Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: In first part...
Author's Note: Apology for long wait. In the middle of revision decided to rewrite the entire part. Therefore it took a lot longer. Hopefully next part will come much faster!!! :-P I hope...



Entanglement and Lies
By Apollo's Girl
(aka AG)




* * * * * * * * * * Part 6* * * * * * * * * *





The road was deserted and nothing seemed to move. Jarod, Parker and Lyle sat pensively in the car waiting for the other Pretenders to arrive. Neither of them said anything, they just sat and waited. Parker’s fingers drummed on the armrest, Jarod ran simulations through his head over and over, and Lyle reminisced about his young daughter. Broots, Sydney and Sam were waiting in a van hidden further down the road. They spent most of their time playing cards to keep their mind off the long wait.

Jarod was going through his twenty-seventh simulation when he heard the sound of a car engine coming down. When he sat up straighter he noticed that the other two had heard it as well. Parker and Lyle pulled out their binoculars and peered through the trees to make sure it was the right car.

Lyle took in a sharp breath. „It’s her."

Jarod didn’t waste anytime and drove the car out of their hiding place. Parker signaled to the others through the walkie-talkie. They kept the car a good distance away at first, but then Jarod speeded up. He had calculated the speed at that the other was going and matched their car’s speed to it. Lyle sat in the back with his seatbelt on, holding on in anticipation.

„Jarod, the turn’s almost coming up." Parker said.

„I know… We’re almost…" He stepped on the gas harder. They slowed for a spilt second then went increasingly faster. The other noticed the increase of speed and began to maneuver so that the other car could go by. Jarod predicted the reaction and decided not to raise their suspicions since in all probability it could lead to serious injuries. So he began to pull ahead of them only to, at the last possible second, move the car sideways so that it ran into the other car. Both cars have skidded to the side and came to an abrupt stop.

Parker who was on the side of impact, got out of the car from Jarod’s side. She cursed softly under her breath for the bruise but otherwise ignored it. Lyle moved towards the other car where the three passengers were getting out of.

„What the hell do you think you were doing?" A tall dark-brunette asked angrily.

„Trying to get your attention." Jarod responded to Emily.

„Well you certainly got it asshole." The one male Pretender hissed back as he pulled the Asian Pretender to him. „You okay?" He asked quietly to her. Lyle made a mental note to like the guy somewhat for being worried about his daughter. Jade was looking at the three but her eyes stayed on Lyle for a while. A strange sensation passed between them.

„What do you want?" Emily asked.

„For the three of you to come with us."

„Who the hell are you?"

„Look I know you probably won’t believe us, but you are going to have to trust us."

„Why should we?" Trent shouted out.

„Because we are going to help you to your freedom." Parker responded.

„Freedom?"

„Jade." Lyle said quietly. She looked up at him but didn’t say anything. Trent and Emily seemed to move closer to her in a protective manner. „Do you know who I am?" There was a silent pause.

„I… No. No I don’t." Yet her voice betrayed that she had an inclination of who he was and also disbelief.

„Who are you three and what do you really want?" Trent asked. „I don’t want some evasive answer either.

Jarod, Parker and Lyle looked at each other for a moment.

„I’m Jarod, this is Miss Parker and Mr. Lyle." Jarod said. „Emily, I’m your brother."

„No. You are NOT my brother. They’re dead, they have been for a long time." Emily hissed back.

„I can prove it."

„I need no proof, I saw them die."

„How could you have if I was taken away before you were born?" Jarod retorted.

„He’s telling the truth." Lyle backed Jarod up. „Look, none of this is going to be believable to any of you. We have proof, you can do the tests yourself."

„What do you two have to do with this?" Trent questioned Parker and Lyle.

„I’m Jade’s father. Jade you have to remember me or even your mother Sylvia."

„She’s dead. She died when I was born and I have no father." Jade replied. „I was a test tube baby."

Lyle looked at her in shock. ‘What did these people tell his baby girl?’ He thought angrily.

„You are my daughter! I-"

„Let’s get out of here." Trent said as the three began to run. Lyle, Parker and Jarod quickly followed. Jarod followed behind Trent and jumped onto the younger Pretender. As he did so he pulled out the syringe and injected the sedative. Parker pulled a similar stunt on Jade, hating having to hurt her own niece. Emily was running from Lyle who was momentarily distracted by the site of his daughter. Parker motioned to him that she was alright and he went after Emily. She ran into the woods and was looking for a weapon to fight with, when Jarod popped out and tried to restrain her. The two wrestled for a while until Lyle caught up to the two of them. With his help Jarod was able to subdue her. Once the drug began to work the two looked at each other with melancholic eyes.

„I hate that we had to resort to this." Jarod said.

„You think I do?" Lyle asked offended by Jarod’s tone.

„You never seem to have a problem with violence." Jarod replied harshly.

„You never have a problem playing God." Lyle retorted. The two stared at each other but before anything else could be said they heard Sam coming towards them.

„The van’s here." The sweeper reported. Jarod picked up Emily and brought her to the van. Once the three unconscious pretenders were settled into the seats they were all off.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~


Lyle paced around in the house they were hiding out in. Jarod had found the place two years ago on a pretend and had been using it every now and then as a refuge. It was a pretty big house for one person, but for the nine of them it was just enough. It was hidden in the mountains near a waterfall that spilled out into a lake. The house had five bedrooms and three baths, a large kitchen, dining room, living room, family room and a study. Jarod and Sydney were in one room, Sam was with Trent in another, the two girls were in a joint room with Miss Parker and Lyle and Broots were in the other room.

Lyle walked up to his daughter’s room and watched her sleep. All that kept going through his head was her saying „She’s dead. She died when I was born and I have no father. I was a test tube baby." He couldn’t believe that’s what they told her, that she believed it. They were always so close.

„Sleeping like little angels." Jarod said quietly. Lyle looked up at the other man and said nothing, only nodded and looked back at her. They each got lost in their thoughts when a loud crash sounded from the other room.

„Trent!" Jarod and Lyle said simultaneously. They rushed over to see what was going on.

„What the hell do you- Let go of me you asshole!" Trent yelled at Sam, who was trying to restrain him.

„Sam let him go." Jarod told the sweeper, Parker who had come up behind the men nodded to Sam who promptly let go. Trent yanked his arms away and looked around for an exit, but found that his only escapes were locked or blocked by the three older Pretenders.

„Where are Jade and Emily? What do you want with me?" Trent asked, growling out the words.

„To get you away from that place." Jarod replied. „We want you to have your freedom."

„By making me a prisoner?"

The three Pretenders looked at each other and then looked back at him.

„No." Jarod said. „We first want you to understand a few things and when you hear us out-"

„What you’ll set us free?"

„Yes." Parker replied. „We don’t want to hurt you."

„You’ve done a nice job doing that. Where are the girls?"

„They’re in the other room asleep. They are safe, no harm has come to them." Lyle answered.

„You think you’re her father."

„I am."

„You’re a damn fucking liar you know that. She has no father. If she had one, it’s the Citadel. No one else."

„Watch your mouth boy!" Lyle said his hand in fist ready to punch the guy’s lights out. Parker grabbed her brother’s hand, whispering in his ear to calm down. Lyle hesitated a moment then dropped his hand and left the room.

„I want to see them." Trent demanded unfazed by Lyle.

„No stunts and we’ll take you to them." Jarod warned, Trent nodded. Parker and Jarod lead the way out of the room with Trent and Sam following. They walked into the other room and found Lyle sitting in a corner and the girls each sleeping in their beds. Trent walked to them and checked to see if they were alright. When he was sure that they were just sleeping he turned to the others.

„Why aren’t they awake?" Trent asked.

„The sedative seems to have more lasting effect on them. They’ll wake up soon though." Jarod replied. Trent nodded.

„I want to stay with them."

„I don’t-"

„Look I won’t try anything."

Parker, Jarod and Lyle looked at each other. Lyle did not seem too thrilled at the idea, but could see that Parker and Jarod were going to agree to it.

„Fine, but one of us stays with you." Parker replied.

Trent only nodded and made himself comfortable by Jade’s sleeping figure, keeping watch over the two of them. Jarod motioned for Lyle to join him and Parker outside while Sam stayed and kept watch. Lyle reluctantly followed.

„How could you let him-"

„We need them to trust us." Jarod replied.

„Those are three talented Pretenders in there and you are leaving them alone with Sam?" Lyle argued.

„Look if we don’t start off now giving them some leeway, then we are never going to have them trusting us." Jarod said. Parker looked at the two of them and knew if she didn’t intervene now there would be two bloody and half-dead guys walking around.

„Boys! We are going to have to work together on this and if we don’t all hell is going to break lose. So either start cooperating with each other and act civil to each other or I will personally lock the two of you out of the house for the next two weeks!" With that she turned on her heels and left the two men standing there contemplating her words.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~


Later that evening after the girls woke the nine of them sat at the dinner table in silence. It had taken some coaxing from Sydney to get the three young Pretenders to eat and even then they did it reluctantly. Lyle during the whole dinner kept looking at his daughter while Jarod did the same to Emily, leaving both the girls feeling somewhat uncomfortable. Trent sat next to Jade and seemed ready to rip out both men’s eyes. Parker and Sydney exchanged glances, but didn’t say anything. Broots just wished he was somewhere else and Sam just ate not really thinking at all.

„What is going on? Why do you want us here?" Trent demanded, the oppressing silence taking its toll.

„As we told you before we are trying to help you to your freedom." Jarod replied. „I know that right now it doesn’t seem that way, but we wanted to talk to you first before we let you go."

„What if we don’t want to talk?" Emily challenged.

„You don’t have to, you just have to listen. We don’t expect you to believe everything we tell you or even to trust us. Just hear us out and then you can do whatever it is you want, leave or stay." Jarod answered.

The three young Pretenders looked at each other and nodded.

„So get started." Trent said. „The sooner you do the sooner we can leave."

The adults looked at each other and sighed.

„First we clear the table and make a big pot of coffee or tea then we talk." Sydney said as he motioned for Broots and Sam to help clear off the table. „This is going to be a very long night."