Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: None of the characters belong to me--just borrowing them.
Thank you for not suing.



"Double" Pretending

part VIII
by Rachel





Rachel bolted from her sleep, troubled by a vision in her head. She got up, paced, and looked through the pictures that Jarod and Broots ‘borrowed’ from the security camera at the O’Malley’s bar--pictures of the men that approached her and Miss Parker. Jarod and Broots managed to run a bio on
each of the men. They also had pictures of men when the other women victims were there. There were some of the same men from both sets of photos. Something was not right. They were there--the killers were there--she could sense it. She decided to call Miss Parker to help her. “It’s only 12:15 in the morning,” she reasoned, “Max won’t mind.”

“What?” Miss Parker answered the phone grogily.

“Max, it’s Rachel. Sorry to wake you, but I’m having trouble sleeping. I want to talk about the case. There’s something we’re missing. I sense something is about to go wrong.”

“I’ll be right there. Jarod is at the hospital. I’ll call him on his beeper.”

‘She has his beeper number?’ Rachel thought after hanging up, but then she dismissed it. “Quit being so insecure!” she scolded herself.

RACHEL’S APARTMENT

“Thanks for coming, Max. Come here and take a look at these pictures. See if you can figure something.” Rachel ushered Miss Parker to the couch and coffee table. Miss Parker intently looked through them, hoping that she could sense something that was troubling Rachel. Rachel sat next to her and tried to explain her visions. “I keep seeing pictures of a boy getting beaten. You remember when I said they could be taking it out on women because of what their mother might have done? The hand that beats the boy is a man’s hand. The boys look exactly the same, but somehow different. The mirror image looks like from an old photo.”

“You’re right, Rachel. We’re being deceived somehow . I sense it, too.”

Rachel got up to make some coffee. “Would you like some coffee and dessert?”

“Sure. What is it?”

“I found this delicious new cream pie with a pistachio nut topping. I’ll set some out for Jarod, too, for when he gets here.”

“Don’t bother, he’s allergic to pistachios.” Miss Parker was so intent on analyzing the pictures she realized too late that she just divulged information about Jarod.

“How do you know that?” Rachel asked suspiciously.

“Um, I think he mentioned it to Broots once,” Miss Parker tried to cover.

Miss Parker noticed the uncertain look on Rachel’s face. “Something else is bothering you. What is it?”

Rachel sat on the couch and heaved a big sigh. “It’s Jarod.”

‘Oh boy, here we go,’ Miss Parker thought.

“He acts like he’s still interested in me, but he’s been so distracted and distant. I don’t understand him.”

“Maybe it’s his way of sparing you from the pain. If I were you I’d dump the guy. What do you think is going to happen when this case is done? Yeah, he’s going to disappear again. You said yourself he’s very mysterious. Who knows, he might be hiding some forbidden secret. I’d take the friendship and stay away from the commitment--especially from someone like him.”

“I suppose you’re right. But I can’t help but be attractive to him. He’s so charming. Don’t tell me you don’t find him somewhat captivating.”

“I’d either be blind or dead if I didn’t. He IS very handsome. But he’s also stubborn and arrogant.”

“That’s funny, he called you the same thing, and add over-bearing to that.” Rachel said jokingly.

“Hey, he picked up on my good qualities.” The women laughed .

“I am a little jealous of you, Max.”

“Oh? Why is that?”

“I know you and Jarod irritate each other, but still I sense a connection between you two. Whenever you’re together, it seems like you’re involved in some kind of private joke. And the way you finish each other’s sentences, like you know what each other is thinking. Maybe I’m just paranoid. I don’t know. And that stunt you pulled this afternoon. How did you know he would take it lightly? And why wasn’t he outraged by it?”

“You’re right, you ARE paranoid,” Miss Parker laughed. “Don’t beat yourself up with this guy. It’s not worth the heartache. He probably has a girl at every port. Give him the old “I just want to be friends speech” before he gives it to you.” Miss Parker advised. ‘I can’t believe I’m giving her advice! I should just put this girl out of her misery and tell her the truth.’ Miss Parker thought.

The two women talked some more and tried to figure out the case a little longer. Jarod phoned Rachel and told her he couldn’t get out of his responsibilities at the hospital.

Miss Parker dragged herself back into her hotel room. She was a little on edge from the dreadful feeling of this murder case. She glanced at her watch. 3:30 a.m. 6:00 in the morning is going to come awfully quick. She cursed at the thought of their morning run. She went into the bedroom and caught sight of the lump on the bed. She pulled the covers back so she could slip under them without disturbing the sleeping man. She caressed Jarod’s cheek and kissed his lips gently before lying on her sides, her back to him. Immediately, he sought her and wrapped his arm around her waist, nuzzling the back of her neck. She welcomed the security and tried to get some sleep.

********

“Good morning ladies! And gentleman!” Frank’s voice boomed across the land, well, it sounded like it to Miss Parker and Rachel.

“Good morning, Frank!” Broots echoed back. They remembered each other from the club.

‘Where do they get their energy?’ the women grumbled silently. This morning, Miss Parker let Jarod sleep in a little and John and Malone were called to a meeting with the Director, so Broots was volunteered to keep an eye on them. Miss Parker insisted he just run along with them. She was surprised he agreed so easily.

They ran their couple of miles and stopped at the bench where Frank rested. He offered them water, which they readily accepted. Broots had his own supply so didn’t need any from Frank.

“I told my son about your investigation of Amber’s murder and he said he was willing to tell you anything he knows. I’m meeting him right now at the parking lot. Why don’t you come with me to meet him and talk with him? It’s just another few hundred yards from here,” the old man smiled, “you
still got it in you?”

“Only if I get to walk,” Miss Parker complained.

They walked over to the sole car that was parked behind a clump of trees where a man stood. It was odd that the two back doors were opened. They got to the vehicle and all of a sudden, Rachel and Miss Parker swayed and felt like they were going to fall down. Broots caught Miss Parker and Frank’s son caught Rachel.

“Wh-what’s happening to me?” Miss Parker asked distantly.

Broots was overcome with fear. ‘Oh no, oh no.’ he chanted. He looked at Frank who advanced at him smiling menacingly, while Frank’s son pushed the unconscious Rachel in the back seat. “Wake up, Miss Parker,” he said nervously. Miss Parker was slumped in his arms. Broots struggled, but he finally managed to take something from his pocket that would save the lives of Rachel and his friend. Frank advanced, grabbed Miss Parker, and punched Broots in the face, knocking him out of consciousness.