Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

He came to her in the night. Tired, disheveled, and moderately bruised from a blind dash through overgrown forest, he silently swept past her security systems, creeping wrath-like through the darkened house. The fire had gone out long before, leaving only faintly glowing embers in the hearth. Though the faces were in shadow he could feel the pictures on the mantle watching him as he passed, some approving, others condemning. He knew this was forbidden, that he tempted fate every time he snuck into her house. But he couldn’t stay away. Something in his soul pulled him to this place, to her, more so then ever since that stormy night, that almost kiss, in Ocee’s cabin. He heard the nocturnal rustlings of her pet, the rabbit he gave her all those Christmas’s ago, as he made his way carefully up the winding stairway, avoiding the creaky forth step from long habit.

As he crept through her memory saturated home, it was only natural that his thoughts turn to the girl she had been, his only light in those dark times. She had done so much more then she realized, bringing him the outside world in stories and smuggled presents. For her compassion and candor he gave her his loyalty and trust, in one innocent kiss she stole his heart. In all the years, all the trials, and all that the Centre could throw at them, he had never stopped watching out for her, taking care of her in subtle ways. She still had his heart. If not for her, he would have disappeared long since. The Centre never understood this simple fact, they dealt in science and tragedy, love was beyond them and would be their undoing. Catherine, Jacob, Kyle, so many people had paid the ultimate price to stop the terror. And it would end someday; somehow he knew that day was coming soon. He felt the darkness gathering within him thinking of that accursed place, he paused at the top of the stairs to take a deep breath and let it go for now. He had better thoughts to occupy his nights now.

At her bedroom door he stopped, mesmerized by the sight of her, clothed in ice blue silk and moonlight. She looked so angelic in slumber, curled on her side with her dark hair flowing behind her like a pool of midnight. He could clearly see in her the strong but gentle soul of that young girl he first fell in love with, combined with the face of a Bouticceli angel and a body…well a body that could make a super genius mentally stutter. He knew that awake she was a holy horror, willful, arrogant, more then a little belligerent, but also smart and compassionate. He understood her in a way no one else ever could, she wouldn’t be owned, couldn’t be tamed, but when the icy shield around her heart was breached she would love with the all consuming passion of a late summer storm. Jared caught his breath as he was hit anew by the wonder of her.

“Are you coming to bed Wonder-boy or are you just going to spend the night gawking?” Parker murmured sleepily. Her now open ethereal eyes glinted in the shadows as she reached out for him.

Grinning like a fool, he broke out of his musings and into her waiting arms.