Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Summary: Lyle and Parker face a new ‘challenge’!
Disclaimer: As Jarod would say, „You know the dance, Parker!" The Pretender belongs to their creators and NBC. I’m just tangoing with them for a bit, don’t worry NBC, Craig and Steven you’ll get them back for your dance!

Author's Note: If you have read the story this far then you should know that words in // and :: are thoughts sent telepathically. // are thoughts sent by Lyle and :: are thoughts sent by Miss Parker.

Spoilers: Don’t read if you haven’t seen anything up to end of the third season.




Gemini Vengeance
part 6

By Apollo's Girl




Miss Parker rushed out of her father's office as quickly as she could, a smile playing upon her lips. Right behind her was her brother, they didn't dare look at each other as they walked to their respective offices. Once they each had walked in they burst out into laughter.

//Oh boy! That was hilarious!// Lyle sent from his office.

::I wasn't sure if I could hold in my laughter.::

//It was a good thing dad dismissed us when he did.//

::I know.:: Parker sent back as she sat down in her chair. The two had decided it was best just to communicate telepathically while they were in the Centre and to stay away from each other.

//Dad is not happy about the break-ins in the Centre suboffices.//

::And assigning us to catch the people too! That's just too funny!::

//Especially since it was us who broke in.//

::Actually bro, technically it was Kyle and Jarod. We just helped them by providing them with info.::

//True. Saves our ass for a bit.//

::Did you see the new hair color the Troll decided to use?::

//You mean Brig?//

::Who else dimwit?::

//I prefer her blond. I think she was trying too hard to look like you and mom.//

::Scary! I still shudder from it.::

Miss Parker sat at her desk while holding her telepathic conversation with her brother when Broots stumbled into her office.

"What?" She snapped as he stood in front of her trying to straighten himself up.

"Um, Miss Parker I-uh, don't think-uh--"

"Spit it out Broots!"

"I saw Raines packing again."

"What?"

"His office, it's empty again."

"Have you checked out SL-27 or the Renewal Wing?"

"Yes and there are no signs that he is in either of them. Actually there is no sign that he'll even be in the Centre."

"That's not good. He wouldn't leave this place. Something must be going on."

"Miss Parker?" He asked as he noticed the look that spread across her face.

"I want you to dig up everything that you can. Don't tell anyone about this, except Syd. I want everything you find first. Understand?"

"Yes."

"Good, now tell Syd to pack his bags. We're going on a little trip."

"I'm not going?"

"You're going to stay here and dig. Got it?"

"Yes Ma'am."

"Then why are you still standing here?!" Miss Parker asked before he rushed out of her office.

//Sis, you should be nicer to him!//

::Its better to keep him on his toes.::

//I'll see what's up with Raines. Better call Jarod and Kyle.//

::You're right. They may know something.::

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

"What do you mean Raines is leaving?" Kyle asked.

"That's what Broots told me, Kyle. So you don't know anything do you?" Miss Parker asked on the other side of the phone.

"No, unfortunately I don't. I'm not sure about Jarod, but I doubt it. He hasn't mentioned anything to me about it." Kyle replied. "This isn't good. I'm already getting a very bad feeling about this."

"I know. This might mean we have to push up the time table."

"We should meet and discuss this."

"Bobby and I are going to Arizona to 'investigate' the break-ins in the Centre suboffices and annexes."

"Too bad you already know who did it." Kyle replied, a smirk on his face. Miss Parker had the same smirk. "We could meet you and Bobster there."

"They don't know that. However Sydney will be with us."

"Maybe its time we fill him in."

"I'm still not sure about that… I don't want to put him in danger."

"I know Parker, but with one more person helping it might make things easier."

"Why don't we wait to meet when we find out what Raines is up to. Once we figure that out it'll be easier to plan our next move." Parker reasoned.

"Alright. I'll call Jarod and talk to him. One of us will call you or Bobby." Kyle replied.

"Okay. I have to go. Take care of yourself." Parker caringly said.

"I will. You too! Bye."

"Bye."

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Miss Parker hung up the phone as she got out of her car. Taking her suitcase in one hand, she walked onto the Centre airfield. She saw Sydney and Lyle getting on the plane, she followed them on to it. Handing her suitcase to the attendant she seated herself by Sydney, across from Lyle. Sydney watched as the two refused to look at each other, their contempt clear on their faces. He tried to hide his smile at how Miss Parker dragged him along. He knew that she didn't like to be alone with her brother. He sat silently, getting out some folders from his briefcase, deciding to get some work done on this trip. As he pulled them out, he noticed in the reflection of his window, an interesting exchange of looks between Mr. Lyle and Miss Parker. When he turned around again, they were back to having their looks of contempt. "Interesting." He thought, deciding that he would have to watch those two.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Two days later

Miss Parker walked into Sydney's office. She was about to ask the older man if he had heard anything from Jarod, when Broots rushed in through the door.

"Miss Parker, Miss Parker!" He called. "You are not going to believe this!"

"What?" Miss Parker demanded, coldly.

"Raines, he left because, he left-" Broots stuttered as he tried to catch his breath. "Because of this."

Miss Parker took the folder from his hand and read the contents. "Oh my god!"

"What is it Miss Parker?" Sydney asked.

"You might want to read it for yourself to believe it." Miss Parker replied as she handed the folder to Sydney.

"They continued with it?" Sydney said in disbelief.

"You knew about this?" Miss Parker asked accusingly.

"Cloning? It was discussed a long time ago, but at that time it was decided that the world was not prepared for such a thing so the project was terminated. I should have known that Raines wouldn't have let it die."

"What are we going to do?" Broots asked as his eyes went wide. "If what it said is true, that means that Mr. Raines will try to clone Jarod."

"He already has."

The three turned around to look at Mr. Lyle who stood in the doorway.

"You knew about this?" Miss Parker hissed.

"Only recently. This is not the place to talk. I'll explain everything later. Sis, you know the place." He looked pointedly at Miss Parker. Her features softened a bit as she nodded in understanding. He turned around and left as Sydney and Broots exchanged a questioning glance.

"Meet me at my house at 7 tonight." Miss Parker replied as she followed her brother out. "Don't be late!" With that she disappeared.

"Um. Sydney, what's going on? One minute their enemies and the next they seem like they're friends."

"I don't know, but somehow I think there is more to them then meets the eye." Sydney replied thoughtfully.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Broots walked up to Miss Parker's door with Sydney. Just as he was about to knock, Miss Parker opened the door.

"Follow me." She ordered, quietly. The two men exchanged a glance and followed Parker. They found themselves in her cellar, with a waiting Lyle.

"Mr. Lyle." Sydney greeted.

"Sydney, Broots." Lyle replied in return. "Come on, we'll be late if we don’t hurry. They don't like to wait."

"I know." Miss Parker replied as she opened a secret doorway. Broots looked at Sydney as the man motioned that he should go first. Broots swallowed as he followed Miss Parker. He turned around briefly and saw Sydney and Lyle behind him. They made their way through the dark tunnel and after ten minutes he found himself coming out into a cave. Inside the cave he could see a fire burning and two men. The two men turned around.

"JAROD! KY-KYLE!" He stuttered out. He turned in disbelief towards Miss Parker and then at Sydney. Sydney looked just as shocked. Part of him wanted to yell at Jarod to run and the other to start asking questions. Instead he stayed silent as his eyes wandered over to the young man he thought was killed.

"Glad to see you made it." Jarod replied.

"Sorry we're late, Jare." Mr. Lyle replied, an apologetic smile on his face.

"Did you by any chance bring any food with you Bobby, V?" Kyle asked. "I'm hungry."

"Since when have you not been hungry?" Miss Parker replied, playfully ruffling his hair.

Broots looked stunned. He waited for the twilight zone music to play and the voice to say "You have now entered the Twilight Zone!"

"You probably want an explanation." Jarod replied as he looked at his mentor and at Broots.

"That would be nice." Sydney answered.

"Take a seat."

Sydney and Broots sat down. They noticed how Miss Parker was sitting close to Jarod and how comfortable she seemed. Mr. Lyle sat down besides Broots and Kyle, taking off his glove. Broots was about to turn his eyes away, knowing what a gruesome sight it was, when he saw it.

"Your thumb!" He exclaimed.

"Hmm, oh this?" Mr. Lyle asked good-naturedly.

"You have your thumb! I thought it was cut off!" Broots babbled on.

"Nope, I was just wearing a prosthetic hand. See, I still have my thumb." Lyle replied as he waved his thumb in front of Broots' face. Broots looked in awe at it.

"What is going on?" Sydney asked seriously, but his face appeared amused by Broots' amazement.

"Well, you see. We are all working together to bring the Centre down." Jarod replied.

"You're all working together?" Broots asked.

"Yes Broots. Jarod, Kyle, my brother and me. We are all working together." Miss Parker confirmed.

"I guess you could say we are all using our 'pretender' skills." Mr. Lyle replied.

"You and Miss Parker get along?" Broots asked.

"We're really close. As close as a brother and sister could get." Mr. Lyle said lovingly, smiling at his sister.

"But how did you become so close?"

"We met a long time ago when I found out I had a sister."

"Since then we have pretended to hate each other so that we could have things done the way we wanted at the Centre." Miss Parker explained.

Sydney smiled back. "I always knew that there was something there. I saw it the first time you two met at the Centre. The Centre really missed something when they thought neither of you could Pretend."

"That was the idea." Miss Parker replied.

"Its good to see you alive Kyle." Sydney said to the youngest man.

"Its good to be alive, sir." Kyle replied with a good-natured smile.

"I feel like I'm in a dream." Broots muttered.

"I know what you mean." Jarod said quietly.

"I think we better get to business." Lyle spoke. "Did you hear about the cloning?"

"Vanessa sent us the folder." Kyle replied.

"Vanessa?" Broots asked.

"Miss Parker." Sydney answered with a smile. "Your mother always loved that name."

Miss Parker returned her own smile to the man. "I know."

"Well we all know why Raines left, but now we need to find out what he plans to do." Jarod said.

"Well he already had successfully cloned you Jarod." Lyle replied. "According to my father and the Triumverate, J2, the clone, is the greatest Pretender yet. His abilities outstretch yours by 25%. Raines plans to turn him into the biggest money maker at the Centre and at the same time turn him into his own personal pet project."

"That's not good." Kyle said. "How far along has he gotten?"

"As far as know, not far but he has been keeping a lot things under wraps."

"Damn it. If we want to stop him we need to stop the Centre." Kyle replied.

"We need to get the boy out too." Jarod said, anger in his voice. "I can't believe the Centre would do such a thing."

"This is getting too complicated." Miss Parker replied. "At this rate things at the Centre will get to be worse before we can stop it."

"We might have to call in the FBI now." Kyle suggested.

"It's too soon." Lyle replied. "We need to make sure that the other offices are closed so that we only have to deal with the Centre. There's still another twenty offices and annexes open."

"We need to think this out." Jarod commanded. "There must be a quicker way to close those offices then going in ourselves."

"I could do it." The four Pretenders turned around to look at Broots.

"Excuse me?" Miss Parker asked. "If the four of us can't do it how can you?"

"Because I was just assigned to update all the security programs at the suboffices and annexes and since I will have access to the computers I can shut them off by putting in a virus that would terminate all the systems." Broots explained, looking proud of himself at being able to do something the other four couldn't. People didn't call him a computer nerd for nothing, after all he was the King of Viruses, as he was commonly known to all of his computer companions.

"That would work. And we don't need to worry about losing information since I have most of it anyway." Kyle replied. The other three nodded. Sydney patted Broots on the shoulder.

"Now what we have to worry about is finding the boy and bringing the Centre down."

"I'm trying to find the location now, but the Triumverate is still unsure whether or not to trust me." Lyle replied.

"Well try to find out and while you're doing that, Broots can you get the viruses going?" Kyle asked.

"Uh-huh."

"How soon?" Jarod inquired.

"Probably by the end of next week if thing goes smoothly. By then all the offices and annexes should be closed."

"Back to the boy clone," Sydney said. "If he is brought to the Centre, I can ask to be assigned to him. After all as far they are concerned I am the most qualified person to teach him."

The other four nodded.

"The only problem is to get you assigned to it." Kyle replied.

"I can see what I can do." Lyle said, offering his assistance. "I might be able to convince my father and the Triumverate that you work with J2."

"Once I can work with him, there is a better chance of us getting him out."

"However if Raines is moving to the other compound how will you get to work with him?" Broots asked.

"I can ask for a transfer." Sydney replied. "I could say I am too old to be chasing Jarod around, which is getting to be true. My body just isn't up to running anymore."

Jarod smiled at his mentor. "One less person chasing me sounds good right about now."

"So let me make sure I have all of this down." Miss Parker stated as she looked at the men in a thoughtful manner. "Broots will shut down the offices by implanting a virus in the computers, Sydney and Lyle will try to get J2. Kyle you will be getting more information and getting our supplies. Jarod you're going to infiltrate the Centre to figure out an invasion plan. Right?"

The men nodded in agreement.

"Okay so what do I do?" Parker asked throwing her hands up into the air.

"Look pretty?" Kyle offered. Parker threw him an icy cold glance. "Guess not."

"Just keep your eyes and ears open for any more news. Also you can help me with the infiltration plan." Jarod replied. Parker nodded.

"And look pretty." Jarod added, although he didn't move fast enough to avoid Miss Parker hitting him in the shoulder. Everyone laughed and continued to discuss their plans for the downfall of the Centre.