hours. Then they would know if he had been right or not. Still, while they were waiting, there was much work to be done. He picked up the cup of coffee, cold by now and took a sip, wincing as he tasted it.

Natasha noticed the grimace on Jarod's face as he drunk the coffee. Grabbing a new one for him and a plate with a few doughnuts on them, Natasha moved over to him, ignoring Mr Lyle who was, as always, standing right next to him. "Excuse me Mr Jarod?"

“Yes Natasha?" Jarod smiled as he looked up at her. “Please, call me Jarod.” They were pretty formal towards him and he guessed that was because he was not really part of their team. Nevertheless, he had enjoyed working with all of these people, even though they mostly stayed away from him. He guessed that was partly due to Lyle hovering all the time, and also because he was an interloper in their territory.

Eyeing Mr Lyle off with a glare, she sat down next to him on the other side of the man and put the plate and hot coffee in front of Jarod, “I got you some more." He was such a great guy, it was just too bad Mr Lyle seemed to love hovering around him and making him miserable.

“Great, thank you," Jarod smiled warmly at her. "That really hits the spot."

“Can never have too much coffee or sugar," Tasha smiled at him, finding him awfully cute, even though he was pretty skinny and pale looking.

“Words of wisdom." Jarod smiled at her, taking a moment to stretch and then sipped the hot coffee. “Mnnn, nice and sweet, just the way I like it."

“I have been watching you," Natasha grinned at him, paying attention to how he took his coffee, how he worked, what he did best. But she realised how it must have sounded and her face covered in blush, “I didn't mean it like that."

Jarod reached out and touched her arm. “I know what you mean.” He said with a warm smile. It was so good to have normal interaction again. Even in these circumstances.

Natasha melted as he touched her arm, knowing she had a crush on him, hating it because it made her feel like a teenager. He was just so smart and cute, Tasha couldn’t help herself. "How is it coming along? We have all been working our butts off on this, but you, my god Jarod, you have been doing more work than us all."

Jarod shook his head. “I couldn’t have done what I did if you hadn't have already done all the groundwork.” He told her, finishing off the first donut and reaching for a second. "Not as good as Miami, but pretty good."

Laughing softly, taking his notebook, Tasha began to read through it, “I have never had a Miami doughnut before did you know? I have heard they are the best in the world."

"Really?” He smiled, "These are pretty good too. Miami is a great town though."

“Maybe one day, after all this I over, you can show me." Natasha asked, knowing she was young compared to Jarod at 27 years old. Nobody really knew much about the man, just that he was from out of town and had Mr Lyle to 'look' after him. The mystery that surrounded Jarod though only made her more interested in him.

Jarod smiled tightly at her. “Maybe.” He nodded. “I would like that very much." Jarod knew that would never happen of course, but it was nice to think about.

Lyle was listening and snorted at that, smiling cruelly at Jarod but said nothing.

“Where exactly are you from? What do you do? No one knows you around here Jarod, you’re kinda of a little mystery to all of us.” She asked, grabbing a pen and continued to work on some of the files on Jarod's workspace.

"Nothing really to tell. I am a special consultant and I guess I just consult.” He wondered how many of them knew the circumstances of him being here, whether they knew he was a prisoner, and if they did, had they been told he was a dangerous criminal or something like that. He had no doubt every single one of them was a good Agent, working for the good of the country and he wondered how many of them would worry about his Constitutional rights if he could get the job done.

“Well you're doing a damn good job at consulting." Tasha complimented him with a dazzling smile. "How does this fit in with your theory?” She asked, pushing over a file with red bits underlined.

Jarod smiled back at her and read through her notes. She was an exceptionally good analyst, and he nodded. "This is good work Natasha, very good.” He jotted down some of his own notes. “I really think we are finally headed in the right direction."

"That’s wonderful news Jarod. You have no idea how hard we have been working, before you even got here. We all will be so pleased when we finally work this out and stop it from happening." No one had a life right now, or even for the past few months. This was their life, they worked, slept and breathed this.

“I know, and I do know how hard you have all worked and the next 24 hours should tell us if it was all for nothing or not." Jarod told her knowing they didn’t understand how he could do what he did.

“It won't be for nothing Jarod. All this work, all the extra hours and the extra men we have brought in, all of it will be for something. I have to believe we can stop this from happening again Jarod, I have to. If I don't, I think I might just break down and go insane."

“Well we can't have that now can we?" Jarod asked her with a smile.

Smiling a little at him, Natasha nodded, “Want to come outside for a quick break with me?"

Jarod shook his head. “I better not, I really should finish this up.” He said, wanting to go outside with her more than just about anything right now.

“Come on, just a 20 minute break. You might go insane if you sit here any longer. I will go ask Agent Byrnes.” She smiled at him, patting his hand and got up. If he was here consulting, Tash figured he might not have complete access to the building and their locations. Moving over to the Agent who was supervising everyone, and at the same time, trying to work on this problem as well. "Agent Byrnes?"

“Yes Agent Blake?" Byrnes said, looking up at her. They were close, he could feel it. Jarod had been working almost around the clock and it was awe inspiring to watch him. He had never seen anybody ever get that into anything before. There was an intensity about him that seemed preternatural sometimes and it made Brynes wonder if they weren’t further advanced in genetic engineering than was commonly known. He had heard the term ‘polymath’ before but had figure that they were a bit of a myth from hundreds of years ago. Whatever Jarod was though, he was beyond anything Byrnes had ever seen.

“Can Jarod and I go outside for a quick break? The poor man has been working non stop since he has gotten here."

"No I am afraid not Agent Byrnes. Jarod does not have the security clearance necessary for him to leave during mid-mission."

Closing her eyes, “Is there some where close to outside we can go for a break? If he doesn’t have the clearance to go outside, it means he has been here nearly two weeks without sun or fresh air. What about the green room next level up?"

"That is impossible I am afraid Agent Blake, I am sorry." Byrnes said, feeling bad about this. There was a job to do though and although he didn't believe Jarod would run, not now at least, he couldn't jeopardise this operation, not for anything. Any non–standard personnel would be treated in the same way, it was SOP and he would not risk the mission, nor his career, not for a stroll.

"A walk around the halls on this level then? He needs to stretch his legs and relax for a moment or two. So do I. It is doing no one any good being cramped up in here all day everyday. Just a little walk to clear the mind and stretch the body.”

“I can't see that being a problem, if you can drag him away that is." Byrnes smiled at that.

“I will give it a shot. We all take breaks during the day, but I have noticed, he never does. Eats his meals at his workspace even. Thank you Agent Byrnes." Tasha smiled at him before walking to Jarod and taking his hand, “Come on big guy, we are going for a wander."

“We are?" Jarod looked up at her in surprise. He wondered what she had been talking to Byrnes about, and guessed it had been about him.

"Just around the level. I was told you don't have the security clearance to leave the level in mid-mission. Sorry." But Natasha still pulled him to his feet, and began to head out the room. When the man followed, she turned to him. “We are going alone, which means, without you." Tash told him in an authoritative voice, wanting the man away from Jarod for just a little while.

Jarod wasn’t sure how Lyle was going to respond, but he was insanely grateful that she didn’t know what his real situation was, that Byrnes had protected him from that at least.

"Jarod does not leave my sight." Lyle informed her firmly.

“I am sure this once won't hurt Mr Lyle. Agent Blake can be trusted." Byrnes had walked up behind him, wanting to afford Jarod this tiny compensation. He knew Lyle and knew that he wasn’t going to let him go without making it a drama. It was going to be his pleasure to put Lyle in his place in front of Jarod.

Lyle narrowed his eyes at them. “If they are not back in ten minutes. Jarod will be very sorry.” He warned, moving back over to Jarod's desk. He hated that not many people really feared him here, they wouldn’t go near him, but they didn’t truly fear him. This was proof of that, a woman daring to tell him what is going to be done, telling him what to do.

"Thank you Agent Byrnes. Come on Jarod, lets’ have a quick break."

Jarod followed her without any further protest, letting her lead him. It was good to stretch the legs and let his brain relax for just a moment. To be almost normal again.

“Why is Mr Lyle always with you?” She asked, having tried to find a file on Jarod, but kept hitting security walls, and her clearance wasn’t high enough.

"Let’s just say that he is looking after his company's interests, namely me." Jarod said, trying to avoid a complex explanation and lies.

That just puzzled her even more. “Care to explain what you really do Jarod and why I can't access your files?"

“You tried to look at my file?" Jarod asked in bemusement. He knew they must have had a very extensive file on him, and he also guessed it was very classified. If a Congressional Hearing ever found out about what the government was doing with the Centre, their funding would be yanked immediately and the outcry would be enormous.

"Of course I did. You're new here, half the people are new here. I like to know who I am working with. I can access all their files, but not yours. So there is something going on with you. You have me very intrigued and confused to be honest."

“What makes you so sure? Perhaps I am just above your clearance level." Jarod tried to brush it off.

“I have one of the highest clearance levels here. There is only a very few things I can't get to, and you are trying to find ways not to tell me. So obviously there has to be something." Tasha smiled at him sweetly.

“It is just my company protecting themselves." Jarod tried to tell her as if it were no big deal at all. "A bit of mystery makes things exciting though doesn't it?"

“More annoying,” She smiled at him as they just wondered aimlessly around the halls. “I don't like not knowing answers, I always find a way to get the answers to questions I keep asking myself."

“Sounds like you are quite determined." She was most likely going to have to accept disappointment on this one issue this time.

“I am,” She laughed a little, “It’s what has gotten me so high up at such a young age."

“You are very young to hold such a position. I am very sure you earned it though."

“I have worked my butt off since the get go to get here. And I love it, honestly, I couldn’t ask for a better job. I'm doing something I am good at and serving my country, what more could anyone want?" Tash looked up at him, pride shining in her eyes and her voice.

“It is a good feeling isn't it?" Jarod agreed with a smile. It felt so good to be doing something worthwhile. It made him feel like his old self for a small amount of time. It made him feel good about who he was.

"There is nothing else like it in the world." Natasha agreed with him, smiling dazzlingly at him. “Seriously Jarod, who are you really?"

“You don't give up do you?” He asked her, a little nervously now. “I am just a guy passing through that is helping you. Nothing more, nothing less."

"And you're bullshitting." Natasha pulled him into an empty room, almost like an interview room and sat Jarod down at one since of the table before sitting opposite him. “Spill it Jarod, I am not going to give up, so you might as well tell me before I dig further."

“You can dig all you want Natasha, but I am afraid you won't find very much. I am a ghost, I don't really exist." Jarod told her softly. He knew that they would have his files protected at the highest level, they couldn’t afford not to.

“What do you mean by that Jarod?” She asked him gently, reaching across the table to take his hands. It was dangerous in this line of work not to know everything about the people around her. Natasha always could find out about everyone, but Jarod she couldn’t. It made her wonder though, if he wasn’t really a terrorist or something himself.

“I mean that I am here consulting for you and when I am gone it will be like I never existed. You know the nature of this business. You know how things can be."

"No Jarod, that is not what you mean." Natasha shook her head, something was not right about him, never had been, “Why won't you tell me who you really are?"

"That is need to know and you don't need to know." Jarod said, quoting standard policy.

At least it confirmed there was something going on with him. "Ohhhhh Jarod, that’s my line not yours. Don’t you know anything?” She chuckled happily, her eyes lighting up at that.

“Sorry,” He smiled, relaxing a little. Turning serious though, he knew he had to give her something more than that, and knew he couldn’t. “I am sorry Natasha, it has to be this way. I wish it didn't."

“I guess I will have to find out some other way. But rest assured Jarod, I will find out." Natasha shot him a brilliant smile. “Want to tell me about yourself, the you that isn’t a ghost and doesn’t exist?"

"Not much to tell really. I am devoted to my work,” He shrugged not sure what he was supposed to say. Their ten minutes were over and he guessed it would be Lyle that saved him from this. Not really comfortable lying to her, he wanted to satisfy her curiosity without giving himself away.

"No I mean, who are you Jarod? Me, I love dancing, I love working. I love my cars and fixing them up in spare time, was a bit of a tomboy when I was younger. I love getting drunk and doing karaoke, love Chinese food. Now who are you Jarod?"

"A tomboy?" Jarod asked, not sure what she meant by that.

"Not a girly girl. Liked jeans and a t-shirt, doing boy things like basket ball, into the cars and the hard music. You know, tomboy." Natasha frowned a little when he didn't know.

“I see.” He nodded in understanding. “Well, I like PEZ, anything sweet really. Twinkies are my favourite, and donuts. I like the Blues. I have never tried karaoke, never been drunk and Chinese food is very good."

She couldn’t help but laugh, an honest deep laugh, something she hadn’t done for a while. “You should get drunk and do karaoke, everyone sounds good when you’re drunk."

“I am sure they do." Jarod agreed, laughing with her, allowing himself to relax a little now.

"And PEZ, I haven’t had that since I was a kid. I can't believe you eat them. I used to have a Peanuts one." Natasha had never meant a fully grown man that still ate the kids treat and it was a bit strange.

“I didn't know they came in peanuts." Jarod said, wondering how that could possibly work. "But they are very good.” He smiled. How could there be peanut PEZ and he not know about them?

Laughing again, wondering how someone so bright was so dense. "No they are PEZ, but the heads were Peanuts characters. You know, Charlie Brown and the gang?"

"The Charlie Brown Gang?” He asked, not having heard of that.

“Come on Jarod, seriously who are you? You don't know what a tomboy is, or Charlie Brown?"