Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In first part...
Author's Note: Apology for long wait. In the middle of revision decided to rewrite the entire part. Therefore it took a lot longer. Hopefully next part will come much faster!!! :-P I hope...




Entanglement and Lies
By Apollo's Girl
(aka AG)



* * * * * * * * * * Part 7* * * * * * * * * *





The three young pretenders sat beside each other trying to digest in all the information that Jarod, Parker and Lyle had told them. The most effected of the three was Jade. When Lyle had told her about how she was taken away, her face had become very stony with only her eyes betraying any emotion. There was an oppressive silence that was only interrupted by Sam and Broots clearing out the dishes.

“I think that we should all go to bed and get a goodnight’s rest.” Sydney said.

“Before we go I want a few questions answered.” Emily replied. The adults nodded for her to continue.

“You said that we are related, but I don’t see how it explains why none of us remember anything you have told us.”

“From what we have gathered from the Citadel, we figure they have been using some mind alteration drugs.” Jarod replied. “Honestly it doesn’t surprise me since the Centre uses the same tactics when they feel it’s necessary.”

“You won’t feel upset if I demand that there are blood tests taken?” Trent asked his tone slightly sarcastic. “And that I do it?”

“No.”

“As long as I draw my own blood.” Lyle added. He didn’t like the idea of the young male pretender sticking him.

“Why afraid I’ll do something bad?”

“You don’t trust me, I don’t trust you.” Lyle replied nonchalantly.

“Tough way to live.”

“It’s the way you survive.”

“Is there anything else that you want to ask us?” Parker asked trying to end Lyle and Trent’s discussion.

“No. Not until after the blood tests have been done.” Emily replied.

“Well off to bed then.” Sydney said in his paternal way. He ushered the three young pretenders out of the room, leaving the three grown ones sitting in silence.

“Well that went well.” Jarod reflected.

“As well as could be expected, I guess.” Parker replied. She looked over at her brother who didn’t seem to agree with Jarod at all. However he didn’t say anything only got up and walked out of the room. A few minutes later they heard the front door open and close.

Parker and Jarod exchanged a look knowing that this was probably a lot harder on Lyle then on anyone else. Jarod hated to admit it but he actually felt some sort of geniality towards the man.

“So what do we do now?” Parker asked.

“Wait and see I guess.”

“That helps.”

“Well I don’t know what to do until I know how the three feel about this.” Jarod replied as he ran his fingers through his hair. “I never thought it would be this hard.”

“I don’t think any of us did especially Lyle.”

“Hmph.” Jarod closed his eyes and leaned his head back.

“You okay Jarod?” Parker asked.

“As I said before, I never thought it would be this hard. I always thought that it would be a happy occasion where we smile and hug each other and tell one another how much we missed them. I guess I was just dreaming.”

“No. You should of have had that reunion, its just that the Centre and the Citadel got in the way.” Parker replied.

“What you are blaming the Centre for something?” Jarod asked as he opened his eyes in surprise.

“I’m not blind Jarod, not anymore. Those places are the reason for most of our lives turning out the way it did. It doesn’t excuse everything, but it’s the reason. Lyle wouldn’t have turned out how he did if it weren’t for Raines taking him away or the Citadel for killing his wife and kidnapping his child. I would have probably turned out different if my mother was still alive or if I had grown up with Lyle. You wouldn’t be this avenging angel either. The Centre shaped our lives Jarod and not in the best way.” Parker explained. Jarod nodded in understanding.

“But why stay?”

“Because I have to.”

“No one has to.” Jarod countered.

“There are too many things that need to be settled before I can leave and that may not happen until the end of my life. I mean why do you keep coming back? Why don’t you just disappear? Its not like you can’t do it.”

Jarod chuckled a little. “I guess like you I have too many things that need to be settled before I can leave.” Parker smiled at him which he returned.

“I think I’ll go to bed.” Parker said as she stood up to leave. Jarod followed.

“I think I’ll join you.”

“Jarod!”

“What? We are husband and wife you know!” Jarod countered as they neared her bedroom door.

“Pretending to be. And that was while we worked at the Citadel. Now we are Parker and Jarod, so that means you’re in with Syd.”

“Where’s your sense of adventure?” Jarod pouted. Then when realizing that wouldn’t work he changed tracks and tried to be seductive. It only made Parker laugh and close the door on his face.

“Women!” Jarod muttured.

“Out in the dog house, Jarod?” Sam asked as he and Broots grinned from down the hall.

“Well I never expected it to be a smooth marriage.” Jarod replied.

“Is anything with Miss Parker smooth?” Broots asked. The men just laughed and waved good night to each other. Broots went into his room that he would share with Lyle and Jarod went off to his room. Sam quietly opened his door so not to distrub Trent, but found that the boy wasn’t in there. But he figured he was with the girls.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~


After making sure the young pretenders were all right, Sydney had went back downstairs to talk to Lyle. But found him not to be around anywhere. Sam and Broots before going upstairs told him that Lyle had gone outside. So Sydney went out to find him. The old man found Lyle sitting on some rocks near the waterfall and lake. Trying not to disturb him, Sydney sat down quietly next to Lyle. Neither said anything as they watched the water fall and lap quietly onto the shore.

“Syd, do you think she will remember?” Lyle asked softly.

“I think she is beginning to.” Sydney replied. “She was young when it happened and she has been subjected to a lot of different treatments, it will take some time.”

“All I want to do is to hold her and tell her things will be better. But I can’t do that Syd. Because everyway I look at it someone will always be after her. And then there’s the fact that she doesn’t even trust me. Syd we use to be so close, she would tell me everything that bothered her. She use to confide in me and now… Now she doesn’t even want me to come close to her.” Lyle said in frustration.

“It’s hard Lyle, I know.”

“How could you? How could you understand what it is to have your own child not remember you or not to trust you? To have your child look at you with disgust? You don’t know unless you’ve been through it.”

“But I have Lyle. Not quite the same as you but I have. It’s harder to have your child look at you everyday and not know that you are their father and not being able to tell them.”

Lyle turned towards Sydney as he heard his words. Knowing that Sydney wasn’t talking about Nicholas, Lyle figured it was Jarod. “Jarod is your-“

“No, not Jarod.” Sydney replied. “Listen Lyle,” the man said changing the subject, ”this is something you have to deal with one day at a time. Jade needs time to understand everything that is going on. I know this is hard, but things like this are never easy. Just take the time to let her know you again. Don’t push it just let it happen gradually. The more she gets to know you the more she’ll remember.”

“Except Sydney I’m not the same man I use to be. Not the one she knew. I’ve changed Sydney and now that she’s here alive in front of me… I’m not sure it’s someone I want her to know.”

“We all change Lyle. Some for the better, others for the worst. But don’t worry, she’ll understand. You still love her don’t you?”

“She’s the most important person to me.”

“Then she’ll know its you. Your love is still the same as when she was with you. She will know you by that love.” Sydney replied, patting the younger man on the shoulder. “Keep faith Lyle.”

Lyle nodded thinking over the man’s words.

“Now go and get some sleep. You’ll need it for the next few days.”

“You always have to be like the parent don’t you Syd?” Lyle asked as he got up and started to walk towards the house.

Sydney just stood and smiled at him.

“Thanks Syd.” Lyle disappeared from view.

“That’s what I’m here for… son.”