Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Microsoft Word

- Text Size +

Disclaimer: The characters Miss Parker, Sydney, Jarod, Broots etc. and the fictional Centre, are all property of MTM, TNT and NBC Productions and used without permission. I'm not making any money out of this and no infringement is intended.

Author’s note: This might seem like your typical Jarod-Miss Parker-get-stuck-somewhere-and-get-their-feelings-sorted-out-and-get-all-lovey-dovey story, but I assure you, it’s more than that! There’s actually a plot. Please give me feedback.



Nice is Good

by Rachel



The dark clouds matched her mood. Miss Parker glanced up to the sky as if to dare it to make the first move. This is it. This lead on Jarod is her ticket to freedom. She walked into the Ranger Station and demanded attention without saying a word.

“Hi,” she greeted with fake sweetness, fully aware of the curious looks she was getting.

“Can I help you, Miss?” The people in the room wondered what a well-dressed, stylish woman like this was doing in the middle of the Oregon wilderness.

“I’m looking for Jarod,” she said with determination. Everyone seemed to relax at the mention of Jarod’s name.

“Well, Miss, why didn’t you say so? He’s hibernating at a cabin in the woods.”

“Will you just point me to the general direction?” The snickering and snorting in the background made Miss Parker glare around in anger.

“What?!” she asked in exasperation.

“You drive to the trailhead about a mile and a half from here, then you have to hike two miles in to get to the cabin,” one of the Rangers offered politely.

Miss Parker sighed, almost sounding defeated and they rangers were somewhat
sympathetic.

“So you’re telling me that this outfit and shoes won’t get me there?” she commented, pointing to her stiletto shoes.

They shook their head in unison. “It’s pretty rough terrain, ma’am.”

“Damn. I was so looking forward to seeing him, too,” she muttered sarcastically, but some took her tone as serious and honest. Something inside her betrayed her again.

“There’s an extra pair of hiding boots and pants and a jacket if you’d like to use them,” one of the Rangers said, holding the items up. Miss Parker stared at the outfit, unsure of what to do. She might have been nauseated by the forest green color. The rangers stood around in expectation, waiting to see what the brunette will do.

“Give them here,” she demanded lightly, holding out her hand.

“You’d better hurry, ma’am, if you’re going to get there without getting soaked. There’s a storm coming and the area becomes more hazardous.”

“I’ll draw you a map.”

“Thank you, I mean it,” Miss Parker said sincerely.

Miss Parker then smirked and glanced around the room with an eyebrow raised. “Some of you don’t think I’ll make it, do you?”

“You’ll make it,” they said confidently.

Miss Parker was in disbelief. “How can you be so sure?”

“We’re sure of Jarod. I’ll radio him to let him know you’re coming.”

“No!” Miss Parker protested. “Don’t let him know. I want it to be surprise,” she said mischievously. Scratch the idea of them being confident in her making it.

“Ma’am, it’s not an easy hike….”

“I can handle it,” she cut off, “not a word to Jarod until I get there. Capiche?”

What is Jarod into? They all thought. But they weren’t about to interfere. Jarod has made it clear that his business is his business. They like him too much to be nosy about his affairs. They were all curious, though, how this tall, beautiful, intimidating woman fit into his complicated and mysterious life.

Miss Parker grumbled back to her car at the thought of walking two miles and especially about wearing those hideous boots and gaudy pants.

*******

“Should we let Jarod know?”

“We’ll give her two hours and then we’ll inform Jarod.”

“Good enough.”

*******

Miss Parker parked her car at the trailhead and put on her gear. She checked her cell phone and nothing—no signal. She shut it close and threw it on the seat. She was glad she made the choice of going alone—to have Broots and Sydney gawking in disbelief would only be a waste of time. She didn’t care if Jarod saw her looking so unfashionable. He’ll only be looking at the barrel of her gun anyway. Besides, she has had enough of his cockiness, thinking he knows everything about her. This should put a little kink in his perception of her. The clouds began to spit drops of rain and Miss Parker glared at the sky again.

*********

AFTER UNDER 2 HOURS OF HIKING

Miss Parker drudged through the dirt. At first it was an easily hiked path, but the map showed a deviance from the trail. The ground was becoming muddy by the rain. She kept moving. She can do this. Jarod is going to be sorry he messed with her. For almost two miles she endured the rocks, the fallen trees, the mud, and practically scaling the side of a cliff. She was making good time. The rain was beating harder now and lightning lit the wilderness. The thunder made her nervous, always did. She saw the faint outline of the cabin just a few hundred yards away and she smiled victoriously. She wasn’t quite sure now what she anticipated for: a warm, dry place; the look on Jarod’s face when she barged in on him; or a warm, dry place—warm and dry is good. She quickened her step and as she jumped the last crevice, her foot slipped and she missed her destination. She slid down the side of the hill, feet first, uncontrollably, for 15 feet and landed on a big rock. On her way down, a branch ripped through her pant leg and through the skin of her calf, sending a surge of pain up her leg and through her body. She tried to scamper up the ledge but couldn’t get a firm grip.

“Damn!!!” she screamed in total frustration. “THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!!”

She weighed out her options. She had none—or at least she couldn’t think of one. She sat on the rock and cautiously looked over the ledge, thankful the boulder kept her from going further down the ravine. Her leg throbbed and her pant leg was soaked in blood. She was glad she sat down because her head was feeling a little light. What is she going to do now? She thought of an option but refused to acknowledge it. There was no way she was giving in to that. She’ll stay here all night and all day if she has to until she thinks of another solution.

*******

Jarod was finally beginning to relax. This was definitely a good idea. He stared at the crackling fire and listened to the rain beat on the roof of the cabin. He was enjoying the peace until a radio call interrupted his thoughts.

“Come in, Jarod. Jar…..in” the radio blurted, the reception sporadic.

“Jarod here, over.”

“Jarod, radio silence might be necessary…..days until we fix……weather is breaking……over.”

“I understand, over.”

“How was…..surprise?”

“What? Over”

“…..woman…..tall, dark-haired……see you? Over”

“Repeat? Over.” Jarod was beginning to have a sick feeling. Did he say a tall, dark-haired woman was coming to see him?

“Did she make it? ……left main station……hours ago. Over.”

“No. but I’ll take care of it.”

“Take care, Jarod. Over and out.”

Why was he panicking? Panicking may be too strong. Over-anxious might be a better word. No. Panicking is more fitting. Thoughts flooded his mind. What was she doing? Better question was, where is she? What if she’s badly hurt? What if she’s not hurt and nearby and soon HE’LL be badly hurt?

“This is NOT happening!” he uttered in frustration. Now he has to go out in the cold, wet rain to look for her. He didn’t mind *rescuing* her, but if she’s fine and is here just to threaten to take him back, his is not going to be happy. And the thought of having to put up with her attitude and stubbornness, well that’s too much for a guy on vacation.

******

“Damn it! Damn it! Damn it! I hate you, Jarod!” Miss Parker ranted toward his general direction. She stood up grunting and removed her gun from her holster. She fired three shots in the in the air and sat back down to wait.

In a few minutes, Miss Parker heard rustling on top. “Are you alright?” she heard him ask. She tilted her back to see Jarod hovering above her.

“I’m fine,” she grumbled.

“Toss me your gun.”

She stood up slowly and looked up, unsure if she really heard him correctly. “You want me to do what?”

“I said, throw me your gun.”

“No way!”

“You either give me your gun or I leave you down there.” Jarod was getting impatient. “What’s it gonna be, Miss Parker?”

“Fine! Here!” she said angrily.

“I said throw it to me, not AT me!”

“Just get me out of here.”

Jarod disappeared momentarily and in a few minutes a rope hung down on the side. Miss Parker grabbed it and began her ascend to the top. With her hurt leg it was tougher than she anticipated, but she kept at it. Jarod reached out for her to take his hand but she refused it. He sighed heavily, wondering why he’s even helping her. Stubborn woman. Miss Parker crawled up to the top on her own and stood up, buckling slightly when she put pressure on her injured leg. Jarod noticed this and was immediately concerned. “I thought you said you were fine?” he asked as he gathered up the rope.

“It’s just a small cut,” she replied defensively, waiting for him to lead the way. He didn’t want to turn his back on her but he knew she wouldn’t allow him to see her incapable. He walked ahead and Miss Parker followed limping, wincing at every step.

“Jarod?”

“Yeah? He asked without turning around, but something in her voice made him worry a little.

“I think I’m going to………pass out.” Jarod turned around quickly and caught her before she hit the ground. He carried her the rest of the way, somewhat relieved of her current condition. He scolded himself for the unkind thought about someone else’s discomfort and misfortune, but what the hey, he did come out here for a little peace and quiet. When she comes to, he can forget about his planned R and R.

********

Miss Parker woke up pleasantly warm. She was bundled up in a blanket and her leg was bandaged up. She looked around and she groaned at the reality of where she was. Her eyes widened at the realization that she was half-naked, only wearing her bra and underwear, beneath the blanket. She saw Jarod by the stove across the room and yelled at him. “Jarod! What happened to my clothes?!”

“They were wet, Parker,” he answered calmly as he continued to stir the contents in the pot.

“YOU took my clothes off?!” she asked in anger and disbelief.

“I’m sorry, Parker, my maid didn’t show up this morning so yes, I took your clothes off.”

Miss Parker was dumbstruck. Jarod? Sarcastic? Now there’s a twist.

“A little sarcastic, aren’t we?” she questioned.

“You bring it out in me, Parker.” Were they teasing each other just now? Not possible—they both have to be more careful.

“Are you hungry?” Jarod asked.

“What are you fixing?”

“Chili”

“Pass”

“Why are you here, Parker?”

“What do you think?” she asked pointedly, as if he asked the dumbest question in the world.

“I will not go back and you can’t make me,” he said lightly. He’s quite sure he’s at an advantage at this point.

Miss Parker conceded. He was right. She can’t make him. She was at his mercy and she hated it. She hates being stuck somewhere where she has no control or no one to torment. Where’s Broots when she needed him?

“You actually chose to live like this?” she asked, changing the subject, disgust evident in her voice.

“Some people actually enjoy the great outdoors, the serenity and solitude it provides. You should try it sometimes, you might like it.” Jarod looked at her and grinned at the grimacing expression she had. “Guess not,” he mumbled.

“You’re in the middle of nowhere, with no running water, no electricity, eating something that resembles dog food, and you call that fun? And to top it off, you’re by yourself. I think I’ll pass again.”

“You make it sound so inhuman.”

“Not inhuman, insane. How long are we stuck here?”

“Two or three days. And for your information, Parker, I CHOSE to be here. I WANTED to be here. Alone. By myself. Solo.”

“Well, now you have me,” she smirked in mock pleasure.

“I guess that would make me stuck.” He surprised himself at the lack of spite he meant to say that. He even said it in a semi-teasing way. What has gotten into him?

Miss Parker buried her head under the covers when she couldn’t come up with a snappy remark. She felt Jarod come near her but she didn’t uncover her head.

“I need to check your leg.”

She stuck her leg out of the blanket without protest. Jarod inspected it gently, removing the bandage and running a finger around the wound, pressing slightly at spots. Miss Parker didn’t have a problem with that, it’s his other hand that was making her uneasy. It cradled her leg firmly, but his fingers were making motions that felt like caresses. It’s a good think he can’t see her face. She might be imagining it all, but something about strong but gentle hands against her skin. A touch of crazy. And with Jarod, whether she’ll admit it or not, she trusts him. Definitely wouldn’t admit that to him. Heck, he probably knows already, but why let him know? It’s all part of the game they play. She was so lost in thought she almost didn’t hear him telling her about how much blood she lost and to stay on the couch a little longer as he tucked her leg back under the blanket.

A few moments later, she felt a light weight by her feet. She peeked out and found a pair of pants (not hers), a flannel thing, and her silk shirt laying there. “Ugh,” she complained. The thought of wearing ‘outdoor’ gear again was making her head hurt. At least her nice blouse will be what’s touching her skin. She could just walk around in her underwear, but that would probably create some problems—not for her, of course, but for Jarod. She chuckled at the thought. But she decided to be civil and not cause trouble. He has been nice about mending her leg and even lending her his clothes. Damn, she’s getting soft.

“Thank you,” she said sincerely. That should take him off guard.

Jarod looked at her bemusedly. “Well now, Miss Parker, that actually sounded sincere,” he chided.

“Don’t get used to it. It’s not a permanent condition,” she retorted. Betrayal from the inside again. From the look on his face, it didn’t phase him a bit. Does he know something she didn’t? Does he not believe that this Miss Parker is a tough, hard-nosed, stubborn person who only cares about herself, and doesn’t know the meaning of nice? Why doesn’t he get that?

Miss Parker dressed on the couch and when she finished, she lay her head back down and stared at Jarod. He walked towards the fire and stoked it. He then sat on the floor, his back on the couch that Miss Parker occupied, and stared at the flames. Maybe this won’t be too bad, he thought, especially since she’s not saying too much. Hope it stays that way. Miss Parker continued to look at him, waiting for him to bring something up about the Centre, or the past, OR her mother, or anything, but nothing. She sat up and stared at the fire, too. If he won’t start a conversation, neither will she. Quiet is good. Odd enough, it was a comfortable quiet, a peaceful silence. That’s a first.

That peace didn’t last long. Without warning, the door to the cabin burst open, a wave of cold air whipping through the room, and three strangers blockaded the entry way. One of the men shut the door and the other two cocked their rifles.

“Well, lookie here, boys, I think we’ve interrupted a little romantic getaway,” the bigger man slurred. Jarod stood up swiftly but calmly, urging Miss Parker to do the same by holding her up by the elbow. He instinctively shielded her with his own body as he defensively stood to face the three men. Miss Parker tried to see beyond Jarod but he wouldn’t let her.

“Thanks for the protection, Jarod, but I’d like a look at the situation, too,” she whispered harshly in his ear.

“Miss Parker, please,” Jarod gritted out.

The men drunkenly meandered toward the two and Jarod more urgently tried to put his form in front of Miss Parker. She, on the other hand, was getting annoyed. She shoved him aside and stood beside him.

“Did you hear that? Her name is MISS Parker.” One of the men got close to her face, making her grimace at the rank smell of his breath. Jarod fought to reach out and slug him but Miss Parker grabbed his arm. “What’s your first name?”

“I’d tell you, but then I’d have to kill you,” she responded.

The men laughed dumbly, but that was short-lived. In the next few minutes, Jarod and Miss Parker were thrown into a twisted game that would require them to join forces and to come up with a plan to survive.

**********

“I can’t believe this is happening!” Miss Parker complained, “This is NOT happening! How many times have I said that in my lifetime? And guess what, Jarod, everytime, it HAD TO DO WITH YOU!”

Her tirade was driving him nuts, but she had good reason. They were handcuffed (HER handcuffs) together and were rushing for their lives through the thick woods with only a small flashlight to help them see the path. The rain was down to a drizzle for the time being but the lightning and thunder continued their assault.

“Why didn’t we just knock the crap out of those bastards and make them run for their sorry lives?” she asked Jarod, who was in deep thought as he held her hand firmly, dodging limbs and stepping over rocks and fallen branches, but being mindful of her wounded leg.

“This gives me time to think”

“What?! We are being hunted like animals and you have to think?”

“They said they’ve done this earlier today. I know that place they spoke of. There might be someone out here who need our help.”

“I don’t want to help anyone, I just want to go home,” she griped. Why is he always thinking of everyone else? Why is he always wanting to help? She needs help, for crying out loud. Now he’s quickened his step, deliberately dragging her. She shouldn’t have complained.

“How far?” she questioned, softer this time, just in case.

“About 2 miles.”

“Noooooo,” she whined, “not two miles. Will you slow down?”

“There’s an old mine shaft about a mile away, we’ll stop there to rest.
We’d better hurry. The rain won’t hold off for long.”

*******

They stood at the mouth of the abandoned mine trying to assess the situation.

“I’m not going in there,” Miss Parker objected.

“You can stay out here if you’d like.”

“Have you forgotten? Where you go, I go?” Miss Parker pointed out, clanging the cuffs that joined their wrists.

“Then let’s go, I’m getting soaked.”

“What if there’s a wild animal in there?” she asked, jerking him back.

“I guess we’ll find out,” Jarod said forcefully, succeeding to drag her inside. “Here, hold this,” he said as he hander her the flashlight. Jarod guided her hand toward his mid section and proceeded to work on the cuffs. He used his belt buckle pin to unlock the metal from their wrists.

“Why didn’t you do that earlier?” she questioned.

“Would you have allowed me to hold your hand?” he questioned back. There’s that teasing again. Miss Parker shrugged her shoulders coyly. “Perhaps,” she responded. She was teasing too—must be the cold, stale air.

They brushed off the water from themselves and took off their outer shirts. As they began to settle down, a muffled sound alerted them to the darker part of the shaft. This time, Miss Parker didn’t have trouble shielding herself with Jarod’s body. She grabbed his arm with one hand and grasped the back of his shirt with the other.

“What was that?” she whispered worriedly on the back of his neck, giving him chills—that air must really be cold and stale. Jarod pointed the flashlight toward the sound but the light was too faint to illuminate but only a few feet in front of them.

“It didn’t sound like a big animal,” Jarod tried to sound reassuring, “probably just a critter finding a dry place, too.”

The lightning flashed and Miss Parker tightened her grip on Jarod’s arm. The silence after the thunder cracked was unnerving. “There it is again,” Miss Parker said softly. Jarod proceeded to walk toward the sound, with Miss Parker firmly attached to his back.

“Miss Parker!” Jarod voiced lowly, “loosen the grip, please. You’re cutting off the circulation in my arm.” Just to spite him, she tightened her hold even more and Jarod winced at the pain. He decided to ignore it and stopped mid-stride to listen. Miss Parker loosened her grip when she heard the noise again.

“It sounds like crying,” she noticed.

Jarod pointed the light toward the sound and called out, “Who’s there?”

“Please don’t hurt us,” a woman’s voice came weakly from behind a big rock. Jarod and Miss Parker heaved a sigh of relief.

“We won’t hurt you, we’re here to help,” Jarod offered gently.

Slowly, a man limped from behind the rock, towing a little girl with one hand and a very pregnant woman with the other. Jarod noticed the blood-soaked pant leg on the man and quickly came to his side. Miss Parker hurriedly aided the pregnant woman and guided her to sit by her husband. The little girl turned on the flashlight she was holding and held it up toward the ceiling, illuminating the area dimly.

“My name is Jarod and this is Parker. Let me have a look at your leg.”

“Are you a doctor?”

Jarod and Miss Parker exchanged looks as if they were in on a secret joke.

“I have been.”

The man stretch out his leg and Jarod cut the material with his pocket knife to reveal a very bloody bullet wound. So many questions on each other’s minds.

“My name is Brad and this is my wife, Molly, and our daughter, Rebecca. We thought you were them,” Brad said, his voice cracking with emotion. Miss Parker saw Jarod tense up and knew that anger was rising up in him.

“You’re very lucky,” Jarod began his assessment, “this isn’t too severe. But it needs to be cleaned out and bandaged to be clear of infection.”

“Give me your knife, Jarod,” Miss Parker said, snapping her fingers. Jarod was reluctant but trusted her anyway. Miss Parker saw the suspicion in his eyes and she gave him a knowing look, her eyes twinkling. She took the knife and made slits on the hem of her shirt and ripped two strips. She went over to the entry way and soaked one strip where the water dripped continuously. She handed the cloths to Jarod and stood back so he can work on Brad. Jarod watched the whole scene in wonder, staring at Miss Parker as if she’s grown another head. She smiled, an eyebrow raised. She so much enjoys shocking him.

Jarod tended to Brad and finally asked what happened. Molly offered the explanation.

“We were camping out in our camper at a secluded area where no one else was around for miles when three men with guns barged in on us. They ransacked our place and ran us out of our campsite.” She began to tear up at the recollection of their ordeal. Miss Parker put a hand on her shoulder and Molly continued. “They played a hunting game with us. They said that they were giving us a few minutes head start then they were going to hunt us down. We tried to run away as fast as we could. One of the men tried to hurry us along by shooting near our feet. With them being drunk, they fired too close and hit Brad on the leg. We thought you were them, that’s why we hid. Rebecca is afraid of lightning and thunder so we couldn’t keep her from crying.” Molly was now crying. Then she put a hand on the underside of her stomach and groaned.

“When are you due?” Miss Parker asked gently, worry clouding her face. She
looked over at Jarod and he was displaying the same concern.

“In three weeks.”

“Why don’t we try and get some sleep,” Jarod suggested, “I think we’ll be safe for now.”

The family huddled together and tried to sleep. Jarod and Miss Parker sat across from them, leaning on the posts that held up the beams above. The flashlights were turned off and they sat in the dark silence. The lightning flashed and the thunder roared occasionally, causing Rebecca to whimper. Jarod heard Miss Parker try to get comfortable and he also heard her shiver. He was getting chilled himself with only a t-shirt and wet jeans.

“Are you alright?” he whispered so not to disturb the others.

“No, I’m not,” she said annoyed.

“Can I suggest something?”

“What?”

“Promise you won’t hurt me?”

“If it’s going to make my life easier, I promise.”

“You can come closer and we can keep each other warm” Jarod suggested, “for survival purposes only, of course.” Before he can suggest it again, Miss Parker scooted over and Jarod felt their sides touch.

“This is not working.”

“How’s this?” Jarod asked as he wrapped an arm around her shoulders. “This is only for keeping warm, Parker, nothing more.”

“I’m holding you to that,” she challenged as she rested her head on his shoulder and planted her hand flatly on his chest. They were both surprised at how comforting this was. It even felt natural—as if they’ve done it a thousand times before.

“Um, Jarod?”

“Yeah?” he answered distantly.

“You’re caressing.”

“Sorry,” he replied as he stopped the tender stroking of her arm and shoulder.

“Miss Parker?”

“What?” she asked sleepily.

“You’re snuggling.”

“Deal with it,” she snapped, burying her head deeper in the crook of his neck and bringing up her legs so her knees rested on his lap. She smiled contented, feeling his warmth. She didn’t really care if he was comfortable or not. She was going to take full advantage. Jarod shook his head and moved to accommodate her. He, too, smiled at their position, drawing her closer to him. He’s not getting any sleep tonight—to many things to figure out.

*******

A couple of hours later, Jarod tried to awaken Miss Parker who was sleeping cozily in his arms. His arm was numb and his back hurt but he allowed her to sleep on him anyway. Damn, he’s too nice.

“Parker, wake up.”

“What’s going on?” she asked grogily.

“Shh, I have some things to take care of,” he whispered as he tried to untangle himself from her.

“I’m coming with you,” she insisted.

“No, you have to stay here and watch out for them. Besides, you have to stay off your leg.” Miss Parker nodded.

“You’d better be careful,” she warned.

“Didn’t know you cared,” he smirked.

“I don’t,” she lied blatantly. “I just want to get back to where it’s warm and dry.”

“Parker, if I don’t……”

“You’ll get it done and you’ll get back here,” she said confidently.

“You trust me?”

“Completely.” So she just admitted something to him, who cares at this point. People’s lives are at stake and he is their one hope of getting out of this predicament. She can afford to be supportive. Damn, she’s getting nice.

Jarod smiled at her warmly before he disappeared into the darkness. Miss Parker smiled back weakly and tried to go back to sleep. No chance in that.

For hours, Miss Parker sat, watching the Morrison family sleep—or try to. Molly moved and groaned a lot. She looked out the mine opening and was thankful the rain has stopped and the moon peeked out of a break in the clouds, casting a soothing glow.

“Where is Jarod?” she thought worriedly. It shocked her that she was worried about him and this family. There has been way too many admissions on this little adventure already—it was freaking her out. Can she really have “nice” in her veins? Does it have to be Jarod who brings it out in her? Are those really tingles that run through her when he’s near? Damn, she’s becoming soft—soft on the stinking, handsome lab rat.

She got tired of sitting so she carefully stepped out of the shaft into the open area. The smell of the earth after the rain was somewhat intoxicating. She pushed the sense aside—she CANNOT enjoy this. After a few moments, her ears perked up and her heart began to beat faster. She heard rumbling from a distance, the sound of a vehicle approaching.

“Jarod,” she hoped loudly.

She waited behind a tree just to be safe and listened as the sound became closer and headlights pierced the darkness. It was someone on a 4-wheel ATV (all-terrain vehicle). The machine stopped at the mouth of the mine and the figure dismounted, calling her name.

“It IS Jarod,” she thought joyfully. Then she stopped herself for being too excited. After all, he might think all this glee is for him. She limped toward him, revealing her position.

“Jarod!” she called out as she got nearer. He hurried to her side and grabbed her by the waist with one arm. Did he just hug her? No. He was just helping her—you know, the hurt leg? And what was she doing? Hanging on his neck like she has this need to be close to him? She reminded herself that it was the hurt leg again.

“Is everything….okay?” she asked expectantly.

“Things are taken care of. You’ll see when we get back to the cabin.”

*******

The family emerged from the mine and joined them outside, all looking very relieved and happy to see that Jarod had returned. Jarod handed Molly and Rebecca dry shirts and informed everyone that things are taken care of and that he’ll be taking Molly first to the cabin. He excused himself and motioned for Miss Parker to follow him aside. He unbuttoned his quilted flannel shirt and instead of just handing it to her, he draped it around her shoulders and assisted her in putting it on. She looked at him in gratitude —no smart-ass remarks, no tension, nothing that resembles Miss-Parker-of-the-Center. And what about him? He couldn’t resist running his thumb across her jaw, ever so lightly. Now she was really baffled. Why didn’t she slap his hand away? Why didn’t she move her hand when it collided with his as he helped her button up the shirt? Why didn’t she break eye contact when he looked at her so weirdly? Why? Why? Why?

******

Jarod returned to Miss Parker, Brad, and Rebecca after dropping Molly off at the cabin. He then instructed Miss Parker to get on the 4-wheeler with him and for Brad and Rebecca to follow the trail. He’ll come back for them when Miss Parker is dropped off.

Jarod mounted the vehicle and fired up the engine. Miss Parker’s front half was firmly pressed against his back, fitting nicely and snugly with his form—she didn’t mind that at all. Jarod was quite pleased, too, since she made him hot—no, not made him hot, kept him warm—what he means is: less cold.

“Hang on, Miss Parker!” Jarod warned her as they bounced off the side of the hill, barreling through rocks, fallen limbs, and swerving through embankments of dirt and mud.

Was she supposed to hang on to him? Because she really wants to. Holding on the back rails was more steady, but holding on to him would make her feel more secure. This was not a smooth ride. She decided to think about herself and wrapped her arms around his chest and pressed her cheek on the back of his shoulder, feeling him tense up for just a second and then feeling him ease in her embrace. She wasn’t REALLY embracing him, just hanging on, except it felt really good to hold on, to feel his muscular body, to take in his scent, to be warmed by his heat. She HAD to hold on tightly—it was, after all, a VERY, VERY rough ride.

“Tell me you didn’t take Molly this way,” she said in disbelief, leaning forward and resting her chin on his shoulder. Jarod turned his head to the side to answer her and their breaths mingled in a most sensual way--so close to a kiss, it gave both of them chills that traveled up and down their spine and through their fingertips.

“That’s why it took me so long to get back, I had to take her the long way,” Jarod responded, turning his head back to face forward, suddenly feeling flushed.

“How is she?”

“She’s in labor, that’s why I needed to get you there quickly,” he smiled.

“What?!” Miss Parker shrieked, giving Jarod a hard squeeze. He let out a grunt and hit the gas.

“I don’t know anything about women in labor and delivering babies!!”

“You helped deliver Brigitte’s baby, that makes you experienced.”

“I also wanted to kill her.”

“After I drop you off, I’ll pick up Brad and Rebecca.”

“Why don’t I pick up Brad and Rebecca and YOU deal with Molly?”

“I don’t trust you with my 4-wheeler.”

“And you trust me with a pregnant woman?!”

“Completely.” That’s a low blow.

Miss Parker rolled her eyes and heaved a big sigh, clinging to Jarod tighter—not for security, but out of frustration—frustration because she’s not acting like she usually acts, because they’re treating each other like they’re friends and she’s liking it, because yes, there’s sexual tension, because he’s a jerk and won’t let her drive the 4-wheeler, and because she’s not really caring about her own well-being and is really concerned about these people who she’ll never see again after this is all over. Here’s that question again: What has gotten into her? She knows the answer. One name: Jarod. Jerk. Making her feel things, and care, and be nice, and all those things she can’t take back to the Centre.

*********

They got to the cabin in no time. Miss Parker looked to both sides as they approached the building, impressed at what Jarod has accomplished. The three men were gagged and were tightly secured to a tree. The rain began to fall again and the men began to wiggle and squirm, groaning at their unfortunate predicament. Jarod and Miss Parker had no sympathy. Jarod held out a hand and helped Miss Parker off the ATV. Things are definitely different: she actually took his hand and let him help her. Not only that, she was already off the thing and they were still holding hands.

“Here, take this,” she offered him the flannel shirt.

“Thank you. Don’t have a baby without me,” he smiled.

“Don’t worry, it takes two to tango, and you’re on top of the list,” she responded and he was off. It took him a minute for that to register. What did she mean by that? What kind of insinuation wast she insinuating? On the other end, Miss Parker was laughing, wondering if he’ll get it. Then it hit her, did she really say what she said? So mischievous…….

*******

Molly continued to have labor pains, making Miss Parker uneasy every time Molly groaned in agony.

“How long was your labor with Rebecca?” Miss Parker asked curiously, glancing from the couch at the pacing woman.

“About 12 hours,” Molly responded, “but they say the second is always shorter.”

Damn, it’s going to be a long day.

*******

After less than an hour, the women heard the ATV outside. Miss Parker stood from the couch and headed to the door to let Jarod, Brad, and Rebecca in. As she headed there, Molly let out a very disturbing moan, making Miss Parker hurry her pace.

“Get in here!” Miss Parker ordered at anybody and everybody. “Quick, I think she’s ready to pop.”

Jarod gave her a quizzical look as he passed her and made his way to Molly. He sat her down on the bed and instructed her to take slow, deep breaths. He then quickly and efficiently arranged a mat on the floor and assisted Molly to lie down there. Miss Parker stood by and waited for Jarod to give instructions. Brad paced anxiously, too anxiously—he couldn’t focus. He wouldn’t even come near Molly. Jarod built a fire under the stove and put on some water to heat. Molly let out another yelp. “I think the baby’s coming!”

Jarod knelt down and checked and sure enough, Molly was fully dilated. Miss Parker noticed Brad nervously walk around and she went to him and grabbed him by the arm.

“Get a grip! Your wife is about to have a baby and you’re a wreck.”

“I—I know,” Brad stammered, “I-I can’t be in here. I’ll pass out, I know I will.”

“Then take your daughter and wait outside on the porch.”

“Is she going to be alright?” he asked concerned.

“Jarod is an excellent doctor, he’ll take care of her. Now go before I have to carry you out.” Brad smiled at her weakly and took Rebecca by the hand and went outside.

“What do you want me to do?” Miss Parker asked.

“Get behind her and support her back while she pushed. I can see the baby’s head. It won’t be long.” Miss Parker nodded and did what Jarod said.

*******

After the last, long-awaited push, Molly gave it her all and the baby was welcomed into the world. Jarod cut the cord and grabbed the sheet to wrap the baby in.

“Jarod, Molly’s out cold.” Miss Parker voiced.

“Here, Miss Parker, take the baby and clean him out. Molly lost a lot of blood and I have to get the placenta out of her.”

Jarod worked on Molly, hiding the concern he had. She has to be okay, she just has to.

“Jarod! The baby’s not breathing!” Miss Parker called out nervously, “What do I do?”

“Clean out his passages and breathe into both his nose and mouth. With two fingers, put pressure on his chest with the count one and two and three and four and five. Repeat.”

“YOU do this!”

“I have my own problems, Miss Parker! Molly isn’t breathing either and I can’t find a pulse.”

“Damn!” she muttered.

In unison, Jarod and Miss Parker worked on Molly and the baby. But no results. No life.

“Damn it! Breathe!” Miss Parker shouted in frustration. “Come on, little one, breathe,” she said softer and sadder, tears beginning to form in her eyes. But she wasn’t about to give up. She kept on, looking over to Jarod occasionally, finding the determination she needed. She kept him going, too. The fire in her urged him to not give up.

Miss Parker breathe into the baby’s mouth and nose and as she put her head up to take a breath, she heard the most beautiful sound she’s ever heard. The baby cried. Miss Parker broke down and cried, too, holding the infant close to her chest. The instant the cry was heard, Molly regained consciousness, her heart finding its beat. Jarod heaved a sigh of relief and looked over at Miss Parker, smiling at her in victory.

Miss Parker finished cleaning up the baby as Jarod fixed up Molly. He then carried Molly to the bed. Jarod inspected the child and when he was finished placed him in the mother’s arms. Miss Parker let Brad and Rebecca back in the cabin and they hurried to Molly and the new baby. The four family members lay on the bed together, a picture of good fortune and happy endings.

Jarod and Miss Parker flopped on the couch exhausted. What a day this has been. The fire in the fireplace was about out, but who cares. Everyone was too tired to deal with it. Neither said a word for a little while. Didn’t have to. They sat together close enough that their fingers were touching, slightly caressing. Miss Parker turned her head in a circle, trying to ease the tension. She put her hand behind her neck and began to rub it.

“Let me do that for you,” Jarod offered.

“No, you’re as tense as I am,” Miss Parker countered, not looking at him.

“Are you going to be stubborn about this, too?”

“I’m not being stubborn.” She looked at him and narrowed her eyes. “YOU sit down here on the floor in front of me.”

“Why?” he questioned.

“Because I said so.”

“What if I don’t want to?”

“Now who’s being stubborn?” she insisted.

Jarod gave in and sat down with his back on the couch, settling between her legs. Miss Parker grabbed his shoulders and began to massage them, working her way to his neck. Jarod tensed up.

“Relax, I won’t choke you,” she laughed, “though I’ve thought about it once or twice.”

Jarod hung his head down and allowed her to ease away his tension. It felt really good. He was quite surprised at her spontaneous act of niceness. He thought he’d better take advantage of this—it won’t last long. Was that a moan that escaped his lips?

“One day, Parker, I’ll return the favor,” he said, almost sounding hypnotized.

“I expect double favor,” she replied, grinning at the power she had over the genius. He’s like putty in her hands. Was this act just to prove her control, or was it an excuse for her to touch his well-defined physique? A little of both, A LOT of the latter. Then the power struggle caved in. She looked behind her and saw the family huddled together, sleeping. She and Jarod had accomplished a great deal together. Together—what a foreign and freeing concept. She turned back around and stopped massaging. She reached around and wrapped her arms around his neck, touching her cheek to his.

“Don’t say anything,” she whispered,” I just need to hold on to something strong and stable.”

Jarod held her arms and pressed tightly against her. Obviously, he needed that, too.

********

Jarod and Miss Parker slept on the couch wrapped in each other’s arms as the sun peeked over the horizon. The radio blasted through the peaceful silence and Jarod was immediately up, his attention to the man on the other end.

“Jarod, come in,”

“Jarod here, over.”

“Some disturbing news: a family of three from the Mt. Ranier lower campground has been reported missing. It looks like there has been a struggle. A full search is underway. We need your help. Over.”

“The family is safe. They’re here with me. And to let you know, it’s a family of four now. The woman just had a baby. Over.”

“There are also reports of three men in the area who are up to no good. I advice you to keep your eyes open and be careful. Over.”

“I have also apprehended those men and have restrained them. Over.”

“Man, you’ve been busy. What ever happened with the good lookin’ brunette?”

“She’s safe, too. I need a helicopter to get them off this mountain. Can you arrange that? Over.”

“I’ll have the copter be there in a half hour and I’ll have the team of authorities to haul off those thugs. Over and out.”


Jarod walked over to the couch and answered her question before she could even ask it.

“There’s a clearing behind the cabin, just beyond the trees—about fifty yards away,” he explained.

“A helicopter? I could have gotten here by helicopter? Why didn’t anybody tell me that!?”

“You didn’t ask.”

“Aaaaghhh.”

“I would have heard it and have gotten away anyway,” he responded,” and besides, you would have missed all the fun.”

All she could do was glare at him.

**************

The medics and rangers arrived and they helped the Morrison family out to the helicopter, leaving Jarod and Miss Parker behind momentarily.

Jarod grabbed Miss Parker by the arm, stopping her from following the crowd out the door. “I can’t go back with you.”

“I know,” Miss Parker said, turning to face him, their bodies only inches apart.

“Thank you,” Jarod said in gratitude.

“No, Jarod, thank you.” Miss Parker replied and she reached up, cupping his face with her hands and placing a kiss on his lips. That should really put him in a whirlwind.

They smiled at each other and walked out toward the helicopter, their arms around each other.

“You mention this to anyone and you’re a dead man,” Miss Parker threatened, still holding on to his waist as they walked.

“Not a word.”

“I want my gun back.”

“I’ll return it personally.”

“I suppose you think I shouldn’t chase you anymore.”

“That would be nice.”

They reached the helicopter and Jarod helped Miss Parker in. She turned to him one last time and she tried to muster up all the Ice Queen qualities she had. “I’m not nice,” she replied menacingly. She shook her head, narrowed her eyes, and gritted her teeth in annoyance at his response. Damn that handsome, dimpled smile.



THE END.