Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story Microsoft Word Chapter or Story

- Text Size +

DISCLAIMER: None of the characters belong to me--just borrowing them.
Thank you for not suing.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: I know, I know, how dumb could this be? You’ll see what I mean when you read it! But, hey, why not involve everyone!? So, I was a little sidetracked--sorry.


"Double" Pretending
part VII
by Rachel




„Oh my gosh! Jarod! I can’t believe it’s you!" The girl was WAY too excited. Rachel and Miss Parker stopped and turned to see all the commotion with Jarod.

„Zoe." Jarod said, barely moving his mouth. Of all people to run into, it had to be her. How is he going to get out of this one? He felt guilty, nervous, actually glad to see she was okay, worried how Rachel and Miss Parker were going to react to this. All that emotion flooding through a person couldn’t be good.

Zoe slung her arms around his neck and hugged him fiercely. He returned the embrace reluctantly.

Miss Parker stood there with her arms crossed and her eyebrow raised. ‘This is interesting,’ she pondered. She looked over at Rachel and saw the fire in her eyes. Miss Parker was amused. Jarod has gotten himself into something--should be fun to see how gets out of it.

Jarod looked at Zoe and was concerned how she was. „You doing okay?"

„I’m fine. Still in remission." Then Zoe narrowed her eyes scowled at Jarod.

„What the hell happened to you?!" she demanded. „Last time we were together, we were planning a vacation."

„Zoe, I’m sorry…."

„Sorry?! I was kidnapped by some psychos who wanted to kill you. Your father rescues me then he disappears. You disappear and I don’t hear from you! For months I waited, then I was worried sick that those people got to you and killed you!" Zoe was getting hot. Jarod couldn’t get a word in to explain or apologize.

Rachel made a move toward the two. Miss Parker held her arm and asked what she was doing.

„I’m going to find out what’s going on." Miss Parker shrugged her shoulders and let Rachel loose. Broots darted his eyes between the scene and Miss Parker, not knowing what to do. „Are you going to do something, Miss Parker?"

„Damn right, I’m going to do something."

Rachel came up to Jarod and put her hand on his arm. Jarod turned his head and panicked. ‘Oh no, I’m a dead man.’

Zoe glared at Rachel. Rachel glared back.

„Who’s she?" Zoe asked.

Jarod introduced them hurriedly and simmed a way to escape. He was glad that Miss Parker was staying out of the way.

Then another woman came up to the trio and looked at Jarod angrily. She pushed Zoe aside and stood in front of him. „That’s why you never called me back, you two-timing jerk!" And she slapped him--not hard, just enough to make a scene--and walked off in a huff.

„But, I-I……"Jarod stammered, confused at what just happened. He didn’t know who that woman was. He turned to look at Miss Parker and she was smiling a very amused smile. All he could do was give her an „I’m-going-go-get-you-for-this" look.

Broots smiled along with her, but immediately frowned when Jarod looked their way. „That wasn’t very nice, Miss Parker. It was funny, but not very nice."

„Who said I was a nice?"

After recovering from what just happened, Jarod took control. He excused himself from Rachel and took Zoe aside to explain.

„I’m really sorry, Zoe."

„Like I said, Jarod, I thought you were dead. Then I find you here with another woman, no, two. What happened? What happened to us? I waited for you for months."

„I found my brother, but he was seriously injured in an explosion. It took a long time for him to recover. At the same time, an old friend helped me through it. We helped each other. She and I got close. I thought about you and I wanted to let you know what was happening, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I didn’t want to hurt you."

„Was that her? Was she the one you fell in love with?" Zoe questioned about Rachel.

„No."

„There’s someone else?" Zoe asked in disbelief.

„That’s an even longer story. I’m glad you’re doing fine. And I’m really sorry. You have to know I care about you." Jarod apologized sincerely.

„I know. After a year, I realized that you were gone and I resolved it. I’m fine. I’m glad you found someone--just don’t disappear on her, nothing hurts more than hanging on to something that doesn’t exist. And thanks to your recommendation about a new therapy and medication, I think I’ll even outlive you." Zoe smiled an understanding smile. They hugged each other for a final good-bye. „I’ll tell Nana you said hi. Good-bye, Jarod."

„Good-bye Zoe." Jarod said sadly, but relieved, watching her walk away. Now to deal with Rachel AND Miss Parker.

Behind a pillar, a man watched in anticipation. ‘Tomorrow, you’ll be ours tomorrow,’ he thought with a sinister chuckle, and he walked away, mingling with the crowd.