Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended


This is a sequel to Judge Jarod megaupload moby hotel



I Dreamed of Broken Dreams

Ruth Piwonka




May 23, 2000, 4:42 p.m., Chicago, IL

Jarod was looking at blueprints of the Centre on his laptop when Maria Carmichael opened the door without knocking. She slammed it shut and threw a thick manila folder onto his desk. Jarod instantaneously closed his laptop up and his eyes went to hers. “What’s the problem?” he asked.

“We need to talk. Now.”

“About what?”

“Our quote partnership. I did the work that you requested of me, but I’m not doing anything else until I find out about everything.”

“What’s everything?”

“Who you are. You’re not a regular district attorney. I know; because I’ve been working in this office for three years. And you’ve barely been in it for two days.” He loosened his tie and picked up the file.

“Didn’t you read my references?”

“Of course. But there’s something not right about you and I can feel it.”

“Do you think I’m a criminal?”

“I don’t know what to think. But I do know that a real district attorney doesn’t shut out his partner like you do.”

“It’s hard to explain who I am. I don’t feel comfortable with sharing that information with you.”

“Would you feel more comfortable with the police? I feel really tempted to call them now.” Her lip twisted and her face became full of doubt.

“They couldn’t tell you who I am. Because I don’t even know.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I can’t tell you that right now. But you’re going to have to trust me. If you think that I’m not a real district attorney, you may be right. Thank you for doing this for me; you have helped a lot.” She crossed her arms as if she expected him to say something more.

“What else should we do?”

“I found the students that were Rich and Len’s friends, but their teacher wouldn’t let me take them out of class then to talk to them. So, I asked them when I could talk to them and they wanted to meet at the Harold Washington Library center at 6:00 p.m. And I want you to come with me.”

“Why meet at the library?”

“It’s a public place. Also, they said that they have three research papers to do.”

“High school students with three research papers?”

“They’re in the IB program; which is equivalent of a college level.”

“I suppose. Should we prepare a list of questions?”

“No. We never know what questions they will answer and what questions they won’t answer. I don’t want to disappoint myself by having lots of blank space on a piece of paper.”

“You never asked me to come with you before.”

“I don’t know where the Harold Washington library is. I’ve only been in Chicago for about two days.”

“You could’ve found out for yourself on the phone.”

“I don’t want you to be anymore suspicious of me than you already are. I trust you and I want to prove you wrong that I can’t be trusted.” Maria grinned.

“Okay. Let’s go. It takes quite a while to get downtown.” Jarod grabbed the keys from his left top desk drawer and followed her out the door to the elevator.

***

The Centre, Blue Cove, Delaware, Sydney’s
Office, 5:00 p.m....

“Did you find her yet, Broots?” Sydney asked the computer technician, who hurriedly scurried into the room and plugged in his laptop. He set the computer on Sydney’s desk and shook his head no.

“No. No notes, no sign of her leaving the Centre campus, and her car’s still here. But I can’t find a trace of her.”

“Did you try every security system?”

“No. That’s why I’m here. I’ve checked up through SL-8 so far.” Broots opened a couple of programs and began to furiously type. “I’ll know in about ten minutes if she’s in a sublevel somewhere.”

“I’ll call...” Syd was about to say the word Sam but he briefly remembered the fact that Sam had been killed in an exploding car.
“Who, Syd? Who are you gonna call?” Broots inquired with his eyes glued to the screen.

“I’m not sure. There are very few people that I can trust here anymore.”

“I have an idea, but you might not like it.”

“What?”

“The new guy. Nope. No trace of her on SL-9 and 10.”

“Who?”

“You know...what’s his name...Horner.” Sydney shook his head.

“No. I know that Lyle sent him. If he knows that Miss Parker is missing, he’ll go report it to Lyle and Lyle will instigate a huge search for her. And when he finds her, he’ll probably kill her.”

“Just an idea...-”

“That would kill her. Keep looking and keep me posted if you find anything. Is Angelo still working on those DSAs of Lyle and me?”

“Yes.”

“I’ll go check on him in the meantime. Call me if there’s trouble or if you find her.”

“Right away, Syd.” The psychologist opened a drawer, pulled out a belt clip, and secured his cell phone to it.

***

The Harold Washington Library, Downtown Chicago,
IL, 6:00 p.m....

Jarod and Maria slipped through the metal detectors without any problem and quickly made their way over to the third floor. The four students said they would meet them there. “Is there some reason why you had to dress casually?” Maria asked. She glanced at his traditional black garb.

“I didn’t tell them I was the District Attorney. I want to keep it that way.”

“What did you tell them?”

“That I was investigating the ‘Piedmont High School Tragedy’. I said that I was intrigued by the methods that Rich and Len used. And that I wanted them to show me how they did it.”

“So it would be wise for me not to be seen nearby you, then?”

“Yes. Probably.” She sighed and they went into the elevator.

“Then how can I possibly trust you if I can’t hear the questions that you’re asking?”

“Oh, you’ll hear me all right. Just slip this in your ear and be around the corner of our table.” He handed her an inconspicuous-looking earpiece and she held it in her hand as the elevator reached its destination. Jarod saw the four students at a nearby table to his left and he did not even look back at her for reassurance.

“Good day, gentlemen,” he greeted them.

“It is actually evening,” Karl Schwartz answered. He was a good-looking young man for his age and his hair was dyed a white bleach color.

“You have a gift for stating the obvious, I see,” Jarod replied sardonically. Karl smirked and nodded.

“By the way, you never did tell us your name, Mr. Mystery Guy,” C.J. Collins inquired.

“Jarod.”

“Do you have a last name?” Tyrone Bellicoso jibed. Jarod shook his head.

“I’m a first name basis type of guy. So do all of you get all A’s?”

“Would we be in this program if that were not so?” Nathan Anderson, a tall and lanky young man with black hair and blue eyes answered with a question.

“I’ve heard that you have a special connection with Rich Gary and Len Harvey. Is that true?”

“Maybe. Who told you this?” C.J. asked.

“I do not need to reveal my sources to you. Just answer these questions and I’ll leave you alone forever.”

“You could call it a special connection. They’re more like older brothers to us than friends,” Tyrone replied.

“Could you expatiate on that?” Jarod questioned him. Tyrone gave him an inquisitive stare but when Jarod looked at him directly in the eyes, his eyes hardened. “Just tell me your history of being together. I’m interested in the story; and no, I’m not a reporter or writer.”

“I met Rich and Len at the end of my ninth grade year. All of us were students in the IB program here at that time. I knew who they were but they were secretive. They usually just hung out with themselves and nobody else,” Tyrone began.

“Were in you in regular IB classes or the special ones that Mr. Prince set aside for you?”