Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: See Chapter 1

Wow, what can I say but thank you for all the reviews. ;-p Enjoy.

Meeting

Third meeting, the Centre

He watched as she entered the room and moved towards him.

“You know, girls mature faster than boys.”

She slid onto to the chair next to him. Her face moved closer and he wasn’t sure what was coming next. When her lips touched his, he closed his eyes in wonder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two months ago

“You ready?”

Miss Parker smiled at Ben, nodding. She had been staying at Ben’s place for the past two weeks. He didn’t mind and they spend most of their time talking about her mother. She preferred it that way. It kept the memories of Jarod’s death from her thoughts.

When she had woken in the Centre infirmary, she had quietly wept. Afterwards she had felt refreshed and had dressed herself and left without saying a word to either Sydney or Broots. Lyle had intercepted her just as she had reached her car. She still remembers the harsh words that had flowed between them until she had pulled her gun and placed it against Lyle’s chest. Her brother must have finally understood the depth of her grief and anger, for her lifted his hands and stepped away. She would have pulled the trigger if he had pushed and he knew that. She had gotten into her car and had driven off, leaving him staring coldly after her. She didn’t care anymore.

Ben had decided to take her to a small restaurant with some friends of his, insisting that she needed to put some fun back into her life. She had balked at first at the idea of seeing other people but in the end had relented. Ben had already done so much for her; the least she could do was indulge him for one night.

As they stepped outside, she shivered slightly. Although she was dressed warmly, it was getting colder in the evenings with winter only a month away. She thanked Ben when he held the door for her. They drove in a comfortable silence and Miss Parker didn’t mind the quiet. Despite her earlier protestations, she was starting to look forward to the night.

The restaurant was idyllic, set amongst towering trees that surrounded it. It seemed like an inn out of a fairy tale and she was entranced.

“Your mother used to love this place.”

“She had never mentioned it to me.”

Ben smiled, reminiscing. “She always said that this was her special place where she could escape her life. It was her fantasy come true and she wanted to share it with you someday.”

They entered the house and were met by the owner with a hug and a big grin. Taken aback by his openness, she barely returned the hug. He showed them to a table set in a corner by big bay windows. Candles were flickering on the grass outside, creating shadows against the trunks that stood close to the house. The setting should have instilled fear but instead she felt oddly comforted by the light that glowed softly.

“Susan and Paul should be here shortly. They are bringing someone with them that they are looking after for a bit.” Ben said while he helped her out of her coat and slid out a chair for her.

“Are they foster parents?”

“Something like that. They sometimes help out at the hospital and look after people whose families are too far away to come and visit everyday. Now and again, they take one of the patients to their home for a little fattening from the hospital food.”

She smiled in amusement, imaging a skinny man walking into a home and coming out overweight on the other side. Ben stood and she watched as a couple his age approached their table. They greeted and she was introduced to Susan and Paul O’Connell. She could see the love they shared between each other in the small touches they continually gave each other and for a brief moment she was jealous. She remember asking her mother once if she would ever find that kind of love and she had though that with Tommy she had until the day she had found him shot on her front porch. That day a part of her soul had died. When Susan asked her in jest if Ben was at least providing her with enough food, she grinned and replied that she had at least put on five pounds since she had arrived. Taken from her dark thoughts, she decided to enjoy the love that surrounded her.

“Where’s John?”

“He’s on his way. The poor man wanted to enjoy the stars for a bit. He hasn’t been outside his room in the hospital since he had been brought in.”

“What happened to him?” Miss Parker asked out of curiosity.

“Don’t really know. We never really ask, unless the patients tell us. Oh, look. There he is.”

Miss Parker shifted, watching a man make his way slowly to where they were sitting. He was a tall man, with dark hair that curled around his ears. When he passed a lighted area where the shadows didn’t mask his face she nearly gasped when she could see his features. The left side of his face was scarred, not badly but bad enough that she knew that he would always favour his right.

“Sorry I’m late. I…I just needed to see the sky for a bit.”

“It’s ok, John. Why don’t you sit down?”

John smiled politely at Miss Parker and Ben, before taking his seat. He became aware of Miss Parker staring at him and he looked up into her blue eyes.

“Is something wrong?” he asked self-consciously, turning so that his right faced her more.

Miss Parker smiled to reassure the man. “I’m sorry. You just remind me of someone I used to know.”

“Do you know a lot of disfigured people?”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean…,” she trailed off, suddenly unsure of what to say. She had never apologised for her actions or words before and now she had done it twice in so many seconds. John seemed to sense her embarrassment and he extended his hand, taking hers. He brown eyes gazed into hers with compassion.

“It’s ok, Miss Parker. I’ve made my peace with the scarring. I think it enhances my other side, don’t you,” he remarked lightly, giving her hand a small squeeze before letting go.

The rest of the table, including Miss Parker, smiled at his statement. With the tenseness broken, they enjoyed the rest of the evening. Miss Parker found that she was relaxed in the stranger’s company. He was intelligent and well read and consequently their conversation ranged across diverse subjects. She was unaware of the knowing looks that Ben and the O’Connell’s shared and just before coffee, the older people excused themselves. Miss Parker and John sat in companionable silence, sipping their coffee as they watched the light flicker outside.

“Do you want to go sit on the grass?” John asked; a longing in his eyes that she didn’t miss.

“I think it’s a bit cold for that, don’t you?”

“I can ask Mike to give as some blankets. I just want to look at the stars. They’re really beautiful, especially when the cold air clears the sky of pollution.”

She didn’t have the heart to deny him. The man must have had a hard life, especially with the scarring on his face. She agreed and his face lit up with joy. He left the table excited, telling her that he’ll be back shortly.

“You’re ready?”

Her thoughts must have been a million miles away and she almost didn’t hear him. She was really beautiful and he had no idea whether she felt sorry for him or genuinely liked him. He didn’t care which, but knowing that even if it’s just for tonight, he had her attention. She stood and he helped her put her coat on. With the blankets over his arm, he led the way outside. He placed one the blankets on the grass and helped her to sit before carefully folding one on the thicker ones around her shoulders. For a brief moment their hands touched and to him it felt like electricity coursing through his skin. Clearing his throat, he seated himself next to her, folding the remaining blanket around his own shoulders.

He stared up at the starry expanse but he was very much aware of Miss Parker. He closed his eyes briefly and inhaled the aroma of her perfume before looking up and pointing to a set of stars.

“If you ever lose your way, they will help to guide you home.”

Miss Parker leaned closer, following his pointing finger until she could finally make out the points of light his was indicating. Bittersweet memories of Tommy intruded and she moved back from his side and pulled the blanket tighter around her body.

“Is anything wrong, Miss Parker?”

Pulling her legs up, she held on to them and leaned her head against her arm. Internally debating on the wisdom of getting to know the stranger so soon after her leaving the Centre, she decided that there was every chance that she would never see him again. What the hell, it’s not as if she was a virgin and to be truthful, she was relaxed for the first time since she had left. Settled, she asked, “Tell me about yourself.”

“I’m not really all that interesting to know. I’m just a regular, boring guy.” His gaze was more perceptive than she would have liked. “You’ve been hurt deeply.”

It was more a statement than a question. Miss Parker looked away, watching as the flame in one of the candles spluttered.

“This is a mistake.”

She had definitely not wanted to say the words aloud. She was about to make her excuses when John started coughing. Forgetting about herself, she helped him to his feet.

“You shouldn’t be out here. I heard you only got out of the hospital tonight. You don’t want to end up back there, do you?”

“They’ll have to kill me first.”

“They don’t need help. You’re doing it on you own.”

John started laughing and she joined him as they stepped into the house. His laugh was deep and sounded like a bass drum and it reminded her so much of Jarod. Momentarily stilled by her memories, he stopped as well. Giving her some space, he stepped towards the library where Ben and the O’Donnell’s had gone. A sense of emptiness filled her side when he left and she wanted to call him back, to ask him to stay but she didn’t. Instead she watched as a few minutes later as the older people exited with John in tow. They came over to her to say their goodbyes and after thanking them for the evening, she was standing in front of John. Impulsively she stepped closer and a moment later she briefly kissed him goodbye. When their lips touched, she felt a tingling course through her body.

For that brief moment, which had not even stretched past a second, he closed his eyes in wonder.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you want more? ;-) Only way is to leave a review and let me know.