Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Note: Series of drabbles.

I'll Save You All



“You’re a sick man, Lyle.”

Lyle doesn’t flinch or look particularly bothered.

“Some might say that a man who locks up a boy from when he’s 5 years old is a sicker man. Some might call him a pedo-”

Sydney takes a swing but Lyle is young and quick. He dodges the blow and grabs Sydney by the shoulders. “Struck a nerve? Sydney, the world is changing and now I’m in charge. You have a choice; work with me or against me. Work with me and maybe Jarod won’t arrive in Africa crippled.”

“I’ll never help you.”

Lyle just smiles.

*




Sydney watches the DSA of Jarod being man-handled up and force-fed pills. He watches he gets lethargic and finally falls.

Lyle tells him about the reception in Africa. The ten specially brought guards and how even half conscious Jarod managed to break two arms.

“My father never saw your value, but I do. Your bumbling idiot act doesn’t fool me. You know all the secrets and you’re going to tell me.”

Never is on the tip of his tongue but Miss Parker is God-knows-where and his protégé is in Africa without any help...

He nods his head.

*




They have a deal. Miss Parker comes back and Sydney tells him something. Jarod isn’t punished too severely and Sydney tells him something. Broots doesn’t die and Sydney tells him something.

He’s nearly run out of somethings when they bring in Emily.

He grasps Lyle’s arm and says “I want her.”

Lyle looks down with interest. “Business or pleasure?”

“Business.”

“You think you can train her?”

Sydney doesn’t but nods anyway.

Lyle stares at Sydney’s arm on his and says “this will have to be good, Sydney.”

Sydney also glances down and murmurs “it will be.”

Lyle laughs in delight.

*




Emily is uncooperative and dangerous. She snarls and fights when ever anyone comes near her. Training her is impossible but Sydney won’t give up because that would mean her death.

“Emily,” he tries again, “if you cooperate I can protect you. I can’t guarantee your safety if you keep doing this.”

Today instead of spitting or swearing she glares at him.

“I’ll be safe but you’ll use me like you did my brothers. One of them is dead and another’s in Africa.” She spits, “I would rather die than cooperate with any of you.”

Sydney laughs. “You’ll soon learn.”

*




Emily’s death and Raines’ return is the final nail in the coffin.

“I’ve helped you, Lyle, now you have to help me.”

Lyle laughs. “Is that so? And what exactly do you want?”

“Raines dead.”

“Done.”

Too easy, Sydney thinks. “What do you want?”

“Get my sister to tell you where our father is.”

“You’re going to kill your own father?”

“Yes, how Freudian of me.”

“I’d go with sick. I know about the girls.”

Broots had sent him an email with a newspaper clipping. Sydney had done his own research and knows that at least half a dozen other Asian women had gone missing from Delaware in the last year and a half.

“Casualties of boredom.”

“You’re a--”

“Sick man, yes I know. Must be why we get on so well. Don’t you think, Herr Doctor?”

*




They find Mr Parker in a run-down bus depot. Miss Parker tries to protect him but Sydney tackles her to the ground.

Lyle levels the gun against his father’s forehead. “Where’s Bridgette?”

When he gestures to another bus Lyle calmly squeezes the trigger. Bridgette tries to outrun the sweepers but she’s too big and doesn’t get far before they catch her.

“He was your father!” she screams as they shove her into the car.

Miss Parker says nothing but shies away from him like he’s a leper.

“You’re dead to me,” she hisses and climbs in beside her step-mother.

*




The child is a boy. Bridgette dies in childbirth. Her last words are to Sydney, who holds her hand as she grits her teeth and pushes. “Kill him.”

Sydney’s not sure if she’s referring to the child or to Lyle.

Lyle arrives after the child his cleaned up and the baby cleaned up. He holds him awkwardly and Sydney has to intervene because he’s afraid he will drop him.

He stares at the baby for a long while and the baby stares back. It is a curious thing to see.

Finally he holds the child up slightly and says, “Jarod.”

*




He’s in the office when the new secretary arrives. She’s Asian and beautiful just like the last one and the one before. When Lyle eyes her she flushes and bows her head in false modesty.

His eyes follow her out and then he licks his lips.

“No,” he says before he realises he’s going to speak, “not this one. Leave one. There are rumours.”

Lyle walks over to him, trying to invade his personal space. “There are many rumours about many things. You and I for instance.”

Sydney crosses the distance and says against his lips “that’s because they’re true.”

*



He likes to think he’s making a difference. At least in young Jarod’s life if not in Lyle’s. He thinks maybe that’s what he needed his whole life; someone to love him without reservation no matter what he did.

He likes to think Lyle’s his patient and day by day he’s getting better. He likes to think that maybe one day he can convince Lyle to repent and turn the Centre into something good.

He thinks that if he can’t heal Lyle, then at least he’s saved Jarod.


He likes to think that day by day Lyle isn’t changing him.

Finish.